Pioneer Lending Services

Compare Loan Companies

Research top Loan Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I wish that I could put a negative 100 star rating! In 2013 we were attempting to pay our $2000 loan in full but due to a $1000 dollar a day limit with our bank we decided to pay half one day and the other half the following day. We returned to their website to finish making the payment and the 'pay online' feature was nowhere to be found. So we called the customer service number and explained our situation and asked if we could make a payment over the phone, to which they said "sometimes this happens, we don't take phone payments, and you will either have to wait for the pay online option to show back up or send us money through Western Union for a fee". We were also informed by the lady that we wouldn't need to make payments during the next several months because we had made such a large payment but we would incur a large amount of interest that would be added to our bill.

So we began checking everyday for a few weeks to see if the option was back on there and of course it never showed back up. During the time between the first payment of $1000 and the end result we received several bills showing a zero monthly balance due. We finally came to the conclusion that they removed the pay online option because they were going to lose money from our early pay off and knew that we at the time were not happy about making another large payment just to make our payment through Western Union. However that is what we decided to do because we just wanted them out of our lives.

So we called to get all the Western Union info, and literally the following day someone from Pioneer called my commanding officer and told them that my wife had been sending them bad checks (we have never even owned checks) and making false promises to pay (my wife can't speak to them on my behalf), they also said that our $1000 payment didn't go through and all sorts of other lies.

I showed my commanding officer all of the bills that were sent to us, the proof shown on our bank statement that the payment did go through but because they said that the bills were falsified by us and then lied about the name that would show up on our bank statement I was barred from reenlistment and forced out of the military all because they are filthy thieving liars. My advice, DO NOT borrow from these criminals because if you try to pay early and avoid their ridiculous fees you will be screwed over. We now owe nearly $3000 for the remaining $1000 that they WOULDN'T allow me to pay!

I have had two loans with Pioneer while I was in military so allotment took care of those. The last loan I got a couple years ago was after I got out and they charge me 30% interest which is bs. Now I didn't always make payments on time and went about 6 months in one stretch not paying but my dad this last month decided to help me out. So we paid 1750.00 on loan that was for $2000 and MR. ** say it would still be listed on credit report as derogatory and would still need to pay the extra $400 which is total bs that they had told me that 1750 was a settlement offer now stating the 400 need paying I told them it wouldn't be paid my dad refuses to pay it. So I still have balance and they kind of rude about it in my opinion. DON'T GET A LOAN FROM THEM. I might if I get a job think about making payments on the $380 left.

Not only is it expensive, they are horrible at refunding money back to you. This month I was sent into overdraft because Pioneer took out a DOUBLE payment. When I called to try to have it returned back into my account it seemed like I had to jump through fire hoops, and give up my first born just to try to get it situated. Seriously though they asked for bank statements, which I provided several of them that did not have it as marked pending. When I would call to check on it the representative that I spoke with said it was marked as pending, which I was looking at the same one and it wasn't!

Well long story short I didn't receive my funds because I was getting too upset about the situation. I will say that I asked for them to count it for the next month's payment, which she said they would able to do that. Although it seemed as if having the automatic payment would be a good idea it wasn't for me. I would rather call in monthly just so this doesn't happen again.

I took a loan from this company during a PCS when I was in financial need. Then during another PCS, I requested to refinance the amount left for more so I could once again help with some costs of moving from overseas. I was in Massachusetts at the time (a state I later found out they were unlicensed in). The loan officer (or whatever they are called that help with the loan) advised me to use the address they had on record because I was home on leave and would be moving to NY about 3 weeks after. I had no idea they suggested this because I was in MA. I submitted my application with my legal MA address, my Home of Record, and my current leave location. My loan was accepted, all was good. Until just recently when I fell behind on my loan after my allotment canceled. When I called them to try to work out how to get back on track, they told me they couldn't help me or help refinance the past due amount or anything because I was in Massachusetts.

I told them I was in MA at the time of the current loan to begin with and this wasn't an issue then. They submitted my complaint to their legal department, who wasn't willing to work this out. I contacted the Attorney General in Massachusetts to find out what could be done. They have assigned me a mediator to help. I have just recently spoken with them and they somehow have an application that previously stated I was in Massachusetts, but now states I was in NY. This is impossible, I was not living in NY at that time and wasn't even aware of what my address could be because I hasn't even signed in there yet. I have furnished them proof of leave paperwork, orders, etc.

They somehow changed my application to state an address I didn't submit my application under to avoid the fact they operated in Massachusetts without a license. We have the Attorney General investigating this case and are in the process of hiring a lawyer to void this loan, which is what the Mass General Law Chapter 140, Sections 94-110 states is what needs to happen here.

Due to circumstances, my credit score decreased pretty significantly. So in trying to rebuild my credit I took a loan out. I expected the high interest rate but felt it was part of the "game" to get work my way back up. I did appreciate the loan but my concern is when it ended. As I was paying my score was going up, which I was happy about. However when I paid the loan off early, My score dropped like a rock. I'm talking 70 points! This does not make sense to me. My understanding right now, until told otherwise, that something is wrong with this institution.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pioneer Lending Services?

I was denied a loan for $2000 from you. I see that my residence length is an issue. We moved to this apartment in June 2014, 4 days before my official medical retirement. This was a temporary lease since it was the only place at the time that had an apartment to rent while we waited for all my benefits to kick in. My Combat related Special compensation just started getting paid in Feb. I am 100% disabled by the VA, 90% by the Army with 80% being combat related after 22 years of service. I am finally able to move my family into a home that is single story. I have to have neck surgery and am not able to walk up and down 3 flights of stairs anymore, due to my disability. I have used Pioneer loans for many years and have paid my monthly payments on time and even paid some of my loans off early.

Now I don't have moving expenses to move my family into a home so I can finally get surgery on my neck that I injured during my 5 deployments. The only debts I owe is on my 2008 Ford F-250, Capital One Card and Military Star Card. All my other debts like the Dept of Education have all been paid off and I have the paperwork from the Dept of Education saying it has been paid in full. All I am waiting for is my Army back pay which should be here in 30-60 days from Feb 1. As soon as I get it, I was going to pay off both Military Star Card and Capital One on top of a loan to help my family get into a new home.

Please tell me, with me making 4422 in benefits how I don't qualify for a loan when all the bills I have are my truck payment of $699, rent payment of $1000, Military Star Card payment of $35 and $57 Capital One payment which adds up to $1791. If you subtract $1791 from $4422 that leaves $2631 left over, so why can't I get a loan again? I gave 22 years of my life, 13 being active duty which also includes 5 deployments and you can't give a disabled veteran, who has to pay people to help move him and his family due to combat injuries so he can finally get surgery on his neck that has taken him away from being able to be an active part of his 2 year old daughter's life?

I am willing to take $1000 if I have to just to get moved. I was going set up an allotment, as I usually do to pay y'all. I choose to do business with y'all over other banks, loan companies and even credit union. So much for being there for service members and veterans!

I pay each payment on time but they are charging high interest rate where you will never be through and they are like the mob with interest rate that will kill you.

We have not missed any payments at all but they have hit us with interest rates so high that we will never be through paying. My husband is in the Army, they can not tell the correct loan information from my loans and nobody that works for this company can as well. I would love for a lawyer to contact me, this company is practicing unethnical conducts. Plus, My husband and I should have never dealt with this company.

I have a loan with this company for $3,749. Have paid faithfully on my account. I was cut on my hours at work, so I called Pioneer and asked them for a lower payment so my payments were lowered. Then two months later, I was in a better position to pay this loan off. So I called them to ask my pay off. And I was told that it was higher than the first loan.and they told me I had two accounts when I have one account with Pioneer. And I called them quite frequently to get it all straightened out. Finally I got the one loan and still with no satisfaction with my payments and still no pay off. And now with the mess they put me through for three months when I asked them if I had a payment until they straightened out my account if this would reflect my credit and they said no. Well funny it has and I'm writing you to say please help me with this matter. They are wrong and I'm being wronged with this company.

I meet a mortgage broker named Ray **. I talked to him about opening a teen club for teenagers in Ringgold, GA 30736. He told me to call Pioneer Credit and ask for Joel **. He said he had worked with Joel in the past and he would work out a deal with me. I went in and spoke to Joel and he asked me if I was sure I wanted to deal with Ray. He called him riff-raff to deal with. I explain why I wanted the money and that Ray said if I couldn't pay this back he would. I had to put up my 2002 Chrysler Sebring and my teenage daughter's car 1997 Eclipse for the $6700.00 loan.

Well, later I find out Ringgold would not let me put in pool tables nor let the teens dance in the city limits. Ray had me give him $2500.00 for the rent on the building. Joel paid the pawn off that I had on my Sebring and that left me with little. After I realized I was not going to be able to open the teen club, I began to worry about how I would pay the $381.00 a month payment. I then called Ray and asked if he was going to pay the loan off. He said what loan? (Now the jokes on me.) I went to Joel and asked if he could work with me. He said, "Glenda, I tried to talk you out of doing this loan three times." I told him if he knew I couldn't pay he should have told me NO, he could not do the loan.

Well, he worked with me and put one payment at the end of my payments and I paid a payment. When the next bill came due, I was not able to pay and he called the doctor's office I work for and told the office manager he was returning my call. This was a lie. I did not call him. She took a message for me. It wasn't long and another payment was due. I called Joel from my office manager's office and told him I wish I had never meet Ray. He had messed up my finances. Joel said that is enough about Ray, you done this loan and now you need to pay it or I will have to take the cars. I told him I didn't have the money and then he began telling me he tried to talk me out of this three times. He said what bills do you have. I could hear him on a calculator. He was being very hateful.

Joel started telling me how bad I am at managing my money and I started crying. I am on anti-depressants for my sister, brother, and Dad killing themselves. I could not hardly talk. Joel also knew my daughter and I was living out of my car at the time, and I told him I could not lose my cars. He said if you don't pay on the cars you are not going to have a place to live at all. He said I need to stop crying and tell him what I could do. I was so upset I told him I would send two payments the next week I got paid. Of course, I couldn't do that, I am a single mother with a teenage daughter and a now grown son. I have raised them by myself. I told Joel not to call me again at work.

A week or so went by and he went to my mother's home and told her who he was and that he was needing to speak to me. She said she didn't have a way to get in touch with me. Her phone was disconnected. My mother is Manic-Depressed and is under a doctor's care, But Joel began telling her about this black man I got involved with and let him talk me out of 2500 dollars. He even told her about my loan at Pioneer Credit. My mother was so upset she had a breakdown when he left. This man has violated my privacy and the laws that are suppose to protect me against such hurtful and hateful business practices.

During a family hardship, I took two separate loans for $2000.00, totaling $4000.00. The first was partially paid when I took the second one. I originally was paying $188.77 and then when I took the second the payment became $330.11. I have paid well in excess of $8000.00 and they are threatening me because they say that because of interest I still owe them $5,988.41. If I pay them what they are asking, I will have paid over $13,000.00 for a loan totaling $4000.00. When I inquired about the interest rate, the lady couldn't tell me nor will they provide me a copy of the original agreement, which I have misplaced. They have threatened to garnish my pay, because I'm in the military. I have paid off the loan twice over and need advice as to whether they can garnish my pay for interest?? Please help me with this situation as I have a family and grandson that I care for.

If they garnish my wages, my family will not be able to sustain my home life because it is such a large amount. I am being harassed daily and they are calling my family references that are elderly and ill and causing undue worry about my well-being. They are calling my job and argue with me even though I have asked them not to call my job. I have paid them as agreed up to 200% interest and they continue to call my family and job.

A refinance was done over a week ago which included a bank wire payoff to NovaStar Mortgage Inc. Unfortunately the title company did not get a payoff quote prior to sending the funds and just sent the payoff according to the most current information they had (from the credit report). We were unaware there was 6 months remaining on the prepayment penalty to the NovaStar loan. Had we known this, we would not have closed the loan. So, we tried to negotiate with Pioneer Title Company of Walla Walla to take responsibility for not getting a verbal or written payoff from the mortgage company. They should have paid at least part of the prepayment penalty or even the per diem that kept accruing as NovaStar Mortgage would not stop the per diem on any of the payment they had received until it was paid in full.

We made multiple attempts to contact the people at Pioneer Title of Walla Walla, but they were too busy to return our calls in a timely way. The owner was vacationing in Mexico with no one available to make difficult decisions. So the per diem just kept adding up. Finally, the owner returned from Mexico and returned my persistent phone calls just 10 minutes before the cut off time for wire transfers for the day. I called NovaStar to verify the wire transfer details and learned there was just a little time left to make the transfer. I called my local bank to order the wire transfer and learned it would cost $20 to make the transfer.

I decided to call Pioneer Title of Walla Walla to find out if they could do it to save the $20 but Ben was out until after the final cut off time. So rather than risk another day of per diem costs, I did it myself. I've asked Ben Case of Pioneer Title of Walla Walla for a couple things since he refuses to take responsibility for the errors in the payoff: 1) Pay the per diem costs. He says he will pay 1/2 of those. 2) Pay for the additional wire transfer fee. He says he will pay this. 3) Discuss this with his staff and impress on them the importance of getting a correct payoff.

I signed a contract with another company to purchase some computer equipment for our office. I was put in contact with Alan ** at Pioneer Capital Corporation to arrange for financing as this was a very large purchase. The interest rates Alan came back with were astronomical, but we had to sign the lease in order for assembly to begin on our new computer system. I also had to send in an 'Advance Lease Payment' of $1828.10 plus documentation fees.

About 4 to 6 weeks later we were approved for SBA financing at about 1/3 of the interest rate Alan ** had negotiated. We contact Alan who was very accommodating about cancelling the lease and said we would get our advance payments back. This was 12 months ago. I have been calling Alan for the last year trying to get my money back. Every time I talk to him he tells me that he will pull the file and get 'the check in the mail'. This has never happened. Now neither Alan or anyone else at Pioneer Capital will return my calls despite my threats for legal action against the company.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Pioneer Services is a personal loan company dedicated to lending to active or retired members of the military. The company has been in business for more than 25 years, and it has awarded loans to more than 1.4 million military families. Pioneer Services is the military division of MidCountry Bank, a company that makes VA home loans to eligible active-duty and retired veterans. The website provides an extensive learning center with specialized money topics to help the military population.

• Award-winning: Pioneer Services has won awards for its lending, including the Above and Beyond Award from the Military and the Kansas City Business Journal Champions of Business Award.
  • Loan amounts with flexible terms: Pioneer Services offers personal for $1,000 to $10,000 with flexible terms to meet the financial needs of each individual borrower.
  • "Bad credit" loans: The company provides loans to active and retired military personnel regardless of credit score. In fact, Pioneer Services considers factors in addition to credit score when making loans.
  • Fast turnaround: Pioneer Services’ online application notifies borrowers the results of their loan request within minutes.
  • 15-day risk-free guarantee: The company offers a 15-day risk-free guarantee, so borrowers who change their mind may return the money penalty-free with no questions asked.
  • Best for People in the military looking for travel loans, auto loans, debt consolidation or home loans.

Compare Personal Loans