2.30/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Blue Apron

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 21, 2017

98 Blue Apron Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I definitely recommend Blue Apron food delivery service! The food was always fresh with outstanding dishes. I had to cancel for a short period of time which was a simple process! I'll definitely be returning soon.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

My wife and I both work. We don't mind cooking but dislike the time it takes for menu planning and shopping. Blue Apron has stepped in to do all that for us. You provide the salt, pepper and oil. They send the rest to you fresh. Their recipes are fresh and flavorful. Portions are always more than we can eat in one sitting and suitable for leftovers. They even send small portions of fresh herbs like thyme, parsley and cilantro in tiny airtight packs to preserve the flavor. If you enjoy good food but cannot spare the time it takes to shop, try it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Blue Apron is going down. They ALWAYS get into the shipping issues and failing their business down. I joined Blue Apron 1 month ago and have not received any of my meals until now due to their delivery issue. Not sure what to do when you dealing with unreliable company and they are dealing with one of element stuff in my life, my meal. They don't even want to hear/talk to me anymore... I have sent numerous email messages, phone calls, yet no one has responded. They is no management in Blue Apron.

A group of some energetic chefs might started this business with enthusiasm but they might don't know how to manage their business. A service I received them is unacceptable from every perspective. BLUE APRON really SUCKS/ESPECIALLY - their CUSTOMER SERVICE. Online based service must be equipped with better CS, just like Amazon. I bet they will shut their business down soon if they don't change something.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

This is a warning to anyone thinking of order Blue Apron. I have been ordering from them for a few months, I liked their food, even if it took me a couple hours to make each one. The last order I got I received rotten chicken. It made my entire kitchen smell like rotten eggs. When I called customer support they claimed the rotten chicken wasn't their fault, then refused to refund my credit card. The customer support manager said they are not able to refund partial orders. He said the most they were able to do is credit the $19.98 to my account for my next order.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm uneasy ordering food from a company that is ok with sending their customers rotten chicken. I asked the manager if he would credit back the entire order if the company's system wasn't capable of refunding just half. He said that was against their policy. As a customer service rep myself, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I asked him if customer satisfaction was an important part of their business, he continued to state there was nothing else he could do for me, but would be happy to cancel my account with them. Bottom line, Blue Apron doesn't care about their customers satisfaction, or apparently their ingredient freshness guarantee either.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I subscribed and received spoiled food in every single box. I finally cancelled my account. I asked for compensation for spoiled food in my last box. They offered me a $5 credit in case I would re-subscribe. This is not a solution! I cancelled the subscription, I want a refund for spoiled food. I am not in the need of a credit since I am no longer a customer. I have switched to Hello Fresh and, so far, that has been a smoother process with better food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

10/8/17 After loving our Blue Apron service, we needed to cancel. We were directed via email to visit https://blueapron.com/cancel_subscription. This simply led us to our account settings with no cancellation option. We sent a second email to cancellations@blueapron.com to inform Blue Apron that any charges to our account after October 9, 2017 would be considered fraud and our emails are proof of notification of cancellation. We will also put a stop in our account at the bank for the recurring charges. Very fraudulent practices in this day and age.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I made an account just to post this. If I could rate zero stars I would. I used a $30 promo for a $30 order. The total was $0. I emailed because the promo was not applied and $30 was taken from my account. I requested a refund and the account cancelled. Customer service did not do either of these but instead sent me an email saying my total was $30. Today, another $60 was TAKEN from my account without authorization. I AM FURIOUS!! GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!! You have now charged me $90 for a freebie. This is ridiculous. I enjoyed the product. But, unless you process a full refund, I will actively tell everyone I meet not ever to use Blue Apron. My next step is to contact the BBB or the Arizona Attorney General to investigate this.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My second delivery was never received but they took my money. They have no customer service hours convenient for people who work. I got an email 2 days before my shipment was to arrive saying it was delayed. No further communication & no product. Now they're set to charge me again because I couldn't reach anyone to help. Yet my neighbor across the hall got her delivery on time. Not thrilled when a company takes my money but can't follow through on its promise or offer solutions. Account canceled. Will never do business again. They are a RIP off.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I have been ordering from Blue Apron for over a year now and let me first start by saying that their customer service is superb! They go above and beyond when it comes to satisfying their customers. The meals have been delicious and the ingredients are always very high quality and fresh. Recently made one of their beef meals and the beef was the leanest, most tender beef I have ever had. It's so nice to be able to pick and choose which weeks I would like to order ahead of time and not be locked into every week. I just can't say enough about how much I love Blue Apron!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I was happy with the food. However when I canceled through the support on the site they never did it... Instead starting me back up without my knowledge. I received an email stating they were shipping me my next order. I immediately responded, "No, I have canceled my membership." They then said, "Too bad. We are charging you." Even after multiple emails explaining... They still STOLE MY MONEY!!! DONT USE BLUE APRON!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

We got the discounted 1st time box. I love it. The products are fresh, arrive in cooled box (that can be recycled by returning them to the company). The food & recipes have been great & it gives us something different to eat that is health. I have not had to cancel or alter my order so I don't know if that will be problem however the app seems pretty straightforward & gives me lots of choices. I didn't see that this was more expensive than other services - comes to about $10 per person per meal. Not so bad & what I like is that everything is there - I don't have to go buy it!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

We've had several orders with Blue Apron and it would be 50/50 when it came to problems with an order. Rotten produce, something getting smashed and leaking, wrong seasonings, and missing recipe cards were the main problem. Their customer service is very slow to respond and when they do, your account gets credited a very small amount. Would be nice if they sent replacement knickknacks instead of refunding that small amount, as some of the ingredients are really hard to find and the recipe tastes bad without them.

I don't buy a meal subscription box to have to go grocery shopping again. Use Blue Apron at your own risk. It will probably be good for a few times then you'll start seeing problems. Unfortunately cancelling isn't easy either. You have to email them (which is really unacceptable as almost any other reputable subscription lets you cancel online.). We will be trying Hello Fresh instead.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Blue Apron sends out packaging with zero regard to the environment. The bubble wrap coated with aluminum foil is non-recyclable. The big plastic freezer bags (you'll get 104 of them a year) of leaky, gooey solution (sodium polymethacrylate) can't be recycled either. Nor should they be carried away to the landfill. Empty the liquid into the sink and you may clog your drains. Blue Apron is filling our landfills with plastic freezer bags on an industrial scale. Blue Apron's image of being environmentally friendly is just that: image. Please think again before using Blue Apron.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

It is like a trap when you enroll. You can't cancel on the website. You can't delete your credit card. You have to go down this email rabbit hole and then they still charge for a shipment a week away!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I signed up for the service on Monday of last week (18th of Sept 2017). I requested the three meal service to come to me by Friday, initially, but then I rescheduled for Wed delivery (20th of Sept, 2017). However, I still received the meals on Friday (22nd of Sept 2017). I was charged a discounted rate of some $29 for those first three meals, as a new customer, but soon thereafter, I was immediately thereafter charged $59 for next week's meals. I did not know that I had to "skip" the next week's meals in order to not get charged my weekly subscription charge of $59 (based on my choice of subscription). I spoke with a Brian (manager) and Jasmine who both said that I should have "skipped" the next meal of service and the $59 would not be refunded. Here are my issues with that.

I was not made aware that I, immediately needed to skip next meals of service based on my subscription I had initially chosen, in order to not be charged the $59. I am a new customer, and as such, I should have been given the benefit of the doubt that I did not know that I needed to skip the next week's meals. On a call after I had signed up, I spoke with someone who told me that I would only be charged based on meals delivered, NOT as a weekly subscription charge as Jamie told me. Seems to me there is conflicting information delivered over the phone, even though Brian indicated that the website indicates there was enough disclosure to skip the meals.

I had a very short window to skip the meals. Having first signed up on a Monday, 18th of Sept, I did not have enough time to make a decision to "skip" next week's service. If 6 days is the normal policy, then technically, I needed to both sign up for, and then skip the following week's service. How could I do that? Even if I were aware to do that (and I was not, I assure you), my window was EXTREMELY short! I needed to do that on that same Monday I signed up! Furthermore, assuming a person such as myself knew to cancel, how could any reasonable person make a decision without having first testing out the product as a new customer? As a new customer, this is NOT the way to win and retain new business. You gained $59. But you lost a customer for life. This review will go to Google. And will go to the state's attorney general's complaint file both with the states of Texas & New York. Have a good day. Good luck (you will need it).

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

We are longtime customers of "Home Chef". Because of the good deal that Blue Apron gives with the first order, we decided to try it out in comparison to what we were receiving with Home Chef. Our first delivery wasn't impressive. Produce is packed in brown paper bags. (Does someone need to tell them that brown paper bags ripen vegetables/fruits faster?) The produce was not fresh. The peppers were already wrinkled, and the tomatoes were overripe, soft and unable to cut without smashing them.

I called customer service and complained. I told them I would give them one more try (one more delivery), just to see if it was a fluke, and I got a bad delivery. The 2nd delivery came a couple of days ago, and it's the same thing... wrinkled, soft vegetables that are not fresh. This time when I called, I was told that a refund could not be made, so I canceled the service, which I would have done regardless. Home Chef is a much better service, better value for your money and their produce/meat is very fresh. If anything, Blue Apron proved to us what a good deal we are getting from Home Chef.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

When I needed to cancel my (expensive) subscription to Blue Apron, the company made it VERY difficult. Once they have your credit card information, there is NO option for deleting your credit card information from their billing site. When you try to cancel, there is NO option for canceling when you log in to your personal account with them. Instead, you have to wait and go through several hoops involving repeated emails to them.

