Blue Apron

Compare Meal Delivery Services

Research top Meal Delivery Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We received 4 meals for 4 people as a gift. The food was fresh and arrived on time in a box with ice packs. However, we were disappointed in the long prep time and the tasteless results. The portions were small but as no one wanted to finish their first serving it wasn't really an issue for our family. The options were limited when choosing meals each week on their website. A friend who previously ordered from Blue Apron called it "hipster food". I concur.

My family and I decided to sign up for Blue Apron to help alleviate meal planning stress and change up our "normal" meal circulation. We received 2 free meals, which was awesome... until we tried to prepare meal one. It was missing the "knick-knacks" bag to complete the meal. Total waste. We contacted Customer Service to make them aware of the situation and figure out how to remedy. They apologized and credited our account $25.00 to allow us to get one meal on them. Unfortunately, one meal is $35.00 and some change. Thanks for nothing, Blue Apron.

Here is the kicker. We prepared the second meal last night -- Italian Meatloaf and Fregola Sarda Pasta w/ Cauliflower. I was a bit taken aback from the GREEN cauliflower, but I continued making the recipe. The cauliflower was VERY dirty, so it took extra time to prepare, per instructed on the recipe card. Once I threw the cauliflower in a screaming, hot pan with 1 tsp of olive oil, WORMS started crawling out the cauliflower. GROSS... BEYOND GROSS. Ruined the entire meal. I pitched everything. I reached out the Blue Apron Customer Service this morning to make them aware of the disgusting situation. No resolution came of the conversation. I would not recommend this service to anyone. You can clearly not trust their product sourcing. They definitely do not have quality ingredients!

Received lots of meals as a gift from a family member, and looked forward to trying it. I signed up online, and found that there was no way to pick & choose which of their meals you wanted, you have to take what they're offering for that week. There's also no option to register an allergy (my son is allergic to nuts), and I noticed that the first meal was a dish with nuts. I called them & asked if it was possible to request meals without nuts, and they simply said "No." Okayyy. I went ahead and ordered a two-meal box, which arrived today, figuring I would just have to make him a separate meal.

Before this first delivery arrived, they emailed me stating that my account was closed. Since I haven't used up anywhere near all of my gift subscription, I spent time on their website, including the "Help" section, in vain. There are no options for reviewing your account -- in fact it won't let you do anything, until you enter your credit card information for future orders! It just feels like a cold attitude toward the customer. The meal was also a little more labor intensive than I expected -- (zesting lemons) and a bit of waste: they threw in a whole head of garlic, when the recipe called for only one clove of garlic, minced. I was also surprised that all three components of the meal --the fish, the rice, and the broccoli, all required the same seasoning: olive oil, salt & pepper, which gave everything the same flavor.

The company is a great idea, but they definitely need to work on their customer service, and I would think, in this day and age, that it wouldn't be an issue to accommodate a customer with an allergy. I'll TRY to order the rest of the meals in my gift subscription (if they can straighten out my "closed account,") but I won't be ordering any more from them after that. There are other companies who provide the same service, and I assume one can find better customer service among them.

I had high hopes for this service, and received a free box, as the service was referred from a friend. My impression was that it was OK, but involved significant, fiddly, time-consuming preparation. It was not for me. I was going to cancel the service but found it was "too late" at about a week out, so I had to accept the next one (this is the key to their sleazy system). When it arrived, two of the meals were OK, but one had a meat that had actually rotted, with an odor I have not experienced since I discovered a decomposing rat in my garage! I called them, and they give me a credit for one box, with the admonition that they would do it "just one time, as a gesture of good will." (!!!)

Since I was going to be out of town, I wanted to defer all shipments until I had time to accept them, but they won't let you do this - you can only "opt out" for a few weeks into the future. Sure enough, the next unwanted box arrived in about 4 weeks, and when I tried to stop the NEXT one - you guessed it - it was "too late", so it arrived anyway. I gave it away and cancelled the account. If they were an honest, above-board service, there would be an option to "opt-in" for those times when you want and need it, and not for the automatic deliveries only. My advice is to try it out, and immediately cancel the account QUICKLY, until you want it again, or you will get an unwanted weekly headache.

My wife and I have been customers of Blue Apron for over 2 years, and have ordered 3 meals almost every week during this time period. Initially, we were very impressed with the quality of the product and the variety of the meals. However, earlier this year we noted that the packaging seemed to be decreased in quality, and on multiple occasions the food products had leaked over the rest of the box, including on 2 separate occasions, the raw chicken. Needless to say, this was undesirable, and we contacted the company, to which they expressed their apologies and offered a refund for the meal that had leaked. They did not offer any compensation for the remainder of the meals that had been affected by the chicken leakage.

Most recently, we had ordered a shipment to be delivered on 12/17/16. When it had not arrived, the company very appropriately contacted us by phone and assured us that they were looking into it and that it would arrive on 12/18/16. When it did not arrive on 12/18/16, there was no attempt to contact us. On contacting them, we were asked to leave a message, and then received a very impersonal email stating that it should be discarded on arrival. After years of being a faithful customer, the lack of respect from the company has driven us to pursue other food service providers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

They have all shipping options making it convenient for everyone. I personally choose expedited shipping whenever I order anything from their company. It's easy to customize if you have a good allergy but not if you just don't like product. I hate cilantro and some items you can't order without it. The value is pretty decent. Nice portion sizes but be sure you have a snack for later. You will more than likely need it. Everything I have ordered has been there. No issues with shipping, payment, not quality. Considering all that they are pretty reliable.

Everything was pack wonderful to keep everything cold and fresh. Savory and simple ingredients to make the perfect size for you or your family. Love that recipe card are included to keep if you want to make it again in the near future. Never the same recipe. Always different culture of food. Customer experience service is amazing. Helps with every problem of just need help with the service plan. You want to pick always a sweet person on the phone or online chat. The value is wonderful. Always just the exact amount need to serve you and your family perfect portion and it comes with everything that you need. You can always relied on blue apron. Always something different each time. Never the same. Different culture from around the world or just something you eat on a daily bases just with a kick.

We had a lot shopping options which is very beneficial to the consumer. The meals are actually prepared and have the finest food quality available! Seafood customization is excellent and they offer a very wide variety of entrees that will suit everybody's needs! They have an ability to customize nearly any type of food entrees and specialty food product that the consumer will desire! Customization of food overall is outstanding

The company has fantastic value and prices to meet every consumer's needs! Their overall quality is superb which justifies the value of their products. What makes the value of their food great is that they are much lower price than other competitors on the market. Their overall service reliability is also exceptional in many times. The food is delivered in less than 30 minutes! The reliability is much greater than other competitors on the market. You have an exceptional delivery staff and always ensure that you get the best quality products available.

Was very convenient and arrived on time. Everything was packaged well and it was all intact. Nothing was damaged and all the food arrived at the proper temperature. All of the food that I chose looked liked I would have picked it out myself. It was all perfect and to the highest standard. The vegetables seemed to have been picked at their prime and the spices were absolutely the best of the best. The value of every piece of food was perfect. It all seemed to be the best of the best and the price for the whole meal was the best that anyone could have asked for. I don't think I could have gotten the cut of meat I did near where I lived. The ingredients were delivered a little after the time window that was given. But that was ok because the family was all running a bit behind schedule. I called and complained and was apologized to and told it wouldn't happen again.

Delivery to the door with options as to day of week when food is delivered. Packed in with cold packs which keep contents cold for about 8 hours. You can choose to receive the meals each week if you like the offerings. If you do not like what is scheduled for delivery, you can cancel and skip that week. You control when you get a meal delivery. It is a little pricey. You can purchase individual items yourself at the grocery store and spend less. But you have to buy more than you may need and may waste ingredients. In that case it may be better to get exactly what you need and not waste. You can expect the delivery if it is scheduled. The food and ingredients sent are of the highest quality. The meats and fish are always top quality. The vegetables and herbs are absolutely fresh and top quality.

The shipping options were great for me. I was very happy that I wouldn't be charged extra for shipping, and that I could order for a two-person household. However, I wish that I could have personalized my meals a bit more. I wanted to have a single-person meal plan, and no vegetarian meals. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do so. I could only choose between a two-person meal plan and a family meal-plan. The two-person meal plan is too expensive for me, especially if it's too much for me to eat in one sitting.

Also, I could not opt-out of vegetarian meals, like I wanted to. If you're extremely open to new things, this service is for you. If you're not, I don't recommend it. I got quite a bit of food (mainly because I got the two-person plan). However, I felt that the serving sizes were much too small, especially for young adults. The service was very reliable. It never arrived late, at least, for me, and I was satisfied with it. However, if you live in a more rural area, this may not hold true.

I had my package delivered directly to my home. I could have scheduled to have it delivered on a regular basis, but I wanted to try it out first. All of the ingredient and food options available were fresh and delicious. Most came in planned meals, but could be customized for special diet needs. As expected, you had to pay an appropriate price for such quality ingredients and for such speedy delivery. However, it was worth it to have such a good meal easily provided to me. The ingredients for my meal arrived in a timely fashion and I would expect that if I were to order this service again, I would receive the same quality service.

Many different delivery options that suit your life. I would use this service again if the need arose. Do not use this very often but nice to know that it's there and the service was professional. I would definitely recommend this service. They have very many different varieties and options to choose from. Prompt and the customer service is very helpful. I thought that the prices and selections are/were somewhat compatible with the stores on my area of the country. Some of the prices were a little bit more but don't mind when you need this service. Along with the selection and the prices their reliability was far superior to other companies that my family has used in the past and would most definitely recommend them.

There are many shipping options that fit different customers needs to ensure that the delivery makes it on time. I have been consistently pleased with the speed and efficiency of the shipment process. Options for everything you and your household could need which are customized to fit your needs. As I said before, I have been so pleased with this company! It's a great value, as well as fast, convenient and time saving. I always recommend and will continue to because this company is the best! They are super reliable. You choose the shipping option and your package will be there on that day, if not before. Rarely is the shipment incorrect in any way.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.
  • Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.
  • Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.
  • Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.
  • Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.
  • Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.
  • Best for Busy individuals and families, those interested in expanding their cooking skills and wine lovers.

Compare Meal Delivery Service