2.26/5
Based on 160 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

160 Blue Apron Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

I purchased Blue Apron around Memorial Day to take advantage of a major sale. While the normal cost is above my price range at the moment, I like the concept and may be willing to pay full price in the future. The food quality was excellent and matched the descriptions perfectly. The instructions were clear, all the vegetables were fresh, and the meat/fish was high quality. Perhaps more importantly, I was highly impressed by their customer service. I did not cancel my subscription immediately after the first shipment, so was charged for the next week. I called their number to request a cancelation and a refund. The customer service representative was very friendly/professional and was completely willing to give a one time refund based on the circumstances. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone interested in the service and convenience it offers.

Original review: June 14, 2018

These type of businesses in which you have to actively "skip" prey on consumer's busy schedules and forgetfulness. The default should be that you have to order the meals that it sends it to you, not that the meals get auto-shipped. Blue Apron's rep argues it's because their customers are busy and don't want to have to go request meals each week. Yeah, right. And if we forget or get too busy, the meals get shipped, we get charged, Blue Apron profits. Yes, we are busy so if we forget or get too busy it sends us random meals, usually those I wouldn't feed my dog. Tomorrow I'm getting pork ginger hamburgers. Going right in the trash. Good use of our resources, Blue Apron. Sustainable, yeah right.

Then if you want to receive an email telling you have a day or two to skip a mail you have to download their app. This one really gets me as a consumer rights' activist. You can't do this online. So in order to receive an email that a meal you never asked for to begin with is being sent to you, you have to download Blue Apron's app. This is horrible in terms of consumer rights. Let's take a stand against these "preying" businesses that auto-renew or auto-send. Again, the default should be that I have to add for the meals not that the "leftovers" what others didn't order I suppose get sent to me. But then when I forgot or got too busy, no meal would be sent, I wouldn't be charged, and Blue Apron wouldn't profit. Do the math, folks.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

To be honest, when my mother told me she decided to try Blue Apron, I was already skeptical. She rarely cooks and doesn't even particularly enjoy it. I've recently started cooking when I met my boyfriend, so I think she expected me to do the majority of the work. Anyway, my mom told me she wasn't overly impressed with the meal selections, but chose what she thought looked interesting and placed the order. It was pretty exciting opening the box to see all the things inside, but as people have mentioned, everything is sort of haphazardly thrown in. The ice packs on the bottom weren't completely solid and there was a decent amount of condensation inside the box. Whatever. Not a huge deal.

I won't ramble much more, there are just a couple of things I wanted to touch on. One: The instructions for these recipes have the phrase "Season with salt and pepper to taste" WAY too many times throughout. I counted six times in one recipe I was making. Now, someone who has cooked a fair amount would know that this means to put a pinch of salt and pepper. Anyone else who is newer to the process will end up killing the meal with salt. Every other step does not require salt. Especially if there are spices and mixes thrown in that already have salt. It's true that professional chefs have said the average person undersalts their meal, but jeez this is just entirely too much. Two: Make sure you have the time to cook all these things. We ordered these boxes for way too often and had to cut back because, unless you're making them every night, some things might go to waste.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have used many of the current meal services. Blue Apron is absolutely the worst! Sent chicken drumsticks rather than chicken breast for one of the meals. Sent a whole head of garlic that was so old and dry it was unusable. Limes were old, dry and woody. The shallot had already sprouted. The broccoli was yellow and the Thai chili was brown and shriveled. Sent them an email and received "due to unusually high volume..." To date, no response from them. Please do not use this meal service. You will regret it!

Original review: June 10, 2018

Best meal plan I’ve found over 3 years. I’ve used Blue Apron for almost a year and I’m very impressed with the quality of their merchandise. Meats and fish are very fresh, lean, tender, organic, sustainable, and their vegetables are crisp. Portions are generous, but what I love best is the variety of dishes. We are gourmet cooks and many of their recipes are different to try. In addition they provide seasonings, fresh herbs, and sauces we can try for the first time! We get exciting new dishes every week that we can choose. Unlike other delivery plans, Blue Apron is NOT ordinary, bland, or monotonous! They are delicious.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: June 6, 2018

I cannot believe all the negative reviews about Blue Apron out here. My husband and I are foodies. Blue Apron is for foodies. If you want a quick, easy, predictable meal, go elsewhere. If it is all about "health" for you, go elsewhere - their meals are certainly healthy and moderate in calories, but that is not their defining quality. What defines them is interesting, unique and excellent tasting meals with fresh ingredients. We have had no problems with freshness, and I sense that some people may live in areas where delivery services are inferior. We get FedEx deliveries on time and there have been no problems in our shipments except when storms hit the east coast, then they have been delayed and the company does an excellent job updating us via email.

If you are not a foodie, do not do Blue Apron!! It takes time to make, they use unusual ingredients, and yes, they may put broccoli in a Mexican dish. Why not?! - one of the joys of cooking is experimenting. Their chefs know how to nuance flavors, their flavors are not one note and you will have a lot of fun if you can be open to the experience. If Blue Apron goes away because of all the haters, then it will be a loss for my husband and me. Dinnertime is a joy because of Blue Apron and frankly, I have no intention of eating food kits offered by Walmart or Kroger's who will likely dumb down the meal kit cooking and eating experience if they have not already.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I am amazed at the number of single stars given to Blue Apron. There must be truth in the saying "only the disgruntled rate". I've been a customer for over a year and have tried other similar services and Blue Apron comes out on top every time by a long shot. Reasons... Free box to first time customers - I was blown away by the quality when I opened the box - that's what hooked me. Recipes are restaurant quality. Food is consistently top quality. Variety and unusual ingredients has expanded my knowledge and I hate cooking. Any problems are dealt with immediately and customer service is responsive within hours. The price is excellent - especially when their competitors are the same and offer an inferior product. Serving size for 2 actually serves 3 and could even stretch to 4 if you add some of your own ingredients.

Cons - the meals take time to cook. Depending on your life situation this may not be a good fit - especially if you're the sole chef without kid, spouse or roommate helpers. The fun is in the prep - cooking - discussion and vino. It's become a ritual in our home. I can't stress enough how great this company is. It makes me sad that they changed their packaging from paper to plastic to match the Home Chef brand. Home Chef's meals are simpleton and can be prepared and cooked in 30 minutes but are nothing special.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Ok first off I am going to go ahead and tell you how to cancel this service. Go into your account settings and find where your payment information is. Click that. There will be a button that says something like account management. Click that. There will be a button that says cancel membership. Click that. At this point a page will open saying you have successfully canceled. Screenshot that. You will also get an email saying that you canceled. If you are reading this before signing up, when you subscribe I suggest you go ahead and skip the next couple of weeks immediately in case you decide to cancel so they can't charge you for more than you want. You can always change this later.

I received my only shipment yesterday. I've been getting HelloFresh for a few weeks and BA had a deal so I decided to check it out. I picked the only 2 meals that looked good which was a chicken meal and a steak meal, I noticed that they don't charge extra for steak like HF does. When the box finally shows up at 8:30 pm much later than I could have possibly cooked it for dinner I unpacked it immediately and was instantly disappointed. For starters everything is pretty much thrown haphazardly in the box including the instructions, in one of those silver bubble envelopes with 2 ice packs (that were melted). Comparatively HF has the ingredients, short the meat, in individual bags, divided by meal, inside an insulation lined box. The meat is between 2 ice packs. The instruction cards, nutrition info, and a little booklet containing offers from them and others are outside of the insulation.

