TCF Bank

Wayzata, MN

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've re-fi'd a few times, I even re-fi'd with TCF a few years back. It never too much more than a month. 3+ months? Ridiculous. The only reason we didn't go some place else to re-fi was because we'd already given them $500 for the appraiser, and they weren't about to refund the money. I did close my checking and savings accounts with them. Too bad. I've been a customer since 1966. It used to be a great bank. Wish I didn't have this new loan with them. Another issue: I heard from a former TCF employee that if a customer has numerous checks to be posted to their checking account their system is set up to post the largest checks first, in descending order of the check amount, in order to maximize their NSF fees. Scumbags.

I am done with this POS bank. All the do is rape you with overdraft fees. I haven't used my card is over a week but am negative almost 200 bucks. I cannot afford to pay you MF's all my money every month. I'm done. I'm getting my last check out and closing my account. Worst bank I have ever had. ** you TCF.

I've been sitting in the lobby area for approximately 30 min now. Signed in their so call help log. Been waiting for more than 30 min now. There's no customer care associate at none of their desk and only two bank tellers in the front. Ten min after I got here when there were no customers, one of the tellers looked at me and I guess ignored me. I'm about to get the ** out of this piece of ** now. Please don't ever ever come here if you have an account with TCF bank.

Paid my 1st payment on time. They sent me a late notice stating they never received my payment. So I paid it again. Dropped course as I no longer need it- They are still demanding money and stating It's past due when I NO LONGER ATTEND the course and the bank HAS BEEN NOTIFIED. They are stating my account is past due when last month I paid 4x the amount owed!! IF you talk to CSR- They are complete **. GET A LOAN ELSEWHERE!

I have banked with TCF for about 4 years now and they were my first bank account ever. Up until this past year everything was fine but in the past year alone I have been sent 4 new debit cards because of fraudulent activity. The most recent one was a charge of $110 from Chegg, which I knew nothing about. They found it to be not my fault and reimbursed me. The next day Chegg made deposits onto my account, which I had not authorized being as I still didn't know what it was. I went to TCF to ask how this was possible and they told me not to worry about. Fast forward two months and I went to use my card to find out I had a balance of - $169 because TCF had withdrawn $220 without telling me (I had my account set so I could not go negative). Needless to say they put way too much money in and never corrected their mistake even when I went in to ask about it.

After that, the balance on my account just keeps changing. I get emails when my balance is below $15 and that morning I had an email saying I had $8 in the account. I didn't deposit any money and the next day I didn't get an email and when I looked I had $16. I have no idea where it came from and it took them a week to correct it. Since then I've been trying to keep minimal in that account and just transfer money from my savings account. Needless to say they never told me about the federal regulation of charging $15 for every transfer over 6 in a statement period. I have no trust for them when it comes to my checking account. I'm definitely closing all of my accounts with them ASAP.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TCF Bank?

Most inconvenient bank ever. As a business owner I have many bank accounts for my business, personal, mortgage, auto loan, and etc. I recently got a HELOC account from TCF and realized that I am back in the late 1990 in terms of banking experience. When I send a payment from Chase bank to TCF, the bank transfer doesn't even work and it requires Chase to send a check to this account which takes over 5 days. All auto pay services I have setup with TCF is failing with balance still over 100k. There is no email support or any kind of online support provided for mortgage clients. The only thing that seems to work at this moment is by using the check they provided and... they send you a small number of check at a time. If you mismanage the supplies, there is a good chance that you will miss some important due date.

Well I've been with TCF Bank for 3 plus years now. Never had an issue with them at all. I've deposited and keep a balance in my accounts. What pissed me off about TCF is they keep accepting charges even though I didn't have enough funds in my account. The charges that I had made prior to this fiasco happening didn't post so now being 80 short cost me 200 plus dollars in NSF fees. What really pissed me off is that I didn't sign up for this type of account and never would have. So now I'm in the hole 400 dollars and counting as everything prior to this transaction is bouncing and TCF is raking in 37 dollars in NSF Fees. They are no different than any other bank they are more about the money than you are about the customers. Piss off TCF.

Deposited $800 3 days ago by certified check and have 3 electronic transfers for at least $600 that they have had for days and still aren't crediting as available funds. Meanwhile they put storage unit and other charges on the account showing negative balance and overdraft fees when there should be over $1000 in the account. They also put the biggest charges through first (even if they were last to be made) so that any other charge, even a $1 charge from the day before, will also be charged the $37 overdraft fee. TCF bought out my local bank (which was much better), otherwise I would never have been one of their victims.

This is the worst bank that I had to deal with. They closed my savings account after not responding to a single letter that they mailed. I have around $500K in the bank, they don't care. My SS check was going to that bank, had to move it to another bank, big issues. Tried to re-open the account, provided fully filled form, they asked for more. Stay away, they are not worth the trouble. I am pulling my money out once the CD's mature.

I had called the TCF Bank customer service number to check the balance on my checking account. At 10:30 PM on 12/19/16, my balance was approximately $108.00. I went to do laundry (I live in an apartment) and I was able to use my debit card to pay for the washing machines. When I went to pay for the dryers, my card said "declined" on the dryers. I then went to check my balance, and mysteriously, I was negative $28.00! I hadn't used the card in 4 days, and my last transaction was for the laundry. I went to TCF'S "secure" website to check the transaction history. No pending transactions were shown at all, and the last posted transaction minus the washing machines was for 12/16/16. How in the hell can I go from a positive balance to negative in the space of less than 2 hours when the last transactions were $3.00 for the laundry?!?

I attempted to transfer $200.00 from my savings account to my checking account to cover the negative balance, and the impending overdraft fees. I couldn't even transfer the money from my savings account to my checking account!!! Of course, the bank is closed at this time, so I have to wait until 6:00 AM to try and clear up this mess. I'm so SICK of banks screwing over the customers. I've banked with TCF for over 29 years, and I'm seriously thinking of withdrawing my money, and closing my accounts. Of course, it's always the customer's fault; never the bank's. :( Bottom line... TCF just loves to gouge the customers.

TCF totally sucks homeless man ** that's been outside for days and that someone has been injecting ** into so it's partially necrotic also. I had a safety deposit box with a family heirloom - a Rolex - that my mother bought for me as a present for getting into medical school because she knew she wasn't going to have much more time (she had some medical conditions) and wanted me to have something beautiful to remember her by because her lifelong dream was for me to pursue that road. So when she died I placed it in a safety deposit box and kept a few hundred bucks in the mandatory account that you must have in order to even open a deposit box with the bank - this was to be used mainly to pay whichever costs incurred by the box as well as like the $40 annual renewal.

Well it is all fine and dandy the first year, but the second was a different story as they say. Due to factors I will not get into here because it's too long a story plus the trauma of a car accident I had been involved in (and is the last thing I remember), I was in a coma for about 12 days having no idea how I got to the hospital, who called my family, etc etc. After waking I had to still deal with the multiple injuries and stayed an additional 29 days after leaving ICU in the regular ward to recuperate and work with a physical therapist and **.

There's much more to this but for the sake of staying somewhat on point, my dad calls me one day to tell me TCF Bank had mailed him a letter saying my safety deposit box needed to be paid for or else the contents would be auctioned. Being like 80 miles from home trapped in a hospital for approximately a month and a half did not allow for much rummaging through of my personal belonging to find where I kept the documentation on my account - including the information on the safety box - in order to better see what they were talking about.

Problem 1 - Why the hell did my dad get mail from them? We do have the same name but we do not live in the same house or even town, and technically even state at the time this happened. He does not bank with TCF, either. The last time he probably did was when he was married to my mother, 12 years prior to this situation, and they had a totally separate joint account there but they were divorced, my mom was dead, and my dad's address had changed by this time.

Anyways - So, I get out of the hospital and drive home to my apt and found the paperwork regarding my account/box to my relief. It says I have like 160 bucks still in it which is more than enough to cover the annual $40 renewal. I don't see what the problem could be until a few days later when my dad calls me (from his house, 80 miles away) that he kept getting TCF mail regarding my account and safety deposit box and even weirder it's all post-dated by MONTHS despite saying "time sensitive documents inside." Like they let it sit on some desk for 4 months before dropping it into a mailbox or something. Anyways I call the bank - already I hate it. Why? Because you have to call a calling center at a 1-800 number (1-800-TCF-BANK). Individual stores don't post their own phone numbers. I guess they don't want people to call them during the day. Makes sense, since you don't really need communication in the banking industry... that's a joke y'all.

So I get through to a woman at the 1-800 number which requires hitting "0" a dozen times before the automated system FINALLY gives you the option to transfer to a person which horribly enough isn't even one of the options it gives you in the first place. I talk to a girl and mention that "I'm trying to get ahold of my bank branch to inquire about a safety deposit box but I couldn't locate their number. I was hop..." Interrupted right there. I was going to say "I was hoping you could help me get in touch with them" but didn't get to finish my sentence. She cuts me off and goes "Well yeah (haughty laugh), that's because the individual stores don't want to be bothered!" Several of the above posters have alluded to how their employees are almost sick and sadistic and take delight in ruining your day and I have to agree with them because this woman said it with waaay too much cockiness and bravado.

So anyways she then reiterates what I had ALREADY said - "And besides only the individual branches can help you with safety deposit boxes!" I get transferred to my branch and ask the girl. She goes "Oh you can't even have a safety deposit box without an active checking account." I know this but I don't have any of my TCF banking information with me so I said "Okay well ALL I want to know is IF there is any trouble with my safety box can you at..." interrupted by her now, too. "You have to come into the bank for anything dealing with the safety boxes and like I said I couldn't look up its status if you don't have a checking account with us." So I say "Well I should have a checking account active! I just don't have my bank card right now so I don't know my account number, can I give you my name, social, and DOB?" She goes "We can't give out that information over the phone." I was like "You can't tell me my own bank balance?"

So anyways I hang up and locate my card and call back now knowing the account number. The girl who answered who was the same one btw from the prior call says "This account was closed last year due to inactivity." I go "Well... I had like almost 200 bucks in it and I needed it to pay for my safety deposit box!" She goes "Yeah it looks like you hadn't made any transactions for around a year which is a long time (value statement) so it closed due to inactivity." I was like "What about my 160 bucks or so?" She goes "Oh well it shows you had a zero balance." I said "THAT'S BECAUSE THE ACCOUNT IS CLOSED HONEY. What was the last existing balance?" She goes "I can't tell you that over the phone you have to come in." I was like "I live 80 miles away. I just want to make sure a very important heirloom is safe because now I'm getting worried." She goes "You have to come into the store. We can't tell you that over the phone."

So summary - TCF flat out STOLE 160 bucks from me b/c I hadn't made a purchase in a predetermined expanse of time. TCF mailed my information to my dad totally unprompted which means someone changed it in the computer. Third TCF can't be expected to operate at normal societal levels of interaction or function.

I recently got a new Visa\debit card with TCF. Had about $300 in account. Bought 7 items from eBay about $250ish then get a call from a robot asking if I made the orders. I approved of the orders with the fraud department. Come to find out my money now stuck in processing and the eBay sellers canceled the orders and now I guess I have to wait 24 to 3 days to get money back in account. Very mad because now I can't finish the orders due to not enough money in my acct and similar thing happened to a friend at DMV when he bought a new used car. He was paying for plates and stickers with his bank card and they canceled his order there on the spot and told him it looked suspicious and he had to wait hours at DMV to figure it out. When I called TCF the lady regarding my situation told me I should buy things with cash. Omg she also said it was not TCF but Visa who has the security like that so I dunno. Not happy at all with TCF.

Unfortunately TCF bank is my oldest bank, so it's hard for me to let it go and I don't know if it can affect my credit score because I'm not certified with the service I'm getting from this bank. Lacks of using technology and good communication skills with customers make them charge me $37 overdraft. Another problem no sit or good standing area for customers and you will keep adjusting for people moving shopping cart around the store.

Well, let me preface: AFTER banking w/ TCF for over 30 years and NEVER missing a payment and allowing them to hold for me 40-50K in cash a month...my "command credit" line expired (85K). Line of credit was always paid in full and was at 0 balance. Needed to reapply??? Supplied all data requested (like they no longer realized my address after 30 years??), wages, tax return etc. etc. I have no outstanding mtg, no car payments, no loans and over 200k in income. After waiting 3 months, I stop by to find out why I have not received a new line of credit. "Oh well, the rules have changed...We now need (about) $1,000 for someone to come out and "Reappraise" your properties". HERE is to CUSTOMER LOYALTY CHEERS to TCF! I guess they only loan money to people in debt up to their...you know what. Do you really think I am going to give a bank $1k for the honor of "buying a loan". HAS EVERYONE GONE CRAZY.

My boyfriend got a TCF account in Milwaukee, WI for the sake of his military disability check every month. Well we moved to Texas a year ago and within a few months charges started occurring on his account randomly from some place in New York, New York. He called the bank and the teller told him there was nothing they could do; they had no information on the statement itself of "Who, What, Where, When and How" except a company in New York was taking money but no idea for what nor could they tell us if it was from his account or his card. The random charges stopped after a couple months until recent when he check and saw there was $300 in overdraft fees and other things from this same dang company or person.

AGAIN he called but talk to a branch manager and AGAIN he was told there is nothing they could do... same story. He asked for corporate number and was told "that is classified information and we are not authorized to give that information. You will just have to pay the fees and finds and deal with the over drafts!" Like WHAT!? DO NOT BANK WITH THEM!!! I have NEVER heard of ANY bank REFUSING to help customers figure out the problem and resolve any issue. We are 4 states away from any TCF bank and they won't close the account and send him the paperwork to do so. This the worst bank I have ever banked with, but I have no idea how to go about suing them or filing lawsuit against them!

I have been with TCF for 20 years. TCF has once again reordered the time of my charges to maximize overdraft fees. They have actually even charged me twice for 1 item! Which shouldn't have been an overdraft at all. This has happened before. I had $25 in my account. I then charged something for $20 at 4pm. After that I withdrew money, which put me over at 10pm. TCF has charged me $107 in overdraft fees. 2 of the charges were for the $20 that I had money in my account for! One was for the money withdraw. I have recorded receipts of all of these and am joining a class action lawsuit action them.

After having an account with TCF Bank for over 3 years, it's actually my first bank account, I have been disable and receiving a fixed income you are counting your money down to the very last dollar, I find if you don't have a continued income coming in and it's coming up close to receive my disability check somehow some kind of maneuvering goes on. I have anywhere between 2 to 6 overdraft fees because I have medical issues that I have to address. Well while talking to a customer service representative by the name of Kyle by this being my first account and tcf banks are not located everywhere so I sometimes use any ATM that I could find, so by using you know it's a charge but what I didn't know is that you also have to pay the bank A fee also, all this time with the complaints I had but I was never told this especially by this being my first account and my income being limited and spending $5 and you received a $37 overdraft fee.

This is a sucky situation because they jack up my account on a regular basis, so today I go up to the bank and this teller shows how much I have been repaid back and his reaction was like he reimbursed me out his pocket, and that pissed me off and I was like dude by your bank mistakes, I got reimbursements, but I am getting back to work real soon and my business with TCF Bank will be a thing of my past, with their crooked paths!

I've had a student account at TCF Bank since 2010, when I started my PhD. I use it for my per diem payments and for when I get research funding (keeps all education funds separate from household funds). Suddenly, June 2016, another account showed attached to my account & I could not access my account via ATM! The attached account was my Mom's, but I was signatory for emergency purposes (we're both single, living alone & have declared the other as able to access our primary account; as the student account was not primary (my primary at another institution), Mom's name not attached to my account). But no where within Mom's account did my SSN, address or any personal details reside. For someone to attach based on name only required an employee to access the accounts, decide to fiddle, and act without authorization.

I attempted to contact customer service for the mandatory report of employee fraud to be generated for the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). It took 7 phone calls to get through to a supervisor. The leads were, to a person, overbearing, supercilious, patronizing and refused to listen. Each one said these words, despite the fact that I have NO ELECTRONIC ACCESS TO MY MOTHER'S ACCOUNT: "Obviously it is something that you did yourself, but you've just forgotten." Apparently they believe if they keep saying this, customers will come to believe it.

