3.4/5 (1257 ratings)

About Blue Apron

Blue Apron Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Apron?

Original review: June 9, 2022

We knew we were in for a bad time when we first opened the box and all of the ingredients are randomly tossed together with a few smaller ingredients in unmarked bags that you have to rummage through. A lot of the directions are off on certain cook times and such that you really have to be aware of to avoid ruining the food. Worst of all is we paid extra for a specific meal and they left out over half of the ingredients! Worst experience I've ever had with a meal ordering company, avoid at all costs!

Original review: May 17, 2022

Many recipes aren't what they claim to be (Enchiladas are really burritos, "shawarma" is just chunks of meat with a seasoning packet, for example). They rely too much on shoving things into the oven even when that is going to give you overcooked, dried out food. This is generally because the piece of protein is too small for oven cooking or "roasting" as they tend to term everything. (For example, pieces of cod that are about 1/2" thick.) They will cook be ruined cooking them in the oven for 10 minutes at 450. If things aren't just shoved in the oven they are cooked on medium-high heat for the entire length of the cooking time. Again, it leads to over cooked, dried out food.

Everything is cooked in olive oil, regardless of whether or not that is the best choice. They send bread for some sandwiches that gets moldy really, really fast. They say to store it in the refrigerator even though that is something you should never do. (It's science - bread stored in the fridge gets overly chewy and tough because of the way the structure of the bread interacts with the environment of the fridge.) It's like they hired people to develop their recipes that only have a vague notion of how to cook. That may be why they only allow you to comment on individual recipes if you sign in with Facebook, which I have cancelled. If you limit the number of people who can talk about the problems with recipes you don't have to deal with having incompetent people coming up with them.

On the other hand, with a bit of skill I have been able to rescue most of the recipes so that they still taste good. My wife and I have seen better numbers at the doctor's office since eating these meals. Because everything is pre-packaged and measured out we have reduced our food waste by a lot. Our delivery comes regularly on Thursdays and have come to enjoy opening the box to see what is in it, even when the ingredients and cooking methods end up being stupid. I have enough cooking experience and knowledge to recognize when the recipes are poorly written so I can prevent them from being awful. I would not recommend Blue Apron to people who cannot do this.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2022

Just signed up through a promotion with a big discount supposedly but after I gave card info the site dropped without showing me the charge. Did not receive receipt on my Gmail either at that time. But did receive a welcome Gmail. This made me suspicious so I tried and tried to access account info for charge but site wouldn't let me but did say promotion discount couldn't be used. So I cancelled. After I cancelled they sent a receipt and were charging me the regular price not discount price.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I recently signed up to receive two meals per week. I did this by clicking on an ad in my email. Unfortunately, my wife and I had had a pre-pandemic account with them. A new account and the old account were both activated by the signup and two boxes began arriving each week. Two emails and a phone call were required to inactivate the duplicate account. This worked for a month and then two boxes again began to arrive. Called about it and would have been happy if they just again canceled one account. The reason for this negative review is that instead of simply apologizing and maybe refunding the charge for their mistake, the company representative stated that I had contacted them and reinstated the second account.

Original review: April 10, 2022

Horrible company. Was given a $1000 GC as part of a raffle. Decided I’ll try the company out. Received the first box and actually ended up getting food poisoning. After I reached out to them, I went to cancel my future transactions and noticed my account went from $1,000 credits to $17. When I asked them why it was removed, they said “we can’t tell you why”. I currently am discussing with the State Attorney generals office over consumer practices. Was told they are currently being investigated for other claims. Was sorry I fell for this scam of a company.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I decided to do a test first order. Order process went well. Pictures of food looked good. BUT, being a successful company involves actually shipping the order! FedEx showed they creating a shipping label on Monday and I was charged. On Thursday I called since FedEx still showed no progress (still only shipping label created). I opened a Chat Thursday since it was obviously to me I would not receive it on my Saturday delivery date if it had not even really been shipped yet. Customer service said my order was not even in the works! I asked for money back and to cancel the membership. LOL, customer service wanted to know why I wanted to cancel my membership.

Original review: March 3, 2022

My wife and I are at home only on weekends. We set it up so that the meals would arrive Saturday and this would be our Saturday, Sunday dinners. 3 months straight meals were always 2 to 3 days late with Blue Ribbon promising to refund our money. They do not refund the money as promised, they credit your Blue Apron account towards future purchases. With so much food being tossed in the trash, we cancelled our service and by cancelling the service we forfeit all the money we paid.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

Just received my first order and it's sad to say I won't be able to try their food, the delivery driver delivered my food warm, he must not know about safe food handling, the box must've been under his car's heating on the floor board, if I hadn't been home to receive this box, I wouldn't have know it was as warm on delivery and would've eaten the food and got sick, they offered to replace the box, I refused, how am I supposed to know if the next box will be cold on delivery, so I canceled my account. Buyer beware!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Received trial boxes. Vegetables were not good and preparation was a nightmare. Cost $37 to cancel without finishing the discounted boxes. Almost every pan in our kitchen was used. Too much fried food. No complaint about the fish or meat.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

After trying other food delivery companies Blue Apron has been the worst. My first order came with one block of melted ice. Not even a bit chill. I won't be able to try the food since it hasn't been kept at the right temperature. It could be at risk of causing Salmonella, etc. The ordering is easy and you can pick your recipes just like other delivery services. Another thing is that to cancel you have to email adding an extra step to the process. However, after the email the cancelation was pretty easy.

Blue Apron author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2012 in New York City, Blue Apron delivers fresh ingredients and recipes to customers who then prepare and cook the food themselves. The company also offers a monthly wine subscription of six wines with pairing notes.

• Hormone-free: Their high-quality food is all free of hormones and antibiotics.

• Hormone-free: The food portions are all under 1,000 calories for those seeking to limit their caloric intake.

• Unique recipes: The recipes they provide are unique and never repeated during the year.

• Customizable: Taste preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into account when a customer's menu is planned.

• Wine and kitchen utensils: They offer an additional wine service and also sell kitchen utensils for convenience.

• Farm-fresh: Their food is purchased from smaller farms to help promote economic growth.

Blue Apron Company Information