Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.00/5

bistroMD Reviews

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Last summer I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Meal planning, shopping and preparation was daunting to me. As and a widow and 67 years old, I just no longer wanted to deal with all that, so just didn't know what I was going to do. I tried Nutrisystem (so awful there are no words for it). Then I found BistroMD, and what a relief! The meals arrive promptly after ordering via FedEx with dry ice and I enjoy 2 meals daily simply by using my microwave. I cannot say enough about how much I enjoy this diabetic program (Silver Cuisine), not only for the ease and convenience, but for the absolutely delicious food and the selections I have to choose from. This company is so responsive and friendly when you reach out to them for any problem.

The cost may seem prohibitive for some, I being no exception - but by the time I calculated what the food I was buying at the grocery cost, and how much of it I ended up throwing away, the delicious selections available and the fact that my A1C has gone down significantly far outweigh the cost. I do have to cut corners in other areas of my life, but am happy to do so for the health benefits - not only the results I see in my blood tests, but I just generally feel so much better overall.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

I found BistroMD because I wanted a complete meal program that was designed to help me lose weight and make it so that I never had to decide what to eat for myself or balance my own nutritional intake. It seemed like everything I was looking for. I was wary because I've tried other meal delivery services where I didn't actually like the food at all, but I read enough positive reviews of BistroMD to give it a try.

It has surpassed my expectations completely. I've had over 2 weeks worth of food now - that includes 3 meals and 2 snacks per day - and almost all of it is delicious. And this is coming from someone who dislikes vegetables and pretty much never eats them if another choice is available - these veggies are good. Not only that, but I haven't been feeling hungry. The first couple days were the hardest, but after that, I've been able to eat nothing but this food and feel fairly satisfied. Other diet plans - or grocery store frozen meals - I eat it and then feel hungry again an hour later. With this, even the snacks are good for at least 2-3 hours before I feel the need to eat again.

I can't say enough about how pleased I am. I have always had a hard time calling "healthy" meals good, but these really are. I look forward to eating them every day - and this is another great point. I have now seen 5 total menus and haven't had a single main meal repeated. Not a single one. For someone who needs variety and can't stand the thought of eating the same thing multiple days in a row, this is so great. If you're like me and need someone to tell you exactly what to eat in order to stick to a diet, I highly recommend trying this. I can now lose weight putting in no effort whatsoever - no planning, no shopping, no cooking, no food diaries - just unpack the box and heat the meals in the microwave - and I'm genuinely enjoying the food while doing it.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I recently signed up for the meal plan through BistroMD and Love it! It is convenient, great tasting food and snacks. If you follow the directions about putting your food in the refrigerator 12 to 24 hours for each day's meal, the food when heated is delicious! It's super convenient especially for lunch and dinner when you work 10 hour work days. The 1st week I lost 5 pounds! Looking forward to continue this plan to hit my ideal weight goal. The promotion for the 1st week is great. After that it is a bit pricey but worth it for the taste, packaging, delivery and healthy options. It is definitely worth giving it a try.

Original review: July 23, 2019

BistroMD is outstanding. The meals taste great, portions are generous, the variety is sophisticated and phenomenal, preparation a snap -- could not ask for better. I'm on the diabetic program, and I'm amazed how their dietitians have put together satisfying meals with carbs so reasonable and protein so high. This is light years beyond Lean Cuisine in so many ways. Keeping a regular, healthy meal schedule to control blood sugar levels is challenging, and can be exhausting -- "diabetes fatigue" is a real thing. BistroMD really lightens the burden, and is a very good value for all you're getting.

Also outstanding support and advice available that really does make a difference, without demanding effort over-and-above using the meal plan. (Sure, there are a couple meals that fall into the "meh" category for me, but no big deal. I've cut back on # meals delivered to allow for some personal flexibility, i.e., breakfast of Greek yogurt/oatmeal in place of fairly heavy use of eggs in plan meals. But these are quibbles. Just including them so that you know my praise is with a critical eye.) My highest recommendation.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I have recently begun with BistroMD and I have found not close to or ALMOST what I was on the search for, for pretty much years. I FOUND EXACTLY what I had been looking for. I DON'T care to cook. I DON'T care to plan and balance and coordinate calories and proportions and on and on. I know me, I WON'T stick to it. This has been EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED and I LOVE it. The packaging is hands down the BEST I've ever experienced. Your food will NOT arrive half thawed or warm. It is FROZEN SOLID! It is always arriving when they say. It is easy to substitute a meal you don't care from one of the over 100 other entrees. I recently realized I am even allowed to use breakfast as a lunch or dinner. AWESOME!!!

I'm a breakfast lover any time of day. Okay, someone said these are bland. They are NOT correct. I am LOVING the flavors. The last thing you could call this food is bland. I put mine on a plate and turn off TV and leave phone alone and I would swear a waiter just brought me out good restaurant food. For me being the only diner in my home-I am SAVING MONEY. I usually spend way too much at grocery store AND TOSS 1/2 of it as it spoils before I get to it. When you call to ask any questions they are the friendliness support staff you will ever encounter. My assistant and I laughed and giggled the entire call. Nope--I'm not a paid reviewer. That is unethical to me. I am very honest when I recommend products to friends and strangers. I cannot stand bad products and am upset when someone points me down a bad path. Don't know what else to say. This is hands down a FANTASTIC SERVICE!!!

I don't even understand why people bother with getting a box full of ingredients for same price and have to spend an hour preparing 3 items or more just to eat. NO THANKS. This is way to go! Oh! You WILL BE FULL AFTER YOUR MEAL!!! Guarantee. Drink your water as well but I promise you that you will be full and not get hungry between meals and there are snacks if you do. Last night I had turkey and I promise it tasted like I pulled out some fresh Thanksgiving turkey. Okay, hope this helps. I will return in a few weeks to review the weight loss aspect. I AM choosing to exercise in addition, as I was before I began plan so I will continue. I'm talking average exercise, not gym rat craziness. My cousin is considering this and I did agree with her that the web page can seem overwhelming but if you just slowly go through it, it becomes SUPER practical and easy and you can email, text or call them to boot.

If you're serious about beginning this plan or any other, you SHOULD be willing to take time to kind of study the website. GOOD LUCK to everyone. I am 100% positive that in 2 months I will be at goal weight and probably be very sad when I sign off of BistroMD. Who knows- it's SO easy and healthy I may just stay on it anyway--goal weight aside!!! LOVE BISTROMD!!! LOVE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about bistroMD?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I tried the food for three weeks and was not satisfied with the portions, which do not look like the photos. I had to add extra steamed vegetables to each meal to feel satisfied. I have not eaten so much trans fat, cholesterol, or sodium in the past two years. After using the WW diet and learning about good food, I did not find this very good. I don't like to cook and thought this would be more convenient, which it is. I did not approve of the snacks provided for an additional $28 a week. The cost is way more than it's worth. At $209. a week for 20 meals and still feeling hungry, I did not find it economical.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I ordered a week with a discount code. Their shipping was slow, the food is not outstanding, it's just like a dinner bought in a grocery store. I found some of them uneatable. Way too expensive for what they offer. I canceled my membership and second order.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I’ve tried Bistromd a few times for around a month at a time. Two separate times they sent me completely different meals than what I ordered. The first time I was doing five days of three meals with two snacks a day and 16 of my 25 items were wrong. At this time they apologized and said they’d credit my account for the amount that was wrong. They never do. This time when I started it up again with the same plan I got ONE meal and THREE snacks correctly and everything else was wrong, including a ton of seafood, which made me feel like they were just using me to get rid of unpopular meals that have been sitting around.

I contacted customer service asking to be refunded and they said I did not make changes in time for the deadline (which is NOT true as the dates the meals were said to be planned for was this week in question), but I have no proof and they are refusing to refund me. It's very frustrating because this plan has helped me lose weight and I would continue it if I didn’t feel like I was throwing around $170 a week on meals I won’t eat. This company made me feel like they don’t care about me, just the bottom line, by sending me unpopular meals they need to get rid of just to make a ton of money off of me. It’s not worth it. Don’t use this company!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I put an order in for my elderly mother, who requires special meals for her heart. When two weeks passed without a delivery, I called Bistro MD & was told,

"Oh sorry ... we cancelled your account because we didn't have a full name for the customer". I did not receive a phone call, an email NO CONTACT WAS MADE WITH ME, WHATSOEVER to tell me any of this. We were simply dismissed by this company, because they didn't feel like following through. I cannot stress enough, how angry I am over this horrible handling of a customer account. They have lost our business and we will be sure to let others know about how inept and uncaring they are.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

The food is horrible and their shipping policy doesn't work at all. I ordered my first delivery and it wasn't delivered until Monday of the following week. I tried the food and didn't like it at all. On the same day, Monday, I went to my on-line account and cancelled my account. On Tuesday I received an email saying my net shipment was in pre-shipment status. The tracking number had been created by FedEx but it had not been shipped. I called them and the operator told me that because it was done on-line I couldn't cancel but that if I had called in person I could have cancelled it. How in the world was I supposed to know that? Now I am going to be stuck with 20 meals that are inedible. I definitely would not recommend this company.

bistroMD expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Frozen, doctor-designed meals delivered with the distinct dietary needs of men and women in mind. Customizable menus run five or seven days, starting at $89.96, with gluten-free and diabetic options.

• Menu choices: Choose from over 150 chef-prepared bistroMD breakfast, lunch and dinner entrees that are ready to eat in five minutes or less.

• Skip a delivery week: The delivery scheduling tool lets users pause their program for business or vacation travel, holidays or other events.

• Members-only support group: Free access to the bistroMD community is included with every program. Ask questions, share stories, and give and receive motivation.

• Connect with experts: Set up free consultations with your own personal registered dietitian, access the online health library and receive weekly program materials and access to webinars.

• Optional snack program: The EATS (Essential and Tasty Snacks) program can be added to any plan, starting at $3 a day.

• Best for women: Women’s programs average 1,200 calories per day with snacks and include options such as gluten-free, heart-healthy, diabetic and a menopause plan.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team