I grabbed the wet cards and had to figure out what ingredients went for which meal. There were 2 bags labeled "knick knacks" (which they apparently don't know the meaning of) that had the name of the meal but everything else was just dumped together. The food was still slightly cool so after dividing the ingredients into my own bags (from the shopping trip that was necessary because of the lateness of the packages arrival) and setting the instructions to dry, I threw the food in the fridge and went to bed. While I was sorting the ingredients I realized how little food has actually came. The next morning I searched their website for contact info (they do not make this easy) and sent them an email telling them of my concerns for the freshness of the product. I received not even a generic confirmation email all day.

Tonight I went ahead and cooked both meals, I was worried that waiting for a response was going to end up making the food go bad if it wasn't already so I went for it. They took way longer to prepare than the package stated and used a bunch of weird ingredients on the sides while the meat on both was simply salt, pepper, fry. One meal was ok, the other would have been far better without all of the extra ingredients. We didn't eat half of it and it was not because of portion size. Figuring out how to cancel was a headache too so I hope this helps someone. There was no cancelation fee.

Original review: May 28, 2018

When I decided to choose a home delivery meal service, I ordered one week from Blue Apron and the next week from HelloFresh. There is no comparison! Blue Apron has no pride in the delivery. Everything was just thrown into a giant silver insulated bag, within a box. There are a bunch of plastic bags with labels noting the meal they belong to. The food came cold and almost frozen. The entire presentation was very disappointing. They did not break things down as well as HelloFresh either. For instance, one recipe needed cheese. They provided the smallest sliced wedge of cheese I've ever seen. I skinned my hand trying to grate it. HelloFresh would have provided the cheese already grated, thus saving me precious time. Blue Apron recipes take a lot of hardware to prepare. I would not order from them again.

Original review: May 23, 2018

My husband David and I received a Blue Apron box with two recipes on a Friday. We made one of the recipes and really didn't like it. That same day, my husband sent an email to cancel the subscription. That next Friday, we received a second box! This second box we didn't want cost us $80 and on top of that, it came with the cooling packs partially melted and there was liquid throughout any package that was not completely sealed. Needless to say, we were not going to use those items as we were not sure if the liquid was water or some other coolant. They were shipped on Monday (5/14/18) at 4:43 pm and arrived on Friday (5/18/18) at 2:23 pm. My husband calls Blue Apron the same day. They tell him he didn't cancel in time. I call back the following Wednesday and speak to a very nice woman. She tells me that there is nothing she can do so I ask to speak to a supervisor.

I speak with floor supervisor Jared. Jared is not as nice. Instead of listening to me, he continuously repeats the same line about not being able to refund the box. Apparently, what we were supposed to do was skip our next box, then try to cancel on Monday. I explain that the box we did receive came with ingredients we cannot use. He offered a credit of $39.96, even though both recipes we paid $80 for were affected. After useless and tedious banter, I get the chance to speak to his supervisor, Dylan ** (pronounced 'die-lon'). While Dylan is pleasant and at least makes me feel listened to, he is unable to help. Since I am out of options, I ask him if the $39.95 will even cover a single order. Nope! That would cost me an extra $12.80 since the minimum you can order is $51.95.

I tell him there is no way I am giving more money to this company so I ask if the credit could at least be transferred to a friend who uses Blue Apron. I get put on a brief hold, then Dylan returns to explain that it wouldn't be possible. He does, however, ask that I send in the pictures so that I can help the company improve their quality. I said gladly. I have also gladly attached the pictures here as well (old veggies, peppers still in box with mystery liquid, and sauce bag unopened with spilled sauces).

Long story short, either go out and buy your own food to cook at home or go with an alternative meal subscription service and save yourself mediocre recipes and awful customer service. By the way, that friend of mine that continues to use Blue Apron gets spoiled ingredients very often. She just doesn't mind throwing them away and making the recipes with what's left. Guess I have higher standards than that. I will let her know that they offer credits for the spoiled ingredients.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I bought tickets for a concert and got $50 coupon for Blue Apron so I checked it out and read the fine print which I had to get a magnifying glass to read. Story short if I would have taken their coupon I would have to sign up for weekly deliveries and even with the coupon for two people would still be $25. But if I wanted to stop getting billed and stop getting their product there would be a process that would have to take place. What the what!!! There would be no process if they were taking my money but to get it to stop there's a process. Going online and looking into this more I find out they charge people $35 to cancel and it's a huge hassle. So listen people. Get off your butts and go to the store and pay 15% of what you'll pay with these ripoff idiots and google your recipes. Cooking is easy. You should not be. DONT BE TAKEN BY THIS RIPOFF COMPANY. THEY SUCK!!!

