2.45/5

283 Blue Apron Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have twin 6 year old boys, a 14 year old boy (5'10") along with myself and my husband. The meals for 4 feed all of us, not for long I am sure as my little ones grow. We enjoy taking turns cooking the dinners that feel restaurant quality. I don't have to come up with dinner ideas and I don't randomly buy vegetables and meat to wind up doing nothing with them and off to the trash they go. The other nights of the week I don't feel bad making grilled cheese or grabbing a pizza because the other nights they are having fairly healthy, home cooked dinners.

To make these meals myself I would be buying all sorts of ingredients from condiments, to spices and so on. I feel I am saving money because I am not wasting money on food we don't cook or eat and I don't need all the extra ingredients plus we aren't eating out because these dinners are so good and easy. My husband has little cooking experience and does well with these. The instructions are so easy. The ingredients are sometimes something new or a mix of. I used the service before and had zero trouble canceling when I was going through a move. They were quite friendly and canceled through email.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Blue Apron is one of the easiest, most enjoyable cooking experiences. The food is delicious, fun, different, and creative. I absolutely LOVE it. With that being said, the website on the other hand will single-handedly ruin their business for the several reasons. I'm actually sincerely hoping they hire a tech genius to revamp it because I truly do love the product. Blue Apron if you're reading this- this is what needs to be changed.

1) When you initially sign up the website won't accept an apartment number. We live in a giant apartment building right outside NYC and we had to call customer service to override it and they had to enter our apartment number manually. 2) I currently have a "total credit" however I was unable to use my total credit to the meal and only $27 dollars of my credit applied, the rest was charged to my credit card. Allow our credits to be used similarly to a gift card. 3) Let us order a la carte! I am a busy doctor, my schedule changes every single week. Blue Apron is a blessing to my busy weeks, let me choose the meals, how many, and when. With that being said, I am a loyal Blue Apron customer and love the product. Definitely recommend trying it out if you're on the fence.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My brother who lives in California sends the meals to us in Dayton, Ohio. My Mom is on Hospice Care in the house and that is one of contribution to helping. He sends meals for her and my other brother who lives in the house with her. I usually come over to my mom's house daily to help take care of her, and I'm the one who cooks her meals. I must say it is a joy to have a few meals during the week that are already portioned out, with the food included the seasoning are awesome and I've learned a lot about some of the recipes I never heard of.

I'm grateful for Blue Apron, I love the concept, the quality of the ingredients. Only a couple times some of the produce was not as fresh as it should be (Persian cucumber). I love them, keep up the good work. I always share the meals on my Facebook page, and take a picture of whatever I fixed. Today I will be making the Beef & Broccoli in Cumin-Spiced Sauce, I'll have to look up some of these items but that is the excitement of something new.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I cannot believe all the negative reviews about Blue Apron out here. My husband and I are foodies. Blue Apron is for foodies. If you want a quick, easy, predictable meal, go elsewhere. If it is all about "health" for you, go elsewhere - their meals are certainly healthy and moderate in calories, but that is not their defining quality. What defines them is interesting, unique and excellent tasting meals with fresh ingredients. We have had no problems with freshness, and I sense that some people may live in areas where delivery services are inferior. We get FedEx deliveries on time and there have been no problems in our shipments except when storms hit the east coast, then they have been delayed and the company does an excellent job updating us via email.

If you are not a foodie, do not do Blue Apron!! It takes time to make, they use unusual ingredients, and yes, they may put broccoli in a Mexican dish. Why not?! - one of the joys of cooking is experimenting. Their chefs know how to nuance flavors, their flavors are not one note and you will have a lot of fun if you can be open to the experience. If Blue Apron goes away because of all the haters, then it will be a loss for my husband and me. Dinnertime is a joy because of Blue Apron and frankly, I have no intention of eating food kits offered by Walmart or Kroger's who will likely dumb down the meal kit cooking and eating experience if they have not already.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I am amazed at the number of single stars given to Blue Apron. There must be truth in the saying "only the disgruntled rate". I've been a customer for over a year and have tried other similar services and Blue Apron comes out on top every time by a long shot. Reasons... Free box to first time customers - I was blown away by the quality when I opened the box - that's what hooked me. Recipes are restaurant quality. Food is consistently top quality. Variety and unusual ingredients has expanded my knowledge and I hate cooking. Any problems are dealt with immediately and customer service is responsive within hours. The price is excellent - especially when their competitors are the same and offer an inferior product. Serving size for 2 actually serves 3 and could even stretch to 4 if you add some of your own ingredients.

Cons - the meals take time to cook. Depending on your life situation this may not be a good fit - especially if you're the sole chef without kid, spouse or roommate helpers. The fun is in the prep - cooking - discussion and vino. It's become a ritual in our home. I can't stress enough how great this company is. It makes me sad that they changed their packaging from paper to plastic to match the Home Chef brand. Home Chef's meals are simpleton and can be prepared and cooked in 30 minutes but are nothing special.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: May 20, 2019

I have tried almost all of the meal kits with the exception of Martha Stewart’s or PeachDish. I have tried Plated, HelloFresh, Home Chef, Sun Basket and one other based out of Los Angeles whose name escapes me now. Blue Apron far and away my favorite. Their recipes are Always changing and consistently delicious AND the calories are not outrageous. You can even opt for the Weight Watchers menu. I do wish they would make it so you can order off both completely however. Maybe in due time. Their customer service is second to none. I rank it up there with Nordstrom’s and Costco!! I will forever be a customer.

Original review: May 14, 2019

We have had over a hundred meal kits delivered by BA. Occasionally we have tried the others. BA wins on taste, quality and price. Their packaging is excellent. Ingredients are fresh and the spices are great. They don't charge extra for shrimp or meat. They provide as much spice as you may like. Overall 5 stars. They make life easier when you live in rural America with limited shopping. They may not be the cheapest, but as always you get excellent value.

Original review: May 12, 2019

A friend gave us a free trial. I was careful when ordering not to sign up for anything but the free trial, but they did insist on credit card information before proceeding. We received the food from the free trial, but then began to receive additional packages and found that our card had already been charged. Since we freely gave out our number, there is nothing we can do about it. We spent one week's worth of our food budget for 4 meals, unfortunately.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Was borderline considering canceling due to how Blue Apron locks in your recipe days early and charges. Then when I found out I have to email the company "to receive instructions on how to cancel," I knew I would absolutely get away from Blue Apron. Then, the instructions in the email didn't work ("click the manage status link then follow the cancellation instructions - there were none"). They provided a secondary link if for some reason the instructions didn't work. Fortunately, this did work. However, although it is 5 days prior to my next delivery and I am allowed to make changes to my next upcoming recipe shipment, I get a notification stating "your final delivery scheduled for Saturday, May 11th has already been processed and cannot be changed." Do not use this company. They are scam artists!

Original review: April 20, 2019

This was my first meal delivery service. Friends had recommended another company but I wanted to try Blue Apron because of the WW Points meals. If you are a member of Weight Watchers the idea of cooking something that has already been points-calculated is attractive. In the two instances I tried beef recipes, the shaved beef was grizzly and inedible. I learned that when I ordered recipes with bokchoy or cabbage I had to repackage the vegetables, otherwise they quickly "turned." As far as recipe selection, when I chose a menu with a lower points selection, the ingredients became repetitive. Finally, I learned that if you are on the WW Points program, you have to watch out for meals with ingredients that you want to limit. For example if the recipe uses sweet potatoes, the ingredients shipped may produce more than the serving you desire.

Original review: April 20, 2019

My friend gave me the two free meals with Blue Apron. I did not ask for any more to be sent. Today, I received 2 meals at a cost of $48 plus shipping. Two meals I would never order, let alone eat. No advance notice they were shipping, just an email that the box was shipped, of course, after hours and nothing I could do about it. Navigating the website to cancel was near impossible.

