3.55/5

101 Chicken of the Sea Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 30, 2019

I went to my pantry and grab a can of Chicken of the Sea Tuna in Water. I opened the can to find it covered in white green and blue mold and fungus. This was to be served to my nine-year-old daughter on who loves pasta with tuna and I was beyond mortified. I honestly never have had this issue before but this one time and the severity of it has really put me off.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I purchased 3 cans of VanCamp's Chicken of the Sea Chunk White Albacore Tuna in water from Dollar Tree on Main Street in the Tractor Supply Plaza in Gouverneur, NY. 13642. I tried to contact the Dollar Tree through their website but they do not have the button to click on for reporting products. This tuna is the worst I have ever bought. Smells putrid, half rotten, and should not be eaten. Save your money and buy real tuna in the regular grocery stores. Even most of my cats walked away from it and the two that did eat it got sick and threw it up. Any other brand and they beg for more. Product of Thailand, but canned in the US. Date of use is 01/15/22. This tuna fish does not even make good pet food, so do not risk eating it or feeding it to humans. The bar code is: 0 48000 03365 9

The weight of these cans are 5 ounce cans. I purchased it less than a week ago.

Even the trashiest tuna known to man that is distributed by Food Pantry's is a far cry better than this that my cats will eat, but I will not due to the smell of that also. This product needs to be recalled and pulled from the shelves. Not easy to report this product to those that can make a difference. You should be ashamed selling this product in your stores.

At least Dollar General sells good tasting tuna. My only inconvenience is cleaning up the cat puke, and not having tuna to put into my mac salad which the other ingredients will no doubt go bad before I can get a ride back to a store that sells great tasting tuna, such as Dollar General. One thing to remember if you get to read this post, I am honest and tell it exactly like it is with absolutely no exaggeration. You can stick this tuna where the sun don't shine.

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Like all the others, I grew up with Chicken of the Sea. The tuna is disgusting now. I had fish skin and two bones before I could get through half of my sandwich. I have 7 cans left and will not donate it or even give it to my dogs. I feel nauseous and my stomach is gurgling. This is completely ridiculous. There are so many on here saying the same things, I cannot believe they can still send this bottom of the barrel junk.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Began making my tuna salad as usual by mixing all my other ingredients first, then pulled 4 cans from a 12 pack to add to it. I opened the first to find a thick gelatinous looking white scum on top of mushy tuna shreds. No water was apparent. I set that can aside & opened 2 more to find varying degrees of the same thing. As stomach turning as it looked it smelled okay to my nose, but I held it down for my 20lb Norwegian Forest Cat who will eat anything & usually can't wait for his share. He wouldn't come near the can. I'm not able to stomach the idea of eating it either so all 12 cans are going in the garbage where they belong. I'm having fancy egg salad instead.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I bought several cans of Chicken of the Sea light tuna (product of Vietnam) and noticed a bad smell and mushy tuna. It certainly was neither chunk nor light. I made tuna salad with it, giving it a chance of just looking different, rather than tasting spoiled, like it did. I opened another can, thinking maybe this one can was bad... The next 4 cans were the same. Went to lunch with a friend, who unsolicited, told me the same story about her Chicken of the Sea tuna. I will not buy another can of tuna with Chicken of the Sea on it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chicken of the Sea?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I grew up on this stuff! Loved it. The quality has gone way down. I was unable to drain it completely because tuna was in tiny flakes not chunks like it used to be. I'll never buy it again. Sad to say!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I bought a pack of packaged salmon from Walmart. I ate some tonight and not even five mins my stomach began feeling queasy and sick and all I knew was I had to get this crap out of my body because my body is not feeling this salmon and now I am literally on the toilet. I have diarrhea. My stomach hurts soo bad. :'( Not cool.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I'm not a picky eater, but I bought a pack of Chicken of the Sea tuna and it smelled bad. I figured it was a bad batch so I bought another pack and same thing. You guys shouldn't buy this stuff, it smells horrible. I switched to Kirkland brand and it smells fine.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have been unable to eat over the last couple of weeks. Last night I was looking for something that sounded easy to make, protein filled and little fat content. I open a can of Chicken of the Sea solid white albacore, drained it using can lid, gave my kitty a good piece, added a splash of lemon and began to eat. I have found bone in tuna before and was not that alarmed when I felt a crunch. Then another crunch and I felt a sliver and spit it into a napkin. IT WAS GLASS!!! I looked through what remained and going a sizable piece of glass, as well as more slivers.

I am scared for my cat, myself, others who may have been hurt by the same batch of cans of said product. It was embedded in the tuna and was not easily seen by looking at it. I swallowed glass!!! I have Addison’s disease and any shock or stress to body like hemorrhage or routine surgery CAN BE DEADLY FOR ME!!! What can be done about this to hold that company responsible for what they have done? I have no money to pay a lawyer. I am really worried about the glass in my body.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I was grocery shopping this week and wanted to buy some Albacore tuna. I grabbed a can of StarKist and put it in my cart, I then noticed Chicken of the Sea was on sale and got 4 cans of those as well. I first opened the StarKist and it was great, large chunks of white Albacore that had virtually no odor, it was a quality product and tasted wonderful. The next day I opened the can of Chicken of the Sea. OMG, I couldn't believe how bad it looked and smelled! It was small pieces of brownish colored mush and smelled overwhelmingly fishy. I was just shocked at the difference between the two brands and the fact that the government allows this to be labeled and sold as "chunk white Albacore tuna".

I am taking back the remaining cans and will never buy Chicken of the Sea again, either Albacore or regular tuna. I'm not going to bother and complain to the company, I wouldn't want or use a coupon for their products. It's a shame because I grew up with this brand and ate it for years, but it's clear the company's bottom line is about money and not quality. I can't even be charitable and donate it to a food pantry, I wouldn't want to take a chance that it's safe to eat! Really too bad that corporate greed trumps a brand that has been around for years and was decent. StarKist was great, will stick with this brand now!

Chicken of the Sea Company Information