Blue Apron

Compare Meal Delivery Services

Research top Meal Delivery Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had a coupon for 30$ of my first box so I have it a try. Before I could cancel I was charged for the 2nd box. When you open the box things are pretty organized but I did have some of the prep ingredients leak. There is way too much prep and you will use a sink full of pots, pans and bowls for one meal. Some are tasty and some were awful. Not worth 60$. We can eat out 3x for that.

I believed I was signing up for a one time trial shipment. Read the small print - with that one time shipment, they are signing you on to weekly shipments. I tried to cancel another shipment when they notified me it was coming. Told them there must be some mistake. It was not cancelled and now I'm stuck with a bill for $59 for food I cannot eat AND did not order. Call to them very unsatisfactory: lots of "thank you for reaching out" but no action. CONSUMER BEWARE!!!

I signed up for the Blue Apron vegetarian option and made special comments that we needed recipes for a person with heart disease and cancer. Imagine my surprise when viewing my 1st delivery, with recipes loaded with cheese and cream sauces. The sodium content was over 1,000 mg per meal. The food may be fresh, but it is definitely not as healthy as I had hoped. I was able to cancel no problem, so OK from that standpoint.

I ordered from it about a year and a half ago or so. I did like what they sent and the process of having all the ingredients and cooking but Tom is a picky eater and I knew he wouldn't eat most of it. I just wanted to try it. So I cancelled any more shipments. Also, they had advertised you get two meals free but when I got the bill only one of the three choices had been free. When I complained they said each serving is a meal so since the meal was two servings that was two meals. I mean, if you cook for 7 people you don't say you are preparing 7 meals, it is one meal for the family right. I thought this very deceptive so didn't want to deal with them. Recently I wanted to explore their choices again so went on the site and signed in after being away a year or more. Not many of the meals looked like they would work for us so I didn't order anything and just signed out.

Imagine my surprise when my credit card said I was charged $60 by Blue Apron. When I contacted Blue Apron they said by signing in I activated my account and since I didn't choose anything they sent 3 random meals to me and since they had been shipped I couldn't cancel. I guess they had my credit card info from before. At no time did I hit "submit" or "my cart". I was pretty furious and wrote them so but they just said sorry, the stuffs been shipped but they would cancel my account. Don't ever sign in a second time once you leave!

My child sent me a link to get a free first delivery for Blue Apron. The food arrived on time, well packaged, and the directions for the recipe are extremely detailed. There was nothing missing in the packaging, and the directions came off without a hitch. There was a lot of food, albeit much of which was starch. If I were so busy that I could not shop, this would be an ideal solution. Unfortunately, I do shop. While the directions were simple, they needed more spice. I do like salt-and-pepper, but it needed more. For example, I made spaghetti according to the directions, tasted it, and had to add some Italian seasoning. Likewise, making couscous with just plain water is like cutting open tofu and eating it out of the package. It needs a little something more.

I saw several reviews that complained about not being able to sample before the second shipment came through. When signing up, it clearly gave a cancellation date. For example my food was supposed to be delivered on Thursday. The Saturday before was the cancellation date. Not knowing what it was going to taste like, I put a hold on the second shipment so that I could sample before I committed to more. Apparently, the people who are complaining, did not read before they agreed to the terms. It really isn't an option for a single person, and trying to eat all of those meals in a week is much too much for one. I probably will not order again, as it does not fit my lifestyle. But if I had someone who lived with me, and we were both busy, it would be a great deal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

We enjoyed our first month of food, but the next delivery we received, the box was damaged and haphazardly re-taped. The "knick knack" containers of mayo, horseradish and sweet peppers, all had leaked thru the box. The garlic was thrown in with the meat. The chicken was bloody and very fatty. I contacted customer service with my frustration. He was cordial, and gave me credit for the delivery. I canceled my subscription, and (as stated in previous reviews) he was aloof and was uninterested in keeping my subscription.

I didn't find out about not being able to cancel until I looked at the recipes for the coming week and they were ALL wheat-based (I'm GF but figured I could work around a recipe here or there). I hate paying to ship material I won't eat, and that they don't have a GF option (hey - rice!). The bigger problem overall is that it's just way too much meat and potatoes, and it's generally all cooked the same way. As a single person I ate 6 of these meals in a week and frankly hope I never see another piece of fried meat again. Ugh. It'd be great if they branched out a little to broiling or BBQ - especially with fish. And GREENS! Please. Greens.

They scam you into paying for 2 weeks automatically. It's an unusual business practice that the first shipment arrives within a couple of hours of the cancellation deadline for the next week. They don't give people time to cook one of the meals and taste the food to see if they like it before they are committed to another week of this service. They are stuck with receiving another shipment of food that consists of low quality ingredients and bad customer service.

I agreed to try Blue Apron's Free meal offer at the request of a good friend. I assumed that I would get the chance to try and decide if the service was a good fit for me before being stuck with an order I hadn't agreed to or chosen. Beware the small print, it's in there; as soon as you sign up with your credit card for the Free order they activate your next (Pay for Order) before you even receive your free trial. I was not happy, but I was told I should have paid attention to the small print. This whole scenario left me upset and unhappy. This whole concept wouldn't work for myself and my husband. For $ 59.00 providing 3 meals each for two people, I can do much better shopping on my own and as long as you have to prepare each meal anyway it seems like a ridiculous waste of my time and money.

The meals that I prepared were good and the food arrived fresh and in good shape. It was easy to cancel. They are good at marketing. Here is what I did not like: You are not allowed to look at their recipes until you pay for a membership. If you do not like a recipe and would like to switch for another it blocks out others so that you have very limited choices. Everything comes together in the box, unlike other delivery services which separate each individual meal with all of its ingredients, this one is up to you to separate everything out. Their recipes do not include a lot of green or fresh vegetables, I may have ordered on a couple of "canned" weeks, I got lots of canned beans etc, not a lot of fresh veggies.

I'm an experienced cook and helping out a neighbor who has no time to cook healthy meals right now. I volunteered to prepare Blue Apron meals for her that she bought and we shared. They are an incredible amount of work for what you get. Food is OK, but no great shakes. Plus, the packaging isn't suitable for Phoenix in the summer. The company doesn't put all the perishables inside that thin, bubble wrap cooler and I can just imagine how hot (and spoiled) they'd be on a 110+ day sitting outside 'til we got home to take them in and refrigerate them. It's been interesting to cook these meals, but IMHO, they're overrated. Portions are small and who wants to get three pans and umpteen bowls and utensils dirty for a single meal? Not me!!!

When I first tried Blue Apron, I was very excited about the concept. I work long hours, love to cook and it was nice trying new recipes. Then it fell apart. First the ingredients in one shipment was slightly incorrect, I got 2 of one item and another was missing. A few weeks later my delivery never came... First I got an email that it was going to be 2 days late with a FedEx tracking stating it was delivered even though it never arrived.

The absolute final straw was this week when one of the meals was a Fontina & Beet Grilled Cheese sandwich. The item missing this week was the fontina cheese. How do you make a grilled cheese sandwich without cheese? Should 2 grilled cheese sandwiches cost almost $20? When I contacted Blue Apron, I was told that my account would have a credit of $19.98 which I could apply to my next order. They can't give partial credit. Next order? Really? HORRIBLE service! So sad that something I found to be fun ended up so frustrating!

The meals arrived a day late, not a huge deal. They were fresh, interesting recipes that were fun to try. However, and this is a big deal, there is nothing in the prepackaged meals that you cannot find at Kroger or Meijer for much less expense. So economically it is not doable unless you find that your shopping time is worth the excessive expense. And finally, that whole "try Blue Apron with our 30 dollar coupon" bit is a scam. By the time you receive the discounted offer, the next order is already "in process". So you will be billed full price for the second order regardless if you want it or not.

I really do not want it, but as promised they charged my card the day after I cancelled my subscription anyway. So, if are are thinking if trying a meal delivery service, try someone else. This company has to use tricks to maximize profits which is very telling of their retainment rate. Not good. Some additional information you may find helpful is that the directions for the meals are needlessly tedious and confusing. If you do try the service, read thru all the directions first and do the steps in a logical sequence instead of the ridiculous way they present it.

Good food, bad shipping and delivery systems. I rarely had an issue with Blue Apron's food both in terms of quality or detail. Their downfall and ultimate weakness is their delivery system. For example, my deliveries are scheduled for Tuesdays. So if there is a delay, you have no notice. My latest issue with the delivery system is a 4 going on 5 day delay with no food in sight. You plan on three meals on a given day and then it does not arrive. Then no notice, a second day passes, a third, a fourth- then you get angry. Seriously? How about an e-mail or call- very poor customer service. I'm very disappointed in Blue Apron. No resolution and I still don't have my food. Will this business survive? I'm done.

Easy to prepare meals with lots of unique and delicious options. Able to choose which veggies you don't want as well as different meats or even no meat. Customer service was also great.

I cook all my meals and I'm always trying new recipes. I normally spend a lot of time at various markets, including ethnic markets, looking for obscure ingredients. I decided to try Blue Apron only because they kept sending me coupons and my curiosity was piqued. I tried it for 5 weeks and really enjoyed my experience, but ultimately decided it wasn't for me. This is what I loved: the recipes were simple but delicious, I was introduced to a few new products, the recipes came with clear instructions and great photographs of the ingredients and cooking steps, everything was fresh, and there was no wasted food because they only send you what you need. I really enjoyed getting my box of goodies once a week.

This is why I cancelled my account after 5 weeks: (1) I found that the side dishes were usually rice, potatoes, or whole grains. Although all of these are great choices, it got boring week after week after week. I ate more potatoes during the 5 weeks with Blue Apron than I have in the past year cooking my own meals. (2) I watch calories and each Blue Apron meal was anywhere from 600 to 870 calories. That's insane for one meal. (3) I wasn't crazy about all the packaging waste: the baggies, the little plastic bottles, the ice packs, etc. I recycled what I could but most ended up in the trash. Perhaps Blue Apron could arrange for the driver to pick up last week's packaging when delivering the current box? The ice packs, the insulation, and boxes could easily be reused without posing any sanitary issues.

Missing ingredients - I purchased a Groupon for 3 2-person meals from Blue Apron. I went ahead & set up my account & unfortunately was forced to sign up for a subscription & even give them my credit card even though I had only purchased a Groupon for one shipment of meals. As long as you remember to cancel your subscription before they begin billing you for your next shipment, you won't be charged anything more so I guess I was okay with that. The shipment arrived to us and everything was well packaged & stayed cold even though the box had been sitting on our porch for a while because we weren't home.

We were so excited to make all 3 recipes, but as I began going through all the items (and there is a lot included since all 3 meals get shipped at the same time) I realized I was missing what they call "knick-knacks" for one of our recipes. Depending on the recipe, this could be a big or little deal, but unfortunately for us the recipe was an Asian recipe with several different sauces & flavorings that most people would not have on hand or be able to easily find in a grocery store (plus the whole point of the service is that ingredients get sent directly to your house & you don't have to make a trip to the store). I thought, no big deal, I'll contact them & I'm sure they'll send out the missing ingredients pretty quickly.

I contacted them through the email their website suggested & I simply received an "I'm so sorry" email with absolutely no solution offered. So I tried calling their customer service line because surely that is not how they handle their customer issues, but to my surprise & frustration, that is exactly what I was told once again. Basically, if I had kept my subscription, I was told they would credit me back for that individual recipe & add it to my next subscription. This seems like an acceptable solution, but that still means that I cannot make the recipe I ordered or have to chase down the ingredients myself.

Since I canceled my subscription because I was just looking to try the service out, they literally could not offer me a single solution to them leaving out ingredients. I'm very surprised because it seemed like a really great service if you're able to afford it. That's another thing - it's $60 for 3 2-person meals so it's not cheap which is another reason I was so surprised by their aloof customer service approach. Needless to say, I'm glad I canceled my subscription because I am highly dissatisfied with the customer service I received.

Blue Apron products are good, and the recipes have a large & tasty varieties. I love trying new things and this box is perfect for that. Was not much of a fish eater, but I really learned to like a larger variety of fish since using this box.

I ordered the first delivery with Blue Apron with a Groupon Discount. I received the food on Wednesday and decided to cancel on Thursday due to the long prep time and expense of Blue Apron service. Even though I have cancelled 6 days prior to the next scheduled delivery, I am stuck paying another $60.00 for meals that I do not want because the "order had already been processed". How is that even possible? I barely had enough time to evaluate one meal before they "processed" my next order. Quite unfair that I cannot cancel 6 days ahead of delivery. Very deceptive practice. I am very unhappy with this experience.

I tried Blue Apron on the Family option. It was limited in the selection, but I figured it was a good time to try something we normally wouldn't eat. Ingredients were fresh, better than grocery store. No oils come, so you need to have those on hand, especially olive oil. I was missing the garlic paste needed for one of the recipes. Although the meals were delicious, I don't know if the cost is worth it. For a family on a budget, I don't think this is the way to go unless you have an unlimited supply of coupons/discounts each week. If you read through the recipe first, you can usually shave some time off the preparation by rearranging the order. I suppose that would only apply if you often cook in the kitchen.

Blue Apron's products are fine, they just don't always send the right amount and you don't know this until the meal is almost finished. Shorted a serving. After all that work only one person has a complete meal.

We were ready to change up our dinner options and had seen any advertisements for Blue Apron, so we thought we would give it a try. I went on the site, made an account, give them my credit card number, and ordered my first meal! I am a planner. I am one of those people that does all my grocery shopping on the weekend because my weeks are so busy I want to have everything ready so I can serve my family healthy dinners. It was very nice to not have to go to the grocery store last weekend, because I "knew" my Blue Apron order would be coming on Wednesday. I came home from work expecting to see a box of fresh food, but there was no box. The food never did arrive and now I am stuck choosing take out or finding time to go to the grocery store which usually means about 11 PM. I'm very disappointed and won't try this option again.

I just completed a 1/2 off trial with Blue Apron and was impressed with their offering. Neatly packaged, fresh ingredients and I cooked the meals in 30 minutes every time. I really liked the recipes and have been exposed to different grains (couscous, fregola, etc.) and techniques that I would not have if I relied on internet recipes. What really impressed me is the quality of the ingredients. Even the jasmine rice is of top quality and I'm from Asia, I know my rice.

Unfortunately, I had to cancel after doing some financial planning and realizing that I have the time and may save money buying the ingredients on my own. I learned a lot however and will be remaking the few recipes they sent me and the additional free ones as a bonus. Customer service (I used online chat) was incredibly helpful with cancellation - everything was done over the internet in less than 5 mins. Hopefully, I'll resubscribe at some point in the future.

I love that the ingredients are healthy and farm fresh. The meals contain rice as a side dish too often. They are good about helping customers figure out how to recycle their products. If one ingredient is missing from a meal, they refund you for the entire meal as a credit toward your next order. Overall, great service but I was getting a little tired of having rice with every meal.

Unlike many typical users of Blue Apron, I am a cook. I enjoy cooking and have no problem sourcing ingredients or following a recipe. I am however a single father. The amount of time this service has saved me from figuring out meals and shopping for them is more than worth the price, which is less than it would be if I went out to dinner or ordered take out. The meals I've received have been novel and current. The ingredients are fresh and the recipes are very easy to follow. I love this service!!!

Terrible customer service. I really liked the idea of this subscription however the service is not vegetarian friendly. I had my first week and was good but when I looked at the meals for the 2nd week there were only 3 vegetarian options and 2 of them I didn't like. The site only offers 3 vegetarian meals so I didn't have any alternatives to choose from. I emailed Blue Apron about this and they told me that they would not refund me and if I didn't like the food I could give it away. I was shocked that this was their response. I was going to cancel the service but look back later to see if more vegetarian options had been added and then reinstate my account. The customer service was so bad that I will not be doing that. They'd rather lose a customer than refund $60. Very very bad customer service, definitely would not recommend to anyone.

I purchased a Groupon coupon for one weeks service. They force you to sign up for ongoing services but assure you that you can cancel at any time. They charged my account for an extra week even though I submitted my cancellation notice by the required due date. They could not be reached on the phone and did not respond to my email. Really poor customer service and I do not recommend them.

I decided to try Blue Apron for the first time recently. I made plans with my girlfriend to celebrate Valentine's Day by cooking with Blue Apron. We made the plan two weeks ago, and we've been so excited for the fun night ever since. My delivery was supposed to come yesterday, and it did not. I received a message from Blue Apron support last night saying that I could "rest assured that it would come today". I just went to the shipping company's website to track my delivery, and there was a message that said "the parcel is damaged and will be discarded". I called the courier to follow up, and they say that this information was true and that this package would not be delivered.

I opened my Blue Apron account and arranged for this order nearly two weeks ago! I arranged an entire special evening around this and now my whole plan is ruined because of this mess with little time to fix anything. Even worse, I didn't get any communication at all from Blue Apron telling me that my order was at risk of not being delivered. If I hadn't followed up with the shipping company, I may not have ever even found this out!

I contacted Blue Apron support and asked them to do whatever they could to get me a replacement shipment in time to salvage my nice plan for this evening, and all they said they were only able to offer me was a refund on my order and the opportunity to re-schedule it for 5 days from now. After I continued to express how disappointed I was, they at least offered to cover the cost of my next order. I would have hoped this company would have a bit more sympathy for the fact that I entrusted them with this special day, ordered the delivery to arrive the day before just in case anything went wrong, and yet they still managed to mess this up for me. On top of that, they showed such little effort to make me feel better.

Finally, I was speaking with a manager and when I asked to speak with someone in charge of their customer service to share my experience, I was told no one was available. The lesson is: Avoid trusting this service to deliver in the clutch and don't expect them to make much of an effort to make up for their mistakes if anything goes wrong.

We received 4 meals for 4 people as a gift. The food was fresh and arrived on time in a box with ice packs. However, we were disappointed in the long prep time and the tasteless results. The portions were small but as no one wanted to finish their first serving it wasn't really an issue for our family. The options were limited when choosing meals each week on their website. A friend who previously ordered from Blue Apron called it "hipster food". I concur.

My family and I decided to sign up for Blue Apron to help alleviate meal planning stress and change up our "normal" meal circulation. We received 2 free meals, which was awesome... until we tried to prepare meal one. It was missing the "knick-knacks" bag to complete the meal. Total waste. We contacted Customer Service to make them aware of the situation and figure out how to remedy. They apologized and credited our account $25.00 to allow us to get one meal on them. Unfortunately, one meal is $35.00 and some change. Thanks for nothing, Blue Apron.

Here is the kicker. We prepared the second meal last night -- Italian Meatloaf and Fregola Sarda Pasta w/ Cauliflower. I was a bit taken aback from the GREEN cauliflower, but I continued making the recipe. The cauliflower was VERY dirty, so it took extra time to prepare, per instructed on the recipe card. Once I threw the cauliflower in a screaming, hot pan with 1 tsp of olive oil, WORMS started crawling out the cauliflower. GROSS... BEYOND GROSS. Ruined the entire meal. I pitched everything. I reached out the Blue Apron Customer Service this morning to make them aware of the disgusting situation. No resolution came of the conversation. I would not recommend this service to anyone. You can clearly not trust their product sourcing. They definitely do not have quality ingredients!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.
  • Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.
  • Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.
  • Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.
  • Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.
  • Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.
  • Best for Busy individuals and families, those interested in expanding their cooking skills and wine lovers.

Compare Meal Delivery Service