2. Finance

Wayzata, MN

3.5/5 (232 ratings)

About TCF Bank

TCF Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TCF Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TCF Bank?

Original review: March 30, 2021

TCF very poor on fraud. I had my debit card hacked. Call bank. Stated I had to wait till Monday, their system not working. Call police and made a report. Call company that took hacked card. Took 2 weeks before anything happens. Then took the money back out of my account. Said they sent a letter. No letter. Stay away from TCF.

Original review: March 20, 2021

The app is never accurate. This is the second time I went to sleep with money available so much that I transfer money out of my checking to my savings account! To wake up to 5 overdraft fees! I monitor my account regularly. Several times a day! The account was never in the negative on on my end!! They refused to give me my money back...made excuses and refused to take responsibility for the error on their part! There are time when I check and it says a certain amount, log back in later. It’s a different amount and does not add up! The math doesn’t make sense. Money is always missing out of my account and they can’t explain it. Do not bank with them, they steal your money! Class action lawsuit needed!!

Original review: March 4, 2021

Back on January 2nd TCF made a mistake and paid out an amount to a creditor I had asked not to make payments to anymore. The creditor changed up from what had been the standard withdrawal and made it a different amount and for more money. When I called to find out what and why had happened I was told they made a mistake and the money would be back in my account the next day. It wasn't so I called again and was told the same thing once again it wasn't so I called a 3rd time and told this time TCF was not going to refund my money even though it was their mistake. I filed the complaint and left it at that pissed off. I found out today that on 2/22 they refunded my money. Can complain can also acknowledge when they have righted their wrong. It took a while but they made good so kudos to TCF Bank. It has changed my opinion of them and I will be staying on with them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Legit haven't been able to view my account info for about 3 days, can't get anywhere with the call banking, only bank I've ever had that tries to stay out of contact with you, blame you for everything even though it happens on their end. Pick any other bank than this one. Going to go to pnc instead soon.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

TCF 'Customer Service' is miserable. First their website hides the number, then when you DO find it you are connected overseas where the agents talk entirely too quickly in broken English and that is only if you can hear them over the distortion from the connection. Inevitably their first line is to tell you to 'restart' or 'refresh' to handle the problem...anything beyond that they have to connect you to the next level tech, which means they put you on hold until you are forced to hang up (last call took me 20 minutes before I had to get on with my day). TCF has been the worst for a long time, their merger with Chemical Bank has only made them worse. Time to move to my credit union full time... am done with their garbage.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

TCF merged with Chemical Bank. They charged a fee to one of my two loans as an overdue bill. After complaining and them falsely blaming me for their error...They agreed to waive the fee. My other loan is being overcharged interest by at least $25 per month. When I complained “Teri” stated they will charge me more interest, $200 per month. She said she’d file a complaint for me and then I’d hear from them. I’ve heard nothing from them. They lie. So what should be $153 per month interest and the rest applied to principal is $179 in interest and nothing applied to principal. Their excuse was two fold, their system did not take out a payment, which is automatic and has been for years now. And they stopped taking out $200 per month automatically which was what happened pre merger in order to pay towards principal. The approx 50 extra per month was to be applied to principal.

Instead of correcting the problem they blamed it on me then said I owed more in interest not less. Then there is my savings account which cannot be accessed thru ATM but if I don’t deposit into it then they take money out. They’ve taken at least 40 if not 60 dollars out of my savings account. All of this during a pandemic. If there were negative five stars I’d give them negative five stars.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

If I could avoid giving any star rating, I would. When Chemical and TCF banks merged, my nightmare began. Having a home equity line of credit, all that is required is to make the minimum payments and provide a copy of homeowners policy. After the merger, I received a copy of the policy change that showed TCF on the policy; which means TCF received a copy as well. First I received a "Second and Final notice to provide proof of coverage" and, in response, a copy was mailed. Next, a letter of "forced" coverage levied upon the balance of the loan. I called the loan department and was placed on hold, after being asked for my phone number "In case we are disconnected and she could call back." I hung up after 15 minutes on hold and am still waiting for that call back.

After emailing another copy of the policy, a letter was received that the "forced" policy was cancelled. Since their policy went into effect on 10/1/2020, my notice letter is dated 11/30/2020, and was removed 12/7/2020, I asked for a statement for amount(s), including interest that were removed. Instead, I receive an escrow account for the entire year of 2021 for the "forced" insurance. I did finally receive the first notice and am now giving them a "final notice" to fulfill my request. The property is worth at least 3 times what TCF holds. I am sure I can find another institution.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I’ve banked with TCF for 7 years and have dealt with the rudeness of their customer service reps and stupidity of branch managers. There is not even one good thing about this bank. Literally ANY other bank will be better than tcf. I tried closing an account for 2 years and ended up getting charged $10 for it being dormant. Then I was forced to drive to a tcf (3 round round trip) only to get told I can’t close my account without my original license. They have one file since I moved out of state. Seriously?? Why?? Now I have to go back AGAIN and now with my husband to try and close this account. Worst bank ever.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

After 22 years TCF during a pandemic decided that with no direct deposit due to layoffs, I should be charged 10 bucks to my account. What a blood sucking bank this is. Don't choose them for anything! So sad I did.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I have been very frustrated and dissatisfied with the merger. The online banking is horrible. Transactions that would normally appear online right away, don't. Then some transactions appear 'pending' and the next day are gone. I balance my checkbook daily and the current balance does not match what I have. For some I can tell why my balance is lower (a transaction recently made) however it's not reflected in the 'pending'. When balancing my book daily, the balance should match all pending & posted transactions, if they don't appear in pending, then my balance should not reflect them. I have been sooo frustrated and considering switching. I've been with TCF since 1990 when I was a teenager and started working. I did once call the customer service, they took down my comments but just said they're working on it. Seriously, this has gone on for months now.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

25 years of banking with TCF, with little if any problems....until this year. They merged with Chemical Bank, and it has become a nightmare. Deposits disappear and show up days later. Funds not available in a timely manner. ATM's down all the time. Customer service is based out of country....Very hard to understand reps. Excuses for all the problems....Very little communication with their customers. TCF has gone downhill, fast. I don't trust them, at all. I am now looking for a new bank....AVOID TCF BANK!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Banking with TCF 15 yrs. They don't take rolled coins, no notary public, use to be open 364 days a year. Now they closed all holidays and open about 50 hours a week. When you work 40 hrs and have to drive to your job. Not much time to get the bank. And now they closed my bank indefinitely. How's that for customer service?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

This company is super unethical. They pressured their employees to opt in their customers of overdraft protection so they can charge them fees. Their sales goals were unrealistic so people would open accounts for their family members and sign for them to meet checking goals. I don’t recommend banking at any TCF Bank.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

At one time TCF was considered a nice, reliable hometown bank, and for 15 years that was my experience. About 3 years ago I began having occasional technical problems with accessing my account online, or downloading transactions into Quicken. I would contact customer service through their Facebook page to report the problem, and it was usually resolved fairly quickly.

These issues went from being infrequent to occurring once a month or so - usually after the bank's online maintenance. I would still report it on Facebook, however, what used to get resolved quickly would now sometimes take days to get resolved. This past year, after TCF merged with Chemical Bank things took a decided turn for the worst.

There was one weekend where I was not able to access my account at all. The bank provided no explanation at all for the problem, nor when they expected to solve it. When it finally came back online, I noticed that several transactions had been posted with incorrect dates. It also would no longer sync with Quicken and I ended up having to drop the Quicken account and recreate, which resulted in losing roughly 2 years of transaction data.

At this point, I decided that enough was enough and began going through the slow and painful process of moving my money and online billing accounts to another bank. I now have whittled my TCF balance down to $33 from a one time balance of around $25K. That's when TCF/Chemical Bank began hitting me with a monthly $10 "analysis fee."

I called customer service and asked to close out the account. I was told I couldn't do that over the phone and that I would have to drive to a local branch, which is 30 miles away. I told the rep that wasn't a good option. He then said I could also do it through the mail, but I would have to have my letter notarized (not an easy or inexpensive option in the small town where I live). He also didn't provide an address to send the letter to. So what was once a nice hometown bank has turned into a place that is unreliable, unfriendly, convoluted, and now also seems intent on sucking every last little fee out of its customers. It's very unfortunate.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I went to check my account and my checking account disappeared and so did my money in my savings account. I am on Social Security Disability and need what little money I have. My SS check is deposited to my checking account which is no longer showing. I am so upset and will be changing banks ASAP.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I have been on phone trying to get ahold of someone. For over 2 hours put on hold. There is no local phone number to call this bank. Inly a 1 800 number which is all automated. Wouldn’t you think a bank would have phone numbers locally to be able to speak to a person. I am totally flustered. I will have to go to bank tomorrow myself to speak to someone. Very poor customer service. Do not recommend this bank.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Our investment club just lost 2.3% of our available balance, due to something called "Less Average Float". Can someone explain this? It's bad enough TCF charges $3.00 for paper (and we know this is just about pure profit). The statement is undecipherable -- Average Negative/Positive Collected Balance; Positive Collected Balance; Less Non-Earnings Balance; Investable Balance and the final Excess (Deficit) Balance. And we lost $8.33 to something called float -- it's like they took the money from us (free $$$ to them).

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

If you value customer service and easy to use tools, do not pick this company. It is extremely difficult to get through to any services and their Command Line protection services give customers different answers every time. I've been transferred multiple times and then hung up on multiple times before even speaking to someone. There is no way to escalate or email. Even before COVID, wait times were long, but now are running "greater than 60 minutes". I was on hold for 60 minutes and then asked to speak to a representative and it said "we seem to be having trouble hearing you, goodbye".

There are so many extra charges on our account and errors that make no sense, but no one can explain it. It is nearly impossible to make a payment to the mortgage company unless you read the fine print available in a buried menu after a Google search. I rarely write reviews, especially negative reviews, but this company is behind the times and is completely inconsiderate of their customers.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I live in AZ and my TCF branch was sold to Alaska Fed'l Credit Union. TCF did not inform its Arizona customers that their on-line access to their TCF account would be terminated when the Alaska Fed'l CU sale was finalized. It's been several years since I utilized paper statements, so I had not printed any of my TCF Bank checking account statements and now no longer have on-line access to my former TCF account since TCF "closed" my account when the change over to Alaska Fed'l CU occurred.

I need to provide bank statements on another matter and when I phoned TCF to request my prior bank statements, the first time I was on hold for 32 minutes, then was "disconnected" by TCF. The second time, I called, I held for 25 minutes and was transferred to someone else and then it took another 23 minutes to get TCF to agree to send bank statements to me. They also first told me that they would charge me $85 to send bank statements.... on an account they disconnected my on-line access to.

They ultimately "waived" the bank statement fee, but will only send the statements by regular mail and the process is estimated to take a "couple of weeks". If you need bank statements from TCF and had an account that was sold to Alaska Fed'l Credit Union, you need to allow a couple of hours on the phone to request, then another couple of weeks to receive the statements. Truly a sad way to treat a consumer, particularly in the digital age. They also have absolutely zero contact information for e-mailing or even regular mailing a consumer concern, so I'll be utilizing on-line review forums to express my concerns.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

Ever since TCF completed their merger I've had issues being able to see my balance, posted and pending transactions. I log in successfully and there's no notes of site being down for whatever reason. Clearly logged in but nothing that shows account activities. This is pause for great concern as it's happened too many times since merger. Thinking of transferring banks. Wait time to call customer service is not acceptable either. Don't need this type of stress..

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

On September 16th I received my payment from my employer. That's when I noticed two purchases made that totaled $126.98 on Sept. 15th that I didn't make. As I looked further, three more purchases were made on Sept. 16th totaling $229.97. So a total of $356.95 was taken out of my account fraudulently. In the descriptions there were websites given with Chinese names. Clue #1, right? I immediately called TCF on Sept. 16th to report it. I was told it would take 5-10 business days to investigate and to watch my mail for a letter telling me of their findings - basically if they find in my favor or not and when the money will be deposited back into my account IF they rule in my favor. In the meantime I was issued another bank card and the old one shut down.

Today is the 9th day and still nothing. No money back in my account, no letter from TCF. I called them this morning, and after being on hold for 25 minutes I finally got a customer service rep with a heavy accent that I kept asking (respectfully) to repeat what he said. He put me on hold for 10 minutes while he looked into the status of my fraud claim only to come back on the line to say "It's still under investigation, ma'am. Keep looking for the letter in the mail." I wasted 35 minutes of my time just to hear that?? So I reiterate that I have no clue what these purchases were for or who made them and that I don't have almost $400 to just lose so I need more answers than that.

I asked to speak to a manager and it took another 10 minutes before she got on the line to tell me that sometimes these investigations take longer and the letter will explain if they need more time, if they need more information from me, or if they ruled for or against me and when the money will be deposited into my account IF they rule in my favor. I am beyond pissed and frustrated with this robotic scripted response that they give their customers. No matter the outcome I'm looking for another bank. I've been with TCF for over 10 years. This merger has created more problems than I'm willing to deal with. There is NO PROTECTION for your money anymore.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

We've had a business account at TCF for 9 years and have had no complaints until now. I understand that in this merger the TCF name was kept but the system was changed. My first issue is I hate the new statement format but I also hate change so I assume I'll get used to it. My second issue is lack of knowledge with the employees-when I called trying to get an August statement as the one I was getting online was Aug 9-Aug 30th-they told me they'd mail me one and it would be the format I was used to. After not getting it I called again and this time it was explained that the actual switchover completed 8/10 or so and therefore I will have a statement from 8/1-8/7 and a statement for 8/9-8/30 and the old format is gone.

Third issue-my husband and I each have business debit cards on the account and his expires Sept 20 and mine expires Oct 20. After 3 tries and being on hold for a long time each time and being told they would mail him a pin and if never happened he turned it over to me. I spent at least 45 minutes on numerous calls and the first go around the gal said she'd get me to someone who could help me and she would stay on the line to get us started-she was disconnected as she called and left me a message telling me that. The guy I got was very helpful and I thought I was on the road as he said there was an issue with PINS and he was calling OPS....while on hold I was disconnect. When I called back I immediately asked the guy (after being on hold 20+minutes) if he could help with my problem-before he could answer I was disconnected.

NOW...I go to a branch bank where I spent 45 minutes or so trying to get a new card for me (my husband will have to show up himself to reset his pin). They printed a card, I set my pin and then they sent me to the ATM to try it....ATM wouldn't accept my pin. Went back and she spent another 20 minutes or so trying to get a 2nd card and finally told me she'd have to have cards and pins sent to us.

After reading other reviews I'm nervous about what else can happen as we pay taxes electronically from the account and we have numerous customers who pay us electronically. If it wasn't for these things I'd probably switch banks. Hope they get it together but if you're thinking about opening an account there right now I'd probably wait.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

6 weeks ago I called TCF to ask why they have removed the credit line on my HELOC despite that fact we have been paying considerably more than the minimum payment and we have a huge amount of equity in our property. Was on hold for THREE HOURS whilst I waited to talk to someone, and then when I did they knew nothing about the HELOC product and promised to have someone call me back to discuss. No one has ever called me back. Tired of waiting for a callback. I emailed them... 3 Times... Still NO RESPONSE.

What is the point of have a Home Equity Line Of Credit account, with its inflated interest rate, when the Equity Line Of Credit has been removed. Not only was the ELOC removed it was done so without notice and without reason. Our credit rating is in the 800’s. Thankfully we’re still working through the pandemic and are lucky enough to have jobs that pay very well. We are as low a risk to any lender that can be. We are also lucky enough to be able to just pay this off in full and look for products from other banks. Which we will now do. If this is the way they treat us, I cannot fathom how they’re treating those who may not have it so good at the moment and really need to rely on their HELOC to get them through these tough times. In summary: AVOID.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I check my account daily sometimes a few times a day. I looked before I bought this last night. Had enough for it. I woke up this morning to see 5 overdrafts. I'm unsure how that happened because it still says I had enough in my account. This isn't the first time this has happened. I'm very unhappy with this bank and would tell everyone to find a new bank. I've been with Chemical Bank that switched to TCF Bank and never had a problem ever. I'm closing my account and making sure everyone knows what they are about. It's a bad place to bank!!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

This bank has gone through a merger or acquisition and there is no way to either talk to a live person or to email them about issues or questions directly. Then when you cannot get your issue resolved they send you a late payment notice. What does it take to talk to a live person. You call and the recorded message now at least tells you it will be over 60 minutes...Who has that kind of time?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

I need to pay my mortgage and no one answered the phone after a 6 hour challenge in the queue. The bank merge apparently resulted in an account number change and I was not notified. At this time, I still have not paid and I cannot reach customer service. I can't pay online because MY ACCOUNT NUMBER HAS CHANGED without any notification. I always pay on time and now I cannot. So frustrating and demoralizing. Anyone got a number that works?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

My experience with TCF has been atrocious. Getting into their payment center has always been a challenge and recently it's been deliberately impossible. I had an auto-pay set-up on my loan and they decided to quietly cancel it and then say that I was "past due" on (wait for it)....$7.68. Yep. So I couldn't login to check the payment because all of a sudden the account and note info they gave me was "incorrect" (it's not, the system is just programmed to reject you - I know because when I finally got through to customer service it worked), no one would respond to my email queries and then BOOM they cancelled my payment without telling me to ensure I would have a "late" payment. Can someone close this organization down?? I don't see how this is legal. After waiting a LONG time I finally got through to a harried customer service agent who allowed me to pay off that whopper of a balance so I can wash my hands of them.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

My brother was a TCF customer when he died 2 and a half years ago. Every month, despite having gone into the bank with the death certificate to close all accounts; and being told 3 times it was taken care of, my mother has received statements of small finance charges being taken from the 45 dollars they wouldn't allow her to withdrawal from the account. It is now an overdrawn amount for a dead man. No amount of calling or going into any of their centers has corrected any of these issues. Ridiculous excuse for a banking institution.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

TCF merged with or bought Chemical bank which holds my mortgage. I have had nothing but trouble ever since! I have been making additional payments to principal on my house. Even when doing transactions with TCF staff they are misappropriating the funds and putting the money towards my regular payment. This is ongoing for 4 months and numerous calls to both 1-800 number and bank branch do not resolve the problem. I am trying to get online access to TCF and even this simple thing is being a huge headache! The system keeps texting the needed verification code to my land line. EVERY time I call customer service the wait time to speak to someone is in excess of 60 minutes. And the problems do not get resolved. RUN... don’t walk to any other bank in the world but don’t use TCF. I wish I had a choice but I am stuck with them. Plan to call an attorney soon as they keep misappropriating my money.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

9/04/2020 at 4:15 pm PST. I have called 4 days in the last 7 and have been unable to get through as the line is either busy, or after waiting for quite some time, the line goes dead. Today, after waiting on hold for over 60 minutes, a male customer service rep who did not identify himself, seemed skeptical that I was unable to login to my account and walked me through the rudimentary steps of 'forgot my password' and so on which I had previously tried. After determining that this was not working, he simply hung up on me. (I'm very careful to not be rude.) I have not received a statement in the past month and I need to see the status of the account. Craig R. Dahl is PRESIDENT AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER.

TCF Bank Company Information