2. Shopping
  3. Meal Delivery Service

2.6/5 (67 ratings)

About bistroMD

Plans from bistroMD provide meals for either seven or five days per week. You can choose all three meals per day or only lunches and dinners for those days. Meals contain a healthy combination of complex carbs, fiber, protein and fats to help you lose weight. Dieters also get guidance and support to help reach their weight loss goals.

Pros

• Cancel any time
  • Wide selection
  • Flexible plans

Cons

• Long hold times for customer service
  • Not everyone likes the taste

Bottom Line

Meal plans from bistroMD are developed by dieticians. Select from programs designed for men and women, plus plans for heart health, menopause, diabetic-friendly plans and gluten-free diets.

Top bistroMD Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

…. Meal planning, shopping and preparation was daunting to me. As a widow and 67 years old, I just no longer wanted to deal with all that, so just didn't know what I was going to ...

Verified

… I can't say enough about how pleased I am. I have always had a hard time calling "healthy" meals good, but these really are. I look forward to eating them every day - and this i...

What is bistroMD?

bistroMD is a weight-loss program that sends you frozen, prepackaged meals. When you enroll in the program, bistroMD sends frozen meals to your door each week.

It also offers the support of a dietician, who you can meet with one-on-one or in a group, and weekly updates to help you stay motivated on your weight loss journey. Employees are also available to answer questions on how to live a healthier lifestyle outside of the kitchen.

How much does bistroMD cost?

As of publishing, bistroMD prices start at $97 per week for five lunches and five dinners. Full programs for women cost $142 per week and include seven breakfasts, seven lunches and six dinners per week.

The company offers a 25%-off coupon and free shipping on your first week of meals. Its prices are competitive when compared to buying the range of ingredients needed for fresh, healthy meals each day.

bistroMD plans

bistroMD offers a variety of available plans based on different dietary preferences and needs. Select from the following available programs:

• Women’s Program
  • Men’s Program
  • Heart Healthy Program
  • Gluten-free Program
  • Diabetic-friendly Program
  • Menopause Program

bistroMD’s prepacked meal plans are flexible and don't require a long-term commitment. Once you’ve picked your weight loss program and selected entrees, bistroMD builds a personalized diet plan for you to help you burn fat and live an overall healthier lifestyle.

You can skip any week that you don’t want the meals or put your account on hold. bistroMD has a team of customer service representatives available online and over the phone who can help you cancel.

bistroMD FAQ

Are bistroMD meals frozen?
Yes, bistroMD meals are made from fresh ingredients and then frozen. They can be heated up and are ready to serve in minutes.
Can you cancel bistroMD?
Yes, you can cancel bistroMD or pause your membership. You must cancel before the weekly deadline, however, or you will be charged for that week’s plan.
Where is bistroMD located?
bistroMD is headquartered in Naples, Florida.
Where is bistroMD available?
bistroMD is available for delivery in all 50 states. However, there are some restrictions for those who live in Alaska, where deliveries are only available in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Eagle River.
Is bistroMD good?
Yes, bistroMD offers high-quality food without nitrates and other additives.

Is bistroMD worth it?

bistroMD is good for those who want to lose weight but don’t have time to prepare healthy, nutritious meals. Many customer reviews indicate that you can save time with bistroMD’s prepackaged meals without having to sacrifice the quality of their food. We also like that the food is made without nitrates and other additives.

bistroMD Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about bistroMD?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Got my first delivery yesterday. Had two meals so far and both were just gross, tasteless, and really inedible. I canceled this morning, but it is already past the deadline, so I will be getting another shipment next week that I have to force down because I don't want to waste money. Do yourself a favor, if you are able, just buy those Cafe Steamers in the frozen section. They are way cheaper and they taste good.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I was pleased with my first few weeks of bistroMD meal deliveries. As a diet plan, it worked really well for me; I was not hungry, had plenty of energy, and was dropping 1-2 pounds each week. The quality was reasonable, and I liked most of what I received. But the last two weeks have been incredibly frustrating. Deliveries took ***8 days*** to ship from Indiana to Wisconsin via FedEx. Tracking info and delivery predictions were completely unreliable. In both cases a box of melted slop was eventually dumped outside my garage by FedEx. There is no solution and no recourse. It is not possible to upgrade delivery or request a different carrier.

I did get a refund from bistroMD for the first delayed box, and am expecting a refund for the second. I have also canceled my bistroMD subscription and am going to try Freshly next. They don’t offer nearly the same variety of meals, and they don’t offer breakfasts, but their prices are pretty good and you can choose the day you want your meals delivered. For busy people who need to know when perishable deliveries are arriving, that’s critical. I don’t understand why bistroMD is so weak in this area, but I am thoroughly disappointed and tired of dealing with them.

Get buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Day 4 of waiting for my food, I'm starting to suspect it may have not just have been FedEx's fault. Also, this company uses the same hidden trans fats as every other TV dinner company. Anytime you see 0g trans fats on a label they can legally hide up to 0.49g of trans fats in the food as part of the FDA. (If you don't want trans fats in your diet look for labels that don't even say 0g trans fats.) There's no RDA for trans fats, they are linked to Atherosclerosis. Even the heart healthy options have hydrogenated oils. Now we just have to ask if this is neglect or malevolence. In their attempt to check all the boxes they forgot the one about giving a crud about your health. This is near 200 dollars a week to starve. Just eat healthy organic, free range, grass fed food and end this nightmare.

Original review: July 20, 2021

I've been a customer of BistroMD for a long time, but their food trays are dangerous. They use low-grade food trays that become brittle under extreme cold (such as dry shipping). The trays shatter while being shipped in dry ice. The shards of sharp plastic become hidden in the food. The consumer can be severely hurt. I've complained to them about this matter in at least six emails however, profits mean more than the safety of their customers so they stick with brittle plastic trays. It's actually a shame because their food is better than most and their menu is extensive. I guess I will take an injured customer's lawsuit for them to change it.

Original review: May 27, 2021

I ordered BistroMD in an effort to lose weight. At the same time I ordered meals for my husband from Hello Fresh. There is no comparison, the Hello Fresh was just under $100. All the food was fresh and delicious. Then Bistro MD charged me $250 for the same amount of food, it was gross! Not edible! If anyone loses weight it’s because they just didn’t eat it! Bottom line, DON'T Order from them. They have terrible food, terrible customer service and it’s WAY overpriced!!

Original review: May 22, 2021

I subscribed to bistroMD meals for my parents, as they are both temporarily unable to cook for themselves, and I live hours away. After trying a couple of meals, they admitted the food was not good, and they needed to cancel the subscription. They didn't give me details about what was bad about the food. The customer service, on the other hand, has been very good from start to finish: I had trouble signing in after creating an account, and I was connected with customer service almost immediately; I asked for clarification on the deadlines for cancellation, having read some reviews that the food was bad, and their customer service team cancelled my account preemptively (meaning my parents would get only one week and no further meals and charges) and gave me the info to sign up to continue the service if needed. Customer service has been both quick and helpful.

Original review: May 20, 2021

BistroMD I wanted to take the time to tell you how much I enjoyed my first box of BistroMD meals. There are however a couple of issues that deserve your attention. I waited until Monday to start enjoying my meals but was delayed almost a week. Here’s why. I pulled out the breakfast from the freezer with difficulty because the printing of the meal's name is hard to read because it has little contrast and the lighting in the kitchen from overhead casts of shadow from the top of the refrigerator preventing any light on the package name. I went looking for a flashlight to help me read the food titles and, naturally it was out of batteries. I called my daughter and she didn’t have any either so I got on Instacart and ordered some double A batteries from Albertsons. They didn’t come until the evening so I had to wait until Tuesday morning to start my meals.

Using my flashlight to illuminate the title of the meal I pulled out my ‘bacon and potato egg scramble’ and looked for the cooking instructions. They were nowhere to be quickly found. After a thorough search I found them under the list of ingredients but, unfortunately, they were too small to read. I got my glasses and still couldn’t read the printing. I didn’t have a magnifying glass so I called my daughter who lives a few blocks away to ask her if she had a magnifying lens. She said she had one but had loaned it to her son who had not yet returned them. She offered to call her neighbor to see if they had a magnifying lens. They didn’t have one either so she offered to go to Walmart to find one.

Apparently Walmart’s magnifying glasses were way too expensive just to read the cooking instructions on your meal package so I went to Amazon on my computer and they had one for $11.99 which I ordered with one day delivery. It was actually Thursday before it arrived at my house. I quickly unwrapped it and read the instructions. I decided to start my meals on Friday. I started my meals on Friday morning. I finally got to try the very tasty bacon and egg scramble. All of the other meals were just as tasty. So, in conclusion allow me to recommend a few suggestions to make the BistroMD experience even more enjoyable.

1. Enclose or attach a small magnifying glass to be able to read the cooking instructions.
    2. Enclose or attach a small flashlight to be able to read the title of the meal inside the refrigerator.
    3. Increase the thickness of the clear meal covering to make it easier to remove.

4. Print whether the meal is breakfast, lunch or dinner under the meal name in case I have misplaced the calendar.

Again, let me congratulate the BistroMD meals. They are truly an Epicurean delight.

John

Original review: May 20, 2021

I received my 1st order and tried their food, it wasn’t very good at all. Some meals I couldn’t eat after heating them up, they were just not edible. I told myself to try it for one more week to see if the next selection of meal would be better... more of the same garbage. Look at the photo, I can’t even tell what that is!! Now here is where it gets very shady... My 2nd delivery arrived Saturday May 15th. I decided to cancel the following Monday, May 17th, Somehow, right after I canceled my order and received my confirmation email that my subscription was canceled, the 3rd order magically shipped out. Keep in mind I had only received my 2nd week’s order two days prior to the 3rd weekly order being shipped out. I called to correct this and they told me there was nothing they could do to help and they will not refund me my money. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!

- Food is bad!

- They will try to scam you out of your money!

Original review: May 6, 2021

I recently gave Bistro MD a try. The food just isn’t good. Many of the meat pieces in the dishes were gross looking and feeling. Plus, I spent a lot of time customizing my menu after my first week’s order. When it arrived, my menu preferences were not updated. After waiting on customer service for 20 minutes, they offered me 15 % refund. It is so disappointing to spend $200 on food I don’t want. Bistro MD gets an angry thumb down from me.

Original review: April 25, 2021

It costs over $200 a week. They don't send you the meals you choose, they don't send food out on the same day AND they ship food out on Fridays so it takes 3 days to get to you. They don't use enough dry-ice. If the whole reason you want to do this is to stick to a diet, this isn't the company. They will blame shipping irregularities on the shipping company but they send the food out on different days - the shipping time is the same. The packers don't pick and pack the correct food. You're paying top dollar for problems you can get anywhere for a cheaper price and feed more people. It's an expensive hassle and an expensive lesson.

bistroMD Company Information