Bumble Bee Tuna

Compare Food Products

Research top Food Products recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Bumble Bee tuna used to be considered one of the best and now I have to say that it is definitely one of the worst. It is no longer White, it is mushy and it contains bones. I just found a bone in the tuna and it is about an inch long. I am so totally disgusted I will never buy this tuna again. I don't know what happened to this company but boy did it ever go downhill. And I have been eating tuna for at least 55 years. Stay away from this stuff.

I opened a can of albacore tuna today. As I attempted to squeeze the water out of the can, a thick slime came out. When I opened the can to view the tuna, it was a mixture of yellow and brown slimey. The can stated: "Best consumed before 8/18. Processed or made in Thailand." Threw the can away but I really wish I could return it to Thailand!

When I opened the can of Wild Caught Albacore, it had black looking mold in the meat and on the inside of the lid. The meat inside had 3 different colors white, yellow, and pink? Sick!! The yellow looked mushy. Pictures attached. I remember the last can I bought something was off with the texture. It was like eating very mushy something on my bread and I ended up throwing it out. I won't be buying anymore BumbleBee!

Bumble Bee Prime Fillet Solid White Albacore in Water - I had the same experience as others who have bought this four pack of tuna. When I opened the first can, it was a gray color and had what looked like mold in it. So I opened a second can, same thing. I wrote to Bumble Bee 2 weeks ago, no response. The number on the cans are 7055501SKF 05:25. It also says Best if used by Feb 24, 2020. This is not acceptable and should be taken care immediately.

I purchased the 4 pack Solid White Albacore said "prime" in the gold can. I opened it and was about to vomit! One can was all watery and had black in it and looked like moldy chum!! The smell is something I never want to smell again and never want to eat this tuna again. I wouldn't even give it to my cats. Almost 3 bucks a can for that and what is your quality control people doing?? What a shame. I will be scratching Bumble Bee off my shopping list!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bumble Bee?

I opened a small can from a 3 can package and placed it (the can) on the floor for cats and put some on plate on floor in morning. When I came home that night after work the outer coating of the tuna pieces was hot pink!!! If one crumbles a piece inside is regular white/beige color. I don't think this is normal. Cats would not eat it either.

I echo previous recent reviews. I opened the can and it is MUSH. No Chunk. Not even only water. It says in tiny print that an ingredient is vegetable broth. I have never seen or tasted any tuna so disgusting. I will throw it away. BB should not be permitted to produce this product. It is bait and switch. Not what it purports to be. I want my money back: $1.99 plus DC tax.

I've been sick from the last 2 cans of Bumble Bee's Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water. I make a cold tuna & macaroni salad about once a month. The previous 2 times I noticed there is nothing WHITE about this tuna. It's mushy, and pink, orange and a little tan color. Also I've had small bone slivers in the tuna. This time after eating my salad within a 12 hr period I'd be running to the bathroom. But I just thought I had a 24 hr virus. So the following day I had some salad, I was awoken at 4:00 AM with extreme abdominal pain and went running to the bathroom. I didn't connect the dots until today when I checked this site for recalls. I've bought Bumble Bee for over 40 yrs, but no more. Please take heed and don't buy Bumble Bee products. It's not worth your health!!! I will follow up with the cans labels, not sure if I have the receipt.

CAT FOOD is the comment from several on our cooking Facebook blog. This is the 2nd time I've opened a can of SOLID white albacore tuna from Bumble Bee that was anything but solid! It looked like mushed up regular tuna. I sent photos of it next to an open can of HEB grocery solid white albacore and asked them what their definition of solid white was! I sent them the same complaint about a month ago, they sent coupons and some sort of mumbo-jumbo explanation. Next email/letter is to the gov't for consumer fraudulent product.

Didn't look right. Not one bit. I seasoned it and everything. Still wasn't feeling it the appearance. Walked away for few moments. Upon my arrival what do I see. Worms!!! Live worms you guys!!! Please don't eat that. They were moving and everything. My daughter ate some. While I was away from it. I'm DISGUSTED.

Bought 2 cans and opened one. Normally the white albacore is solid and white. This had green looking tuna mixed into the tuna and the green portion had a bad smell. I will be taking these back and I will never by Bumble Bee again. I will switch to StarKist.

I opened a can of Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore yesterday. It was purchased at Sam's Club and dated May 2019. I never buy anything but solid white and this had no resemblance to any I've seen before. There was no way I would have eaten it and my husband agreed emphatically. I opened a second can, then a third. All were disgusting. I'll never buy it again and would return the remaining 3 cans but no longer have a receipt. The photo isn't of the worst looking can - that one had a couple of little black things in it.

The last time I ate Bumble Bee tuna was a few years ago and it was delicious. When I opened this can of Bumble Bee white albacore, as with so many of the other reviews I read, the smell was atrocious. I thought this might be a fluke bad can, but reading on I learned that this is now part for the course with Bumble Bee who sources their tuna off the shores of Thailand (indicating on the label that it is caught in the Pacific Ocean). Thailand is known for having the filthiest, dirtiest water in their lakes and rivers, which of course, flow into the ocean. In this case, the "Pacific" Ocean. I tried to make a sandwich and took one bite. Even smothered in thick mayonnaise, the taint came through and my stomach is still churning a bit. Asian carp comes from Thailand as does another low-quality smelly fish that the Myanmarians here in the U.S. relish.

My friend cooked some Alaskan whitefish the other evening for some Myanmarians and they did not like it. It was delicate, tender and flavorful. Nothing like this abomination in a can. Bumble Bee needs to fish elsewhere than Thailand. Get your act together and get some tuna boats fishing 600 miles off the Pacific Coast of the United States than reopen your West Coast canneries and you might get some satisfied customers again. I am even afraid to offer this can to my cat, not knowing what atrocities he might ingest. Now I need to go wash my hands repeatedly to get the smell off (hopefully) as well as clean my can opener thoroughly. I really hate when companies move their operations overseas just for the cheap labor. Poor quality is unfortunately a bedfellow when that happens. This can and any others are going in the garbage tomorrow! Code on bottom of can: VRC3X ASCEB 16:10.

Good product, but WATCH FOR BONES! Others have shown their pics, check out mine... HUGE piece of vertebrae bone found in the can. About 1 can in 3 has bones with this brand (most are small, fingernail-like shaving of bones, others are long and pointy). This picture I took last night (threw the can away). I don't know what the issue is, but it's gotten worse and worse over the years, as their tuna actually tastes good and isn't bad otherwise. Too bad.

After being a loyal Starkist fan for practically my entire life I decided to try Bumble Bee Chunk White Tuna in Water and I couldn't have regretted it more! 3 out of the 4 cans I bought were soggy, chunky, gooey slime filled cans! I tried to drain water and goop was oozing out of the sides!!! I couldn't find a normal piece of tuna in there if I tried. Seriously the sickest thing I've ever encountered. It looked TOXIC. I came online to see if anyone else had bad experiences with that brand and apparently there are thousands who have. So nasty! Why is this company still allowed to produce this product! I can't believe people haven't become deathly ill yet.

The only tuna I have eaten for most of my adult life is Bumble Bee Albacore in water, and eventually the Premium version when it was introduced. I, like so many others here noticed a change in the quality. I started reading the label. For awhile it was sourced from some county I had never heard of, and that point I was still hoping that my bad experiences were one-offs. Now the "premium" tuna is sourced from Thailand. Thailand is considered the absolute worst with regards to how seafood is caught.

Who knows what is actually going on or what is in those cans. I can't take that risk. I've had no tuna for awhile now and am now researching brands to try. Maybe we can help one grow while while sending the message to Bumble Bee that they are no longer a desired brand. Read the labels!!! (Like Walmart meat - which I don't buy because they ship from oversees and stamp it USDA inspected - or produce and juices that could easily be sourced in the US, but are imported instead.) Read the labels and tell friends and family to do the same.

On Feb. 22, 2017 at 12:15 pm I had opened a can of Chunk White Albacore Tuna, as I have for years. I mixed it with some mayonnaise, like I always do. I tasted it and then I choked on something. I removed it from my mouth and discovered it was a couple of pieces of bone, or plastic. I'm not sure exactly what it is. I immediately threw it in the trash. Whatever it is had scratched the inside of my throat. I went into my cabinet and threw the other 8 cans in the garbage. I will never buy this brand again. This has made me very skeptical about trying other brands of tuna. I just had open heart surgery, so I don't need any other medical problems, and I'm sure if I had swallowed these items, I would have some major problems.

Today I made myself a can of Bumble Bee Chunk White Albacore Tuna. After taking a bite of my sandwich, I chomped on a piece of what I believe to be a bone or part of a tooth. It was white hard about an inch long pointy at each end. What a horrible experience. I will be contacting BJ's Wholesale Club to let them know, hopefully they'll pull the product.

I, like so many other consumers who have written about Bumble Bee Tuna, have been using the same Solid Albacore in Water for years. I read all of the horrible complaints about some of the same things that I have discovered recently, and now, what I experienced today, makes total sense! I had noticed that the quality was definitely going downhill... The nice, big white chunks were gone - replaced with a few chunks mixed in with mush, and the color was not the same, either.

I hadn't really been too concerned, though... Until today. Today, I opened my can of tuna, drained it, scooped it out onto my bread (on the "forever diet"), was folding it over, when something fell out of the bread onto the plate. It was a piece of either bone or plastic... An inch long, white, with very pointy/sharp ends. I had been just about to eat that! What if I had? It could have stabbed my gums, the roof of my mouth... Or gone down my throat! What if I had made it into a salad, and brought it to an elderly person, or made it at the homeless shelter? Or the worst possible scenario... What if a child had swallowed it??!

I'm looking right now, for a # to call, but in reading the other reviews, it doesn't look too promising... I am so mad right now, especially after reading all the other complaints, and seeing the lack of concern, or action, on the part of Bumble Bee. This product, with all of these complaints on quality, should have been checked long ago. But now, finding something potentially dangerous... Even life threatening... It should be pulled completely off the shelves until this company can get its act together! Shame on you, Bumble Bee!

I opened a can of Prime Fillet Tuna in water (the one in the gold can). Found two bugs packed in the tuna!!! Bumble Bee, you have lost a long standing customer! I took several photos and sent them to company along with my complaint email... Now, let's see if they respond!

I bought a can at Winco, got it home, opened it, I nearly got sick from the odor. It smelled like it was spoiled!! I can't believe they get away with selling this crap to people. It's worse than walking down at the wharf where they gut the fish out and it all sits there and rots! Unacceptable.

This used to be beautiful large white chunks of tuna. Now I'm not sure what kind of fish is in these cans. I miss the good Albacore. I'll be switching to another brand in the hope they actually have real Albacore!

Just purchased a 8 pack of Bumble Bee solid white albacore canned tuna in water from Costco. I have been enjoying this product for years, although I haven't purchased in about 1 year. Opened up a can today and the smell drove me running from the kitchen, the strongest old fish odor I think I've ever smelled from any kind of fish. The color used to be a wonderful white, this was light brown and gooey. Went straight to the trash. Opened a second can hoping to give benefit of the doubt and it was just one rare bad can. OMG 2nd can was worse, slimy, smelly and orange brown color penetrated 1/3 rd of the top of the can. I would not in desperation even feed this to a starving stray cat much less feed my family. What a shame that such a large food producer would pass off this product as edible food. Shame Shame on Bumble Bee. Purchased at Costco, Virginia store Jan. 2017.

Just opened can of Bumble Bee solid white albacore tuna in water. Yucky... mushy and darkish yellow parts. Looked for phone number to complain but the can has none. Then went to internet and saw all the complaints! Will discard this can and buy Bumble Bee nevermore.

I purchased 2 cans of this solid white albacore tuna in oil and got very sick. I was vomiting for hours and blood pressure ran so high and ended up in the emergency room. I did not know there were so many people with the same issue, something needs to be done to stop company from selling this junk. Never again will I buy bumble bee or any since I am so turned off. I wonder if they will pay my hospital bill from the emergency room?

We opened a can of Bumble Bee a few hours ago. I decided to google this because the can was colored orange on the top of the Tuna about 1/2 inch down. It didn't smell bad, it hardly smelled at all which seemed strange. We decided not to take a chance and eat it because of the coloring. I've been eating Bumble Bee all my life and have never seen this color before. I've already thrown it in the garbage or I would put up a pic of it.

I recently purchased four cans on sale at my local Supermercado and all four were Pure "MUSH". The Taste, Color and Flavor were not too bad. But they were packed in water and were like just Soupy MUSH! I've had better luck with Chicken of the Sea and Starkist lately and of those two Starkist has been the BEST! I will NO longer buy Bumble Bee any longer. I remember back in the 1970's and 1980's Bumble was always a High Quality Dependable Brand. But the company has been passed around from one Private Equity Outfit to another worse than a Old Worn Out Rag Doll over these past 10-15 years. So I guess that might explain their Epic Decline?

Bumble Bee used to give you solid white Tuna. Basically now you're getting cat food! The smell and taste are absolutely horrible. What the hell happened Bumble Bee? Did you fire your entire quality control dept? I've grown up on your tuna. Sadly I'm not wasting any more of my money on your product. Wake up and good luck to you.

I remember Bumblebee as being just fine a few years ago, but no more. I have bought a handful of cans in the past months, and they seem to be getting worse each time. I just now spit out my lunch (a salad with tuna) and threw the rest of the salad away because the tuna was so foul. I am angry because now I have to go buy lunch - and the objective of bringing lunch from home was to save money! I also cannot get the hideous flavor out of my mouth. Bumblebee, I don't know what has happened, but I hope you get your act together because - right now - I would not even feed this hideousness to my cat.

Good lord! I opened a can of Bumble Bee white Albacore tuna and the stench about made me lose my breakfast. I had to look up recalls to make sure that wasn't the problem. Now I see from other reviews I'm not the only one who thinks this brand has issues. I have had Bumble Bee tuna in the past but it never smelled this rancid. I'm tossing it and going with another brand next time. Yuck!

Bumble Bee Tuna Company Profile