1.00/5

Wayzata, MN

307 TCF Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 18, 2019

What's painful is having one of your kids make a mistake and it costs us and his sister getting hacked and all our money being taken from checking and savings accounts. What's worse is TCF bank saying my son made the mistake and it's not on them. Being a very long time customer - I now know we are not valued. And the hackers/scammers spent all the money in one day in California where we have not been at all. It's hard living pay check to pay check let alone having this happen. It is devastating. Try going almost 3 weeks with no money. 1 step forward and 5 back. Thanks TCF. If you're looking for a bank, I recommend you don't go to TCF.

Original review: May 11, 2019

This particular TCF branch has discriminated against me twice in the last six months, most recently a few days ago when they refused to accept a cash deposit unless I provided identification. When is identification a requirement to deposit cash into your own bank account? Both times I was forced to go to another TCF branch who took the deposits with no questions asked or demands for identification. This branch is staffed by a majority of Hispanics, in fact on both occasions there were 4 Hispanic women who seemed to enjoy refusing to provide service to me and suggested I go to another branch.

I filed a formal complaint with TCF Bank corporate this time but have yet to hear back. Not only do they discriminate but continued to harass me by filing a false police report against me for a hate crime. Really? I was the one discriminated against and when I mentioned that to the branch employees I guess they figured they needed to cover themselves by lying. Unfortunately for TCF Bank I am not going to be silenced.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Despite having more than enough money in my account when making purchases (and made sure I would have plenty left after these purchases) I was charged an overdraft fee totaling around $100. I called the bank to see if I could get a refund on this fee since I wasn't even opted into their overdraft option (so they shouldn't have let me overdraft even if I did go into negative numbers which I didn't). They told me over the phone they didn't see any charges in regards to overdraft fees. They said this as I was holding a letter from their bank in my hands clearly showing they charged me overdraft fees.

Original review: April 30, 2019

This bank, both the phone line's call center and the branch at the Quarry in Minneapolis, are the most inept I've come across in decades. I cannot wait to get my money out of this place once and for all; I will never willing do business with them again. They totally messed up an inherited IRA, didn't have correct information on three accounts, failed to acknowledge I was indeed the real beneficiary, failed to know even the basics about required minimum distributions on IRAs, continue to not send me any statements of account, can't answer basic questions, and cost me an unnecessary lawyer's bill to get this straightened out because their record keeping was erroneous. It is still messed up.

These people, including the branch manager, appear to be so poorly trained that it has been a shocking experience. I know everyone has issues with the big banks, but I can't wait to get back to my regular Big Bank; despite complaints about them, they at least seem to usually know what they are talking about and keep much better records. TCF seems pretty fishy to me. This outfit needs closer monitoring...and better training for all employees. Call center can't really help at all with IRSs, so that's a waste of time.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Once upon a Time TCF Bank called us and said, "We suspect there are fraudulent charges on your account. We're going to need to close your account to protect your assets. Don't you worry customer no more fraudulent charges will pass through your account because we've got you covered." "No you can't lock your card but don't worry. We're going to issue you a new card. Of course you'll have to drive all the way to a bank branch to do this but we have free coffee." I woke up about a week later to the postman delivering mail from TCF Bank saying that they had reversed the charges. I'm taking the money back out of my account for these fraudulent charges. Oh wait a minute they never put the money back in my account tote it was always out.

Wait a minute. What are these additional six charges from the same people. Once upon a Time I read the story called the credit card act. The short and skinny of the credit card act is this. If you lose your credit card, you're responsible for up to $50 in fraudulent charges. On the other hand if you still have your credit card and your account has been fraudulently charged all charges will be reversed. You're responsible for no charges. The requirement of TCF Bank and Visa and Uncle Sam the good old United States of America and the credit card act States the only requirement is that you notify your bank within 60 days. Now you would think that when your bank notifies you that there are suspected fraudulent charges and says, "We have to close your card and you need to get a replacement" that there would be no problem but then well the truth is you bank at TCF Bank.

You guessed it. I spent two days on the phone with these people and they don't have a clue I received a letter telling me to contact them at this phone number and they would. I could get information on the documents that they use to make their decision. But wait, did I forget to mention we bank at TCF Bank? They're not responsible for what's written in the letters they sent to you. They don't have the documents nor they going to provide them or give them to you or talk about him because you've called the wrong phone number obviously. No I called TCF Bank at the phone number they gave me to call. I talked to Mike employee number ** in Minnesota. I talked to Nancy employee number ** and Chicago Illinois, and I talked up employee ** Florida location.

When I finally discovered that I wasn't talking to the credit card dispute department. I really doubt they have a disputed apartment although that's what the letter said to talk to you at this phone number. It's like I was talking to minimum wage employees who are reading script. This is what talking to TCF Bank is like. Have you ever watched Idiocracy the movie. I can see the TCF Bank employee pre-employment test. Okay you have two buckets. One of them is empty, how many buckets do you have. I guess you have to watch the movie to understand that the test or just call TCF Bank and you'll understand. Let's see. TCF Bank calls me and says, "Fraudulent charges on your account. Let's cancel the credit card" and then makes me pay for a anyway.

Number 2. Our savings account has never seen an interest payment yet. In 2 years. Is there like a minimum that you have to have your savings account before they actually pay you interest? Really. For some reason it takes two to six days for money to be transferred on as a scheduled transfer from their checking account to their savings account. Really? No wait. I have to say this. There's two new things that will revolutionize business and maybe TCF Bank should check into these things. They're called computers and the internet.

Last but not least. One time I deposit cash at the ATM at the bank branch on Juanita in Mesa. I think it was something like $300 in cash and the deposit didn't show up. It took 3 days to credit my account. TCF Bank put a hold on cash deposit. Thank you Jesus. Thank you Lord for the patience you have given me on this Earth. TCF Bank does a free coffee.

When I called the the bank the first person I spoke to was in the Florida location employee number **, he was in the fraud department. But wait. He couldn't pull up the letter that TCF had sent me the transactions anything. He had no knowledge of the account yet he was in the fraud department and a supervisor. You also didn't have an email address at TCF Bank nor did he have the ability to transfer me to someone who could see these details like customer service. This is when I first put the hockey goalie helmet on to protect my head just in case I followed my phone into the brick wall.

I spent some more around 9 hours talking to TCF Bank, it felt like 27. I guess maybe TCF Bank could make all this right if I could get a job at the fraud department and I could just call it in from home like everybody else does at the fraud department. I have never gotten satisfaction concerning our accounts or anything else. I guess look for me soon at a bank near you. I'll be the one holding the sign out on the sidewalk wearing a hockey helmet just in case I have to call them on the phone to try and straighten out some problem they have.

You know the government has created to protect citizens in just these kind of issues TCF Bank does have free coffee. I guess my problem is I'm a bank customer instead of a bank owner. That's where I need to be. Sometimes I get the feeling that TCF Bank just doesn't care about us as customers. What do you think. I bet you money that they won't publish this review but then again there's so little left in my account anyway I'm scared.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TCF Bank?

Original review: April 5, 2019

Terrible bank, instead of increasing my line they want me to refinance it, took over a month, lost pay stubs, had income documented in err. In lieu I decided to pay off the existing and move on to Garden State.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Poor experience overall. Little functionality on online banking portal, no digital statements or records. Due to the lack of online banking functionality, it was difficult to get accurate information about the current account balance and escrow balance. Terrible experience when our condo was moved into a flood zone. TCF escrow dept. purchased the most expensive flood insurance policy possible to cover our mortgage. I have since closed my account.

Original review: March 21, 2019

TCF Bank will take your money. Do not do business with this bank. Bank will not stand for the customer if someone took money out of your account. If there’s below zero I will give this bank -10 stars -10. Be careful everyone.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I went to TCF Bank branch to cash my $6,000 check and was told there would be a 3% check cashing fee because I did not have a account with TCF. I agreed to the 3% check cashing fee which was $180 dollars. Then after standing there for 20 minutes they told me they could not and would not cash my check that was drawn off their Bank their customer so I walked out with the check I walked in with, no money and a very pissed-off attitude so I suggest if you have a TCF check tear it up and throw it back at the person that wrote it to you because that bank will not cash it.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I made a purchase through wish.com app for an expensive water slide. The charge was for $553 dollars. It was junk, I sent it back through wish.com process with label they provided me. I never got my money back as wish said they never received it, when in fact they did. I filed a dispute with TCF and have been trying repeatedly to get my money back, sent TCF all of my documents that PROVED I sent it back and that Wish was lying saying they didn't, and even with ALL of the proof, they refuse to stand by their customer and are siding with Wish. So now I have no product, and no money. I have been a customer for 9 years. And this is just awful. I am closing my account and going with a bank that will stand by their customers.

TCF Bank Company Information