Looking for a meal delivery service?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.11/5

36 bistroMD Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 23, 2019

BistroMD is outstanding. The meals taste great, portions are generous, the variety is sophisticated and phenomenal, preparation a snap -- could not ask for better. I'm on the diabetic program, and I'm amazed how their dietitians have put together satisfying meals with carbs so reasonable and protein so high. This is light years beyond Lean Cuisine in so many ways. Keeping a regular, healthy meal schedule to control blood sugar levels is challenging, and can be exhausting -- "diabetes fatigue" is a real thing. BistroMD really lightens the burden, and is a very good value for all you're getting.

Also outstanding support and advice available that really does make a difference, without demanding effort over-and-above using the meal plan. (Sure, there are a couple meals that fall into the "meh" category for me, but no big deal. I've cut back on # meals delivered to allow for some personal flexibility, i.e., breakfast of Greek yogurt/oatmeal in place of fairly heavy use of eggs in plan meals. But these are quibbles. Just including them so that you know my praise is with a critical eye.) My highest recommendation.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I have recently begun with BistroMD and I have found not close to or ALMOST what I was on the search for, for pretty much years. I FOUND EXACTLY what I had been looking for. I DON'T care to cook. I DON'T care to plan and balance and coordinate calories and proportions and on and on. I know me, I WON'T stick to it. This has been EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED and I LOVE it. The packaging is hands down the BEST I've ever experienced. Your food will NOT arrive half thawed or warm. It is FROZEN SOLID! It is always arriving when they say. It is easy to substitute a meal you don't care from one of the over 100 other entrees. I recently realized I am even allowed to use breakfast as a lunch or dinner. AWESOME!!!

I'm a breakfast lover any time of day. Okay, someone said these are bland. They are NOT correct. I am LOVING the flavors. The last thing you could call this food is bland. I put mine on a plate and turn off TV and leave phone alone and I would swear a waiter just brought me out good restaurant food. For me being the only diner in my home-I am SAVING MONEY. I usually spend way too much at grocery store AND TOSS 1/2 of it as it spoils before I get to it. When you call to ask any questions they are the friendliness support staff you will ever encounter. My assistant and I laughed and giggled the entire call. Nope--I'm not a paid reviewer. That is unethical to me. I am very honest when I recommend products to friends and strangers. I cannot stand bad products and am upset when someone points me down a bad path. Don't know what else to say. This is hands down a FANTASTIC SERVICE!!!

I don't even understand why people bother with getting a box full of ingredients for same price and have to spend an hour preparing 3 items or more just to eat. NO THANKS. This is way to go! Oh! You WILL BE FULL AFTER YOUR MEAL!!! Guarantee. Drink your water as well but I promise you that you will be full and not get hungry between meals and there are snacks if you do. Last night I had turkey and I promise it tasted like I pulled out some fresh Thanksgiving turkey. Okay, hope this helps. I will return in a few weeks to review the weight loss aspect. I AM choosing to exercise in addition, as I was before I began plan so I will continue. I'm talking average exercise, not gym rat craziness. My cousin is considering this and I did agree with her that the web page can seem overwhelming but if you just slowly go through it, it becomes SUPER practical and easy and you can email, text or call them to boot.

If you're serious about beginning this plan or any other, you SHOULD be willing to take time to kind of study the website. GOOD LUCK to everyone. I am 100% positive that in 2 months I will be at goal weight and probably be very sad when I sign off of BistroMD. Who knows- it's SO easy and healthy I may just stay on it anyway--goal weight aside!!! LOVE BISTROMD!!! LOVE.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

BistroMD is the most amazing meal program that My wife and I have ever experienced. The menus are refreshed to keep our interest. Moreover, we can read all of the ingredients, which are “real foods” and nothing processed. We am totally perplexed as to why a few rate the meals/program below their expectations. The key to prep the entrees is the place items in your refrideration up to two days prior to consuming then follow the cooking instructions. Both my wife and I have tried several other plans and love BistroMd so much more than other plans. With our super busy schedules, this plan totally satisfies our hunger and satisfaction. We own a high volume grocery store and prefer these entrees for ease and freshness. This isn’t to say our store has inferior products, we simply love the simplicity and freshness of BistroMD... Keep up the great work. Real Fresh Food at our doorstep; we thank you for that.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I am writing this review because some of the negative reviews I read on here almost scared me enough not to give this company a try. Thank goodness I tried them anyway! I have tried many other weight loss company’s foods and by far this is the best! I taste amazing! It’s flash frozen and easy to prepare. Taste very fresh. I think the important thing to realize is important to take your food out of freezer the day or so before and place in refrigerator. I like to heat some of the meals in the oven. The containers say they are oven safe up to 400 degrees. I like to brown some of the breakfast items on the stove as well. I do believe good preparation is key to this product. Freezer to microwave can make any food taste bad and not cook evenly. The ingredients and quality is outstanding too. You can read and pronounce every item. I’m also very impressed with the quantity of food in each meal. I can’t eat it all.

This is a plan I can stay on for a long time as every week there are new food offerings. Its not the same food every week. I love that! My husband has always been down on the frozen and prepackaged meals that most weight loss companies sell. He agreed to give it a try. He absolutely loves it too. We are both so happy to have tried this program. Customer service has been great as well. Packaging is great. Food is delivered in dry ice in a heavy duty box with lots of insulation. No worries there. So, if you read some of the negative reviews and are unsure... try it yourself and you make the decision. I can only say I am so glad I did!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

The meals from bistroMD are delicious. Some I have tried aren’t to my taste, but the ones I like, I love. The foods are frozen, but if you read the directions, it says to let them thaw 12 hours before microwaving. That improves the taste a great deal. The seasoning is robust and unique enough to stave off boredom. However, I could eat the Beef and vegetable soup with red wine for every meal. Why not just get frozen meals from the grocery store? Because the portions are weighed toward the protein side. There is a lot of protein in each entree, a small amount of carbohydrate, and a generous portion of vegetables. I hate cooked vegetables but they do something to the broccoli that make it very tasty. You get two snacks in addition to the meals each day.

So the other real plus is you get one on one consultations with a dietitian and trainer. If you are at a plateau or as in my case, I could not eat a whole meal to start with, the dietitian will give you advice based onto type of diet you have, your meal choices, and snacks. Exercise is added on week four and a trainer will help you choose things appropriate to your level of activity and strength. The important thing here is if it just about the food, you are not utilizing all the resources to make your weight loss successful. Having professionals to consult makes a big difference if you have been frustrated on other diets.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about bistroMD?

Original review: July 20, 2019

I don’t even like having to give this service a full star! My boxes arrived today with hot spoiled foods. I promptly called their customer service and after a very long drawn out discussion and being placed on hold a lot for lengthy time periods I was told they must research things then get back to me in a week or two. Seriously? So they may or may not refund or replace my things but in the meantime I’m out hundreds of dollars on orders I must throw away! This company is disgusting to treat customers this way. I understand they may very well be used to getting false complaints but they clearly didn’t wish to even discuss this with me today.

I actually had to bribe someone to cart off this smelly mess to a dumpster because I wasn’t about to let it stink up my house through the entire weekend and I wasn’t willing to place smelly spoiled hot meals in my clean freezer in the meantime. I started this out today willing to accept a replacement but after this I only want a refund because I lack any trust that they value customers! I would rather get a full refund and take my business elsewhere to a place that is better to customers and actually values them!

Original review: June 22, 2019

Fresh food plan created by registered dietitians and prepared by chefs is what they promise. Old, tasteless carb laced meals is what they deliver. What women approaching menopause could eat bagels, crepes, rice and pasta at every meal and maintain their weight much less lose? The reviewer who said meals are predominantly protein and plenty of veggies with limited carbs is not being truthful. The protein that is there is dried out and overcooked. These meals are not fresh, some have been frozen for a long time.

One major point of contention is that the cancellation date for the following week occurs before you even get your first delivery. That is a practice of a company that must get a lot of cancellations and wants to guarantee themselves at least two weeks of business. Finally, what they advertise you will be receiving for the week is not what you actually receive. Steer clear. $10 a meal for 10 oz of uneatable food is like throwing money away. Go to the hot bar at Whole Foods and get a couple of rotisserie chickens and a couple of pounds of fresh veggies and you will definitely come out ahead.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Recently began using the food service called BistroMD. The isn’t the best but not bad. They say you can put it on hold whenever you need to but watch out! When I tried to to put my service on hold got an astral week I didn’t want. They said I missed the the deadline. Then they realized I didn’t miss the the deadline but wait they go by eastern time. I live in the central time zone. I’m currently fighting them now. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: June 3, 2019

My daughter bought this for me after I was in the hospital. She cancelled it and they still sent out two more weeks of meals and billed me 139.90 TWICE after the cancellation. I called customer service but they did not resolve the problem.

Original review: May 6, 2019

The food ranges from absolutely terrible to tolerable but not tasty. Three days after receiving my first delivery I cancelled my service and sent the company a note with my feedback. Their response was to add garlic powder and try other dishes. No thank you, I’m done and will probably trash the remaining food. Besides the bad taste it is highly processed and the ingredients appear to be poor quality.

bistroMD expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Frozen, doctor-designed meals delivered with the distinct dietary needs of men and women in mind. Customizable menus run five or seven days, starting at $89.96, with gluten-free and diabetic options.

• Menu choices: Choose from over 150 chef-prepared bistroMD breakfast, lunch and dinner entrees that are ready to eat in five minutes or less.

• Skip a delivery week: The delivery scheduling tool lets users pause their program for business or vacation travel, holidays or other events.

• Members-only support group: Free access to the bistroMD community is included with every program. Ask questions, share stories, and give and receive motivation.

• Connect with experts: Set up free consultations with your own personal registered dietitian, access the online health library and receive weekly program materials and access to webinars.

• Optional snack program: The EATS (Essential and Tasty Snacks) program can be added to any plan, starting at $3 a day.

• Best for women: Women’s programs average 1,200 calories per day with snacks and include options such as gluten-free, heart-healthy, diabetic and a menopause plan.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs