3.4/5 (748 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Wells Fargo

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Pros

• Free online banking and mobile app
    • Free money transfers
    • Large selection of financial products

Cons

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

Top Wells Fargo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Wells has always been responsive to questions and issues, both online and through my local bank. Their fraud department is first rate. When my credit card was compromised, they re...

Verified

These guys are the best banking institution we have ever worked with. They protect your account fiercely and provide you the tools to manage your money wisely. Additionally they h...

What is Wells Fargo Bank?

Wells Fargo provides banking, investment and mortgage services as well as commercial and consumer financing at 7,600 locations in 32 countries and territories around the globe. Wells Fargo mobile banking gives customers the ability to link their checking, savings, credit card and investment accounts all in one place. Customers can also deposit checks from their phones with the Wells Fargo app.

Wells Fargo financial services

Wells Fargo offers multiple products and services, including checking, savings accounts, credit cards and loans.

Wells Fargo checking accounts
    Wells Fargo has five different options for personal checking accounts — Everyday, Preferred, Portfolio, Teen and Opportunity. Businesses can select from Simple, Choice Platinum and Analyzed checking accounts. Most personal and business checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.
    Wells Fargo savings accounts and CDs
    Wells Fargo offers two savings account options, Way2Save and Platinum Savings. Wells Fargo also offers CDs, which require at least a $2,500 minimum opening deposit. CDs are available at fixed rates and step rates.
    Wells Fargo loans
    Wells Fargo offers multiple loan types, including student loans, auto loans and mortgage loans to help you buy, refinance or renovate a home. The bank offers low-APR personal loans and lines of credit ranging from $3,000 to $100,000. Wells Fargo also provides loans and lines of credit for businesses.
    Wells Fargo credit cards
    Wells Fargo has several credit card options. Almost all Wells Fargo cards have a cash back or reward program, and a few have no annual fee.
    Wells Fargo retirement services
    Wells Fargo offers traditional and Roth IRAs. You can also invest in mutual funds and manage your portfolio yourself or with the help of a Wells Fargo investment professional. The WellsTrade Mutual Fund Screened Listed makes investing simple by pre-screening mutual funds. Wells Fargo Advisors, a full-service brokerage, is available to customers to help with investment planning. You can also invest directly online and automate your investing through the Wells Fargo Intuitive Investor.
    Wells Fargo merchant services
    Wells Fargo makes running a business easy with payment processing that allows you to accept card payments onsite, online or wherever you might be. Mobile payments are available for Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay. Wells Fargo benefits for business owners also include Clover point-of-sale systems customized fit your business needs.

Wells Fargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I have done business with Wells Fargo for many years and most of the services they offer are done in a professional manner. They work to help you any way they can to find the right mortgage, loan, credit card, etc., that's just right for you. Their rates are competitive and offer services for whatever stage of life you're in.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I have been with Wells Fargo for 20 plus years. I have always had a great relationship with this company. Recently in the past few years they have been gradually increasing the yearly fee. I'm not happy about this. And recently I had a problem trying to get hold of my agent. I ended up talking with another agent to get my request put through. Seriously considering going through another investment Company.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2021

The easiest of deposits and transfers from accounts. Also everything is on one page I have 5 accounts can see and work with all of them. Including credit card accounts and personal loans. Direct deposit is very easy. And you are protected from fraud. No need to call them anymore because you can chat 24/7 with a real person. I know that it's a brick and mortar type bank but I never go to the back for anything. No charge for checking and no charge for saving as long as you have $300.00 or more in the account. All in all pretty awesome???

Original review: June 1, 2021

I've been with Wells Fargo for years, over 20 in fact. I've never had a problem that Wells Fargo couldn't fix. Have had one bad experience with a nasty customer service representative, but other than that one incident, I've been treated with respect. Courteous people, and very professional. I will not be changing banks. I'm quite satisfied with Wells Fargo and the service they provide me. In my opinion Wells Fargo is the greatest bank there is. I will continue to stay with them, probably until the day I pass away. I'm very pleased with Wells Fargo.

Original review: May 31, 2021

One problem I have found is if Wells Fargo has a default address for a company you want to pay, the correct address cannot be used because the address keeps changing back to the default. Consequently, I need to mail that particular bill every month rather than using Wells Fargo's online banking.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Where do I start. If you employ Rasheedah ** as a branch manager, I question your judgement. She is very unprofessional and rude. I don’t know if she thought because I was younger than her that she could talk to me crazy, I was not having it. She refused my business and proceed to call the police on me which was uncalled for. She is disrespectful. Do yourself a favor and don’t go to Wells Fargo.

Original review: May 2, 2022

I've been trying for months to close my account due to their new policies requiring me to do so as I'm no longer living in the USA. It's been a terrible experience, requiring multiple international calls as they don't have an email address. Finally, after I removed my money from the bank account through costly overseas ATM withdrawals as I can't transfer the money if I'm not living in the USA, they sent me a convenience fee so I still can't close my account until after paying an 8 USD debt fee. Utterly terrible bank. Avoid at all cost. The Entire process has been frustrating and costly. I recommend everyone to avoid them like the plague.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I was scammed by an online store fireamsforsale store. The online store went through a checkout process and generated an invoice. The website has an integrated chat that popped up and told me how to pay for my merchandise. It said to send a Zelle payment for $1,055. I did this through the WellsFargo app. I then discovered that the entire online store is a scam. It is still up and running. Wells Fargo did nothing about it even though I turned over all the screenshots to their fraud department. They said that even though Zelle is integrated into the Wells Fargo app that they have no responsibility for what happens. I have been a Wells Fargo customer for over 20 years. I can not describe how disappointed and angry this makes me feel.

Original review: April 14, 2022

I've been with Wells Fargo since 2007 and recently I've been having nothing but problems with my credit card and now my debit card. How can a REp within Wells Fargo keep over riding my info and sending it to AL. I've had 3 c/c send to a fraud address yet they can't answer why..A few times while talking with fraud department same young lady has hung up phone in my ear because she can't answer what I'm saying. They have let a person come delete all my personal info and put in their info and yet sent the card over night AGAIN to that fraud addy. Talk with suppose to be REP yesterday after get text message say I ask for verify code. Nope wasn't me. Talked over hour and REP assured everything would be handled.

Today I go into store to light shopping debit card declined. I call. They froze that now because somebody called and said to mail my debit card to that say fraud addy wow... Wells Fargo you sure can't protect me nor my assets. Looks as though time to find a better banking account. Here it is EASTER approaching and I won't have no money access till the following Monday but tells me to call if not received by Saturday. To be truthful I'm believing it's a internal job with Wells Fargo. How can they keep letting the addy be changed? At first it was just with c/c. Now my debit card being attacked. I've filed for grievance see what I can get. They should be able to go back to all phone calls and see what REP keep sending out fraud card....

Original review: April 7, 2022

Every time I call this bank I get out of state support, not in USA..I was so sick of this I closed my account, I'm done with you Wells Fargo. I was pulling my hair out trying to tell these people to transfer me to someone in the USA.

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Wells Fargo fees

Wells Fargo’s monthly service fees for checking accounts range from $0 to $30, though service fees are waived for teenagers and college students between 17 to 24 years old. Monthly service fees for business checking accounts range from $10 to $40. The bank charges a $5 or $12 monthly fee on savings accounts. Wells Fargo's checking account fees can be avoided by maintaining a specific average balance or completing a minimum number of transactions each month. Also, expect fees for late credit card payments and overdraft charges unless your checking and savings accounts are linked.

Wells Fargo check cashing fee
        You only have to pay a Wells Fargo Bank fee to cash a check if you don’t have an account. The cost for nonmembers to cash a check at a Wells Fargo bank is $7.50.
        Wells Fargo transfer fee
        It costs $0 to transfer money between Wells Fargo accounts or for bank-to-bank transfer service.
        Wells Fargo overdraft fee
        Wells Fargo charges a $35 overdraft fee per item.
        Wells Fargo ATM fee
        ATM fees are $0 for Wells Fargo customers when they use a Wells Fargo ATM. Cash withdrawals at non-Wells Fargo ATMs are $2.50 each, and account balance inquiries are $2 each.
        Wells Fargo foreign transaction fee
        Wells Fargo’s foreign transaction fees reach up to 3% on some accounts. Outside of the U.S., ATM cash withdrawals are $5 each and ATM accounts transfers are $2 per transfer.
        Wells Fargo cash advance fee
        Wells Fargo’s cash advance fees are up to $12.50 per transaction. Credit advances vary based on the account.

Wells Fargo Bank FAQ

Does Wells Fargo have 24/7 customer service?
        Yes, Wells Fargo has 24/7 customer service available by phone and online.
        Is Wells Fargo a commercial bank?
        Yes, Wells Fargo provides commercial banking services and products for individuals and businesses.
        What states have Wells Fargo banks?
        Wells Fargo has locations throughout the U.S. in all states except Hawaii, Oklahoma, Missouri, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massasschetts, Rhode Island and Maine.
        What are Wells Fargo’s dealer services?
        Wells Fargo’s dealer services provide indirect auto financing, commercial products and banking services to auto dealers.
        How old do you have to be to open a bank account at Wells Fargo?
        You can open a Wells Fargo account with a parent or guardian at 13 years old. You must be at least 18 years old to open an account on your own.

Is Wells Fargo a good bank?

Wells Fargo offers many options to handle your financial needs, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investments and loans. Compared to other banks, interest rates and fees are average. Overall, Wells Fargo’s products and services are robust and allow you the convenience to bank however and wherever you like.

Wells Fargo Company Information