1.17/5
Based on 266 reviews that contain star ratings

Wayzata, MN

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

289 TCF Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I went to TCF Bank branch to cash my $6,000 check and was told there would be a 3% check cashing fee because I did not have a account with TCF. I agreed to the 3% check cashing fee which was $180 dollars. Then after standing there for 20 minutes they told me they could not and would not cash my check that was drawn off their Bank their customer so I walked out with the check I walked in with, no money and a very pissed-off attitude so I suggest if you have a TCF check tear it up and throw it back at the person that wrote it to you because that bank will not cash it.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I made a purchase through wish.com app for an expensive water slide. The charge was for $553 dollars. It was junk, I sent it back through wish.com process with label they provided me. I never got my money back as wish said they never received it, when in fact they did. I filed a dispute with TCF and have been trying repeatedly to get my money back, sent TCF all of my documents that PROVED I sent it back and that Wish was lying saying they didn't, and even with ALL of the proof, they refuse to stand by their customer and are siding with Wish. So now I have no product, and no money. I have been a customer for 9 years. And this is just awful. I am closing my account and going with a bank that will stand by their customers.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

TCF stands for THE CORRUPT FILTHY. 1. Horrible customer service. 2. Discrimination. 3. Misleading corrupt information. 4. No loyalty to customers. 5. Unprofessional. 6. No values. I am currently in the stages of disputing 2 ATM transactions - third party ATM. The 1st incident the ATM machine went into collaboration a phase and no monies dispensed. I waited and tried it again. I received my money. Yet my account showed 2 withdrawals when in actuality I only received money from one transaction. I called TCF’s customer service number and was told the transaction should fall off as it is in pending status. The transaction did not fall off and I called back opened a dispute. I received a provisional credit a few days later and a letter from TCF about a week after they which stated “TCF is investigating this dispute and you will hear from us by 1/3/19.”

A few weeks after opening the dispute I had the same issue. I called TCF and this time even while the transaction was in Pending status the representative opened a dispute. FIRST fact 2 identical issues 2 different processes. On 12/12/2018 I called for an update on my 2nd dispute. I have not received any communication nor have I received a credit. I am not rich and depend on my money to survive. On 12/22/2018 around 8 am Central I spoke to a representative in the customer service department who called the dispute team and told me on a recorded line (TCF pulled the actual call and confirmed their own representative said that) “you will receive your provisional credit today and if you do not call us back.” I have not received the credit and called at around 2 pm Central time and was told that I will not be receiving anything and the prior representative provided me inaccurate information.

Not one team lead would escalate. Not one had any compassion nor any remorse for the actions of their own wrongdoing. I could not find a corporate phone number or a corporate email for an escalation/office of the president. Please tell me which honorable, customer based, loyal, company would not provide this information to the public or have it listed on the web? What made me write this review is that today the initial provisional credit has been deducted making my account negative that exact amount.

I called the customer service number and was informed that a letter was mailed on 12/10 but wait I was on the phone with several representatives 12/12. No one advised me of any such finding. Letter from TCF dated 12/10, envelope stamped 12/13, and received at the USPS 12/14. I have the proof in my hands. I forewarn other hardworking individuals to avoid TCF at all costs - this is not a legit financial institution. This bank discriminates against customers and has no skills to work with the public or be trusted with money. You have been warned - watch out!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

TCF Bank was sued by the Consumer Fraud Protection Bureau (cFPB vs. TCF Bank) and ordered to refund customers for overdraft fees occurring between 2010 and 2013, approximately (pls look up exact dates). Just wondering how many customers have received a refund or at least a notice of such? For some reason I have been excluded, avoided, etc. I smell a rat and more scams...ugh!!! Not sure what to do next?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My name is Eleanor and I think you all should close TCF Bank down because this is the worst bank in the world. They kept charging me overdraft fee for some **. Told them to take off and once they took it off they still charge me it. Is anything I could do to this ** bank? I wish I could sue they **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TCF Bank?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

TCF BANK is the worse!! I have been charged over 250$ in overdraft fees! They are holding debit charges over a week before collecting the money. Waiting until your account is below the amount and putting payments through; therefore causing overdraft fees. When asked about it they blame the merchant!!! I know this is to be untrue because one of the "pending payments" was a payment from an ATM. ATM withdrawal should not pend for 3 days. This bank is the absolute worse. I do not recommend to anyone. The things they are doing has to be legal. I plan on taking this further. I'm contacting the BBB as well - maybe even the news station. They must be stopped!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I went to the bank lunch hour using my work id and social security to withdraw money to get lunch. The teller wouldn't let me, fine. I accepted that that day I forgot to bring my credit card so I went to nearest Jewel's. But I found out that someone was able to go into my account and deposit 500$ and make a deposit slip forcing my name on it. This person doesn't love me, this person cheap. This person in order to violate my account and get to know all my activity and transaction did that. So yes I want this teller who was on that transaction to be punished and I want this teller to understand that such abuse should stop. 500$ deposit is too cheap as price to violate my account so yes terminate that teller. Maybe they would understand the account security when they do so.

TCF, Jewel's, Hickory Hills, Illinois. Account number ** Sana **. The above is my name and my account and on Oct 4 2018, I got this violated. I want none to be able to access my account. So yes please make sure the manager, the teller, and I believe the manager who did that because I didn't do it, so for this transaction to happen without me, the only one who can do it is the manager.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I became a TCF customer during my time attending the University of Minnesota, as they are the official bank for the school. Never once during my account opening nor during any of the many consultations I had over the years in a branch with representatives was it made aware to me that I should not have this bank if I plan on moving out of state. Fast forward to this year, I move back Alaska where I am from and subsequently lose my wallet. Now in my experience banking with Wells Fargo, I was able to order a new debit card over the phone (provided I can pass the security measures and verify I am the account holder). TCF required me to get a notarized letter and send it in to the bank. After waiting a month to receive my card, I was told that the PIN would arrive separately in the mail.

I have been waiting over a week from when my new card arrived to receive my PIN. I called customer service with interest in closing my account and was notified that again, I would I have to send in a notarized letter to receive MY money. My experience with TCF has been terrible. They had no understanding for why these policies have been incapacitating to my life, and had no interest and hearing my concerns. In my opinion this bank needs to be shut down, because they don’t have their customers best interest at heart.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I'll be on vacation when one of my CD renews, Friday to Sunday, one week. The grace period is 7 calendar days not business days. The CD matures on Saturday September 29th, after I leave and grace period is the Saturday after I get back. So I figure I'll call up and see what it will renew at, I was told it would renew at the 13 month and now that is only paying 0.3%. They have a 14 month running for 2.23% now. They don't know what will be available on September 29th for 13 months. I asked what the charges would be if I closed the CD out on that Monday after I got back. I was hung up once by their agent and then a supervisor, Kim. Finally got someone, Sam, to give me a rough idea and was told it would be, $150.00 to $400.00. The agent, Sam, also said I could renew the CD at the 14 month over the phone. At this point he didn't instill my trust in TCF.

The next day I went to the bank and talked to the bank manager, Kelly **, there I was told I could not renew into a 14 month from a 13 month over the phone without a signed notarized letter of direction. This was it, time to get the money out. The following day I got the notarized letter of direction stating that when the CD matures to have the funds electronically transferred over to my other bank. I was told no they could not do that, they can only write a check. I argued with her saying I could transfer monies instantly to pay bills, invest and sell or buy real estate. She wouldn't back down, I told her I wanted to talk to her supervisor, she was the branch manager, she got on the phone and told me her boss was out of town. I told her to call corporate and she refused. Argued some more, she started yelling and getting belligerent, told me to leave or she was going to call the police.

Next I called again and explained, was told they could do nothing. I again asked to speak to supervisor, Vince, who told me it was a branch decision. I explained to him how I was treated. He said he would call the branch and have them send a check to me when the CD matures. I have given your representative, Kelly **, my letter of direction. This letter of direction is a legal binding document and I expect it to be followed as per that letter content. If it is not followed and there are any charges to me, I will expect to be reimbursed. If I incur any costs I will be forced to take legal action.

I and my family have money with TCF Bank for years and you have turned out to be a real disappointment to me. Your customer service is horrible, you call on the phone and get hung up on, they can't answer questions and give conflicting information. I go into the bank branch and expect to get some answers, but instead get yelled at and threatened like I'm a criminal. A simple matter of renewing a CD has turned into a nightmare. I guess it's time to start spreading the word.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

AVOID THIS BANK AT ALL COSTS. I've used TCF since I first started working and there weren't any issues. I set my card to where if I hit $0 it stops spending. No issues right? Wrong. The bank turned off my limits so overdrawing became an issue. Don't get me wrong, I am checking my account and the times I have are when I just get paid and am checking regularly to make sure things are regular. Yes, I've gone over a few times due to me not watching as carefully, but this has become a full blown issue where every single one of my checks are being drained into the bank since I constantly have an overdrawn fee even when there IS money in. I spoke with two representatives about this and they agree they genuinely dislike what I'm about to explain.

I don't write in or get upset on phone calls ever, but I've reached my limit. What the lady explained to me first was when we were going through my account history, she started naming purchases and places I've "purchased" at that were not even showing up on my own account with them. I told her that and her response was "Well it's on mine, are you looking at the right date?" When it is very clear what your history is with how they have set it up online. She was naming purchases and sales that DID NOT EXIST. The second was that regardless of what you have in your account, they can still come back in and take from your account if they believe you have something overdrawn. My situation as of recent ended up with me owing over $400 just because of overdraw fees that I had already paid off. It is beyond ridiculous. It is NOT acceptable.

It has been constant for MONTHS and at the moment, I'm taking my own check and getting out before I have more of my money just turned back over to the bank. Bank's SHOULD NOT be able to just turn on and off spending limits whenever without notification. Banks SHOULD NOT be able to just take something out of your account simply based on an amount spent BEFORE my paycheck comes in and fixes it. I understand if it is pending, but it is unacceptable to constantly drain people's accounts because they cannot read the time and amount and the dates correctly. The two women expressed that they disliked this about their group and I will be calling higher up to voice the complaint even further.

All of these happen without notice until after they've charge your account and you find out through the mail instead. Not once did a representative explain this to me before opening an account. That is unprofessional and I've lost too much money because of either people being unprofessional or marketing off of people by scamming them. Either way, I am done with this bank. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I called TCF to find out why my online banking showed I had 560 in my account but the automated system only showed 410. I spoke to a nice lady who even pulled up my online banking and confirmed that it did not match what she was showing my balance. She said she will forward it to IT so they could fix it. This happens so many times and screws me over in fees. Then if I call back afterwards they said that it's not their fault I should keep a ledger.

Well if I am checking my balances and all of my transactions have come out how am I supposed to know it's wrong? Another time I spoke to 5 overseas reps because I know I didn't overdraft. They didn't understand what I was saying and refused to look. I finally got a man named Eddie who reviewed my overdraft notice and saw that TCF tried to double a transaction which caused me 4 overdraft fees. The transaction that was posting never fell off pending so they were debiting twice. He removed the fees. It like they bank on these foreigners talking in circles when they make a mistake. That way they can steal our money!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Free checking is the first lie told by this bank or they don't you is that it only lasts 6 months then you have to dispute and watch for any fee they can dream up. They pretend that they will correct the problem then turn and say, "there's nothing I can do". I do not feel like a customer more like a host for a parasite.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I went into the TCF branch in Jewel on Arlington Heights & Rand Rd. I spoke to the associate and gave her a smile but that didn’t help her because she was very very rude, not friendly and didn’t want to help me with my transaction. She was loud talking me in front customer until one of her co workers had to tell her to stop. By that I was so upset. I left in tears. I didn’t finish my transaction. I went home and told my husband what happened. He called the branch manager and spoke with her. I will never go back to this branch again. This happen on August 22nd 2018. I’m a very very very unhappy customer.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Any government people know how to stop an ongoing theft? I recently had 2 charges come thru my TCF bank account, electric generated checks with 10 year old information, wrong spelling of my name and no signature, had to close the account to get them to stop. Now I get a letter saying they can charge me a stop payment, for every check that comes in SO now they have it all worked out so either you let the false charges continue or continue paying the bank stop payment charges.

Bank in Chicago Lakeside bank cashed the bogus checks 2 times and TCF paid them without question. Now I am spending all my time trying to get this scam stopped. Company in Henderson NV sends a charge to Chicago and then they cash the check. Real cozy arrangement. Anyone. Any Ideas or similar situations please respond trying to get Homeland security going on it, could be terror finance or Illegal alien scam. Or the banks are involved too.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Direct Deposit did not post. I called the bank and the girl said they were having issues with deposits posting. The girl said to check my account now and it posted. 2 weeks late, Direct Deposit did not post. This time an automatic debit came in overdrawing my account. Called customer service and she said it was my husband's HR department posting the check a day later than normal. I told her he gets paid the 15 and 30th. She said, "Well the money came in on the 13th and 29th the last time." I said, "Well that's because he gets paid the 15 and the 30th." So I said, "Now what do I do because my account is overdrawn." She blamed it on the HR department. So basically I have to pay the overdraft fee. I am done with this bank. Problem after problem.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I wish I would have read the article about this bank being sued for illegal practices before I started to bank with them. I have reported to the BBB and also this website to warn future consumers of their illegal practices. I have opted out of overdraft protection, yet every month I get hit with over $200.00 in fees for overdraft. The great part is that, my account is always positive. I make deposits every Monday and Friday. These fees show up on the weekend with no notification or communicating to the customer. They just SHOW UP. I called to get it figured out and no one can help me. I closed my savings with them a few months ago because they suggested to have one in case these invisible overdraft fees come again to balance the checking account. That never happened either.

The customer service is terrible, they do not want to keep you as a customer and just explain what you already know about banking. It is illegal to be opted out of overdraft and still get overdraft fees! Stealing from customers is terrible and I hope this bank gets shut down. Do yourself a favor and bank with a company who cares about their customers and does not steal. If you like having $300+ stolen from you monthly. Bank with TCF. This bank needs to be investigated immediately! Shady!

Original review: July 5, 2018

I'd give them a zero if it was possible. I had fraudulent charges on my account from Amazon. I pointed out which ones were legitimately my charges and the 2 which were fraudulent. They took their sweet time and then said it was not ruled in my favor. I called again and spoke to another rep and said I want the case reopened. I spoke with Amazon who sent me an email saying that they found another account using my card, had closed the account which I forwarded on to them along with screenshots of my legitimate account showing my legit purchases.

Every time I talk to them now to ask about it they tell me to send this or that to reopen the case and then don't. If you have fraud on your account, don't depend on them to help you. They seem like they are helping you on the phone tell you what to do next, you fulfill your part and then don't hear back, waste your lunch calling them again for them to claim they didn't receive this or that or you didn't do it correctly.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I filed a dispute with TCF. They sent me a letter three weeks later denying it. It was made in early May. When I called they said it was filed the day before a letter went out. Either the rep is lying or they did not put the dispute through until 3 weeks later. This bank has made several mistakes! Stay Away!!!

Original review: June 17, 2018

I moved from Arizona to Pennsylvania 2 years ago and kept my account with TCF... I have had numerous overdraft fees due to the fact they are not accurate on the online banking as well as when my automatic deposit goes in it seems they do not have accurate times from East to West Coast. The customer service was rude and seemed not very knowledgeable. I will be transferring my money to another bank.

Original review: May 26, 2018

While TCF is not the biggest bank, they make up for it in service, and caring for their customers. They do an excellent job of offering the same products and services as the big banks but I don't feel like a number at TCF versus the big banks.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My daughter has dealt with TCF for 25 years starting when she was in college. This year she worked two jobs. Her second job was at HOME DEPOT and because they tried to work her to death she became ill and quit giving them 3 weeks notice. She had direct deposit with TCF and Home Depot sent a pending deposit and then a reverse. The bank never got any money from HOME DEPOT but that did not stop the bank from emptying her checking account.

I made a call to my bank to see what they would have done in this case and they said two things one check to see if the actual deposit had been made and 2 call me. TCF did neither they just took money out and overdrew her account. Anyone who has any suggestions it would be appreciated. Yes they sent a paper check but my daughter said after talking with the HR people in GA it sounded like they have already stopped payment. TCF should have responded to Home Depot with, "You never sent a deposit." Instead of just taking money already in the account.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I banked with TCF for 20 yrs and with Great Lakes Bancorp before they were bought by TCF. They sent me a letter threatening to close my account if I didn't tell them the details of a $500 PayPal payment on my account. They wanted the sender's name, physical address, date of birth, occupation and nature of relationship. The payment was from my brother to pay for a computer he bought from a guy on Facebook. He lives 180 miles away and I did him a favor of paying for it and picking it up until he could pick up. Completely innocent but I don't think TCF has a right to question my PayPal transactions that are 100% legal and the reason PayPal exists. I opened up a new account with PNC, closed both TCF accounts, business & personal. I am now moving my mortgage from them to somebody else. This is something I should've done years ago. TCF has always been a terrible bank.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I recently opened checking account there. I was told when I opened the account that with mobile checking there would be a 2-day hold. Now they're saying that it will be longer. They released half of the check but took those funds back and now I don't know when or if I'll be able to get the funds. It was a payroll check.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have Mortgage (I.O) with TCF and due date is 23rd of month and I make autopayment on 20th with 70$ more than usual monthly payments. I still get charged with late payment fees for last couple months. Not sure what’s going on. Deceptive practices!

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have been a customer since I moved to MN a little over 2 years ago. I have 3 accounts with them. My son just got his first job, and we wanted to open a teen checking account for him. TCF said that they no longer accepted student ID's and he must have a State issued ID. I complained as he is a minor and was able to get a job with his student but cannot cash his checks, and we would have to wait several weeks for State ID to come in mail. Plus, he has a savings account with them. I was told no exceptions, but they would take the "yellow" paper (given by DMV) as proof that ID had been ordered. We do as they say, and bring back the "yellow" paper just to be denied again because no ID number is filled in (they do not fill in ID numbers for new applicants.)

I asked to speak to someone else with more authority. The branch manager tells me that she "can" override the ID number requirement but won't because it is a "too complicated process". And then she told me how TCF could still cash his check for a very low fee. Needless to say, I was livid. Once home, I was able to open a checking account for him through another institution in a matter of minutes without the red tape and grief. I think I will be making the change for my own accounts very shortly. PS... I also hate the new online format for same reasons as others have mentioned.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

This all started by my landlord informing me my rent never arrived. I called the 800 line to see what I needed to do to cancel a check. I was told by Martin that I was a great customer for many years with no overdraft fees & he would see if he could cancel the cancel check fee. He came back on the line & stated he could not do that. I asked for a supervisor & got Kristin she stated she could not waive the fee but would close my account so my fees could not be taken out with my check info. She stated she had closed the account & all I had to do is go to my local branch & they would setup a new account give me checks & a debit card there. I went to the Edgewater, CO location to set up the new account & was told they did not need to close my account so they reopened it. I then asked about cancelling the check. She asked for the check #. I gave it to her & was told it would be $35.

I explained I had no extra cash in my account. I then said, "Ok. Well can we just start a new account so I don't have to worry about a check floating around out there", she said, "Sure. That will be $25", I again said I do not have any extra money in my account (I'm very frustrated at this point) so she says, "Well we just need it to start the account & the money will be available tomorrow, I was OK with this as I was just going to transfer all the money from the other account into the new one. I then ask if I can get checks, she replies, "You can for $19.99"... At this point I'm ready to scream so I just tell her to close my account and give me the cash. I can't believe after all these years you would treat a loyal customer so horribly. I'm disgusted I had to close my account in order to not worry about a check floating around out there. I work in customer service & I can't imagine treating one of my customers like they do not matter.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Been a member for almost 20 years. It's such a pain to change accounts and I always say I'm going to but never do. So I guess at this point I have no one to blame but my self. My complaints are many: From deducting hundreds of dollars and then charging me fees that are from someone using a closed account 6 years after I closed it. (Was an active member the whole time) Then saying there is nothing they can do because it was 6 years ago and they no longer have a record of it and it's too late to order an investigation. Even though I had proof that I didn't write that check. I said, "you didn't let me know about this till 6 years later." They said, "I'm sorry, but there is nothing we can do".

They hold checks and don't tell you they were processes until after they charge an overdraft fee. When you call them on it they say "Responsible people know when and how much they wrote a check for. I'm sorry, but there is nothing we can do". I walk in showing them that they are reordering transactions so the largest gets pulled out first so they can charge more overdraft fees. For example: If you have $100 dollars in your account and make 4 transactions in the same day for $90, $5, $5, $5. They will ALWAYS process the $90 first so they can hit you with 3 overdraft fees as opposed to 1. I show them that this is always how it goes. They say, "We are sorry but responsible people know how much they have in their account and we have no control on when these charges post, there is nothing we can do."

It obvious how they make their money. It really is quite the racket. What happens is if you overdraft by a dollar they charge you 37 to borrow you that dollar. It's not interest. It's a flat fee. Look up how much banks earn in overdraft fees per year. Billions taken from people that, by definition, have no money. I get it. I really do. If they don't charge people overdraft fees everyone would overdraft. But their methods are sickening. There is a special place in hell for bankers.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I just got a letter from TCF, October 20, saying a recurring transfer that was scheduled for August 29 was not made because of "an unexpected error." In fact, the recurring transfer was not only missed on August 29, it was wiped out altogether, meaning the transfer for September was not made either. That's seven flipping weeks between the time this terrible error occurred and the time I was notified. I agree with others' comments about the new online system. I didn't know they had switched my account over until I was unable to log in to my account. Once I was set up on the new clunky system I couldn't navigate. Absolutely terrible.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I enrolled both my personal and business accounts at TCF in their new online system. The personal account didn't fundamentally have any errors except the system itself is far inferior to the old one. However, in enrolling the business account's data was completely lost. No transaction history at all and transfer accounts that had been set up were gone. I had to call them four separate times just to get 60 days of transactions put back in the history (they claimed that's all that could be done even though my personal account has all transactions from the beginning of time available.) When I called a 5th time regarding the transfer accounts that had previously been set up they said that service (to transfer money to an outside account) was no longer available!

I have accounts with other banks and ALL let you transfer money to an outside account, and THIS WAS TO ANOTHER TCF ACCOUNT! They told me if I wanted to make any transfers from the account I had to call or visit a branch! So basically, the online system is useless. I called their main customer care line to discuss all of the issues I had. I left a voicemail, no one returned my call. I called again and was left on hold for nearly an hour listening to a recording telling me how I could use their online system to get whatever I need! WHAT A JOKE! Needless to say, I am looking for a new bank.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Worst bank ever! Just found out I had something on ChexSystems after pulling all reports and lo and behold it was TCF Bank 2 times! They should be shut down after my 1st experience with their constant balances being incorrect. Holding my deposits for days and telling me my money was there but it didn't show online. After purchases I was hit with numerous fees and then magically my deposit went through and I was in the whole hundreds! This occurred on a regular basis. Then supposedly I opened another account and I owe almost 200.00? Then reported me to ChexSystems and now I can't open a damn bank account. I rather chew off my right hand then let them get another penny from me! I have written letters... we will see where it gets me but I'm not an idiot and have already retained legal counsel. I'm ready to sue.

TCF Bank Company Information

www.tcfbank.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.