2.27/5
Based on 131 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Blue Apron

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 17, 2018

131 Blue Apron Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My wife and young adult kids have thoroughly enjoyed Blue Apron for the past 2 years. It has revolutionized our dinners. The meals are nearly always interesting and delicious. We eat much healthier than we used to and have been introduced to things like baby bok choy, novel herbs and spices, and creative ideas in food design. Its been such a life enhancer by taking out the grind of daily meal planning and decreasing grocery shopping. More than anything, the experience has been fun. Our whole family frequently participates. The step by step directions are easy to follow.

Blue Apron compares favorably to other meal delivery services. We have and still continue to use Home Chef. We've used but have dropped HelloFresh. Blue Apron's meals generally tend to be more interesting, even sometimes a little exotic. Their food is always fresh. Produce is usually undamaged, and we really appreciate the antibiotic-free beef. The meals do tend to take a tad longer to prepare. HelloFresh was alright. Meals were simple and the quickest to prepare. Nothing terribly interesting. Good choice for families with young kids. We've used Home Chef for a few weeks now. It's good, too. Ingredients are fresh and well packaged. Cook and prep times are probably a little shorter than Blue Apron. Some of their meals have been delicious. Blue Apron is still probably our favorite.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I've lost a ton of weight eating Blue Apron. The food tastes like crap so I dont eat it. My wife likes it but my kids and I are not happy. Just had a Mexican casserole that had broccoli in it! I like broccoli but what idiot said, "Hey let’s put broccoli in a Mexican dish." Does broccoli even grow in Mexico?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Blue Apron was a Christmas gift and we were excited to learn more about it. The first delivery was promised for Jan. 5, 2018 but that was the weekend of a terrible snowstorm...so it was not delivered on the date promised. Actually, it was not delivered until 5 days later...even though our neighborhood was easily navigable within 2 days. Blue Apron Customer service was snotty and less than helpful...but did agree to add an extra meal onto our account. We found the preparation very time-consuming. So much so we could not imagine working couples would want to come home to such an ordeal. Finally, they cut off our access to our account so we were unable to determine if the gift amount, and the promised reimbursement was in our account. It seems they had no intention of keeping their agreement. We would not use them again.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

ALL of these services require you to sign up, even if using a gift card option. You can cancel a future delivery a week before it is set to ship. Meaning you’d have to cancel your second week before really trying the company out, and would have to cancel before your first box is even delivered. It’s the number 1 complaint on all of these companies, they weren’t able to cancel in time, so don’t sign up thinking you will cancel and get to eat for free for a week. Beware of all of the “hopeful scammer’s” reviews claiming they were scammed into paying for one week. Just don’t bother signing up if you can’t afford it or don’t want to really try out a food delivery service for 2 deliveries.

That being said, I have been with Blue Apron for over a year. Environmentalists have said the box comes with a lot of packaging, which is true. You CAN arrange for free recycling, though I haven’t done that. Everything comes mixed together, so I bought 3 plastic containers and separate the ingredients by recipe while unpacking. I get the Saturday deliveries (the other companies don’t offer that!) as I eat out Fri & Sat, so usually cook these on Sun, Mon & Tues. However, I have cooked on Wed. and even Thurs, and the ingredients were still fresh. Once my delivery came on a Monday because of a storm, and I was able to get a full credit, without any hassle, because I was unsure if the ingredients would be safe as the ice pack was no longer cold.

Once I was missing a spice. A few times the fresh spices had come out of their little plastic boxes but were still fresh and washable. I do wish they would send grated cheese instead of asking that you grate it yourself. I guess the idea is that it seems fresher if you grate it yourself. Now on to the recipes. Amazing. I am a good cook, but crave variety so did not like the drudgery of searching for new recipes all of the time. These recipes have us eating new food items all of the time, and the flavors are fantastic. I have my husband eating, and liking, all kinds of foods he didn’t enjoy before (salmon, kale, sweet potatoes, bok choy, etc.) The recipe instructions are easy, though I often haven’t finished one step before I’m supposed to go to the next. But I just take my time before jumping to the next step, and the food still comes out great.

As far as quantity goes, my husband is almost 6’6” and I am almost 5’7”, both a tad over average weight, and we always had leftovers. My daughter moved back home for school, so I improvise by adding a little more to the recipe of the protein, or a potato or another tortilla - whatever, depending upon each recipe, and the 3 of us eat nicely. Two people can definitely eat soundly! Note that you will need your own olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

The company has a decent service, but their subscription runs like a scam. They make it very difficult to cancel your account and only let you skip a few meals at a time. If you don't select the food you want, they just assume you'll be fine with whatever they send you. The food itself wasn't bad, but the constant hassle of their scam subscription service ruined any good things I could possibly say about them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I ordered Blue Apron and not only did they deliver a sloppy packaged product, everything was melted and not useable. In addition, they delivered at least 8 hours outside of the promised delivery window. It had to be at least midnight or close to it when the package was delivered. Very unorganized. I looked in the package and some of the produced looked old (not fresh), and I was not impressed. The instructions were also wet and most of the food was not even cold. They asked me if I wanted the items replaced. I clearly stated no. In addition, I don't really care for the fact that they pick the menu items for me. What they call vegetarian is clearly not, in my opinion. I can go to the grocery store and get items myself and make dishes. This experience has caused me to be leery to try other companies that offer similar services. When you know better, you do better. And I know better than to order Blue Apron.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Agree with reviewers who said directions about subscription service is VERY weak. We received a gift card for Christmas and they immediately charged my card for the meals arriving the following week, that they don't explain clearly on their site. Their website doesn't allow you to cancel your subscription and you can only cancel by calling them (they are only open for a few hours, four days a week). Awful customer service when I tried to call and cancel - terrible terms and has a big scammy feeling. Not only that, but the food is NOT worth the money you pay.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I was the biggest skeptic around when my wife said she was going to try this meal delivery service, but after 6 meals now... I have been really surprised after every meal. We prepared it together, I chop and mix, she does all the rest. We are cooking things and tasting foods, spices, and flavors we otherwise would never try. It's not cheap, about $25 dollars for a very filling meal for two, and usually a little leftovers, but we like it so far. Very tasty, and it always looks like the photo on the recipe card. Pleasantly surprised every time thus far.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

For something so highly touted, I found it disappointing. I set up and ordered for NEXT week, it arrived THIS week, so I wasn't ready to use the meals since I was not going to be home most days. But I adapted to their new schedule (or lack thereof). The meals are just "parts in a box", meaning I was expecting to get things pre-cut/sliced/diced/grated etc., but no. Instead, I got some raw veggies and meat, with a few little cups of things like mayo and mustard. I had to cut the veggies, grate carrots, dice cabbage, line pans with foil etc. etc. etc. Sure, it's not difficult, but what did I pay roughly 5x the price for, compared to stopping at a grocery store on the way home? Honestly, if I am THAT incapable, just shoot me now...

Also, they ship it in a giant cooler bag that is not something that you can re-use, because to open it you have to cut it. Inside were MORE plastic bags, and another plastic cooler bag of ice. Yes, it all arrived without spoiling, so for that I'm grateful, but the sense of guilt I felt over the roughly 2 lbs of plastic waste associated with less than 1 lb of food stuffs also made my experience less than ideal. I got this as a gift, I will not be extending my experience once I use up the gift card value.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Two years ago I would give this company 5 stars. After enjoying delicious varied meals it seems quality took a turn for the worse during the summer last year. Mostly my complaints have been quality of fresh ingredients to missing ingredients. The last two weeks pushed me over the edge with box arriving two days late, to not getting box at all last week to missing a key ingredient this week. It pains me to write this review because we're such loyal customers.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

The lady I spoke to on the phone was so sweet and helpful! I wish I remembered her name, I believe it started with an N. I appreciate all of Blue Apron's customer service and wish them the best of luck in their business!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Received approximately a dozen deliveries, three were missing ingredients. Recipes were average and the quality of ingredients was questionable. I do not recommend this company. There are many other vendors in this space that do a much better job with quality control and have better food.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

So far I have received over 100 meals from Blue Apron. I am totally satisfied with the meals that are sent. I was unhappy when they cut back to 3 meals a week but just as happy with the service. A couple of times I was missing an ingredient but with a call to Blue Apron it was all settled to my satisfaction. A credit was given and the BA operator was very understanding. I meet many people in my circle of acquaintances who are BA subscribers. I have recommended free weeks to friends. Three out of 4 are still receiving their weekly meals. I am bombarded with other similar food services but have not intention of changing from Blue Apron.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I just relocated from NYC to rural Maine and have a visual disability that prevents me from driving. I started ordering Blue Apron meals to get me through the winter months when it's too cold and icy to walk 2 miles to the store. Well Blue Apron billed my credit card for $59 on 12/24 but notified me on 2/30 (one day after the delivery was due) that the order is cancelled in its entirety leaving me on a holiday weekend — when everything is closed or not accessible due to weather conditions — with no food. Moreover this is after Christmas and everyone is broke and that was my only money until payday. Fed Ex is claiming Blue Apron put my order in a container to Chicago instead of Maine and that they could have upped the priority when they realized their error but choose not to. Also why a refund in 5 to 7 business days when this is food people rely on to live.

The sequence of events went as follows: Dec 24 Blue Apron billed my cc for $59.96. Dec 28 12 PM BA order is picked up at NJ location destined for Maine. Dec 28 3:57 PM BA order is scanned in Chicago Illinois. Dec 28 3:59 BA sends email w/ tracking number and tells me delivery will be there next day. Dec 29 BA sends email advising of a delay and promises delivery by next day. Dec 30 BA sends email cancelling order in its entirety. FedEx claims that BA put my order on the wrong truck and could have rectified their mistake by changing the priority on the delivery which they did not do. What does that say about the executives at Blue Apron?

Blue Apron is out partying with the money of senior citizens and the disabled who they left: Dec 24 Blue Apron billed my cc for $59.96. Dec 28 12 PM BA order is picked up at NJ location destined for Maine. Dec 28 3:57 PM BA order is scanned in Chicago Illinois. Dec 28 3:59 BA sends email w/ tracking number and tells me delivery will be there next day. Dec 29 BA sends email advising of a delay and promises delivery by next day. Dec 30 BA sends email cancelling order in its entirety.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I signed up for a Blue Apron account using a $60 gift card. I was supposed to also receive a $30 discount from Blue Apron so my first week should have cost me $9.96. I did not enter any credit card information at sign up, I was wanting to try the service first before deciding if I wanted to continue the service. They canceled my service before I received any food shipment, did not give me the $30 discount, and refused to refund any remaining money (should be $50) left on the $60 gift card. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

We cancelled Blue Apron because they were indicating that our food had been shipped when it hadn't. We liked most of the meals so we decided to reinstate the order and the last meal we got was short an important item. Now this week's shipment says it has shipped but it hasn't and FedEx says only a label has been created, the same as the last time a delivery was not received. We have now cancelled Blue Apron again and will never again renew the service. I spoke to a customer service both times and got the same baloney from both.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Do not use Blue Apron. They are a standard subscription SCAM company that makes you give all your credit card information and then sends you 2-3 meals for $60 a week. Their website doesn't allow you to cancel your subscription and you can only cancel by calling them (they are only open for a few hours, four days a week). I was using their service and skipping weeks where I didn't want food service. I skipped all deliveries in December, but somehow the app "didn't save" my selections and they sent a $60 meal to sit on my porch while we were out of town and basically provide food for raccoons. I called them and they basically told me that I was suppose to "refresh the app" and all this is my fault. They offered a $19 credit on my account that is cancelled, so that is useless. Such terrible customer service and terrible terms and just a blatant disregard for their customers.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

My boxes were regularly shorted ingredients. When this occurred, they would provide credit that could only be used on a future box, not refunding the box that was impacted. They shorted my last box (shipped after I cancelled). ALL of the fresh produce. When contacted, I got a "too bad, so sad, we can provide a credit if you enable your account again!" I put the complaint through on my credit card. Chargeback will occur for them. Not acceptable.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I got the so called "free" meal but they say you need to cancel a week before they send you another meal order. I cancelled the day after my free order came (I didn't even have time to try it) and the 2nd order was on its way so they said I would have to pay for it because I didn't cancel before they sent it. I thought I would be able to at least try it before I had to cancel it. The second meal cost me $71.00 and it took me almost an hour to cut and fix all the food. Please don't get involved with this company. It doesn't save you any time or money and the meals are just average.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Not even worth 1 star. First - you have to give your credit card before you can see their meals. This was where I made my first mistake. I should not have given it - I should have known it wasn't going to be worth it. There is no variety, the meals are really not what a typical American eats every day. There is nothing and I mean nothing that I would ever want to make or eat. Now I need to get out of it and I'm hoping I don't have to cancel the credit card I used to get out of it. There was nothing worth it with this company. The food got thrown out and I had to get two weeks, so - next week they will probably get thrown out again. Haven't these people heard of real food - you know beef, pork that doesn't involve kale and collard greens? Please - not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I called to cancel my package and showed that the label was created, no shipped, no picked up from the company, but the robotic lady only said, "I'm sorry I cannot do anything." She proposed to give it to my neighbor. I told her I'm leaving the country for vacation. Offered to pay something for the delivery change. Some Great companies offer some kind of help, this lady never asked the supervisor or offered a discount in the next delivery. Your company should see and value a loyal customer. I told her that I need to cancel this membership and she was almost happy to let me go.

I am a Hispanic lady with a strong accent, she must be a racist. Once I complaint about a rotten vegetables and a nice lady gave me 1/2 meal discount for next delivery. So I kept my subscription. But now I'm free of this nonsense. I want my money back and I'm going to ask my bank to credit it back. This company does not take care of Hispanics so I urge to consider another company to make business with. Anyway portions were getting smaller and veggies were not fresh. Keep your money and go Publix and buy boxes for less prices and at your convenience.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I decided Blue Apron wasn't for me, I do like to cook but the meals are too involved for my small kitchen. I canceled 6 days prior to my delivery date and yet they charged me that evening for my last box. There is no way that it takes 6 days to pack and ship fresh food, so I don't see how it can be past the changeable date. I went to look if it was but since I canceled I can't see this mystery (and expensive) order.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I signed up for Blue Apron service but decided to cancel the membership. I submitted my cancellation notice as per the instructions on their website (10/29/17) only to receive a delivery of two meals on 11/30/17. When I inquired with customer service they indicated that there was a subsequent email with additional instructions, which I never saw come through my inbox. I asked for a refund of the charge on my credit card and this was ignored twice. They only advised that they manually cancelled my account. So, $30 down the drain that I wasn't expecting to be forced into spending as I cancelled my account per their website instructions.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Their cancellation process just seems unnecessarily arduous. You have to send them an email to then receive instructions. The email is automatically sent in response to yours and all it has is a blurb about how their customer service team would like to help and then a link to cancel if you still really want to cancel. The link to cancel (along with any expected language about how their team want to try and convince you not to cancel) should just be available online through your account.

It feels like they are making the consumer take an extra step and wouldn't be upset if you don't get around to it sooner rather than later. I'm canceling because the meals are pretty boring and the selection is limited, but this business practice regarding the cancellation process send like they're trying to take advantage of people.

Resolution response: Nov. 28, 2017

I was subsequently asked to rate my customer service experience. After giving a poor rating and explaining why, I was contacted by Blue Apron and they provided a full refund for the entire meal kit. I consider this a complete resolution of the problem.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Tried two weeks of Blue Apron meal plan. First week the recipes were average. Second week, received ingredients for 3 meals, 2 of which did not match the recipes that were sent. Tried to contact customer service to get recipes - called at 6:05 pm on a Wed. Received voice mail that they closed at 6:00. Tried to find recipes that matched ingredients online, could not find them anywhere. So, called again and left message, and also emailed. No return call, but did finally hear back from customer service via email 5 days later, when I was offered the missing recipes. By the time I was finally able to try and prepare the meal, the food was at seven days old, not including transport time (received box on a Monday - finally heard back from customer service Sunday) – questionably edible. No offer for reimbursement for the two meals which could not be prepared. Have cancelled my account and will not reorder.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

The wrong recipe was sent. In response, instead of issuing a refund, I was given a credit for a future purchase that will go unused as I already closed my account. The only way to cancel your account is to contact customer service and have them e-mail you the instructions. I canceled my account on the 15th, but it did not cancel right away but instead, I still received 2 additional packages. You can only skip these if you have an active account. The person on the phone was not helpful at all and just sat there offering no solutions.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

A cheeseburger recipe was missing the ground beef, and the customer service representative only offered me Blue Apron credit. I had already canceled my account because the cost of the food ($70/week for family plan of 2 meals) was excessive given the quality. One of the "recipes" for a side dish was broccoli roasted in the oven with olive oil (provided by me). Paying $70/week to get broccoli in the mail seems a bit much. Anyway, I emailed regarding the missing ground beef and the customer service representative refused to offer me a direct refund, saying that I can only get a $35 credit for my next order if I reactivate my account.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I tried out a free box back in August and was really impressed. So I've been ordering for 4 months now and average about 2 boxes per month, about every other week. Things were fine until last week when I had incorrect knick knack bags for 2 of the 3 meals. I wasn't happy so I sent an email through their website. About a day later I wasn't contacted so I called them. I was surprised that they can't send out missing bags and only offered a measly 10 bucks off the next order. And that presumes I'm going to order from them again.

I reconsidered and called back the next day and demanded money back for 2 orders since I'd been a customer for a while. They agreed. So that made me feel a little better about the inconvenience of having to hunt down several missing ingredients. Sadly, my very next box is missing scallions for one of the 3 meals. Obviously not a huge deal but it makes me worried about their attention to detail lately. You'd think a $60 box of food going across the country would be double or triple checked. Time will tell if they can improve.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We have been doing the home delivery menu trials from various businesses, and this has been the worse. We had 2 dinners that required garlic and it was not sent. All three meals had side dishes that had us cut up a big vegetable and put on a pan with olive oil and throw It in the oven. Really? If you haven’t tried any of the other delivery menu services then give them a try. All have been better than Blue Apron.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

There were some irritations, which I discuss below, but the reason I had to cancel was on one shipment, the beef for one meal was missing. Then the bag of small ingredients for one meal was missing on another. I got a credit for the missing beef. But the missing bag, I did not care anymore. Minor stuff: Some of the packaging is awkward. Some liquids come in cardboard envelopes that require the top to be torn off, and are hard to handle. The recipes sometimes call for half a liquid. This requires the liquid to be poured out and measured. Not a crisis, but the ads say "pre-measured" ingredients.

Blue Apron expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.

• Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.

• Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.

• Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.

• Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.

• Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, those interested in expanding their cooking skills and wine lovers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Blue Apron Company Information

www.blueapron.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use