3.61/5

335 Bumble Bee Tuna Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 19, 2019

Can says, Product of Mauritius. Use by Feb. 09, 2022. Canned in San Diego. This “tuna” was not white and fairly minced. The smell though... was Horrible! Tuna stinks. That’s normal, this was not normal though. Rancid, Rotten. Repulsive. No quality control. No more Bumble Bee for me.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Like many I grew up eating tuna, you just grab a can of Bumble Bee or Starkist tuna and you didn't think anything about it. In the last few years since I have been eating more organic foods from organic markets, so I have been eating wild caught tuna. Yet I still had regular tuna periodically when visiting family/friends. So recently when I was in a non-organic grocery store I decided to grab some cans of tuna (I lost the receipt so I cannot remember which store). I finally opened the can ready to use my new chipotle mayo to make tuna salad. After draining the water, I started looking at the off color of the tuna but then I saw what I initially thought were bones, but on further investigation it looks like glass or hard plastic. I immediately lost my appetite for tuna, not even willing to open a different brand that I had bought after getting the Bumble Bee brand. Now that I have read some of the reviews on this site I will NEVER buy Bumble Bee again.

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have been eating another brand of tuna in a pouch for quite a long while and have enjoyed them. Last week I decided to try Bumble Bee and wow! My first pouch was the lemon pepper. The lemon flavor was stronger than what I taste when eating the other brand, but not overpowering. I have not tried all the flavors yet, but those I have eaten the flavors are fantastic! They are moist, juicy and so flavorful. Bumble Bee has quickly replaced my old brand for lunches and afternoon snacks.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I had an 8 pack of Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore 7 oz cans packed in water. Had been on my the shelf for some time but date March 21, 2020 - still fine. I opened three of these and will dispose of other five. The cans had black corrosion or substance descending down from the top along the inside wall. The contents smelled bad, was mushy, watery, oily and and was not solid white. There was off color areas that appeared to be near the areas where the apparent black corrosion was on the inside wall of the cans. The cans were sealed and no evidence of leaking. Caught in Pacific Ocean Product of Fiji Canned in USA was printed on the label. Code on the can bottom is: 708CSWCSKP 21:01 Best if used by Mar 21, 2020.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I am very sad a disappointed in the Bumble Bee brand. I have called and complained and it does NO GOOD. I love eating sardines. I have tried this brand over and over... it's so gross that they leave the tails on the fish. I will no longer be a Bumble Bee customer no longer. Buyers Beware!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bumble Bee?

Original review: March 3, 2019

Took my time to call to report. Going to send me 3 coupons to replace. Never sent. Last week I called to report 3 more cans grey mush. Gave all information for quality control. No coupons received. Chicken of the Sea here I come. What happened to the chunk white.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Opened 12 Oz. can of Bumble Bee solid white Albacore tuna in water and it was nearly all just flakes of tuna, no solid pieces. Does not appear to meet the definition of solid tuna according to the regulations. Side of the can marked B06 050718 0321, purchased at the Jungle Jim’s store at Eastgate, Cincinnati Ohio. The tuna had an off smell and was just small flakes. I have the can.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Opened a 12 ounce can of Bumble Bee Wild Caught Solid White Tuna in Water today. It looked and smelled absolutely disgusting! It was dark gray, but definitely not white. Called customer service to complain. After a 12-minute wait, representative told me the discoloration was due to what the fish ate prior to processing. Very disappointed with this. Been a customer for more than 50 years. Oh, they’re sending me a coupon for the can I threw in the garbage. Big deal! No more Bumble Bee for me. Don’t call it “solid white” when it’s mushy gray. Don’t be surprised if someone gets sick from eating this.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I don’t think I ever ever been more grossed out looking at a can of tuna fish before! I purchased a few of these from my local ShopRite. Which their produce goes bad very quickly, but after seeing this I’m not sure anymore about anything. This is the second or third time I have had to throw a whole can of tuna fish away. This doesn’t look appetizing at all, and it’s not like they are cheap either.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Three medium sized bones on top of fish and another buried in the fish. Fish was not white and very mealy. Prior to this experience we have had the same experience only one other time. Have taken unopened package back to exchange.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I opened the can of Bumble Bee Tuna (Solid White Albacore) caught in the Indian Ocean product of Mauritius #3261SCESKP 01433 best used by Sept. 18, 2021. It contained three very small winged bugs, they are definitely insects and not scales! I threw the contents out and saved the three insects, just disgusting. The company is responsible for this food product to provide it safe for consumption. This is unacceptable.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Not even worth one star. The product was disgusting not to mention the fact that there were large bones in it. I have pictures. It wasn't out of date per the can, but it was more like a dark slimy Chum. Will NEVER buy this brand again. In fact I threw out the other cans I had in the cupboard.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

The inside of the 66.5 ounce can of Bumble Bee Tuna was peeling inside. Don't know what the can is coated with. Very dangerous! Would appreciate your feedback! Would you eat this product with the inside peeling into your product?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I opened a can of this white Albacore tuna packaged by Bumble Bee. It was so iffy looking and smelly and dark colored that I decided not to eat it. It looked like the most disgusting Albacore tuna I have ever seen. Will not buy Bumble Bee again, that is for sure!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I purchased Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore Tuna. Can contained mushy, flaked and slimy tuna. At first I thought the product was past the expiration date, but it was stamped "use by Sept 18 2021". I can't imagine what this would look like nearly 3 years from now. Bumble Bee was always my choice in canned tuna. I have seen a steady decline in their quality. I will not buy this brand again. Sorry I did not take a photo before I dumped it into the garbage disposal.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Opened a large can of white albacore tuna packed in water. Smelled very fishy and was pink and dark in color, found some scales in the can. Looked like cat food. Very disappointing. Not sure I will buy Bumble Bee anymore.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have purchased this product in the past and have not had any problems. The last purchase was uneatable. I'm not a marine biologist, but this was more like tuna diarrhea. Did not even open the other can. The better tuna must be going to the immigrants rather than the store shelves.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Not solid white, every color but white, smells bad. Never again. All the cans the same. What are those little black pieces? So bad, it has turned me off to all tuna. People are right, this is like cat food.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Absolutely disgusted with this product! Looks like I’ve had the same experience as most - dark colored mush with an overwhelmingly foul odor. However when I dumped it into a bowl, it really wasn’t wet mush at all. It actually seemed dry & had hard bits all throughout. I checked the date, knowing I just bought it a week ago, just to be sure. They all said 2019, so I opened a second can hoping the first was just a fluke, but it was just as bad. I have noticed the quality hasn’t been up to par recently, but this was something else entirely. I grew up on B.B. Tuna, and always remember large, white chunks filling the can. Now you can’t find a solid piece in the entire thing. So disappointing, especially since the price appears to go up and up as the quality continues to plummet.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I bought a Bumble Bee Lunch on the Run-Tuna Salad-Complete Lunch Kit and as I was eating my tuna, I found several long stringy pieces of plastic inside the tuna. I was appalled and concerned for my health. I do not know if I ingested pieces of tuna before my discovery. I would like an investigation to be performed as to how this could have happened. I have video as more evidence. Please contact me at ** if you have any further questions. Thank You.

Original review: June 27, 2018

This was the worst tuna I have ever in my 57 years on this planet seen. It was pink, red and brown. The customer service rep said it changed color in can. Bull. It was not chunk and definitely not white. How they get away with this. This is clearly fraudulent behavior of big corporation...

Original review: June 7, 2018

There has been a recent concern with quality of Bumble Bee Products. Where I once bought their Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water with confidence, I was disgusted in the product I just purchased. I will include photos as well, but let's just say that the myriad of bones, crusty yellow substance and cat food like appearance were as equally as disturbing as the less "white" nature of the tuna.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have been buying the tab top Heritage Brand tuna for over a year and recently, the cans have changed. The tab top Heritage tuna was a beautiful, pure white, solid tuna. Now, the cans have the same label but no tab top. I bought these cans, thinking they were the same but they are not. The tuna inside is not the same, it's a disgusting gray, chopped looking tuna that smells like bad cat food and no longer has the tab top. I called the company and spoke to John and he said it's the same tuna and that it depends on what the fish ate the day it was processed. This is so ridiculous! I believe Bumble Bee has pulled a bait and switch on the consumer, giving us the tuna that doesn't sell and putting on the Heritage Label hoping we would think its the same tuna. Something must be done about this! Bumble Bee! Stop lying and give me back the original Heritage brand tuna!

Original review: May 19, 2018

Recently we purchased and 8 pack of the 5 oz. cans of YOUR Bumble Bee "Premium SOLID WHITE ALBACORE TUNA IN WATER. This product must have been mislabeled, it should say; CAT FOOD, not for humans. The smell was so strong it was like going into a fish market where the fish is two weeks old with no ice or AC.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have always used StarKist products. For some reason, thought I would try their Bumble Bee 12 oz. SOLID Albacore in water. Sorry I did. The one thing they got right is the "IN WATER!" In fact, it's swimming in water - to add to the overall weight. I don't know about how Bumble Bee defines "SOLID" but upon opening it, it looked shredded. (See Pic) First and last time I will purchase a Bumble Bee product. How about "Truth in Advertising."??

Original review: March 16, 2018

I bought a large 12 oz can of Bumble Bee White Albacore wild-caught tuna and when I open the can the smell was horrendous. I continued to make the tuna salad trying to ignore the odor because the tuna looked chunky but I couldn't ignore the smell and possible contamination so I had to throw it out. Prior to making the tuna salad, I was trying to talk my husband into eating some tuna with me and he agreed to try some (he's not a tuna person) but the odor was so horrible that I had to throw it out. So he knows that he was right in not wanting to eat tuna. I expected a fishy smell but it was a really musty smell. Believe me, I won't be able to get him to eat any tuna in the future and because of this experience; it'll be awhile for me to trust any tuna product. I loved Bumble Bee. The product # is 7333SF2SKP 08:40 best if used by 11/29/2020.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I found 1/4 inch glass or plastic in my Bumble Bee albacore tuna in water (I eat it straight out of the can.) I found glass or plastic measuring 1/4 long at the largest piece. The other pieces were smaller counting approximately 12 pieces just sticking out of the tuna on top. I wrote Bumble Bee and their response was that it was magnesium ammonium phosphate hexahydrate and that it would dissolve in my stomach. They also wanted me to mail the can to them, so they could examine it in their lab. If it was magnesium ammonium phosphate hexahydrate, it would dissolve in boiling water with vinegar and lemon. It did not dissolve. I have been having horrible stomach pain and it is now 3 days later. I only ate maybe 3 bites, then noticed the crunch. I am very disappointed in the response from Bumble Bee!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I wanted tuna salad for lunch... I had a half dozen cans of BB chunk white tuna in my pantry. I have had problems with their light tuna, so started getting chunk white. Sometimes okay, but hasn't been really good in years. Anyway, opened one can, nothing but mush... as many have already said, liquid could not be separated from the tuna... nor were there chunks of anything but possibly compacted fish, certainly not WHITE chunks of TUNA. It looked like fish sawdust soaked with something disgusting I couldn't identify. So disgusted, I tried another can... same thing. Cat wanted nothing to do with it, either.

I sent pictures to the company explaining the MUSH issue. They're definitely aware of the color issue; THAT was not MY complaint, but it's what they responded to. I'll apparently be getting coupons, too. Next thing they ask in a survey is if I would recommend their products to family or friends. If I, personally, can't trust their product? Of course not! When they asked why not, I very clearly explained first, that they hadn't even READ my email... or they were responding to someone else's issue. Either way, not inspiring trust in their products. Bumble Bee ANYTHING is off MY table. Crime that they're getting SO much money out of us just to have US take out their GARBAGE for them. Seriously feeling taken advantage of after reading all these reviews. Why don't they have to address this instead of just continuing to take our hard-earned money for garbage? 7155542 CKP 08:14. Best by JUN 05 2020.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

This brand has fallen off somewhere. It used to smell, look, and taste great. Now for the past few years every single time I purchase this item it smells like rot and it’s either light green or rainbow tinged. I have seen it across the board from this brand. No matter the store. The cans are never damaged or expired. They aren’t cheap either. I wasted around $3 per can on 4 cans. What’s going on Bumble Bee?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Solid white albacore in water gray mussy smells. Extremely smelly, grey, soft, did not look edible. And it's good until 5/2020. There wasn't any reason to eat this. Just want you to know that. Thank you in advance.

Bumble Bee Tuna Company Information