2.23/5
Based on 147 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 9, 2018

147 Blue Apron Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 9, 2018

I thought I would try it and like the first box sent. However, because of my work schedule, I found I did not have time to cook. I have been trying to cancel my membership since February. They send me the email, I check to cancel, I get the email that says my membership has been cancelled. And then a month later I get another box...I have just been charged for another box. This is a ridiculous waste of time & money!

Updated on 04/10/2018: After canceling my membership in February and again in March, as my previous complaint stated they billed me again in April... However, I had lost my card and rec'd a new one 03/29. I expected the charge to be declined as the card # on my Blue Apron membership was not the same as my new card. I contacted Bank of America about the April charge and was told that Blue Apron can obtained the new card #'s from VISA. I was NOT contacted by Blue Apron nor by Visa to verify a new #... I have filed a claim with Bank of America and have put a non-payment to Blue Apron for any future charges. BEWARE!!! This is totally unethical on the part of both Blue Apron and Visa. At the very least I should have been contacted. I am going to cancel my VISA cards and change over to MasterCard. What an inconvenience.

Original review: April 8, 2018

My experience with Blue Apron has been absolutely dreadful. I have used several subscription meal boxes in the past and was ready for a change that was more health-focused. I decided to try Blue Apron after seeing advertisements (which were not accurate) for Whole30 approved meals. I signed up and quickly found out that there were very few options that met my requirements. So before that first set of meals shipped, I decided to cancel and go with a different company. Cancelling through their website is almost impossible. They make you send an email to them and then you receive a link where you can cancel from a computer. So I put my iPad down, dug my laptop out of a drawer, and followed the instructions and thought I was in the clear.

However, yesterday I realized that I had been charged by them for another basket that I don’t want. I’m unable to change the meals they selected and I’m stuck getting food that I do not want and won’t use since I’m now using a company I’m MUCH happier about. And of course, their customer service line is only open from 10am-6pm ET Monday-Friday. Quite frankly, I’m appalled by the way Blue Apron handles their business practices and I will NEVER purposely buy anything from them again.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2018

We have used Hello Fresh for a few months, and decided to try Blue Apron as it seemed to have more options. The first meal was rather simple to make, very few ingredients and smelled amazing. The taste was rather bland, the second meal, the produce had already gone bad. It tasted bland and left a very over processed taste in your mouth. The third meal was over salty, I had to use all my own produce again, because theirs had rotted.

We received this on Saturday, and the produce was bad by Sunday... my husband and I understand things can happen, so we were discussing meal too if we were going to use it again. We were supposed to have until Monday to decide. However, by Sunday we were already charged. The only positive thing I feel is that the meals are simple.

However, the packaging is not as organized, the food cannot be very fresh if it is rotting two days after getting it, and the tastes are not very good, you also need to be careful on them charging you, which has never been a concern with HelloFresh. Once we successfully get it canceled we will no longer be using this service, I saved more money and made better food on my own, it removes all convenience.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I ordered two weeks of this and two weeks of HelloFresh. By far Blue Apron was disgusting. I couldn’t wait to get my food. When I tasted it my whole family of 4 was disappointed. Everyone complained. I then ordered more weeks of HF. I tried to cancel by email twice with no luck, two days ill. Call you later. I received an email to cancel on my desktop. Luckily I have a desktop. If you need a discount from HelloFresh you can use mine. $40 off. You’ll love it. Can’t cook anything wrong and it’s tasty. Really tasty. I look forward to cooking each day. I use it for 6 meals a week. I’ve not tried the classic plan and I’m waiting on it. But so far the family plan is awesome. Oh the pro- my order arrived a day early and they take Apple Pay.

