2. Finance

Wayzata, MN

3.5/5 (266 ratings)

About TCF Bank

TCF Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TCF Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TCF Bank?

Original review: July 27, 2021

Someone made fraudulent charges on my account so of course I called to deactivate my card so that I can receive a new one. They made me reach out to the company itself since I've done business with them in the past. The lady asked if I wanted to have my new debit card sent to me. I told her I would rather pick up a new one at a branch.. I waited until Monday because of course they are closed on Sundays and when I get there the guy told me that they no longer print out cards at the branch and this has been a rule since February 2021. Why was customers service not aware of this?

So not only did I waste my time and energy going there I had to pay an expedite fee of $35 just so I can receive it in 5 days oppose to 7 to 10 business days which isn't much of a difference. I definitely will be transferring my funds to another bank after all this is said and done. Tcf bank is trash. This company is dealing with people money and ultimately livelihoods and they are creating dumb rules like other banks don't exist and if people can't do better. I've been with them for 15 years and this is how they repay their loyal clientele. NO thanks.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I reserved my 17-night stay (June 28, 2021-July 15, 2021) with a third party Orbitz.com as I have used this vendor before. I prepaid June 28, 2021 ($1248.65) at 1pm online on orbitz.com for check in on June 28, 2021, any time after 3pm. I arrive at mainstay suites in Hoffman estates IL a little bit after 4pm and the gentleman’s name Dan who was at the counter and introduce himself as the manager. I gave him my itinerary# and he ask to see a photo ID and card that I used to pay I inform Dan that I have already paid. He ensured me that he needed to swipe my card as a reference and nothing will be charged on it. Lies, lies, lies. My card was charged $433.02. I received a notification from my bank.

I went back to the front desk and asked the same gentleman why my card was charged. He was lost for words and could not explain the charge however he informed me that it's not a charge and the money will be put back into my account. TCF Bank has got was not able to rectify the matter and retrieve my funds to me. I will not be banking with these clowns anymore while they run their circus of bogus transaction allowing vendors to steal from you.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 4, 2021

In 2020, TCF merged with another company. During a pandemic, with no direction for what would happen next. I logged in to make our monthly payment on our second, which has never been paid late, and my log is would not “authenticate.” Tried resetting password. Denied. Tried entering account number, email, first born child. Denied. Got on the phone and was on hold for more than 2 hours, before being disconnected. Finally got through to someone, after multiple attempts, when the grace period had passed, had to pay late fees, had a hold put on our ability to access HELOC for 6 months, infuriating! And they knew this problem was happening to many people and took no responsibility.

Fast forward exactly a year later and they just changed hands and the SAME THING is happening right now. Spoke to a charming man in the Philippines who said he would just take my payment by phone. Gave him routing and account number and he tells me my routing number is no good. IT’S MY ROUTING NUMBER!!! To add the final insult, he told me to have my husband call and try to make payment before the 10 day grace period ended. Now it’s ended and I have not been able to make a payment. The only company I have had a worse experience with is AT&T, so consider that. Will be contacting the Consumer Protection department next.

Original review: July 1, 2021

About every 3 months they will find a way to charge you overdraft fees, even when your balance never dropped below $600. Just changed banks, after 2 years I've lost about $1,000 in fraudulent fees from this 'Bank'. FYI they are NOT accredited by the Better Business Bureau. There's your first red flag. Seriously I've dealt with some banks with sketchy practices. TCF Takes the Cake though. I have never experienced anything like this. How they are still in operation I'll never know.

Original review: April 14, 2021

The merger between TCF and Chemical bank has not been the easiest for customers including the suspension of automatic payments. This required setting up new account withdraws in a very unfriendly system. Over the course of the last 9 months there has been issues every month which has required notices and calls, and after each call being told things were set/good moving forward, just to have the same issues happen over and over again.

Today, I received a call from a very rude customer service rep who was so disrespectful to a level I've never encountered before. The issues were caused by their merger and you would think there would be an understanding of my frustrations of needing to review things for the 6th time. Instead, I was talked over, accused of saying things never said, and a continued threat of "hanging up" because I wasn't "getting it". Just an awful experience. I certainly hope the call was recorded and a supervisor gets a chance to hear how this individual treats their long standing customers.

Original review: April 13, 2021

I had someone fraudulently access $400 on my debit card. I called TCF Bank the next day of me noticing the fraud. I filed a complaint, I canceled my debit card, filed a police report and got a new debit card. Later that day I got a call & text from the fraudsters threatening me. I reported this to the bank. A few days later, they denied my fraud claim. I am pulling all my business from TCF and want everyone to know to NEVER TRUST TCF. Stay AWAY.

Original review: April 13, 2021

My husband has been burned twice now by relying on their app. As other users have stated, it is not kept up to date. You can check it every day (as he does) and see a positive balance... Then, without warning, multiple overdraft fees will appear on one day. My husband just spent the better part of an hour on the phone with a woman who sounded like she was on another part of the planet and it was like dealing with a robot. She did not have any empathy for the situation and did not resolve it. I do not recommend TCF Bank.

Original review: April 9, 2021

About a month ago I had a couple transactions go through my account that I didn't recognize totaling $183.90 so I called the numbers that were on my statement from the bank. Neither one of them had any recollection of why the money was taken out of my account. So I called my bank and filed a dispute. About 30 days later they refunded my money. Then about a week later they took the money back. They sent me a statement saying I was liable for the money that was taken out of my account with phone numbers to call the people who had took the funds.

So I called them and they said yes I did have an account with them and that I was liable for the funds and the account had been closed and was out of their hands and had to deal with the bank. I tried googling the name of the company that's in California and nothing came up. I could not find no information on them anywhere. It was supposed to be a free trial for some vitamins. The shipping and handling was $5.95 each.

The bank tells me that the companies tried contacting me several times with no response so that makes me liable for the additional $183.90. So basically it's my word against theirs. It looks like the bank is siding with them even though I can't find no information on them besides the phone number the Bank sent me and I called them. Is this how you deal with customers and consumers? I will be closing my account at TCF Bank. I have had things happen like this with Chase Bank and they always have my back. Well I'm out almost $200 and nobody really cares. This is what society has come to treat people with small bank accounts like this. If I was rich either I wouldn't care or I would call my attorney and have the money put back. But I don't have this luxury. I'm a self-employed person for 20 years. What do you do? Just one other people about places like TCF Bank. I Don't Care about Us. All they care about is their money!?

Original review: March 30, 2021

TCF very poor on fraud. I had my debit card hacked. Call bank. Stated I had to wait till Monday, their system not working. Call police and made a report. Call company that took hacked card. Took 2 weeks before anything happens. Then took the money back out of my account. Said they sent a letter. No letter. Stay away from TCF.

Original review: March 20, 2021

The app is never accurate. This is the second time I went to sleep with money available so much that I transfer money out of my checking to my savings account! To wake up to 5 overdraft fees! I monitor my account regularly. Several times a day! The account was never in the negative on on my end!! They refused to give me my money back...made excuses and refused to take responsibility for the error on their part! There are time when I check and it says a certain amount, log back in later. It’s a different amount and does not add up! The math doesn’t make sense. Money is always missing out of my account and they can’t explain it. Do not bank with them, they steal your money! Class action lawsuit needed!!

TCF Bank Company Information