Blue Apron

Compare Meal Delivery Services

Research top Meal Delivery Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Bought this product with a 1/2 price coupon. PROS: The box contents arrived in good shape. The ice packs were still frozen and everything was well packaged and fresh. The meals were generous and tasted quite good and easy to prepare. CONS: I did not like sorting through the box to separate all the ingredients for the 3 meals. I also didn't like that the same ingredients were used for more than 1 meal. For example, yellow squash was used for 2 dinners. I wondered if they had a truck load of the ingredient and wanted to use it in as many dishes as possible! I also did not care for how the recipes were written. The steps seemed awkward to me. I cancelled after the first delivery.

I received 6 weeks worth of meals and honestly, have no complaint about the, delivery, quality, quantity of my meals. Yes, a bottle leaked, yes, my basil could have been more fresh but overall, no real complaint. Over time, I realized 2 meals per week would better suit my situation than the 3 I was receiving but that was not offered on their site. Then, my niece tells me of an email she just received offering a 2 meals per week plan. Great! I looked at the website again and it still wasn't an option for me. I emailed the customer service folks and the response was, "Sorry it's not available to all customers at this time." What kind of crock is that? I complained and moments later... like magic, it's now available on my log-in. Here's the catch - 3 meals per box (2 servings each) is $59.94 = $19.98 per meal. 2 meals per box (2 servings each) is $47.95 PLUS $7.99 shipping = $18.65 per meal. What kind of idiot would choose option #2?

I decide to cancel my membership. Not so fast! You can't cancel from the website. You can't even remove your credit card from the website!!! You have to send an email to their customer service... who then provides you with another email address cancellations@blueapron.com that you have to request to cancel. Then, the response comes with a link where you have to articulate exactly why you want to cancel!!! In addition, be sure to cancel ALL upcoming orders or they will charge you for them even if they are not shipped! When I finally received my confirmation email that the account was cancelled, it's really just inactive as it can be reinstated at any time. How? Because they keep your credit card details forever!!! Great product/concept... Horrible customer service and business practices! Colour me done.

Okay, let's just say I am starting the process to file a complaint with the BBB about Blue Apron. I had a "free" meal from my sister to use. In theory that is a great idea -- give people a trial to see if they like your product. Here's how it went: I got the box, and it sat outside in the heat & humidity of DC. The ice packs in the bag were busted and thawed, so the gel inside them leaked all over the food -- including the unpacked food. The egg had fallen out of the container and broke inside the bag; a bottle of soy sauce opened during travel and spilled all over inside the bag; the tomatoes had fallen out and were all smashed up in the bag. By the time I got home, the meat was starting to smell, even the insulated bag was leaking and the box it was in was completely wet and mushy. I ended up having to buy a lot of my own ingredients to make the recipes because their packaging is so bad.

As soon as I opened the box and saw the mess, I tried to cancel. In order to cancel your order, you have to go to a web page that just gives you an email account to send a note to. That account sends you an email within a few days with directions on how to cancel your order. You go through the whole process, and your account is canceled. Then, about 4 days later, you end up with a charge for almost $50 -- and no new packaged that the charge is for. They literally charge you for a product that have no intention of sending you. NEXT -- you call their customer service phone number to get a refund on this charge. However, their customer service phone number literally just sends you to their "FAQ" website. They are charging people for products they do not give you. That... Feels unethical and maybe even illegal. If a friend sends you a code for a free Blue Apron do not use it.

I thought I would try Blue Apron and made my first order. I then went back and realized I did not understand the pricing, and that it was something I simply could not afford. I called customer service and spoke to a woman who was so kind and understanding and she immediately refunded my money to me. She did say that she was not able to stop the shipment and said that I could use or donate the products that I received. The package arrived yesterday. It is absolutely amazing. I will make these dinners this weekend. Looking at what I received though, I realized it is NOT overpriced. I hope to restart my subscription as soon as I can.