Original review: May 16, 2018

I have purchased at least 50 dinners through Blue Apron. Most were good. The problems is the $35 charge to cancel. Never saw this in the paperwork. Should not have to pay a fee to cancel. And yes... there is a fee. Beware! Rip Off.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I decided to give Blue Apron a try after listening to so many advertisements on Radio. On the day of delivery, I waited with anticipation and got an email around 6 pm about the delay in delivery. Finally, the box with 3 menus for the week was delivered after 7:30 pm. When raised the concern about late delivery, my disappointment and request to cancel the account; the customer service rep was very rude. By the way, for the health-conscious folks out there, Blue Apron's ingredients are NOT high quality, nothing was organic. Bad decision on my part, rather check for a membership with some local farm for fresh and quality produce.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I thought I would try it and like the first box sent. However, because of my work schedule, I found I did not have time to cook. I have been trying to cancel my membership since February. They send me the email, I check to cancel, I get the email that says my membership has been cancelled. And then a month later I get another box...I have just been charged for another box. This is a ridiculous waste of time & money!

Updated on 04/10/2018: After canceling my membership in February and again in March, as my previous complaint stated they billed me again in April... However, I had lost my card and rec'd a new one 03/29. I expected the charge to be declined as the card # on my Blue Apron membership was not the same as my new card. I contacted Bank of America about the April charge and was told that Blue Apron can obtained the new card #'s from VISA. I was NOT contacted by Blue Apron nor by Visa to verify a new #... I have filed a claim with Bank of America and have put a non-payment to Blue Apron for any future charges. BEWARE!!! This is totally unethical on the part of both Blue Apron and Visa. At the very least I should have been contacted. I am going to cancel my VISA cards and change over to MasterCard. What an inconvenience.

Original review: April 8, 2018

My experience with Blue Apron has been absolutely dreadful. I have used several subscription meal boxes in the past and was ready for a change that was more health-focused. I decided to try Blue Apron after seeing advertisements (which were not accurate) for Whole30 approved meals. I signed up and quickly found out that there were very few options that met my requirements. So before that first set of meals shipped, I decided to cancel and go with a different company. Cancelling through their website is almost impossible. They make you send an email to them and then you receive a link where you can cancel from a computer. So I put my iPad down, dug my laptop out of a drawer, and followed the instructions and thought I was in the clear.

However, yesterday I realized that I had been charged by them for another basket that I don’t want. I’m unable to change the meals they selected and I’m stuck getting food that I do not want and won’t use since I’m now using a company I’m MUCH happier about. And of course, their customer service line is only open from 10am-6pm ET Monday-Friday. Quite frankly, I’m appalled by the way Blue Apron handles their business practices and I will NEVER purposely buy anything from them again.

Original review: April 5, 2018

We have used Hello Fresh for a few months, and decided to try Blue Apron as it seemed to have more options. The first meal was rather simple to make, very few ingredients and smelled amazing. The taste was rather bland, the second meal, the produce had already gone bad. It tasted bland and left a very over processed taste in your mouth. The third meal was over salty, I had to use all my own produce again, because theirs had rotted.

We received this on Saturday, and the produce was bad by Sunday... my husband and I understand things can happen, so we were discussing meal too if we were going to use it again. We were supposed to have until Monday to decide. However, by Sunday we were already charged. The only positive thing I feel is that the meals are simple.

