Looking for a weight loss solution?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.05/5

bistroMD Reviews

Original review: May 6, 2019

The food ranges from absolutely terrible to tolerable but not tasty. Three days after receiving my first delivery I cancelled my service and sent the company a note with my feedback. Their response was to add garlic powder and try other dishes. No thank you, I’m done and will probably trash the remaining food. Besides the bad taste it is highly processed and the ingredients appear to be poor quality.

Original review: May 6, 2019

This may not be a fair review as I’m only one meal in and I can’t eat it. It’s the turkey sausage and egg breakfast sandwich. I’ve eat 1/2 of it and that’s all I can force myself to eat. It makes me gag and I can’t even tell you what it is other than the smell and the taste. I’m so disappointed. I needed this to work for me but if you don’t like the taste you’re just not going to eat it and probably make poorer choices afterwards. I tried the plan for menopause, once I tasted it, I know I should have researched it more before buying.

I searched online for more info and found Consumer Affairs. If you can’t smell and have no taste buds this might work for you. But if that’s the case you wouldn't have found BistroMD because you wouldn’t have an eating issue, probably. I do hate to write negative reviews but people will want to know how it tastes. I’ve canceled too late and my second week will be shipped soon. As I said, this may not be a fair review only being a single meal in. I will attempt lunch and dinner and if I need to change this review I will.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. The food I received was completely unacceptable. Some of it was uncooked even after reheating and some meals were actually rotten to the point that they smelled so bad I couldn't even throw them out in the house. The food that was edible, can be compared to cardboard both in taste and quality. Nothing about this meal plan is fresh. I contacted customer service immediately after discovering this and never received a response. I had to reach out 2 more times and only got a response back when I told them I was going to the Better Business Bureau. At that point, they put the blame back on me and told me they wouldn't issue a refund. The company has a "satisfaction guarantee" but apparently that doesn't help protect unsatisfied customers.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Biggest gripe is that bistroMD meals are super bland if you don't add salt or spices...and vegetarian meals are disgusting and rely heavily on soggy, slimy okra and eggplant. Each bistroMD meal costs about $10 dollars and you could easily get equally nutritious and better tasting frozen food from the supermarket for half the price.

Additionally, if you don't stay on top of customizing your bistroMD selections, they will slowly begin to send you more and more meals that no one else will intentionally order... The meals that they try to unload on you lean heavily on tilapia, okra, eggplant, and pasta. These meals are basically inedible slop... My dog will eat anything but he won't touch that bistroMD garbage.

Lastly, when bistroMD missed two shipments last month, instead of refunding $380, they just sent double shipments the next week. So, not only do I have to buy my own food the two weeks bistroMD failed to deliver, I also don't have room in the freezer for the double shipments when they actually show up. So like I said, stay on top of bistroMD or they will inevitably try to slip things by you.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Overall I like the idea of getting a meal made for me by a dietitian to my door and am willing to pay a little more for this, but bistroMD's prices are way too high and their service is not as advertised. I expected to talk to someone who would learn about me, my eating habits and learn my nutritional needs. Instead, I get a meal program like any other that is impersonal and made for the masses. How can a dietitian make meals specifically designed for me when they know nothing about me other than my sex and date of birth?

On top of this, you want to charge me $200 a week for this plan. This is way too much money for the services you are providing. In reality, I can get another meal plan for half that price and use the free App "My Fitness Pal" to get the same computer advice and the ability to watch what I eat. I am extremely disappointed. I think there is a need in America for a program like this, but unfortunately, bistroMD missed the mark. IMHO the meals and "service" are not worth their exorbitant $200 per week fee and I think they know this. Hopefully, they will fix their model and let's see if this review is even published on their website or will they delete it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about bistroMD?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I purchased the menopause plan 5 meals per day including a snack. OMG the food is horrible including the snacks. Ok well the breakfast meals were pretty good. I'm eating one now as I am hungry but it's for lunch. The snacks taste like cardboard. The presentation on the website has everything looking really good. I must also say the customer service the few times I had to call or email was great, Hence 2 stars. I really expected to be in this long term. But the lunch and dinner meals did not taste good at all. I cancelled after the first week of food. Also too expensive.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have lost 15 pounds so far this year by eating bistroMD for 10 meals each week - lunch and dinner. I think the food is great! Some are not my favorite but there are plenty that I do like a lot. I am a busy 50 year old female, 5'4" and weigh 133 - down from 148. The food is healthy and tasty, and prepared by a nutritionist. They send a FedEx Tracking #, and if I am not at home, it's easy to know when it will be delivered, and when it is on my front porch. The packing is done so well that even with the dry ice melted, the temperature is still frozen. I have tested it with a thermometer and always feel good that the food is safe. I hope to lose another 10 pounds before I go on maintenance, and will continue to use BMD for the taste and convenience.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

The meals from bistroMD are delicious. Some I have tried aren’t to my taste, but the ones I like, I love. The foods are frozen, but if you read the directions, it says to let them thaw 12 hours before microwaving. That improves the taste a great deal. The seasoning is robust and unique enough to stave off boredom. However, I could eat the Beef and vegetable soup with red wine for every meal. Why not just get frozen meals from the grocery store? Because the portions are weighed toward the protein side. There is a lot of protein in each entree, a small amount of carbohydrate, and a generous portion of vegetables. I hate cooked vegetables but they do something to the broccoli that make it very tasty. You get two snacks in addition to the meals each day.

So the other real plus is you get one on one consultations with a dietitian and trainer. If you are at a plateau or as in my case, I could not eat a whole meal to start with, the dietitian will give you advice based onto type of diet you have, your meal choices, and snacks. Exercise is added on week four and a trainer will help you choose things appropriate to your level of activity and strength. The important thing here is if it just about the food, you are not utilizing all the resources to make your weight loss successful. Having professionals to consult makes a big difference if you have been frustrated on other diets.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

The process is complicated and inflexible (food arrives on their schedule and they give you a *three day window* each week which is nonnegotiable). Moreover, meals are frozen on arrival and thus far, tasteless. They are poorer in quality and higher in fat that your standard Lean Cuisine, SmartOnes, or Healthy Choice Fare. They seemed unsurprised when we canceled and didn’t even ask why! I’d recommend against this particular service. Seems more hype than substance...

Original review: June 6, 2018

The food is absolutely disgusting. Do not order this product under any circumstances. The abundance of positive reviews are fake and should not be believed. The food comes old, frozen and loaded with additives/preservatives and is certainly not cooked by a real chef. It is very unhealthy and tastes terrible. I honestly couldn't give any of it away and ended up throwing it all out in the garbage. I tried to get my money back within the legal amount of time that they should be required to refund me and they refused. They told me that it was my fault for not reading the fine print and looking at the ingredients first. You are better off buying any frozen meal product over this, which it would be cheaper and taste better. This is a scam. Don't do it.

bistroMD Company Information