Finally I got a supervisor who took the report and promised to make the required OCC report (she didn't). The next day, I received my Mom's account statement at my house. This was proof positive of employee fraud as ONLY MOM'S ADDRESS WAS IN THAT FILE!! Someone manually went in and entered my address, manually changed the setting to "send statement to this address" and removed her address from the statement filed entirely. When Mom called, they gave her some song & dance, which she accepted. I called the Supervisor who had taken the OCC report to advise of this new event. She corrected both accounts (they'd told Mom earlier that it was done; nothing had been touched! ), And I called again before closing to verify and found that, as suspected, they'd botched it: they'd put my address in Mom's account, Mom's address in mine (these are NOT the greatest examples of intelligence).

A week later, I called. Again it took multiple calls (9) to get through to someone claiming to be a supervisor (he lied). This one stated no fraud investigation was happening as there was no fraud, "it was entirely customer action that-" I interrupted him, exploding "You are a lead, you little slimy pond-scum eating thing!! Give me your name, badge number and your Manager's name NOW!" The manager called me 2 days later, could not have cared less about his employee lying on the phone, representing falsely that he was a supervisor. I tried to file a fraud complaint. Only possible on credit cards. Thus organization doesn't recognize the possibility of fraud being perpetrated on accounts other than credit, has no means of filing fraud complaints.

I tried to use ATM again in early September - my PIN had again been deactivated. I put the checks into a deposit envelope and dropped into the night drop, as I had every other time when my ATM PIN was deactivated after having been deactivated again (this happened x5). I received a voicemail the next day from an unknown number stating "This is TCF Bank. We got your deposit." I'd also noted on envelope that the account was SUPPOSED to be under a fraud investigation but as someone had again deactivated the 6 yr old PIN, apparently those fraud investigations weren't all that good at TCF.

In the afternoon, a call from an unknown number that accidentally got picked up. An unidentified female voice "Anne, this is Carla from TCF. Which account do you want this deposit to be put in?" I responded "first, you've not identified me, so you've violated federal banking regulations. Second, I only have one account with you, you very stupid woman!" Second female voice: "No, you have two accounts." Me: "then equally or more stupid woman, also violating FEDERAL BANKING REGULATIONS because you don't know to whom you are speaking!!!" Second voice: "then you need to come to the branch." Me: "oh, won't THAT just be fun!" Click.

I went to the branch. 2nd voice was Linda, the branch manager. She denied the lack of identification. "I heard her say "Anne?" Me: "What? I'm the only Anne in this area? The only Anne you have holding an account? Did she ask for last 4? Did she do anything as required by law?!!! DID YOU!?!!! NO!!!" LINDA: "Moving on. Which account-" Me: "I have only 1 account. I have only ever had 1 account. I am signatory on another account but I do not have any ownership or access to that except in extraordinary circumstances."

Linda: "No, you own and co-own." Me: "No. I know about the status of 2nd account & the fraud occurring on both. How 1 of your employees is fiddling these accounts, changing data in the accounts, changing the addresses in my Mom's account AN ACCOUNT TO WHICH I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY ELECTRONIC ACCESS, and someone has deactivated my PIN 5 no 6 times in 3 months, thus all of the deposits into the night drop." Then she says "the phrase" that tells me the source of her origin: "Obviously it is something that you did yourself, but you've just forgotten."

I stayed for a bit, saw she was, as I'd originally declared, a very stupid woman. "You called me horrible things on the phone!" "No, I merely stated the truth: you are a very stupid woman. I don't use profanity or call other women **, as that is not true and serves no purpose. I merely state facts. As I've done during this entire pointless interview. You'd decided your position prior to my walking in the door. That confirms you as a very stupid person, for stupidity remains intractable where intelligence responds and reacts to new information. My mother will be closing her account forthwith; unfortunately, I have no choice but to remain with Stupid people until I complete my 5th PhD. Good day."

My wife called me tonight to ask me if I was throwing a party for my office at Wendy's while I was working late. I told her no and she told me my TCF account had just been charged. I told her it wasn't me and to call the bank. We tried. For the next two hours we called every number listed for TCF and every fraud or stolen card number popped us into the customer service queue with the message, "Sorry we are closed please call back during normal business hours." While we were wasting time we got another charge on the account, finally I emptied what was left in my account into another bank to prevent the drain.

What type of bank doesn't have a 24-hour emergency fraud number? I have a NetSpend account I use when traveling. When a charge occurs it pops up as an alert and if I call them they kill the card immediately. I called the Chicago Police and filed a Victim Information Report because the thief was literally walking from fast food shop to fast food shop. We could tell from the addresses that were showing up on our account. Where the hell was TCF? What really aggravates me about this is during a family vacation they shut off my card because of a purchase in another state. It ruined a vacation while we waited for a replacement card. Now when I want to shut them off I can't. TCF - TOTALLY CLUELESS, FRUSTRATING.

I closed two accts on 7/5/16, at TCF bank, a CD and a money market. I never wrote any checks on either acct yet received a letter dated 7/11/16, that I have overdrawn $112.93? I called the bank, how can I have overdrawn, I never wrote a check. I was informed my acct is still open and I have overdrawn $173.52? Open? I closed my accts when I withdrew my money? I was told to go back to the bank and pay $173.52? This bank's dishonest business practices need to be investigated. Only now do I see the many horrible customer reviews TCF bank is receiving. How is TCF allowed to stay in business?

I have been a customer at TCF National Bank for well over a decade +, as I opened the account when I was very young. Over the last few years, I started to encounter problems with the bank when one day, while out of town, I attempted to pay for a meal but my card was declined. Frustrated, I contacted the bank only to learn that they had apparently sent me a new card and deactivated the old. Well, I was completely unaware of this as I had not known a new card was sent to me. Fortunately that day, I had a several credit cards with me.

To my dismay, this scenario repeated itself SEVERAL times. Once, I was in a grocery store and learned that my transaction was declined because there was a fraud alert placed on the account but no one told me. I didn't receive any alerts or notifications, just a declined transaction. I called and complained again while at the store and was told "Oh, it's for your protection". Well, I politely explained that if I cannot make purchases with my own card from an account that I have money in, it's not for my own protection, it's an embarrassment and inconvenience. They apologized (as they always do) and stated they would send me a new card. The last straw was when it happened yet again and my transaction was declined.

Now, let me preface this by saying I use my check card all the time and have not once reported any fraudulent activity or made any claims. I have accounts directly linked to my cards for automatic withdrawals, I bank online, and I rarely carry cash. So, when these cards are canceled - it affects all of my business transactions. Also, I am pretty much a creature of habit when it comes to spending, so when I called customer relations this time to complain they were pretty much advised at how much this pattern of behavior was completely inconvenient to me.

Yet, I was told "Well, you have been shopping at a store where the fraud activity was reported." Well, duh, it's a freaking grocery store and I go to the same store about 2-3 times a month because it's in my neighborhood. I am not going to stop shopping at a grocery store because you company fails to provide adequate protection. This time I stayed on the phone for nearly an hour, with a simple request. Do not cancel another card. It's too much work to update with my creditors who make direct debits against it and it's too frustrating going into a store not knowing if the card is going to work or not.

So, I have friends who tell me consistently GET RID of TCF. I have not done it because of the long history with the bank and the fact that I have direct deposit from my job. But, as of today, I am resolved to close all of my accounts. This is the worst bank ever. Keep in mind, I also have a savings at Chase and a mortgage with Citibank, so I plan to do all of my banking with one of these companies. Final thought: during my last conversation with them the agent seemed so concerned and pretended to write up a report to escalate the matter and hopefully bring about a resolve. BS. I just learned today that my current card was canceled again while trying to make an online transaction. 4 cards in less than a year and half. Please avoid TCF Bank if you can.

I applied for their credit card a while back. They disapproved my application, and they didn't give me a reason about that. They were very unprofessional. The disapproval email didn't even come from them, and it was from another financial institute. The email didn't even state what it was regarding. I applied several cards at that time, so I didn't have a clue where it was from until later. It was that difficult to state that was about the TCF card.

I deposit my rent to my landlord's TCF savings account. My husband and I have been doing this for 2 years and the tellers at our nearest TCF location were fantastic, but unfortunately all the TCFs in our city closed last month. So a few days ago, I drove to another city to deposit the money. I filled in the slip, but then the teller copied my landlord's account number onto a savings deposit slip because I told her it was a savings account. She gave it to me to sign and I did. I quickly glanced at the numbers and they seemed correct, but I should have checked it thoroughly or written it myself. Well, anyway she deposited the money and I left with my receipt. I texted my landlord a copy of the receipt that I got because she said she hadn't receive it. We realized that the account number was not hers.

So I went back the next morning and spoke with the same women - Ahndriana in Romeoville, IL. She basically said that it wasn't her fault that she copied the account number that I provided to her, but I saw that the account number that she was withdrawing the money from was completely different. It's not like it was off by one number, the entire account number was different. I know I did not give her that account number because I always double check to make sure that I wrote the right account number to avoid things like this. I would have been ok with her just apologizing for her accidentally depositing my rent check to a wrong account, but it made me upset that she did not take responsibility for her mistake and instead blamed me when I know that I couldn't have given her another account number. I let it rest because I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with arguing with her. She didn't want to admit it because she didn't want to get in trouble.

I get it, but if you're not going to take responsibility at least don't blame the customer. My landlord is now going to switch to Chase. My husband also used to bank with TCF, but I am glad he closed his account! Also, something like this happened to my brother-in-law awhile ago and TCF did not resolved the issue because he did not have his receipt. Needless to say that he also closed his TCF account and went to Chase.

My banking experience with TCF had been the worst!!! I moved from IL to Texas almost a year ago. I left IL without closing my account and had been trying for 11 months to close my account!!! Every time I call is a different requirement! Because I tried to use all my money left to leave it in zeros... Well, I start getting overdraft charges from them!!! I had been in the phone several times! I am trying to CLOSE MY ACCOUNT! TCF you should be as effective to help with closing accounts as you are when you are soliciting business while people shops at Jewel!

After being a customer for over a decade, I had to open a new account because someone stole my purse with my checks and passport and other personal information. When you close a TCF account and open a new account, all history is erased. This was the first point of grievance. They erased any notification that stated I had 10 years of great history with TCF which made it look like I was a new customer. I spent two hours opening the new account IN PERSON in Colorado Springs proving my identity, etc. Four months later, after harassing me via letters to get the EXACT same information I had supplied in person, TCF sent me a letter expressing that my account had been cancelled and they were going to close it.

They failed to provide a reason as to why. When I called and spoke to two different people, both refused to provide an explanation. And the worst part, I continue to get mailings that state I am a "valued customer." Talk about throwing matches onto the fire. Why waste my time and open a new account, spend $30 on new checks, just to close it when I had proved my identity? And WHY continue to send me mail that states I am a "VALUED customer" when TCF closed my account??? I have told all my friends about this on social media and highly recommended to them to stay FAR AWAY from TCF. DO NOT OPEN A TCF BANK ACCOUNT! Their customer service is piss-poor!

I came out of the downtown White Bear Lake branch today so upset that I could not stop crying- even at the doctor's office where I was getting a cancer test. They had charged me an overdraft fee for a transaction that was marked as paid. Long story short, I was "advised" by a phone bank "lead" person to "opt in" so the 4.00 and some change overdraft would be covered. Moments earlier, I was told by the teller that I was opted in as of August of 2015. As I waited on the phone for the lead person to call the teller I overheard the teller talking in hushed tones. After hanging up the teller comes over to me and says that she was wrong- I had not "opted in". This after telling me she had checked and found out I was, indeed opted in, therefore the fee would stand. I told her to show me the paper she had just showed me that she was going to have me fill out before she found out that I was already opted in. She informed me that she had shredded it!

The tellers next to her- who SAW HER start the paperwork played dumb. I broke down in tears and was sobbing. I started to leave when I noticed the vice president- who btw watched this all take place and did nothing- supposedly on the phone. I asked him if I could speak with him and he said yes. He offered no sympathy or even a kind word. He acted like it was nothing but an annoyance, told me to sign up to opt in- even though I already was, and told the teller- who was smiling all the time while I was sobbing- to reverse the fee and then I can be "on my way" and this will be over. I noticed that he almost said that I'd be "out of here". I felt as though I was in the Twilight Zone- these people were cruel! I will be looking at other bank options.

I have an account for insurance for my children. My insurance comes out every month on the 28th like clockwork. I always deposit or transfer funds to cover, never had a problem. Today I looked at my account and I have an overdraft fee for 37.00. I inquired about it and a banker named Justine was so condescending he almost made me sick to my stomach.

First he asked me when did I make the deposit and they received it on the 29th. Clearly it shows deposited funds on the 28th. Since he could not get around that excuse he states, "Well we will give you an overdraft fee for any amount!" TCF's policy is: there will not be an overdraft fee assessed if it is 5.00 or less... He then stated, "You need to take your receipt to the bank and prove it"...

I have been banking with TCF for over 20 years and because they cannot get me on overdraft fees, they try everything that they can to get me. They even overextend my balances by more than hundreds of dollars to make me think I have more than I have in the bank... I keep a ledger of my accounts and know what I have! I have even gone to the bank manager and showed the deception on several occasions... It is a shame that a bank is this dishonest. Mind you not only did they charge me an overdraft for one penny, they returned it as insufficient funds!! It is time to move on!! I am looking for another institution. My children refuse to bank there!! Pissed off customer!!!

Fraud attempt was placed on my account because I called TCF and could not verify my last deposit. How silly is that? All my March bills bounced and I wasn't advised until I received my monthly statement and my April utility bills indicating I was past due. I went to a local branch to discuss and I was advised they will not refund my fees because they are more than 14 days old. How in the WORLD was I supposed to know what was going on?! Now all my utilities will not accept my personal check and only bank issued checks. I signed up online to process direct payments... they still haven't cleared. I have tried to talk to the branch manager again and no response to email or phone calls. I'm searching for a direct contact if anyone has one for someone higher up. I can't wait for the dust to settle. I'm moving my money once I get my $533.00 in FEES back!

I just found out that the banker at TCF closed the wrong account and left me helpless. No one can help me until Monday and they cannot reopen an account over the phone, even if it is a mistake. I have no idea how could this happen!! All my bills, my mortgage payment, my car, and my direct deposit come out of that account. They are closed tomorrow for Easter, to complicate matters more. I need to know if there are any branches open tomorrow in Michigan at all. Help!

On 03.09.16, I opened a personal and business account with TCF Bank with a very large tax refund issued by the IRS for 2014. Due to the large refund claimed, the IRS exercised additional processing time which took up to a year to verify all of my tax credits, losses, and federal withholding, and I also had to submit requested documentation from them. Long story short, I received my refund and went to open an account with this sorry ass bank and they have given me the runabout for 2 weeks. First they take the deposit item and stated it would clear in 2 days, okay cool! Then they say they couldn't verify a ''government check"! Then they said they verified the amount but not the payee which is myself. Then they said, that the check was issued from the IRS in error and they were sending the check back to them. Are you ** kidding me?!

I called the IRS 4 times in 2 days and the IRS informed me that the check was good. There weren't any mistakes made on the issuing of the check and that they can't verify a check because they don't have a dept that does that. The only way they would verify the check is if I call them and have the bank listen to the conversation. I tried that. The IRS said that it was nothing that they can do if they mail the check back. It will only be reissued out to me.

These sorry ** have mailed my refund check back to the IRS. Now I have to wait any 2 months before I get a check from them again. I'm so ** livid. I don't know what to do. They would honor the check so they lied and sent it back to IRS. If you bank with these sorry ass people you need to watch out. They have created a huge dilemma for myself, my business, etc. How can you take someone's deposit item and not give it back if you won't honor it? I feel like whooping somebody's **. THIS IS SOME STRAIGHT **!!!

TCF Bank Company Profile