Looking for a weight loss solution?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.05/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

bistroMD Reviews

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I recently signed up for the meal plan through BistroMD and Love it! It is convenient, great tasting food and snacks. If you follow the directions about putting your food in the refrigerator 12 to 24 hours for each day's meal, the food when heated is delicious! It's super convenient especially for lunch and dinner when you work 10 hour work days. The 1st week I lost 5 pounds! Looking forward to continue this plan to hit my ideal weight goal. The promotion for the 1st week is great. After that it is a bit pricey but worth it for the taste, packaging, delivery and healthy options. It is definitely worth giving it a try.

Original review: July 23, 2019

BistroMD is outstanding. The meals taste great, portions are generous, the variety is sophisticated and phenomenal, preparation a snap -- could not ask for better. I'm on the diabetic program, and I'm amazed how their dietitians have put together satisfying meals with carbs so reasonable and protein so high. This is light years beyond Lean Cuisine in so many ways. Keeping a regular, healthy meal schedule to control blood sugar levels is challenging, and can be exhausting -- "diabetes fatigue" is a real thing. BistroMD really lightens the burden, and is a very good value for all you're getting.

Also outstanding support and advice available that really does make a difference, without demanding effort over-and-above using the meal plan. (Sure, there are a couple meals that fall into the "meh" category for me, but no big deal. I've cut back on # meals delivered to allow for some personal flexibility, i.e., breakfast of Greek yogurt/oatmeal in place of fairly heavy use of eggs in plan meals. But these are quibbles. Just including them so that you know my praise is with a critical eye.) My highest recommendation.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: April 3, 2019

I have recently begun with BistroMD and I have found not close to or ALMOST what I was on the search for, for pretty much years. I FOUND EXACTLY what I had been looking for. I DON'T care to cook. I DON'T care to plan and balance and coordinate calories and proportions and on and on. I know me, I WON'T stick to it. This has been EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED and I LOVE it. The packaging is hands down the BEST I've ever experienced. Your food will NOT arrive half thawed or warm. It is FROZEN SOLID! It is always arriving when they say. It is easy to substitute a meal you don't care from one of the over 100 other entrees. I recently realized I am even allowed to use breakfast as a lunch or dinner. AWESOME!!!

I'm a breakfast lover any time of day. Okay, someone said these are bland. They are NOT correct. I am LOVING the flavors. The last thing you could call this food is bland. I put mine on a plate and turn off TV and leave phone alone and I would swear a waiter just brought me out good restaurant food. For me being the only diner in my home-I am SAVING MONEY. I usually spend way too much at grocery store AND TOSS 1/2 of it as it spoils before I get to it. When you call to ask any questions they are the friendliness support staff you will ever encounter. My assistant and I laughed and giggled the entire call. Nope--I'm not a paid reviewer. That is unethical to me. I am very honest when I recommend products to friends and strangers. I cannot stand bad products and am upset when someone points me down a bad path. Don't know what else to say. This is hands down a FANTASTIC SERVICE!!!

I don't even understand why people bother with getting a box full of ingredients for same price and have to spend an hour preparing 3 items or more just to eat. NO THANKS. This is way to go! Oh! You WILL BE FULL AFTER YOUR MEAL!!! Guarantee. Drink your water as well but I promise you that you will be full and not get hungry between meals and there are snacks if you do. Last night I had turkey and I promise it tasted like I pulled out some fresh Thanksgiving turkey. Okay, hope this helps. I will return in a few weeks to review the weight loss aspect. I AM choosing to exercise in addition, as I was before I began plan so I will continue. I'm talking average exercise, not gym rat craziness. My cousin is considering this and I did agree with her that the web page can seem overwhelming but if you just slowly go through it, it becomes SUPER practical and easy and you can email, text or call them to boot.

If you're serious about beginning this plan or any other, you SHOULD be willing to take time to kind of study the website. GOOD LUCK to everyone. I am 100% positive that in 2 months I will be at goal weight and probably be very sad when I sign off of BistroMD. Who knows- it's SO easy and healthy I may just stay on it anyway--goal weight aside!!! LOVE BISTROMD!!! LOVE.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

BistroMD is the most amazing meal program that My wife and I have ever experienced. The menus are refreshed to keep our interest. Moreover, we can read all of the ingredients, which are “real foods” and nothing processed. We am totally perplexed as to why a few rate the meals/program below their expectations. The key to prep the entrees is the place items in your refrideration up to two days prior to consuming then follow the cooking instructions. Both my wife and I have tried several other plans and love BistroMd so much more than other plans. With our super busy schedules, this plan totally satisfies our hunger and satisfaction. We own a high volume grocery store and prefer these entrees for ease and freshness. This isn’t to say our store has inferior products, we simply love the simplicity and freshness of BistroMD... Keep up the great work. Real Fresh Food at our doorstep; we thank you for that.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I am writing this review because some of the negative reviews I read on here almost scared me enough not to give this company a try. Thank goodness I tried them anyway! I have tried many other weight loss company’s foods and by far this is the best! I taste amazing! It’s flash frozen and easy to prepare. Taste very fresh. I think the important thing to realize is important to take your food out of freezer the day or so before and place in refrigerator. I like to heat some of the meals in the oven. The containers say they are oven safe up to 400 degrees. I like to brown some of the breakfast items on the stove as well. I do believe good preparation is key to this product. Freezer to microwave can make any food taste bad and not cook evenly. The ingredients and quality is outstanding too. You can read and pronounce every item. I’m also very impressed with the quantity of food in each meal. I can’t eat it all.

This is a plan I can stay on for a long time as every week there are new food offerings. Its not the same food every week. I love that! My husband has always been down on the frozen and prepackaged meals that most weight loss companies sell. He agreed to give it a try. He absolutely loves it too. We are both so happy to have tried this program. Customer service has been great as well. Packaging is great. Food is delivered in dry ice in a heavy duty box with lots of insulation. No worries there. So, if you read some of the negative reviews and are unsure... try it yourself and you make the decision. I can only say I am so glad I did!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about bistroMD?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

The food is horrible and their shipping policy doesn't work at all. I ordered my first delivery and it wasn't delivered until Monday of the following week. I tried the food and didn't like it at all. On the same day, Monday, I went to my on-line account and cancelled my account. On Tuesday I received an email saying my net shipment was in pre-shipment status. The tracking number had been created by FedEx but it had not been shipped. I called them and the operator told me that because it was done on-line I couldn't cancel but that if I had called in person I could have cancelled it. How in the world was I supposed to know that? Now I am going to be stuck with 20 meals that are inedible. I definitely would not recommend this company.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I was contacted by the shipping company for BistroMD who was not able to find my home. They had returned the box to the central warehouse. The central warehouse called me the next morning and told me that they did in fact find my location but would not be able to deliver until late that afternoon. They let me know that the box had been in route since Monday and delivery was scheduled for Thursday evening. Since it was perishable, it was their recommendation that I refuse it and call BistroMD to set up a replacement or refund. I agreed.

When I called BistroMD, they informed me that somewhere along the way I had agreed to receive ALL packages no matter what even though they had verified my information with the carrier. Refusing was not an option even under the circumstance of a risk of spoiled food. They offered to refund 50% of the cost of the food. The lady I talked to was rude. Kept referring to their policy of never refusing. I am extremely disappointed. It is said that good customer service is hard to find. And that is certainly true with BistroMD. Apparently, they prefer customers to eat spoiled food rather than lose any profit.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

I received a nice flyer with a promotional offer and thought, what do I have to lose? The answer in my case is I lost a couple hundred dollars. The first week, my promo week, was full of learnings and mostly disappointments. The website could have made the low-carb options clearer, but I struggled through the app nonetheless and made my selections. Problem solved - right? Nope, when the customer service person received my email inquiry on low carb options, they reset the entire menu and it lost ALL of my tedious selections. So, I wasted another 30-minutes making selections again.

Problem solved - right? Nope, when I emailed customer service about desiring to drop the snacks from my program, guess what they did, reset my selections once again. So guess what happened? I lost all of my selections and ended up with items I would not have selected. My selections were clear and should have been saved or recreated regardless of the account changes. So now after my second shipment and the same issues, I now have a freezer full of frozen dinners that I will never try base on the fact they do not fit my dietary needs or preferences. I have emailed customer service for a refund or return option but have not received any response.

Now let’s talk about the handful of meals that I did try and eat. The first, chicken broccoli bake, it full of gristly-chicken and mushy rice with no flavor and resembles a porage texture. I emailed customer service on that one and they responded, "sorry you didn't like it". I'm not joking. For my delivery after that email, they sent me another one as their selection for me replacing my other selections. The buffalo chicken frozen meal isn't bad, and the salmon dishes were all of decent quality, taste, and size. The turkey dishes are bland, flavorless, small, and not satisfying. The dozen other meals will remain in my freezer until I hear back from BistroMD how to return for a refund since they were not my selections.

I have cancelled my account due to a poor experience with the website, customer service, and food quality. I did send one email last Friday requesting a return/refund for the dozen meals that I did not select. I have not received a response yet but if they do respond and provide a fair resolution then I will update this review to update others. I like seeing businesses pop-up to help bring healthy food options to busy people. I hope this business can determine how to provide that but from my 2-weeks experience they did not deliver a good solution from my perspective. Let's hope they take this criticism, provide a good solution, and make the necessary adjustments to improve their product, web application, and customer service. Despite these poor

Original review: July 20, 2019

I don’t even like having to give this service a full star! My boxes arrived today with hot spoiled foods. I promptly called their customer service and after a very long drawn out discussion and being placed on hold a lot for lengthy time periods I was told they must research things then get back to me in a week or two. Seriously? So they may or may not refund or replace my things but in the meantime I’m out hundreds of dollars on orders I must throw away! This company is disgusting to treat customers this way. I understand they may very well be used to getting false complaints but they clearly didn’t wish to even discuss this with me today.

I actually had to bribe someone to cart off this smelly mess to a dumpster because I wasn’t about to let it stink up my house through the entire weekend and I wasn’t willing to place smelly spoiled hot meals in my clean freezer in the meantime. I started this out today willing to accept a replacement but after this I only want a refund because I lack any trust that they value customers! I would rather get a full refund and take my business elsewhere to a place that is better to customers and actually values them!

Original review: June 22, 2019

Fresh food plan created by registered dietitians and prepared by chefs is what they promise. Old, tasteless carb laced meals is what they deliver. What women approaching menopause could eat bagels, crepes, rice and pasta at every meal and maintain their weight much less lose? The reviewer who said meals are predominantly protein and plenty of veggies with limited carbs is not being truthful. The protein that is there is dried out and overcooked. These meals are not fresh, some have been frozen for a long time.

One major point of contention is that the cancellation date for the following week occurs before you even get your first delivery. That is a practice of a company that must get a lot of cancellations and wants to guarantee themselves at least two weeks of business. Finally, what they advertise you will be receiving for the week is not what you actually receive. Steer clear. $10 a meal for 10 oz of uneatable food is like throwing money away. Go to the hot bar at Whole Foods and get a couple of rotisserie chickens and a couple of pounds of fresh veggies and you will definitely come out ahead.

bistroMD expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Frozen, doctor-designed meals delivered with the distinct dietary needs of men and women in mind. Customizable menus run five or seven days, starting at $89.96, with gluten-free and diabetic options.

• Menu choices: Choose from over 150 chef-prepared bistroMD breakfast, lunch and dinner entrees that are ready to eat in five minutes or less.

• Skip a delivery week: The delivery scheduling tool lets users pause their program for business or vacation travel, holidays or other events.

• Members-only support group: Free access to the bistroMD community is included with every program. Ask questions, share stories, and give and receive motivation.

• Connect with experts: Set up free consultations with your own personal registered dietitian, access the online health library and receive weekly program materials and access to webinars.

• Optional snack program: The EATS (Essential and Tasty Snacks) program can be added to any plan, starting at $3 a day.

• Best for women: Women’s programs average 1,200 calories per day with snacks and include options such as gluten-free, heart-healthy, diabetic and a menopause plan.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs