Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I used this service for years with no problem. This year Liberty Tax Service took over and it has been a complete nightmare. First the customer service is HORRIBLE! Especially the chat, takes forever for them to answer each question. Then my filing was rejected because they needed me to email a photo ID and a utility bill to verify myself. Now that takes 3-5 business days to clear, delaying my tax return even longer. Do yourself a favor and use ANYONE else.

Their online forms and set up this year is absolutely ridiculous. So many issues with them every time you log in to your acct. They are saying something is duplicated or it's entered incorrect. I have used them for 8 years and never had these issues til this year.. now that liberty tax has bought them out. They need to fix these issues if they want to keep their customers.

I have used them on and off the last 10 years. I never had Any issue, always assisting when asked. Now liberty tax has taken over, I used them this year. So far so good.

Something called Taxbrain slammed my Turbotax account this April, 2010, billing me $40 on top of the $54 I paid Turbotax. No one at either business seems to want to make right this unwarranted credit card charge. I strongly advise everyone to avoid doing business with Turbotax, as its records are obviously available to this unlawful company, Taxbrain.

I was charged $40 by Taxbrain, which appears to be a bogus company that preys on Turbotax users. Since Taxbrain refuse to respond, I'm finding it impossible to get this off my credit card.

I need a self picking pin number. I have tried several pin numbers. It will not let me choose one. I can't get through to live help. This is an annoying problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxBrain?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

When I filed my friends taxes with taxbrain it should have been very simple instead it was time consuming and they charged more than the advertisement stated, on top of that his taxes were rejected by the irs and he is still waiting for the return which was e-filed the first part of January using taxbrain. He also hasn't received his state taxes which I can't even find on the website, but taxbrain said they would file them as soon as my state e-file service became available. Also, taxbrain uses santa barbara bank for their refund transfers. Their advertisement said he could get a refund in 2 days, santa barbara bank only receives deposits from the irs one day each week, how then can a person receive their taxes so quickly if they must first go through sbb.

I went to the IRS e-file web site and log on a company to file my son's taxes. He has a very simple return. I selected It was very time-consuming and after a spending hours on the site, I get close to completion, it says to e-file the federal I must do the state, so I continue on. The web site tries to tag on more and more fees, which you have to change so you don't get all these charges, without knowing it. I wind up being charged $25 for a form that gets rejected by the IRS and all these forms. I couldn't e-file the state. I did make an error in putting in a number. When I ask for help, they gave me the answer that I would have to go to the employer. So I just telefiled my son's tax, took 5 minutes. I did complain to the company and then they offer on how could easy it is to correct the error I made. I am more upset that this company gets advertisement by the IRS to rip off people. What was interesting is that I could just automatically log on until I needed help, then my access was more difficult. I will dispute the charge on my credit card but feel as a consumer I have no rights.

Expert Review

Melissa Hincha-OwnbyTax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.    More about Melissa→

Taxbrain is one of two brands owned by Petz Enterprises LLC, a family-owned company with more than 35 years of experience in the accounting and tax industry. In 1998, Taxbrain became an IRS Authorized e-filer and in 2000 the online tax preparation software was launched.

• Prior year returns: Taxbrain customers can file taxes going back five years.
  • Online tools: Free, online calculators help customers choose an appropriate W-4 withholding and estimate tax refunds based on the new withholding figure.
  • Comprehensive support: Unlimited US-based live chat, phone, and email support is provided to all Taxbrain customers.
  • Free files: There is no free file option for 1040EZ customers. The basic package is $14.95 for a federal return and an additional $29.95 for a state return.
  • Military discount: TaxBrain offers a 20 percent military discount.
  • Best for Families and High Income Individuals