Original review: March 22, 2018

They charged my card after I cancelled my account. When I called to request a refund they refused and said they will ship an order (I didn't place that order, I do not want whatever it is they are sending) in 5 days. Absolutely ridiculous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: March 21, 2018

I've been with Blue Apron for about 2 years now. I keep all of the recipe sheets and have gone back to create a couple of them myself. I get it 2 days out the week. It keeps me from going to the grocery store which I hate and it helps me come up with new ideas on dinner. I've recommended Blue Apron to a few people. The only issue I have are the portions. I chose the option for a household of 4. I have a household of 3 and there are hardly ever any leftovers and sometimes barely enough to feed 2 adult males and 1 female adult. Other than that, I love it.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Would anyone walk into a restaurant and pay money before seeing the menu or what the food looked like!? So why does Blue Apron ask you to pay before seeing the food selections? Doesn’t make me feel comfortable, sorry - no!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have canceled my account by email and also by phone call, leaving a voicemail message one month in advance rather to receive a delivery but it seems the only goal of Blue Apron is charge money to your credit card. This is ashamed and honestly recipes don't make me really happy comparing with the cost of the package offered. I am glad competition exist, they didn't put money back in my account but I will make sure my friends will be away from this disorganization.

Original review: March 18, 2018

We are over 50 kits now. We use the 3 meal kits. There has only been two "mis picks" on meals. This ratio is very low for deliveries. The food is excellent. We have saved all the cards, about 150 and sometimes go back and order these meals again. I would guess we have loved about 90 percent of the meals and liked the rest. There is not a membership cost, I have no idea what these people are talking about. Take a look at the website. No fees, quit anytime. Seriously would recommend this to anyone. The new Whole 30 meals rock.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I have been a BA customer for 3 years give or take and cannot understand the negative reviews. I rely so much now on BA that I would not know what to do if they weren't around. Before getting BA think to yourself, "do I have time to cook 3 nights a week? Am I okay with prepping the food? Do I want to cook more and learn more about cooking?" If it's yes, I say give it a try. Reading other reviews makes me just believe that people don't know how to handle expectations, aren't honest with themselves about what they have time for and want to do, don't do the research, and don't read the fine print; all of which are personal errors and not BA's fault. And if it has been BA's fault, they have a great customer service team.

I started BA as a college student on a limited income after I had been doing delivery/eating out all summer (hello expensive), and when I did buy groceries, finding recipes and shopping exhausted me, my meals were uninteresting (I'm not a good enough cook to just think of something to put together), and it would go bad half the time since I wasn't cooking. I was wasting my money, food, and time so I wanted to do a different approach as I'm okay with cooking and cutting up my food to get to the final product.

When I started, it was just me so I would have leftovers for lunch the next day and possibly some leftovers for a snack/light dinner. Then it was me and my boyfriend and there would be plenty of food. Now it's myself, my boyfriend, and my brother - small, perfect portions of food. The recipes are easy to follow and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to be able to share the cooking load with my boyfriend and brother. You can now choose any of the 6 recipe options (prior they would gray out some of the meals). We are meat eaters however, we have done the vegetarian option so we could learning all the different things you can do with vegetables and such. They are also doing random things like doing meals that follow The Whole 30 diet. There are Top-Chef recipes. There are 30 min or less recipes.

We eat out maybe once or twice a week and we have these amazing home cooked meals that taste amazing. Yes, they put all the items loose in the box (except the smaller, "knick-knacks", which go in a small lunch bag), and it is not at all difficult to figure out what is what as everything is labeled. I go through and separate everything and if, for some off chance, we are missing an ingredient, we let BA know and they are always quick to assist and remedy the situation. I like to put all the ingredients in one of my veggie/fruit bins and organize them near each other so they are quick to find.

I love the fact that not only do I not have to think too hard about what I am eating for dinner and what I need for dinner (I have 3 choices and I have all the ingredients), but also that if I don't choose a meal they just send me 3 meals according to my default food choice (vegetarian). It's great because most of the recipes that I would not have normally selected were amazing and the ones that I do select, usually aren't as amazing (broadening my taste buds). I recycle all that I can while I'm cooking and the plastic bags I am able to take to a location that recycles those.

We did HelloFresh! for ~3 weeks to see how we liked their product in comparison and were not nearly as impressed. For the same price as BA, I felt like the meats/sauces/etc were "eh" and the meals were just not as stand-out. Out of the 9 HF meals, we only really liked 2 of them; with BA we have liked the majority of what we get and the ones that aren't amazing, are still pretty darn delicious. Only improvements I would like are the recipes being clearer about what recipes are low-carb/high protein/low fat/etc. I will be trying out some more of the different food-kit delivery services so I can a broader idea of what's out there and maybe mix it up a little bit, but as of right now, BA has been a complete game-changer for me and my household and we are sticking to it.

Original review: March 8, 2018

It is 8:25pm and I am still waiting on my delivery!?? After calling the delivery service, LaserShip, I was told it could come as late as 9:30pm. WHO COMES TO SOMEONE'S HOME AT 9:30PM? When I called Blue Apron, no one was there. They leave at 6:00pm. After I left a voicemail, I received an email stating they received my voicemail and Blue Apron has my delivery between 8am and 9pm. If I want to cancel, here's the link!! They don't care that someone will call or knock on my door so late at night. What if we all went to bed and the food sat on the porch all night? THEY DON'T CARE!!! I wouldn't waste my time, the recipes aren't that great anyway. They take too long to prepare and don't offer a great selection of American dishes. Not worth the money! Eat out!

Original review: March 6, 2018

I had "skipped" meals for as long as I could on their site - 5 weeks. Somehow the 5 weeks flew by and I had no idea I was going to be sent another box without my permission after this 5 weeks. I think that they should be required to send a warning email to let you know you're about to receive a box (and of course $47.00 charge to your credit card) after you haven't been active with them for a period of time and give you the option to decline the box. I am out of town a lot, and will be for this delivery and am quite concerned that they are "tricking" people with this.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We were gifted 4 weeks of 2 meals a week. First week was OK (just OK). Second week not as good as the first. Third week confirmed that I would NEVER pay for this. BOTH recipes had issues. The Cajun Cod recipe they had substituted Tilapia (a cheap nasty bottom feeding freshwater fish that I wouldn't serve to my dog) in place of the Cod (a wild caught cold saltwater fish). I had to use my own Cod to prepare the meal. The chicken meal was supposed to have zucchini but there was none in the box (had to use some squash I had on hand). NONE of the recipes are easy to prepare, if you are not an experienced cook you are in trouble.

Whoever wrote the recipes isn't too sharp either. They repeatedly have you fry thing at high temperature in olive oil, which breaks down at high temperature. Experienced chefs know better and use grapeseed or similar oils for high temperature cooking. If you added salt in as many steps as is called for you would be way too salty as well. You may also expect more ingredients to be organic in what is supposed to be high end gourmet, but no luck there either. Overall, extremely disappointing. Week 3 recipes were: Baked Cajun Cod with Braised Cabbage and Lemon-Garlic potatoes. Harissa-Glazed Chicken Drumsticks With potato wedges and zucchini.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

We have been getting Blue Apron for the last few years almost religiously. Going through the pains of them figuring out better packing, some substandard recipes and shipment cooling measures we still remained loyal customers. Our largest complaint was with LaserShip and their inconsistent delivery. Several months ago Blue Apron assured we would be getting strictly FedEx for our continued shipments. This lasted for one delivery and it was back to LaserShip but it seemed they were getting a bit better. Today was the last of the honeymoon. Our shipment arrived relatively early but the driver proceeded to leave the delivery 20 feet away from the door and directly in the sunlight. Two cars in the driveway and no doorbell ring. We heard them drive off and immediately went to retrieve the sun tanning box baking in the morning Florida sun. The entire contents were warm and ice packing was completely melted.

Blue Apron was contacted and I demanded a refund for the shipment and a cancellation or our account. The rep accommodated us and apologized but remained extremely happy and polite with little to no regret on losing a customer. I never checked the reviews for Blue Apron because we were pretty happy but look before you join. It seems they've gotten larger than they can accommodate quality with a large enough following that they remain chipper at the thought of losing membership.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I use all meal delivery services because I like the variety. I hate that Blue Apron is an opt-in service, rather than opt-out. But, it is their business, so I make peace. However, they only send reminder emails if you have skipped that week to entice you, but rare or sparse or none reminder emails. I got a box when I was on vacation due to my own fault. However, the customer service team was unwilling to change the situation 6 days in advance of the timed delivery. They just recommend to have a neighbor try it out- 6 days in advance and you are willing to let food rot on a doorstep, rather than donate it (if they've already placed the order to their supplier I'm guessing)?

FINAL STRAW: they don't have a cancel account option on the website, so I called them to cancel. Now, weeks after I get an email that a box is being delivered tomorrow, wtf? Tried contacting customer service to beg for store credit, even though it's their fault. Clearly. I canceled cause I didn't hear anything for weeks, and I cancelled after the wasteful holiday box debacle. No Fs given by the team. Plated and HelloFresh are more responsive, and look to resolve issues.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

We were faithful HelloFresh users and wanted to give Blue Apron a try. We only gave Blue Apron two weeks. The first box we received was missing a can of kidney beans and the broccoli had black spots on it. The second box we received had moldy carrots and cabbage. I contact Blue Apron. Was given a credit of $25.84. However, because we cancelled our subscription we lost that credit EVEN THOUGH it was for what we had already purchased. The food is just thrown in a box.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My wife and young adult kids have thoroughly enjoyed Blue Apron for the past 2 years. It has revolutionized our dinners. The meals are nearly always interesting and delicious. We eat much healthier than we used to and have been introduced to things like baby bok choy, novel herbs and spices, and creative ideas in food design. Its been such a life enhancer by taking out the grind of daily meal planning and decreasing grocery shopping. More than anything, the experience has been fun. Our whole family frequently participates. The step by step directions are easy to follow.

Blue Apron compares favorably to other meal delivery services. We have and still continue to use Home Chef. We've used but have dropped HelloFresh. Blue Apron's meals generally tend to be more interesting, even sometimes a little exotic. Their food is always fresh. Produce is usually undamaged, and we really appreciate the antibiotic-free beef. The meals do tend to take a tad longer to prepare. HelloFresh was alright. Meals were simple and the quickest to prepare. Nothing terribly interesting. Good choice for families with young kids. We've used Home Chef for a few weeks now. It's good, too. Ingredients are fresh and well packaged. Cook and prep times are probably a little shorter than Blue Apron. Some of their meals have been delicious. Blue Apron is still probably our favorite.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I've lost a ton of weight eating Blue Apron. The food tastes like crap so I dont eat it. My wife likes it but my kids and I are not happy. Just had a Mexican casserole that had broccoli in it! I like broccoli but what idiot said, "Hey let’s put broccoli in a Mexican dish." Does broccoli even grow in Mexico?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Blue Apron was a Christmas gift and we were excited to learn more about it. The first delivery was promised for Jan. 5, 2018 but that was the weekend of a terrible snowstorm...so it was not delivered on the date promised. Actually, it was not delivered until 5 days later...even though our neighborhood was easily navigable within 2 days. Blue Apron Customer service was snotty and less than helpful...but did agree to add an extra meal onto our account. We found the preparation very time-consuming. So much so we could not imagine working couples would want to come home to such an ordeal. Finally, they cut off our access to our account so we were unable to determine if the gift amount, and the promised reimbursement was in our account. It seems they had no intention of keeping their agreement. We would not use them again.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

ALL of these services require you to sign up, even if using a gift card option. You can cancel a future delivery a week before it is set to ship. Meaning you’d have to cancel your second week before really trying the company out, and would have to cancel before your first box is even delivered. It’s the number 1 complaint on all of these companies, they weren’t able to cancel in time, so don’t sign up thinking you will cancel and get to eat for free for a week. Beware of all of the “hopeful scammer’s” reviews claiming they were scammed into paying for one week. Just don’t bother signing up if you can’t afford it or don’t want to really try out a food delivery service for 2 deliveries.

That being said, I have been with Blue Apron for over a year. Environmentalists have said the box comes with a lot of packaging, which is true. You CAN arrange for free recycling, though I haven’t done that. Everything comes mixed together, so I bought 3 plastic containers and separate the ingredients by recipe while unpacking. I get the Saturday deliveries (the other companies don’t offer that!) as I eat out Fri & Sat, so usually cook these on Sun, Mon & Tues. However, I have cooked on Wed. and even Thurs, and the ingredients were still fresh. Once my delivery came on a Monday because of a storm, and I was able to get a full credit, without any hassle, because I was unsure if the ingredients would be safe as the ice pack was no longer cold.

Once I was missing a spice. A few times the fresh spices had come out of their little plastic boxes but were still fresh and washable. I do wish they would send grated cheese instead of asking that you grate it yourself. I guess the idea is that it seems fresher if you grate it yourself. Now on to the recipes. Amazing. I am a good cook, but crave variety so did not like the drudgery of searching for new recipes all of the time. These recipes have us eating new food items all of the time, and the flavors are fantastic. I have my husband eating, and liking, all kinds of foods he didn’t enjoy before (salmon, kale, sweet potatoes, bok choy, etc.) The recipe instructions are easy, though I often haven’t finished one step before I’m supposed to go to the next. But I just take my time before jumping to the next step, and the food still comes out great.

As far as quantity goes, my husband is almost 6’6” and I am almost 5’7”, both a tad over average weight, and we always had leftovers. My daughter moved back home for school, so I improvise by adding a little more to the recipe of the protein, or a potato or another tortilla - whatever, depending upon each recipe, and the 3 of us eat nicely. Two people can definitely eat soundly! Note that you will need your own olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

The company has a decent service, but their subscription runs like a scam. They make it very difficult to cancel your account and only let you skip a few meals at a time. If you don't select the food you want, they just assume you'll be fine with whatever they send you. The food itself wasn't bad, but the constant hassle of their scam subscription service ruined any good things I could possibly say about them.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I ordered Blue Apron and not only did they deliver a sloppy packaged product, everything was melted and not useable. In addition, they delivered at least 8 hours outside of the promised delivery window. It had to be at least midnight or close to it when the package was delivered. Very unorganized. I looked in the package and some of the produced looked old (not fresh), and I was not impressed. The instructions were also wet and most of the food was not even cold. They asked me if I wanted the items replaced. I clearly stated no. In addition, I don't really care for the fact that they pick the menu items for me. What they call vegetarian is clearly not, in my opinion. I can go to the grocery store and get items myself and make dishes. This experience has caused me to be leery to try other companies that offer similar services. When you know better, you do better. And I know better than to order Blue Apron.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Agree with reviewers who said directions about subscription service is VERY weak. We received a gift card for Christmas and they immediately charged my card for the meals arriving the following week, that they don't explain clearly on their site. Their website doesn't allow you to cancel your subscription and you can only cancel by calling them (they are only open for a few hours, four days a week). Awful customer service when I tried to call and cancel - terrible terms and has a big scammy feeling. Not only that, but the food is NOT worth the money you pay.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I was the biggest skeptic around when my wife said she was going to try this meal delivery service, but after 6 meals now... I have been really surprised after every meal. We prepared it together, I chop and mix, she does all the rest. We are cooking things and tasting foods, spices, and flavors we otherwise would never try. It's not cheap, about $25 dollars for a very filling meal for two, and usually a little leftovers, but we like it so far. Very tasty, and it always looks like the photo on the recipe card. Pleasantly surprised every time thus far.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

For something so highly touted, I found it disappointing. I set up and ordered for NEXT week, it arrived THIS week, so I wasn't ready to use the meals since I was not going to be home most days. But I adapted to their new schedule (or lack thereof). The meals are just "parts in a box", meaning I was expecting to get things pre-cut/sliced/diced/grated etc., but no. Instead, I got some raw veggies and meat, with a few little cups of things like mayo and mustard. I had to cut the veggies, grate carrots, dice cabbage, line pans with foil etc. etc. etc. Sure, it's not difficult, but what did I pay roughly 5x the price for, compared to stopping at a grocery store on the way home? Honestly, if I am THAT incapable, just shoot me now...

Also, they ship it in a giant cooler bag that is not something that you can re-use, because to open it you have to cut it. Inside were MORE plastic bags, and another plastic cooler bag of ice. Yes, it all arrived without spoiling, so for that I'm grateful, but the sense of guilt I felt over the roughly 2 lbs of plastic waste associated with less than 1 lb of food stuffs also made my experience less than ideal. I got this as a gift, I will not be extending my experience once I use up the gift card value.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Two years ago I would give this company 5 stars. After enjoying delicious varied meals it seems quality took a turn for the worse during the summer last year. Mostly my complaints have been quality of fresh ingredients to missing ingredients. The last two weeks pushed me over the edge with box arriving two days late, to not getting box at all last week to missing a key ingredient this week. It pains me to write this review because we're such loyal customers.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

The lady I spoke to on the phone was so sweet and helpful! I wish I remembered her name, I believe it started with an N. I appreciate all of Blue Apron's customer service and wish them the best of luck in their business!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Received approximately a dozen deliveries, three were missing ingredients. Recipes were average and the quality of ingredients was questionable. I do not recommend this company. There are many other vendors in this space that do a much better job with quality control and have better food.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

So far I have received over 100 meals from Blue Apron. I am totally satisfied with the meals that are sent. I was unhappy when they cut back to 3 meals a week but just as happy with the service. A couple of times I was missing an ingredient but with a call to Blue Apron it was all settled to my satisfaction. A credit was given and the BA operator was very understanding. I meet many people in my circle of acquaintances who are BA subscribers. I have recommended free weeks to friends. Three out of 4 are still receiving their weekly meals. I am bombarded with other similar food services but have not intention of changing from Blue Apron.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I just relocated from NYC to rural Maine and have a visual disability that prevents me from driving. I started ordering Blue Apron meals to get me through the winter months when it's too cold and icy to walk 2 miles to the store. Well Blue Apron billed my credit card for $59 on 12/24 but notified me on 2/30 (one day after the delivery was due) that the order is cancelled in its entirety leaving me on a holiday weekend — when everything is closed or not accessible due to weather conditions — with no food. Moreover this is after Christmas and everyone is broke and that was my only money until payday. Fed Ex is claiming Blue Apron put my order in a container to Chicago instead of Maine and that they could have upped the priority when they realized their error but choose not to. Also why a refund in 5 to 7 business days when this is food people rely on to live.

The sequence of events went as follows: Dec 24 Blue Apron billed my cc for $59.96. Dec 28 12 PM BA order is picked up at NJ location destined for Maine. Dec 28 3:57 PM BA order is scanned in Chicago Illinois. Dec 28 3:59 BA sends email w/ tracking number and tells me delivery will be there next day. Dec 29 BA sends email advising of a delay and promises delivery by next day. Dec 30 BA sends email cancelling order in its entirety. FedEx claims that BA put my order on the wrong truck and could have rectified their mistake by changing the priority on the delivery which they did not do. What does that say about the executives at Blue Apron?

Blue Apron is out partying with the money of senior citizens and the disabled who they left: Dec 24 Blue Apron billed my cc for $59.96. Dec 28 12 PM BA order is picked up at NJ location destined for Maine. Dec 28 3:57 PM BA order is scanned in Chicago Illinois. Dec 28 3:59 BA sends email w/ tracking number and tells me delivery will be there next day. Dec 29 BA sends email advising of a delay and promises delivery by next day. Dec 30 BA sends email cancelling order in its entirety.

Blue Apron expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.

• Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.

• Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.

• Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.

• Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.

• Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, those interested in expanding their cooking skills and wine lovers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs