4.52/5

23 Applegate Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

This is a real good bacon. It is very tasteful and a good value for your money. Would definitely recommend checking it out. :-) I don't think you would regret trying it.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

It had to grow on me because I was use to nitrate in my bacon but I wanted to eat a little healthier. I like this brand when I have to take a break from butcher bacon. It have a great texture and thickness but not too thick. This bacon is good and is a must try.

Get expert buying tips about Bacon Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2016

All natural, no preservatives and no sugar are a plus. I shop at 3 different places so I am always able to find what I need. Bacon is not a weekly planned item on my list. Therefore when I do need it I shop at specific location. Bake 10 mins then flip, cook another 10 minutes. Put on paper towels. Wait to cool. Then eat. Put extra in fridge for another time.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Hickory bacon tastes great. I have to buy this from whole foods. This brand is hard to find elsewhere because a lot of stores don't carry it and it is an expensive brand. Cook in iron pan to give it a rich flavor, temp should be 475 degrees. I do not add any additional spices.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Organic & a overall good bacon taste. I can't taste the preservatives. It's new in most safeway stores. I've seen the turkey version of it as well but I'd rather stick with bacon vs turkey. Baked in the oven. You can microwave it or bake it. I have not pan fried it. I don't want to ruin the flavor by adding anything else to it. It can be more expensive than hormel low sodium. I used to buy hormel all the time. Started to taste preservatives and salt.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Applegate?

Original review: March 17, 2016

I like the smoked variety. It tastes best to me. The sweetened type makes me sick to my stomach! I cannot eat it. I also like the peppered, but only if it is hardwood smoked. When it has been unavailable, I asked why. The store told me that it was too pricey for the market. When I was told the price, I agreed. When the price returned to reasonable, bacon was available again. If the bacon is too fatty, it is NEVER worth the price. IF the price is too high, I will leave it. It is an expensive treat as it is. But, if quality goes down, but price is reasonable, I still would not want it.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Sunday Bacon is the best. It gets nice and crispy just the way I like it. We live in Brooklyn and usually use Fresh Direct (food delivery) for our groceries as there are no convenient grocery stores that carry organic food. Fresh Direct DOES NOT carry Applegate Farms but I would imagine that almost every decent brick and mortar grocery store does. Fried on the stove top. Med high temp, flipped when starting to crisp, cooked in an All-Clad pan. This is totally dependent on how crispy you like your bacon. I like some fat on my bacon but I don't want it to be mostly fat. This is expensive bacon but it is worth it to me to not have antibiotics and nitrates. If it were $8 per package, I'd have to reconsider eating bacon. Would be nice if all bacon were antibiotic/nitrate free so that everyone was eating healthy. No one needs antibiotics in their meat!

Original review: March 17, 2016

Smoked is my favorite flavor because its taste like fresh barbecue. I have consumed it for more than 48 years and it will be my favorite brand until I die. I love it with fried eggs, whole wheat toast or home fries and orange juice and coffee for breakfast. I also like to sprinkle smoked bacon bits over salads and soups. My grocer always have my favorite bacon. If not, the customer tell him to order it and the grocer always satisfy the customer or lose money. I don't care paying more for my favorite bacon and when I can't buy I am not gonna die if I don't eat it. Frying the bacon on its own fat will allow you to remove the fat and enjoy a healthy meat. Also placing the bacon over a paper towel will remove the remaining fat, so you won't regret it.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I prefer thick cut bacon that's smoked. At times I try the peppered variety. I've never purchased sweetened bacon. It's always in stock at Trader Joe's and sometimes I purchase it at Meijer. But it's always available when I shop at either place. I usually bake it in the oven at 400o in a cast iron skillet. If I use the stove top I use the cast iron skillet because it conducts heat more efficiently. Too thin bacon that becomes stringy when cooked or too much fat so that it doesn't crisp and remains fatty. Or if the flavor changes a great deal.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Plain bacon best, but do like hickory. I shop at 2 stores and it always there. Giant Eagle and Walmart just about always have it. I look for marbling of the meat with a little more meat, not too much fat and I look for it on sale, and stock up. Stores well in freezer.

Applegate expert review by Jim Angelus

Applegate produces a wide range of natural and organic meats, including bacon. Founded with a mission of changing the way consumers eat meat, Applegate sets high standards for its products to ensure buyers trust what they are eating.

• No antibiotics - ever: The organic and natural meats sold by Applegate are exactly that.

• No growth hormones: The pigs are never administered growth hormones.

• 100% vegetarian diet: All pigs are fed a healthy vegetarian diet - without any animal by-products.

• No nitrites: or those concerned about carcinogens in bacon, know that nitrites are not added, which means the bacon is uncured.

• Turkey bacon is offered: Those looking for a healthier alternative can purchase organic turkey bacon.

• Best for: Applegate bacon suits health conscious meat lovers, traditional bacon lovers and those who emphasize humane treatment of farm animals.

Profile picture of Jim Angelus
Jim Angelus Bacon Contributing Editor

Jim Angelus has 25 plus years of restaurant experience, and he brings this experience to his food truck. Bacon Bacon is a place where foodies and bacon lovers generally can find mouthwatering meals in a friendly atmosphere. Jim opened his food truck in 2010. It is now a popular bay area food truck and sandwich shop, open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch. Bacon Bacon has appeared on Food Network, CNN and Discovery Network. Most important to Jim, he has a successful business that allows him participate in the industry he is most passionate about and be home in time to put dinner on his family’s table.

Applegate Company Information