1.17/5
Based on 235 reviews that contain star ratings

318 Bumble Bee Tuna Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Not solid white, every color but white, smells bad. Never again. All the cans the same. What are those little black pieces? So bad, it has turned me off to all tuna. People are right, this is like cat food.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Absolutely disgusted with this product! Looks like I’ve had the same experience as most - dark colored mush with an overwhelmingly foul odor. However when I dumped it into a bowl, it really wasn’t wet mush at all. It actually seemed dry & had hard bits all throughout. I checked the date, knowing I just bought it a week ago, just to be sure. They all said 2019, so I opened a second can hoping the first was just a fluke, but it was just as bad. I have noticed the quality hasn’t been up to par recently, but this was something else entirely. I grew up on B.B. Tuna, and always remember large, white chunks filling the can. Now you can’t find a solid piece in the entire thing. So disappointing, especially since the price appears to go up and up as the quality continues to plummet.

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I bought a Bumble Bee Lunch on the Run-Tuna Salad-Complete Lunch Kit and as I was eating my tuna, I found several long stringy pieces of plastic inside the tuna. I was appalled and concerned for my health. I do not know if I ingested pieces of tuna before my discovery. I would like an investigation to be performed as to how this could have happened. I have video as more evidence. Please contact me at ** if you have any further questions. Thank You.

Original review: June 27, 2018

This was the worst tuna I have ever in my 57 years on this planet seen. It was pink, red and brown. The customer service rep said it changed color in can. Bull. It was not chunk and definitely not white. How they get away with this. This is clearly fraudulent behavior of big corporation...

Original review: June 7, 2018

There has been a recent concern with quality of Bumble Bee Products. Where I once bought their Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water with confidence, I was disgusted in the product I just purchased. I will include photos as well, but let's just say that the myriad of bones, crusty yellow substance and cat food like appearance were as equally as disturbing as the less "white" nature of the tuna.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bumble Bee?

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have been buying the tab top Heritage Brand tuna for over a year and recently, the cans have changed. The tab top Heritage tuna was a beautiful, pure white, solid tuna. Now, the cans have the same label but no tab top. I bought these cans, thinking they were the same but they are not. The tuna inside is not the same, it's a disgusting gray, chopped looking tuna that smells like bad cat food and no longer has the tab top. I called the company and spoke to John and he said it's the same tuna and that it depends on what the fish ate the day it was processed. This is so ridiculous! I believe Bumble Bee has pulled a bait and switch on the consumer, giving us the tuna that doesn't sell and putting on the Heritage Label hoping we would think its the same tuna. Something must be done about this! Bumble Bee! Stop lying and give me back the original Heritage brand tuna!

Original review: May 19, 2018

Recently we purchased and 8 pack of the 5 oz. cans of YOUR Bumble Bee "Premium SOLID WHITE ALBACORE TUNA IN WATER. This product must have been mislabeled, it should say; CAT FOOD, not for humans. The smell was so strong it was like going into a fish market where the fish is two weeks old with no ice or AC.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have always used StarKist products. For some reason, thought I would try their Bumble Bee 12 oz. SOLID Albacore in water. Sorry I did. The one thing they got right is the "IN WATER!" In fact, it's swimming in water - to add to the overall weight. I don't know about how Bumble Bee defines "SOLID" but upon opening it, it looked shredded. (See Pic) First and last time I will purchase a Bumble Bee product. How about "Truth in Advertising."??

Original review: March 16, 2018

I bought a large 12 oz can of Bumble Bee White Albacore wild-caught tuna and when I open the can the smell was horrendous. I continued to make the tuna salad trying to ignore the odor because the tuna looked chunky but I couldn't ignore the smell and possible contamination so I had to throw it out. Prior to making the tuna salad, I was trying to talk my husband into eating some tuna with me and he agreed to try some (he's not a tuna person) but the odor was so horrible that I had to throw it out. So he knows that he was right in not wanting to eat tuna. I expected a fishy smell but it was a really musty smell. Believe me, I won't be able to get him to eat any tuna in the future and because of this experience; it'll be awhile for me to trust any tuna product. I loved Bumble Bee. The product # is 7333SF2SKP 08:40 best if used by 11/29/2020.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I found 1/4 inch glass or plastic in my Bumble Bee albacore tuna in water (I eat it straight out of the can.) I found glass or plastic measuring 1/4 long at the largest piece. The other pieces were smaller counting approximately 12 pieces just sticking out of the tuna on top. I wrote Bumble Bee and their response was that it was magnesium ammonium phosphate hexahydrate and that it would dissolve in my stomach. They also wanted me to mail the can to them, so they could examine it in their lab. If it was magnesium ammonium phosphate hexahydrate, it would dissolve in boiling water with vinegar and lemon. It did not dissolve. I have been having horrible stomach pain and it is now 3 days later. I only ate maybe 3 bites, then noticed the crunch. I am very disappointed in the response from Bumble Bee!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I wanted tuna salad for lunch... I had a half dozen cans of BB chunk white tuna in my pantry. I have had problems with their light tuna, so started getting chunk white. Sometimes okay, but hasn't been really good in years. Anyway, opened one can, nothing but mush... as many have already said, liquid could not be separated from the tuna... nor were there chunks of anything but possibly compacted fish, certainly not WHITE chunks of TUNA. It looked like fish sawdust soaked with something disgusting I couldn't identify. So disgusted, I tried another can... same thing. Cat wanted nothing to do with it, either.

I sent pictures to the company explaining the MUSH issue. They're definitely aware of the color issue; THAT was not MY complaint, but it's what they responded to. I'll apparently be getting coupons, too. Next thing they ask in a survey is if I would recommend their products to family or friends. If I, personally, can't trust their product? Of course not! When they asked why not, I very clearly explained first, that they hadn't even READ my email... or they were responding to someone else's issue. Either way, not inspiring trust in their products. Bumble Bee ANYTHING is off MY table. Crime that they're getting SO much money out of us just to have US take out their GARBAGE for them. Seriously feeling taken advantage of after reading all these reviews. Why don't they have to address this instead of just continuing to take our hard-earned money for garbage? 7155542 CKP 08:14. Best by JUN 05 2020.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

This brand has fallen off somewhere. It used to smell, look, and taste great. Now for the past few years every single time I purchase this item it smells like rot and it’s either light green or rainbow tinged. I have seen it across the board from this brand. No matter the store. The cans are never damaged or expired. They aren’t cheap either. I wasted around $3 per can on 4 cans. What’s going on Bumble Bee?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Solid white albacore in water gray mussy smells. Extremely smelly, grey, soft, did not look edible. And it's good until 5/2020. There wasn't any reason to eat this. Just want you to know that. Thank you in advance.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have been buying this tuna fish (Bumble Bee White Albacore Tuna Fish In Water) for years at Roche Bros. in Wellesley. It is no longer edible. Suddenly it's no longer white, it's pink, brown mush swimming in water. How does this company get away with this?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I am another dissatisfied consumer of this tuna (Bumble Bee Chunk White Albacore Tuna in H20). I opened up a 5 oz. can expecting high quality tuna for the price, but instead, as one other customer put it, there was a slimy gelatinous substance that I've never gotten with Chicken of the Sea tuna. It was also not "Chunk White". Instead it consisted of little pieces of dark brown light brown and pink mixed up and compressed to FEEL chunky. I did taste it, but it had a strange taste which I assumed came from the gelatinous "material". YIKES. I will never buy Bumble Bee Tuna again. In case Bumble Bee is interested, I bought it at a Walgreen's in Madison, WI— number on can: 7075SABCKP 18:14; CAUGHT IN MAURITIUS AND CANNED IN USA. BEST if used by March 16, 2020.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Bumble Bee tuna used to be considered one of the best and now I have to say that it is definitely one of the worst. It is no longer White, it is mushy and it contains bones. I just found a bone in the tuna and it is about an inch long. I am so totally disgusted I will never buy this tuna again. I don't know what happened to this company but boy did it ever go downhill. And I have been eating tuna for at least 55 years. Stay away from this stuff.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I opened a can of albacore tuna today. As I attempted to squeeze the water out of the can, a thick slime came out. When I opened the can to view the tuna, it was a mixture of yellow and brown slimey. The can stated: "Best consumed before 8/18. Processed or made in Thailand." Threw the can away but I really wish I could return it to Thailand!

Original review: July 21, 2017

When I opened the can of Wild Caught Albacore, it had black looking mold in the meat and on the inside of the lid. The meat inside had 3 different colors white, yellow, and pink? Sick!! The yellow looked mushy. Pictures attached. I remember the last can I bought something was off with the texture. It was like eating very mushy something on my bread and I ended up throwing it out. I won't be buying anymore BumbleBee!

Original review: July 8, 2017

Bumble Bee Prime Fillet Solid White Albacore in Water - I had the same experience as others who have bought this four pack of tuna. When I opened the first can, it was a gray color and had what looked like mold in it. So I opened a second can, same thing. I wrote to Bumble Bee 2 weeks ago, no response. The number on the cans are 7055501SKF 05:25. It also says Best if used by Feb 24, 2020. This is not acceptable and should be taken care immediately.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I purchased the 4 pack Solid White Albacore said "prime" in the gold can. I opened it and was about to vomit! One can was all watery and had black in it and looked like moldy chum!! The smell is something I never want to smell again and never want to eat this tuna again. I wouldn't even give it to my cats. Almost 3 bucks a can for that and what is your quality control people doing?? What a shame. I will be scratching Bumble Bee off my shopping list!!

Original review: June 20, 2017

I opened a small can from a 3 can package and placed it (the can) on the floor for cats and put some on plate on floor in morning. When I came home that night after work the outer coating of the tuna pieces was hot pink!!! If one crumbles a piece inside is regular white/beige color. I don't think this is normal. Cats would not eat it either.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I echo previous recent reviews. I opened the can and it is MUSH. No Chunk. Not even only water. It says in tiny print that an ingredient is vegetable broth. I have never seen or tasted any tuna so disgusting. I will throw it away. BB should not be permitted to produce this product. It is bait and switch. Not what it purports to be. I want my money back: $1.99 plus DC tax.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I've been sick from the last 2 cans of Bumble Bee's Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water. I make a cold tuna & macaroni salad about once a month. The previous 2 times I noticed there is nothing WHITE about this tuna. It's mushy, and pink, orange and a little tan color. Also I've had small bone slivers in the tuna. This time after eating my salad within a 12 hr period I'd be running to the bathroom. But I just thought I had a 24 hr virus. So the following day I had some salad, I was awoken at 4:00 AM with extreme abdominal pain and went running to the bathroom. I didn't connect the dots until today when I checked this site for recalls. I've bought Bumble Bee for over 40 yrs, but no more. Please take heed and don't buy Bumble Bee products. It's not worth your health!!! I will follow up with the cans labels, not sure if I have the receipt.

Original review: June 7, 2017

CAT FOOD is the comment from several on our cooking Facebook blog. This is the 2nd time I've opened a can of SOLID white albacore tuna from Bumble Bee that was anything but solid! It looked like mushed up regular tuna. I sent photos of it next to an open can of HEB grocery solid white albacore and asked them what their definition of solid white was! I sent them the same complaint about a month ago, they sent coupons and some sort of mumbo-jumbo explanation. Next email/letter is to the gov't for consumer fraudulent product.

Original review: April 26, 2017

Didn't look right. Not one bit. I seasoned it and everything. Still wasn't feeling it the appearance. Walked away for few moments. Upon my arrival what do I see. Worms!!! Live worms you guys!!! Please don't eat that. They were moving and everything. My daughter ate some. While I was away from it. I'm DISGUSTED.

Original review: April 20, 2017

Bought 2 cans and opened one. Normally the white albacore is solid and white. This had green looking tuna mixed into the tuna and the green portion had a bad smell. I will be taking these back and I will never by Bumble Bee again. I will switch to StarKist.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I opened a can of Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore yesterday. It was purchased at Sam's Club and dated May 2019. I never buy anything but solid white and this had no resemblance to any I've seen before. There was no way I would have eaten it and my husband agreed emphatically. I opened a second can, then a third. All were disgusting. I'll never buy it again and would return the remaining 3 cans but no longer have a receipt. The photo isn't of the worst looking can - that one had a couple of little black things in it.

Original review: March 11, 2017

The last time I ate Bumble Bee tuna was a few years ago and it was delicious. When I opened this can of Bumble Bee white albacore, as with so many of the other reviews I read, the smell was atrocious. I thought this might be a fluke bad can, but reading on I learned that this is now part for the course with Bumble Bee who sources their tuna off the shores of Thailand (indicating on the label that it is caught in the Pacific Ocean). Thailand is known for having the filthiest, dirtiest water in their lakes and rivers, which of course, flow into the ocean. In this case, the "Pacific" Ocean. I tried to make a sandwich and took one bite. Even smothered in thick mayonnaise, the taint came through and my stomach is still churning a bit. Asian carp comes from Thailand as does another low-quality smelly fish that the Myanmarians here in the U.S. relish.

My friend cooked some Alaskan whitefish the other evening for some Myanmarians and they did not like it. It was delicate, tender and flavorful. Nothing like this abomination in a can. Bumble Bee needs to fish elsewhere than Thailand. Get your act together and get some tuna boats fishing 600 miles off the Pacific Coast of the United States than reopen your West Coast canneries and you might get some satisfied customers again. I am even afraid to offer this can to my cat, not knowing what atrocities he might ingest. Now I need to go wash my hands repeatedly to get the smell off (hopefully) as well as clean my can opener thoroughly. I really hate when companies move their operations overseas just for the cheap labor. Poor quality is unfortunately a bedfellow when that happens. This can and any others are going in the garbage tomorrow! Code on bottom of can: VRC3X ASCEB 16:10.

Original review: March 7, 2017

Good product, but WATCH FOR BONES! Others have shown their pics, check out mine... HUGE piece of vertebrae bone found in the can. About 1 can in 3 has bones with this brand (most are small, fingernail-like shaving of bones, others are long and pointy). This picture I took last night (threw the can away). I don't know what the issue is, but it's gotten worse and worse over the years, as their tuna actually tastes good and isn't bad otherwise. Too bad.

Original review: March 6, 2017

After being a loyal Starkist fan for practically my entire life I decided to try Bumble Bee Chunk White Tuna in Water and I couldn't have regretted it more! 3 out of the 4 cans I bought were soggy, chunky, gooey slime filled cans! I tried to drain water and goop was oozing out of the sides!!! I couldn't find a normal piece of tuna in there if I tried. Seriously the sickest thing I've ever encountered. It looked TOXIC. I came online to see if anyone else had bad experiences with that brand and apparently there are thousands who have. So nasty! Why is this company still allowed to produce this product! I can't believe people haven't become deathly ill yet.

Bumble Bee Tuna Company Information