3.5/5 (1468 ratings)

About Blue Apron

Blue Apron Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Blue Apron recently claims to give a $130 credit to teachers with a $100 gift card. They did not give me either but instead charged me 2 months subscription which is basically $60 a month. I got 6 meals in the 2 weeks but got charged for 2 months of subscription and did not receive my credits. So I paid $120 for 6 meals that fed me one person. I might as well have eaten out. Instead I had to cook it all and pay $20 per meal. Don’t trust their false advertising. Tried contacting them multiple times and have not heard back from them. No customer service at all.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I decided to try Blue Apron because my daughter was encouraging me to cook and I didn't enjoy the food and preparation times. I tried canceling yesterday and they sent me another order and I tried talking to Customer Service about giving me a refund on the order I did not want and they said no. I will not buy from companies that take your credit card then just automatically send it before asking me. Don't buy from this company.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

I have tried multiple different meal subscription services over the past several years. I decided to go with Blue Apron a little less than a year ago and have been really happy with the ingredients and accuracy of my deliveries. The meals for the most part have tasted great, as well and were fairly easy to prepare. I was so happy I had finally found a meal subscription service that I was happy with. That is, until they raised their prices without informing me.

In May, apparently their prices raised by seven dollars, per delivery. I remember thinking how odd it was that blue apron hadn’t gouged their customers yet due to inflation. I didn’t even realize they had been charging me more until I decided to check. Sure enough, I have been charged extra without even being informed. I looked back on recent emails to see if there was a notification and lo and behold, months ago, amongst the barrage of weekly emails they send me, I found a notification at the bottom of the email. Was it in the subject line? New prices effective in May? No. It was cleverly hidden in a vague email that looked like junk. I refuse to stay with deceptive companies. If blue apron had been a little more transparent about price increases and put that in the subject line so that I would have been an informed customer, I would’ve stayed with them. But what a sneaky, underhanded thing to do. I will choose a meal delivery service in the future. One I can trust.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

I’ve tried just about every meal subscription service and this is honestly the worst. I feel as if they try to create fancy sounding meals but they end up just not tasting good. The ingredients they include is just bland, as is the whole meal. I would much rather recommend Home Chef or Hello Fresh.

Original review: July 18, 2022

I came across a Blue Apron Discount for under $4 per meal and couldn't resist. What a bargain, right? Not so much. I couldn't apply my coupon code to my order so I called customer service. The rep was incredibly rude and eventually hung up in my face when SHE got frustrated that the discount wasn't displaying properly. I eventually did order 4 meals and the next problem arose with delivery. They use a company called Veho to deliver on Saturdays. They give up to an 8-hour window which means being confined to your house for an entire Saturday so your box isn't in the sun for hours.

After the 4 meals came I was over it, but to my surprise, I got a text notice that 2 unexpected meals were en route which ruined my Saturday plans for the 3rd week in a row. One was a tilapia dish and the other some gross spinach and bean dish I'd never pick. When I called they said that they selected the 3 meals based on order history. So I canceled my service but I'm stuck with these meals I don't want! The rep I spoke to was super passive-aggressive with me which confirmed my decision. The worst part is the recipes are sub-par and time-consuming! I don't recommend this service.

Original review: June 9, 2022

We knew we were in for a bad time when we first opened the box and all of the ingredients are randomly tossed together with a few smaller ingredients in unmarked bags that you have to rummage through. A lot of the directions are off on certain cook times and such that you really have to be aware of to avoid ruining the food. Worst of all is we paid extra for a specific meal and they left out over half of the ingredients! Worst experience I've ever had with a meal ordering company, avoid at all costs!

Original review: May 17, 2022

Many recipes aren't what they claim to be (Enchiladas are really burritos, "shawarma" is just chunks of meat with a seasoning packet, for example). They rely too much on shoving things into the oven even when that is going to give you overcooked, dried out food. This is generally because the piece of protein is too small for oven cooking or "roasting" as they tend to term everything. (For example, pieces of cod that are about 1/2" thick.) They will cook be ruined cooking them in the oven for 10 minutes at 450. If things aren't just shoved in the oven they are cooked on medium-high heat for the entire length of the cooking time. Again, it leads to over cooked, dried out food.

Everything is cooked in olive oil, regardless of whether or not that is the best choice. They send bread for some sandwiches that gets moldy really, really fast. They say to store it in the refrigerator even though that is something you should never do. (It's science - bread stored in the fridge gets overly chewy and tough because of the way the structure of the bread interacts with the environment of the fridge.) It's like they hired people to develop their recipes that only have a vague notion of how to cook. That may be why they only allow you to comment on individual recipes if you sign in with Facebook, which I have cancelled. If you limit the number of people who can talk about the problems with recipes you don't have to deal with having incompetent people coming up with them.

On the other hand, with a bit of skill I have been able to rescue most of the recipes so that they still taste good. My wife and I have seen better numbers at the doctor's office since eating these meals. Because everything is pre-packaged and measured out we have reduced our food waste by a lot. Our delivery comes regularly on Thursdays and have come to enjoy opening the box to see what is in it, even when the ingredients and cooking methods end up being stupid. I have enough cooking experience and knowledge to recognize when the recipes are poorly written so I can prevent them from being awful. I would not recommend Blue Apron to people who cannot do this.

Original review: May 16, 2022

Just signed up through a promotion with a big discount supposedly but after I gave card info the site dropped without showing me the charge. Did not receive receipt on my Gmail either at that time. But did receive a welcome Gmail. This made me suspicious so I tried and tried to access account info for charge but site wouldn't let me but did say promotion discount couldn't be used. So I cancelled. After I cancelled they sent a receipt and were charging me the regular price not discount price.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I recently signed up to receive two meals per week. I did this by clicking on an ad in my email. Unfortunately, my wife and I had had a pre-pandemic account with them. A new account and the old account were both activated by the signup and two boxes began arriving each week. Two emails and a phone call were required to inactivate the duplicate account. This worked for a month and then two boxes again began to arrive. Called about it and would have been happy if they just again canceled one account. The reason for this negative review is that instead of simply apologizing and maybe refunding the charge for their mistake, the company representative stated that I had contacted them and reinstated the second account.

Original review: April 10, 2022

Horrible company. Was given a $1000 GC as part of a raffle. Decided I’ll try the company out. Received the first box and actually ended up getting food poisoning. After I reached out to them, I went to cancel my future transactions and noticed my account went from $1,000 credits to $17. When I asked them why it was removed, they said “we can’t tell you why”. I currently am discussing with the State Attorney generals office over consumer practices. Was told they are currently being investigated for other claims. Was sorry I fell for this scam of a company.

Blue Apron author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.

• Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.

• Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.

• Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.

• Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.

• Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.

Blue Apron Company Information