However, the packaging is not as organized, the food cannot be very fresh if it is rotting two days after getting it, and the tastes are not very good, you also need to be careful on them charging you, which has never been a concern with HelloFresh. Once we successfully get it canceled we will no longer be using this service, I saved more money and made better food on my own, it removes all convenience.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I ordered two weeks of this and two weeks of HelloFresh. By far Blue Apron was disgusting. I couldn’t wait to get my food. When I tasted it my whole family of 4 was disappointed. Everyone complained. I then ordered more weeks of HF. I tried to cancel by email twice with no luck, two days ill. Call you later. I received an email to cancel on my desktop. Luckily I have a desktop. If you need a discount from HelloFresh you can use mine. $40 off. You’ll love it. Can’t cook anything wrong and it’s tasty. Really tasty. I look forward to cooking each day. I use it for 6 meals a week. I’ve not tried the classic plan and I’m waiting on it. But so far the family plan is awesome. Oh the pro- my order arrived a day early and they take Apple Pay.

Original review: March 22, 2018

They charged my card after I cancelled my account. When I called to request a refund they refused and said they will ship an order (I didn't place that order, I do not want whatever it is they are sending) in 5 days. Absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I've been with Blue Apron for about 2 years now. I keep all of the recipe sheets and have gone back to create a couple of them myself. I get it 2 days out the week. It keeps me from going to the grocery store which I hate and it helps me come up with new ideas on dinner. I've recommended Blue Apron to a few people. The only issue I have are the portions. I chose the option for a household of 4. I have a household of 3 and there are hardly ever any leftovers and sometimes barely enough to feed 2 adult males and 1 female adult. Other than that, I love it.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Would anyone walk into a restaurant and pay money before seeing the menu or what the food looked like!? So why does Blue Apron ask you to pay before seeing the food selections? Doesn’t make me feel comfortable, sorry - no!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have canceled my account by email and also by phone call, leaving a voicemail message one month in advance rather to receive a delivery but it seems the only goal of Blue Apron is charge money to your credit card. This is ashamed and honestly recipes don't make me really happy comparing with the cost of the package offered. I am glad competition exist, they didn't put money back in my account but I will make sure my friends will be away from this disorganization.

Original review: March 18, 2018

We are over 50 kits now. We use the 3 meal kits. There has only been two "mis picks" on meals. This ratio is very low for deliveries. The food is excellent. We have saved all the cards, about 150 and sometimes go back and order these meals again. I would guess we have loved about 90 percent of the meals and liked the rest. There is not a membership cost, I have no idea what these people are talking about. Take a look at the website. No fees, quit anytime. Seriously would recommend this to anyone. The new Whole 30 meals rock.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I have been a BA customer for 3 years give or take and cannot understand the negative reviews. I rely so much now on BA that I would not know what to do if they weren't around. Before getting BA think to yourself, "do I have time to cook 3 nights a week? Am I okay with prepping the food? Do I want to cook more and learn more about cooking?" If it's yes, I say give it a try. Reading other reviews makes me just believe that people don't know how to handle expectations, aren't honest with themselves about what they have time for and want to do, don't do the research, and don't read the fine print; all of which are personal errors and not BA's fault. And if it has been BA's fault, they have a great customer service team.

I started BA as a college student on a limited income after I had been doing delivery/eating out all summer (hello expensive), and when I did buy groceries, finding recipes and shopping exhausted me, my meals were uninteresting (I'm not a good enough cook to just think of something to put together), and it would go bad half the time since I wasn't cooking. I was wasting my money, food, and time so I wanted to do a different approach as I'm okay with cooking and cutting up my food to get to the final product.

When I started, it was just me so I would have leftovers for lunch the next day and possibly some leftovers for a snack/light dinner. Then it was me and my boyfriend and there would be plenty of food. Now it's myself, my boyfriend, and my brother - small, perfect portions of food. The recipes are easy to follow and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to be able to share the cooking load with my boyfriend and brother. You can now choose any of the 6 recipe options (prior they would gray out some of the meals). We are meat eaters however, we have done the vegetarian option so we could learning all the different things you can do with vegetables and such. They are also doing random things like doing meals that follow The Whole 30 diet. There are Top-Chef recipes. There are 30 min or less recipes.

We eat out maybe once or twice a week and we have these amazing home cooked meals that taste amazing. Yes, they put all the items loose in the box (except the smaller, "knick-knacks", which go in a small lunch bag), and it is not at all difficult to figure out what is what as everything is labeled. I go through and separate everything and if, for some off chance, we are missing an ingredient, we let BA know and they are always quick to assist and remedy the situation. I like to put all the ingredients in one of my veggie/fruit bins and organize them near each other so they are quick to find.

I love the fact that not only do I not have to think too hard about what I am eating for dinner and what I need for dinner (I have 3 choices and I have all the ingredients), but also that if I don't choose a meal they just send me 3 meals according to my default food choice (vegetarian). It's great because most of the recipes that I would not have normally selected were amazing and the ones that I do select, usually aren't as amazing (broadening my taste buds). I recycle all that I can while I'm cooking and the plastic bags I am able to take to a location that recycles those.

We did HelloFresh! for ~3 weeks to see how we liked their product in comparison and were not nearly as impressed. For the same price as BA, I felt like the meats/sauces/etc were "eh" and the meals were just not as stand-out. Out of the 9 HF meals, we only really liked 2 of them; with BA we have liked the majority of what we get and the ones that aren't amazing, are still pretty darn delicious. Only improvements I would like are the recipes being clearer about what recipes are low-carb/high protein/low fat/etc. I will be trying out some more of the different food-kit delivery services so I can a broader idea of what's out there and maybe mix it up a little bit, but as of right now, BA has been a complete game-changer for me and my household and we are sticking to it.

Original review: March 8, 2018

It is 8:25pm and I am still waiting on my delivery!?? After calling the delivery service, LaserShip, I was told it could come as late as 9:30pm. WHO COMES TO SOMEONE'S HOME AT 9:30PM? When I called Blue Apron, no one was there. They leave at 6:00pm. After I left a voicemail, I received an email stating they received my voicemail and Blue Apron has my delivery between 8am and 9pm. If I want to cancel, here's the link!! They don't care that someone will call or knock on my door so late at night. What if we all went to bed and the food sat on the porch all night? THEY DON'T CARE!!! I wouldn't waste my time, the recipes aren't that great anyway. They take too long to prepare and don't offer a great selection of American dishes. Not worth the money! Eat out!

Original review: March 6, 2018

I had "skipped" meals for as long as I could on their site - 5 weeks. Somehow the 5 weeks flew by and I had no idea I was going to be sent another box without my permission after this 5 weeks. I think that they should be required to send a warning email to let you know you're about to receive a box (and of course $47.00 charge to your credit card) after you haven't been active with them for a period of time and give you the option to decline the box. I am out of town a lot, and will be for this delivery and am quite concerned that they are "tricking" people with this.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We were gifted 4 weeks of 2 meals a week. First week was OK (just OK). Second week not as good as the first. Third week confirmed that I would NEVER pay for this. BOTH recipes had issues. The Cajun Cod recipe they had substituted Tilapia (a cheap nasty bottom feeding freshwater fish that I wouldn't serve to my dog) in place of the Cod (a wild caught cold saltwater fish). I had to use my own Cod to prepare the meal. The chicken meal was supposed to have zucchini but there was none in the box (had to use some squash I had on hand). NONE of the recipes are easy to prepare, if you are not an experienced cook you are in trouble.

Whoever wrote the recipes isn't too sharp either. They repeatedly have you fry thing at high temperature in olive oil, which breaks down at high temperature. Experienced chefs know better and use grapeseed or similar oils for high temperature cooking. If you added salt in as many steps as is called for you would be way too salty as well. You may also expect more ingredients to be organic in what is supposed to be high end gourmet, but no luck there either. Overall, extremely disappointing. Week 3 recipes were: Baked Cajun Cod with Braised Cabbage and Lemon-Garlic potatoes. Harissa-Glazed Chicken Drumsticks With potato wedges and zucchini.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

We have been getting Blue Apron for the last few years almost religiously. Going through the pains of them figuring out better packing, some substandard recipes and shipment cooling measures we still remained loyal customers. Our largest complaint was with LaserShip and their inconsistent delivery. Several months ago Blue Apron assured we would be getting strictly FedEx for our continued shipments. This lasted for one delivery and it was back to LaserShip but it seemed they were getting a bit better. Today was the last of the honeymoon. Our shipment arrived relatively early but the driver proceeded to leave the delivery 20 feet away from the door and directly in the sunlight. Two cars in the driveway and no doorbell ring. We heard them drive off and immediately went to retrieve the sun tanning box baking in the morning Florida sun. The entire contents were warm and ice packing was completely melted.

Blue Apron was contacted and I demanded a refund for the shipment and a cancellation or our account. The rep accommodated us and apologized but remained extremely happy and polite with little to no regret on losing a customer. I never checked the reviews for Blue Apron because we were pretty happy but look before you join. It seems they've gotten larger than they can accommodate quality with a large enough following that they remain chipper at the thought of losing membership.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I use all meal delivery services because I like the variety. I hate that Blue Apron is an opt-in service, rather than opt-out. But, it is their business, so I make peace. However, they only send reminder emails if you have skipped that week to entice you, but rare or sparse or none reminder emails. I got a box when I was on vacation due to my own fault. However, the customer service team was unwilling to change the situation 6 days in advance of the timed delivery. They just recommend to have a neighbor try it out- 6 days in advance and you are willing to let food rot on a doorstep, rather than donate it (if they've already placed the order to their supplier I'm guessing)?

FINAL STRAW: they don't have a cancel account option on the website, so I called them to cancel. Now, weeks after I get an email that a box is being delivered tomorrow, wtf? Tried contacting customer service to beg for store credit, even though it's their fault. Clearly. I canceled cause I didn't hear anything for weeks, and I cancelled after the wasteful holiday box debacle. No Fs given by the team. Plated and HelloFresh are more responsive, and look to resolve issues.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

We were faithful HelloFresh users and wanted to give Blue Apron a try. We only gave Blue Apron two weeks. The first box we received was missing a can of kidney beans and the broccoli had black spots on it. The second box we received had moldy carrots and cabbage. I contact Blue Apron. Was given a credit of $25.84. However, because we cancelled our subscription we lost that credit EVEN THOUGH it was for what we had already purchased. The food is just thrown in a box.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My wife and young adult kids have thoroughly enjoyed Blue Apron for the past 2 years. It has revolutionized our dinners. The meals are nearly always interesting and delicious. We eat much healthier than we used to and have been introduced to things like baby bok choy, novel herbs and spices, and creative ideas in food design. Its been such a life enhancer by taking out the grind of daily meal planning and decreasing grocery shopping. More than anything, the experience has been fun. Our whole family frequently participates. The step by step directions are easy to follow.

Blue Apron compares favorably to other meal delivery services. We have and still continue to use Home Chef. We've used but have dropped HelloFresh. Blue Apron's meals generally tend to be more interesting, even sometimes a little exotic. Their food is always fresh. Produce is usually undamaged, and we really appreciate the antibiotic-free beef. The meals do tend to take a tad longer to prepare. HelloFresh was alright. Meals were simple and the quickest to prepare. Nothing terribly interesting. Good choice for families with young kids. We've used Home Chef for a few weeks now. It's good, too. Ingredients are fresh and well packaged. Cook and prep times are probably a little shorter than Blue Apron. Some of their meals have been delicious. Blue Apron is still probably our favorite.

Blue Apron expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.

• Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.

• Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.

• Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.

• Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.

• Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.

• Best for: Busy individuals and families, those interested in expanding their cooking skills and wine lovers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs