1.14/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

TCF Bank

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 18, 2017

260 TCF Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Worst bank ever! Just found out I had something on ChexSystems after pulling all reports and lo and behold it was TCF Bank 2 times! They should be shut down after my 1st experience with their constant balances being incorrect. Holding my deposits for days and telling me my money was there but it didn't show online. After purchases I was hit with numerous fees and then magically my deposit went through and I was in the whole hundreds! This occurred on a regular basis. Then supposedly I opened another account and I owe almost 200.00? Then reported me to ChexSystems and now I can't open a damn bank account. I rather chew off my right hand then let them get another penny from me! I have written letters... we will see where it gets me but I'm not an idiot and have already retained legal counsel. I'm ready to sue.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I agree with everyone else that said their new digital banking system is designed to make you pay overdraft fees because what happened to me recently never happened to me on their old system and this new system is so cumbersome and makes it’s so hard for you to keep track of your transactions. I made sure to always check my account on a daily basis because I find out I don't get debited immediately for some purchases I make and the only way to prevent having overdraft is to check daily so I can make sure there's enough money in the account when its debited but the only day I didn't check my account is when I got an overdraft fees for a $7 purchase.

And as soon as I realized this I went to the bank, sadly the guy at the counter said he couldn't do anything about it and told me to call customer service, well I did and the only help I received was a lecture on how to avoid overdraft fees in the future but there's nothing he could do about this one. I have kept all my accounts with this bank and to be treated like this is absolutely unacceptable to me and I am definitely considering closing all my accounts with TCF Bank. Even my husband has been complaining about the new digital banking system they forced everyone on and he's getting confused lately with the activities on his account. I hope TCF knows that "it’s easier to keep existing customers than to find new ones".

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I will be suing TCF bank over these fees for not having over $100 in your account. These fees, and all other fees are conversion or theft. Banks in this country are all about stealing from people, and we should not be doing business with them, other than suing them. I asked for the fee to be waved as I closed the account, and he said no. So... see you in court.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

TCF new system is terrible!!! TCF shut down the old system and pushed customer to use the new one, but the new system does not work!!! I have a business account with TCF and cannot log in. TCF also deactivated my business card and never sent any letter to inform about that!!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

This bank just sent a notice of account closure without any explanation. After hours on the phone with numerous clerks no one in the organization could give me a real reason for the account closure. Clerks were very rude and unknowledgeable. They refuse to connect me to the branch manager. I have been banking with various banks for years and have never had such a rude and unprofessional experience. I highly advise not to do any business with them. Would not be surprised if they close down very soon. I am a caregiver, have my payroll going through this bank account, and have no other suspicious activity or transactions. Stay away from this bank, as it is their practice to cause you major inconvenience without any warning or explanation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TCF Bank?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Their new site is just terrible, before this past Saturday 9/16/2017 their site didnt show an accurate running balance so get ready for some overdraft fees. Why would they have it like this?!? Are they trying to get people to make mistakes. Their CS could only remove one of mine and refused to remove the other. Looks like I'll be looking for a new bank now. You lost a customer over $37.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

We sold a home we had a HELOC on with TCF and paid the HELOC loan off in full. 90 days later we still do not have a refund check for a payment made in the same month of the sale. They actually sent a check once, to the house we sold, which is a rental property and which we had been on their records for 10 years with a billing address of our Colorado address. STUPID! Then last week they were going to send a new check overnight that day, we were told. WRONG. One week later they still haven't even issued the check! And nobody knows why and nobody is calling back. Our next move is to report this to the Michigan Attorney General.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

TCF has the HIGHEST fees from all banks in my area (Michigan). And they will charge for everything, from using your debit card to pay at the store, to even transferring funds electronically (online) from checking to savings! I called and asked why they charge to move $1000 from checking to savings, and they cannot explain why. I guess is just they wanted to charge me for something. No reason or explanation needed. Also, their new digital banking is causing all kinds of duplicate transactions with my financial software. Talking to Intuit (Quickbooks and Quicken software), apparently they have very many TCF users complaining of the same issue.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I have spent the entire Labor Day weekend trying to help my elderly mother log into and create a Digital Bank account with TCF bank. I have tried to retrieve her account so that she can review her bank transactions since the month of June 2017, with no success. I along with my mom spent hours on the telephone with multiple TCF representatives giving us the same instructions to reset her password in order to log onto her checking account. After the password was created and then entered, the system and she is still unable to log onto her account. A representative instructed me to take my mom to a local branch of TCF to get a new password for her digital banking account.

Mom and I went into a local branch office and the bank representative was unable to log onto my mom's account or to reset her account. Mom was told once again to wait for a link to be emailed to her so that she can reset her account. It has been 24 hours and no link has arrived by email yet. I contacted the local TCF branch that we visited on yesterday and was told that another link would be emailed within a couple of hours. It has been a couple of hours and the link still not has arrived. I have spent over an hour today, trying to access her online account with her and trying to enroll her in digital banking with no success. I have an advanced degree and cannot help my mom to access her account. My elderly mother is beyond upset that she is unable to access her account online to monitor her transactions. My mom was informed that if she continues to receive a paper statement of her bank transactions she will be charged a monthly fee.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

On two separate occasions I have had a need to contact the customer service department. On both occasions I was on extremely extended holds exceeding 30 to 45 minutes. I went to a branch today at around 12:15 p.m. and was shocked to see that there were only two tellers in the branch which is ridiculous as Social Security checks are typically issued right around today's date. Even if checks aren't issued with today's date again there's insufficient staff specifically at lunch time. I left the branch not having completed my transaction because of the shortage. I have found on several occasions both in the branches as well as on the phone they are not staffed properly. This will probably be a contributing factor to me probably leaving TCF Bank. Promotions do not make up for the time one has to wait to speak with a person either face-to-face or over the phone.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I have had purchases made on my debit card on several different occasions and the bank notified me immediately to see if it was me. They immediately cancelled the card and took care of everything. They are much more effective than LifeLock who I had at the same time and never alerted me once.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

TCF Bank has made it mandatory for customers to switch to their new system. Seven days ago I made this change for my Business accounts and several other personal accounts. TCF HAS NOT PERFECTED this change over. My accounts are not linked and I CANNOT see any transactions. As a business owner, I need to do things like PAYROLL, STATE TAXES and VENDOR PAYMENTS. I have called four different days and keep getting the same answer. We are sorry and this should take up to THREE business days to correct the problem. This is day 6. Payday was Saturday, State Taxes are due Today. The best TCF can do for me is to have me go to a branch and they can run a manual transaction report. Did I mention that I am a Small Business? I do not have time or staff for me to leave and go to the bank. This is SAD. I am disappointed in this change over. I have been a TCF customer for over 20 years.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Starting from the year 2011, I've had many issues with TCF Bank, and they're costly overdraft fees. I was told I could not opt out from this service, and have tried to close my account on many occasions. This bank preys the most on college students, and is not clear even on paper on how they operate to constantly take money directly from college kid's bank account. They also prey on those that reply on SSI and/or SSA to survive. They target them as a part of their first set of victims to "balance the books". Customer service is extremely unhelpful, and even the loyal consumers they've had for years still receive no benefit, nor announcement of when their actual "cutoff" time is per day to even give their clients the opportunity to fix this to avoid yet another fee.

This bank does a great job at keeping their consumers in the dark about any, and all new policies they seem fit to impose on their customers. The university I use to attend has even cut ties dealing with this bank about a year ago. Something must be done to keep this financial institution from further taking advantage of its customers. It truly makes sense to have the name TCF Bank, as it seems to hold the title of "Thieves, Criminals, and Thugs Bank" as an appropriate description of their reputation.

I recently about a month ago closed my checking account with TCF Bank in person, and got involved with another, including setting up a new checking account with my new current bank. However, I learned a month after “closing” the TCF Bank account, I discovered that TCF Bank never in fact closed my account, and there was money sitting in it. If I would have never randomly out of the blue decided to check that old account online I would have never known. I was told they don’t need to inform a customer of a situation like this. Due to this mistake, I was charged overdraft fees by my new bank due to the old account not being closed leaving that money to be able to enter the new account. Yes, I called and went in person for both banks, and also spoke to my employer and direct deposit.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

After reading a number of reviews I have seen no mention of the latest TCF pitfall their migration to their new TCF Bank New Digital Banking online system. Because of how much TCF changed the online experience and even worse; a cardinal rule - never, NEVER failed to migrate over someone's history. Never, NEVER give them something and then take it away. HORRIBLE IDEA. On the previous TCF Bank online system was simple to use and I had all my payee setup (no different from today or I'm sure other banks) but the configuration stored all of my historical e-bills for all my payees (all utilities, credit cards, etc.).

But when TCF migrated to their new Digital Banking online platform they FAILED to bring over all of the historical payee e-bills. Which I use to reference all historical payee bills to compare current bills. And once a new payee bill was received it would auto-populate the payee amount when I wanted to pay the new received bill. I didn't have to spend any effort looking at the PDF of the bills or guess the amount to pay. Loved that feature and both are gone with their new Digital platform. Well I might as well just start over with a new online banking experience since it appears TCF didn't want to keep my history which there now history. Honestly I was as a long-time satisfied customer for over 15+ yrs and once they botched the migration to the new system - I'm gone. Might was since all my payee and payee history is gone - time to start over. Thanks TCF.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I've been using TCF online for yrs and they've decided to change thing for the worse. I have bank accounts at other banks and they all seem pretty similar. TCF has decided to come out with a new system that must have been written by a child that's never had a banking account. It's always bothered me that you need to keep a running tally in your head or on a separate piece of paper while you are paying your bills because instead of telling you what's remaining in the account you're drawing your outgoing payments from, it's telling you the amount of the payments AFTER you've made them.

The new system has rectified that, it only allows you to pay your bills 1 at a time, you need to wait while it loads between each payment and then not only does it not keep a tally at all it give you no indication whatsoever as to which bills you've paid and which haven't been paid. So hopefully when you sit down to pay 10 bills you have 10-15 uninterrupted minutes because instead of just clicking on 10 boxes like before and paying your bills in 20 sec you now need to pay close attention and there's no way to start over if you don't remember exactly where you left off.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Wow I wish I had came here before opening account at TCF Bank. Where do I start; complaint. No1, this bank main source of income is overdraft fees, which they numerous ways of getting it out of you. One of the many of their tactics is pretending to cover a charge and then later you find out that they really never paid it. So then they credit it back to your account and now they can charge you a NSF fee $37, for nothing. So I spoke to a so called supervisor who told that their so called opt in clause, you know line of ** they give you that suppose to cover charges in case of overdraft plus the fee mind you. So you agree to that opt in, sounds good right. Until you find out that they really don't pay the charge even if you are over by 3 cents. But they do get the fee for not covering the charge. She told, "Oh it's not a guarantee that we cover." So I said, "Isn't that a bait and switch?"

I have had nothing but one bad experience after another. They hold your account processing up until they can figure out how to rob you. By delaying processing time, you can't accurately access your balance, so that means that someone is in a back room looking over your account with a fine tooth comb trying to see how they can manipulate your account and steal your money. Straight up crooks, please stay away, I'm doomed.

Original review: July 3, 2017

This bank does everything they can to get your money and hold on to it. I opened an account through the University of Minnesota when I started there as a graduate student, thinking it would be convenient. It wasn't. From poor online services to lack of ATMs, this bank makes everything a hassle. I closed the account a few months later and moved to a credit union, pleased to be finished doing business with them.

At the end of the academic year, I received two lump sum payments for my summer salary to cover me while I did field work in Africa. I waited and waited for the first payment and couldn't figure out why I hadn't received it. Finally tracked down help in Accounting and they told me the money had been deposited to my closed TCF account incorrectly. Rather than reject the deposit as any logical entity would, TCF Bank had reopened the account without my consent to take the deposit.

So I went to a branch, made them give me the funds, and reclose the account with instructions NOT to accept any further deposits on my behalf. I also told UMN which account to use, but somehow they sent the second, larger payment to the wrong one again, and guess what... TCF Bank not only accepted it but blocked my online access to it! So here I sit in Africa without any way to access my summer salary until I return. Strongly advise against using this bank.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I will make my story short and straight to the point. If you want to save some money stay away from TCF BANK. This bank is manipulating the transactions that you made to push your account into overdraft. They will put/prioritize the big transactions first even though it's just been transact and leave the small transactions that has been there for 4 days. When I called them to complain about it, their answer is they can't control that because it is the merchants call when are they going to take their money. So long story short if you're trying to balance your money you have to wait 4 days before doing another transaction. So if you're broke and live paycheck per month please stay away from this bank. You're going to save a lot of money and stress. And by the way, I wish there is some sort of committee that investigate this or do some experiment about this case and I am very happy to join and share everything what I have. Thanks and have a good day.

Original review: April 3, 2017

My girlfriend ordered some face cream for $5. It was supposedly a sample. But hidden layers into the internet ad, was a hook saying that if you didn't return the cream you would be billed for $195. Our account got billed for the $195 and TCF would not give us our money back. I applied to their consumer fraud department twice and even talked to the store manager on Robert Street TCF. This despite there being tens of thousands of people ripped off by this face cream company on the internet. Then my account had about $700 taken out of it over three withdrawals from somewhere in Africa. I missed these, my mistake I know, but you would think they would have some safeguards in place to catch this sort of fraud?? Like credit cards do?? I went to them about 6 months later and they told me, "Too late, and too bad".

I left their bank immediately never to return. And I deposited upwards of $160,000 per year into their bank, just from my credit card receipts from my moving business. They lost a lot of business. I now bank with a credit union, have a new car loan and will be buying a house soon. Too Bad TCF is run by such low life idiots. They deserve to fail. They also charge $30 to cash a $1200 check, drawn from their bank. They are crooks and slimeballs of the worst order. And yes they do process the most expensive overdrafts first. My girlfriend still banks there and she had this very same problem a couple of weeks ago. They actually gave in that time, as I told them that the practice was essentially illegal, outlawed by the Dodd Frank Act. At least I think it was outlawed. I swear I read that somewhere. Anyway, I do hate TCF with a passion!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I've re-fi'd a few times, I even re-fi'd with TCF a few years back. It never too much more than a month. 3+ months? Ridiculous. The only reason we didn't go some place else to re-fi was because we'd already given them $500 for the appraiser, and they weren't about to refund the money. I did close my checking and savings accounts with them. Too bad. I've been a customer since 1966. It used to be a great bank. Wish I didn't have this new loan with them. Another issue: I heard from a former TCF employee that if a customer has numerous checks to be posted to their checking account their system is set up to post the largest checks first, in descending order of the check amount, in order to maximize their NSF fees. Scumbags.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I am done with this POS bank. All the do is rape you with overdraft fees. I haven't used my card is over a week but am negative almost 200 bucks. I cannot afford to pay you MF's all my money every month. I'm done. I'm getting my last check out and closing my account. Worst bank I have ever had. ** you TCF.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I've been sitting in the lobby area for approximately 30 min now. Signed in their so call help log. Been waiting for more than 30 min now. There's no customer care associate at none of their desk and only two bank tellers in the front. Ten min after I got here when there were no customers, one of the tellers looked at me and I guess ignored me. I'm about to get the ** out of this piece of ** now. Please don't ever ever come here if you have an account with TCF bank.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

Paid my 1st payment on time. They sent me a late notice stating they never received my payment. So I paid it again. Dropped course as I no longer need it- They are still demanding money and stating It's past due when I NO LONGER ATTEND the course and the bank HAS BEEN NOTIFIED. They are stating my account is past due when last month I paid 4x the amount owed!! IF you talk to CSR- They are complete **. GET A LOAN ELSEWHERE!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

I have banked with TCF for about 4 years now and they were my first bank account ever. Up until this past year everything was fine but in the past year alone I have been sent 4 new debit cards because of fraudulent activity. The most recent one was a charge of $110 from Chegg, which I knew nothing about. They found it to be not my fault and reimbursed me. The next day Chegg made deposits onto my account, which I had not authorized being as I still didn't know what it was. I went to TCF to ask how this was possible and they told me not to worry about. Fast forward two months and I went to use my card to find out I had a balance of - $169 because TCF had withdrawn $220 without telling me (I had my account set so I could not go negative). Needless to say they put way too much money in and never corrected their mistake even when I went in to ask about it.

After that, the balance on my account just keeps changing. I get emails when my balance is below $15 and that morning I had an email saying I had $8 in the account. I didn't deposit any money and the next day I didn't get an email and when I looked I had $16. I have no idea where it came from and it took them a week to correct it. Since then I've been trying to keep minimal in that account and just transfer money from my savings account. Needless to say they never told me about the federal regulation of charging $15 for every transfer over 6 in a statement period. I have no trust for them when it comes to my checking account. I'm definitely closing all of my accounts with them ASAP.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

Most inconvenient bank ever. As a business owner I have many bank accounts for my business, personal, mortgage, auto loan, and etc. I recently got a HELOC account from TCF and realized that I am back in the late 1990 in terms of banking experience. When I send a payment from Chase bank to TCF, the bank transfer doesn't even work and it requires Chase to send a check to this account which takes over 5 days. All auto pay services I have setup with TCF is failing with balance still over 100k. There is no email support or any kind of online support provided for mortgage clients. The only thing that seems to work at this moment is by using the check they provided and... they send you a small number of check at a time. If you mismanage the supplies, there is a good chance that you will miss some important due date.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

Well I've been with TCF Bank for 3 plus years now. Never had an issue with them at all. I've deposited and keep a balance in my accounts. What pissed me off about TCF is they keep accepting charges even though I didn't have enough funds in my account. The charges that I had made prior to this fiasco happening didn't post so now being 80 short cost me 200 plus dollars in NSF fees. What really pissed me off is that I didn't sign up for this type of account and never would have. So now I'm in the hole 400 dollars and counting as everything prior to this transaction is bouncing and TCF is raking in 37 dollars in NSF Fees. They are no different than any other bank they are more about the money than you are about the customers. Piss off TCF.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

Deposited $800 3 days ago by certified check and have 3 electronic transfers for at least $600 that they have had for days and still aren't crediting as available funds. Meanwhile they put storage unit and other charges on the account showing negative balance and overdraft fees when there should be over $1000 in the account. They also put the biggest charges through first (even if they were last to be made) so that any other charge, even a $1 charge from the day before, will also be charged the $37 overdraft fee. TCF bought out my local bank (which was much better), otherwise I would never have been one of their victims.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

This is the worst bank that I had to deal with. They closed my savings account after not responding to a single letter that they mailed. I have around $500K in the bank, they don't care. My SS check was going to that bank, had to move it to another bank, big issues. Tried to re-open the account, provided fully filled form, they asked for more. Stay away, they are not worth the trouble. I am pulling my money out once the CD's mature.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

I had called the TCF Bank customer service number to check the balance on my checking account. At 10:30 PM on 12/19/16, my balance was approximately $108.00. I went to do laundry (I live in an apartment) and I was able to use my debit card to pay for the washing machines. When I went to pay for the dryers, my card said "declined" on the dryers. I then went to check my balance, and mysteriously, I was negative $28.00! I hadn't used the card in 4 days, and my last transaction was for the laundry. I went to TCF'S "secure" website to check the transaction history. No pending transactions were shown at all, and the last posted transaction minus the washing machines was for 12/16/16. How in the hell can I go from a positive balance to negative in the space of less than 2 hours when the last transactions were $3.00 for the laundry?!?

I attempted to transfer $200.00 from my savings account to my checking account to cover the negative balance, and the impending overdraft fees. I couldn't even transfer the money from my savings account to my checking account!!! Of course, the bank is closed at this time, so I have to wait until 6:00 AM to try and clear up this mess. I'm so SICK of banks screwing over the customers. I've banked with TCF for over 29 years, and I'm seriously thinking of withdrawing my money, and closing my accounts. Of course, it's always the customer's fault; never the bank's. :( Bottom line... TCF just loves to gouge the customers.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

TCF totally sucks homeless man ** that's been outside for days and that someone has been injecting ** into so it's partially necrotic also. I had a safety deposit box with a family heirloom - a Rolex - that my mother bought for me as a present for getting into medical school because she knew she wasn't going to have much more time (she had some medical conditions) and wanted me to have something beautiful to remember her by because her lifelong dream was for me to pursue that road. So when she died I placed it in a safety deposit box and kept a few hundred bucks in the mandatory account that you must have in order to even open a deposit box with the bank - this was to be used mainly to pay whichever costs incurred by the box as well as like the $40 annual renewal.

Well it is all fine and dandy the first year, but the second was a different story as they say. Due to factors I will not get into here because it's too long a story plus the trauma of a car accident I had been involved in (and is the last thing I remember), I was in a coma for about 12 days having no idea how I got to the hospital, who called my family, etc etc. After waking I had to still deal with the multiple injuries and stayed an additional 29 days after leaving ICU in the regular ward to recuperate and work with a physical therapist and **.

There's much more to this but for the sake of staying somewhat on point, my dad calls me one day to tell me TCF Bank had mailed him a letter saying my safety deposit box needed to be paid for or else the contents would be auctioned. Being like 80 miles from home trapped in a hospital for approximately a month and a half did not allow for much rummaging through of my personal belonging to find where I kept the documentation on my account - including the information on the safety box - in order to better see what they were talking about.

Problem 1 - Why the hell did my dad get mail from them? We do have the same name but we do not live in the same house or even town, and technically even state at the time this happened. He does not bank with TCF, either. The last time he probably did was when he was married to my mother, 12 years prior to this situation, and they had a totally separate joint account there but they were divorced, my mom was dead, and my dad's address had changed by this time.

Anyways - So, I get out of the hospital and drive home to my apt and found the paperwork regarding my account/box to my relief. It says I have like 160 bucks still in it which is more than enough to cover the annual $40 renewal. I don't see what the problem could be until a few days later when my dad calls me (from his house, 80 miles away) that he kept getting TCF mail regarding my account and safety deposit box and even weirder it's all post-dated by MONTHS despite saying "time sensitive documents inside." Like they let it sit on some desk for 4 months before dropping it into a mailbox or something. Anyways I call the bank - already I hate it. Why? Because you have to call a calling center at a 1-800 number (1-800-TCF-BANK). Individual stores don't post their own phone numbers. I guess they don't want people to call them during the day. Makes sense, since you don't really need communication in the banking industry... that's a joke y'all.

So I get through to a woman at the 1-800 number which requires hitting "0" a dozen times before the automated system FINALLY gives you the option to transfer to a person which horribly enough isn't even one of the options it gives you in the first place. I talk to a girl and mention that "I'm trying to get ahold of my bank branch to inquire about a safety deposit box but I couldn't locate their number. I was hop..." Interrupted right there. I was going to say "I was hoping you could help me get in touch with them" but didn't get to finish my sentence. She cuts me off and goes "Well yeah (haughty laugh), that's because the individual stores don't want to be bothered!" Several of the above posters have alluded to how their employees are almost sick and sadistic and take delight in ruining your day and I have to agree with them because this woman said it with waaay too much cockiness and bravado.

So anyways she then reiterates what I had ALREADY said - "And besides only the individual branches can help you with safety deposit boxes!" I get transferred to my branch and ask the girl. She goes "Oh you can't even have a safety deposit box without an active checking account." I know this but I don't have any of my TCF banking information with me so I said "Okay well ALL I want to know is IF there is any trouble with my safety box can you at..." interrupted by her now, too. "You have to come into the bank for anything dealing with the safety boxes and like I said I couldn't look up its status if you don't have a checking account with us." So I say "Well I should have a checking account active! I just don't have my bank card right now so I don't know my account number, can I give you my name, social, and DOB?" She goes "We can't give out that information over the phone." I was like "You can't tell me my own bank balance?"

So anyways I hang up and locate my card and call back now knowing the account number. The girl who answered who was the same one btw from the prior call says "This account was closed last year due to inactivity." I go "Well... I had like almost 200 bucks in it and I needed it to pay for my safety deposit box!" She goes "Yeah it looks like you hadn't made any transactions for around a year which is a long time (value statement) so it closed due to inactivity." I was like "What about my 160 bucks or so?" She goes "Oh well it shows you had a zero balance." I said "THAT'S BECAUSE THE ACCOUNT IS CLOSED HONEY. What was the last existing balance?" She goes "I can't tell you that over the phone you have to come in." I was like "I live 80 miles away. I just want to make sure a very important heirloom is safe because now I'm getting worried." She goes "You have to come into the store. We can't tell you that over the phone."

So summary - TCF flat out STOLE 160 bucks from me b/c I hadn't made a purchase in a predetermined expanse of time. TCF mailed my information to my dad totally unprompted which means someone changed it in the computer. Third TCF can't be expected to operate at normal societal levels of interaction or function.

TCF Bank Company Information