I took their offer for 1st time users for 50% off. Sounds good -- paid $29+. Then cancelled before 2nd order had been processed. There was a $35 cancellation fee. (allegedly by a third party.) In essence I paid $5 more for this order!. I definitely will watch my credit card for any unauthorized charges. To me this was a rip-off and I will never use them again! Who charges for a cancellation!!! They didn't have to restock anything!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

I have used both Blue Apron and Plated. I prefer the Blue Apron meals, hands down. However, their delivery was so inconsistent, I was throwing it out more weeks than actually being able to use it. Delivery would be delayed a day or more (and considering it was with FedEx for 72 hours already), there is no way the food could be kept fresh, and it wasn't always kept refrigerated as they told me. I complained numerous times and told they would not let this continue to happen. Yeah--big lie. So I checked the delivery for both Plated and Blue Apron. Both use FedEx. Plated has the good sense to ship overnight. They send Monday and I get Tuesday. Blue Apron is too cheap to do so. They ship Tuesday and I would get Friday, and then it was delayed til Sat or Mon most of the time. Very disappointing. Charge $5 and ship overnight people. This is not rocket science.

The food quality was good. We were a little concerned about the box sitting on our front porch all day in Texas heat, and remaining fresh. I am not saying it wouldn't work, but we were concerned. The recipes and effort to organize and cook the food were just too much work. Occasionally too many carbs too. So then I decided to cancel. Wow, that was rough. They have a 3 or 4 step process. I called in, their own voicemail indicates how messed up their customer service was. That was at the end of July. They have since removed the message. The customer service said they would call me back. Instead they emailed me. They wouldn't call me back and you were forced to leave a message. So I did all of the process to cancel. Then kept receiving boxes. Now, month later, 60.00 x 4 = 240.00 they say it's finally cancelled. Pretty rough.

My food never showed up on the scheduled delivery date of Saturday. I got an email late at night saying it would come Sunday. Then Sunday night I got another email saying it would never come. Then they had the never to tell me that they would be refunding my money. No kidding! I never even received the shipment. Then I tried to cancel the service Sunday night and was told that my account couldn't be canceled until after the following week's shipment. I tried to speak to several employees and kept getting the same response. Horrible customer service and experience!

#BlueApron. We HAD been happy with Blue Apron until this week. We were missing two key ingredients this week from the box leaving a missing ingredient from two of the three meals. The best they can do is credit $5 per ingredient to your account with NO partial refunds for those missing ingredients. This means that to get my money back from the ingredients that they didn't send me, I have to order from them again. We weren't even that happy with the meals this time. We felt the quality had declined. Why would I want to give them more of my business just to get something back that they owe me from their mistake?

Also, the point of these services is convenience. Missing an ingredient can be quite a big deal. I've canceled my Blue Apron account. I think they would have to send a personal chef next time in order for me to consider accepting even a free box from them right now. All they would've had to do to make things right is to refund $10 to my card because I do understand that mistakes happen. I don't think that was asking for too much. I felt compelled to share this with you all and I told them I would be spreading the word. So far we've been happy with #HelloFresh and #HomeChef.

I am a single guy and I would eat out and/or eat fast food a lot. For my job I travel and buying ahead of time just to see it go bad while I am away is a waste. The company I work for supplied Blue Apron with some equipment and I was able to see the inside of one of their facilities. It was very clean and since I knew how the inside worked I decided to try them. I have been using them for several months now and I find the ingredients to be very good. I have had one delivery that wasn't on time and I had a refund before I knew it was going to be late. I have never had a problem with the portion size and since I am by myself I always get two meals out of every recipe. I don't like every recipe but that's what you get when you start trying new things and I am okay with that. For anyone who doesn't like to shop I would give it a try.

To say my husband and I are enjoying all aspects of the Blue Apron experience is an understatement. Produce and meat is fresh and top quality. Preparation is fun and something we do together here. Love having recipes and ingredients provided and in exact quantities needed. No shopping. Enjoy trying new types of food. Would never try on our own. And, have I mentioned meals are delicious. Highly recommend.

One of our friends got us a gift card for 3 meals. First off, these meals take WAY TOO LONG for working adults to make. Second, their food is NOT FRESH! And that leads me to point three, we didn't even get the meat for two of the three meals! This is not a deal, nor is it "fine" dining. As a front-of-house manager of two separate restaurants, this would get chefs fired at either establishment if they tried passing this off as "fine" dining. This is neither a deal, nor is it even luxury dining. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!

Had received a few deliveries and found that some items were spoiled or warm (chicken) when I opened the box. As I found that I was throwing out more than I cooked, I have tried to cancel my membership. Tried and tried. Yet, the box keeps coming. Last week I put a hold on any more deliveries for the next month. The company makes it very hard to cancel. Very unethical and unprofessional. Not a reputable way to conduct business.

Ordered their meals and got a discount on the first week. Received food on Thursday August 3. Called to cancel Friday Aug 4 and told me I had to buy one more week of food one day later and already processing my order. No just a way to recover the discounted week. No way to do business.

This has been a terrible experience. After joining with them I found it was impossible to cancel my service. They refuse to answer emails and continue to charge my account. The last box that arrived was moldy and I had requested it be delayed until a later date and it was shipped anyway. My complaints are typical of everything I've read here and it seems to be how they do business. Wish I had checked consumer reports first!!

The eggs were cracked and the Sherry vinegar I needed from my recipe was all over my box. I emailed customer service on 7/14 - I was told I would receive a refund of $39.96 as I have canceled my account. It is now 7/27 - still haven't received this credit. Blue Apron is a joke.

I signed up for Blue Apron with a 60% off coupon that I received via email. With the coupon, I thought it was a fair price. I chose my 3 meals for the week, all of which sounded good. I was disappointed upon receiving the food based on the portion sizes. I signed up for a 2 person meal plan and the first meal was 1 steak that was to be cut in half for 2 people. The 2nd meal looked like 2 large chicken breasts when ordering but what they sent was 2 small chicken thighs. Overall, there wasn't enough food for my boyfriend and I. I had to buy additional food at the grocery store to supplement the Blue Apron meals.

Given the 60% off coupon I'm still glad we tried it, but if we were paying full-price this would be way more upsetting. The meals tasted good, so that was a plus at least, just not enough food. The other downside was there was a lot of prep. It said on the recipe it would take 15 minutes to prep and it took way longer than that. I had to wash, peel, de-seed, chop and dice 8 different ingredients - a big to-do for a weeknight meal. Also, the earliest day in the week for delivery in my area was Wednesday, which means I'd be cooking Blue Apron on Friday (or Saturday night) which is when I typically go out. It would be nice to receive the boxes on Monday for easier weeknight cooking.

A friend of mine had a free trial to give out for Blue Apron and my husband and I decided to give it a try since it was free. Yes, I did have to enter our credit card number, but I was fully aware of having to skip weeks or cancel my account entirely so as not to be charged for future meals. Blue Apron made all of this clear when I signed up for my free meals. We were able to choose which day of the week the delivery worked for us (helpful with our busy schedules this summer) and we had a wide range of recipes to choose from. We were incredibly satisfied with the three meals we chose. They arrived packed well and still fresh (even though my husband forgot about our delivery on our front porch in the hot sun) and the ingredients were of quality. The recipes themselves were very easy to complete with step-by-step instructions and photos and every ingredient got used and was pre-portioned out saving time measuring.

All three meals were really delicious, and although the ingredients looked like a small amount, once cooked we had more than enough food for the two of us - sometimes even with leftovers. The flavor combinations are some I wouldn't have thought of, but they all married beautifully and it was fun trying out some different recipes. We live in a rural area and rarely eat out - the grocery store in our town is incredibly affordable which allows me to meal plan for the week and grocery shop on a budget. Blue Apron made our busy weeknights far easier when it came time to cook dinner; I didn't have to think of a recipe in advance, shop for the ingredients (with inevitable leftover ingredients), or measure anything to cook. But for our lifestyle Blue Apron doesn't make sense since we cook every night as is and can do so much more affordably than $10 a portion.

We also usually make extra to take to work the next day so that was another downside to a meal delivery service. I made sure to skip 5 weeks out after receiving my delivery and it was very easy to cancel the subscription completely. All you have to do is send them an email (I had a response within 5 minutes) and then you click a link to cancel. Their customer service was great and they wanted to make sure I wasn't canceling because I was unhappy. Right now Blue Apron doesn't work for our lifestyle, but some day it might! I would absolutely recommend to a friend.

I figured I would try this program out and I regret this decision. Not only was I very unhappy with the service or I guess the way that the concept turned out but they made it impossible to cancel. The website shows you a history of what you did with them but doesn't give the option to cancel. I skipped 5 weeks in a row (as this is all that is visible when you are on the site unless you log in weekly) in hopes that this would take me off of the order. Well, that didn't work and the next thing I know I'm receiving another email that I have an order in transit. When I called to cancel this as I didn't want to go through this process of stressful meal prep once again, they told me that the subscription is weekly.

They don't tell you when or give you the option to opt out of deliveries unless you log in religiously to cancel/skip. After speaking with a supervisor and listening to them apologize for their terms and conditions she was willing to credit me for the next order but not for the one that will be delivered tomorrow. How does that make sense? I haven't even received it yet! If gave me a credit for the next order I would also be enrolled once again. I would then be going through this once again. I want a credit for the order I haven't received nor want. Very unhelpful, unreasonable company. I will be sure to tell my friends.

A friend recommended Blue Apron. The food is first quality, organic. The recipes are absolutely delicious and simple. The serving amount is perfect for two people. I like the no leftovers. The packaging is not overdone as I read someone said. Inside one 11x14x10 box are two ice blocks covered by one piece of cardboard, on top of that an insulated package that contains all the food. Everything arrives fresh and cold, no bad or rotten products. Everything is labeled so there is no question on what everything is. I am learning to cook new things and enjoy something different, exciting and delicious. A nice change from the same ole thing. It is a real time saver and has actually cut down on my food bill. I am a very happy customer.

I thought I had cancelled my account with Blue Apron months ago, after using a gift card from my brother-in-law. Fun fact, they make it as difficult as possible to cancel with them! I haven't received a delivery in months, and all of a sudden, out of the blue, I get an email today stating that my delivery is on its way. What delivery?

So I go to their website and get the customer service number. There is no one available on the weekends, and it goes straight to voicemail. I log into the website, and there is nowhere under my account that I can cancel. Turns out, I have to send an email to get directions to cancel it. Seriously? What other online service requires this? Already, there is a pending charge on my card, and since it is pending, I can't dispute it yet, but I fully intend on disputing it. I am not paying for something I did not order, something I did not want, something that I believed was cancelled months ago.

The food prep is very time consuming. Did not like it and cancelled 2 days after receiving the meals. They still charged our credit card and sent another box. Called customer service and management wouldn't do anything about it. Never using them AGAIN.

A gift from a friend when I was under the weather, Blue Apron is hardly better than bird seed. First, to accept your gift you must enroll and give them your credit card information. Then, you have to choose 3 meals from a list of dreadful choices. The order arrives on a Thursday - not great if you don't want to cook over the weekend. Oh, the order must have been on the truck for a while since the ice packs were melted and produce was wilted and bruised. The recipes were convoluted, and servings were small for two adults. One recipe, risotto, was inedible since tomato paste was used as flavoring. By the third day, I had to buy ingredients to supplement what was left for the last meal. Unless you are a sparrow, save your money and order out.

My order from last week. I received the bag asparagus with head very mushy. The order of two people we received. The trout fillet really good taste but, the bad part one of the fish fillet was for a child meal, very small. Today, I received an incomplete package. My fresh pasta sheets are missing. Red Harissa Paste was not close correctly and spilled all over inside of the paper bag. I did not have chance last week to send email about the issues since I was very busy. But, now it seems other issue missing ingredients... Answer for Blue Apron: "...We want each order to be complete, and it seems we’ve missed the mark this time. The reasons be part of this service... Save time driving, save time doing groceries, eating healthy meals..."

For the money Whole Foods has the quality and cheaper... by the way you have to cook their ingredients. I know it's a big inconvenience to have to run to the store or do without. I wish I could replace it myself! I feel terrible that you don't have the main ingredient for this recipe, so I've added a total of $29.97 credit... They put the credit to their own account not to my bank account. Good luck new consumers... Blue Apron do not refund to your bank account. "Be careful!"

I have received food that is already starting to spoil by the time I get it. Then I went and skipped all of my deliveries and I was unable to skip one because it was too far out, so when I went online to skip it they had already charged my card, this was a week before the food was supposed to be delivered. I know that they do not ship the food a week out, they ship it the day of or before because it is with freezer packs. They refused to cancel the delivery or return money back even though I would not be in town that day so the food would just sit and rot for a week. They had more than enough time to correct the delivery, since I called 6 days before it was going to be sent. Terrible waste of money and food. Most companies, would have cancelled that delivery because at that point they wouldn't have even packed it up.

Canceling from Blue Apron is a consumer nightmare. Despite multiple requests, the company first indicated I was required to complete paperwork to cancel my account, I did this, the orders continued. I called and indicated correspondence with re-sending the paperwork for cancellation, although indicated as received... the orders continued. I called various times and the representative had no record of previous calls or the order cancellation. I have noted various other reviews indicating the same issues with canceling orders from Blue Apron, there appears to be no correction by the company. The issues with canceling the service continue. I have canceled the order again online today... but oh yes, my cancellation is too late. I will receive and be responsible for paying for yet another order that I canceled a service for several months ago.

I friend gifted us a Blue Apron order. I'm sure they thought it was a kind gift, but Blue Apron is terrible. The amount of packaging is obscene. The ingredients are often things that you already have in your kitchen or garden, so it causes food waste. We didn't want to continue and asked not to continue, but they continued shipping anyway. We received a shipment we didn't order and didn't want, on a Saturday, but their customer service line is closed on the weekends, so we couldn't stop, refuse or send back to order because FedEx (another terrible company) dumped it on our front porch without knocking. We will never use Blue Apron again and discourage others from participating is this monumental waste of food and resources. If you care at all for the environment, you will never use this service.

My daughter purchased Blue Apron plan for $59.94/mo and then changed apartments and cancelled the plan. Not very easy - she had to get an email from them and then there was no real confirmation during the online process. It turns out it never cancelled anything. I called them and they said that merely logging into your account again reactivates the deliveries. They have been delivering to her old apartment for months! When I asked to get a refund they would only refund the last single delivery despite another attempt to cancel 3 weeks ago.

When I asked to talk to their management, they said no supervisors were available. I finally had to call them back to cancel everything and then had to dispute the 4 months of charges on my Visa.They just want to keep your money and make cancelling as difficult as possible. According to web searches I did there used to be a way to cancel online through your settings but they've removed that option making it even harder. The food and recipes were OK to good but often items came spoiled or damaged.

So every time I order Blue Apron the delivery was delayed. Food came smashed and didn't look good. Portions were poor (not enough for 2 healthy adults). I tried many times to get my delivery, they said the delivery was delayed but they never said the delivery was cancel. Horrible service, horrible customer service. I do not recommend Blue Apron. Home Chef is 10x better.

This company is awful. I signed up but then realized they will only deliver Thursday through Saturday, and I need the meals for weeknights. I attempted to cancel immediately after signing up but you have to wait for them to email you back and they never did. You can't just cancel on their website, it's very shady. So, they still delivered and I came home after being away for three days to a box of smelly rotten fish by my front door. I have contacted them and they told me I didn't cancel my order within the window they allow for cancellation (even though I signed up 20 minutes before). They won't refund me and still insist on sending another box and charging me. I am out of town during delivery, and will be gone for two weeks. So when I return home once again I will come home to a smelly box of rotten food. This company is a scam. Use HelloFresh instead, they are way better.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.
  • Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.
  • Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.
  • Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.
  • Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.
  • Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.
  • Best for Busy individuals and families, those interested in expanding their cooking skills and wine lovers.

Compare Meal Delivery Service