Sterling Bank & Trust

Southfield MI

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In May of 08, I rolled my IRA over to Sterling Trust. Sterling Trust was to use the IRA money (29K) to buy gold from Superior Gold (now 2011 in receivership). For three years, they sent us statements and billed us 100 dollars a year for maintenance fees. Always the statements said pending. Now they write us a letter saying that Superior Gold never sent them the gold. We could be out our investment?

We took over an existing business which had this merchant services and also sign-up as the new owners.

Sterling trust has not release or put our money they have processed from the 1st day we started. the rep - Sarah won't call me and i have talked to melissa in IT - she called twice to tell us - they need the old owner to write a letter with driver's license photo to let them know - she is not the owner and to release the money to us the real owners of that money. She called again and wanted it rewritten. that was not good enough. the risk dept wanted to speak to her - she did. they still won't release it. Who can i get help from? A legal govt agency who will help me and go after them so they don't do this again to anyone else.

I keep receiving phone calls from a collection agency(automated)stating that I have an account past due with Sterling Bank And Trust. I didnt catch the full name of the collection agency but when prompted to speak to a person the line hung up on me. My biggest problem is I dont know Sterling Bank, the collection agency, or have any idea what they are speaking about. As far as I know I have no account with either of them. I would like to know if they have the wrong William Nichols or if there is something out there that I am unaware of in my name.

On 8-14-2002, I contacted Sterling Bank and Trust; in reference to an error on my credit report- they have my account mark as a charge off instead of as Bankruptcy Chapter 7. I spoke to Mr. Vercammen, and asked to please change the acccount to the correct information.

He said to me that he didn't have to change the status of the account- to ANYTHING..and that I was just a "DEADBEAT"!- I became speachless, and said to him I hope that you have to look at your mother everyday and say " Mom, are you going to live?" because thats what my childern said to me when I became ill and lost my job- and could not pay they bills where I then had to later file bankruptcy. We got into heated arguement at that point. I just hung up, called back and asked to speak to his supervisor. I was given the name of Tom ****. I left a voice-mail with my name and number on it- he has yet to call me back; I've tried to reach him again yesterday the 8-15-2002. I have filed a complaint with FTC ref#****

I hereby would like to cancel my account in full with your organization. Please forward my securities to the above mentioned address. I am taking this action in reference to your recently sent statement. I am charged a late fee of $25. I disagree with such charges with the following reasons.

I tried to make my payment online but your specified channels would not accept my account # as a valid account number.

I went to a closed Western Union branch and tried to make a payment with a $15 processing fee, but their system did not recognize my account number.

I called your customer service line and wanted to pay my $31 bill with an electronic check, but they would not accept it.

I also offered to pay via PayPal.COM or C2IT but nothing was acceptable.

I was not told up front about such charges when I was in the process of establishing this secure account.

I have already paid you a one time fee that is reasonably enough for your company profit and account administration of a secure credit line. Your services are not up-to-date and also they payment services that you offer with such huge processing fee at least did not work for me.

This all issues or on the record in one way or the other. I hereby request to cancel my account with a full refund of my securities. I am enclosing my credit card along with this application as instructed by your customer service center. An immediate response with in 10 days will be highly appreciated?

I sent out the above request for cancellation, but did not hear anything back until I called and asked. I was told that my account is closed and no one had any information if I am going to get my money back or not. Then I talked to another line and I was told that I will be getting my money back near the end of 60th day (not within 60 days).

As I am moving out of my apartment on Nov. 28 and that is why I started this process on Oct. 1, 2001 to get my money back before I move. Then I wanted to talk to the supervisor to make a special request that I would appreciate, if I could get my money before Nov. 28 which is almost 60 days, but he would not promise anything and said I should read my contract. I said I read my contract and the contract said with in 60 days but he said no it says near 60 days. (an amazing person) then I asked him for my balance and he said that I was charged $25 late fee according to my agreement for the month of Sep. 2001 and then another $25 late fee for nothing (no transaction) in Oct. 2001 while I had already submitted account cancellation request on Oct. 1, 2001.

The supervisor told me that they do not have any online payment options and I am telling him a lie. I asked him that you provide this option through your website and Western Union and he denied. I asked him at least 5 times and he consistently denied. I asked him that after trying internet option (see my above application) i went to a close by Western Union to pay my bill, but they could not even recognize my account number. I was so upset that I want to pay a $31 payment in time with a processing fee of $20, but still can not make the payment because the system would not recognize my account.

This is not my mistake and I did not have to go through this process or hassle anyway. Supervisor was treating me like nothing, I told him that I am ask him for the last time, if he would like to reply to my request for cancellation in writting where he or sterling bank & trust would answer my reason to cancel my account, but he would not listen. I asked him once again "Sir, I am asking you for the last time, why you are not answering my reasons in the cancellation letter for cancellation of my account and business with you?" He kept on saying you were late and why did I gave my SS number to the Western Union.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sterling Bank and Trust?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Sterling Bank & Trust Company Profile