3.00/5
Based on 5 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

5 Square One Resolutions Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I sent inv. to creep in Germany to sell vintage item. Long story short, he gets it, sends me email stating he got it, then few days later puts in claim that he has never received it!!! Square Up/One emails me for any docs I have. I sent them proof of delivery, plus all correspondence (emails) and email stating he got it and is very happy with it! They tell me it takes 3 months. 5 days short of it being 3 months, and couple calls I made before then, I S/W dispute dept. Gal there says, "Oh yes we are corresponding with American Express." Called again S/3 guy, "No we are not corresponding with A.E.," We wait until 3 months then we hear from them. Well I called n S/W A.S. For half hour guy is so nice there, tells me, "Ask them for original notification from us that contains buyers 15 digit cr number, because you have that right to do so."

And they dont take 3 months for a non fraud claim, only about one month or less esp. if provided with info. I told them I provided Square Up/One with!! I called S/W Rachael, and she became irate, esp. towards end that I told her I am recording this convo, since they claim they are also recording. So she ended the convo with me. Just as I thought, they either are holding my hundreds of dollars, because they are collecting interest from it or they plan on keeping it. Because A.E. said the reason he cannot find claim/Dispute because its been handled a long time ago.

I will now be contacting FDCPA and I will get my monies back! A.E. was gonna do a "reverse search" on the cr card number, but obviously Square One/Up doesnt want to be caught in a damn lie!! So no info was given me. I will now have my brother in law get involved as he is an attorney, I rest assure you I will get back more than $450.00. I dont recommend them, they are as crooked as the other big timers.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Over 17 months in the program no settlement done. Navient offered me a settlement and when I said yes Square One Resolutions took two weeks to respond to my email and another month to give me an answer. I didn't get a settlement from Navient. Square One Resolutions showed lack of urgency to my student loan issue. Navient was calling my in laws and they expected me to wait 24 months to deal with these calls and pay them $150 a month for no communication. PLEASE DONT JOIN THIS PROGRAM. Negotiate your settlement yourself and save money for your settlement downpayment. This will save you time and money.

Get expert buying tips about Student Loan Consolidation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I had never heard of someone getting their private student loan debt reduced, so at first I was worried that they were a scam, but I was so wrong. They spent a great deal of time explaining things and that there are specific strategies used to get private student loans reduced. I enrolled and one day they sent me an offer and I couldn't believe it, it was to pay back less than half my loan. I had just gotten my tax return and I was ready to take the deal, but they said to wait until the end of the month because they might be able to do better. They had me write a letter about my medical condition and then sure enough by the end of the month I had a settlement deal to pay only 34% back with a reasonable lump sum and the remainder over 7 years. I saved over $100k!!! I told Navient about my medical condition at least 5 times and they never cared. I don't know how Square One Resolutions did it, but it worked and I'm really happy I stayed in the program.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I was looking for options on my Private Student Loans and they were very patient and helpful. I now know what needs to be done. I thought the process was going to be complicated, but they made it easy to understand. I will definitely recommend them to my friends.

Original review: April 12, 2016

My grandson got a student loan. They needed a co-signer. My mistake. He failed. Made no payments. Contacted Square one. Sallie Mae made offers. Square One kept telling me not to pay which is what I wanted to do. It has been written off. At 73 I have lost my credit that was almost 800. Now 343. Dishonest company. No action. Just a monthly bills to them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square One Resolutions?

Square One Resolutions expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Square One Resolutions specializes in solving student loan debt. The firm gathers the client’s student loan information and additional details and works with attorneys and lenders to resolve the underlying debt. They have a variety of programs designed for the individual’s specific situation.

• Services: Square One offers private student loan protection, school closure services and federal loan challenge repayment options.

• Support: Clients have access to customer support online or over the phone.

• Custom plans: Square One provides custom services that fit with each client's individual needs, so fees are unique for each consolidation plan.

• Focus on for-profit school loans: The company targets for-profit schools to hold them accountable and challenge the debt of their former students.

• School closure services: Square one helps former students of closed private schools interact with the Department of Education to reduce and possibly forgive the individual’s qualifying federal loans.

• Federal repayment challenge: Square One helps students petition the department of Education and seek loan forgiveness under a specific provision of the Direct Loan promissory note called the “defense to repayment” if they believe the school’s federal loan actions were in violation of the law.

• Best for: former students of private institutions of higher education with excessive student loan debt.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg
Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor

Square One Resolutions questions and answers

What problem is Square One Resolutions trying to solve?
Too many people who attended a for-profit school have debts that they cannot afford and that they should not be even asked to pay. Yet, collectors seeking payments on for-profit school debt do not stop, even though the schools made promises that they could not keep. Our company seeks to challenge the ability for a collector to even ask for more money and reduce the student’s payments structure and overall debt burden.
What sets Square One Resolutions apart from the competition?
Some companies consolidate student loan debt. Some companies engage the collectors directly to settle student loan debt. Square One Resolutions gathers student information, and through collaborations with consultants and attorneys, directly challenges lenders and collectors in their abilities to collect at all. Square One Resolutions charges for these services, locking in an interest-free payment plan that saves students upwards of 60% over the life of the original loans they entered into.
What needs does Square One Resolutions fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Many former students of for-profit colleges in America have been sold a worthless degree at a premium cost. In seeking to better themselves and their families, they entered into crippling student loan agreements, added no real value to their resumes and then were forced to fall back into the same low-paying jobs they had before entering school. Our company is the only company in the country that will accept a significantly lower payment from the student and promise them that that payment is all they will ever pay. And they won’t pay the lender. It is new. It is innovative. And it can be scary to new consumers. But we are undaunted. This system of over-lending, of promises of jobs that never existed must be challenged. It must end. And we will be here.
How does Square One Resolutions measure success?
Client satisfaction. Period. We seek this through the forced cancellation of underlying debt through the collection of client information, school and lending experience.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Consumers do not trust the promises made by companies in this industry. Unfortunately, there will always be bad actors, taking advantage of those that are just looking for help with their payments. We stand by our promises and make guarantees that the only fees paid by the consumer to us are the only fees they will pay in the entire life of the loan from the school or lender. No payments to the lender. No payments to the school. No payments to lawyers or to courts. No exceptions. Ever.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
This industry has changed by constantly innovating to match the increasingly-aggressive tactics of the debt collection industry. Square One’s flagship program, Private Student Loan Protection, is a perfect example of this innovation. It focuses on challenging the collector’s right to collect a debt that was most likely based on false promises within the for-profit college lending space.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Square One Resolutions?
Square One Resolutions is on the cutting edge of the challenge-end of the industry and that we take our role in helping consumers reduce their overall payments structure very seriously.

Square One Resolutions Company Information