2. Shopping
  3. Meal Delivery Service

3.0/5 (579 ratings)

About Blue Apron

Blue Apron Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

The food is significantly worse than the other services we have tried. And, when you go to cancel the website loops you away from settings and back to the order page. The customer service phone line answers, puts you on hold, informs you that you will need to wait a long time, and when they finally answer, they hang up. They will not let you cancel. Awful. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I’ve used Blue Apron for about two months. No real problems until yesterday when my box wasn’t delivered; it came today, a day late. Ice was melted. Meat was warm and gross. No response from support.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I canceled my Hello Fresh account so easily when I needed to. Just went to their website and clicked. Blue Apron? It took me three tries to just get the cancellation instructions. You have to actually email them to get cancellations instructions, and then I didn't even hear a word back during the first two attempts. Here's the cancellation instructions for anyone who may need them. I won't be using Blue Apron in the future. 1. Sign into your Blue Apron account, and access your Account Settings here: https://www.blueapron.com/account#settings/account. 2. Head to the ‘Account Info’ section of your Account Settings and click ‘Edit’. 3. In the pop-up window click on the ‘Manage Status’ link, then follow the cancellation instructions. You’ll have the option to cancel Meals Only, Wine Only, or Both Meals & Wine.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I experienced horrible customer service when I had to interact with Blue Apron management. I actually felt belittled by the way their management treated me. I could NOT find ANY WAY to cancel my account online as per the instructions did not lead me to the right place to cancel my membership! Management was nasty to me about resolving my issue and wouldn't! I WILL NEVER EVER EVER GET BLUE APRON AGAIN! THEY ARE SCAMMING PEOPLE!

Original review: May 10, 2021

My husband and I used Blue Apron for a few months, and almost every box we received had an ingredient that was either missing or spoiled. Also, they take forever to respond to your emails when you contact them. We will be going back to using Hello Fresh ASAP.

Original review: April 9, 2021

The meals were decent but not spectacular. Lots of veggies and not too much prep, so I really liked that. I would still be using them if it weren't for the delivery issues. They couldn't deliver on their own schedule. 3 out of the last 4 weeks came a day late. The help lady said on the website today said that the food should be discarded. That isn't what they said earlier. The first box that came late also had breakage. The help lady was very nice and credited me for the meal that was damaged. I didn't expect that.

Two weeks later I get notified that they are going to substitute a sauce so that my meal arrives on time. It didn't arrive until the next day and still had the substitute sauce. (Really sucked to be me that week.) So I email again, and they tell me to have the box delivered a day earlier so that I will have the meal by my delivery date. I am not happy about that. They tell me that they are working on fixing the issue, but can't tell me when it will be fixed and are a bit snarky. Then they tell me to get it delivered 2 days early. More snark in that response, still no answer to when the problem will be fixed. They blame FedEx, but FedEx doesn't seem to be having any problems locally with anyone but Blue Apron. I suspect that they can't get the boxes together in time for the FedEx pick up.

My box didn't come yesterday, either. The email notification on the delay comes at 5:33pm each time there is a delay--so not really enough time to make alternate plans. Today I canceled the service. The rep on the website was very kind--much better than the ones I've been emailing. If I want an extra serving of snark I will go find some angry teenagers. I don't need to pay for that service. Back to the grocery for me!

Original review: March 14, 2021

I decided to try Blue Apron when I saw a good deal. The meals are decent to excellent, easy to follow instructions for a fairly novice cook like myself. You'll want to pay close attention to how frozen the various meats are when you get your box as some meat and fish arrive fully frozen & will need some time to thaw before that meal can be prepared. I like the variety of starches their meals include - sometimes rice, sometimes pasta, sometimes orzo or farro, and I like that rather than have you cook with sugar & vinegar, they'll have you cook with raisins & olives to get those flavors in your food.

Original review: March 14, 2021

Our family was gifted a couple of months worth of weekly Blue Apron meals and wine. The meals were a nice experience (except for the tilapia on all 3 occasions, not fresh). What completely ruined it is that the "gift" turns into an opt-out subscription service with absolutely no notification that the gift amount will run out soon. All of a sudden we saw a couple hundred dollars on our credit card bill from Blue Apron, for a service we never sought out to have. It was a *gift* to us that resulted in hundreds of dollars in just a matter of a few weeks.

Gift subscriptions should be opt-in for continuation of the subscription or, at the very least, the gift recipient should be very clearly notified that their gift credit is about to run out. It's a sleazy move and Blue Apron designed it to be that way. And about the wine, well, since it's alcohol you must be home to sign for it. We were home only once of the three shipments and after 3 attempts, UPS will no longer deliver it to you without paying a fee. Again, another great gift that turned into a headache.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I felt compelled to create an account on ConsumerAffairs to write about my negative experience to warn other customers. When I signed up for my account, I had $100 off over 5 deliveries, an average of $20 off per delivery to $39.94. I canceled my account due to poor ingredients and recipes not tasting good. The next day after cancelling, Blue Apron continued to charge me. They charged me $59.94. I asked, "Why did you charge me after I canceled?" They said it was because I had that week of meals selected for delivery. You know, when you sign up, you select your meals for the next 4-6 weeks ahead of time? So they were basically saying that even though I canceled my account, I had meals selected and scheduled for delivery, so they continued charging!

And what’s even more ridiculous is that, since I canceled my account, I lost the -$20 bonus, so the charge was $59.94 instead of $39.94. When I complained to customer service they shouldn’t have charged me after canceling, they said no refunds or credits can be given. So before you cancel, first PAUSE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES OR DELAY THEM FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL WEEKS, and then cancel. BECAUSE THEY WILL CONTINUE TO CHARGE YOUR ACCOUNT EVEN AFTER YOU CANCEL, as they had done to me.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I have received 3 damaged shipments from this company. One meal arrived with raw chicken leaking and the entire meal had to be thrown out. Each time they refused to refund my money and only give a credit to buy more of their product, which continues to arrive damaged with items that can not be used.

Blue Apron Company Information