2. Shopping
  3. Food Products

3.7/5 (134 ratings)

About Chicken of the Sea

Chicken of the Sea Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chicken of the Sea?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chicken of the Sea?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I bought several cans of Chicken of the Sea light tuna (product of Vietnam) and noticed a bad smell and mushy tuna. It certainly was neither chunk nor light. I made tuna salad with it, giving it a chance of just looking different, rather than tasting spoiled, like it did. I opened another can, thinking maybe this one can was bad... The next 4 cans were the same. Went to lunch with a friend, who unsolicited, told me the same story about her Chicken of the Sea tuna. I will not buy another can of tuna with Chicken of the Sea on it.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I grew up on this stuff! Loved it. The quality has gone way down. I was unable to drain it completely because tuna was in tiny flakes not chunks like it used to be. I'll never buy it again. Sad to say!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I bought a pack of packaged salmon from Walmart. I ate some tonight and not even five mins my stomach began feeling queasy and sick and all I knew was I had to get this crap out of my body because my body is not feeling this salmon and now I am literally on the toilet. I have diarrhea. My stomach hurts soo bad. :'( Not cool.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I'm not a picky eater, but I bought a pack of Chicken of the Sea tuna and it smelled bad. I figured it was a bad batch so I bought another pack and same thing. You guys shouldn't buy this stuff, it smells horrible. I switched to Kirkland brand and it smells fine.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have been unable to eat over the last couple of weeks. Last night I was looking for something that sounded easy to make, protein filled and little fat content. I open a can of Chicken of the Sea solid white albacore, drained it using can lid, gave my kitty a good piece, added a splash of lemon and began to eat. I have found bone in tuna before and was not that alarmed when I felt a crunch. Then another crunch and I felt a sliver and spit it into a napkin. IT WAS GLASS!!! I looked through what remained and going a sizable piece of glass, as well as more slivers.

I am scared for my cat, myself, others who may have been hurt by the same batch of cans of said product. It was embedded in the tuna and was not easily seen by looking at it. I swallowed glass!!! I have Addison’s disease and any shock or stress to body like hemorrhage or routine surgery CAN BE DEADLY FOR ME!!! What can be done about this to hold that company responsible for what they have done? I have no money to pay a lawyer. I am really worried about the glass in my body.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I was grocery shopping this week and wanted to buy some Albacore tuna. I grabbed a can of StarKist and put it in my cart, I then noticed Chicken of the Sea was on sale and got 4 cans of those as well. I first opened the StarKist and it was great, large chunks of white Albacore that had virtually no odor, it was a quality product and tasted wonderful. The next day I opened the can of Chicken of the Sea. OMG, I couldn't believe how bad it looked and smelled! It was small pieces of brownish colored mush and smelled overwhelmingly fishy. I was just shocked at the difference between the two brands and the fact that the government allows this to be labeled and sold as "chunk white Albacore tuna".

I am taking back the remaining cans and will never buy Chicken of the Sea again, either Albacore or regular tuna. I'm not going to bother and complain to the company, I wouldn't want or use a coupon for their products. It's a shame because I grew up with this brand and ate it for years, but it's clear the company's bottom line is about money and not quality. I can't even be charitable and donate it to a food pantry, I wouldn't want to take a chance that it's safe to eat! Really too bad that corporate greed trumps a brand that has been around for years and was decent. StarKist was great, will stick with this brand now!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have been a long time (40+ years) buyer of Chicken of the Sea, Chunk, White Albacore tuna packed in water. I buy the product from Costco, WalMart, Lin’s Groceries, Randalls, Smith's and other stores. Today I bought five cans from Lin’s, in Hurricane, Utah. I opened four of the cans and found the same thing that I’ve been finding more frequently over the past several months. I’m finally tired of it. Although it’s labeled as Chunk White Albacore Tuna, what the can contains is more like shredded and compressed light brown tuna scraps, packed in way too much water, with way too little tuna. Four cans of this stuff makes a bit less than what three cans of real chunk tuna makes.

An analogy would be if real chunk tuna was more like thick, laminated plywood, then this is like soggy particle board compressed in a water-filled can. When drained, with mayonnaise added, I end up with more like a creamy tuna paste than the chunky tuna meat I have come to expect, and have been paying for. Information on the bottom of one of the cans reads: “Best if used by 8/24/19. 6AP3G ACCES 10:57. Product of Thailand.” It’s my belief that the label does NOT match the product in the cans, that this mislabeling constitutes fraud, and should be investigated and prosecuted by the FDA.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Bought a can of Chicken of the Sea tuna from Family Dollar yesterday. Made a tuna salad sandwich, bit into it and as I was just about to swallow noticed there was something large a large white bone which almost caused me to choke. I will never buy Chicken of the Sea again and make sure I tell everyone about my experience. Not the first time this one was just a little bit more dramatic considering that I could have really it could have really cause damage to my throat.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Opened can top of tuna was brown and dry. Looked under can from Thailand. Didn't eat it. Opened another can better but from Indonesia. Don't we have TUNA from the USA anymore. I will not buy any more Chicken of the Sea brand.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Unacceptable! Just made a tuna salad with Chicken of the Sea chunk light in water "the chunkiest" and the fishy taste was overwhelming!!! I didn't notice until I ate some of it, now I can't get the taste out of my mouth, I use tuna all the time, this is NOT an acceptable product! I actually came here, to see if there was a recall, and should I be worried about it being toxic, but I am seeing other complaints about the fishy taste here, so whew, but am going to throw it out, and take the unopened cans BACK to Safeway where we got them.

Chicken of the Sea Company Information