Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.49/5

Blue Apron Reviews

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

We have loved making our meals and have been a regular customer for 2 years. I would rate 95% of our meals at least a 4 or 5 out of 5 stars for the healthy flavorful meals. Meals are plentiful for 2 people and food is similar to what you can get in a fine restaurant. We get 3 meals a week. The meals usually take about 30-45 minutes to make and with all the ingredients and step by step (with photos) directions, it's easy to figure out. Our millennial daughter enjoyed our meals so much, she's a regular customer as well now that she's living in her own apartment. My sister in AZ first recommended Blue Apron to us and we couldn't be happier!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I have not tried any other meal kits, but I like Blue Apron. Their recipes are always tasty and easy to prepare. If you download their mobile app, you will get notifications when new recipes are out so you can confirm or simply change your menu. My only complaint is the waste. Everything comes in plastic one-time use packaging that gets thrown away with every dish. When a dish includes an ingredient such as honey, it is in a paper container, rather than plastic. I wish they would do that for all ingredients they send, as I feel like I am contributing to the waste that ends up in our landfills. Please consider not using plastic for everything, Blue Apron. Please and thank you.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Really enjoy the service. It has introduced me to a variety of ingredients, esp spices, that I had never used before. I also like the flexibility of selecting my meals and/or cancelling when needed. I rated Blue Apron a 4 rather than a 5 because the food choices have not been as interesting in the past 2-3 months---summer slow down maybe? I will continue to support them, but have reduced my orders form 2-3 per month to 1 per month over the past 3 months.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Meals very well done and thought out with just the right amounts of additions such as spices so no left over bits. Great quality ingredients and the right amount of unusual items to pique my interest. Plenty of variation in the menus and multiple choices. And so convenient. Actually came out less expensive than going to grocery and store and having to purchase larger quantities of items that may be disposed of. Better quality of many items than I could pick up locally seeing I live in a very rural area.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I tried Blue Apron due to having to care for my spouse, which made food shopping time consuming & difficult. Blue Apron was very accommodating to what I needed, I also could cancel meal deliveries when necessary without any penalties or extra charges. Everything came in the box, I chose the meals from I think it was 6 choices. The food can’t be kept too long as it is fresh when sent. It is priced well; I say that because you can’t get 6 meals at a decent restaurant anywhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: July 3, 2020

Only delivery that was mentioned as Mediterranean. Signed up as NOT wanting to do much PREP. Promised Wed delivery, day after hospital wife came home = perfect, so easy to sign up. They took our money pronto. Where's the Mediterranean? "Oh, scroll down and sometimes you can switch to one of those" WTH? Later said wrote: oh too bad delay = Friday. I changed it back to Wed. They changed it back to Fri. FedEx said more likely Sunday. FedEx then left this 1/2 iced (not dry ice?!?!?) in the street blocking a 110yd driveway they easily could manage AND turn around... SOP for UPS and also FedEx... Calling out to driver = sped away.

Open huge box to find 2 small grocery sacks (the little white plastic litter of the roads) that came from produce & fish market grocery style, inferior to what HEB now delivers to FRONT DOOR and COLD things that one has to cook FROM SCRATCH = UGH. Cancellation button is so hidden (and they know it) they suggest emailing them for instructions (go to Chat is better, even tho you wait in line for this as well) but found and now have to give a list of reasons WHY dumping them.

Now to get money back, dump the elephant box. Daughter said AFTER signing up her friends quit as well but some like the recipes... Cheaper to buy a cookbook, I say if so interested in cooking from SCRATCH.

Original review: June 30, 2020

So we have been trying out these fresh food meal delivery services to help with the craziness of returning to work mid pandemic....this experience was horrendous. We received our first meal delivery today, tried the service out with a discount coupon and ordered 2 meals this week serve 4 people each. We paid in advance as expected and once we received the meals today immediately realized we had been sent the an incorrect meal. It took 60 minutes on hold to reach a live person and they were very nice and credited our account for the incorrect meal. Unfortunately, after an 11 hour work day I still had to sort out a meal for my family.

I proceeded onto their website to schedule the next meal delivery and skipped a few weeks in July, immediately realized we wanted July 14 and went to choose our meals and were unable as they are sold out. They are sold out for the next 4 weeks actually. So we were sitting on a $75 credit we were unable to even redeem.

We got online with their customer service chat line, which took more time, and they were completely zero help. I was told that those weeks were sold out and there was nothing that could be done. I asked if in the future we had to order a month in advance and the CS rep basically shrugged. I just asked for the money to be credited to my account instead of the credit since I am unable to even use it. She happily did that and cancelled my account when I asked. They dont even care about retaining a customer. If you dont mind choosing your meals a month in advance I bet this is a good deal.

Original review: June 16, 2020

Am a new customer with Blue Apron. Loved the first two deliveries. The third box included rotten mushrooms and missing ingredients. Contacted Blue Apron right away via their contact us on their website. Three days later and still no response. Was upset so I put my linked credit card which they were going to use to bill my next order on hold since it was too late to cancel the next scheduled delivery. Sure enough I was contacted right away when the card was denied. Very sad that their customer service is non existent. Have canceled and will be trying one of their many competitors!!!

Original review: June 10, 2020

I just cancelled my subscription. Meals started to repeat and some were good and others ok. When I went to cancel I had to use a TPA (outside company). To cancel it was a $37 fee. Somehow that just doesn’t seem right. Lesson learned!

Original review: June 1, 2020

The company's cancellation policy is confused. I followed the cancellation policy posted on the website that stated to send an email for canceling the subscription on May 6th. After going back to the website and corrected the credit card information (huge mistake on my part!), they sent a food box last week. I wrote back to the Customer Service tagging my older email however they did not accept my cancellation by email and charged me again on my credit card this week sending another food box. This time I followed their "new" instructions that they send by email and not stated on the website's cancellation policy. The subscription is completed and Blue Apron is on my "do not do or recommend business list" forever.

Blue Apron author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.

• Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.

• Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.

• Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.

• Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.

• Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team