2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

4.0/5 (465 ratings)

About Xoom Money Transfer

Xoom is an international money transfer service administered by PayPal that works from your phone or computer. You can send money to more than 70 countries and deposit to a recipient’s bank account or arrange cash for pickup or delivery. Xoom also offers international mobile phone reload and bill pay. You can get status updates by text or email. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee if your transfer does not get to the recipient. Customer service is available 24/7.

Pros

• Money-back guarantee
  • Deposit, cash pickup or delivery
  • Lower fees for PayPal customers
  • Live customer support

Cons

• Higher fees for credit/debit funding
  • Daily, monthly and six-month limits

Bottom Line

Xoom is a simple way to send money abroad from your home computer. It can be pricey to send funds by debit or credit card, but many bank account or PayPal account transfers have no fee or lower fees.

Top Xoom Money Transfer Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Just sent money using this service second time… I loved this service. It's fast with very low service fee and hassle free. The first page gives you all information about the conve...

Verified

Xoom has been my go to service for money transfer to India. It has improved a lot over the years. Initially it used to take a couple of day, then up to 4 hours, and now instantly....

What does Xoom do?

Xoom is a money transfer service. Its services are available online from your computer, tablet or smartphone, so you don’t have to visit a money transfer location. You can link multiple accounts and use a bank account, credit card, debit card or PayPal account to fund transfers. Xoom offers three levels of service:

• Level 1 allows bank deposits or cash pickups of up to $2,999 in 24 hours and up to $9,999 in 180 days.
  • Level 2 has a limit of $10,000 in 24 hours for bank deposits and cash pickups and a limit of up to $30,000 in 180 days.
  • Level 3 allows bank deposits up to $50,000 in 24 hours and up to $100,000 in 180 days.

Xoom transfers typically take two to three business days but can be expedited depending on the payment type. Large amounts require additional processing time.

How does Xoom work?

To sign up for Xoom services, you need to provide the recipient’s name. The company may also request additional information, including your:

• Account information
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • Banking info (if you’re making a deposit)
  • Social Security number
  • Passport (or green card/driver’s license)
  • Proof of address (e.g., utility bill)
  • Bank statement
  • Pay stub

Large money transfer amounts require additional verification.

How much does Xoom cost?

Fees for sending money by Xoom vary by amount, payment type, delivery type and country. For example, to send $200 to Mexico costs $2.99 if you use your PayPal or bank account. If you send $200 cash for pickup to a recipient in Mexico, the fee is $3.99 for all payment types.

To send $1,000 to a bank account, the PayPal and bank account fee is $0, while debit or credit card funding will cost $3.99. To send $10,000 to a recipient’s bank account in Mexico by debit or credit card, fees jump to $251.49. But the fee is still $0 if you use PayPal or your bank account.

Xoom FAQ

Is Xoom safe for money transfer?
Xoom is a service of PayPal, a widely trusted company. Transactions are encrypted and your information is not shared. Xoom is a VeriSign-secured site that is federally regulated. If your money does not reach the recipient, Xoom offers a money-back guarantee.
How long does a Xoom transfer take?
Many transfers are available right away — if you have an existing PayPal account, cash pickup could be ready for the recipient in minutes, but your initial Xoom transfer might take two to three additional business days to verify if you don’t use PayPal. Large amounts might require additional processing time, depending on the payment and delivery methods.
How do I receive money from Xoom?
You can receive money by bank deposit, cash pickup or cash delivery (not available in all cases).
What is the limit on Xoom?
The limit on Xoom transfers depends on the country, financial partner, service level and delivery type. The maximum amount you can transfer from the U.S. in one bank deposit transaction is $50,000.
Is Xoom a good way to send money?
Xoom is a convenient way to send money without visiting a bank or money transfer location. Services are available online. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee if the funds do not reach the recipient.
How much does it cost to send money through Xoom?
Xoom fees depend on amount, delivery type, payment type and country. Higher transfer amounts have higher fees. PayPal customers pay $0 in fees on transactions funded with a PayPal account. You can visit the website, plug in your country and the amount you want to send to see the fee.

Is Xoom safe?

Xoom is an international money transfer service administered by PayPal, a trusted company. You can use its encrypted website to send money to over 70 countries. While fees can be high for sending money from your debit or credit card, Xoom does not charge fees for transfer from your PayPal or bank account. If you don’t have time to visit a bank or money transfer location, it's convenient to use Xoom from home. For customers who need to pay bills for their families abroad, Xoom also offers bill pay and mobile phone reloading service.

Xoom Money Transfer Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Xoom Money Transfer?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I would caution trying to use Xoom based on my experience. My bank account is verified with Paypal. I entered a money transfer for the purpose of paying a deposit on an apartment I am renting in the UK. All the information was correct. I then received an email from Xoom asking me to provide my most recent bank statement and more details on the purpose of the transfer. I provided all of this right away. The next email I received was from Xoom saying the transaction had been canceled.

On the phone, the Xoom rep and supervisor would only tell me that they were unable to verify my account (a verified account with Paypal and after I had sent a bank statement) but could not tell me why. It was a waste of time, and I will not try Xoom again. Follow-up: Immediately after posting this review I tried the same transaction using Wise.com and it went through.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

In September of 2020 in the middle of the Pandemic someone hacked my PayPal account from Indonesia and went into my bank account and did two separate money transactions. Luckily my banking institution noted this as a fraudulent transaction. However, this was very disconcerting to me and I immediately closed my PayPal account. However, the harassment from XOOM did not stop. They insisted that they wanted their money after my bank noted this as fraudulent. Even though they sent me an email that stated transaction was cancelled the emails continued. Xoom continued to push the bank to give them money from my account well into October of 2020.

On October 10th, 2020 they stated they were escalating this transaction through the Customer Verification Department. On 10/15/2020 I am still getting statement transactions trying to get their money. On 10/21/2020 they are still sending emails regarding PayPal so called binding arbitration. Supposedly this company was started by PayPal and I cannot believe that they allow this type of harassment to continue. On 10/22/2020 after I posted a review on BBB and Consumer Affairs XOOM sent a letter to me through the BBB. The gist of the message was that they were very sorry that my account was hacked and that my personal and financial information was compromised. They also stated that they were going to make sure that the account could not be used and closed as well as any collection activities would cease. However, this is not the case in the hear and now as I continue to get statements.

A year later September 2020 and I continue to get statements from XOOM even though they recognized they made a mistake and sent a letter of apology which stated they would close this fraudulent account. I just lodged another complaint with this company and this is what they said, "Thank you for reaching out to us about this concern. We're sorry to hear that. We’ve escalated your case to our Customer Verification Department so a specialist can assist you. You may also contact them directly at cv-requests@xoom.com." This message was sent on 8/18/2021. It is September 20, 2021 and I am still receiving statements from XOOM and no one has reached out to me. I am tired and frustrated with this whole process. I think everyone need to be aware of this problem.

Sincerely,

LC

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

On 6th August I ordered a cash pickup from my usual bank. I received a text message saying it was ready for pickup, went 3 times, teller said the funds were not available. I checked my bank account and the amount had been deducted 3 times. After several calls to Xoom, I received 2 refunds. More phone calls, promises of a final refund, but nothing came. Finally, I spoke to a very rude supervisor, who said the refund had been made, told me to contact my bank with a huge number of digits for a reference. My bank said they never hold funds. So, 37 days after the incident I haven’t received a penny, have spent several hours and pounds on phone calls, have been treated unsympathetically and rudely and Xoom still have almost £500 of my money. I am shocked, appalled and upset by their handling of my case. Xoom is fine until something goes wrong, even if it’s their error.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I Transferred $685.00 to a family in India who lost their income due to COVID_19 to their bank account on July 05, 2021. Within 2 hours, I received the message from Xoom that the transaction is complete. But, recipient never received the money. I sent the bank statement of the recipient to Xoom. Made several calls to Xoom (each time hold time is more than 45 minutes). I requested xoom to refund the money to my account which Xoom has not done yet. I will not recommend this service to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Without offering reason Xoom would not transfer funds which met highest standards of their policy and consumer protection. Agent said I would receive a call explain why within several hours. Never heard from them. Hard to believe a transfer could be more legitimate than this.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

Transferred money through Xoom. They posted an update that transaction is successful. The recipient of the transaction notified me that money never got deposited in his bank. Then the nightmare started of calling Xoom customer service (minimum 30mins wait) several times trying to explain them that the recipient never received the money and they kept on telling me that they received it. Had to send them the recipient's bank statement to convince them. Surprised to see how they track their transactions and how can they provide false information to the customer. I think this is a fraud on their part.

Original review: July 31, 2021

After many years of service transferring funds to relatives. Xoom had now moved to an authoritarian posture. Demanding ID’s of recipients. Which we sent along with explanations of purpose of the transactions. We have a house that is maintained by our Daughter and lived in when we go there along with the rest of the family. Along with the monthly budget there’s a litany of unforeseen expenses. Especially now since Covid has killed plenty of jobs. Xoom closed our account and only says due to sending to a recipient that “may” have violated the user agreement! No other reason than that. They go on to say they will be unable to provide any other information and further correspondence will not be answered. This behavior is suspicious at the least. Possibly a blessing in disguise, I would suggest moving to another remittance provider. This behavior has all the signals of Xoom preparing for a “change”. Good luck.

Original review: July 20, 2021

They literally stole 1600 bucks from me. Don't use this service ever!!! Once you send money they won't even try to get it back. This service is crap! I wouldn't use this service again if they paid me to.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Xoom charged my credit card $204. After completely verifying the four step verification process that they required. It was completed. Additionally, they asked me to verify with my bank and credit card company in which was also verified and completed. But they charged my credit card $204, they immediately canceled the transaction and have not mentioned anything about refunding the $204 charge. This company is a scam and it is a foreign company. Do not trust.

Original review: May 29, 2021

This is only my experience. Xoom was a decent money transfer service. I have used the service for about 6 months. It started being a 7 to 12 minutes transfer service then about 2 months ago it became a 24 hour service, I was not happy with the delay but I put up with it for about 4 to 5 transfers with 24 hour delay. Now it’s taking over 3 days and the transfer is not complete and every day I called customer service their answer is the Mobile Wallet parter company have digital issues. In plain English that is not my ** problem. I told them today to complete my transfer in 2 hours or return my funds immediately and don’t bother marketing any products to me thru Xoom or PayPal.

Xoom Money Transfer Company Information