Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.49/5

Blue Apron Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: March 14, 2021

I decided to try Blue Apron when I saw a good deal. The meals are decent to excellent, easy to follow instructions for a fairly novice cook like myself. You'll want to pay close attention to how frozen the various meats are when you get your box as some meat and fish arrive fully frozen & will need some time to thaw before that meal can be prepared. I like the variety of starches their meals include - sometimes rice, sometimes pasta, sometimes orzo or farro, and I like that rather than have you cook with sugar & vinegar, they'll have you cook with raisins & olives to get those flavors in your food.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

On my path to becoming totally vegetarian, I chose this particular dish because I’m looking for recipes to keep me inspired and this one (plus others) is perfect! South Indian Squash Curry w/Jasmine Rice was fairly easy and quick, but mostly delicious! The spice blend packet was everything I wanted & I even learned how to properly cut up a butternut squash! A dish that inspires me, tastes wonderful, is good for me, and where I learned something new is a win X FOUR! Sincerely cannot wait to try my next vegetarian dish, which will either be Black Bean & Zucchini Enchiladas w/Cheddar Cheese OR Cheesy Focaccia Pizza w/Brussels Sprouts & Caramelized Onion! YUMMM!! SO happy I have this service to get me and keep me on the path to much-improved eating habits!

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

When I first tried Blue Apron recipes I loved them very much, but then I noticed that the calories were very high with all the sauces they included in their recipes, so I stopped receiving my weekly orders and moved them to every other week and now I have completely stopped, but do like to order them every now and then. If the calories weren't that high, I would definitely continue ordering.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

My home was burned to the ground and my insurance moved me into an apartment... I had limited cooking supplies, spices etc... I found having everything I needed delivered very, very helpful... There are a few recipes I still make even though I am now in a home. I almost always needed to add more veggies and a salad to most meals... Add more veg for health factor!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Before using this meal kit service I had limited cooking experience. I signed up for two meals of two servings per week. I am used to good food and considered to be a picky eater. I have now cooked 50 meals and with only one or two exceptions they were all excellent to outstanding. Unlike another meal service that I tried every ingredient is provided (except salt, pepper, and olive oil). If, for example, 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar is required it will be provided in a small bottle. There are usually four or five meal choices to select from a week in advance. I use their Android app. The delivery packaging is sensible, and the ice pack once thawed, is drain safe so you don't have to haul it out to the trash. In one shipment there were some minor ingredients missing. When I called their customer support they did not charge me anything for that meal.

Original review: May 10, 2021

My husband and I used Blue Apron for a few months, and almost every box we received had an ingredient that was either missing or spoiled. Also, they take forever to respond to your emails when you contact them. We will be going back to using Hello Fresh ASAP.

Original review: April 9, 2021

The meals were decent but not spectacular. Lots of veggies and not too much prep, so I really liked that. I would still be using them if it weren't for the delivery issues. They couldn't deliver on their own schedule. 3 out of the last 4 weeks came a day late. The help lady said on the website today said that the food should be discarded. That isn't what they said earlier. The first box that came late also had breakage. The help lady was very nice and credited me for the meal that was damaged. I didn't expect that.

Two weeks later I get notified that they are going to substitute a sauce so that my meal arrives on time. It didn't arrive until the next day and still had the substitute sauce. (Really sucked to be me that week.) So I email again, and they tell me to have the box delivered a day earlier so that I will have the meal by my delivery date. I am not happy about that. They tell me that they are working on fixing the issue, but can't tell me when it will be fixed and are a bit snarky. Then they tell me to get it delivered 2 days early. More snark in that response, still no answer to when the problem will be fixed. They blame FedEx, but FedEx doesn't seem to be having any problems locally with anyone but Blue Apron. I suspect that they can't get the boxes together in time for the FedEx pick up.

My box didn't come yesterday, either. The email notification on the delay comes at 5:33pm each time there is a delay--so not really enough time to make alternate plans. Today I canceled the service. The rep on the website was very kind--much better than the ones I've been emailing. If I want an extra serving of snark I will go find some angry teenagers. I don't need to pay for that service. Back to the grocery for me!

Original review: March 14, 2021

Our family was gifted a couple of months worth of weekly Blue Apron meals and wine. The meals were a nice experience (except for the tilapia on all 3 occasions, not fresh). What completely ruined it is that the "gift" turns into an opt-out subscription service with absolutely no notification that the gift amount will run out soon. All of a sudden we saw a couple hundred dollars on our credit card bill from Blue Apron, for a service we never sought out to have. It was a *gift* to us that resulted in hundreds of dollars in just a matter of a few weeks.

Gift subscriptions should be opt-in for continuation of the subscription or, at the very least, the gift recipient should be very clearly notified that their gift credit is about to run out. It's a sleazy move and Blue Apron designed it to be that way. And about the wine, well, since it's alcohol you must be home to sign for it. We were home only once of the three shipments and after 3 attempts, UPS will no longer deliver it to you without paying a fee. Again, another great gift that turned into a headache.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I felt compelled to create an account on ConsumerAffairs to write about my negative experience to warn other customers. When I signed up for my account, I had $100 off over 5 deliveries, an average of $20 off per delivery to $39.94. I canceled my account due to poor ingredients and recipes not tasting good. The next day after cancelling, Blue Apron continued to charge me. They charged me $59.94. I asked, "Why did you charge me after I canceled?" They said it was because I had that week of meals selected for delivery. You know, when you sign up, you select your meals for the next 4-6 weeks ahead of time? So they were basically saying that even though I canceled my account, I had meals selected and scheduled for delivery, so they continued charging!

And what’s even more ridiculous is that, since I canceled my account, I lost the -$20 bonus, so the charge was $59.94 instead of $39.94. When I complained to customer service they shouldn’t have charged me after canceling, they said no refunds or credits can be given. So before you cancel, first PAUSE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES OR DELAY THEM FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL WEEKS, and then cancel. BECAUSE THEY WILL CONTINUE TO CHARGE YOUR ACCOUNT EVEN AFTER YOU CANCEL, as they had done to me.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I have received 3 damaged shipments from this company. One meal arrived with raw chicken leaking and the entire meal had to be thrown out. Each time they refused to refund my money and only give a credit to buy more of their product, which continues to arrive damaged with items that can not be used.

Blue Apron author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.

• Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.

• Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.

• Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.

• Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.

• Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team