2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.7/5 (1588 ratings)

About Wells Fargo

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

Pros

• Free online banking and mobile app
  • Free money transfers
  • Large selection of financial products

Cons

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

Top Wells Fargo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Wells has always been responsive to questions and issues, both online and through my local bank. Their fraud department is first rate. When my credit card was compromised, they re...

Verified

What is Wells Fargo Bank?

Wells Fargo provides banking, investment and mortgage services as well as commercial and consumer financing at 7,600 locations in 32 countries and territories around the globe. Wells Fargo mobile banking gives customers the ability to link their checking, savings, credit card and investment accounts all in one place. Customers can also deposit checks from their phones with the Wells Fargo app.

Wells Fargo financial services

Wells Fargo offers multiple products and services, including checking, savings accounts, credit cards and loans.

Wells Fargo checking accounts
Wells Fargo has five different options for personal checking accounts — Everyday, Preferred, Portfolio, Teen and Opportunity. Businesses can select from Simple, Choice Platinum and Analyzed checking accounts. Most personal and business checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.
Wells Fargo savings accounts and CDs
Wells Fargo offers two savings account options, Way2Save and Platinum Savings. Wells Fargo also offers CDs, which require at least a $2,500 minimum opening deposit. CDs are available at fixed rates and step rates.
Wells Fargo loans
Wells Fargo offers multiple loan types, including student loans, auto loans and mortgage loans to help you buy, refinance or renovate a home. The bank offers low-APR personal loans and lines of credit ranging from $3,000 to $100,000. Wells Fargo also provides loans and lines of credit for businesses.
Wells Fargo credit cards
Wells Fargo has several credit card options. Almost all Wells Fargo cards have a cash back or reward program, and a few have no annual fee.
Wells Fargo retirement services
Wells Fargo offers traditional and Roth IRAs. You can also invest in mutual funds and manage your portfolio yourself or with the help of a Wells Fargo investment professional. The WellsTrade Mutual Fund Screened Listed makes investing simple by pre-screening mutual funds. Wells Fargo Advisors, a full-service brokerage, is available to customers to help with investment planning. You can also invest directly online and automate your investing through the Wells Fargo Intuitive Investor.
Wells Fargo merchant services
Wells Fargo makes running a business easy with payment processing that allows you to accept card payments onsite, online or wherever you might be. Mobile payments are available for Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay. Wells Fargo benefits for business owners also include Clover point-of-sale systems customized fit your business needs.

Wells Fargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: June 9, 2021

The easiest of deposits and transfers from accounts. Also everything is on one page I have 5 accounts can see and work with all of them. Including credit card accounts and personal loans. Direct deposit is very easy. And you are protected from fraud. No need to call them anymore because you can chat 24/7 with a real person. I know that it's a brick and mortar type bank but I never go to the back for anything. No charge for checking and no charge for saving as long as you have $300.00 or more in the account. All in all pretty awesome???

Original review: June 1, 2021

I've been with Wells Fargo for years, over 20 in fact. I've never had a problem that Wells Fargo couldn't fix. Have had one bad experience with a nasty customer service representative, but other than that one incident, I've been treated with respect. Courteous people, and very professional. I will not be changing banks. I'm quite satisfied with Wells Fargo and the service they provide me. In my opinion Wells Fargo is the greatest bank there is. I will continue to stay with them, probably until the day I pass away. I'm very pleased with Wells Fargo.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I wanted to give a big shout out to Ms. Mame ** -- Georgia Ave, SS Branch! Mame always goes above the call of duty when I ask for assistance. Recently, I was in to replace my debit card along with another issue. She never makes you feel rushed. She's very patient and explains things in detail. She constantly wiped down her area due to COVID. That's a big deal in today's world. Once the process was over, she was reassuring everything was going to go well. Though it was one of the busiest time of the year, Christmas. Surely enough, in seven days my issues were resolved. Last but not least she is so respectful and professional! I want her to know how much I appreciate her... so please share this with her.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

These guys are the best banking institution we have ever worked with. They protect your account fiercely and provide you the tools to manage your money wisely. Additionally they have removed fees throughout the years that many other institutions continue to charge. They have embraced modern security solutions such as the as yet cracked AES encryption methods on your bank transactions and easily forgive overdraft fees, especially when you put money into your account the within a day or so. Local branches have personal touches and staff that don't push you to do anything at all. They will however give you the options if you ask for them so you don't have to go looking for them.

Finally, I have never had a reason to mistrust them on my accounts. Many people have said demeaning things about them but from my experience it has always been from a decade or so ago and usually are third party accounts. Am I fan? You bet I am. I actively sought out a way to leave this review because I believe they are the best model of a modern banking institution that knows what is important for families and individuals.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

When I send money to my friends in Zambia to their ministry I use Wells Fargo Bank. The ministry feeds widows and orphans. It is always expedient to get the donated money to them as quickly as possible. When I send the money by wire transfer I go into WFB. I am always met by the friendliest most amazing customer service reps, and the paper work is very easy to fill out to send the moneys.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Trying to sign and have notarized loan modification paperwork for Wells Fargo at a Wells Fargo branch. Paperwork has daughter's previous name on it, but she has marriage certificate showing previous name and new married name. Notary at Moline branch will not sign as she cannot verify that daughter is who she says she is. It's Wells Fargo paperwork, she has a valid ID, and proof that she married since the original loan. This is beyond STUPID!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I have had a mortgage with them for some time and went to refinance since the rates were much lower now. After 4 months of endless paperwork, escalating my account and "we are working on it", I finally stopped the process. This cost me $500 in fees. I went through Commonfund Mortgage got a better rate and with less hassle and paperwork. The whole process took a month and a half. Who ends up buying the mortgage but Wells Fargo. Go elsewhere for your refinancing needs.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Have carried WF as my mortgage holder for years.. no problem. Started refinance process with a credit score over 800. Six weeks later, twenty five documents and three days from closing they wanted information they already had. I told them to “pound sand”. Fast forward three weeks..I close on my current loan tomorrow with a lower interest rate, lower payments and no one asked intrusive questions. Piece of cake. Wells Fargo not so much.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

This bank has been going down for quite a while. I have been trying to add my daughter into one of my 5 accounts that I had for 20 yrs with this company and I have wasted three days and at least y 6 hrs of my time on the phone. The branch on Ulmerton: only Drive thru. The branch on Jasper: closed. The branch on Belcher: closed. The branch on West Bay: closed. The branch on E Bay: they answer after multiple calls and not happy that the phone rings.

I was able to get an appointment at another branch thru the 800 number. They did not tell me that on top of the documents my daughter had to be present. Asked to have everything ready and I can send her tomorrow: nope... nothing can be done... "next"... This is not Covid, like they try to blame on. This has been going on for quite a while. Employees are unhappy, they tell you right away, and obviously the voice is out and they are having trouble finding people.... or so they say. The fact is that this bank should not be in business, it does not comply with the minimum standards of customer care. Personally... it feels it is going bankruptcy.... too many issues everywhere....The internet is filled with bad reviews.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Filed a claim, rep said provisional credit within 30 minutes never received, got an email next day saying claim was closed. Called because it was less than 24 hrs, they lied said I didn't turn something in they never asked for. Called back, was told it would be reopened, never was. Called back again, lady tells me I will be sued and deny my right to a supervisor

Wells Fargo fees

Wells Fargo’s monthly service fees for checking accounts range from $0 to $30, though service fees are waived for teenagers and college students between 17 to 24 years old. Monthly service fees for business checking accounts range from $10 to $40. The bank charges a $5 or $12 monthly fee on savings accounts. Wells Fargo's checking account fees can be avoided by maintaining a specific average balance or completing a minimum number of transactions each month. Also, expect fees for late credit card payments and overdraft charges unless your checking and savings accounts are linked.

Wells Fargo check cashing fee
    You only have to pay a Wells Fargo Bank fee to cash a check if you don’t have an account. The cost for nonmembers to cash a check at a Wells Fargo bank is $7.50.
    Wells Fargo transfer fee
    It costs $0 to transfer money between Wells Fargo accounts or for bank-to-bank transfer service.
    Wells Fargo overdraft fee
    Wells Fargo charges a $35 overdraft fee per item.
    Wells Fargo ATM fee
    ATM fees are $0 for Wells Fargo customers when they use a Wells Fargo ATM. Cash withdrawals at non-Wells Fargo ATMs are $2.50 each, and account balance inquiries are $2 each.
    Wells Fargo foreign transaction fee
    Wells Fargo’s foreign transaction fees reach up to 3% on some accounts. Outside of the U.S., ATM cash withdrawals are $5 each and ATM accounts transfers are $2 per transfer.
    Wells Fargo cash advance fee
    Wells Fargo’s cash advance fees are up to $12.50 per transaction. Credit advances vary based on the account.

Wells Fargo Bank FAQ

Does Wells Fargo have 24/7 customer service?
    Yes, Wells Fargo has 24/7 customer service available by phone and online.
    Is Wells Fargo a commercial bank?
    Yes, Wells Fargo provides commercial banking services and products for individuals and businesses.
    What states have Wells Fargo banks?
    Wells Fargo has locations throughout the U.S. in all states except Hawaii, Oklahoma, Missouri, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massasschetts, Rhode Island and Maine.
    What are Wells Fargo’s dealer services?
    Wells Fargo’s dealer services provide indirect auto financing, commercial products and banking services to auto dealers.
    How old do you have to be to open a bank account at Wells Fargo?
    You can open a Wells Fargo account with a parent or guardian at 13 years old. You must be at least 18 years old to open an account on your own.

Is Wells Fargo a good bank?

Wells Fargo offers many options to handle your financial needs, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investments and loans. Compared to other banks, interest rates and fees are average. Overall, Wells Fargo’s products and services are robust and allow you the convenience to bank however and wherever you like.

Wells Fargo Company Information