Original review: April 19, 2019

My wife and I had tried Blue Apron about a year and a half ago and found the meals interesting and tasty. We had to stop the service for that ensuing year and a half - not due to dissatisfaction with Blue Apron. A few weeks ago we restarted the service and found the meals to lack any flavor at all. And a couple of the meals lacked ingredients, for which Blue Apron gave us a small credit. Preparation remained easy, delivery was ok and customer service was acceptable. But the lack of flavor for all but one of the twelve meals we used made them virtually unpalatable... We cancelled.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I tried the WW meal(s) for myself and husband. I joined through FB, and with a $60.00 credit to try. The pictures on their website looked good and yummy. There was no problem with the delivery, and everything was packed in Gel-cold packs. I was like a kid in the candy store, and was excited to unpack. The recipe cards are larger and easy to read. I prepared the Alaska Pollock w/ caper yogurt, and side wild rice. I noticed that the fish was sticky/slime. This meal also had fresh broccoli which you fold into the rice. Everything went well until we tasted it. The fish had no taste, and the rice was bland. My husband looked at me, and pushed it away from his sight. I chuckled and said..."I understand, it was tasteless." The other two meats, chicken and pork chop also wasn't the best cut. I'll stick to preparing a meal from the Weight Watcher app. Sorry but giving this a thumb-down. **No problem cancelling membership.

Original review: April 16, 2019

We started getting Blue Apron because we lived too far away from a grocery store to get groceries frequently and this was cutting into our delivery bill substantially. The sign-up process is super easy, and selecting your meals is a breeze, the only thing I wish they would add, is an email notification reminding you to select your dishes once they posted. The food always came fresh and in full, I never had any issues with missing or expired items or any types of billing issues. I have and would recommend Blue Apron to my friends and family. The only caveat I would say is if you're a picky eater this service might not be for you because there is a limited number of options (usually around 6-7) to choose from. Although I like this because I am not a picky eater and I love to try new things, I could easily see someone else hating it for that reason.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I never received my delivery in February and therefore disputed the charge with my credit card company. Blue Apron disagreed that I did not receive my delivery and credit card company reinstated the charge. After all said and done I received an email from Blue Apron indicating that they received notice from their shipping company that my shipment was never delivered and therefore I would be receiving a refund. After contacting Blue Apron again about the refund all they said was for me to deal with credit card company. Very poor customer service. My recommendation would be a avoid doing business with this company.

Original review: April 9, 2019

My wife and I have been Blue Apron customers for years but recently they've cut back on shipping and packaging. I assume to save money. Today's box arrived and everything is saturated in the melted synthetic ice water from the leaking ice pack (singular). Everything is covered in the melted liquid slime. If this was an isolated incident I'd forgive it. In fact, I did just a few shipments ago. Then 2 shipments ago I'd had enough of the shoddy packing and complained. They refunded the cost and told us to throw everything out. Today was even worse than the previous shipments. If you're considering Blue Apron you've missed the good days. They're not long for this world. Try another service. Blue Apron was once good but they've failed.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I was excited to receive my first box. I was very disappointed. The recipes looked lovely, vegetables seemed to be fresh. When it arrived the ice gel bag was leaking and after unpacking and rinsing everything we decided to cook. Upon opening the beef, we found it to be green tinged and gross. I immediately contacted Blue Apron. After 3 emails with Kennedy in customer service and the promise of social media reviews I was finally told they would refund me. I understand things happen in shipping, but bad customer service only makes it worse. We cancelled our subscription without ever getting to make first meal.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Let's start with the positives... The food is good...not delicious but good. That is where the positives end. Negatives: Unfriendly website for users, recipes often too long to prepare or too much prep during a busy work week so food will go to waste, inaccurate packing of boxes for recipes, less than desirable freshness. EXTREMELY difficult to cancel your subscription. First you have to search the help menu on how to cancel, then they give you an email address in which you must email in order to cancel. A day later, an email will come and explain how to cancel your box (in the meantime usually you have received another box).

The initial email does not cancel your account even though that is why you emailed in the first place. You must then sign into your account and follow the appropriate steps to cancel....oops during that time ANOTHER box is sent out. During cancellation process, a pushy salesman that won't take "no" for an answer, will call you and ask you tons of questions as to why you are leaving (super frustrating and aggravating). Total scam!!

Original review: March 24, 2019

I was offered a free box to try. I was told it would arrive Friday. I found it at my door Saturday morning. Early Sunday I see my credit card is charged for another box to arrive the next Friday. I didn’t order it. I didn’t pick the meals. Actually I had yet to even try the “free” box. I tried to delay shipment of this next box so I could at least try the free one. PROCESSING. It told me. Meaning I could not change anything. So then I decided this is not the kind of company I cared to deal with at all. Very tricky. So beware. Even though they say FREE box. They will at least get you for the next week which they will charge you for. I always think of how many other people - elderly, compromised, maybe just busy human beings - who get caught in their scam. Not for me. Too many other ethical companies doing this same thing to support. Not Blue Apron.

Original review: March 22, 2019

First the price: eating alone or as a couple makes it fair, as far as price goes. Cheaper than eating out but not as cheap as the grocery store. Even though a few choices are fairly complicated and unfamiliar, most are good choices. The recipes are wonderfully illustrated and have easy to follow instructions for those who don't have a clue how to cook. One even explains the difference between chopping and dicing. The ones with beef are way overrated though. The choice of beef leaves much to be desired. The problem comes with the packaging for delivery and the delivery itself.

When I ordered some, it was August and I worked until ten o'clock at night. My front step faced west, and their packaging is in cardboard boxes with giant ice cube type of things. That is asking for disaster. I would not even unpackage mine. I called them for an immediate return, which they did very nicely. if they ever come up with a better way to package and ship, I will definitely try them again but I sure am not going to chance food spoilage and poisoning because they don't value things like foods sitting there, getting too hot.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Three out of three orders have been messed up. One of my orders didn't even arrive! The other two arrived 2-3 days late, which really messed with my weekly meal planning. Some veggies had frozen, making them unusable. Customer service credited my account in all cases, however the hoop jumping required to get the credits was very stressful, even if it is a "1st world problem".

Customer service gives the illusion of being helpful but if you've dealt with them multiple times, you figure out that they read from a script and can't actually help with anything besides making you try Blue Apron again. I even asked to use my credit in the Blue Apron store or to get the remaining balance as a gift card for someone else, but they flat out said no. Meals are just ok and if you know how to cook even a little, would be easier & cheaper to buy from the grocery store. Website is basic & minimal yet confusing (how'd they manage that?!). Once my credit is used, I won't be a returning customer. Overall, Blue Apron pretty much sucks and we were so NOT impressed.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I have subscribed to Blue Apron for almost a year. It's easy to skip weeks and months when I need to. I never have had any issues with missing ingredients or freshness. Every delivery has come in on time and in perfect shape. Some meals are a little more complicated but always extremely delicious. Yes they are a little expensive but as a bachelor it's nice to have step by step and an almost dummy proof instructions. I tried HelloFresh as a comparison recently, although very good as well, I find I enjoy Blue Apron meals more.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Very pleased with the survey. I think it is a good thing to do and how you do it. Thanks a lot for doing the things you do and the way you do it. I am pleased with the resolution of the way it is done. The Blue Apron is a good way to teach how to prepare food and display it and interact with people.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

While I think that some of their menu items may be a little complicated to cook, you sometimes don’t have the time, they do offer a nice variety though. I had to cancel my subscription and I cannot believe that this company charges 37.00 to cancel subscription, that’s ridiculous and absurd. Beware of this before you sign up.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I started with Blue Apron due to promotional discount. The first delivery was apparently delayed. Shipper shows it was destroyed. Blue Apron sent me email saying another box would be shipped out. It wasn't. Second delivery, shows delivered, but no box. I get packages from Amazon several times a month with no issue. So, I don't think it was taken. I've contacted them but no response. Seem shows phone hours to be 9-9 EST, recording says 10-6. I'll try calling again. Emails don't seem to work.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

At this time, I have had 3 separate problems with ingredients or portions. Typically I'm not one to complain, and simply move on, to not adversely affect someone who may be enjoying a particular service. In addition, I can understand that the food delivery industry is not the easiest to operate. However, after trying other services, Blue Apron simply has an issue with their procedures.

In addition, after explaining the issues relating to their problems, it took more than 48 hours to get a response for paying for 4 portions and 2 meals and only receiving 2 portions of each meal. At that time, they had the audacity to write that I may have the correct amount of ingredients. I did not get agitated until there was simply no response to my inquiry to have them hopefully send the remaining ingredients. But, instead, they write that I may be wrong. Home Chef used to have this issue on portions, but they resolved it, and I have not had any issues at all with Gobble. I strongly recommend going that route, and avoiding Blue Apron altogether. In addition, their meals are far less delicious than the aforementioned companies.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

We've also tried Blue Apron and really did not like it. They constantly miss ingredients and even miss all of the ingredients for a meal except the meat. Then we've had it where they've missed the meat for the dish as well. This has happened 4 times to us. We are really disappointed with their service. This last time we complained but they never replied. They probably think we are trying to work the system and lie to get free credits but we are not! They really have missed ingredients constantly and won't compensate for the loss. It's hard to make a meal when all you have is the ground beef!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

While the food at Blue Apron is decent at best, I have had nothing short of a terrible time with the company. Their goal is to steal money from you however they can. In several of my orders there were ingredients missing, and to fix this they offered 5 dollar credit to the account. However, when you're missing half the meal this does not really add up to much when you are paying $60 dollars for the whole box.

When trying to cancel the order, they put you through the ringer. Their terms say you cannot cancel the upcoming order (which they automatically process) if the package has already been processed or shipped. When I went to cancel, my upcoming shipment said "processing" which is not specified in their terms, so I thought I was in the clear. WRONG. Apparently, in the world Blue Apron lives in, processing means that it has already been processed. I have had several email chains and phone calls and no one will fix this. They are stealing money. End of story. I would not recommend Blue Apron to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Blue Apron is nothing short of unethical. We received our first order, that being a four meal package, and out of that shipment the chicken and shrimp arrived spoiled, the bok choy was frozen and unusable, and the pizza dough would not rise as the recipe stated it should. So out of the four meals, we were only able to get on full meal and had to improvise on the rest.

When we contacted Blue Ribbon customer service to see if there was anything they were willing to do to make it right, the only thing that would say is "We are sorry to hear that happened". When we couldn't make any headway with that we asked to cancel the service. They said, "Sure, however we could not cancel the upcoming shipment that was 3 days away due to the fact that our shipping label had already been printed." Seems odd, but OK. Then we asked if they would discount that order and we were told they could not do that. They would be more than happy to give us a credit if we should ever decide the restart the service. Bottom line, don't waste your money with this dishonest organization.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Food and packaging is okay, recipes are okay, just okay. We have tried 2 other meal kit services before Blue Apron and it clearly came in last. Our first delivery showed up 4 days late with no clear explanation as to why, and the weather was not the issue. I finally, after several tries, got a response to my inquiry and was offered a refund since the perishables had to be thrown out due to the delay. We never got the refund, and the case was closed without the actual refund showing up. I cancelled our account right away to avoid further irritation, and doubt I will ever hear from them again. There is ZERO consideration for client satisfaction and their food isn't good enough to balance that failure. Try another meal kit service, don't use Blue Apron.

Blue Apron expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.

• Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.

• Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.

• Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.

• Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.

• Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, those interested in expanding their cooking skills and wine lovers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs