2.55/5

229 Blue Apron Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Blue Apron included one salmon fillet in their box; however on the ingredients card it said 2 salmon fillets. This seems like a trivial issue but the salmon is the main ingredient for the meal and so it feels very disappointing thinking you will receive two and only have one. This is the review I wrote to them: "It’s understandable if you’re only going to include one fillet for freshness reasons but unacceptable to give the disappointment of feeling ** on the most important part of the meal. The pictures on the ingredient card look like it's two fillets the size of the one I received, the length of the fish is basically the size of a dinner plate. The size is deceptively large and caused clearly unrealistic expectations on my part for y'alls ability to deliver 2 decently sized fillets. Seriously, how hard would it have been to include a instruction to cut the fish in half before serving and having 1 fillet in the ingredients section, seems like a major oversight...

"Additionally, you never include olive oil in your baskets which is a terrible mistake considering how expensive it is and how much your recipes call for it (drizzle this in olive oil, drizzle that in olive oil). You have to buy a fairly large bottle from a grocer instead of being able to make a full meal with all the ingredients like your advertising would lead a gullible consumer like my self to believe. Plus, when we first got the basket we thought we'd be able to cook it that night, find no olive oil. Now we have to wait till we go pick some up to cook. Also your meals never have enough sauce or sauce ingredients which greatly reduces the value of them and makes them horrible leftovers and essentially impossible to reheat and enjoy. Only good thing was quick delivery and fresh ingredients.

"For these reasons I will not be renewing my relationship after this week's deliveries. I only joined because of the discount for the first two weeks but paying full price would be the biggest rip-off ever. Good customer acquisition technique but you just offer absolutely nothing for retention proving that I'm probably not the only person who feels this way. I enjoy cooking but did not enjoy cooking with you."

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I am fairly new to Blue Apron, but so far I have found most of the meals to be absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, I just received a badly damaged box (obviously the fault of the carrier), for which I was given a full refund from Blue Apron. I had trouble submitting pictures through the Blue Apron app, but I called a customer service representative (less than a minute wait) and sent the pictures directly to him. The meal preparation takes me a little longer than the times listed on the recipe sheets, but it is probably accurate for an experienced cook. I pay with Blue Apron gift cards purchased at Costco, which reduces the cost by 20%.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

As a busy working Mom of 2 teens, I wanted the convenience of having ready-to-make meals delivered to my door. Tried Home Chef for a few months first -- liked it -- then decided to give Blue Apron our business. We've been getting weekly shipments from them for about the past 3 months. At first, we were THRILLED. The selections were a little more 'exotic' (to our midwestern palates) and contained foods we weren't familiar with. The first month, everything was EXCELLENT. Then we started to notice some little changes...the produce didn't look as fresh...the box was poorly packed leading to damage and leaks.

Then, on a Friday in August when it was nearly 90 degrees, I got home from work eager to unpack that week's meals. There were only TWO ice packs in the box -- both were melted -- the produce was soggy and the meats were room temperature. I was VERY disappointed -- had to throw out the entire shipment!!! I called Blue Apron, and they immediately credited the entire order to my account.

The next week, my shipment arrived...and several pieces of produce were damaged. Again, I complained -- and received a partial credit for one meal. Things seemed okay for the next few weeks (though a couple of times I questioned whether I was getting the meals I ordered. I KNOW I ordered the 'Bob's Burger' hamburgers, but got some stupid fish dish instead). The quality (& selection) of the meals had definitely gone downhill -- how much miso ANYTHING can one family stomach??

The last straw was the box I received this past week. The container of tomatoes was open and they were all over the box -- squished!! (But, somehow, that container managed to turn itself upright AND snap its own lid back on!!) All 4 of the cucumbers in the package were snapped in half and WAY overripe -- they were translucent when I chopped them. In the garbage they went. So we were left with some gross looking kale (browned edges and little black spots all over the root) -- and these horrible pre-made "beef dumplings" (which had almost NO beef in them). They were disgusting.

I messaged Blue Apron about the issues -- and to cancel my account. I requested that the remaining credit on my account ($38) be refunded to me, since it was for food that was spoiled and thrown away. THEY REFUSED. Instead, the "customer service" person offered to throw another $20 in credit onto my account. Uh...NO. SO we're going back to Home Chef. Hoping they don't go the way of Blue Apron (and every internet/cable provider out there): put your best foot forward for the new customers, but offer NO perks to the loyal ones. As anyone with half a brain can tell you: that is no way to run a business.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We are a husband/wife in our 70’s... married 50 plus years and bored with cooking... What a great deal BA is for us. We mix our cocktails and both of us participate in the prep and cooking. We have never had anything bad. Yes a few we would not reorder, not BA problem, we just chose wrong. We love picking the 2 meals for the week... Love love love it!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

The food is good if it ever shows up. Ordered 3 times. 2 times it was a day late, and the 3rd time it just never showed up. They use a crap delivery company that lies. I guess they just love to let food spoil.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I did not like at all the tremendous amount of waste created with every delivery. That was enough for me to stop Blue Apron deliveries. I might consider another service but I could not justify the amount of unrecyclable waste.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I liked food being delivered and everything being in the box so you did not have to worry about missing an ingredient. The recipes were good. I actually liked every meal. The cards that have the recipes are easy to follow and some of the food is portioned out so that is easy!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Home Chef provided a unique opportunity to try different meals and was very convenient. Their directions were easy to follow and the premeasured containers allowed for quick meals. Delivery was on time and well packaged. Meals were exact to the serving however did not leave much for leftovers, which can be a blessing and a curse. Good company and good service.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

The food was good and had plenty of options. It’s great if you don’t have the time to shop and think about what to cook. It still requires some amount of meal prep which makes it expensive and time consuming.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We loved it all, except unable to pick the recipes we wanted delivered, as some of the pre-selected recipes weren't anything my family would eat ~ other than that, the recipes were awesome, we learned how to prepare some amazing new healthy meals.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

We have had ZERO problems with Blue Apron. Our box arrives every Thursday without fail. It always includes the meals we ordered and all ingredients for those meals. Prep times on recipes seem accurate, and recipes are clear. We do like some recipes more than others, but we have not DISliked any of them. My wife and I have been really happy with it.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Blue Apron was nutrient efficient and included fresh ingredients. The shipping was simple and was always on time and delivered in good condition. The satisfaction of the taste of the meal has always been the same, great!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I have found that on several occasions Blue Apron has left out a key ingredient. When I complain they will usually discount the bill. Their quality control on packing could be better but the food is usually wonderful.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The quality of the meats and vegetables is excellent. They use local produce and grass-fed beef. The meals are varied and there is an option of skipping a week delivery. Instructions are easy to follow.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

The veggies were fresh, but all dumped in a paper bag for customer was just too much. Also tried HelloFresh and they packed everything separate and easy to locate. And Hello Fresh was much taste.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Great customer service. The meal selections were great and the meals were good. My main complaint was that most everything was fried and meal preparation took too long. Also, cost was way too high.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Great choices and everything arrives fresh even in the heat of summer. Can’t compare to other services but Blue Apron is very good. Lastly, if you wish to skip a week or many because you are vacationing or just don’t feel like cooking, it’s just a click and no one forces you to purchase what you don’t need or want.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We thought the service was fine however, we did not enjoy the recipes. If you are not that fussy about the fresh produce this might be for you ie; if you are the shopper that looks over each carrot, tomato, cucumber. I also, do not like the idea of using all the ice packs and boxing which they do need for shipping.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

The ingredients are fresh, the recipes easy to follow and the pre-portion ingredients make it quick and simple to prepare... usually 30-60 minutes from start to table. I would like to see an ability to order 2 of the same meal if I like one and not the others. I like that you can skip deliveries if you don't like any of the menus or if you will be out of town.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Everything was so fresh and nicely put together. Easy to read recipe cards. Quick delivery. The meals were very tasty and simple to follow recipe cards make it a enjoyable experience preparing a lovely meal. I will recommend this service to all my family and friends.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

The boxes are good because everything is in one box. Many of them require too much chopping. I’ve had to chop 45 to 1 hour to make dinner. Defeats purpose of the box. Most taste good, Martha Stewart are the best value, more food for the money.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I didn't like the lack of choices or the difficulty level of the recipes. Coming from someone who doesn't like to cook, I like super easy meals that can be put together rather quickly. Once I could get the recipe finished, I loved the meal, it was just frustrated making it.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

It took much longer to prepare the meals than they said. Although the meals were good, it was more work than I expected. Everything was well labeled, color coded and easy to get ready for preparation.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Sometimes do not include all items, or recipes are confusing. We live at 5300 ft so sometimes things do not ship well. Overall quality of ingredients excellent. Love the summer grilling ideas. Can't always keep up to date with shipments (don't need shipment every week). Customer service helpful.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I’ve had no problems that were not resolved immediately and those occurred in the initial delivery period. I’ve even called to cancel after the change date and had no problem. There are many choices each week. The fresh pastas are particularly good. I’ve probably only had 3 meals in over 2 years that I didn’t care for. I’ve enjoyed new dishes that took me out of the rut. I began the service after my husband died. I didn’t feel like cooking for one person, but Blue Apron has made it interesting, yet easy with their international cuisine. My only complaint is sometimes the vegetables become repetitive. Overall I’m pleased with the quality and quantity (sometimes it’s 3 meals in one for me).

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

There are several meal types such as vegetarian, meals with or without fish, chicken, beef, pork, lamb. Food is very fresh. Portion sizes are great. The recipes are so easy to follow with excellent demonstrations along the way. Everything needed to prepare the meals right down to oils and spices is included! Great alternative to planning, shopping, and prep!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I enjoyed the BA menus but I was usually the last house for FedEx delivery and they would often keep the meals unrefrigerated overnight and try to deliver them the next day. BA had no protection against in-transit food spoilage or delivery failure except to refund money. The meals were fairly adventurous and I learned a lot of new cooking techniques. But it was obvious that cost control pressure was forcing the menus more and more toward "safe" bland options such as burgers.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Like most of these new meal delivery services they are highly overrated selling you food marked up 300 & 400%. You are much better off buying your food from grocery stores. The ignorance of today's consumer is unbelievable but I suppose that's how these companies make their money.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

It was a lot of fun to get the different ingredients and recipes then put it together. They always deliver fresh ingredients. The delivery process was on spot. The cost was reasonable when you consider going out to eat.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have used Blue Apron on and off for a year. Very good and reliable! Wish they have better vegetarian recipes. A little expensive for the portions you get. Good quality of products and spices. A great option when looking what to cook different.

Blue Apron expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.

• Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.

• Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.

• Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.

• Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.

• Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, those interested in expanding their cooking skills and wine lovers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs