2.5/5 (73 ratings)

About bistroMD

Plans from bistroMD provide meals for either seven or five days per week. You can choose all three meals per day or only lunches and dinners for those days. Meals contain a healthy combination of complex carbs, fiber, protein and fats to help you lose weight. Dieters also get guidance and support to help reach their weight loss goals.

Pros

• Cancel any time
  • Wide selection
  • Flexible plans

Cons

• Long hold times for customer service
  • Not everyone likes the taste

Bottom Line

Meal plans from bistroMD are developed by dieticians. Select from programs designed for men and women, plus plans for heart health, menopause, diabetic-friendly plans and gluten-free diets.

Top bistroMD Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

…. Meal planning, shopping and preparation was daunting to me. As a widow and 67 years old, I just no longer wanted to deal with all that, so just didn't know what I was going to ...

Verified

… I can't say enough about how pleased I am. I have always had a hard time calling "healthy" meals good, but these really are. I look forward to eating them every day - and this i...

What is bistroMD?

bistroMD is a weight-loss program that sends you frozen, prepackaged meals. When you enroll in the program, bistroMD sends frozen meals to your door each week.

It also offers the support of a dietician, who you can meet with one-on-one or in a group, and weekly updates to help you stay motivated on your weight loss journey. Employees are also available to answer questions on how to live a healthier lifestyle outside of the kitchen.

How much does bistroMD cost?

As of publishing, bistroMD prices start at $97 per week for five lunches and five dinners. Full programs for women cost $142 per week and include seven breakfasts, seven lunches and six dinners per week.

The company offers a 25%-off coupon and free shipping on your first week of meals. Its prices are competitive when compared to buying the range of ingredients needed for fresh, healthy meals each day.

bistroMD plans

bistroMD offers a variety of available plans based on different dietary preferences and needs. Select from the following available programs:

• Women’s Program
  • Men’s Program
  • Heart Healthy Program
  • Gluten-free Program
  • Diabetic-friendly Program
  • Menopause Program

bistroMD’s prepacked meal plans are flexible and don't require a long-term commitment. Once you’ve picked your weight loss program and selected entrees, bistroMD builds a personalized diet plan for you to help you burn fat and live an overall healthier lifestyle.

You can skip any week that you don’t want the meals or put your account on hold. bistroMD has a team of customer service representatives available online and over the phone who can help you cancel.

bistroMD FAQ

Are bistroMD meals frozen?
Yes, bistroMD meals are made from fresh ingredients and then frozen. They can be heated up and are ready to serve in minutes.
Can you cancel bistroMD?
Yes, you can cancel bistroMD or pause your membership. You must cancel before the weekly deadline, however, or you will be charged for that week’s plan.
Where is bistroMD located?
bistroMD is headquartered in Naples, Florida.
Where is bistroMD available?
bistroMD is available for delivery in all 50 states. However, there are some restrictions for those who live in Alaska, where deliveries are only available in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Eagle River.
Is bistroMD good?
Yes, bistroMD offers high-quality food without nitrates and other additives.

Is bistroMD worth it?

bistroMD is good for those who want to lose weight but don’t have time to prepare healthy, nutritious meals. Many customer reviews indicate that you can save time with bistroMD’s prepackaged meals without having to sacrifice the quality of their food. We also like that the food is made without nitrates and other additives.

bistroMD Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about bistroMD?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I CANNOT BELIEVE the horrific food this company sends out. They advertise all these beautifully plated FRESH meals on their website, but what you get is a tiny, horrifically bad frozen dinner that does not even compete with the cheapest of frozen meals at the grocery store. What's worse, is that it's NOT HEALTHY. Cutting the portion is not a "chef-created diet"!! RICE NOT Diebetically friendly - white rice is not low-carb! Lastly, they charge $180 a week for this slop. There are so many other much better plans with real fresh food for less. This company needs to be charged with fraud.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

After fighting with the billing department for over a week I am canceling my subscription. This company's website advertises a weekly rate of $104 for the program from the previous price of $139 plus tax and shipping. I have screenshots of the cost of the program I signed up for. The four weeks I have been a part of the program I have been charged $139+ per week. I have emailed the billing department numerous times and they have argued that the prices was never $104 even though that is what is on their website even at this very moment.

They refused to refund me the additional $35 a week I was charged and instead argued with me over the phone when I finally called in because I was getting nowhere with the staff via email. Not to mention the food was watery, tasteless and not very good for the price they are charging customers. I have since cancelled my subscription and will be leaving negative reviews warning everyone of the scam that is BistroMD. You will also be interested to know that BistroMD is NOT accredited by the Better Business Bureau and currently has an F rating with a slew of complaints from customers like me.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I researched probably about 40 prepared food delivery companies and came down to BistroMD. I have been on this program pretty much for over 6 months and lost a lot of weight and their food is superb....Biggest issues have had is communication with customer service and their answer is always "NO". Weeks after weeks they would send me identical meals when in fact they have hundreds to choose from. Why I ask. "That shouldn't happen,: she says. Well it does and continues to happen so their "nutritional specialists, etc." are not doing their job or their whole computer system is ** up.... SO I had to every week pick my damn items which takes a lot of time so I didn't get the same damn Seabass 4 times when they have 10 other fish options that week. And I continued to do that for month and was fine. Lots of glitches along the way but they always refunded the money which is not the answer to me.

I want my meals or it throws off my diet. They would come in warm at times as shipping got messed up. Dishes food comes in were cracked, substituting meals with other meals as they were out of stock. I have so many documented emails and recordings from them to prove my point, but not really worth it. Then I receive a notice the next shipment is going up in price and I said, "No way." They seemed not to give 2 ** if they lost a customer. After all this ** you want me to pay you more. SO this manager Kimberly told me NO and then I said I would go above and beyond her to the owners and I did but they are too much of a coward to respond to their customers. And the message came down the line to lower management and Kimberly got defensive and said tuff ** in other words....then a week later her email blocked me out of the portal and said no more communication with this company....

I would like nothing more than management to be fired and the owners listed to the customers....No reason why you locked me out and took away 200 a week in business. At this point I hope you guys go out of business and lose everything as remember "the customer is always right" And whether you like constructive criticism or not it works. This is so sad as their food is very good and it worked for me. RIP you cowards.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I just received my second lunch+dinner+snacks package (5 days), and upon opening one of the plastic food trays is broken open, so the rice that was in it fell out into the shipping box. Upon taking out the other meals *NOT A SINGLE ONE WAS SEALED*. My first delivery was much better, but one of the packages was also not properly sealed. When I contacted bistroMD, the person "helping" me said (paraphrasing) "We're sorry to hear you're having problems, we've refunded you $13.00 *as a courtesy*, but you can eat the food even if the seal is broken".

WHAT? I'm not paying $13-$15 per meal to not have it sealed. Anyone ever go to the grocery store and search for the opened frozen meals over the properly sealed ones? The food is overall not bad, but sending broken trays of food or unsealed trays is not sanitary, and for the cost bistroMD should be able to fix their packaging issues.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

I Was very impressed when I read that it was created by a doctor, I spent 800 dollars on this nasty diet plan. The food came frozen and was damaged as it travelled for very long. I did not lose even one pound. So please save your money and time.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

First it is important to know that the average hold time is over 20 minutes and the people that you reach clearly cannot resolve your issue. I received a notice on the website that they could not process my credit card. I then went online with my credit card company and it shows as being charged. Yesterday I called and held for 30 minutes and the agent continued to state that the card was declined. We then joined a call together with Chase and she was confirmed (on a recorded Chase line) that the card had been approved. Then we confirmed the billing address. She said she would get this resolved and get back with me.

Today I called, held for 20 minutes and this agent said that she showed everything that I just stated but that her supervisor said it was a bank error and the address and zip code they show on file is incorrect. I pulled everything up again and sent a screen shot. NOTHING. They still claim it is the bank's fault but a follow up call with the bank confirms the same thing they confirmed for the agent at Bistro MD yesterday.

I have been happy with the product and successful with the weight loss but I will NOT provide a different card while this shows on my current card. I have not yet decided if I will move on to another option to finish the 2nd 1/2 of my weight loss or not as they claim I will need to call them back (like I have another hour to waste) to provide another card to get my shipment.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Got my first delivery yesterday. Had two meals so far and both were just gross, tasteless, and really inedible. I canceled this morning, but it is already past the deadline, so I will be getting another shipment next week that I have to force down because I don't want to waste money. Do yourself a favor, if you are able, just buy those Cafe Steamers in the frozen section. They are way cheaper and they taste good.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I was pleased with my first few weeks of bistroMD meal deliveries. As a diet plan, it worked really well for me; I was not hungry, had plenty of energy, and was dropping 1-2 pounds each week. The quality was reasonable, and I liked most of what I received. But the last two weeks have been incredibly frustrating. Deliveries took ***8 days*** to ship from Indiana to Wisconsin via FedEx. Tracking info and delivery predictions were completely unreliable. In both cases a box of melted slop was eventually dumped outside my garage by FedEx. There is no solution and no recourse. It is not possible to upgrade delivery or request a different carrier.

I did get a refund from bistroMD for the first delayed box, and am expecting a refund for the second. I have also canceled my bistroMD subscription and am going to try Freshly next. They don’t offer nearly the same variety of meals, and they don’t offer breakfasts, but their prices are pretty good and you can choose the day you want your meals delivered. For busy people who need to know when perishable deliveries are arriving, that’s critical. I don’t understand why bistroMD is so weak in this area, but I am thoroughly disappointed and tired of dealing with them.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Day 4 of waiting for my food, I'm starting to suspect it may have not just have been FedEx's fault. Also, this company uses the same hidden trans fats as every other TV dinner company. Anytime you see 0g trans fats on a label they can legally hide up to 0.49g of trans fats in the food as part of the FDA. (If you don't want trans fats in your diet look for labels that don't even say 0g trans fats.) There's no RDA for trans fats, they are linked to Atherosclerosis. Even the heart healthy options have hydrogenated oils. Now we just have to ask if this is neglect or malevolence. In their attempt to check all the boxes they forgot the one about giving a crud about your health. This is near 200 dollars a week to starve. Just eat healthy organic, free range, grass fed food and end this nightmare.

Original review: July 20, 2021

I've been a customer of BistroMD for a long time, but their food trays are dangerous. They use low-grade food trays that become brittle under extreme cold (such as dry shipping). The trays shatter while being shipped in dry ice. The shards of sharp plastic become hidden in the food. The consumer can be severely hurt. I've complained to them about this matter in at least six emails however, profits mean more than the safety of their customers so they stick with brittle plastic trays. It's actually a shame because their food is better than most and their menu is extensive. I guess I will take an injured customer's lawsuit for them to change it.

bistroMD Company Information