2. Shopping
  3. Food Products

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.78/5

Chicken of the Sea Reviews

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I bought several cans of Chicken of the Sea Albacore Solid White Tuna (in water) expecting a quality tuna in the can. The tuna in the can was not packed tightly and was very loose in the water and very mushy. I was ripped off by them. I saved the remainder cans and I will forward them to the FDA (Federal US government Food and Drug Administration). I do not play the run-around game when it comes to food. Report your concerns if you feel you have been taken advantage of with your food purchases to the FDA, they have regulations concerning appropriate labeling of canned tuna and other foods. The current company owning Chicken of the Sea is the Thai Union Group in Samut Sakhon, Thailand - NOT Van Camp!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I purchased 6 cups of Infusions sundried tomato four days ago. When I opened the product to eat it was molded and spoiled. Will include photos. It is so disgusting! Very bad quality control. Very disappointed in this product as a whole! Someone is going to get very sick eating this product. I want a full refund and considering reporting to drug and food administration!

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Like many of the others grew up eating Chicken of the Sea. What has happened to the quality? I recently tried it twice, both time which should have been quality albacore was mushy, fatty like substance and smelly. No more Chicken of the Sea for us.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I went to my pantry and grab a can of Chicken of the Sea Tuna in Water. I opened the can to find it covered in white green and blue mold and fungus. This was to be served to my nine-year-old daughter on who loves pasta with tuna and I was beyond mortified. I honestly never have had this issue before but this one time and the severity of it has really put me off.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I purchased 3 cans of VanCamp's Chicken of the Sea Chunk White Albacore Tuna in water from Dollar Tree on Main Street in the Tractor Supply Plaza in Gouverneur, NY. 13642. I tried to contact the Dollar Tree through their website but they do not have the button to click on for reporting products. This tuna is the worst I have ever bought. Smells putrid, half rotten, and should not be eaten. Save your money and buy real tuna in the regular grocery stores. Even most of my cats walked away from it and the two that did eat it got sick and threw it up. Any other brand and they beg for more. Product of Thailand, but canned in the US. Date of use is 01/15/22. This tuna fish does not even make good pet food, so do not risk eating it or feeding it to humans. The bar code is: 0 48000 03365 9

The weight of these cans are 5 ounce cans. I purchased it less than a week ago.

Even the trashiest tuna known to man that is distributed by Food Pantry's is a far cry better than this that my cats will eat, but I will not due to the smell of that also. This product needs to be recalled and pulled from the shelves. Not easy to report this product to those that can make a difference. You should be ashamed selling this product in your stores.

At least Dollar General sells good tasting tuna. My only inconvenience is cleaning up the cat puke, and not having tuna to put into my mac salad which the other ingredients will no doubt go bad before I can get a ride back to a store that sells great tasting tuna, such as Dollar General. One thing to remember if you get to read this post, I am honest and tell it exactly like it is with absolutely no exaggeration. You can stick this tuna where the sun don't shine.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chicken of the Sea?

Original review: June 8, 2019

Like all the others, I grew up with Chicken of the Sea. The tuna is disgusting now. I had fish skin and two bones before I could get through half of my sandwich. I have 7 cans left and will not donate it or even give it to my dogs. I feel nauseous and my stomach is gurgling. This is completely ridiculous. There are so many on here saying the same things, I cannot believe they can still send this bottom of the barrel junk.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Began making my tuna salad as usual by mixing all my other ingredients first, then pulled 4 cans from a 12 pack to add to it. I opened the first to find a thick gelatinous looking white scum on top of mushy tuna shreds. No water was apparent. I set that can aside & opened 2 more to find varying degrees of the same thing. As stomach turning as it looked it smelled okay to my nose, but I held it down for my 20lb Norwegian Forest Cat who will eat anything & usually can't wait for his share. He wouldn't come near the can. I'm not able to stomach the idea of eating it either so all 12 cans are going in the garbage where they belong. I'm having fancy egg salad instead.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I bought several cans of Chicken of the Sea light tuna (product of Vietnam) and noticed a bad smell and mushy tuna. It certainly was neither chunk nor light. I made tuna salad with it, giving it a chance of just looking different, rather than tasting spoiled, like it did. I opened another can, thinking maybe this one can was bad... The next 4 cans were the same. Went to lunch with a friend, who unsolicited, told me the same story about her Chicken of the Sea tuna. I will not buy another can of tuna with Chicken of the Sea on it.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I grew up on this stuff! Loved it. The quality has gone way down. I was unable to drain it completely because tuna was in tiny flakes not chunks like it used to be. I'll never buy it again. Sad to say!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I bought a pack of packaged salmon from Walmart. I ate some tonight and not even five mins my stomach began feeling queasy and sick and all I knew was I had to get this crap out of my body because my body is not feeling this salmon and now I am literally on the toilet. I have diarrhea. My stomach hurts soo bad. :'( Not cool.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Chicken of the Sea Company Information