1.34/5
Based on 88 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

92 Chicken of the Sea Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

I was grocery shopping this week and wanted to buy some Albacore tuna. I grabbed a can of StarKist and put it in my cart, I then noticed Chicken of the Sea was on sale and got 4 cans of those as well. I first opened the StarKist and it was great, large chunks of white Albacore that had virtually no odor, it was a quality product and tasted wonderful. The next day I opened the can of Chicken of the Sea. OMG, I couldn't believe how bad it looked and smelled! It was small pieces of brownish colored mush and smelled overwhelmingly fishy. I was just shocked at the difference between the two brands and the fact that the government allows this to be labeled and sold as "chunk white Albacore tuna".

I am taking back the remaining cans and will never buy Chicken of the Sea again, either Albacore or regular tuna. I'm not going to bother and complain to the company, I wouldn't want or use a coupon for their products. It's a shame because I grew up with this brand and ate it for years, but it's clear the company's bottom line is about money and not quality. I can't even be charitable and donate it to a food pantry, I wouldn't want to take a chance that it's safe to eat! Really too bad that corporate greed trumps a brand that has been around for years and was decent. StarKist was great, will stick with this brand now!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have been a long time (40+ years) buyer of Chicken of the Sea, Chunk, White Albacore tuna packed in water. I buy the product from Costco, WalMart, Lin’s Groceries, Randalls, Smith's and other stores. Today I bought five cans from Lin’s, in Hurricane, Utah. I opened four of the cans and found the same thing that I’ve been finding more frequently over the past several months. I’m finally tired of it. Although it’s labeled as Chunk White Albacore Tuna, what the can contains is more like shredded and compressed light brown tuna scraps, packed in way too much water, with way too little tuna. Four cans of this stuff makes a bit less than what three cans of real chunk tuna makes.

An analogy would be if real chunk tuna was more like thick, laminated plywood, then this is like soggy particle board compressed in a water-filled can. When drained, with mayonnaise added, I end up with more like a creamy tuna paste than the chunky tuna meat I have come to expect, and have been paying for. Information on the bottom of one of the cans reads: “Best if used by 8/24/19. 6AP3G ACCES 10:57. Product of Thailand.” It’s my belief that the label does NOT match the product in the cans, that this mislabeling constitutes fraud, and should be investigated and prosecuted by the FDA.

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Bought a can of Chicken of the Sea tuna from Family Dollar yesterday. Made a tuna salad sandwich, bit into it and as I was just about to swallow noticed there was something large a large white bone which almost caused me to choke. I will never buy Chicken of the Sea again and make sure I tell everyone about my experience. Not the first time this one was just a little bit more dramatic considering that I could have really it could have really cause damage to my throat.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Opened can top of tuna was brown and dry. Looked under can from Thailand. Didn't eat it. Opened another can better but from Indonesia. Don't we have TUNA from the USA anymore. I will not buy any more Chicken of the Sea brand.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Unacceptable! Just made a tuna salad with Chicken of the Sea chunk light in water "the chunkiest" and the fishy taste was overwhelming!!! I didn't notice until I ate some of it, now I can't get the taste out of my mouth, I use tuna all the time, this is NOT an acceptable product! I actually came here, to see if there was a recall, and should I be worried about it being toxic, but I am seeing other complaints about the fishy taste here, so whew, but am going to throw it out, and take the unopened cans BACK to Safeway where we got them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chicken of the Sea?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Has Chicken of the Sea changed their quality control? I just bought two cans recently, both of which taste like they canned chum (junk fish for bait) instead of tuna! I won't be buying any more of their products, sadly enough. :(

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

This stuff labeled as tuna is obscene. It's just plain nasty. The can does not contain chunks. It contains a mushy mess with very little taste. I saw it had been canned in the USA so I thought OK. Had I paid attention and noticed it was from Thailand I would not have bought it. The two 9 oz cans I have in my cabinet will be going back to Walmart on my next shopping day. Can someone explain to me how this works? They catch the fish somewhere, send it to Thailand for processing then send the processed stuff back to the US for packaging?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I recently purchased two cans of Chicken of the Sea - Chunk Light Tuna in water. Upon opening the first can I immediately realized something was wrong. The odor was far too fishy and the consistency was mushy and brown. I opened the 2nd can with exactly the same experience as the first can. I then did a quick internet search and found others having similar experiences. Further it was noted the few that were adventurous enough to actually try eating the product became sick. This product should be investigated by the food and drug administration, as I don't believe it should be sold to the public. I have placed both open cans of tuna in a zip lock bag and plan to return it to the store where purchased for a refund.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I would give zero stars if this forum allowed me to. I was very upset when eating my Chicken of the Sea tuna sandwich at work today when a bone stuck into the roof of my mouth!! I never write reviews but this deserves some attention, especially after reading that this happened to others as well. I don’t know what to say except how horrible this experience was and how disappointed I am!! You may have ruined me from eating tuna for life! I still have the can if you need any information to recall this product.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Made tuna sandwiches with one can of Chicken of the Sea Chunk White Tuna. My first bite I bit into something hard & sharp that cut the inside of my cheek. When I spit it out I found it was what appears to be a fish tooth. My husband was eating his sandwich & bit into something hard that appeared to be a bone. Both the tooth & bone were inside one can of tuna. Needless to say we were completely disgusted & weren't going to take anymore chances of biting into something else. So we threw our sandwiches away & will never purchase Chicken of the Sea again.

Original review: July 8, 2017

I had purchased four cans of this brand and had mixed the first one with mayo, curry powder and onion for a wrap. It was not the best-tasting thing but the onion and curry must have disguised the true taste. I decided to use the other three with hard boiled eggs and eat it over the course of several days. The first sandwich was so bad and tinny tasting that I threw the rest of it out. This company has been purchased from a US corporation by a foreign entity in Thailand but I don't know when that occurred. I CAN say that the actual amount of "tuna" in the can turned out to be 4 oz. dry, if you can call it tuna - I wouldn't. I add my agreement to everyone else's on here. I won't be buying this product, if you can call it that, ever again. And I certainly won't feed it to my dogs.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I found two large pieces of bone in my tuna from Chicken of The Sea. I've never had that experience happen before now. One piece actually cut my tongue. I threw the sandwich away and I will NEVER buy this product again. Eww.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Wow... Are you serious. This looks like cat food. Wish I had a cat... for now... Looks like my German Shepard is gonna get a treat. OR it might not even be fit for him! YUCK! I WILL NEVER BUY YOUR PRODUCT AGAIN!!! And I WILL share this on social media.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I have always bought Chicken of the Sea or Bumble Bee Tuna. The last few times I had Chicken of the Sea solid white tuna, it has been yellowish or brown and mushy, not solid. It tastes like cat food. I thought I would give it another try, but it was awful. Wish I came here first. I will never buy it again. It was disgusting.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I had tuna poisoning. Many people as myself are having stomach pain after eating tuna fish. It is because the companies are mixing poison fish with the tuna. Namely escolator is one of them. I finished a can of Chicken of the Sea tuna about 3 hours ago and have been in the toilet ever since with gas, stomach pain and the runs. Something needs to be done about this greed and abuse of consumers.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

I would have rated it a zero with no stars, but my review was not accepted unless I marked at least one star above. I opened 2 cans of Chicken of the Sea and found a mushy yellow substance and black pieces of veins or guts and various other unidentifiable product. I gagged at the sight and the smell! Never again Chicken of the Sea! I took pics and will surely show and tell all of my family, friends and acquaintances. I will make sure they pass it on! Absolutely disgusted! This product is not food! Went to Kroger to get my money back! Bought StarKist. I hope they go out of business. Shameful theft!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

After buying can of salmon I opened it up and found it to be tuna instead of salmon. It wasn't chunk-style like advertised. It was powdered slush. Very dissatisfied. Company is bottom-line profits only. I would recommend not buying.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2016

I've purchased only Chicken of the Sea tuna all my life, as did my mother, even though noticing the deteriorating quality through the years, but still believed I was purchasing the best quality that was available. Last month I purchased a few cans of Albacore chunk, wanting a better quality than the reg. tuna that was getting mushier and mushier. Good grief - it was much worse than the reg tuna - just a soupy mush of goop and 3 times the price. Tried to squeeze out the liquid with the lid, and all the stinky goo oozed out the small slit and down the drain. Emailed the company and no response to my email - then today received two coupons in the mail from them. Will be returning the coupons - with more complaining about the quality of their tuna. The tuna was soooo awful and so back to the store and got a can of Wild Planet tuna - OMG, opened can and it was filled with a solid chunk of fish - beautiful and tasty. Will never buy Chicken of the Sea again.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

Nate in Huntington Beach wrote a spot-on review of this product. I made a lovely salad, working fast and not paying much attention to the tuna. However, I do recall it looked almost identical to the photo Nate included (mine was in the salad prior to taking a bite) -- nasty smell, brown/sickly pink/yellow colors. His picture says it all. I'm done with Chicken of the Sea which I've eaten for many, many years! Apparently it is all about the bottom line, corporate pride and responsibility be-damned. YUKE... shame on you C of the S!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

I am usually not one to complain and I've truly had a bitter sweet experience with tuna. Initially I started eating tuna because I was told of all the health benefits that can be gained from eating it. In 2005 I totally gave up eating all red meat and chicken as well. I thought that I had finally found the perfect diet. In the beginning it was just that. I put myself on a weight loss tuna diet and I literally lost 50 pounds in 13 days, sounds amazing but it's true of course I was exercising my butt off to get those results. My diet consisted exclusively of tuna. I continue eating tuna after I had lost the weight and have been successful at keeping the weight off. Now 11 years later I have my first issues with the product. In 2012 I was diagnosed as having out of control hypertension. Nothing to worry about I thought I still continue pouring in the tuna usually eating at least one can a day up to 10 cans in a week.

Well fast forward to 2014 while working I began having terrible stomach pains. I was rushed to a hospital in New Jersey where they said they were not able to save my life so I was airlifted by helicopter to a hospital in Philadelphia Presbyterian Penn. While under doctor's care it was discovered I had an aortic dissection rip from my stomach to just short of my heart and was told my kidneys were beginning to fail. After every test imaginable was performed (except mercury) the doctors were unable to determine what caused my out-of-control hypertension, the aorta dissection or why my kidneys were beginning to fail. Fast forward to 2016 while at home I began coughing up blood (which was later diagnosed as pneumonia). I was told my aorta dissection had gotten worse. In fact it had gotten so bad. I was told there was no way to avoid having an open heart surgery.

After checking myself out against doctor's orders from Halifax in Daytona Beach and Memorial Regional in Hollywood I decided to go back to Philadelphia where I was first diagnosed with the aorta dissection. The good news is the operation was a success without any complications. One of my nieces who is studying to become an RN saw the amount of tuna I was consuming while visiting and told me that if I'm only eating tuna it could be just as bad or worse of a health risk as eating other meats. She went on to say that it is a good chance that I may have been mercury poisoned and that I should contact my physician to have a blood Mercury test scheduled. After my doctor scheduled to have the test administered by a private lab I was told my results would be faxed to my physician.

Well prior to me going to see my physician I was contacted by the Department of Health and was told that I was flagged because my Mercury level was way above the acceptable limit and that other complications would soon occur if they haven't already, if I continue eating tuna. My biggest issue is that when reading the tuna cans they boast and brag about the omega-3 health benefits which may reduce the risks of coronary heart disease and how heart-healthy they are in general. Nothing on the cans tell you that you could become mercury poisoned. Not to mention all sorts of health problems as well. It is now known that my out-of-control hypertension, my order dissection and also my failing kidneys are all attributed to me eating the tuna. I just wish there was a warning to consumers that eating a diet rich in tuna can be fatal.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

What a horrible product. I bought several cans of the Chicken of the Sea chunk light tuna. I was switching from a store brand that I had become unhappy with. When opening the can I found a shredded wet mushy mess. This tuna is so broken down and so wet that it's impossible to drain it properly. The taste is just as bad; over-salted and fishy. Does not taste like ocean fish. The fishy taste gagged me and I tossed it out. I don't even want to give the remaining cans to charity. I don't know why some canned tuna is this mushy, bottom of the pot mess but I'm really sick of it which led me to look online to find out if others are having the same experience.

Original review: April 13, 2016

I give this tuna to my one of my cats. He doesnt like cat food. My other cat isnt so finicky. The tuna eater is now sick and not eating anything, and throwing up, barely drinking water. My other cat who usually tries to steal the tuna bowl, walked over to it, sniffed it and walked away. I opened a new can, same reaction. I started googling and saw there was a recall on Chicken of the Sea but my can #'s were not listed. Well, there is something wrong with this tuna fish because the cats wont even eat it. I went to the store, bought a different brand, and even made sure the fish was from another part of the world. They ate it. The # on the cans are P951L 5ZCLG.

Original review: March 25, 2016

I've never bothered to voice my complaints about something as trivial as a little can of tuna fish, but recent experience has pushed me over the edge. I've eaten this product all of my life, but in recent years, the main thing I've noticed is that there's less and less tuna in the can. Today I'd planned on making a couple of tuna fish sandwiches, so I opened a can and proceeded to strain the water out by pressing the lid on top of the tuna and turning the can upside down in the sink. To my surprise, the lid pressed almost to the bottom of the can and left me with a thin wafer of tuna mush at the bottom.

This has happened before, but never to this extent. I've always been able to make two sandwiches with a 4 oz. can, some mayo and a little lemon juice. What was in this can isn't enough to make one sandwich. I'll be posting pics to Facebook and hopefully this will get around. I suppose since it's canned in Thailand, there's simply no-one to speak with in the U.S. I'm done with Chicken of the Sea. They should call it Odd Spot of Mush from Thailand.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2016

Chicken of the Sea 4 cans purchased. Extremely disappointed in this product. Shredded mush, certainly not white, more like light!!! Do not plan to purchase again.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2015

My husband and I would eat nothing but Chicken of the Sea chunk light in oil for almost 28 years up until now. We are not big on fish and we liked the tastes and texture of Chicken of the Sea, no other tuna. Starting about a year ago the odor and texture is not what it has always been. When hunting for a way to contact company to complain with no luck. Like others have said the tuna now has a foul odor and is more like grated mush rather than chunks. The color is lighter and the oil is more like water. Will no longer purchase this brand because it is no longer eatable. Company just tossed 3 decades of total loyalty to their brand.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

I would prefer giving no stars, but that doesn't seem to be an option. I hesitate to complain about any company, however, after reading the reviews already posted I am even more angered about my experience, frustrated by the lack of response from this company and their callous disregard for the safety and well-being of their customers.

I recently purchased CoS Solid White Albacore Tuna in water (S(O?) 54CCASKP15:55 Best IE used by 03/05/18 Product of Thailand) Upon opening the can I was overwhelmed by the odor. I had to place the can in a plastic bag before doing a physical examination and found the color, consistency and moisture content to be suspicious. This was definitely not "Solid, White or Albacore".

I have found that when offered a product which may cause illness or worse my pets are often a more accurate barometer of condition of a product and confirmed my suspicions once again. My cat, who loves an occasional tuna treat, took one sniff and hastened away. (Domestic animals will not eat anything that will endanger their health.) I would never expose them to harm.

To expect any response or appropriate course of action from this company is obviously fruitless so I have decided to take a different course of action. I will be taking this can of mystery fish to either the county or state lab or both for testing as I have reason to believe that their questionable quality control practices endanger the health of anyone foolish enough to consume or offer to their family or pets whatever it is that they are trying to pass off as Albacore. (In your description of your clients, "Companies that work with ConsumerAffairs want to quickly address the complaints of their customers". Do you always find this to be true?) PS.. I'm sorry, but I don't normally keep grocery receipts. It's never been an issue...

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

I threw the tuna salad down the drain. And got sick at the thought of your quality control dept. That will be the last can of any kind of tuna I buy.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

I ran out of cat food the other day so I opened two cans of Chicken of the Sea Albacore Chunk Tuna. And I was mashing it up. I separated it on 3 plates. I then saw something. I grabbed it and I was SHOCKED to find a thick long bone. I'm glad my cats didn't eat it. Or our dog. He's a 7 month old german shepherd. Or my kids who have tuna a lot. They could have choked bad. It's totally unacceptable having this size of bone. And not a soft bone. I found out my husband found one in his tuna too once. Seriously you guys can't do a better job in checking for bones? People or animals could get seriously hurt if they swallowed it. I put a pic on my Facebook page to warn my family and friends. A lot of them thanked me. They didn't know big bones like that are in tuna. I just wanted you to know. Thank you!!

Original review: July 23, 2015

(844) 267-8862 contact #. I finally got around to making a complaint and provided UPC codes and stamped dates. This has been going on for over 1 year and the product still taste fine, it no longer has any substance. My wife purchases 18 cans every two weeks for my diet, in the last year it has all been mushy. I was told during the processing of the product and water added it will break down the texture, my problem with this statement is the product is not that old to have an issue. I was informed that they would escalate this information and I should be contacted and they would send me for coupons for any of their products. I will add more as time progresses and I receive new information.

Original review: July 11, 2015

Today I bought 4 cans of the above, maybe after several years. I was looking for white, chunked, dry tuna in water. What I got was a can of squishy, mushy, tanish pieces of tuna, smelling quite like the non-albacore tuna. Like other reviews I have just read, the product is not what is advertised -- definitely not chunk, definitely non-white, and just a can of soaked bits of tuna flesh. I think the labeling must be changed as it is fraudulent as present advertised. In fact, I may just return it to Walmart for mislabeling!!!

Chicken of the Sea Company Information