I am very disappointed that a company that portrays itself as doing good for the world would operate like this; the actions I describe above on their part indicate to me more of a "scammer" type company rather than a truly honorable good company, as I initially thought they were. I believe that if the founder of Blue Apron realized how badly this reflects on his company, he personally would change it. He must have a horrific, scam-like, greedy marketing group in charge of his company. Having seen him in an interview, I can hardly believe the nature of how this company won't let you cancel nor will it delete your credit card financial details without deliberate obstacles to make it difficult.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Bought this product with a 1/2 price coupon. PROS: The box contents arrived in good shape. The ice packs were still frozen and everything was well packaged and fresh. The meals were generous and tasted quite good and easy to prepare. CONS: I did not like sorting through the box to separate all the ingredients for the 3 meals. I also didn't like that the same ingredients were used for more than 1 meal. For example, yellow squash was used for 2 dinners. I wondered if they had a truck load of the ingredient and wanted to use it in as many dishes as possible! I also did not care for how the recipes were written. The steps seemed awkward to me. I cancelled after the first delivery.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I received 6 weeks worth of meals and honestly, have no complaint about the, delivery, quality, quantity of my meals. Yes, a bottle leaked, yes, my basil could have been more fresh but overall, no real complaint. Over time, I realized 2 meals per week would better suit my situation than the 3 I was receiving but that was not offered on their site. Then, my niece tells me of an email she just received offering a 2 meals per week plan. Great! I looked at the website again and it still wasn't an option for me. I emailed the customer service folks and the response was, "Sorry it's not available to all customers at this time." What kind of crock is that? I complained and moments later... like magic, it's now available on my log-in. Here's the catch - 3 meals per box (2 servings each) is $59.94 = $19.98 per meal. 2 meals per box (2 servings each) is $47.95 PLUS $7.99 shipping = $18.65 per meal. What kind of idiot would choose option #2?

I decide to cancel my membership. Not so fast! You can't cancel from the website. You can't even remove your credit card from the website!!! You have to send an email to their customer service... who then provides you with another email address cancellations@blueapron.com that you have to request to cancel. Then, the response comes with a link where you have to articulate exactly why you want to cancel!!! In addition, be sure to cancel ALL upcoming orders or they will charge you for them even if they are not shipped! When I finally received my confirmation email that the account was cancelled, it's really just inactive as it can be reinstated at any time. How? Because they keep your credit card details forever!!! Great product/concept... Horrible customer service and business practices! Colour me done.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Okay, let's just say I am starting the process to file a complaint with the BBB about Blue Apron. I had a "free" meal from my sister to use. In theory that is a great idea -- give people a trial to see if they like your product. Here's how it went: I got the box, and it sat outside in the heat & humidity of DC. The ice packs in the bag were busted and thawed, so the gel inside them leaked all over the food -- including the unpacked food. The egg had fallen out of the container and broke inside the bag; a bottle of soy sauce opened during travel and spilled all over inside the bag; the tomatoes had fallen out and were all smashed up in the bag. By the time I got home, the meat was starting to smell, even the insulated bag was leaking and the box it was in was completely wet and mushy. I ended up having to buy a lot of my own ingredients to make the recipes because their packaging is so bad.

As soon as I opened the box and saw the mess, I tried to cancel. In order to cancel your order, you have to go to a web page that just gives you an email account to send a note to. That account sends you an email within a few days with directions on how to cancel your order. You go through the whole process, and your account is canceled. Then, about 4 days later, you end up with a charge for almost $50 -- and no new packaged that the charge is for. They literally charge you for a product that have no intention of sending you. NEXT -- you call their customer service phone number to get a refund on this charge. However, their customer service phone number literally just sends you to their "FAQ" website. They are charging people for products they do not give you. That... Feels unethical and maybe even illegal. If a friend sends you a code for a free Blue Apron do not use it.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I thought I would try Blue Apron and made my first order. I then went back and realized I did not understand the pricing, and that it was something I simply could not afford. I called customer service and spoke to a woman who was so kind and understanding and she immediately refunded my money to me. She did say that she was not able to stop the shipment and said that I could use or donate the products that I received. The package arrived yesterday. It is absolutely amazing. I will make these dinners this weekend. Looking at what I received though, I realized it is NOT overpriced. I hope to restart my subscription as soon as I can.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I took their offer for 1st time users for 50% off. Sounds good -- paid $29+. Then cancelled before 2nd order had been processed. There was a $35 cancellation fee. (allegedly by a third party.) In essence I paid $5 more for this order!. I definitely will watch my credit card for any unauthorized charges. To me this was a rip-off and I will never use them again! Who charges for a cancellation!!! They didn't have to restock anything!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I have used both Blue Apron and Plated. I prefer the Blue Apron meals, hands down. However, their delivery was so inconsistent, I was throwing it out more weeks than actually being able to use it. Delivery would be delayed a day or more (and considering it was with FedEx for 72 hours already), there is no way the food could be kept fresh, and it wasn't always kept refrigerated as they told me. I complained numerous times and told they would not let this continue to happen. Yeah--big lie. So I checked the delivery for both Plated and Blue Apron. Both use FedEx. Plated has the good sense to ship overnight. They send Monday and I get Tuesday. Blue Apron is too cheap to do so. They ship Tuesday and I would get Friday, and then it was delayed til Sat or Mon most of the time. Very disappointing. Charge $5 and ship overnight people. This is not rocket science.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

The food quality was good. We were a little concerned about the box sitting on our front porch all day in Texas heat, and remaining fresh. I am not saying it wouldn't work, but we were concerned. The recipes and effort to organize and cook the food were just too much work. Occasionally too many carbs too. So then I decided to cancel. Wow, that was rough. They have a 3 or 4 step process. I called in, their own voicemail indicates how messed up their customer service was. That was at the end of July. They have since removed the message. The customer service said they would call me back. Instead they emailed me. They wouldn't call me back and you were forced to leave a message. So I did all of the process to cancel. Then kept receiving boxes. Now, month later, 60.00 x 4 = 240.00 they say it's finally cancelled. Pretty rough.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My food never showed up on the scheduled delivery date of Saturday. I got an email late at night saying it would come Sunday. Then Sunday night I got another email saying it would never come. Then they had the never to tell me that they would be refunding my money. No kidding! I never even received the shipment. Then I tried to cancel the service Sunday night and was told that my account couldn't be canceled until after the following week's shipment. I tried to speak to several employees and kept getting the same response. Horrible customer service and experience!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

#BlueApron. We HAD been happy with Blue Apron until this week. We were missing two key ingredients this week from the box leaving a missing ingredient from two of the three meals. The best they can do is credit $5 per ingredient to your account with NO partial refunds for those missing ingredients. This means that to get my money back from the ingredients that they didn't send me, I have to order from them again. We weren't even that happy with the meals this time. We felt the quality had declined. Why would I want to give them more of my business just to get something back that they owe me from their mistake?

Also, the point of these services is convenience. Missing an ingredient can be quite a big deal. I've canceled my Blue Apron account. I think they would have to send a personal chef next time in order for me to consider accepting even a free box from them right now. All they would've had to do to make things right is to refund $10 to my card because I do understand that mistakes happen. I don't think that was asking for too much. I felt compelled to share this with you all and I told them I would be spreading the word. So far we've been happy with #HelloFresh and #HomeChef.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I am a single guy and I would eat out and/or eat fast food a lot. For my job I travel and buying ahead of time just to see it go bad while I am away is a waste. The company I work for supplied Blue Apron with some equipment and I was able to see the inside of one of their facilities. It was very clean and since I knew how the inside worked I decided to try them. I have been using them for several months now and I find the ingredients to be very good. I have had one delivery that wasn't on time and I had a refund before I knew it was going to be late. I have never had a problem with the portion size and since I am by myself I always get two meals out of every recipe. I don't like every recipe but that's what you get when you start trying new things and I am okay with that. For anyone who doesn't like to shop I would give it a try.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

To say my husband and I are enjoying all aspects of the Blue Apron experience is an understatement. Produce and meat is fresh and top quality. Preparation is fun and something we do together here. Love having recipes and ingredients provided and in exact quantities needed. No shopping. Enjoy trying new types of food. Would never try on our own. And, have I mentioned meals are delicious. Highly recommend.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

One of our friends got us a gift card for 3 meals. First off, these meals take WAY TOO LONG for working adults to make. Second, their food is NOT FRESH! And that leads me to point three, we didn't even get the meat for two of the three meals! This is not a deal, nor is it "fine" dining. As a front-of-house manager of two separate restaurants, this would get chefs fired at either establishment if they tried passing this off as "fine" dining. This is neither a deal, nor is it even luxury dining. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

Had received a few deliveries and found that some items were spoiled or warm (chicken) when I opened the box. As I found that I was throwing out more than I cooked, I have tried to cancel my membership. Tried and tried. Yet, the box keeps coming. Last week I put a hold on any more deliveries for the next month. The company makes it very hard to cancel. Very unethical and unprofessional. Not a reputable way to conduct business.

Blue Apron expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.
    • Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.
    • Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.
    • Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.
    • Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.
    • Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.
    • Best for: Busy individuals and families, those interested in expanding their cooking skills and wine lovers.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs