3.5/5 (34 ratings)

About Chicken of the Sea

Chicken of the Sea Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chicken of the Sea?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chicken of the Sea?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

I would prefer giving no stars, but that doesn't seem to be an option. I hesitate to complain about any company, however, after reading the reviews already posted I am even more angered about my experience, frustrated by the lack of response from this company and their callous disregard for the safety and well-being of their customers.

I recently purchased CoS Solid White Albacore Tuna in water (S(O?) 54CCASKP15:55 Best IE used by 03/05/18 Product of Thailand) Upon opening the can I was overwhelmed by the odor. I had to place the can in a plastic bag before doing a physical examination and found the color, consistency and moisture content to be suspicious. This was definitely not "Solid, White or Albacore".

I have found that when offered a product which may cause illness or worse my pets are often a more accurate barometer of condition of a product and confirmed my suspicions once again. My cat, who loves an occasional tuna treat, took one sniff and hastened away. (Domestic animals will not eat anything that will endanger their health.) I would never expose them to harm.

To expect any response or appropriate course of action from this company is obviously fruitless so I have decided to take a different course of action. I will be taking this can of mystery fish to either the county or state lab or both for testing as I have reason to believe that their questionable quality control practices endanger the health of anyone foolish enough to consume or offer to their family or pets whatever it is that they are trying to pass off as Albacore. (In your description of your clients, "Companies that work with ConsumerAffairs want to quickly address the complaints of their customers". Do you always find this to be true?) PS.. I'm sorry, but I don't normally keep grocery receipts. It's never been an issue...

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

I threw the tuna salad down the drain. And got sick at the thought of your quality control dept. That will be the last can of any kind of tuna I buy.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

I ran out of cat food the other day so I opened two cans of Chicken of the Sea Albacore Chunk Tuna. And I was mashing it up. I separated it on 3 plates. I then saw something. I grabbed it and I was SHOCKED to find a thick long bone. I'm glad my cats didn't eat it. Or our dog. He's a 7 month old german shepherd. Or my kids who have tuna a lot. They could have choked bad. It's totally unacceptable having this size of bone. And not a soft bone. I found out my husband found one in his tuna too once. Seriously you guys can't do a better job in checking for bones? People or animals could get seriously hurt if they swallowed it. I put a pic on my Facebook page to warn my family and friends. A lot of them thanked me. They didn't know big bones like that are in tuna. I just wanted you to know. Thank you!!

Original review: July 23, 2015

(844) 267-8862 contact #. I finally got around to making a complaint and provided UPC codes and stamped dates. This has been going on for over 1 year and the product still taste fine, it no longer has any substance. My wife purchases 18 cans every two weeks for my diet, in the last year it has all been mushy. I was told during the processing of the product and water added it will break down the texture, my problem with this statement is the product is not that old to have an issue. I was informed that they would escalate this information and I should be contacted and they would send me for coupons for any of their products. I will add more as time progresses and I receive new information.

Original review: July 11, 2015

Today I bought 4 cans of the above, maybe after several years. I was looking for white, chunked, dry tuna in water. What I got was a can of squishy, mushy, tanish pieces of tuna, smelling quite like the non-albacore tuna. Like other reviews I have just read, the product is not what is advertised -- definitely not chunk, definitely non-white, and just a can of soaked bits of tuna flesh. I think the labeling must be changed as it is fraudulent as present advertised. In fact, I may just return it to Walmart for mislabeling!!!

Original review: July 1, 2015

My wife purchased the product listed above at our local grocery store. When we opened the product we were disappointed to find the product was not what we expected based on our previous experience with Chicken of the Sea. The product looked and smelled rotten. Here is the Lot numbers found at the bottom of the can: 4308CABCKP 18:50 BEST BY 11/04/17. UPC: 0 48000-03355. We have been loyal to this brand for years and do not believe the executives would knowingly let product of this terrible quality get into the consumer's hands. Someone failed in the Quality Control Dept. Shame on them! We will not buy this product again until we see and hear what Chicken of the Sea has done to resolve this issue.

Original review: June 11, 2015

I purchase Chicken of the Sea Tuna in oil frequently. I was surprised when I took a bite & found a 1 inch bone that hurt the back of my mouth from my can of tuna. It was not a weak bone that would dissolve in the mouth like salmon. I shudder to think if I had given it to my grandson or my cat (who likes a bite or two).

Original review: June 5, 2015

I opened first one, then eventually four cans of CoS chunk light tuna in an effort to make lunch for my kids. Each one had varying amounts of an odd creamy opaque substance clinging to the tuna and the lid of the can. I've never seen this substance in any can of tuna of any brand before now. The meat looks fine; it's chunky as promised and a decent color, with no funny smells, but I am totally turned off by the substance around it. I am throwing away all four cans, and will not buy this brand ever again. All four cans are dated best by 11/27/17.

Original review: May 7, 2015

This is the 3rd can of CoS Solid White Albacore Tuna I opened up today, and they were all rotten. The color of the tuna looks rotten. It has dark yellow and brown spots. It smells rotten, and it taste horrible, just from 1 bite I have a bad stomach ache. I took pictures of the product, and my entire family neighbors, were all disgusted from the smell and look of the Tuna. I bought Kirkland tuna (Costco Brand) and it was very fresh compared to this nasty junk.

Original review: April 25, 2015

Chicken of the sea chunk light tuna - I purchase this brand frequently. Unfortunately I had two cans that were spoiled + fouled smelling, both from the same exp Dates 9/19/17.

Original review: April 17, 2015

Who had the bright idea of changing your Chicken of the Sea Minced Clam recipe? They are now shredded, mushy, and watered down without any flavor! We've been making clam dip for years and these cans of clams are no longer appetizing! The previous "mincing" recipe used to have spices that gave your clams flavor. They were then packed in clam juice, which we always drained from can and used for flavoring dips. Now, this mushy mesh of clams is packaged in a watery, flavorless soup! Where did the chunky clams go? So disappointed in this new standard. It sounds like you are using the same processing techniques on your tuna now, as well. Bring back your previous product that was comparable to Bumble Bee!!

Original review: April 9, 2015

Opened a can of CoS chunk light tuna in oil only to be overwhelmed by the "fishy smell". Hardly any oil. Very dry, with no flavor at all. They have no business selling tuna. Should've stuck to my usual, delicious and juicy generic brand.

Original review: March 25, 2015

CHUNK means Chunk, not mushy, stringy, stuff floating in water. I have seen better looking cat food! Not even good for tuna salad or sandwich. Just disintegrates to mush! Ended up using it for very expensive cat food!

Original review: March 23, 2015

Opened my can of tuna fish white albacore and found what I believed is paper wrapped in my tuna. I haven't pulled the paper out yet but that's gross and nasty. Please see picture below.

Original review: March 12, 2015

A couple of days ago I bought some tuna from a nearby Kroger. Of several brands available, I bought two cans of (5 oz. size) Chicken of the Sea Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water. "Best by 02/13/17" Lot # "30K6Z ACWAS 15:64". Yesterday I opened one can and found the tuna was not white albacore, was not "chunk", but smelled ok. I gave the cat the tuna juice, which left around 2/3 of the can left as tuna meat. The tuna was ALL IN SMALL FLAKES - not a single chunk. I took photos of the label and the can lid with number data, to email to Chicken of the Sea, and found when I got to this website there seems to be no way to communicate with the company except by this "review" section.

I will try to return the remaining can to my Kroger, and will buy another brand. I have had good luck with tuna from Costco, but this time I wanted the smaller can size. I seem to remember another disappointing purchase of "Chicken of the Sea" tuna, quite a while ago - several years - but did not remember in time so as not to purchase it this time! I will never purchase a Chicken of the Sea product again. Poor quality and misleading and untruthful labeling.

Original review: March 9, 2015

I opened a can of tuna and was instantly turned off by the smell. There was a kind of metallic, non-tuna smell. I tasted it and it had the same kind of taste. There was no tuna flavor whatsoever. I was concerned about eating it because I have never come across this in a can of tuna. I opened another can that I bought on the same day and it was the same. Guessing it is typical, but I didn't feel even safe enough to feed it to my dog. So I will not be buying Chicken of the Sea again.

Original review: March 5, 2015

Purchased several cans of Chicken of the Sea Chunk Light Tuna and when I opened the first it literally had no chunks. It looked like it had been run through a blender -- kind of a watery paste. I didn't bother to even taste it and tried to feed it to the cats. Neither one would even touch it. I don't ever remember being so disappointed in a food product and don't plan on purchasing a Chicken of the Sea product again. A major disappointment in quality. I would like to rate as a zero or even negative but since that is not possible I give it a one star rating.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2015

Over the past several years I've noticed a distinct change in the quality of this tuna and of course the quantity you receive in the newer smaller cans. I've been a big fan of tuna since childhood. We were brought up on the chunk light and every once in awhile we'd be treated to some white albacore. Well, I don't know who the company thinks they're fooling, but I know the difference between white and other colors. The tuna they are selling as albacore white these days is actually what chunk light used to be. The chunk light they sell now is probably what they sold as cat food..... It's horrible and my family refuses to eat it anymore. I don't know what happened to the white albacore or where it's going but it sure isn't being sold to us! Most of my family now eats the canned chicken breast instead of tuna. At least that's still white and it tastes better too for a lower price.

You are now paying more for COS tuna and getting less quantity and quality. I think a class action suit should be started to address the quality issue and their labeling. It's false information when they try to pass that stuff off as white tuna. They are deceiving the public and making a fine profit as well. When I purchase a can of what they say is white tuna, that's what I expect to get. Instead, I end up with a can what to me is chunk light. They should be forced to refund the public for this deception.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2015

Like the previous reviews, when I opened the can I noticed a strong foul fishy odor. I don't remember ever smelling that when I had tuna in the past, but decided to make my sandwich anyway. BIG MISTAKE! About 1/2 hour after eating it, I became very sick. Never again will I purchase this tuna!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2015

Bought several cans of solid white tuna in water from Chicken of the Sea. Upon opening the first can, it stunk, was tan/grey in color, no solid pieces and quite frankly disgusting. I will never purchase this tuna again. I do not want coupons for it from the company, etc... At first I thought it was one bad can, but they were all the same.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2015

What all others have said has been my general experience with COS canned tuna; everything from foul smells to "solid" being unidentifiable mush. The one thing I've not seen anyone mention is the fact that when you drain the can, you're left with less than 1/2 a can of whatever it's supposed to be. Doesn't the FPLA (fair packaging labeling act) have anything to say about the products contents? Can a 5 oz. can of tuna contain 5 oz. of anything (i.e. water, oil) provided it at least contains a speck of fish?

I quit buying COS products a while ago regardless the price and trying not to appear ungrateful declined COS tuna at the food bank one time. Born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, I was use to quality seafood. Remember the COS jingle, "What's the tuna? Chicken of the Sea" What a joke. Someone else mention Costco. I found theirs to be a quality product. Recently at a grocery outlet in Seattle I found Solid White tuna of very good quality and very moderately price by Open Seas Seafood. I went back and bought 24 cans. This 5 I've opened have all been great. The only way it appears to deal with COS is to tell anyone and everyone you know not to buy the crap.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2014

Just was eating some pink salmon (skinless boneless) from Chicken of the Sea. The 5 ounce can had the following number on the bottom: K6H2W SAMCP with a UPC code 04808606. I bit down on something very hard and it turned out to be a raggedy edged piece of glass the size of a person's canine tooth. Seems like a safety issue if there might be more out there.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

I bought 4 cans of chicken of the sea solid white tuna in water. The tuna was dark and had a very strong smell. It was not solid white. This is the 3rd I have had this experience in the last 6 months. Each time I has to throw away the product. Code is 9Y9AW ASWAB 19:01 SKU 48000 00095. Very disappointed and cannot waste anymore money.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

I opened one can and immediately can smell something bad - it was the tuna in oil. I have never have this problem, so I think I threw away the receipt. It was on sale: two for one dollar. It didn't taste bad but the smell make it impossible to eat it. I bought 12 cans and all the cans' bottom code is the same: "best by 09/11/17 9K BAZ MCEJS 18:08" Now I'm looking for the store receipt.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2014

Today (9-29-2014) my father and I were going to have tuna fish for lunch. I opened the can of tuna and when I was putting it in the bowl before adding Miracle Whip, there was a long hair that I pulled out of the can with pieces of Tuna attached to it. I have never had anything like this happen to me with any cans of tuna that I have purchased. We obviously had to have something else for lunch. I do not have the receipt, but it was purchased at ShopRite in Moorestown, NJ. The information that I believe you would need from the can is as follows : best by date - 10/11/2017, upc # 048000002457, code printed under the best by date: ZEBEB SCWBB 01:21. It is a 5 oz. can that has Chicken Of The Sea, CHUNK LIGHT, TUNA IN WATER printed on it. I would simply like a refund/coupon to replace the can that we did not use. I will hold on to this can until I receive a response from your Company. Please contact me if you need any other information. Thank You in advance for your quick response to me.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2014

My experience was approximately 1 year ago but just last week I saw this product on sale, two cans for a dollar at my local grocery store. This made me angry all over again. I purchased 10 cans of Chicken of the Sea tuna in oil and forgot about them in my hot car for a couple days. Days later when I opened one of them it did not look like tuna at all, had no visible oil in it and had a very foul odor to it. I continue to open each can and they were all the same. Several weeks later I purchased some more tuna and brought it into my house immediately from the store. When I opened these cans the product was exactly the same as the ones that I had left in my hot car. Had a hard time finding a website for Chicken of the Sea. Finally found one and sent in my information with bar codes and dates and never heard from them. I will never buy Chicken of the Sea products again.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2014

I'd sworn off Chicken of the Sea tuna a couple of years ago after buying 10 cans of solid white tuna on sale and finding that the contents of 8 of the cans smelled bad and were scraps of tuna rather than mostly a solid white piece. I complained to COS and gave them the can's code and after about a month got a letter saying they would need the can before they could take any action. There was a sale at the store today. I thought perhaps my last experience was a fluke. I bought a couple of cans. I opened one and it didn't smell too bad but was about one sixth solid and the rest mashed up. I'm keeping the other can unopened to complain again. Chicken of the Sea is now owned by a Thai company and I suspect they will keep misrepresenting the contents of these cans unless enough people complain to the FDA to cause them concern. The code on the bottom of the can I opened this time is hard to read ZS6Y ASWAB? 17 16 Best By 12/11/17.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2014

I bought 2 5-oz. cans of Chicken of the Sea chunk white Albacore tuna in water & 4 5-oz. cans of Bumble Bee chunk white albacore tuna in water. Upon opening the cans the smell was so bad I thought I was going to throw up. The tuna was a mushy, brown, smelly mess. Every can I opened was the same. Had to throw it away. Chicken of the Sea can, Code number is 9MNBZ ACAES 20:40, UPC 4800003355, Expiration date is 7/22/2017. I did not keep any of the Bumble Bee cans, so I don't have the info on them.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2014

Opened can and found what appeared to be a clump of some kind of fur or furry cloth. Took pictures of the can and the exp date/info on bottom.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2014

Purchased two cans of Chicken of the Sea solid white albacore tuna in water. Opened the first can and I immediately noticed it smelled foul. Then I noticed the tuna wasn't white and certainly not solid. Opened second can to compare and it was the same. The expiration is 7/22/17 and upc is 048000033550. I buy albacore tuna all the time from different brands and it's never smelled or looked so disgusting. I had to throw both cans away. I would like my money back. They were purchased at Kroger in Richmond, VA.

Chicken of the Sea Company Information