2. Finance

Wayzata, MN

3.5/5 (243 ratings)

About TCF Bank

TCF Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TCF Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TCF Bank?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Legit haven't been able to view my account info for about 3 days, can't get anywhere with the call banking, only bank I've ever had that tries to stay out of contact with you, blame you for everything even though it happens on their end. Pick any other bank than this one. Going to go to pnc instead soon.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

TCF 'Customer Service' is miserable. First their website hides the number, then when you DO find it you are connected overseas where the agents talk entirely too quickly in broken English and that is only if you can hear them over the distortion from the connection. Inevitably their first line is to tell you to 'restart' or 'refresh' to handle the problem...anything beyond that they have to connect you to the next level tech, which means they put you on hold until you are forced to hang up (last call took me 20 minutes before I had to get on with my day). TCF has been the worst for a long time, their merger with Chemical Bank has only made them worse. Time to move to my credit union full time... am done with their garbage.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

TCF merged with Chemical Bank. They charged a fee to one of my two loans as an overdue bill. After complaining and them falsely blaming me for their error...They agreed to waive the fee. My other loan is being overcharged interest by at least $25 per month. When I complained “Teri” stated they will charge me more interest, $200 per month. She said she’d file a complaint for me and then I’d hear from them. I’ve heard nothing from them. They lie. So what should be $153 per month interest and the rest applied to principal is $179 in interest and nothing applied to principal. Their excuse was two fold, their system did not take out a payment, which is automatic and has been for years now. And they stopped taking out $200 per month automatically which was what happened pre merger in order to pay towards principal. The approx 50 extra per month was to be applied to principal.

Instead of correcting the problem they blamed it on me then said I owed more in interest not less. Then there is my savings account which cannot be accessed thru ATM but if I don’t deposit into it then they take money out. They’ve taken at least 40 if not 60 dollars out of my savings account. All of this during a pandemic. If there were negative five stars I’d give them negative five stars.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

If I could avoid giving any star rating, I would. When Chemical and TCF banks merged, my nightmare began. Having a home equity line of credit, all that is required is to make the minimum payments and provide a copy of homeowners policy. After the merger, I received a copy of the policy change that showed TCF on the policy; which means TCF received a copy as well. First I received a "Second and Final notice to provide proof of coverage" and, in response, a copy was mailed. Next, a letter of "forced" coverage levied upon the balance of the loan. I called the loan department and was placed on hold, after being asked for my phone number "In case we are disconnected and she could call back." I hung up after 15 minutes on hold and am still waiting for that call back.

After emailing another copy of the policy, a letter was received that the "forced" policy was cancelled. Since their policy went into effect on 10/1/2020, my notice letter is dated 11/30/2020, and was removed 12/7/2020, I asked for a statement for amount(s), including interest that were removed. Instead, I receive an escrow account for the entire year of 2021 for the "forced" insurance. I did finally receive the first notice and am now giving them a "final notice" to fulfill my request. The property is worth at least 3 times what TCF holds. I am sure I can find another institution.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I’ve banked with TCF for 7 years and have dealt with the rudeness of their customer service reps and stupidity of branch managers. There is not even one good thing about this bank. Literally ANY other bank will be better than tcf. I tried closing an account for 2 years and ended up getting charged $10 for it being dormant. Then I was forced to drive to a tcf (3 round round trip) only to get told I can’t close my account without my original license. They have one file since I moved out of state. Seriously?? Why?? Now I have to go back AGAIN and now with my husband to try and close this account. Worst bank ever.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

After 22 years TCF during a pandemic decided that with no direct deposit due to layoffs, I should be charged 10 bucks to my account. What a blood sucking bank this is. Don't choose them for anything! So sad I did.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I have been very frustrated and dissatisfied with the merger. The online banking is horrible. Transactions that would normally appear online right away, don't. Then some transactions appear 'pending' and the next day are gone. I balance my checkbook daily and the current balance does not match what I have. For some I can tell why my balance is lower (a transaction recently made) however it's not reflected in the 'pending'. When balancing my book daily, the balance should match all pending & posted transactions, if they don't appear in pending, then my balance should not reflect them. I have been sooo frustrated and considering switching. I've been with TCF since 1990 when I was a teenager and started working. I did once call the customer service, they took down my comments but just said they're working on it. Seriously, this has gone on for months now.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

25 years of banking with TCF, with little if any problems....until this year. They merged with Chemical Bank, and it has become a nightmare. Deposits disappear and show up days later. Funds not available in a timely manner. ATM's down all the time. Customer service is based out of country....Very hard to understand reps. Excuses for all the problems....Very little communication with their customers. TCF has gone downhill, fast. I don't trust them, at all. I am now looking for a new bank....AVOID TCF BANK!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Banking with TCF 15 yrs. They don't take rolled coins, no notary public, use to be open 364 days a year. Now they closed all holidays and open about 50 hours a week. When you work 40 hrs and have to drive to your job. Not much time to get the bank. And now they closed my bank indefinitely. How's that for customer service?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

This company is super unethical. They pressured their employees to opt in their customers of overdraft protection so they can charge them fees. Their sales goals were unrealistic so people would open accounts for their family members and sign for them to meet checking goals. I don’t recommend banking at any TCF Bank.

TCF Bank Company Information