2.4/5 (80 ratings)

About bistroMD

Plans from bistroMD provide meals for either seven or five days per week. You can choose all three meals per day or only lunches and dinners for those days. Meals contain a healthy combination of complex carbs, fiber, protein and fats to help you lose weight. Dieters also get guidance and support to help reach their weight loss goals.

Pros

• Cancel any time
  • Wide selection
  • Flexible plans

Cons

• Long hold times for customer service
  • Not everyone likes the taste

Bottom Line

Meal plans from bistroMD are developed by dieticians. Select from programs designed for men and women, plus plans for heart health, menopause, diabetic-friendly plans and gluten-free diets.

Top bistroMD Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

…. Meal planning, shopping and preparation was daunting to me. As a widow and 67 years old, I just no longer wanted to deal with all that, so just didn't know what I was going to ...

Verified

… I can't say enough about how pleased I am. I have always had a hard time calling "healthy" meals good, but these really are. I look forward to eating them every day - and this i...

What is bistroMD?

bistroMD is a weight-loss program that sends you frozen, prepackaged meals. When you enroll in the program, bistroMD sends frozen meals to your door each week.

It also offers the support of a dietician, who you can meet with one-on-one or in a group, and weekly updates to help you stay motivated on your weight loss journey. Employees are also available to answer questions on how to live a healthier lifestyle outside of the kitchen.

How much does bistroMD cost?

As of publishing, bistroMD prices start at $97 per week for five lunches and five dinners. Full programs for women cost $142 per week and include seven breakfasts, seven lunches and six dinners per week.

The company offers a 25%-off coupon and free shipping on your first week of meals. Its prices are competitive when compared to buying the range of ingredients needed for fresh, healthy meals each day.

bistroMD plans

bistroMD offers a variety of available plans based on different dietary preferences and needs. Select from the following available programs:

• Women’s Program
  • Men’s Program
  • Heart Healthy Program
  • Gluten-free Program
  • Diabetic-friendly Program
  • Menopause Program

bistroMD’s prepacked meal plans are flexible and don't require a long-term commitment. Once you’ve picked your weight loss program and selected entrees, bistroMD builds a personalized diet plan for you to help you burn fat and live an overall healthier lifestyle.

You can skip any week that you don’t want the meals or put your account on hold. bistroMD has a team of customer service representatives available online and over the phone who can help you cancel.

bistroMD FAQ

Are bistroMD meals frozen?
Yes, bistroMD meals are made from fresh ingredients and then frozen. They can be heated up and are ready to serve in minutes.
Can you cancel bistroMD?
Yes, you can cancel bistroMD or pause your membership. You must cancel before the weekly deadline, however, or you will be charged for that week’s plan.
Where is bistroMD located?
bistroMD is headquartered in Naples, Florida.
Where is bistroMD available?
bistroMD is available for delivery in all 50 states. However, there are some restrictions for those who live in Alaska, where deliveries are only available in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Eagle River.
Is bistroMD good?
Yes, bistroMD offers high-quality food without nitrates and other additives.

Is bistroMD worth it?

bistroMD is good for those who want to lose weight but don’t have time to prepare healthy, nutritious meals. Many customer reviews indicate that you can save time with bistroMD’s prepackaged meals without having to sacrifice the quality of their food. We also like that the food is made without nitrates and other additives.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about bistroMD?

Original review: June 9, 2022

With the exception of the meals including a chicken breast all the other meals are bland and have a strange pet food like texture. Very disappointing. Customer service was rude and not at all helpful. I have used many meal delivery services and was looking forward to a healthy option. It doesn't even matter if it's healthier because you won't want to eat it.

Original review: April 21, 2022

You can't see the meals until you purchase their plan. After a plan was purchased that's when I realized there were limited choices for someone who can't eat eggs or cheese, and doesn't eat fish. They were extremely rude on the phone and just couldn't believe someone didn't eat those items. I tried to offer a solution but was rebuffed even more rudely. Tried to cancel, and all this happened in less than 30 minutes after signing up, and was told too bad, you'll be charged because it's past the deadline for canceling. Didn't get to pick meals or remove things I can't eat, and canceled in less than 30 minutes from signing up and I didn't meet a deadline? What deadline? They don't even give a deadline. Maybe you have to cancel within 30 seconds of signing up...

I have no idea because it's not listed anywhere on their website. Even though they think they will be charging me because I failed to cancel immediately after I signed up, my credit card company will definitely have something different to say about their antics. Avoid signing up for BistroMD, especially if you have any food issues or dislikes. Who wants to deal with rude people anyway?

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2022

This meal plan is top notch. I am currently on the 7 day plan with snack. I am amazed by the taste and array of food available from bistroMD. My weight loss has been very steady (16 pounds), and I am completely satisfied throughout the day. I find that my cravings for sweets and wine have completely waned in a very short period of time (6 weeks). The sustainable packaging is amazing, and I find that my food arrives fully frozen every time. It is not inexpensive, but no more costly than meals out, weekly groceries and the average person's trips to Starbucks in a week. If you are in the right mindset for a change, this plan is so easy to follow.

Original review: March 27, 2022

The Heart Healthy program is low fat and "low sodium" only. They DO add salt to the meals. Every meal has fish, chicken, turkey, bison, or pork, with the exception of 2 tofu recipes, in this plan. There is a lot of meat in each meal. A Mediterranean diet, often recommended by cardiologists for heart patients, recommends fish and poultry weekly, which I would consider not more than about 3-5 meals, as it is not in the Daily category. It considers red meats (including pork) only monthly.

With the Heart Healthy program from Bistro MD, you will have meat in every single lunch and dinner meal, except that occasional tofu. This amounts to 14 meals a WEEK of meat, far more than recommended by most cardiologists. There are NO vegetarian meals available. A lot of the meals have eggplant. Most of the breakfasts have eggs, which are also in the weekly category for Mediterranean diets, not daily. Basically the BistroMD diet is a modified Keto diet, as I was told by them. Also, the meals are quite large, and I found myself forcing down the meals. Their recommendation was to split it up into 2, and eat the rest 2 hours later. They have 3 meals and 2 snacks, each about 2 hours apart. That would mean eating 6 times a day, which is a LOT!

There is a Facebook "support" group, but they will remove any post that garners too much negative talking, so do not expect to be able to get support from others in the group for an issue you are having. They want you to contact them instead, which I did. In 3 calls, none of them had any real knowledge of what eating heart healthy really was, and considered their low sodium and low fat diet a heart healthy one. In my opinion, that's a normal healthy diet, and not tailored to what anyone needing a heart healthy program should have. You can tailor your program to only have lunch and dinner, no snacks, etc. But you will still have meat in every one.

In the 4 weeks that I was able to choose from, the recipe choices did not change, there were no additional new recipes. They do source good products. The meals tasted pretty good, but I had given 5 stars to only one breakfast and one dinner/lunch. I stopped the program after not even finishing one week, and still have a week coming, as I had to order pretty far out. They cancelled my third week (that was already on order) and refunded it. I did lose 2 lbs in the first week, not uncommon for me when doing any kind of mindful eating. I had diarrhea twice in the first week, each time after one of the tilapia meals. I did eat a different tilapia meal, in between those, with no issue. That has never happened to me before without having the flu. I did the full menu for the first week. The second week I dropped to lunches and dinners only. One meal wasn't sent and another meal was duplicated.

Original review: March 4, 2022

I had such high hopes for this weight loss plan, but ultimately was left disappointed. You can not choose the week you want to start the meal delivery nor the day you want it delivered. I was charged for my second week before my first week's order even arrived. When I wrote customer service asking for an explanation I never received a response. This all might have been forgiven if the food was at least good. While I don't take issue with the serving size of the meals (it's a weight loss program after all) I couldn't overlook the taste. Most of the meals were just plain terrible. Eggs were rubbery, mac and cheese had a weird texture, grits an insult to all southerners, veggies undercooked and bland. The best of the meals were "meh" at best. I just could not force myself to eat this mess for the next 4 to 6 months. No one is going to stick to a food plan that is unappetizing.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

Over priced TV dinners. The first one I tried almost made me throw up. I was driving while eating it too so not the ideal situation. It was a bagel with egg. The bagel tasted like cardboard. So dry I gagged and really struggled to force it down. The only reason being is because it was so expensive. It comes out to about $11 a meal. The meals are tiny and not diabetic friendly like I expected. Full of carbs. 'Cause carbs are cheap. I tried the pork tenderloin just a bit ago, again it was terrible. The sauce with the meat was runny, watery, and mixed with the mashed potatoes (which you can tell are the boxed spuds). The other side was unseasoned raw green beans. Tiny portion of meat. I couldn't believe that slop cost me $11. You can kind find better quality meals at the grocery store frozen aisle for half the price. I'm so disappointed.

I was hoping this plan was going to help me get a hold of my diabetes and help me lose weight. They claim that a dietitian is meal planning for you, customizing your meals to help "heal" your metabolism, help manage medical conditions and help you lose weight. Not the case at all. They just throw some random, tiny frozen TV dinners in a box and charge you three times what they worth. It's a disgusting scam.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Not trying to lose weight. Simply trying to avoid cooking all the time. The best thing about bistoMD is the website. The entrees simply don't taste right. Nice label makes one want to dive right in. But with a paucity of exceptions, the entrees cheat the palette and end up being consumed by wild things in the rear of the property. After trying to avert the Sat Fat, sugar and extreme spice in the ordering process, are made for Selling. Certainly not Eating. Caveat emptor.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I CANNOT BELIEVE the horrific food this company sends out. They advertise all these beautifully plated FRESH meals on their website, but what you get is a tiny, horrifically bad frozen dinner that does not even compete with the cheapest of frozen meals at the grocery store. What's worse, is that it's NOT HEALTHY. Cutting the portion is not a "chef-created diet"!! RICE NOT Diebetically friendly - white rice is not low-carb! Lastly, they charge $180 a week for this slop. There are so many other much better plans with real fresh food for less. This company needs to be charged with fraud.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

After fighting with the billing department for over a week I am canceling my subscription. This company's website advertises a weekly rate of $104 for the program from the previous price of $139 plus tax and shipping. I have screenshots of the cost of the program I signed up for. The four weeks I have been a part of the program I have been charged $139+ per week. I have emailed the billing department numerous times and they have argued that the prices was never $104 even though that is what is on their website even at this very moment.

They refused to refund me the additional $35 a week I was charged and instead argued with me over the phone when I finally called in because I was getting nowhere with the staff via email. Not to mention the food was watery, tasteless and not very good for the price they are charging customers. I have since cancelled my subscription and will be leaving negative reviews warning everyone of the scam that is BistroMD. You will also be interested to know that BistroMD is NOT accredited by the Better Business Bureau and currently has an F rating with a slew of complaints from customers like me.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I researched probably about 40 prepared food delivery companies and came down to BistroMD. I have been on this program pretty much for over 6 months and lost a lot of weight and their food is superb....Biggest issues have had is communication with customer service and their answer is always "NO". Weeks after weeks they would send me identical meals when in fact they have hundreds to choose from. Why I ask. "That shouldn't happen,: she says. Well it does and continues to happen so their "nutritional specialists, etc." are not doing their job or their whole computer system is ** up.... SO I had to every week pick my damn items which takes a lot of time so I didn't get the same damn Seabass 4 times when they have 10 other fish options that week. And I continued to do that for month and was fine. Lots of glitches along the way but they always refunded the money which is not the answer to me.

I want my meals or it throws off my diet. They would come in warm at times as shipping got messed up. Dishes food comes in were cracked, substituting meals with other meals as they were out of stock. I have so many documented emails and recordings from them to prove my point, but not really worth it. Then I receive a notice the next shipment is going up in price and I said, "No way." They seemed not to give 2 ** if they lost a customer. After all this ** you want me to pay you more. SO this manager Kimberly told me NO and then I said I would go above and beyond her to the owners and I did but they are too much of a coward to respond to their customers. And the message came down the line to lower management and Kimberly got defensive and said tuff ** in other words....then a week later her email blocked me out of the portal and said no more communication with this company....

I would like nothing more than management to be fired and the owners listed to the customers....No reason why you locked me out and took away 200 a week in business. At this point I hope you guys go out of business and lose everything as remember "the customer is always right" And whether you like constructive criticism or not it works. This is so sad as their food is very good and it worked for me. RIP you cowards.

bistroMD Company Information