2.46/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

259 Blue Apron Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Blue Apron is nothing short of unethical. We received our first order, that being a four meal package, and out of that shipment the chicken and shrimp arrived spoiled, the bok choy was frozen and unusable, and the pizza dough would not rise as the recipe stated it should. So out of the four meals, we were only able to get on full meal and had to improvise on the rest.

When we contacted Blue Ribbon customer service to see if there was anything they were willing to do to make it right, the only thing that would say is "We are sorry to hear that happened". When we couldn't make any headway with that we asked to cancel the service. They said, "Sure, however we could not cancel the upcoming shipment that was 3 days away due to the fact that our shipping label had already been printed." Seems odd, but OK. Then we asked if they would discount that order and we were told they could not do that. They would be more than happy to give us a credit if we should ever decide the restart the service. Bottom line, don't waste your money with this dishonest organization.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Food and packaging is okay, recipes are okay, just okay. We have tried 2 other meal kit services before Blue Apron and it clearly came in last. Our first delivery showed up 4 days late with no clear explanation as to why, and the weather was not the issue. I finally, after several tries, got a response to my inquiry and was offered a refund since the perishables had to be thrown out due to the delay. We never got the refund, and the case was closed without the actual refund showing up. I cancelled our account right away to avoid further irritation, and doubt I will ever hear from them again. There is ZERO consideration for client satisfaction and their food isn't good enough to balance that failure. Try another meal kit service, don't use Blue Apron.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Blue Apron gets the food part of their business right -- interesting recipes, fresh food, good packaging. However, their business practices are way too aggressive and they seek to lock people in with no easy way out, which is incredibly poor service by today's standards, especially for an internet company. Their whole experience is web based -- until it comes to cancellation. You will have to search Google, not their site, to find the place on their site to request DIRECTIONS for cancellation. You CANNOT cancel online; rather you must send an email requesting cancellation, which in my case was ignored. Clearly, they know how to code the cancellation process??

This is a deliberate attempt to lock people in when they no longer wish to purchase the company's services. I would suggest you check out Sun Basket -- great recipes and ingredients, and an easy cancel process. Plus asked if they could call after I cancelled and offered me other options to stay and told me I could have two free meals if I returned later. You catch a lot more flies with honey...

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I want to warn everyone to NOT use Blue Apron. Their recipes are very bland and not that tasty, and they are very fattening if you look at the nutritional content. I started out one of those trials and ordered 2 weeks of food. It only lets you see menus for 4-5 weeks out and then I got caught up with my life with 2 small kids. One of the weeks, the food they sent me was spoiled and went straight in the trash. Just when I was about to take a break, I get an email and they went ahead and automatically ordered me a $60 box without my choosing! I called to tell them, "I didn't order this," and they said their system automatically orders you boxes unless you go in, every few weeks and opt out. I explained that I really didn't want this box and they kept offering me a $19 credit for my next box. But I just went grocery shopping and was not expecting this box, and I didn't even choose the recipes.

I spoke with a supervisor and everything, but she would not help me out. I wasn't expecting them to offer me a full refund but maybe just meet me half-way and apply that $19 credit to this box. I am super bummed. I feel deceived. For anyone out there who gets busy and doesn't opt out every 3-4 weeks, you'll just get these $60-$80 boxes that show up and there's no way to return them. They don't send you emails to let you know their computer system put an order in for you. I tried a regional food subscription company from Chicago called Meez Meals and they just let you order the weeks you want them, and their food is way better anyway! I wish I didn't get sucked into this weekly subscription program. What a scam! Stay away! Their foods not even creative or healthy anyway.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I received a delivery in late December on an expired credit card so I did not think it billed me but when I opened my credit card bill this weekend it was there. I called to get a refund and they refused. I spoke to three separate people and no one would help me (except to give me another free box which I did not want since I called to cancel my account). They told me I would have to send in an email to have someone else "help" me. I have not been treated that badly in a long time... I guess customer service has no meaning to Blue Apron... I would not recommend them to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I am very happy with the food that I get from them. Maybe too much waste in the packaging, but if that is the price in order to keep the food fresh, let it be it. The thing that I hate every time I log in to their website is the fact that you are by default opted in for delivery. And there is no way to disable this in settings area. I would much like to be opted out from delivery. Once I get the email from them, if I like it that week I will place the order. I know that this might result for less deliveries for them overall short term, but you will get more satisfied customers. I would be more likely to recommend the service to a friend if I like it more. Also, the fact that you cannot stop the service from the website but you have to call them took one more star down from this review.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Our daughter and son-in-law gave us a gift membership for Christmas and we “skipped” the first couple of weeks then, today, I received an email saying due to inclement weather conditions predicted this week’s order would be received on Friday instead of Saturday. I quickly learned from”Brittany” in Customer Service, that if you do not “skip” the week, they ship. Matters not whether it is a meal you would have chosen! Unfortunately, these two meals are ones we would have never selected and will end up in the trash. What a scam! I will try to use the balance of the gift certificate we received, then cancel. Easier to eat out!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I unsubscribed over a year ago. A promotional email arrived for a $60 off offer. I pushed the email link to see what the offer was all about and a message popped up that my membership was re-instated. There was no way to undo it. Two days later I get an email that my delivery was in the mail. This was without my credit card authorization or my intention to re-subscribe. It's crazy! I'm still sorting it out.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Bought a Groupon for 3 meals for 2 people. I thought that's what I would get. I checked out their website after I bought the coupon, but it wasn't very user-friendly, so I figured I'd wait to start it since I understood I could start and stop whenever I chose. Next thing I know I get a box delivered to my house. I NEVER would have chosen December 30 to get a box of food, since my fridge and freezer were packed to the max. Also, it wasn't a meal I would have picked. I emailed immediately and told them what happened and to cancel... Even though I sent it several times, I got no response. Then a second box came, I was really ticked off, so I contacted Groupon to complain... They told me to call Blue Apron. I figured, why bother, at this point, I only had one more box coming that I didn't want, so let it go and I'll be done with them.

Imagine my surprise when I was checking my credit card statement and saw I was charged $36 for the first meal and $48 for the second! I was furious. Called Blue Apron and the CSR I talked to explained why... What she said made no sense at all. I tried to explain that I bought this Groupon understanding that I was going to get 3 free meals for 2 people...didn't matter, she explained the same BS again. At least I was able to cancel it, but guess what came today? Another box. Another box that's going to waste. Another box that, I'm sure, will get charged to my credit card. Do they care? Obviously not about the customer. They got their money and that's the only thing they care about. What a scam. And Groupon should be ashamed of themselves for teaming up with a business that's in the business of ripping people off. I won't be dealing with them anymore either.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

In short, gift cards CANNOT be applied to promotions (i.e. any promotion you find online will not be applied to your order when paying by gift card). Here was my experience: I received a $120 gift card as a gift and, coincidentally (not really), I saw a promotion on Facebook for $20 off the first 3 weeks of meals, which normally cost $60 for the 3 meals/week, 2 servings per meal plan. In any other business, this $20 promotion would be applied to my purchase and it would cost me $40 per week (giving me 3 weeks of deliveries from my $120 gift card).

However, Blue Apron does not acknowledge online discounts when using a gift card. So my weekly bill was the normal $60. Meaning I only got 2 weeks of deliveries for my $120 gift card. I learned this only after spending 2 weeks emailing back and forth with Blue Apron support and a subsequent 20 minute phone call.

Had I not received a gift card and had the gifting party just spent $120 on the service for me, I would have received 3 weeks of meals, not 2. This is one of the biggest gift card scams I've seen from a company. Please, for everyone's sake, DO NOT BUY GIFT CARDS. On a more positive note, the service was ok, but pricy.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Blue Apron is one of the easiest, most enjoyable cooking experiences. The food is delicious, fun, different, and creative. I absolutely LOVE it. With that being said, the website on the other hand will single-handedly ruin their business for the several reasons. I'm actually sincerely hoping they hire a tech genius to revamp it because I truly do love the product. Blue Apron if you're reading this- this is what needs to be changed.

1) When you initially sign up the website won't accept an apartment number. We live in a giant apartment building right outside NYC and we had to call customer service to override it and they had to enter our apartment number manually. 2) I currently have a "total credit" however I was unable to use my total credit to the meal and only $27 dollars of my credit applied, the rest was charged to my credit card. Allow our credits to be used similarly to a gift card. 3) Let us order a la carte! I am a busy doctor, my schedule changes every single week. Blue Apron is a blessing to my busy weeks, let me choose the meals, how many, and when. With that being said, I am a loyal Blue Apron customer and love the product. Definitely recommend trying it out if you're on the fence.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

We ordered a three-meal box last week hoping to eat them in three consecutive days since everything is fresh. Unfortunately, the box was delivered sometime after 9:15 PM (after we went to bed) the first night which is ridiculous. We did see it on our back step in the morning so not sure when it came. We do like their meals and this is the first time we've had this issue but the boxes need to be delivered before 6 PM.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have been using Blue Apron for two years and rarely had issues. I have canceled weeks, changed mailing addresses and never had problem. Yes. You do have to remember to go in and cancel a week before it ships but I just don't it when I am notified my order for the current week is on the way. The selection is great each week of meals and has a lot of variety. There is enough cooking without being too much. A lot of the meals do have broccoli or kale but they vary how it is cooked. My only complaint is instead of giving free boxes to give to friends it would be nice to be complemented a box when a friend signs up. I have had five friends sign up on my recommendation and there is no kickback to who referred them.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

A friend of my wife recently gave us $120 in Blue Apron gift certificates so we thought we'd try it out. We signed up online, provided payment information and scheduled two weeks of delivery. Each week contained three meals for two. I found the entire experience offensive and annoying in the extreme. What is offensive is the incredible amount of WASTE generated by this process. My most recent Blue Apron order was: A cardboard box, A plastic and mylar insulating bag, A frozen gel pack, Three different portions of meat in plastic bags, Spaghetti for two, uncooked, in a plastic bag, Small plastic bottles of sauce, ingredients, etc. - in a plastic bag, Small portions of food for each recipe - potatoes, kale, carrots, etc. - in plastic bags, Two eggs, each separately packaged in a separate cardboard egg package, Paper recipes, A cardboard panel that says "creating a better food system one delicious recipe at a time."

I was APPALLED at the amount of waste in this package! Plastic bags, plastic containers, plastic, plastic, plastic. Worst of all was the gel pack - of course, another PLASTIC BAG. I thought it contained ice, but it's some sort of weird GEL. I was afraid to pour it down the sink, so I threw it in the dumpster. Who knows WHAT the heck that stuff is! And the instructions chirpily tell me to recycle everything! Even though I live in a major city, most of this stuff is NOT recyclable! Plastic bags aren't! Aside from the incredible amount of packaging waste, I see no reason to continue this service. I can just as easily print out a recipe from the internet and buy the ingredients at the store while shopping. I honestly do not see the benefit here. Lastly, there is no way to cancel the service online! I had to 'send an email' and wait to hear back. That's bogus. I'm going to call my credit card company and tell them NOT to pay anything to Blue Apron.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I started Blue Apron in 2016, after having my first child. I liked that the service provided gourmet meals with interesting ingredients that could still be challenging at times to prepare. It saved us time to have ingredients delivered and a menu selected in advance, yet continued to let us try new items and recipes that we didn't have the bandwidth to research and buy. Flashforward 2 years, and now Blue Apron is meat, a veggie and some pre-prepared sauce, mix, or pack that you add together. If I wanted Sandra Lee I can do that already. I know people probably complained about things taking time...and a focus group probably begged them to make the changes. But c'mon, did you have to basically make it like the old "Chicken Tonight" sauce from the 80s?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Initially, we liked Blue Apron (since Feb 2018) but our September 2018 complaint was never resolved when we received inedible steak and both meals had green beans. Dec 26, 2018 the customer service representative - had inaccurate notations in BLUE APRON documentation regarding that issue and disagreed with our statement of truth that we previously submitted to BLUE APRON. Now a SATURDAY, December 29, 2018 shipment was scheduled and our usual delivery day is Wednesday. Despite an offer to extend a future free shipment, we cancelled the program - that would be TWO shipments we paid for without being able to use. Enough bad customer service and food, Blue Apron.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Hey All. I have been a customer of both Blue Apron and HelloFresh to try both competitive companies. I must say...there is quite the difference in customer service and the care for customers satisfaction vs. money. First, Blue Apron does not allow you to cancel online, which in these times is a way of saying "we want to make it difficult for you to cancel our service". Second, Blue Apron makes you pass on delivery week-to-week, otherwise you are charged almost $70 a week for delivery.

Third, Blue Apron does not deliver the meals in one easy to make bag, rather they throw everything in one box and hope you can sort out the 30+ ingredients in a timely manner. 4th and foremost, the items delivered are "almost fresh" but are always brown or withered when delivered. As someone that has tried a many different delivery meal services...do not go with Blue Apron. They have shown time and time again that income means more than customer satisfaction.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have had multiple deliveries where the food was moldy. Also when I went to cancel the service they charged me for that the price of a delivery even though I said I cancelled the account. I had emailed them twice to cancel my subscription too and they said they did not receive it. They also charged my credit card that was expired!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I was gifted a free week of 2 deliveries. I am required to sign up for the full service using my payment information to redeem my "gift." This is so much like a scam that I e-mailed the person who tried to gift it to me to make sure it was for real. I would never use this company for anything if their marketing is sleazy enough to require that you sign up to pay for a subscription to redeem a gift.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We tried Blue Apron last year and was initially satisfied but when our menu choices became too "off main" stream and bazaar, we choose to change providers. Additionally, every entrée always included an excessive amount of Kale! After receiving an email invitation to try them again, we reviewed Blue Apron's new menu options and found them more to our current tastes. We placed another order in November. Upon receipt of our order, we found missing spice ingredients in all three entrée choices which were critical to making meat and vegetable sauces. The meals were wasted!

Upon contacting Blue Apron to report the problem, their only response was "Sorry, but this is a very busy time of the year". Yes, Blue Apron, this IS a very busy time of the year! With our money and effort at stake, we have little patience with your incompetence or disregard for customer satisfaction! We expected Blue Apron to deliver a complete product to which the success of our meals are dependent. While shipping mistakes can happen, a flippant attitude toward the customer after their meal is destroyed is ill-deserved!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I had been a Blue Apron customer for over a year. At first it was excellent quality and good customer service if shipments were late, damaged, etc. Then we had a period of increased travel. Managing the account which would only let you skip about 6 weeks ahead, became difficult to keep up with. Before you know it, I would get an email notifying that the shipment was on its way. It was too late to cancel and I would be stuck paying for a meal I did not order and could not use. I gave the meals away on two different occasions. Over the 6 month period. Then on October 9 Our delivery started up again without my submitting An order. We were leaving town the next day. Again I gave the delivery to my children who could only use one of the two meals.

I contacted customer service and was told to install the app that would notify me ahead of the shipment date, which I did. I managed the account for another 4 weeks which was as far as I could go at the time. The only notice of shipment I received was that the meals would be delivered in two days. Again I was told it was too late to cancel. The shipment was delivered the week of Thanksgiving. I could not use it nor did anyone want it. I found the produce to be poor quality (kale was full of brown spots and holes) - the product was thrown out. I wrote customer service; I called customer service - they would not refund my money. I am very dissatisfied and I let them know. I pretty much received a “too bad” response. I cancelled my membership.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Blue Apron sent me a box that I did not order. Filled with recipes that I did not select. Customer service was good at citing policy and quoting rules. Basically it was tough ** that you didn't order it. Your credit card is on file and it's been charged. Customer service rep suggested that I give box to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Contacted customer service several times but didn't remediate the issue. The rule isn't clear on the website and they auto-charge once your credit card is on file. Their growth tactic is terrible to late notify the customer about the menu they're sending and the meal. Extremely disappointed as they could've talked to UPS or any parcel service to keep the parcel and not charge the customer.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I was a customer, then took a break and am now a customer again...however, I am extremely disappointed to learn I can no longer send back the gel packs. Blue Apron discontinued their recycling program and suggest that the gel from the packs be disposed in the trash can(?!). I've asked them to please come up with an alternative. Pouring the liquid into my trash can (or anywhere else) is not a an environmentally friendly solution! Blue Apron could follow Omaha Steaks and start using use dry ice and plastic bags, instead of filling up landfills, septic tanks and sewers with nasty emulsified sodium polyacrylate (nasty ingredient in the gel packs). I do enjoy the ease of their product, the quality of their food and their customer service. I'm hoping they figure out this gel pack issue.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

3 days late 3 times in a row. Very disappointed as I base meal planning on these deliveries and the last 3 orders have been late and food ruined. Blue Apron did reimburse me but ??? since I can no longer depend on Blue Apron. Customer Service didn’t even call me or attempt to tell me if they talked to FedEx about poor delivery.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My brother who lives in California sends the meals to us in Dayton, Ohio. My Mom is on Hospice Care in the house and that is one of contribution to helping. He sends meals for her and my other brother who lives in the house with her. I usually come over to my mom's house daily to help take care of her, and I'm the one who cooks her meals. I must say it is a joy to have a few meals during the week that are already portioned out, with the food included the seasoning are awesome and I've learned a lot about some of the recipes I never heard of.

I'm grateful for Blue Apron, I love the concept, the quality of the ingredients. Only a couple times some of the produce was not as fresh as it should be (Persian cucumber). I love them, keep up the good work. I always share the meals on my Facebook page, and take a picture of whatever I fixed. Today I will be making the Beef & Broccoli in Cumin-Spiced Sauce, I'll have to look up some of these items but that is the excitement of something new.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I wanted to try out Blue Apron. Read reviews and reviews were mixed. My delivery for the kit was delayed by a day, but when it arrived, food was cold packaged with ice covering and food arrived in excellent condition. Ingredients (meat and vegetables) were of organic and best quality, I would say better than supermarket. I was impressed with the ingredient quality. Was able to make a meal in about 30 minutes and my 6 year old son liked the dinner like never before and ate his full plate. He was bored with home dinners. Also I was easily able to turn off the following week's deliver as we are going out and it is so easy to just cancel your account when you want. I don't think I will cancel it ever. I will keep the account and just skip the weeks that I want to skip. At the end it was worth my money spent. I would recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

The meal box delivery service was OK. Nothing special. If you know how to grocery shop, you can save money by buying groceries for yourself that make the same menu items. My family stopped eating animal products so I tried canceling my account. After not hearing back via email, I sent another email requesting a confirmation that my account would be cancelled and the Blue Apron team complied with that confirmation. A week and a half later, I’m charged $60 for a meal kit I can’t eat and expected that service and charge to be gone from my life. What kind of companies make you email them to cancel? This not only DOESN’T stop people from canceling but causes confirmation and finance problems for the customer. Blue Apron is a sleazy company in my perspective and I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone. Find a meal service that lets you cancel your membership WITHOUT having to email/call that company.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

My first meal did not arrive. The wife called them. There was a problem with my shipping info. There was an address that did not exist listed. She assured me that they had delivered it to that address. After telling them that is not possible they told me they would give a small credit that did not cover half of the price of my meal. I called my bank, disputed the charge and canceled the service.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Blue Apron committed fraud in my checking account 4 times in 4 weeks. They refused to refund money. They took with NO authorization from me. They place complaining callers on long holds and repeat the same unethical policies and practices, as long as you will tolerate. They will not return money for food never requested nor received. They are incredibly dishonest and unethical in their dealings.

Blue Apron expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.

• Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.

• Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.

• Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.

• Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.

• Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, those interested in expanding their cooking skills and wine lovers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Blue Apron Company Information

www.blueapron.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.