2. Shopping
  3. Bacon Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.52/5

Applegate Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Applegate?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Applegate?

Original review: March 17, 2016

Uncured apple turkey. Has to be uncured for health reasons, and minimally processed. Free-range meat only. More expensive, but worth it. You may have read that processed meat such as bacon Americans currently eat is now known to cause cancer. I go to Sprouts or Whole Foods to find it. Kroger here in Texas generally has it as well, although yesterday they did not.

Bacon flavor stands on its own. If it can't, I'll switch brands or flavors. For the type of bacon I use, there is minimal grease. So I get a cast iron pan, put organic coconut oil in it, and cook my bacon in the oil. I'm not married to having to have bacon. When I didn't find my favorite brand yesterday at Kroger, I simply decided I'd go without for a while. I have drawn a line that I won't consume cured and highly processed bacon. If the only thing available is cured/processed bacon, I'll pass. I'll pay up to $8 for 10 pieces of high-quality turkey uncured free range bacon.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Smoked - I like the taste. I would shop elsewhere and let my store know that is why I stopped shopping with them. Baked in the oven. 400-425F for 15-20 minutes depending on how crisp I want my bacon that day. Sometimes I have some crunchy and some chewy. It is also easier to drain the grease from an oven pan and less messy than cooking on the stove. Camping and doing in an iron skillet over an open flame is also awesome. I prefer meaty bacon so I go through the packages to find one to my liking. It usually is easy to find. I prefer to buy in bulk and freeze to minimize bacon withdrawal.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I like applewood or mesquite smoked bacon - it adds some depth to the flavor and it's awesome when you do BLTs to keep the flavor from being too basic. I get a couple types of bacon. One is Salt Pork, and it's extremely tough to get unless I go on the day when the shipment arrives (which I do, because bacon is amazing). I wish they did more buying on the Salt Pork end, but for the most part, my grocer is good about supplying fresh cuts of bacon from the butcher. Baked in the oven. I do a 350 degree oven, baked at around 20 minutes, but I use two trays, and I rotate at 10 minutes. I also pre-heat the pans for even temps. If there is too much fat and too little lean meat, I am less inclined to buy. I really like a 40/60 ratio of fat to lean meat. Sprouts, where I buy my bacon, has really fantastic pricing, so I'm never stuck worrying that it's too costly.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I prefer uncured the most, smoked comes second. I adhere to the rule "The cleaner the ingredients are, the better". Then I can add as many salt, pepper, other spices to my own liking. I agree to pay more for cleaner, healthier foods, but there's a certain limit to everything. Or, if the price stayed the same, but the weight of a package considerably diminished. I don't eat much bacon; compared to others I barely consume it. I never eat bacon by itself; it's just to enhance flavor of other dishes, create succulence. I love uncured bacon since it's the way to control the taste, amount the extra ingredients put into the product, show creativity with food preparation.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Sweetened when available - it has the best taste and is not as fatty as other bacons. If we cannot get sweetened we go for smoked - but that is really high in sodium. Cook on a griddle so the fat - or most of it - is extracted. And we cook eggs and mushrooms at the same time - so all have a great flavor. If we feel that it is becoming too expensive, we would stop buying all bacon. Being retired means that we want quality food but at prices we can afford - I have a feeling that Applegate will come down in price eventually. Not the cheapest but it is healthy - more healthy than the others.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I love anything smoked. If bacon isn't smoked, it's not bacon. I also love the sweetness imparted by certain woods - applewood in particular. Fried on the stove top. Cast iron pan on medium to start. When the bacon begins to give up some water, flip strips to keep them from curling. Turn pan down to low (iron retains heat) and flip again as needed to keep from curling - maybe a total of 5-6 times.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Low heat, not crispy to the point it crumbles, just enough to be firm but not overcooked because we know now that contributes to cancer. I don't eat it very often because it's hard to find clean food in this country. I would purchase more but it's just not available and sometimes too expensive and also the slices have too much fat on them. I don't want to eat animal grease anymore than I have to.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Smoked and sweetened are both quite palatable and go good with eggs, pancakes, toast, or waffles. Not to mention as an ingredient in an omelet. Tastes good by themselves also. My wife brings it home pretty regularly, at least often enough that there is generally some on hand in the fridge or freezer. I like it cooked in a skillet when I'm camping. At home it gets cooked in a skillet or microwaved, depending on who does the honors. In the microwave I find that I can get it nice and chewy without too much effort.

The fat content would have to be greater than the meat content to make the purchase not worthwhile. As of yet that has not made the price prohibitive. The thick slices are definitely a plus, as is the meat being lean. Shrinkage is minimal with the aforementioned attributes so it makes the purchase easier to make and when it is served you feel like you're eating something of substance and not experiencing a "where's the beef" moment.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I do not eat pork smoked due to the nitrates that damage kidneys. Kosher bacon is only a few brands and Hormel also has it too but it is not always available. I do talk to the meat department about it. Fried on the stove top. I chop my bacon up and cook it with fresh garden herbs and add to leafy greens or with scrambled eggs. Bacon is also good as a topping for dips and twice baked potatoes. If it gets any more expensive as that is nuts.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Plain. I don't like flavor added. Fried on the stove top. Any pan. Keep watching. Don't walk away. I keep turning it until it's done and move around the pan to make sure it's all evenly cooked. Inconsistent flavor would end my preference. I also like sales on bacon and stock my freezer. My boyfriend sometimes buys Costco brand. Not bad.

Applegate Company Information