Smith Barney

Compare Investment Companies

Research top Investment Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

First there was Solomon, then Smith Barney, then Citigroup and now Morgan Stanley. By any of their names, their stock brokerage firm only represents personal losses. Consider why a company needs to have and change its name four times. My personal broker, Richard ** couldn't pick a winner if he bet on all the race horses. In three years, from 2000 through 2003, I personally lost $13,207 without recourse or any return on investment. I have not earned any money through stock investments with their firm, only tax losses. Their former stock analyst, Mr. ** is well deserving of any future punishments that he may receive for his company and public recommendations that only resulted in his own personal gain. Thank you for your consideration, time and understanding.

Smith Barney interfering with medical care - My husband was recently hospitalized and called the office manager in the San Antonio branch to conduct business. He may have called the office 3 or 4 times that morning. In response, someone from the office called the hospital and told the hospital staff that my husband was crazy! If they didn't wish to speak with him, just don't take the call, but they had no business interfering with his medical treatment! The result was a psych team was called in, and now my husband is at risk of being removed from a transplant list on which he has spent four years! Whether or not my husband was mentally impaired that morning, Smith Barney overstepped their bounds in contacting the hospital.

My 1099R is wrong. I've made many attempts to get it corrected, but I'm still waiting. I've had representatives that led me to a website that I wasn't able to get any information on. Why can't I just get my 1099R? I received money from a family member who passed away and I paid taxes on this money, but my 1099R shows that I didn't pay. I'm so mad. Every representative tells me that they show I've paid it, but I can't get them to send me a new one. Now it's 2/19/2012 and I can't finish my taxes. Is this legal?

I’m inquiring for my mother. The mishandling of her funds resulted in net loss of over $90,000 in 5 year period, leaving her with practically nothing. She’s retired and has no 401(k) or pension. The last transaction before closing the account was taking 6 weeks, to move what was left of her money from funds to money market resulting in over $35,000 loss. The communication from Junker was minimal. They never offered to move her money to different funds to protect them somewhat from the bad economy. He handles my father's money (divorced parents) and my uncle's and is in regular contact with them, helping them with their portfolios. Neither one of them has incurred anywhere near the loss my mother did. Her feeling is that since her portfolio was not very big (under $200k to start), he was not concerned in helping her. And from the balance in her account, I feel that's an accurate statement.

My mother is 99 1/2 years old. She had her retirement money at Smith Barney. After an earlier problem, when an associate put a significant amount of her money in a Kmart stock shortly before it's bankruptcy (a problem in itself causing her to be financially hurt), my mother and I had a face-to-face meeting with her new associate. He was told to put all her money in conservative no risk securities and CD's. No more stocks. When her account was recently liquidated to buy an annuity, it was discovered to have shrunk by 1/3 because of losses in the stock market.

I have to seriously question the motivation for an allegedly trained associate to put a 99 1/2 year old woman in the stock market during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. This is perhaps a definition of fiduciary responsibility that I and most of the investing public is not familiar with. Would this constitute elder abuse? My mother is hard of hearing and can become confused on the phone. Did they take advantage of an elderly and overly trusting senior citizen? One third of my mother’s retirement fund was lost at a time when she needed it the most.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smith Barney?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

My mom died in January of this year. Since that time I have been trying to get the money from a mutual fund put into an estate account. No matter how many times I send in the same paper work they claim not to have bits and pieces. I started sending things return receipt requested but the last rater nasty man I spoke with said that was not proof I sent it in. They are attempting to make it impossible for any heirs to claim this money.

I have a stock portfolio and financial management account with Smith Barney. One of my Smith Barney checks was stolen, forged for $3500, and cashed. The perpetrator is arrested on 3 felonies. Smith Barney said they won't take responsibility, and their bank Citi said the same.

A couple of years ago I had approx 100K in my Roth IRA. I wanted that money to pay off my house and buy a new car when I turned 59 1/2. I felt that our market was going to down, I asked if there was an investment that would guarantee my that I would not lose my initial 100K and if I was wrong and the market went up I could still acheive some gains. Smith Barney sold me an annuity from John Hancock. I'll be 59 1/2 in Dec.

I went in and met with my advisor (different guy now) last Friday and asked about my annuity. He told me I didn't have that annuity, what I had would pay me 5% of the 100K for the rest of my life, when I said no, I wanted to take the money out for the house and car he said if I did that I would only get 62K cause the market was down.

On the morning of September 22nd, 2008, I contacted Mr ** who had become the financial advisor and manager of my pension plan account because the previous manager, Mr **, had left the company. He had apprised me that I had sustained very substantial losses and urged me to accept his recommendations to change my stock positions to less risky ones. I instructed Mr ** to give me a more detailed explanation of the events leading to such massive losses. I instructed him to sell a specific list of accounts, most of all, to send me copies of the initial original contract provisions regarding client risk management profile and tolerance, and subsequent modifications, if any. Mr ** ask me if I intended to sue, but pledged to send immediately the requested records and any other that I may require.

Monday the 26th, I have received a phone call by a Mr **, a senior manager at CTI Smith Barney - once again I requested the records of my investor profile ASP. Allegedly he had not records of my previous request but he guaranteed that they would be mailed by Monday the 29th. To date I have not received any of the requested documents. In the present economic crisis I have lost about 50% of my pension plan, far in excess of what a prudent plan of investment would have lost. I am 72 year old in poor health and totally depending on my pension plan for income. It is clear that my instructions regarding risk tolerance were not respected and CTI Smith Barney unwillingness to release the records seems to confirm it.

Smith Barney Company Profile