2.28/5
  • 1 star
Based on 112 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 10, 2017

112 Blue Apron Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Not even worth 1 star. First - you have to give your credit card before you can see their meals. This was where I made my first mistake. I should not have given it - I should have known it wasn't going to be worth it. There is no variety, the meals are really not what a typical American eats every day. There is nothing and I mean nothing that I would ever want to make or eat. Now I need to get out of it and I'm hoping I don't have to cancel the credit card I used to get out of it. There was nothing worth it with this company. The food got thrown out and I had to get two weeks, so - next week they will probably get thrown out again. Haven't these people heard of real food - you know beef, pork that doesn't involve kale and collard greens? Please - not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I called to cancel my package and showed that the label was created, no shipped, no picked up from the company, but the robotic lady only said, "I'm sorry I cannot do anything." She proposed to give it to my neighbor. I told her I'm leaving the country for vacation. Offered to pay something for the delivery change. Some Great companies offer some kind of help, this lady never asked the supervisor or offered a discount in the next delivery. Your company should see and value a loyal customer. I told her that I need to cancel this membership and she was almost happy to let me go.

I am a Hispanic lady with a strong accent, she must be a racist. Once I complaint about a rotten vegetables and a nice lady gave me 1/2 meal discount for next delivery. So I kept my subscription. But now I'm free of this nonsense. I want my money back and I'm going to ask my bank to credit it back. This company does not take care of Hispanics so I urge to consider another company to make business with. Anyway portions were getting smaller and veggies were not fresh. Keep your money and go Publix and buy boxes for less prices and at your convenience.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I decided Blue Apron wasn't for me, I do like to cook but the meals are too involved for my small kitchen. I canceled 6 days prior to my delivery date and yet they charged me that evening for my last box. There is no way that it takes 6 days to pack and ship fresh food, so I don't see how it can be past the changeable date. I went to look if it was but since I canceled I can't see this mystery (and expensive) order.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I signed up for Blue Apron service but decided to cancel the membership. I submitted my cancellation notice as per the instructions on their website (10/29/17) only to receive a delivery of two meals on 11/30/17. When I inquired with customer service they indicated that there was a subsequent email with additional instructions, which I never saw come through my inbox. I asked for a refund of the charge on my credit card and this was ignored twice. They only advised that they manually cancelled my account. So, $30 down the drain that I wasn't expecting to be forced into spending as I cancelled my account per their website instructions.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Their cancellation process just seems unnecessarily arduous. You have to send them an email to then receive instructions. The email is automatically sent in response to yours and all it has is a blurb about how their customer service team would like to help and then a link to cancel if you still really want to cancel. The link to cancel (along with any expected language about how their team want to try and convince you not to cancel) should just be available online through your account.

It feels like they are making the consumer take an extra step and wouldn't be upset if you don't get around to it sooner rather than later. I'm canceling because the meals are pretty boring and the selection is limited, but this business practice regarding the cancellation process send like they're trying to take advantage of people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Resolution response: Nov. 28, 2017

I was subsequently asked to rate my customer service experience. After giving a poor rating and explaining why, I was contacted by Blue Apron and they provided a full refund for the entire meal kit. I consider this a complete resolution of the problem.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Tried two weeks of Blue Apron meal plan. First week the recipes were average. Second week, received ingredients for 3 meals, 2 of which did not match the recipes that were sent. Tried to contact customer service to get recipes - called at 6:05 pm on a Wed. Received voice mail that they closed at 6:00. Tried to find recipes that matched ingredients online, could not find them anywhere. So, called again and left message, and also emailed. No return call, but did finally hear back from customer service via email 5 days later, when I was offered the missing recipes. By the time I was finally able to try and prepare the meal, the food was at seven days old, not including transport time (received box on a Monday - finally heard back from customer service Sunday) – questionably edible. No offer for reimbursement for the two meals which could not be prepared. Have cancelled my account and will not reorder.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

The wrong recipe was sent. In response, instead of issuing a refund, I was given a credit for a future purchase that will go unused as I already closed my account. The only way to cancel your account is to contact customer service and have them e-mail you the instructions. I canceled my account on the 15th, but it did not cancel right away but instead, I still received 2 additional packages. You can only skip these if you have an active account. The person on the phone was not helpful at all and just sat there offering no solutions.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

A cheeseburger recipe was missing the ground beef, and the customer service representative only offered me Blue Apron credit. I had already canceled my account because the cost of the food ($70/week for family plan of 2 meals) was excessive given the quality. One of the "recipes" for a side dish was broccoli roasted in the oven with olive oil (provided by me). Paying $70/week to get broccoli in the mail seems a bit much. Anyway, I emailed regarding the missing ground beef and the customer service representative refused to offer me a direct refund, saying that I can only get a $35 credit for my next order if I reactivate my account.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I tried out a free box back in August and was really impressed. So I've been ordering for 4 months now and average about 2 boxes per month, about every other week. Things were fine until last week when I had incorrect knick knack bags for 2 of the 3 meals. I wasn't happy so I sent an email through their website. About a day later I wasn't contacted so I called them. I was surprised that they can't send out missing bags and only offered a measly 10 bucks off the next order. And that presumes I'm going to order from them again.

I reconsidered and called back the next day and demanded money back for 2 orders since I'd been a customer for a while. They agreed. So that made me feel a little better about the inconvenience of having to hunt down several missing ingredients. Sadly, my very next box is missing scallions for one of the 3 meals. Obviously not a huge deal but it makes me worried about their attention to detail lately. You'd think a $60 box of food going across the country would be double or triple checked. Time will tell if they can improve.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We have been doing the home delivery menu trials from various businesses, and this has been the worse. We had 2 dinners that required garlic and it was not sent. All three meals had side dishes that had us cut up a big vegetable and put on a pan with olive oil and throw It in the oven. Really? If you haven’t tried any of the other delivery menu services then give them a try. All have been better than Blue Apron.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

There were some irritations, which I discuss below, but the reason I had to cancel was on one shipment, the beef for one meal was missing. Then the bag of small ingredients for one meal was missing on another. I got a credit for the missing beef. But the missing bag, I did not care anymore. Minor stuff: Some of the packaging is awkward. Some liquids come in cardboard envelopes that require the top to be torn off, and are hard to handle. The recipes sometimes call for half a liquid. This requires the liquid to be poured out and measured. Not a crisis, but the ads say "pre-measured" ingredients.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We have been receiving Blue Apron for several weeks. The food product quality is great BUT they cannot delivery their product as they promise. In over 12 weeks/deliveries we have received our order on the day and time frame promised only three times. They CANNOT get their product to their customers on time and don't seem to be able to correct the problem when it is brought to their attention.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I've been using Blue Apron for the last 5 months and am so happy with the service, ingredients, and variety of the meals. Their customer service is very responsive as well. One time, one item leaked in the box and I received a credit right away. Very easy to freeze your account if you'll be away for the week. Would definitely recommend.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

This is my 3rd week and so far I’m pleased. All the meat and produce arrived cold and very fresh. Recipes are easy to prepare and delicious. I am not a very good cook and tend to eat out too much. I found I struggled to come up with interesting meals and often I didn’t have the ingredients on hand that I needed. For me, this is perfect. I know 3 meals are set for the week and I can deal with the rest.

My meals are delivered by LaserShip to my porch. The delivery time varies and my second shipment missed by one day (Late ship from BA.). It arrived in perfect condition though. I hope it won’t happen often. All the meals I would rate either very good or excellent. I had one that was just okay. If I was a better cook I might have been able to spice it up and save it. I’ll learn which meals suit best as time goes on (You can read the comments and find hints from other cooks). Plan ahead! You can look at upcoming shipments in advance. Go in and change any meal you don’t like to something you do. Don’t wait to the last minute and risk forgetting. I can get excited about things I really want but not about something I don’t. Almost 5 stars.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I definitely recommend Blue Apron food delivery service! The food was always fresh with outstanding dishes. I had to cancel for a short period of time which was a simple process! I'll definitely be returning soon.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

My wife and I both work. We don't mind cooking but dislike the time it takes for menu planning and shopping. Blue Apron has stepped in to do all that for us. You provide the salt, pepper and oil. They send the rest to you fresh. Their recipes are fresh and flavorful. Portions are always more than we can eat in one sitting and suitable for leftovers. They even send small portions of fresh herbs like thyme, parsley and cilantro in tiny airtight packs to preserve the flavor. If you enjoy good food but cannot spare the time it takes to shop, try it.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Blue Apron is going down. They ALWAYS get into the shipping issues and failing their business down. I joined Blue Apron 1 month ago and have not received any of my meals until now due to their delivery issue. Not sure what to do when you dealing with unreliable company and they are dealing with one of element stuff in my life, my meal. They don't even want to hear/talk to me anymore... I have sent numerous email messages, phone calls, yet no one has responded. They is no management in Blue Apron.

A group of some energetic chefs might started this business with enthusiasm but they might don't know how to manage their business. A service I received them is unacceptable from every perspective. BLUE APRON really SUCKS/ESPECIALLY - their CUSTOMER SERVICE. Online based service must be equipped with better CS, just like Amazon. I bet they will shut their business down soon if they don't change something.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

This is a warning to anyone thinking of order Blue Apron. I have been ordering from them for a few months, I liked their food, even if it took me a couple hours to make each one. The last order I got I received rotten chicken. It made my entire kitchen smell like rotten eggs. When I called customer support they claimed the rotten chicken wasn't their fault, then refused to refund my credit card. The customer support manager said they are not able to refund partial orders. He said the most they were able to do is credit the $19.98 to my account for my next order.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm uneasy ordering food from a company that is ok with sending their customers rotten chicken. I asked the manager if he would credit back the entire order if the company's system wasn't capable of refunding just half. He said that was against their policy. As a customer service rep myself, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I asked him if customer satisfaction was an important part of their business, he continued to state there was nothing else he could do for me, but would be happy to cancel my account with them. Bottom line, Blue Apron doesn't care about their customers satisfaction, or apparently their ingredient freshness guarantee either.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I subscribed and received spoiled food in every single box. I finally cancelled my account. I asked for compensation for spoiled food in my last box. They offered me a $5 credit in case I would re-subscribe. This is not a solution! I cancelled the subscription, I want a refund for spoiled food. I am not in the need of a credit since I am no longer a customer. I have switched to Hello Fresh and, so far, that has been a smoother process with better food.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

10/8/17 After loving our Blue Apron service, we needed to cancel. We were directed via email to visit https://blueapron.com/cancel_subscription. This simply led us to our account settings with no cancellation option. We sent a second email to cancellations@blueapron.com to inform Blue Apron that any charges to our account after October 9, 2017 would be considered fraud and our emails are proof of notification of cancellation. We will also put a stop in our account at the bank for the recurring charges. Very fraudulent practices in this day and age.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I made an account just to post this. If I could rate zero stars I would. I used a $30 promo for a $30 order. The total was $0. I emailed because the promo was not applied and $30 was taken from my account. I requested a refund and the account cancelled. Customer service did not do either of these but instead sent me an email saying my total was $30. Today, another $60 was TAKEN from my account without authorization. I AM FURIOUS!! GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!! You have now charged me $90 for a freebie. This is ridiculous. I enjoyed the product. But, unless you process a full refund, I will actively tell everyone I meet not ever to use Blue Apron. My next step is to contact the BBB or the Arizona Attorney General to investigate this.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My second delivery was never received but they took my money. They have no customer service hours convenient for people who work. I got an email 2 days before my shipment was to arrive saying it was delayed. No further communication & no product. Now they're set to charge me again because I couldn't reach anyone to help. Yet my neighbor across the hall got her delivery on time. Not thrilled when a company takes my money but can't follow through on its promise or offer solutions. Account canceled. Will never do business again. They are a RIP off.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I have been ordering from Blue Apron for over a year now and let me first start by saying that their customer service is superb! They go above and beyond when it comes to satisfying their customers. The meals have been delicious and the ingredients are always very high quality and fresh. Recently made one of their beef meals and the beef was the leanest, most tender beef I have ever had. It's so nice to be able to pick and choose which weeks I would like to order ahead of time and not be locked into every week. I just can't say enough about how much I love Blue Apron!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I was happy with the food. However when I canceled through the support on the site they never did it... Instead starting me back up without my knowledge. I received an email stating they were shipping me my next order. I immediately responded, "No, I have canceled my membership." They then said, "Too bad. We are charging you." Even after multiple emails explaining... They still STOLE MY MONEY!!! DONT USE BLUE APRON!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

We got the discounted 1st time box. I love it. The products are fresh, arrive in cooled box (that can be recycled by returning them to the company). The food & recipes have been great & it gives us something different to eat that is health. I have not had to cancel or alter my order so I don't know if that will be problem however the app seems pretty straightforward & gives me lots of choices. I didn't see that this was more expensive than other services - comes to about $10 per person per meal. Not so bad & what I like is that everything is there - I don't have to go buy it!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

We've had several orders with Blue Apron and it would be 50/50 when it came to problems with an order. Rotten produce, something getting smashed and leaking, wrong seasonings, and missing recipe cards were the main problem. Their customer service is very slow to respond and when they do, your account gets credited a very small amount. Would be nice if they sent replacement knickknacks instead of refunding that small amount, as some of the ingredients are really hard to find and the recipe tastes bad without them.

I don't buy a meal subscription box to have to go grocery shopping again. Use Blue Apron at your own risk. It will probably be good for a few times then you'll start seeing problems. Unfortunately cancelling isn't easy either. You have to email them (which is really unacceptable as almost any other reputable subscription lets you cancel online.). We will be trying Hello Fresh instead.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Blue Apron sends out packaging with zero regard to the environment. The bubble wrap coated with aluminum foil is non-recyclable. The big plastic freezer bags (you'll get 104 of them a year) of leaky, gooey solution (sodium polymethacrylate) can't be recycled either. Nor should they be carried away to the landfill. Empty the liquid into the sink and you may clog your drains. Blue Apron is filling our landfills with plastic freezer bags on an industrial scale. Blue Apron's image of being environmentally friendly is just that: image. Please think again before using Blue Apron.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

It is like a trap when you enroll. You can't cancel on the website. You can't delete your credit card. You have to go down this email rabbit hole and then they still charge for a shipment a week away!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I signed up for the service on Monday of last week (18th of Sept 2017). I requested the three meal service to come to me by Friday, initially, but then I rescheduled for Wed delivery (20th of Sept, 2017). However, I still received the meals on Friday (22nd of Sept 2017). I was charged a discounted rate of some $29 for those first three meals, as a new customer, but soon thereafter, I was immediately thereafter charged $59 for next week's meals. I did not know that I had to "skip" the next week's meals in order to not get charged my weekly subscription charge of $59 (based on my choice of subscription). I spoke with a Brian (manager) and Jasmine who both said that I should have "skipped" the next meal of service and the $59 would not be refunded. Here are my issues with that.

I was not made aware that I, immediately needed to skip next meals of service based on my subscription I had initially chosen, in order to not be charged the $59. I am a new customer, and as such, I should have been given the benefit of the doubt that I did not know that I needed to skip the next week's meals. On a call after I had signed up, I spoke with someone who told me that I would only be charged based on meals delivered, NOT as a weekly subscription charge as Jamie told me. Seems to me there is conflicting information delivered over the phone, even though Brian indicated that the website indicates there was enough disclosure to skip the meals.

I had a very short window to skip the meals. Having first signed up on a Monday, 18th of Sept, I did not have enough time to make a decision to "skip" next week's service. If 6 days is the normal policy, then technically, I needed to both sign up for, and then skip the following week's service. How could I do that? Even if I were aware to do that (and I was not, I assure you), my window was EXTREMELY short! I needed to do that on that same Monday I signed up! Furthermore, assuming a person such as myself knew to cancel, how could any reasonable person make a decision without having first testing out the product as a new customer? As a new customer, this is NOT the way to win and retain new business. You gained $59. But you lost a customer for life. This review will go to Google. And will go to the state's attorney general's complaint file both with the states of Texas & New York. Have a good day. Good luck (you will need it).

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

We are longtime customers of "Home Chef". Because of the good deal that Blue Apron gives with the first order, we decided to try it out in comparison to what we were receiving with Home Chef. Our first delivery wasn't impressive. Produce is packed in brown paper bags. (Does someone need to tell them that brown paper bags ripen vegetables/fruits faster?) The produce was not fresh. The peppers were already wrinkled, and the tomatoes were overripe, soft and unable to cut without smashing them.

I called customer service and complained. I told them I would give them one more try (one more delivery), just to see if it was a fluke, and I got a bad delivery. The 2nd delivery came a couple of days ago, and it's the same thing... wrinkled, soft vegetables that are not fresh. This time when I called, I was told that a refund could not be made, so I canceled the service, which I would have done regardless. Home Chef is a much better service, better value for your money and their produce/meat is very fresh. If anything, Blue Apron proved to us what a good deal we are getting from Home Chef.

Blue Apron expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.

• Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.

• Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.

• Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.

• Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.

• Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, those interested in expanding their cooking skills and wine lovers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs