3.43/5
Based on 28 reviews that contain star ratings

28 bistroMD Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 3, 2019

I have recently begun with BistroMD and I have found not close to or ALMOST what I was on the search for, for pretty much years. I FOUND EXACTLY what I had been looking for. I DON'T care to cook. I DON'T care to plan and balance and coordinate calories and proportions and on and on. I know me, I WON'T stick to it. This has been EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED and I LOVE it. The packaging is hands down the BEST I've ever experienced. Your food will NOT arrive half thawed or warm. It is FROZEN SOLID! It is always arriving when they say. It is easy to substitute a meal you don't care from one of the over 100 other entrees. I recently realized I am even allowed to use breakfast as a lunch or dinner. AWESOME!!!

I'm a breakfast lover any time of day. Okay, someone said these are bland. They are NOT correct. I am LOVING the flavors. The last thing you could call this food is bland. I put mine on a plate and turn off TV and leave phone alone and I would swear a waiter just brought me out good restaurant food. For me being the only diner in my home-I am SAVING MONEY. I usually spend way too much at grocery store AND TOSS 1/2 of it as it spoils before I get to it. When you call to ask any questions they are the friendliness support staff you will ever encounter. My assistant and I laughed and giggled the entire call. Nope--I'm not a paid reviewer. That is unethical to me. I am very honest when I recommend products to friends and strangers. I cannot stand bad products and am upset when someone points me down a bad path. Don't know what else to say. This is hands down a FANTASTIC SERVICE!!!

I don't even understand why people bother with getting a box full of ingredients for same price and have to spend an hour preparing 3 items or more just to eat. NO THANKS. This is way to go! Oh! You WILL BE FULL AFTER YOUR MEAL!!! Guarantee. Drink your water as well but I promise you that you will be full and not get hungry between meals and there are snacks if you do. Last night I had turkey and I promise it tasted like I pulled out some fresh Thanksgiving turkey. Okay, hope this helps. I will return in a few weeks to review the weight loss aspect. I AM choosing to exercise in addition, as I was before I began plan so I will continue. I'm talking average exercise, not gym rat craziness. My cousin is considering this and I did agree with her that the web page can seem overwhelming but if you just slowly go through it, it becomes SUPER practical and easy and you can email, text or call them to boot.

If you're serious about beginning this plan or any other, you SHOULD be willing to take time to kind of study the website. GOOD LUCK to everyone. I am 100% positive that in 2 months I will be at goal weight and probably be very sad when I sign off of BistroMD. Who knows- it's SO easy and healthy I may just stay on it anyway--goal weight aside!!! LOVE BISTROMD!!! LOVE.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Biggest gripe is that bistroMD meals are super bland if you don't add salt or spices...and vegetarian meals are disgusting and rely heavily on soggy, slimy okra and eggplant. Each bistroMD meal costs about $10 dollars and you could easily get equally nutritious and better tasting frozen food from the supermarket for half the price.

Additionally, if you don't stay on top of customizing your bistroMD selections, they will slowly begin to send you more and more meals that no one else will intentionally order... The meals that they try to unload on you lean heavily on tilapia, okra, eggplant, and pasta. These meals are basically inedible slop... My dog will eat anything but he won't touch that bistroMD garbage.

Lastly, when bistroMD missed two shipments last month, instead of refunding $380, they just sent double shipments the next week. So, not only do I have to buy my own food the two weeks bistroMD failed to deliver, I also don't have room in the freezer for the double shipments when they actually show up. So like I said, stay on top of bistroMD or they will inevitably try to slip things by you.

Get expert buying tips about Meal Delivery Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

BistroMD is the most amazing meal program that My wife and I have ever experienced. The menus are refreshed to keep our interest. Moreover, we can read all of the ingredients, which are “real foods” and nothing processed. We am totally perplexed as to why a few rate the meals/program below their expectations. The key to prep the entrees is the place items in your refrideration up to two days prior to consuming then follow the cooking instructions. Both my wife and I have tried several other plans and love BistroMd so much more than other plans. With our super busy schedules, this plan totally satisfies our hunger and satisfaction. We own a high volume grocery store and prefer these entrees for ease and freshness. This isn’t to say our store has inferior products, we simply love the simplicity and freshness of BistroMD... Keep up the great work. Real Fresh Food at our doorstep; we thank you for that.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I am writing this review because some of the negative reviews I read on here almost scared me enough not to give this company a try. Thank goodness I tried them anyway! I have tried many other weight loss company’s foods and by far this is the best! I taste amazing! It’s flash frozen and easy to prepare. Taste very fresh. I think the important thing to realize is important to take your food out of freezer the day or so before and place in refrigerator. I like to heat some of the meals in the oven. The containers say they are oven safe up to 400 degrees. I like to brown some of the breakfast items on the stove as well. I do believe good preparation is key to this product. Freezer to microwave can make any food taste bad and not cook evenly. The ingredients and quality is outstanding too. You can read and pronounce every item. I’m also very impressed with the quantity of food in each meal. I can’t eat it all.

This is a plan I can stay on for a long time as every week there are new food offerings. Its not the same food every week. I love that! My husband has always been down on the frozen and prepackaged meals that most weight loss companies sell. He agreed to give it a try. He absolutely loves it too. We are both so happy to have tried this program. Customer service has been great as well. Packaging is great. Food is delivered in dry ice in a heavy duty box with lots of insulation. No worries there. So, if you read some of the negative reviews and are unsure... try it yourself and you make the decision. I can only say I am so glad I did!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Overall I like the idea of getting a meal made for me by a dietitian to my door and am willing to pay a little more for this, but bistroMD's prices are way too high and their service is not as advertised. I expected to talk to someone who would learn about me, my eating habits and learn my nutritional needs. Instead, I get a meal program like any other that is impersonal and made for the masses. How can a dietitian make meals specifically designed for me when they know nothing about me other than my sex and date of birth?

On top of this, you want to charge me $200 a week for this plan. This is way too much money for the services you are providing. In reality, I can get another meal plan for half that price and use the free App "My Fitness Pal" to get the same computer advice and the ability to watch what I eat. I am extremely disappointed. I think there is a need in America for a program like this, but unfortunately, bistroMD missed the mark. IMHO the meals and "service" are not worth their exorbitant $200 per week fee and I think they know this. Hopefully, they will fix their model and let's see if this review is even published on their website or will they delete it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about bistroMD?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I purchased the menopause plan 5 meals per day including a snack. OMG the food is horrible including the snacks. Ok well the breakfast meals were pretty good. I'm eating one now as I am hungry but it's for lunch. The snacks taste like cardboard. The presentation on the website has everything looking really good. I must also say the customer service the few times I had to call or email was great, Hence 2 stars. I really expected to be in this long term. But the lunch and dinner meals did not taste good at all. I cancelled after the first week of food. Also too expensive.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have lost 15 pounds so far this year by eating bistroMD for 10 meals each week - lunch and dinner. I think the food is great! Some are not my favorite but there are plenty that I do like a lot. I am a busy 50 year old female, 5'4" and weigh 133 - down from 148. The food is healthy and tasty, and prepared by a nutritionist. They send a FedEx Tracking #, and if I am not at home, it's easy to know when it will be delivered, and when it is on my front porch. The packing is done so well that even with the dry ice melted, the temperature is still frozen. I have tested it with a thermometer and always feel good that the food is safe. I hope to lose another 10 pounds before I go on maintenance, and will continue to use BMD for the taste and convenience.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

The meals from bistroMD are delicious. Some I have tried aren’t to my taste, but the ones I like, I love. The foods are frozen, but if you read the directions, it says to let them thaw 12 hours before microwaving. That improves the taste a great deal. The seasoning is robust and unique enough to stave off boredom. However, I could eat the Beef and vegetable soup with red wine for every meal. Why not just get frozen meals from the grocery store? Because the portions are weighed toward the protein side. There is a lot of protein in each entree, a small amount of carbohydrate, and a generous portion of vegetables. I hate cooked vegetables but they do something to the broccoli that make it very tasty. You get two snacks in addition to the meals each day.

So the other real plus is you get one on one consultations with a dietitian and trainer. If you are at a plateau or as in my case, I could not eat a whole meal to start with, the dietitian will give you advice based onto type of diet you have, your meal choices, and snacks. Exercise is added on week four and a trainer will help you choose things appropriate to your level of activity and strength. The important thing here is if it just about the food, you are not utilizing all the resources to make your weight loss successful. Having professionals to consult makes a big difference if you have been frustrated on other diets.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

The process is complicated and inflexible (food arrives on their schedule and they give you a *three day window* each week which is nonnegotiable). Moreover, meals are frozen on arrival and thus far, tasteless. They are poorer in quality and higher in fat that your standard Lean Cuisine, SmartOnes, or Healthy Choice Fare. They seemed unsurprised when we canceled and didn’t even ask why! I’d recommend against this particular service. Seems more hype than substance...

Original review: June 6, 2018

The food is absolutely disgusting. Do not order this product under any circumstances. The abundance of positive reviews are fake and should not be believed. The food comes old, frozen and loaded with additives/preservatives and is certainly not cooked by a real chef. It is very unhealthy and tastes terrible. I honestly couldn't give any of it away and ended up throwing it all out in the garbage. I tried to get my money back within the legal amount of time that they should be required to refund me and they refused. They told me that it was my fault for not reading the fine print and looking at the ingredients first. You are better off buying any frozen meal product over this, which it would be cheaper and taste better. This is a scam. Don't do it.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I was expecting so much from this company and had very high hopes. The food is bland and tastes as though no effort was made to add herbs, spices or any interesting textures at all, added salt and pepper and any attempt on my part to add herbs and spices makes the food taste worse. If these recipes were in fact developed by an actual licensed dietitian, that person may want to obtain a more in-depth education with a focus on cooking food that is healthy, flavorful and enjoyable to eat.

Most of the snacks are inedible. After attempting to eat the meals I have discovered that virtually all of the meat this company uses is tough, flavorless and of extremely poor quality. My dog, who will eat nearly everything he is given, ignores all of it. The "turkey sausage" included in a number of the breakfast meals is especially heinous. The vegetables are not of good quality and are cooked to the point of being flavorless and become mush in the microwave. Fresh vegetables should NEVER be mushy!

I am stuck with 2 weeks worth of meals, that cost me more than $300, that I cannot eat. If I had purchased any of this "food" in a grocery store I would have demanded an immediate refund! I have made four attempts to reach this company by email to cancel my account and the email address the company had provided for customer service is not correct. I will be calling to cancel my account and requesting a refund. After some research, I found it would be about half of the cost to put together the same program using frozen low-fat, low-carb frozen meals available from any grocery store.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Great customer service online, nice choices, reasonably priced, well packaged, great containers, easy cooking instructions, healthy recipes, quality food... BUT out of 21 dinners ordered, I think one or two were kind of tasty. For the most part, these are the most bland meals I've ever encountered. If I was wearing a blindfold and sampling several of these dishes, they would all taste the same to me. Some of the meals were downright weird &/or disgusting - glistening, flavorless, slimy are adjectives that came to mind. I so wanted to like these, but I have to be honest. They are the pits. Lean Cuisines are delicious compared to BistroMD and much cheaper. No doubt BistroMD's meals are healthy/balanced, but if you can't eat them without gagging at times, there's no point.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have use this type of service in the past and had a very good experience. I figured now that I am working 2 jobs and am trying to eat healthier I would give this a try... Major issues encountered, did not make delivery promise time, contacted me about delay. Did not communicate that I would not be receiving my customized menu and there was no option or way to adjust it for the week I was receiving. Was not able to set delivery date. And received a bunch of food I did not want and will not eat. What I have eaten so far was ok, but it seems like I can better quality from grocery store frozen dinners. Contacted customer service about my issues. Never responded just canceled my subscription. Good luck on your business!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Very unsatisfied with my experience & the taste of food with bistroMD. I’m not one to bash anyone and have never given a review before until now. I was sent another shipment of food that I DID NOT ask for and charged $199 before I could even make sure I liked the first weeks meals that I received. Very upsetting so please make sure you cancel after you order so they can’t take advantage of you in the fine print. Also, the quality of food is quite poor in my opinion. Out of the 21 meals there was honestly only 1 meal that I could force down. They are high in sodium which I wasn’t aware of and it’s no better tasting than a TV dinner you buy at Walmart to be honest. I'm a bodybuilder with a tough schedule so I was looking to make my diet easier and have it prepped. Never ever again. I wouldn’t recommend these to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

This program advertises it as workable for vegetarian/pescatarian diets. When I first signed up, it looked like I would have a long list of choices each week. Since I don't eat domesticated animals, I checked this carefully and the website suggested there would be about 30 different choices (mostly fish, but also some vegetarian). I was very happy with the food I got the first week. I received 10 different entrees for lunch and dinner. Some of the snacks have artificial sweeteners, but there were enough choices that I thought I could avoid those in the future.

Then after the first week of food arrives, only 4 entree choices and a smaller number of snacks were suddenly available. I was given many different reasons for this from a website glitch to a west coast based shortage due to overwhelming demand. Then finally someone admitted that not all choices are available every week and there actually are only 4 entree choices in the categories I selected. The same limited 4 entrees were available for the following week. Then because I had limited my choices, they only built a menu around 4 entrees (2 days) and left the rest of the week unfilled. The second week I was billed for the full week even though they were not sending 10 entrees.

After many hours researching, selecting this program and being hopeful it would actually work for me I discovered it is not what it appears to be at all. After lots of misdirection and frustration, I finally cancelled. If you are looking for a variety of foods that don't require eating lots of products from domesticated animals, don't choose BistroMD. If you are looking for a program with honest and informed customer service, don't choose BistroMD.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

My meals came defrosted. There is no customer service on the weekend only chat. They would not do anything for me. FedEx would not pick them up. FedEx left them in the lobby of my condo building. The dry ice was melted and odor from the box was overwhelming.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

BistroMD has provided me with great meals regularly for a good price and I have enjoyed every meal that I have gotten from them so far. Their meals always taste great and have great nutritional benefits for me. They are the best of these services that I have tried so far. But, they could add some more great tasting and nutritious meals to their already great lineup which would bring in new customers for them. Other than that, I will continue to enjoy their services for a long time into the future.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I like the quality and taste of the food that is delivered to me. I can pre plan my meals according to my schedule and what activities I have planned. It is flavored well, and seasoned well. They accommodate my vegetarian diet, and have many choices of meals to choose from to meet my needs. Organic products are extremely important to me for environmental and health reasons. And they accommodate that for me. It's easy to make meal plans, affordable, and reliable. So if I am going hiking, my meal plan is not something to heat up, but is easily ready to go on a picnic.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

This is an affordable service with great dinner options. Easy to use and very convenient. This was my first time using a service like this. I would highly recommend to anyone in the near future. The prices are a bit high, but so is the quality of the food. The food also takes a while to ship out. It's not same day delivery, which can lower the quality of the food. The food was great and appetizing. I chose this because I got tired of cooking. I came home late every day and needed an easier option. I didn't want fast food, so I looked into other options. Home delivered meals was my final option and I decided to give it a try. It definitely surprised me how well the food tasted.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I like the food provided. I think the boxing was amazing and made the experience even more fun which is saying a lot because it's essentially just a glamorized grocery shopping, but you get a lot for your money because it forces you to try new food. I think that they don't give enough of each option. I don't really have that many complaints other than that and I wish you could customize how much you get of each item more. I picked it for the price and convenience. I also wanted to try it out of curiosity and for fun because I didnt know what else to do with my life. I think it really does give you what it promises.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

They offer a really good and fresh food and is easy to go to purchase to their place or call for a delivery services, highly recommend when you need to cook something and don't have time. You can have the food in a good time and really great taste for your family. I wish they have a more wide menu with more options to choose a better interface to do business with them online and they need some promotions for their loyalty customer.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Customer service was very well provided and I enjoy the follow-up message provided before and after the delivery and this made it extremely easy during the ordering process. Text updates should be included to help when awaiting a delivery for on the go customer. This is also great when following up on delivery orders and past orders for consumer review. Online customer reviews provided exceptional feedback with five stars to help in the selection process. This is also helpful when reviewing orders and helping to communicate with an online community.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I like the fact that they have a fast delivery service, along with the food tasting amazing. I think that might be the one most important factor in the whole experience. Ordering a meal pack and waiting too long is just one of the worse aspect of other companies. Sometimes the food can come destroyed or out of place, in pieces or all together come back looking very unappealing. I wish it would look good every time I buy it but that just doesnt happen. But otherwise everything else is pretty good. I would tell them that this service is pretty good. The fact is that they pretty much deliver anywhere. I love to cook the food and taste all the flavor that they serve.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I like the fact that they deliver very fast and in a very timely manner. It's really good and I really like it. The features are great and cool and very innovate. I really like them. There is not any improvements I can recommend except maybe updating their website. It's a bit difficult to navigate and make it easier for people like me. This is a really good meal service. I have ordered from them multiple times with no problems and the food is really good.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I think that bistroMD is a great food subscription service because it is affordable and they send great recipes in your subscription. The feature that I like most from Bistro is that you get notifications to when you will receive your next delivery. I currently do not have any features that I personally dislike about Bistro. I think that the service is great and the food is really good. I think that it would be cool if they send a bit more food in the subscription box. One of the main reasons I picked this meal delivery service over the other meal delivery services is because most of my friends and family use this service. This service was very easy to use and it was easy to personalize your subscription.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I really love the fact that, despite being a meal plan with a fairly high extent of focus on weight loss, the food tastes great and is comparable to home cooked meals. I would rate the food quality slightly above that of diet-to-go, one of bistroMD's primary competitors. I would argue that the meal plans, the most exclusive of which reach nearly $200 per week, are quite expensive even for a full delivery service. It should be noted that while the meals taste quite good for a meal plan, they are not quite as good as comparably priced restaurant food in terms of taste alone. I selected this meal delivery service due to positive reviews from my friends that also had success losing weight. The customer service was fantastic and met my expectations handily.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

It was delicious and came on time with simple instructions. Packaging was perfect as well. Everything was fresh and clean and yummy. Deliver and ordering was super easy. Simple directions. Even a child could follow them and prepare it with no issues at all. I would order again and again. Would not really care to try anything else.

There's really only so much that can be said about the box and its service. Would not change a thing about the box, food service, packaging or delivery. It was even a great price for the amount of food that came in the box and shipping was awesome as well came fast. It's totally awesome and everyone should try it at least once to try the awesomeness they deliver. I wanted to try something different for dinner so came across this and decided to try it.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I have been using BistroMD for almost 4 months and I couldn't be happier. I have 20 meals delivered per week and they are all healthy and well portioned. I even have trouble finishing the breakfasts! The menu is vast, which you can easily peruse on their website, and it is also very easy to remove any meals that you wouldn't like from your repertoire. The meals all taste like they were prepared by a good chef without being too "foofy". There are basics like Meatloaf and Turkey with Gravy, diverse tastes like Jambalaya and Chicken Tikka Masala, and even classier meals like Beef Bourguignon and Barramundi Seabass with Sweet Coconut Pineapple Sauce. If you are considering trying a meal plan, try this one. You won't be disappointed. :O)

bistroMD expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Frozen, doctor-designed meals delivered with the distinct dietary needs of men and women in mind. Customizable menus run five or seven days, starting at $89.96, with gluten-free and diabetic options.

• Menu choices: Choose from over 150 chef-prepared bistroMD breakfast, lunch and dinner entrees that are ready to eat in five minutes or less.

• Skip a delivery week: The delivery scheduling tool lets users pause their program for business or vacation travel, holidays or other events.

• Members-only support group: Free access to the bistroMD community is included with every program. Ask questions, share stories, and give and receive motivation.

• Connect with experts: Set up free consultations with your own personal registered dietitian, access the online health library and receive weekly program materials and access to webinars.

• Optional snack program: The EATS (Essential and Tasty Snacks) program can be added to any plan, starting at $3 a day.

• Best for women: Women’s programs average 1,200 calories per day with snacks and include options such as gluten-free, heart-healthy, diabetic and a menopause plan.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs