3.4/5 (577 ratings)

About Chicken of the Sea

Chicken of the Sea Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chicken of the Sea?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chicken of the Sea?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2014

I only eat solid white - bought 4 cans on sale at Walgreens. Opened tuna and it is not solid and smells awful. Worse than cat food. I cannot eat it. Expiration is 4/29/17, so it is not expired. Would like a refund of 4 cans that I purchased.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2014

I purchased cans of the very same UPC numbered COS Chunk White Albacore Tuna as another reviewer (Jennifer of Plantation, FL, review Feb. 16, 2012) did. Her purchase was two and a half years ago before mine, and nothing has changed. It is definitely not Albacore, and my cans looked and smelled like the slimy mess many others report. UPC is 048000033550. The poor overall satisfaction for this product would be even lower except that the system did not recognize the sarcasm of 4 stars in Jared's funny review on June 22, 2014. Thanks, Jared, for making me laugh while feeling disgusted by this tuna.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2014

Recently purchased several cans of Chicken of the Sea Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water. Opened 1st can... Yuck. Opened 2nd can... Yuck again. I didn't bother with the rest of the cans. Returned them to the market for a credit. The cans I opened were NOT solid white... but brownish, mushy and extremely watery. Of course, I threw them away. I don't know what's suddenly going on with the quality control at Chicken of the Sea, but, frankly, I'm not sticking with this product to find out! On to other canned tuna....

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

Solid White Chicken of the Sea on sale @ Stop and Shop, bought a case - 24.00 dollars. Opened 3 cans, soft mushy and a urine smell to it. It seems economic fraud to sell inferior grade product as solid white and have this disgusting consequences. Tried to bring back remaining and they would not take it back.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2014

I opened the can, smelled horrible! Not fresh at all! Taste old and fishy. Very disappointed. I lived in Alaska for 20 years. I know fresh fish. In addition I fish for Albacore Tuna in California. This was by far the worst Albacore I ever had!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2014

Several days ago, I was eating oyster stew that I made at home. I like the stringy meat part but there was some other string like object in there as well. I believe it is some sort of fishing net. I put the rest of the product back in the can and in the fridge. I may move it to the freezer. For obvious reasons, there is also a small amount of milk, crackers and pepper in there, too.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2014

I bought 12 cans of, "Albacore tuna in water." This is not albacore. It is a mixture of yellow and brown, and mushy stuff on the bottom. The tuna itself is like a soft mush, like cat food. I made up 3 cans and it is the worst. It went in the garbage. I wouldn't even feed it to my pet. I would like to get my money back. I am a senior and have eaten tuna all my life. Lived on fish as I grew up on the Cape Cod area. I have never had such a product that is nowhere near what it says on the label. I can see why they don't have a phone number or address on their cans. Please refund my $15.00. Will never buy this brand again, and have told everyone in my large family not to buy, "Chicken of the Sea". More like garbage of the sea.

Original review: July 12, 2014

Opened two cans and one was mostly as expected--white chunks of tuna as I have received in the past--and the other was grey, slimy, and smelly. The two cans of presumably the exact same product were significantly different with the later being uneatable. Subsequent cans were more similar to the latter in quality level than to the former. I have never experienced such bad quality tuna even when buying the regular, non-white tuna. In addition, I cannot remember ever experiencing such variation in product quality when purchasing a batch of items concurrently. Obviously, this company has terribly quality control and is guilty of false advertising at minimum.

Original review: June 22, 2014

A culinary masterpiece.

I can't wrap my head around all of the anger and disappointment I'm seeing in these reviews. When I buy Chicken of the Sea, I always get exactly what I expected. From the moment I cut into the unusually soft can (possibly made of lead) and my olfactory system is bombarded by an odor I haven't experienced since I spent one long, hot summer trapped in a small, windowless apartment with my unwashed grandmother, I know I'm in for a treat.

The substance inside (let's call it tuna) is gelatinous and grey, and reminds me of that time in high school when I dissected a sheep's brain. There are small, black flakes which are either scales or the scabs fallen from the bloodied fingers of the authentically juvenile factory workers that packaged this delicacy. And every bite is riddled with hard, crunchy bits of what are either fish bones or the fingernails of the number of aforementioned children who were too slow to evade the canning press after 72 hours of consecutive, unpaid labor hours.

At the end of the day, when I open up a can of Chicken of the Sea, I'm not sure if I'm eating a fish that was put through a meat grinder whole, or Thai orphans that clearly should have paid better attention during their manufacturing safety orientation class. And that's just how I like it.

Original review: June 15, 2014

I just opened a can for lunch. I was surprised to see it was not "solid" which costs a lot more money. I usually buy a different brand. Then when I dumped it into a bowl, the bottom had a thick layer of mushy white gooey stuff I've never seen in my life and I am 62 years old. I couldn't even think of eating it and I gave it to the cats.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2014

I have made Tuna salad for 40 years to everyone's delight and lately our favorite brand is Costco's. This time I found a special at Giant on Chicken of the sea Solid White Albacore Tuna and decided to make a double recipe. What a mistake. The flavor and texture were so bad I tried several ways to fix it but in the end had to discard it. On a positive side, the cats love it.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2014

This seems to be a continuing scenario with several tuna companies. First it was Bumble Bee, which I stopped purchasing over a year ago, and now, add to the list Chicken of the Sea. Here is the email I sent to their customer service:

"This may be only ONE example of MANY cans of supposed SOLID WHITE Albacore tuna that is NOTHING as the name suggests.

"Once again, I open a can (a lousy 5 oz I might add, yet the price stays the same or more) to find an ashen grey matter of disgusting, heavy fish odored "tuna". It's pure garbage. Unfortunately, I have several more cans in my cabinet that at some point will need to open and wonder what surprise will await me? But, after those are gone, that's it for me and Chicken of the Sea (Ah, good new slogan). No one should be sold this junk or have to eat it. And I've had numerous experiences of this poor quality stuff for well over a year now. Where is the quality control? Or isn't there any decent "Solid White" tuna left? If this is all you are able to sell, then stop marketing it as Solid White Albacore, as it's not and the heavy fish odor only sends out an alarm that it's BAD."

Yet another canned fish company that won't be on my shopping list no matter what SALE price it might be.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2014

UPC code 48000 00262 4 12 oz can. Tuna was mushy, dark color and smelled really bad. Choose to throw away rather than risk food poisoning. We will not buy this brand again.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2014

This is the 10th can of Chicken of the Sea tuna in a row that I consider unacceptable. The "Best By Date" on my remaining can is 06/26/17. All of the cans were way within their Best Buy Date. I had to throw out much of the tuna. Not only was it grey, it had an smell that I consider to be unfit for human consumption. The Bar Code on the remaining can is 48000 00095 8. The code on this can is ZYS7X ASWAB 16:07. I understand that they are trying to be "Dolphin Friendly" but the product in the cans is not "Solid White" as stated. I'm trying to find "Three Diamonds" tuna but I can no longer find it in the grocery stores.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2014

Just so you know, Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon is a product of Thailand. Therefore, no one, including the FDA knows how this product is processed. Fair warning, over 70 percent of our seafood in the US is from a foreign country and about 2-3 percent is examined per the FDA. In addition, parasites are known to be in our food products from foreign countries and even in the US. Learn more about this issue on Doctoroz.com.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2013

Opened a can of Chicken of the Sea White Albacore Tuna 11/2103 with a good date of 3-28-2017. Smell was worse than the dumpsters outside of restaurants! Tuna in the can was not white. It was a gray slimy mess with dark brown and black pieces in it. I emailed the company through their website with no response. Now I have called them and still waiting for a response.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2013

I haven't had very good luck with tuna lately. The tuna I have purchased has smelled bad when it was opened. It smelled as if it had gone too long before packing (but I'm no expert). I only know I had it and didn't feel very good that night and the next day. I'm thinking about just not buying this brand any more as I have had now several experiences like this in the past year. What's going on?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2013

I am more surprised when I get a 'good' can of tuna. I have called CS (no one ever answers) and when I finally did get hold of someone, I was SCOLDED because they have some kind of policy that they will replace ONE time. What about the other BAD TUNA???? I bought a BIG can to make a casserole, had everything ready and opened the tuna, WORST SMELLING tuna I'd ever smelled and it looked like dark mush, was SOLID WHITE ALBACORE IN WATER. I got a letter and a coupon for a free can. The letter was telling ME, I had to be POLITE. I sent the letter and the coupon, back to the attention of the 'so-called' CS rep who sent it to me with my own comments. High priced, horrible tuna, I will never eat it again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2013

I recently purchased 3 cans of Chicken of the Sea Solid White Albacore Tuna in water, 12 ounce, Bar code 0 48000 00262 4. The cans are labeled best by 3/13/17. I opened one can and prepared a sandwich for my husband to take to work for lunch. I thought the tuna smelled off or old but went ahead and made his sandwich. Later I sampled some of the tuna and immediately gagged and spit out the spoiled fish. Fearing food poisoning, I quickly called my husband at work and warned him not to eat the tuna but to throw it away. Good thing I caught him before he ate it. I later learned there is a recall of the 5-oz. cans of tuna. I think the problem is not just limited to the 5-oz. but also the 12-oz. cans! Totally grossed out and hoping I don't get food poisoning from the little bit I did ingest.

Original review: June 5, 2013

Purchased a SOLID White Albacore Tuna in water for a tuna salad. It is NOT Solid Tuna! I noticed they are now ripping off the public by reducing the size of the can from 6 oz. to 5 oz., and what once was Chunk tuna is now Solid tuna, apparently. The tuna in the can was shredded, it was Not Solid Tuna! Tried to reach Chicken of the Sea customer affairs, only to be given a form to fill out. No response from them to date either.

What once was healthy food now is reduced to GARBAGE so the CEOs can make a few cents out of each can. I will NEVER purchase this product again!!!

Original review: May 17, 2013

I purchased this can last week and opened it tonight. Best by date is 03/14/17 code is ZLE5EASWAE 14:07 (the first E and 5 might be an F and S; it was difficult to read). Tuna looked like no solid white albacore I have ever seen. It was beige/grey, somewhat slimy with very little solid chunks, lots of mushy tuna. I did not notice an unusual smell but decided to discard it just because of the color. I read on CS web site under FAQ that solid white albacore tuna can range in color from pink to the beige/grey. But all tuna I have purchase in the past, even the chunk light, was not this color. I guess the consumer must beware.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2013

Recently purchased three 12 oz. cans of COS "Albacore Solid White Tuna". I have had Albacore tuna and this crap was not Albacore tuna. The first can was somewhat edible, but had no flavor to speak of and didn't look any different than cheap tuna in oil. When the second can was opened, three other people and I winced at the odor from simply opening the can! It was greyish in color and had a very old smell and taste. Not sure, I mixed it with mayo and ate a sandwich and became sick. Again, I do not believe this was Albacore tuna at all and further, I think that whatever it was, it was not handled properly somewhere from sea to the store shelf. I think COS is passing off low grade tuna as Albacore tuna to increase their profits.

There was no telephone number on the can to contact them. I tried to contact them via the internet, but they only provide a snail mail address for "comments". What reputable consumer food company doesn't provide customer service? In any event, I wouldn't anticipate any response from a snail mail inquiry from a company that clearly cares so little about quality control anyway. It's almost as if they don't want to hear the complaints regarding their product so they plug their ears singing. I will never purchase this disgusting product again, and it's only a matter of time before someone files a class action lawsuit against them.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2013

Chicken of the sea Chunk White Tuna 5oz. can, 05/18/16 expiration - Both cans, when opened, smelled very bad. The odor left me wanting to vomit. The color was gray and all mushy. I will think twice about buying Chicken of the Sea again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2012

I used the last two cans of tuna yesterday from a six- or eight-pack I bought at Costco. I mixed the tuna with mayonnaise, capers and celery as I usually do. Eating the mixture, I half swallowed a hard piece of something which lodged in my throat. I live alone and was choking and finally remembered the Heimlich Maneuver when alone. I forced my chest against a kitchen chair and was finally able to cough up a piece of hard plastic. I was devastated that I almost died from eating tuna fish. I washed out the piece thinking it was a bone but to my astonishment, it was a large piece of plastic. My throat was irritated and I threw up for the next two hours, mostly dry heaves after the food came out. I have the piece of plastic and thought of calling a lawyer but decided to contact you first. I have the empty cans with serial numbers on them. I almost died here! Looking forward to your response before I proceed with a lawyer.

Original review: June 18, 2012

I've gotten sick off of this grime before, but it was years ago. I haven't eaten it again until recently. I normally eat good, solid tuna made by Tonno, that stuff is delicious! But this is where I draw the line. I was starving and made a sandwich with Chicken of the Sea tuna yesterday. I understand now that it was against my better judgment, but at that time I thought to myself, "There's no way I could get sick off of two cans consecutively!" Wrong! Halfway through my sandwich, I nearly ** myself with diarrhea. I refused to even give the remainder of the sandwich to my dog! I felt sick for the entire day! I couldn't eat, could barely move. Why, oh why is it so hard for these clowns to make a consumable that doesn't give you dysentery?! Isn't that like number one on the list of things to do when you're a food company?

I feel like an **. What was in that can could hardly be called tuna, it was just this yellowish-pink gunk with a snot-like consistency and when I dug down deep enough, I found a few shreds of actual meat underneath, buried in obscurity. From hell itself! But I ate the edible looking bits anyway. Again, I was starving. I've been in eating competitions before. I've been known to have a cast-iron stomach and yet this stuff floors me. Twice. How does this happen? Something this grotesque shouldn't be able to slip through the cracks. What kind of company is this? You people are insane! Shame on Chicken of the Sea! The folks running it are dangerous! I will never again feed to myself or any other person or animal, purchase or so much as spit on anything having to do with a Chicken of the Sea product, and you suits running this sideshow better bet your rear ends that I'll make sure everyone I care for does the same!

Original review: June 13, 2012

The can of light tuna I opened is mostly a pasty substance with some chunk tuna inside. Since the company offers no reasonable way of contacting them about quality issues, I will never purchase products from this company again.

Original review: March 22, 2012

The can says there may be bones! I'll say two large enough to crack my filling! Also, as with other complaints, I have seen this so-called chuck albacore is shredded with other than white tuna and has some kind of gunk in the can! This tuna is disgusting and dangerous!

Original review: March 15, 2012

For about 3 months now, I have noticed a thick gel in the small cans of chicken of the Sea Tune (supposedly packed in water) when you're squeezing out the water. It's gross. Typically, I can get rid of it and the tune is fine. It's just a P.I.T.A. But lately there is so much that you can't get enough off so that it doesn't destroy the flavor. What the heck is this stuff and why is it there?! I am switching to another brand. I had enough.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2012

This is the first time I have purchased Chicken of the Sea and it will be the last unless I can be proved otherwise! I opened a can of "Chunk White Albacore" Tuna in Water and the first thing I noticed there weren't any chunks and it looked mixed with something besides Albacore. Also there was definitely not 5 oz. I could barely make one sandwich with the entire can. What a rip off! UPC/Product is 048000033550.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2012

I opened and cooked 2 cans of chicken of the sea boneless skinless pink salmon. My husband, 10 yr old daughter, 8 yr old son, and 4 yr old nephew were eating the salmon. My husband began to chew and discovered a circular plastic object in his salmon. Any one of my kids could have easily swallowed the object. While I am thankful that it was my husband and he knew what to do, I am still extremely angry that it happened. I buy chicken of the sea products all the time and I no longer feel safe feeding my family with their products.

Chicken of the Sea Company Information