1.05/5
Based on 37 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

43 Student Assistance Corp. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 28, 2012

For several months, I have gotten 3 to 5 calls a day from this number. They are asking for my daughter Chandra who lives in Maine and hasn't lived here in many years. I have spoken many times with several of their operators in the last month or so and have informed them of this each time. Apparently, my daughter is behind on a student loan payment. They wanted her personal phone number but, for understandable reasons, I refuse to give them the information. They refuse to stop calling me and can be quite rude about it! I suffer from a rare auto-immune disease which is very painful and tiring to say the least. I have had 4 big spinal surgeries and don't need this burden! Wish you could help. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2012

There was a message left 1-26-2012 on my answering machine saying I needed to call ** as soon as possible. When I returned the call a man answered the phone with a string of obscenities ending with “don't ** call back” before I could say anything. I was in shock. I checked the caller ID thinking I had called the wrong number. So I tried again. The same man answered with another foul mouthed greeting and hung up. Later the same night my mother-in-law received a call from the same number saying that she needed to pay her ** school loans. My mother in law is 80 years old. My son has school loans but is current with his payments. I'm not sure why these people are calling and using the language they used.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 9, 2011

Student Assistance Corp. calls multiple times per day. They are trying to contact me regarding a student loan. I do not have any loans with them and I am not due to pay for another 6 months. I believe that they work for Sallie Mae. Additionally, the staff (Melissa) is rude and aggressive and they would not tell me the reason they were calling until I verified my address, birthday, or social security number. I refused and asked to speak with a manager. He (Sean) also refused to give me any information on why they were contacting me and where they got my information. Finally, I was given their website http://www.studentassistcorp.com/sac/index.asp and the number 866-241-0642. I filed a complaint at **. I hope you will do the same.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2011

I was contacted about my mother's student loan who lives in another state and did not give my name as a reference.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2011

Student Assistance Corp. calls multiple times per day. They are trying to contact my son, who is 28 and married and living in Indiana. I live in Oregon. I gave them his telephone number, and they said that it was the number they already had for him. They told me I needed to have him call them. I told them this was between they and my son and that I didn't want them to call me.

They then started to insult my parenting, saying that they would think if as a mom and I loved my son, I would want to help him. I told them they were violating the Fair Credit Act by harassing me, and they told me they could call me as many times a day as they liked. I asked for them to take my name and number off their list, and they said they would. But they keep calling. I have asked twice more to be taken off their list.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Student Assistance Corp.?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2011

This bill collection agency has the wrong person. I do not owe any outstanding monies to anyone. They obviously have not updated their info. They have called 2 to 3 times daily over the past few weeks, the last time being tonight at 8:55 pm. The number that comes up on my caller ID is 866-905-8941 and the name is USA Funds. But the name they leave when they leave a message is to Student Assistance Corp. at 800-635-3743.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2011

I have continuous harassing phone calls asking for my address, birthdate, Social Security number, supposedly in order to verify that I'm the right person.

When pressed, they said that they're collecting on a $30 payment more than 200 days past due to Wells Fargo. I did owe Wells Fargo $30, six months ago, but have since repaid the loan and received a letter from them as proof that I have paid the loan in full. I even called Wells Fargo to be absolutely sure.

SAC continues to call me, and when I try to explain, they threaten to keep calling me until I provide the information they're asking for. Every SAC representative I have spoken with has been extremely aggressive and has hung up if I start asking questions. I have no reason to believe that this is not a scam. I've managed to avoid economic damage by not giving them the information asked for, which I assumed, they would use to scam or further harass me.

I might have to change my phone number if this persists. Sallie Mae needs to be accountable for this.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2010

I have been unemployed since 06/14/2009. I am receiving $233.00 a week on unemployment. Several times I have filled out unemployment deferments with Student Assistance Corp. And yet they still call every day, several times a day, sometimes at 8:30 at night. They keep telling me the papers were missing something or filled out wrong, even though I have had them on the phone helping fill them out with the correct dates.

If I had an extra $1000.00 lying around, I wouldn't be behind in my bills or be overdrawn at the bank. Is there anything I can do to rectify this problem? The harassment needs to stop. I don't know how many times I can tell them I have nothing. I am lucky to have a roof over my head. I can not help it if they keep telling me they will garnish everything I am getting. There is nothing to get.

Original review: May 28, 2010

I keep asking for Income Based Repayment from these morons. I'm on unemployment. I have no job. I make $180.00/week. I got the initial loan from Citibank. And no matter what I say to these idiots, they tell me there is no such thing. I have other student loans that are in income based repayment. But these little hard heads don't give me income based repayment or stop hounding me. Student Assistance Corp and Citibank should be closed!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2010

These people work for Sallie Mae and I guess other state guaranteed loans. I owed $370 a month for November, December and January. I made a phone payment of $500 on 1/5/10, which came out of my bank account immediately and then mysteriously vanished. I got phone calls night and day, 7 days a week, which should not have happened if they had credited the $500.

Eventually I started raving and told them I was recording the calls, trying to find my payment (I wasn't) but they immediately hung up when pushed to tell me where it was. They mentioned loan number 1 and loan number 2 (ultimately the same) and said it had been transferred to the wrong one. Got many, many conflicting stories. Finally, I called the State of Oklahoma and within the hour the $500 was found and applied to my loan. I didn't give up and roll over, but most people would have. How many people have they scammed like this? They would send me no documentation, etc.

The day and night harassment, 7 days a week, had no right to occur. I have two kids with autism and my hubby is disabled. I type for a living out of my home. This resulted in my losing ground on that work as well as stressing my family out.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2008

This company keeps calling our home phone, asking for someone we've never heard of. We have repeatedly told them no one by that name lives here, but they ask for a social security number to verify that we aren't the person they're trying to contact. Of course, we refuse. Sometimes it stops, but after a few months, they start to call again - sometimes even daily. They refuse to give any info about the address of their company so we can write a letter of complaint. They insist they aren't bill collectors and ask for info about who we are. Yet, they say they don't have to tell us anything about who they are. I've learned they're part of Sallie Mae, involved with student loans and are unaffected by the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act) because they help people delinquent in payments, and aren't debt collectors. Regardless, the effects on us are the same - nuisance phone calls that we can't stop.

Original review: May 22, 2008

I consolidated my student loans with this company around 2005. In September 2007 I noticed my monthly payment had increased without any notice. When I contact the student loan company to inquire why the increased payment, I was informed I was on a graduated payment plan. I told them I did not believe I had signed up for the graduated payment plan and was quite upset this had taken place. I was told I could lock in a payment plan, meaning my monthly payments would be the same for the life of the loan and that it would only take a few clicks of the mouse to change the payment plan.

I stayed on the telephone with this person, who was actually quite rude, while he made the changes and told me it was completed and the payments would now be the same from that point on. On May 22, 2008, while checking my bank statement, I noticed my student loan payment had increased again. When I again called to see why, I was told that even though I had called back in Sept 07 to lock in the payment for some reason it didn't get locked in until May and they had no idea why.

The constant worry and concern of what is going on with this student loan can be overwhelming. I have never been able to get a straight answer from anyone there at any time I have called to inquie on this loan. I am deeply concerned of fraudulant mishandling of the student loan and how this is effecing the long term of the loan.

Every time I call I am met with rude customer service person's and they seem to resent it when I ask questions about my loan and as if they don't have time to explain what is going on.

Original review: May 11, 2003

On 5-1-03, my neighbor from across the street rang my doorbell. I opened the door and he informed me of some storm damage to the front of my house. He also handed me a piece of paper with the words Beth, SAC, and 1-800-635-3743. I read the number and could not believe that a neighbor that I could not greet by name was handing me a message from a creditor. I was very,very embarrassed. I politely took the paper and returned to my home.

While this was extremely embarrassing, I found it perplexing since SAC had my home number. Earlier, that day I had spoken to a female regarding my husband's delinquent student loan account with Citibank Student Loans. She stated that she was with SAC, the gauranteor of those Citibank loans. I explained to her that I had already applied for total loan consolidation through Sallie Mae. This is a 4 to 6 week process. The next morning I called the number and asked to speak with Beth. The woman stated that no one by that name was there and offered to assist me.

After hearing my complaint about their company calling my neighbor, she referred me to a supervisor. The supervisor's was Irene Ederett. (It was hard to comprehend the correct spelling because she spelled it fast. I asked her to repeat the spelling but, she again spelled it fast). I proceeded to explain my complaint to her but, was bluntly interrupted by her confirming my telephone number and address.

I explained to her that I felt that receiving a message from our neighbor that a creditor had called violated our right to privacy. I told her that I wanted to report their company and I asked for Beth's last name. She refused to give me her name and said all that I needed to know was that Beth was an associate. She said go right ahead and make my complaint because they had a legal department. too. She said that they were within their rights to call my neighbor to leave a message. I told her that we did not even know that neighbor and that I should not be getting a message from neighbor regarding a creditor becuase SAC had our number. I explained to her that I myself had recieved a call from thier company the day before. I told her that I did know that I could at that time ask her that from that time on to only call our house regarding my husbands account. She said that I was wrong about that. too. She said that they were trying to help us. I told that I felt that our right to privacy had been violated and that the only thing that they had done was embarrass us by calling neighbors. I told her that I would look further into this matter. She said that I should go right ahead.

My husband and I have relocated to Jackson, TN where he is a cardiologist. Our furniture was moved from Nashville on the eve of Thanksgiving 2002. I home school our children and am usually her throughout the day. We also have an answering machine when we are unable to receive phone calls. Calling our neighbor was not necessary. Jackson, TN is a small town were everbody knows somebody who knows somebody. My husband and I plan to live in this neighborhood for sometime. Our children will interact with other children. My husband is trying to build a new practice and contribute to this community. He is also trying to make partnership and establish a respectible reputation. The actions of SAC have embarrassed us to the point that we can not know if our interactions and/or reputations have been negatively affective.

Student Assistance Corp. Company Information