2.52/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

240 Blue Apron Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We tried Blue Apron last year and was initially satisfied but when our menu choices became too "off main" stream and bazaar, we choose to change providers. Additionally, every entrée always included an excessive amount of Kale! After receiving an email invitation to try them again, we reviewed Blue Apron's new menu options and found them more to our current tastes. We placed another order in November. Upon receipt of our order, we found missing spice ingredients in all three entrée choices which were critical to making meat and vegetable sauces. The meals were wasted!

Upon contacting Blue Apron to report the problem, their only response was "Sorry, but this is a very busy time of the year". Yes, Blue Apron, this IS a very busy time of the year! With our money and effort at stake, we have little patience with your incompetence or disregard for customer satisfaction! We expected Blue Apron to deliver a complete product to which the success of our meals are dependent. While shipping mistakes can happen, a flippant attitude toward the customer after their meal is destroyed is ill-deserved!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I had been a Blue Apron customer for over a year. At first it was excellent quality and good customer service if shipments were late, damaged, etc. Then we had a period of increased travel. Managing the account which would only let you skip about 6 weeks ahead, became difficult to keep up with. Before you know it, I would get an email notifying that the shipment was on its way. It was too late to cancel and I would be stuck paying for a meal I did not order and could not use. I gave the meals away on two different occasions. Over the 6 month period. Then on October 9 Our delivery started up again without my submitting An order. We were leaving town the next day. Again I gave the delivery to my children who could only use one of the two meals.

I contacted customer service and was told to install the app that would notify me ahead of the shipment date, which I did. I managed the account for another 4 weeks which was as far as I could go at the time. The only notice of shipment I received was that the meals would be delivered in two days. Again I was told it was too late to cancel. The shipment was delivered the week of Thanksgiving. I could not use it nor did anyone want it. I found the produce to be poor quality (kale was full of brown spots and holes) - the product was thrown out. I wrote customer service; I called customer service - they would not refund my money. I am very dissatisfied and I let them know. I pretty much received a “too bad” response. I cancelled my membership.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Blue Apron sent me a box that I did not order. Filled with recipes that I did not select. Customer service was good at citing policy and quoting rules. Basically it was tough ** that you didn't order it. Your credit card is on file and it's been charged. Customer service rep suggested that I give box to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Contacted customer service several times but didn't remediate the issue. The rule isn't clear on the website and they auto-charge once your credit card is on file. Their growth tactic is terrible to late notify the customer about the menu they're sending and the meal. Extremely disappointed as they could've talked to UPS or any parcel service to keep the parcel and not charge the customer.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I was a customer, then took a break and am now a customer again...however, I am extremely disappointed to learn I can no longer send back the gel packs. Blue Apron discontinued their recycling program and suggest that the gel from the packs be disposed in the trash can(?!). I've asked them to please come up with an alternative. Pouring the liquid into my trash can (or anywhere else) is not a an environmentally friendly solution! Blue Apron could follow Omaha Steaks and start using use dry ice and plastic bags, instead of filling up landfills, septic tanks and sewers with nasty emulsified sodium polyacrylate (nasty ingredient in the gel packs). I do enjoy the ease of their product, the quality of their food and their customer service. I'm hoping they figure out this gel pack issue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

3 days late 3 times in a row. Very disappointed as I base meal planning on these deliveries and the last 3 orders have been late and food ruined. Blue Apron did reimburse me but ??? since I can no longer depend on Blue Apron. Customer Service didn’t even call me or attempt to tell me if they talked to FedEx about poor delivery.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My brother who lives in California sends the meals to us in Dayton, Ohio. My Mom is on Hospice Care in the house and that is one of contribution to helping. He sends meals for her and my other brother who lives in the house with her. I usually come over to my mom's house daily to help take care of her, and I'm the one who cooks her meals. I must say it is a joy to have a few meals during the week that are already portioned out, with the food included the seasoning are awesome and I've learned a lot about some of the recipes I never heard of.

I'm grateful for Blue Apron, I love the concept, the quality of the ingredients. Only a couple times some of the produce was not as fresh as it should be (Persian cucumber). I love them, keep up the good work. I always share the meals on my Facebook page, and take a picture of whatever I fixed. Today I will be making the Beef & Broccoli in Cumin-Spiced Sauce, I'll have to look up some of these items but that is the excitement of something new.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I wanted to try out Blue Apron. Read reviews and reviews were mixed. My delivery for the kit was delayed by a day, but when it arrived, food was cold packaged with ice covering and food arrived in excellent condition. Ingredients (meat and vegetables) were of organic and best quality, I would say better than supermarket. I was impressed with the ingredient quality. Was able to make a meal in about 30 minutes and my 6 year old son liked the dinner like never before and ate his full plate. He was bored with home dinners. Also I was easily able to turn off the following week's deliver as we are going out and it is so easy to just cancel your account when you want. I don't think I will cancel it ever. I will keep the account and just skip the weeks that I want to skip. At the end it was worth my money spent. I would recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

The meal box delivery service was OK. Nothing special. If you know how to grocery shop, you can save money by buying groceries for yourself that make the same menu items. My family stopped eating animal products so I tried canceling my account. After not hearing back via email, I sent another email requesting a confirmation that my account would be cancelled and the Blue Apron team complied with that confirmation. A week and a half later, I’m charged $60 for a meal kit I can’t eat and expected that service and charge to be gone from my life. What kind of companies make you email them to cancel? This not only DOESN’T stop people from canceling but causes confirmation and finance problems for the customer. Blue Apron is a sleazy company in my perspective and I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone. Find a meal service that lets you cancel your membership WITHOUT having to email/call that company.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

My first meal did not arrive. The wife called them. There was a problem with my shipping info. There was an address that did not exist listed. She assured me that they had delivered it to that address. After telling them that is not possible they told me they would give a small credit that did not cover half of the price of my meal. I called my bank, disputed the charge and canceled the service.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Blue Apron committed fraud in my checking account 4 times in 4 weeks. They refused to refund money. They took with NO authorization from me. They place complaining callers on long holds and repeat the same unethical policies and practices, as long as you will tolerate. They will not return money for food never requested nor received. They are incredibly dishonest and unethical in their dealings.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Blue Apron included one salmon fillet in their box; however on the ingredients card it said 2 salmon fillets. This seems like a trivial issue but the salmon is the main ingredient for the meal and so it feels very disappointing thinking you will receive two and only have one. This is the review I wrote to them: "It’s understandable if you’re only going to include one fillet for freshness reasons but unacceptable to give the disappointment of feeling ** on the most important part of the meal. The pictures on the ingredient card look like it's two fillets the size of the one I received, the length of the fish is basically the size of a dinner plate. The size is deceptively large and caused clearly unrealistic expectations on my part for y'alls ability to deliver 2 decently sized fillets. Seriously, how hard would it have been to include a instruction to cut the fish in half before serving and having 1 fillet in the ingredients section, seems like a major oversight...

"Additionally, you never include olive oil in your baskets which is a terrible mistake considering how expensive it is and how much your recipes call for it (drizzle this in olive oil, drizzle that in olive oil). You have to buy a fairly large bottle from a grocer instead of being able to make a full meal with all the ingredients like your advertising would lead a gullible consumer like my self to believe. Plus, when we first got the basket we thought we'd be able to cook it that night, find no olive oil. Now we have to wait till we go pick some up to cook. Also your meals never have enough sauce or sauce ingredients which greatly reduces the value of them and makes them horrible leftovers and essentially impossible to reheat and enjoy. Only good thing was quick delivery and fresh ingredients.

"For these reasons I will not be renewing my relationship after this week's deliveries. I only joined because of the discount for the first two weeks but paying full price would be the biggest rip-off ever. Good customer acquisition technique but you just offer absolutely nothing for retention proving that I'm probably not the only person who feels this way. I enjoy cooking but did not enjoy cooking with you."

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I am fairly new to Blue Apron, but so far I have found most of the meals to be absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, I just received a badly damaged box (obviously the fault of the carrier), for which I was given a full refund from Blue Apron. I had trouble submitting pictures through the Blue Apron app, but I called a customer service representative (less than a minute wait) and sent the pictures directly to him. The meal preparation takes me a little longer than the times listed on the recipe sheets, but it is probably accurate for an experienced cook. I pay with Blue Apron gift cards purchased at Costco, which reduces the cost by 20%.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

As a busy working Mom of 2 teens, I wanted the convenience of having ready-to-make meals delivered to my door. Tried Home Chef for a few months first -- liked it -- then decided to give Blue Apron our business. We've been getting weekly shipments from them for about the past 3 months. At first, we were THRILLED. The selections were a little more 'exotic' (to our midwestern palates) and contained foods we weren't familiar with. The first month, everything was EXCELLENT. Then we started to notice some little changes...the produce didn't look as fresh...the box was poorly packed leading to damage and leaks.

Then, on a Friday in August when it was nearly 90 degrees, I got home from work eager to unpack that week's meals. There were only TWO ice packs in the box -- both were melted -- the produce was soggy and the meats were room temperature. I was VERY disappointed -- had to throw out the entire shipment!!! I called Blue Apron, and they immediately credited the entire order to my account.

The next week, my shipment arrived...and several pieces of produce were damaged. Again, I complained -- and received a partial credit for one meal. Things seemed okay for the next few weeks (though a couple of times I questioned whether I was getting the meals I ordered. I KNOW I ordered the 'Bob's Burger' hamburgers, but got some stupid fish dish instead). The quality (& selection) of the meals had definitely gone downhill -- how much miso ANYTHING can one family stomach??

The last straw was the box I received this past week. The container of tomatoes was open and they were all over the box -- squished!! (But, somehow, that container managed to turn itself upright AND snap its own lid back on!!) All 4 of the cucumbers in the package were snapped in half and WAY overripe -- they were translucent when I chopped them. In the garbage they went. So we were left with some gross looking kale (browned edges and little black spots all over the root) -- and these horrible pre-made "beef dumplings" (which had almost NO beef in them). They were disgusting.

I messaged Blue Apron about the issues -- and to cancel my account. I requested that the remaining credit on my account ($38) be refunded to me, since it was for food that was spoiled and thrown away. THEY REFUSED. Instead, the "customer service" person offered to throw another $20 in credit onto my account. Uh...NO. SO we're going back to Home Chef. Hoping they don't go the way of Blue Apron (and every internet/cable provider out there): put your best foot forward for the new customers, but offer NO perks to the loyal ones. As anyone with half a brain can tell you: that is no way to run a business.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We are a husband/wife in our 70’s... married 50 plus years and bored with cooking... What a great deal BA is for us. We mix our cocktails and both of us participate in the prep and cooking. We have never had anything bad. Yes a few we would not reorder, not BA problem, we just chose wrong. We love picking the 2 meals for the week... Love love love it!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

The food is good if it ever shows up. Ordered 3 times. 2 times it was a day late, and the 3rd time it just never showed up. They use a crap delivery company that lies. I guess they just love to let food spoil.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I did not like at all the tremendous amount of waste created with every delivery. That was enough for me to stop Blue Apron deliveries. I might consider another service but I could not justify the amount of unrecyclable waste.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I liked food being delivered and everything being in the box so you did not have to worry about missing an ingredient. The recipes were good. I actually liked every meal. The cards that have the recipes are easy to follow and some of the food is portioned out so that is easy!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Home Chef provided a unique opportunity to try different meals and was very convenient. Their directions were easy to follow and the premeasured containers allowed for quick meals. Delivery was on time and well packaged. Meals were exact to the serving however did not leave much for leftovers, which can be a blessing and a curse. Good company and good service.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

The food was good and had plenty of options. It’s great if you don’t have the time to shop and think about what to cook. It still requires some amount of meal prep which makes it expensive and time consuming.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We loved it all, except unable to pick the recipes we wanted delivered, as some of the pre-selected recipes weren't anything my family would eat ~ other than that, the recipes were awesome, we learned how to prepare some amazing new healthy meals.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

We have had ZERO problems with Blue Apron. Our box arrives every Thursday without fail. It always includes the meals we ordered and all ingredients for those meals. Prep times on recipes seem accurate, and recipes are clear. We do like some recipes more than others, but we have not DISliked any of them. My wife and I have been really happy with it.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Blue Apron was nutrient efficient and included fresh ingredients. The shipping was simple and was always on time and delivered in good condition. The satisfaction of the taste of the meal has always been the same, great!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I have found that on several occasions Blue Apron has left out a key ingredient. When I complain they will usually discount the bill. Their quality control on packing could be better but the food is usually wonderful.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The quality of the meats and vegetables is excellent. They use local produce and grass-fed beef. The meals are varied and there is an option of skipping a week delivery. Instructions are easy to follow.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

The veggies were fresh, but all dumped in a paper bag for customer was just too much. Also tried HelloFresh and they packed everything separate and easy to locate. And Hello Fresh was much taste.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Great customer service. The meal selections were great and the meals were good. My main complaint was that most everything was fried and meal preparation took too long. Also, cost was way too high.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Great choices and everything arrives fresh even in the heat of summer. Can’t compare to other services but Blue Apron is very good. Lastly, if you wish to skip a week or many because you are vacationing or just don’t feel like cooking, it’s just a click and no one forces you to purchase what you don’t need or want.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We thought the service was fine however, we did not enjoy the recipes. If you are not that fussy about the fresh produce this might be for you ie; if you are the shopper that looks over each carrot, tomato, cucumber. I also, do not like the idea of using all the ice packs and boxing which they do need for shipping.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

The ingredients are fresh, the recipes easy to follow and the pre-portion ingredients make it quick and simple to prepare... usually 30-60 minutes from start to table. I would like to see an ability to order 2 of the same meal if I like one and not the others. I like that you can skip deliveries if you don't like any of the menus or if you will be out of town.

Blue Apron expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.

• Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.

• Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.

• Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.

• Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.

• Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, those interested in expanding their cooking skills and wine lovers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs