3.50/5
Based on 18 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 4, 2018

18 bistroMD Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 4, 2018

I was expecting so much from this company and had very high hopes. The food is bland and tastes as though no effort was made to add herbs, spices or any interesting textures at all, added salt and pepper and any attempt on my part to add herbs and spices makes the food taste worse. If these recipes were in fact developed by an actual licensed dietitian, that person may want to obtain a more in-depth education with a focus on cooking food that is healthy, flavorful and enjoyable to eat.

Most of the snacks are inedible. After attempting to eat the meals I have discovered that virtually all of the meat this company uses is tough, flavorless and of extremely poor quality. My dog, who will eat nearly everything he is given, ignores all of it. The "turkey sausage" included in a number of the breakfast meals is especially heinous. The vegetables are not of good quality and are cooked to the point of being flavorless and become mush in the microwave. Fresh vegetables should NEVER be mushy!

I am stuck with 2 weeks worth of meals, that cost me more than $300, that I cannot eat. If I had purchased any of this "food" in a grocery store I would have demanded an immediate refund! I have made four attempts to reach this company by email to cancel my account and the email address the company had provided for customer service is not correct. I will be calling to cancel my account and requesting a refund. After some research, I found it would be about half of the cost to put together the same program using frozen low-fat, low-carb frozen meals available from any grocery store.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Great customer service online, nice choices, reasonably priced, well packaged, great containers, easy cooking instructions, healthy recipes, quality food... BUT out of 21 dinners ordered, I think one or two were kind of tasty. For the most part, these are the most bland meals I've ever encountered. If I was wearing a blindfold and sampling several of these dishes, they would all taste the same to me. Some of the meals were downright weird &/or disgusting - glistening, flavorless, slimy are adjectives that came to mind. I so wanted to like these, but I have to be honest. They are the pits. Lean Cuisines are delicious compared to BistroMD and much cheaper. No doubt BistroMD's meals are healthy/balanced, but if you can't eat them without gagging at times, there's no point.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have use this type of service in the past and had a very good experience. I figured now that I am working 2 jobs and am trying to eat healthier I would give this a try... Major issues encountered, did not make delivery promise time, contacted me about delay. Did not communicate that I would not be receiving my customized menu and there was no option or way to adjust it for the week I was receiving. Was not able to set delivery date. And received a bunch of food I did not want and will not eat. What I have eaten so far was ok, but it seems like I can better quality from grocery store frozen dinners. Contacted customer service about my issues. Never responded just canceled my subscription. Good luck on your business!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Very unsatisfied with my experience & the taste of food with bistroMD. I’m not one to bash anyone and have never given a review before until now. I was sent another shipment of food that I DID NOT ask for and charged $199 before I could even make sure I liked the first weeks meals that I received. Very upsetting so please make sure you cancel after you order so they can’t take advantage of you in the fine print. Also, the quality of food is quite poor in my opinion. Out of the 21 meals there was honestly only 1 meal that I could force down. They are high in sodium which I wasn’t aware of and it’s no better tasting than a TV dinner you buy at Walmart to be honest. I'm a bodybuilder with a tough schedule so I was looking to make my diet easier and have it prepped. Never ever again. I wouldn’t recommend these to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

This program advertises it as workable for vegetarian/pescatarian diets. When I first signed up, it looked like I would have a long list of choices each week. Since I don't eat domesticated animals, I checked this carefully and the website suggested there would be about 30 different choices (mostly fish, but also some vegetarian). I was very happy with the food I got the first week. I received 10 different entrees for lunch and dinner. Some of the snacks have artificial sweeteners, but there were enough choices that I thought I could avoid those in the future.

Then after the first week of food arrives, only 4 entree choices and a smaller number of snacks were suddenly available. I was given many different reasons for this from a website glitch to a west coast based shortage due to overwhelming demand. Then finally someone admitted that not all choices are available every week and there actually are only 4 entree choices in the categories I selected. The same limited 4 entrees were available for the following week. Then because I had limited my choices, they only built a menu around 4 entrees (2 days) and left the rest of the week unfilled. The second week I was billed for the full week even though they were not sending 10 entrees.

After many hours researching, selecting this program and being hopeful it would actually work for me I discovered it is not what it appears to be at all. After lots of misdirection and frustration, I finally cancelled. If you are looking for a variety of foods that don't require eating lots of products from domesticated animals, don't choose BistroMD. If you are looking for a program with honest and informed customer service, don't choose BistroMD.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about bistroMD?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

My meals came defrosted. There is no customer service on the weekend only chat. They would not do anything for me. FedEx would not pick them up. FedEx left them in the lobby of my condo building. The dry ice was melted and odor from the box was overwhelming.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

BistroMD has provided me with great meals regularly for a good price and I have enjoyed every meal that I have gotten from them so far. Their meals always taste great and have great nutritional benefits for me. They are the best of these services that I have tried so far. But, they could add some more great tasting and nutritious meals to their already great lineup which would bring in new customers for them. Other than that, I will continue to enjoy their services for a long time into the future.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I like the quality and taste of the food that is delivered to me. I can pre plan my meals according to my schedule and what activities I have planned. It is flavored well, and seasoned well. They accommodate my vegetarian diet, and have many choices of meals to choose from to meet my needs. Organic products are extremely important to me for environmental and health reasons. And they accommodate that for me. It's easy to make meal plans, affordable, and reliable. So if I am going hiking, my meal plan is not something to heat up, but is easily ready to go on a picnic.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

This is an affordable service with great dinner options. Easy to use and very convenient. This was my first time using a service like this. I would highly recommend to anyone in the near future. The prices are a bit high, but so is the quality of the food. The food also takes a while to ship out. It's not same day delivery, which can lower the quality of the food. The food was great and appetizing. I chose this because I got tired of cooking. I came home late every day and needed an easier option. I didn't want fast food, so I looked into other options. Home delivered meals was my final option and I decided to give it a try. It definitely surprised me how well the food tasted.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I like the food provided. I think the boxing was amazing and made the experience even more fun which is saying a lot because it's essentially just a glamorized grocery shopping, but you get a lot for your money because it forces you to try new food. I think that they don't give enough of each option. I don't really have that many complaints other than that and I wish you could customize how much you get of each item more. I picked it for the price and convenience. I also wanted to try it out of curiosity and for fun because I didnt know what else to do with my life. I think it really does give you what it promises.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

They offer a really good and fresh food and is easy to go to purchase to their place or call for a delivery services, highly recommend when you need to cook something and don't have time. You can have the food in a good time and really great taste for your family. I wish they have a more wide menu with more options to choose a better interface to do business with them online and they need some promotions for their loyalty customer.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Customer service was very well provided and I enjoy the follow-up message provided before and after the delivery and this made it extremely easy during the ordering process. Text updates should be included to help when awaiting a delivery for on the go customer. This is also great when following up on delivery orders and past orders for consumer review. Online customer reviews provided exceptional feedback with five stars to help in the selection process. This is also helpful when reviewing orders and helping to communicate with an online community.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I like the fact that they have a fast delivery service, along with the food tasting amazing. I think that might be the one most important factor in the whole experience. Ordering a meal pack and waiting too long is just one of the worse aspect of other companies. Sometimes the food can come destroyed or out of place, in pieces or all together come back looking very unappealing. I wish it would look good every time I buy it but that just doesnt happen. But otherwise everything else is pretty good. I would tell them that this service is pretty good. The fact is that they pretty much deliver anywhere. I love to cook the food and taste all the flavor that they serve.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I like the fact that they deliver very fast and in a very timely manner. It's really good and I really like it. The features are great and cool and very innovate. I really like them. There is not any improvements I can recommend except maybe updating their website. It's a bit difficult to navigate and make it easier for people like me. This is a really good meal service. I have ordered from them multiple times with no problems and the food is really good.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I think that bistroMD is a great food subscription service because it is affordable and they send great recipes in your subscription. The feature that I like most from Bistro is that you get notifications to when you will receive your next delivery. I currently do not have any features that I personally dislike about Bistro. I think that the service is great and the food is really good. I think that it would be cool if they send a bit more food in the subscription box. One of the main reasons I picked this meal delivery service over the other meal delivery services is because most of my friends and family use this service. This service was very easy to use and it was easy to personalize your subscription.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I really love the fact that, despite being a meal plan with a fairly high extent of focus on weight loss, the food tastes great and is comparable to home cooked meals. I would rate the food quality slightly above that of diet-to-go, one of bistroMD's primary competitors. I would argue that the meal plans, the most exclusive of which reach nearly $200 per week, are quite expensive even for a full delivery service. It should be noted that while the meals taste quite good for a meal plan, they are not quite as good as comparably priced restaurant food in terms of taste alone. I selected this meal delivery service due to positive reviews from my friends that also had success losing weight. The customer service was fantastic and met my expectations handily.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

It was delicious and came on time with simple instructions. Packaging was perfect as well. Everything was fresh and clean and yummy. Deliver and ordering was super easy. Simple directions. Even a child could follow them and prepare it with no issues at all. I would order again and again. Would not really care to try anything else.

There's really only so much that can be said about the box and its service. Would not change a thing about the box, food service, packaging or delivery. It was even a great price for the amount of food that came in the box and shipping was awesome as well came fast. It's totally awesome and everyone should try it at least once to try the awesomeness they deliver. I wanted to try something different for dinner so came across this and decided to try it.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I have been using BistroMD for almost 4 months and I couldn't be happier. I have 20 meals delivered per week and they are all healthy and well portioned. I even have trouble finishing the breakfasts! The menu is vast, which you can easily peruse on their website, and it is also very easy to remove any meals that you wouldn't like from your repertoire. The meals all taste like they were prepared by a good chef without being too "foofy". There are basics like Meatloaf and Turkey with Gravy, diverse tastes like Jambalaya and Chicken Tikka Masala, and even classier meals like Beef Bourguignon and Barramundi Seabass with Sweet Coconut Pineapple Sauce. If you are considering trying a meal plan, try this one. You won't be disappointed. :O)

bistroMD expert review by ConsumerAffairs

bistroMD provides frozen low-calorie meals designed by a certified weight-management physician. The company was founded in 2005 by a physician in Naples, Fla., and delivers to all of the continental United States, Hawaii and parts of Alaska.

• Developed by a physician: bistroMD's weight-loss programs were developed by a weight-management physician, so the foods are scientifically planned and balanced to be ideal for weight loss.

• Specialized plans: The company offers a variety of plans targeted for men, women, menopausal women, seniors, diabetics and more.

• Customizable: Customers can pick their own meals based on a program created by a registered dietitian.

• Expert support: bistroMD's plans come with expert support to help individuals with any problems in achieving their weight loss.

• Chef-created foods: The menu is planned by a chef to ensure that each frozen meal is unique and delicious.

• Best for: People trying to lose weight, seniors, menopausal women and those with restrictive diets.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs