2. Finance
  3. Loan Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.94/5

Pioneer Military Credit was previously known as Pioneer Services and operated for over 30 years as a military loan provider. The company has new ownership and is working to serve installment loans again to military members. The company will exclusively offer fixed-rate installment loans between $500 and $10,000.

BOTTOM LINE

Pioneer Military Credit lends up to $10,000 to military members and offers branch-specific programs. It promises a 15-day return guarantee and provides only fixed-rate loans.

PROS
  • Loans up to $10,000
  • Branch-specific financial programs
  • 15-day return guarantee
CONS
  • Only fixed-rate loans
  • Only for military members

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

What is Pioneer Military Credit?

Pioneer Military Credit is the successor to Pioneer Services, a federally regulated savings bank, which will soon provide installment loans to active-duty and career-retired military service members from all five U.S. branches. Service members will be able to apply for fixed-rate loans ranging from $500 to $10,000 through a quick online application process.

The loans will have a 15-day return guarantee. Service members also have access to a financial and money management learning center tailored to military and post-military life. Similarly to the previous Pioneer Services, the new organization will be federally regulated and protected and be compliant with the Military Lending Act and The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.

Pioneer Services’ military loans helped over 1.5 million military families for 30 years by providing personal military loans, money management education and support for military organizations and causes. The organization was acquired by MidCountry Bank in 2009 and operated as a division of a federal savings bank. With Pioneer Services, lenders received protection from a federally regulated financial institution, and its assurance loans were MLA- and SCRA-compliant.

In 2019, Pioneer Services stopped accepting new applications. Former leaders of Pioneer Services acquired its intellectual property to found Pioneer Military Credit.

How does Pioneer Military Credit work?

Active duty and career-retired service members will be able to apply for loans online through a fast and secure process. Those from all U.S. military ranks and branches, as well as military spouses, will be eligible to apply.

Pioneer Military Credit also connects current and former service members with branch-specific financial programs, including:

• Army Emergency Relief: An army nonprofit that provides active and retired soldiers and their families loans, grants and scholarships for a wide variety of financial situations — all with no interest or fees.
    • Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society: NMCRS is a dual-branch nonprofit providing financial, educational and other assistance to members of the U.S. Navy, eligible family members and survivors in need.
    • Air Force Aid Society: AFAS is an official Air Force nonprofit that works with Total Force members and their families, as well as Air Force widows and widowers.

Pioneer Military Credit loan rates

Though Pioneer Military Credit has not yet released information about its rates, it does mention that its installment loans will have fixed rates and will range from $500 to $10,000.

To stay in the loop about when Pioneer Military Credit loans become available, go online to sign up for Pioneer Alerts. Once they’re released, you can reach out to a representative to get rates, terms and lending amounts you qualify for.

Pioneer Military Credit FAQ

Where is Pioneer Military Credit available?
    Pioneer Military Credit will be available online as a financial service. Service members and their spouses can apply for loans online through a secure and easy process.
    What’s the max loan amount from Pioneer Military Credit?
    The maximum loan amount Pioneer Military Credit offers is $10,000.
    Are Pioneer loans safe?
    Yes. The company has served 1.5 million families in 30 years, and its website is encrypted to protect your data.
    What types of loans does Pioneer Military Credit offer?
    Pioneer Military Credit offers installment loans with fixed interest exclusively for military members and their families.

Is Pioneer Military Credit a good lender?

Pioneer Military Credit has not yet released its services, so time will tell if this iteration of the company works well, but its takeover of Pioneer Services should be a good indicator. It provides loans only to military members and their spouses, so most people won’t qualify, and it offers exclusively fixed-rate loans, which typically have higher interest rates than variable loans.

Pioneer Military Credit Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pioneer Military Credit?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pioneer Military Credit?

Original review: May 20, 2019

This company is very unprofessional! It is clear, through their customer service representatives, that they are not concerned about the customer at all. When asked to speak with a supervisor we were put on a “call back” because every supervisor was “busy.” We never received a callback from anyone. Other than our experience, we have spoke with many others who have dealt with payments leaving their bank but never being “received” from Pioneer! I do not trust this company at all! Do not give them your business. It is a shame to take advantage of service members and their families during times of need.

Original review: May 16, 2019

The entire process was easy and fast. The customer service representative was very helpful throughout the process. She made me feel comfortable and confident that things would go smoothly. I have been using this company for over 10 years now for my loans and I will continue to use them in the future. They do their best to treat their military customers like family.

Get buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2019

It's truly a blessing to have a loan company that is there when you need them. I believe providing many services these days is very challenging. I requested and received outstanding customer service each time. Sometimes when I didn't even deserve it. Thank you Reneah and Terry at Pioneer Loans JBLM/Dupont, WA. To all at Team Pioneer Services "Thank You."

Original review: May 10, 2019

I would like to thank Ms. Teri ** for her excellent customer service. She was very professional with me. I would definitely recommend that her professionalism be emulated by others.

Eddie

Original review: May 10, 2019

I think everything was straight forward. They really kept me updated through out the process. Maybe in the future they can come up with instant/ wire transfers but other than that no complaints... I say give it a try.

Original review: April 18, 2019

These **. I got paid $5 and they took 4 dollars. How can you charge 80%? Last year I got paid $50 and they kept charging me every month until there was nothing left. So I never got to withdraw my money, they took everything.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Next to super high interest rates they do not recognize the servicemen's relief act for deployed Soldiers and Sailors also. Pioneer will pull money out of your bank account if you are behind on your payment. Beware. DO NOT GET A LOAN FROM HERE!!! There is plenty of programs to help in a time of need.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

After a hurricane that my city got evacuated for I didn't get paid for 3 weeks and my car sustained some serious water damage. I wound up taking out a 4200 loan and have now paid over 1500$ worth in payments while my standing balance has dropped down to only $4017. It was such a desperate situation (which is what they look for to take advantage of) that I felt comforted by the fact they spoke like they worked for Military Personnel and were just trying to help. They made themselves out to be something they most definitely were not, these are predatory loans, a person should not have to have a lawyer explain the loan to them just to make sure they don't get ripped off. Especially not a veteran, coming to a place like this that advertises doing business with veterans out of respect for them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Pioneer is absolutely the worst scam. Do not get a loan no matter how desperate!!! Trust me you’ll be paying for years. I've been paying 50 over minimum payment for 3 yrs for a 5000 loan and do not foresee an end of payments with the interest rate. I was told when I applied if I had any issues with payment date to call and they could accommodate but I found this to be very untrue this week. It is a fixed loan they said and am charging my 25 late fee to move the date of my loan withdrawals. Even after being a regular overpaying customer for four yrs no waive of fee was offered. Customer service personnel have zero compassion and will do everything to bleed you dry. Absolutely outrageous the way they talked to me without even trying to mask the irritation in my questions. Unbelievably horrific experience. I beg of all of you to avoid using them for your needs and hopefully they will go out of business!

Original review: March 10, 2018

I paid off my loan early and asked to make sure they would not take the scheduled payment out of my bank acct. They did anyway and when I called to get it refunded they said it would be quicker if I emailed a copy of the bank statement, which I did. It has now been over a week and I still have no refund of said payment. When I checked with them on the status they had not even done anything with my refund and it's listed as pending, with no indication how long it will take to receive it. They charge an outrageous amount of interest and their customer service sucks! I will never use them again.

Pioneer Military Credit Company Information