3.2/5 (813 ratings)

About Blue Apron

Blue Apron Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Never once have their recipes disappointed. The chefs are so advanced and it's like eating high end restaurant food. They take their time to put these tasteful recipes together and send all the ingredients with easy to follow instructions.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I decided to try Blue Apron when I saw a good deal. The meals are decent to excellent, easy to follow instructions for a fairly novice cook like myself. You'll want to pay close attention to how frozen the various meats are when you get your box as some meat and fish arrive fully frozen & will need some time to thaw before that meal can be prepared. I like the variety of starches their meals include - sometimes rice, sometimes pasta, sometimes orzo or farro, and I like that rather than have you cook with sugar & vinegar, they'll have you cook with raisins & olives to get those flavors in your food.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

On my path to becoming totally vegetarian, I chose this particular dish because I’m looking for recipes to keep me inspired and this one (plus others) is perfect! South Indian Squash Curry w/Jasmine Rice was fairly easy and quick, but mostly delicious! The spice blend packet was everything I wanted & I even learned how to properly cut up a butternut squash! A dish that inspires me, tastes wonderful, is good for me, and where I learned something new is a win X FOUR! Sincerely cannot wait to try my next vegetarian dish, which will either be Black Bean & Zucchini Enchiladas w/Cheddar Cheese OR Cheesy Focaccia Pizza w/Brussels Sprouts & Caramelized Onion! YUMMM!! SO happy I have this service to get me and keep me on the path to much-improved eating habits!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

When I first tried Blue Apron recipes I loved them very much, but then I noticed that the calories were very high with all the sauces they included in their recipes, so I stopped receiving my weekly orders and moved them to every other week and now I have completely stopped, but do like to order them every now and then. If the calories weren't that high, I would definitely continue ordering.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

When I first started using Blue Apron for meal delivery service it was great. Food was always fresh, only a few times we had issue with ingredients but Blue Apron provided us credits for the issues. Delivery was on time and always left on front porch. In the last few months things have gone downhill. The deliveries got later and later close to 9 pm. And now no deliveries are happening yet the tracking system per Lasership states package delivered at front door. Interesting as one of them stated delivery at 8:14 pm.

I was sitting in my family room next to front door and no one dropped anything off at that time at my front door. My camera has no person on my property around that time and my husband was outside and not one car past my house. We live on a road with 20 houses and no outlet past my house. So not sure where my package went as none of my neighbors received it on this road as we would have seen a car on the road go into our neighborhood and out.

I called the shipper 30 min later and they said this happens by accident sometimes it gets marked delivered but it's not. It happened 3 times in the last month for just me so how many "accidents" are happening. Sounds a bit fraudulent to me recognizing deliveries not delivered to customers to recognize the revenue... Blue Apron or Lasership. Then when I complained to Blue Apron they credited me my amount to use on my NEXT purchase. So I get no food and now I have to use my credit for the potential next order instead of getting my money back right away. Customers can't rely on this service anymore and families can't plan dinner for a week when food may or may not show up. Definitely will no longer use their service going forward. Buyer Beware!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I was on my front porch speaking to my neighbor when I received notification my box was delivered. We both looked around perplexed but just assumed it was dropped off at the wrong apartment. We both spent an hour searching for the box and no luck. I call Blue Apron and they told me to wait until 9 pm for it to be delivered. I told her I have the proof of delivery notification and that they allegedly delivered it an hour prior. The Blue Apron rep proceeded to tell me that their third party delivery agent, which was Fed-Ex, will sometimes state it was delivered even if though it wasn't yet and to wait until 9 pm. I asked how could they could provide proof of delivery if they haven't delivered yet? She offered to refund me immediately -- which I took. And I cancelled. I already spent close to an hour trying to track my package down and then calling. No thanks.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

I tried a number of times to receive food from Blue Apron, I even adjusted shipping preferences only to continuously receive a delay notification. Which makes the point of me having the service void if I can’t get the items on time to prepare the meals. This makes an already stressful day even more stressful. Additionally, I don’t have the time to go back and forth with customer service while trying to manage 3 kids.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I was really excited to try Blue Apron and they displayed a good intro deal. After signing up, the first box suggestions were not all my style and there were limited alternatives but we tried them as we were looking for something new. As a parent of three small children, we were looking for something to make after work and dinner easier. The first box arrived and the meat in the meals was really tough. Plus there was this sauce in one of the recipes that smelled putrid and called for ketchup. We ate around it and when we looked at the choices for next week decided to cancel.

I canceled on a Thursday, was told my next box was already in process so I couldn't cancel, the discounted rate was removed, and all tracking options for my account were reduced forcing me to call in rather than get info online. Then the next box I couldn't cancel never came and I was told I had to call in rather be helped online. Upon waiting on hold for customer service, I was told it was delayed by the carrier and it should be ok if it is a day late.

I reiterated my box was scheduled to be delivered today and I did not want to pay for rancid food. No one cared probably because I was canceling my account. I am now waiting to see if the box ever gets delivered. If it is and the contents are inedible I have been told I have to call back in again to try and get my money back. If you want easy, this is not the route for you. Due to this, I will never try this service again nor will I recommend it to others.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

Today, a week from when I was supposed to get my delivery, I received a huge box of rotting food from FEDEX that I can't even bring into my home. I contacted the company and they have refunded my money for this delivery and I also had them cancel the next. So far, I have suspended my services due to the problems with their FEDEX ground shipping carrier. My food sat in a warehouse just outside of my sitting for an entire week.

I would have expected that knowing the state of that delivery, they would have asked FEDEX to cancel and have it shipped back to them. Instead, I received a box of rotting food that I can't even put into our trash can, as it is in the garage. The package smells like a rotten corpse. The company is not bad, but be forewarned that the distribution is a mess. Yes, there are supply chain issues, but that is not new news. The company could have done better to sort their distribution early in anticipation or let customers know. I contacted the company about the package that was left for me today. I am awaiting a response. The food I have is rotten and represents a mockery of sustainability.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

My husband and I have been trying out different meal kit services to see which one we like (So far HelloFresh is beating everyone out). Our try with Blue Apron ended before we even got the first box. First of all, their site is super confusing, on HelloFresh it’s clear that you can swap out different meals for no extra charge or some that are premium do have an extra charge. When I thought I was doing the same thing with Blue Apron, it wanted to charge me an extra $80 just to swap out different meals that were not premium meals. So I just ended up going with whatever they had pre selected, even though I really didn’t like a few of them.

Then when I got the notification that my box was shipping, I noticed that the meals in it were totally different from what was originally in there and were even more meals that I wouldn’t like, including vegetarian options with tofu which I hadn’t selected because I loathe tofu. I figured we could just try them since it was already paid for but I definitely wanted to immediately cancel my account and not try another week with them. First of all, you have to email them to even get the cancellation instructions (every other service just puts it on their account page) and then when I went in to cancel the pages wouldn’t even load! I finally after a few hours got it to load and cancel but it’s clear this company is a complete scam! I will never ever sign up again. I’m hoping my food doesn’t come rotten like most other reviews on here say so I never have to deal with them again!

Blue Apron author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.

• Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.

• Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.

• Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.

• Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.

• Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.

Blue Apron Company Information