2. Finance
PNC Bank

PNC Bank

2.9/5 (708 ratings)

About PNC Bank

PNC is a banking service and mortgage provider. It offers its borrowers perks like interest rate discounts, cashback rewards and more. While it doesn’t operate in every state, PNC lets you manage your mortgage payments online. It does have credit score requirements for some of its loan products.

PNC Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I've had a great experience with PNC Bank so far! I have their prepaid card, and it's been fantastic for me. Great customer service, excellent card, I love the tap pay feature available, I've never had one issue when it comes to banking with PNC. I do look forward getting a checking account with them in the future. I do recommend the SmartAccess Card. It's the best prepaid card I have ever used. PNC Bank is wonderful.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Would like to give a great shout out to LEIGH ** from Houston (go Astros) after over a week during the bank transition from BBVA to PNC. She took the extra effort and was able to get a pin # so I was able to log in to accounts. This was after 7 days of aggravation and people just transferring me to a different number and put on hold, for about a total of 10 hours in 3 days. Obvious now that the other people just didn't want to have to go the extra mile. It only took Leigh about 15 minutes and we had the whole situation fixed and logged into new accounts. Thanks again Leigh and hope they appreciate your hard work and going above and beyond especially during these crazy times.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2021

Love the virtual wallet application for PNC bank. Easy to use. Easy to transfer money. Easy to understand your balances and set up automatic transfer to alternate savings accounts or pay bills online. Great application that I feel safe using.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I had my refinance done with PNC bank, the whole process was smooth and stress free, my loan officer was Trent ** and my loan processor was Lauren **, oh my God what a great team they make, I was bombarding them with lots of questions and they were always available and reliable to answer any questions that I had. Trent is a man of his words, he explains the whole process and what is expected. I would strongly recommend him for any mortgage needs. Mrs **.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Took my father into the PNC Ridge Rd. Parma branch to withdraw Christmas money. When we got to the teller my father handed her [with dark hair and glasses] his debit card and driver's license. She asked if we had a withdraw slip filled out, my father said no. We went back to the desks in the bank and there were no withdraw slips, so we got back in line. This time the other girl [with light hair ] waited on us and was very helpful. After the withdraw we sat down and waited to be called into one of the offices [I had some online questions]. We were ignored for 15 mins, they never said a word to us and had no other customers, they hid in a back room. Today I am trying to talk my Dad into closing his accounts and moving over to Chase.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

If I could give PNC's customer service 0 stars I would. I have been a member of PNC since they were national city. My account has been hacked several times in the past few days and their customer service is completely unreachable! I've tried using their call return service, waiting on hold, Connecting with the online chat, No one ever answers and yet they act like they're going to but the call wait time never goes down from 20 minutes. PNC really needs to get their act together.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

I get locked out of my business account at least once a month. I have to go into the bank to unlock it. I was unable to pay my rent on time on several occasions, because of this. I'm unable to do anything online. It is useless. DO NOT use this bank for business.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I paid 3300, (a year's worth of car payments) ahead of time. Not three months later, the car was repossessed. The bank teller told me I could do this. Later, the loan department or the retail branch just stopped doing monthly payments and put it all towards principal. This is a predatory loan practice and has left me without a car. PNC has a clever way of shifting you around to different departments until you get fed up. Always demand to speak to a supervisor as soon as you get on the phone. User's recommendation: Use a different company for banking and loans.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I closed all my PNC accounts a month ago. Now I get a notification my account (closed) has a banking fee and is overdrafted. When I closed my accounts, I received all the correct paperwork that confirmed the closure, the check with my current final balance, and a final statement that showed a $0.00 balance. I made sure I had all proper proof of closure. NOW they're showing me there was ONE PENNY left in the account that kept it open, so they charged me a fee for not having the minimum $500 balance. I called and got it resolved easily, but they claimed they didn't know why there was one penny left. If you ask me, it was done on purpose so they could try and collect fees. I'm pretty sure that's illegal. There was absolutely no reason for my accounts to have been opened with one penny left when I closed all of them properly. PNC is absolutely criminal, even after you leave them.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Hello, I am a business customer. I'm trying to reach someone that can help me resolve a negligent issue. As a valued PNC customer, I trust my finances with your institution. It saddens me that I have been reaching out for almost 2 months for you guys to stop am 7,800 international wire fraud on my BUSINESS ACCOUNT. I have been extremely patient while being assured that everything will be taken care of in timely fashion. I had my wire recalled immediately, before the intermediate bank ever released the funds. So I feel like your wire department mishandled this business wire fraud investigation.

Knowing how fast wires are processed, and internationally at that, before even leaving pnc... This transaction should have been fine tooth combed.. Instead, I get a new bank employee, without any experience to process my wire. I asked her to please investigate and make sure this was legit... With all of the fraud tools that all financial institutions have now, there is no way that account holders should just lose their money to scammers. We put our trust into your institutions to protect us from these types of harm. For your institution to tell me that it's just a loss, is very unacceptable. There has to be consequences. I don't think it's ethical to hold clients responsible for fraud to scammers.. You guys have created a loophole for the scammers to take our money, because they know that you, pnc, will not care basically.

This law needs amendment immediately. I'm sure I'm only one of many business owners who have been scammed. I am reaching out to all platforms for this matter publicly. I have been calling your bank and going in since October 15th, nothing has been resolved.. Y'all have given the scammers time to complete the transaction because pnc wasn't consistent. Pnc didn't make sure that it was stopped. Just sending an email request or 2 and having to wait weeks for no response from pnc isn't sufficient. When you, pnc, have the power to contact the intermediate and the beneficiary bank... This is the worst financial services and advice ever. Someone from corporate escalations needs to reach out to me immediately. I will be sharing this on all social media platforms. Thank you

PNC author review by Barbara Friedberg

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.

• Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.

• Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.

• Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.

• Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.

• Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor