3.4/5 (1176 ratings)

About Blue Apron

Blue Apron Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

When I first started using Blue Apron for meal delivery service it was great. Food was always fresh, only a few times we had issue with ingredients but Blue Apron provided us credits for the issues. Delivery was on time and always left on front porch. In the last few months things have gone downhill. The deliveries got later and later close to 9 pm. And now no deliveries are happening yet the tracking system per Lasership states package delivered at front door. Interesting as one of them stated delivery at 8:14 pm.

I was sitting in my family room next to front door and no one dropped anything off at that time at my front door. My camera has no person on my property around that time and my husband was outside and not one car past my house. We live on a road with 20 houses and no outlet past my house. So not sure where my package went as none of my neighbors received it on this road as we would have seen a car on the road go into our neighborhood and out.

I called the shipper 30 min later and they said this happens by accident sometimes it gets marked delivered but it's not. It happened 3 times in the last month for just me so how many "accidents" are happening. Sounds a bit fraudulent to me recognizing deliveries not delivered to customers to recognize the revenue... Blue Apron or Lasership. Then when I complained to Blue Apron they credited me my amount to use on my NEXT purchase. So I get no food and now I have to use my credit for the potential next order instead of getting my money back right away. Customers can't rely on this service anymore and families can't plan dinner for a week when food may or may not show up. Definitely will no longer use their service going forward. Buyer Beware!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I was on my front porch speaking to my neighbor when I received notification my box was delivered. We both looked around perplexed but just assumed it was dropped off at the wrong apartment. We both spent an hour searching for the box and no luck. I call Blue Apron and they told me to wait until 9 pm for it to be delivered. I told her I have the proof of delivery notification and that they allegedly delivered it an hour prior. The Blue Apron rep proceeded to tell me that their third party delivery agent, which was Fed-Ex, will sometimes state it was delivered even if though it wasn't yet and to wait until 9 pm. I asked how could they could provide proof of delivery if they haven't delivered yet? She offered to refund me immediately -- which I took. And I cancelled. I already spent close to an hour trying to track my package down and then calling. No thanks.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

I tried a number of times to receive food from Blue Apron, I even adjusted shipping preferences only to continuously receive a delay notification. Which makes the point of me having the service void if I can’t get the items on time to prepare the meals. This makes an already stressful day even more stressful. Additionally, I don’t have the time to go back and forth with customer service while trying to manage 3 kids.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I was really excited to try Blue Apron and they displayed a good intro deal. After signing up, the first box suggestions were not all my style and there were limited alternatives but we tried them as we were looking for something new. As a parent of three small children, we were looking for something to make after work and dinner easier. The first box arrived and the meat in the meals was really tough. Plus there was this sauce in one of the recipes that smelled putrid and called for ketchup. We ate around it and when we looked at the choices for next week decided to cancel.

I canceled on a Thursday, was told my next box was already in process so I couldn't cancel, the discounted rate was removed, and all tracking options for my account were reduced forcing me to call in rather than get info online. Then the next box I couldn't cancel never came and I was told I had to call in rather be helped online. Upon waiting on hold for customer service, I was told it was delayed by the carrier and it should be ok if it is a day late.

I reiterated my box was scheduled to be delivered today and I did not want to pay for rancid food. No one cared probably because I was canceling my account. I am now waiting to see if the box ever gets delivered. If it is and the contents are inedible I have been told I have to call back in again to try and get my money back. If you want easy, this is not the route for you. Due to this, I will never try this service again nor will I recommend it to others.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

Today, a week from when I was supposed to get my delivery, I received a huge box of rotting food from FEDEX that I can't even bring into my home. I contacted the company and they have refunded my money for this delivery and I also had them cancel the next. So far, I have suspended my services due to the problems with their FEDEX ground shipping carrier. My food sat in a warehouse just outside of my sitting for an entire week.

I would have expected that knowing the state of that delivery, they would have asked FEDEX to cancel and have it shipped back to them. Instead, I received a box of rotting food that I can't even put into our trash can, as it is in the garage. The package smells like a rotten corpse. The company is not bad, but be forewarned that the distribution is a mess. Yes, there are supply chain issues, but that is not new news. The company could have done better to sort their distribution early in anticipation or let customers know. I contacted the company about the package that was left for me today. I am awaiting a response. The food I have is rotten and represents a mockery of sustainability.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

My husband and I have been trying out different meal kit services to see which one we like (So far HelloFresh is beating everyone out). Our try with Blue Apron ended before we even got the first box. First of all, their site is super confusing, on HelloFresh it’s clear that you can swap out different meals for no extra charge or some that are premium do have an extra charge. When I thought I was doing the same thing with Blue Apron, it wanted to charge me an extra $80 just to swap out different meals that were not premium meals. So I just ended up going with whatever they had pre selected, even though I really didn’t like a few of them.

Then when I got the notification that my box was shipping, I noticed that the meals in it were totally different from what was originally in there and were even more meals that I wouldn’t like, including vegetarian options with tofu which I hadn’t selected because I loathe tofu. I figured we could just try them since it was already paid for but I definitely wanted to immediately cancel my account and not try another week with them. First of all, you have to email them to even get the cancellation instructions (every other service just puts it on their account page) and then when I went in to cancel the pages wouldn’t even load! I finally after a few hours got it to load and cancel but it’s clear this company is a complete scam! I will never ever sign up again. I’m hoping my food doesn’t come rotten like most other reviews on here say so I never have to deal with them again!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

I deleted my payment information. I was considering cancelling my account and my memory is too terrible to just keep skipping orders until I made a firm decision. They kept sending me emails to update my payment information so they can send boxes, but I never did. However, they apparently found my credit card history in their system and charged me for a box I never ordered without my authorization. Then they have aggressively denied that even happened despite evidence of my credit card statement and a screenshot of the most recent order history and price, both of which matched each other. Naturally, they refuse to give a refund. After my third email for a resolution, they went silent. Don't do it. This experience alone warrants one star and a warning for everyone else.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

They send an ingredient that was specifically not selected due to allergies and they would not do anything to fix it. I would not recommend this service to anyone. Green Chef is a great and reasonable alternative!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

This company has terrible customer service.. Was ordering from them for a couple years, till my last ordered got delivered a day late. All the meat was warm. Wrote them an email and called several times and never heard back... What a waste of 65 dollars.. I will never order from here again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Beware if you’re trying to use their promo codes. They say they’ll take money off first four boxes, but once you cancel to avoid the fifth box, they charge you full price and refuse to respond to any emails as to why they didn’t use the unused credits. Also 3 out of my 4 boxes had ruined food because the gel freezer inserts leaked so I had to throw out anything that wasn’t in a sealed bag.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Never once have their recipes disappointed. The chefs are so advanced and it's like eating high end restaurant food. They take their time to put these tasteful recipes together and send all the ingredients with easy to follow instructions.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

The food is significantly worse than the other services we have tried. And, when you go to cancel the website loops you away from settings and back to the order page. The customer service phone line answers, puts you on hold, informs you that you will need to wait a long time, and when they finally answer, they hang up. They will not let you cancel. Awful. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I’ve used Blue Apron for about two months. No real problems until yesterday when my box wasn’t delivered; it came today, a day late. Ice was melted. Meat was warm and gross. No response from support.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I canceled my Hello Fresh account so easily when I needed to. Just went to their website and clicked. Blue Apron? It took me three tries to just get the cancellation instructions. You have to actually email them to get cancellations instructions, and then I didn't even hear a word back during the first two attempts. Here's the cancellation instructions for anyone who may need them. I won't be using Blue Apron in the future. 1. Sign into your Blue Apron account, and access your Account Settings here: https://www.blueapron.com/account#settings/account. 2. Head to the ‘Account Info’ section of your Account Settings and click ‘Edit’. 3. In the pop-up window click on the ‘Manage Status’ link, then follow the cancellation instructions. You’ll have the option to cancel Meals Only, Wine Only, or Both Meals & Wine.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I experienced horrible customer service when I had to interact with Blue Apron management. I actually felt belittled by the way their management treated me. I could NOT find ANY WAY to cancel my account online as per the instructions did not lead me to the right place to cancel my membership! Management was nasty to me about resolving my issue and wouldn't! I WILL NEVER EVER EVER GET BLUE APRON AGAIN! THEY ARE SCAMMING PEOPLE!

Original review: May 10, 2021

My husband and I used Blue Apron for a few months, and almost every box we received had an ingredient that was either missing or spoiled. Also, they take forever to respond to your emails when you contact them. We will be going back to using Hello Fresh ASAP.

Original review: April 9, 2021

The meals were decent but not spectacular. Lots of veggies and not too much prep, so I really liked that. I would still be using them if it weren't for the delivery issues. They couldn't deliver on their own schedule. 3 out of the last 4 weeks came a day late. The help lady said on the website today said that the food should be discarded. That isn't what they said earlier. The first box that came late also had breakage. The help lady was very nice and credited me for the meal that was damaged. I didn't expect that.

Two weeks later I get notified that they are going to substitute a sauce so that my meal arrives on time. It didn't arrive until the next day and still had the substitute sauce. (Really sucked to be me that week.) So I email again, and they tell me to have the box delivered a day earlier so that I will have the meal by my delivery date. I am not happy about that. They tell me that they are working on fixing the issue, but can't tell me when it will be fixed and are a bit snarky. Then they tell me to get it delivered 2 days early. More snark in that response, still no answer to when the problem will be fixed. They blame FedEx, but FedEx doesn't seem to be having any problems locally with anyone but Blue Apron. I suspect that they can't get the boxes together in time for the FedEx pick up.

My box didn't come yesterday, either. The email notification on the delay comes at 5:33pm each time there is a delay--so not really enough time to make alternate plans. Today I canceled the service. The rep on the website was very kind--much better than the ones I've been emailing. If I want an extra serving of snark I will go find some angry teenagers. I don't need to pay for that service. Back to the grocery for me!

Original review: March 14, 2021

I decided to try Blue Apron when I saw a good deal. The meals are decent to excellent, easy to follow instructions for a fairly novice cook like myself. You'll want to pay close attention to how frozen the various meats are when you get your box as some meat and fish arrive fully frozen & will need some time to thaw before that meal can be prepared. I like the variety of starches their meals include - sometimes rice, sometimes pasta, sometimes orzo or farro, and I like that rather than have you cook with sugar & vinegar, they'll have you cook with raisins & olives to get those flavors in your food.

Original review: March 14, 2021

Our family was gifted a couple of months worth of weekly Blue Apron meals and wine. The meals were a nice experience (except for the tilapia on all 3 occasions, not fresh). What completely ruined it is that the "gift" turns into an opt-out subscription service with absolutely no notification that the gift amount will run out soon. All of a sudden we saw a couple hundred dollars on our credit card bill from Blue Apron, for a service we never sought out to have. It was a *gift* to us that resulted in hundreds of dollars in just a matter of a few weeks.

Gift subscriptions should be opt-in for continuation of the subscription or, at the very least, the gift recipient should be very clearly notified that their gift credit is about to run out. It's a sleazy move and Blue Apron designed it to be that way. And about the wine, well, since it's alcohol you must be home to sign for it. We were home only once of the three shipments and after 3 attempts, UPS will no longer deliver it to you without paying a fee. Again, another great gift that turned into a headache.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I felt compelled to create an account on ConsumerAffairs to write about my negative experience to warn other customers. When I signed up for my account, I had $100 off over 5 deliveries, an average of $20 off per delivery to $39.94. I canceled my account due to poor ingredients and recipes not tasting good. The next day after cancelling, Blue Apron continued to charge me. They charged me $59.94. I asked, "Why did you charge me after I canceled?" They said it was because I had that week of meals selected for delivery. You know, when you sign up, you select your meals for the next 4-6 weeks ahead of time? So they were basically saying that even though I canceled my account, I had meals selected and scheduled for delivery, so they continued charging!

And what’s even more ridiculous is that, since I canceled my account, I lost the -$20 bonus, so the charge was $59.94 instead of $39.94. When I complained to customer service they shouldn’t have charged me after canceling, they said no refunds or credits can be given. So before you cancel, first PAUSE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES OR DELAY THEM FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL WEEKS, and then cancel. BECAUSE THEY WILL CONTINUE TO CHARGE YOUR ACCOUNT EVEN AFTER YOU CANCEL, as they had done to me.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I have received 3 damaged shipments from this company. One meal arrived with raw chicken leaking and the entire meal had to be thrown out. Each time they refused to refund my money and only give a credit to buy more of their product, which continues to arrive damaged with items that can not be used.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Every single week. EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. There is something wrong with my order. On top of that, EVERY SINGLE WEEK they send me the WRONG MEALS!! I literally hate Blue Apron. When you try to deal with Customer Service, (IF) they respond they are completely worthless and provide absolutely zero solution to any problems. If you see this, this is your warning not to spend money with this company.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

On my path to becoming totally vegetarian, I chose this particular dish because I’m looking for recipes to keep me inspired and this one (plus others) is perfect! South Indian Squash Curry w/Jasmine Rice was fairly easy and quick, but mostly delicious! The spice blend packet was everything I wanted & I even learned how to properly cut up a butternut squash! A dish that inspires me, tastes wonderful, is good for me, and where I learned something new is a win X FOUR! Sincerely cannot wait to try my next vegetarian dish, which will either be Black Bean & Zucchini Enchiladas w/Cheddar Cheese OR Cheesy Focaccia Pizza w/Brussels Sprouts & Caramelized Onion! YUMMM!! SO happy I have this service to get me and keep me on the path to much-improved eating habits!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

When I first tried Blue Apron recipes I loved them very much, but then I noticed that the calories were very high with all the sauces they included in their recipes, so I stopped receiving my weekly orders and moved them to every other week and now I have completely stopped, but do like to order them every now and then. If the calories weren't that high, I would definitely continue ordering.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Delicious and diverse recipes. Dependable. Responsive. Preparation has become even easier over the years. Long time customer. Customer service is responsive. Company interested in your experience. Fresh ingredients.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I really enjoy Blue Apron meal delivery. The reason why is that it takes to guess work out of cooking a delicious meal, and buying everything you need to make it comes ready to start preparing. The portion sizes are fulfilling too. And I love how I get introduced to different flavors I never would have thought to eat before.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

This service helped me a lot. It took away all the guessing and the trouble of getting all the supply. It delivered all and I just have to get it cooking and I really enjoy not having to decide on what to cook.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I can’t say enough about how Blue Apron has improved our lives. My husband can follow simple directions to make meals. The variety of food is great and it has forced us to try so many different grains and spices we never would have discovered on our own. We are very happy with the meals and the quality of the ingredients.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

My home was burned to the ground and my insurance moved me into an apartment... I had limited cooking supplies, spices etc... I found having everything I needed delivered very, very helpful... There are a few recipes I still make even though I am now in a home. I almost always needed to add more veggies and a salad to most meals... Add more veg for health factor!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

1 - Not texting when package arrives, so it sits in my mailroom! 2 - This week, NO package, after they changed the delivery from Saturday to Sunday. 3 - Last week, missing MEATS - I emailed them and after one full week, I got a response, with apology, and refund of $20. (That doesn't help the missing meal!) 4 - Phone app does not give a contact us or other method of getting to them. It only asks for review of the meals....

Blue Apron Company Information