Disclosures

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Chime

Chime is a financial technology company that aims to provide helpful and easy-to-use online banking services. You can open a checking account, a savings account with a 0.5% annual percentage yield and a secured credit card that helps increase your credit score. Chime charges no monthly fees and no overdraft fees. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are at least 18 can apply on Chime’s website or using its app.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • 0.5% APY on savings account
  • No-fee overdraft protection up to $200
  • Secured credit card with no fees
  • Over 60,000 fee-free ATMs
Cons
  • Some services require direct deposit
  • No joint accounts or secondary cards

Featured Reviews

Verified
Soddy Daisy, TN

Getting a Chime card and account was the best idea I’ve had in years. No overdraft fees, no surprises and the app is amazing!! Big banks scam is but chime is not one of them. I ca...

Verified
Nampa, ID

I have had an active Chime checking account for about 14 months now. All of my deposits, transfers, withdrawals have gone absolutely smooth. The Spot Me feature is amazing if you ...

What is Chime?

Chime is a fintech company partnering with two banks to offer “member-first” banking services online to members in all 50 states. It offers a checking account with a Visa debit card, a savings account with a 0.5% APY and a secured credit card that helps build credit. Other benefits include fee-free overdraft protection, early direct deposit and over 60,000 no-fee ATMs. There are no monthly fees or minimum balances.

Chime is based in San Francisco and has offices in Chicago and Vancouver, British Columbia. Members can reach customer service by phone seven days a week.

How does Chime work?

Chime is not a bank; it’s a fintech company that partners with two banks: The Bancorp Bank and Stride Bank. It's online only, with no physical banking locations. Members can log in to their accounts on Chime’s website or using the app. There are no fees to set up and maintain a Chime checking account, savings account or secured credit card.

To be eligible to sign up with Chime, you need to be at least 18 and a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. with a valid Social Security number. Once you open an account, you get a Visa debit card. You also have the option to open a savings account and apply for a Credit Builder secured credit card. Chime also lets you:

• Set up direct deposit and get access to the funds up to two days early
  • Send (including paper checks) and receive money without fees
  • Withdraw cash without a fee from any MoneyPass ATM
  • Deposit checks with mobile deposit
  • Get fee-free overdrafts up to $200
  • Get balance notifications and instant transaction alerts

Chime accounts

Chime has three types of accounts. When you become a Chime member, you open a checking account and receive your Visa debit card. You then have the option to open a savings account and apply for a secure credit card.

Checking
The Chime checking account has no monthly fees and no minimum balance requirement. The debit card attached to your checking account works anywhere Visa is accepted. You can withdraw money without a fee from any MoneyPass ATM, disable your card at any time from the app and get a replacement card free.

Chime offers an overdraft protection program, SpotMe, which gives you protection up to a limit (between $20 and $200) with no fees.

Savings
Chime’s savings account comes with a 0.5% variable APY. As with the checking account, there's no minimum balance requirement and no fees. There’s also no minimum deposit required to open an account and no cap on earning interest. You can transfer money directly from your checking account.

Two optional savings features allow customers to automatically transfer money to savings. With Round Ups, all purchases you make with your debit card are rounded up to the nearest dollar; Chime transfers the amount to your savings account. The Save When I Get Paid feature automatically transfers 10% of direct deposits of $500 or more from checking to savings.

Credit Builder
The Credit Builder account helps you build credit with a secured Chime Visa credit card. You transfer money from your checking account into the secured account to serve as a security deposit; this money also becomes the credit limit on the card.

You can pay the monthly balance automatically with the Safer Credit Building feature. You can also pay manually. Chime reports to all three major credit bureaus. There is no credit check when you apply for the card, no annual fee and no interest.

Chime fees

Chime has no monthly fees and no overdraft fees. The only fee at Chime is a $2.50 charge for out-of-network ATM withdrawal or a withdrawal at a bank or credit union where you present your debit card.

You can also be charged a fee by an out-of-network ATM operator, third-party money transfer services or retailers other than Walgreens that allow you to make cash deposits to your checking account.

Chime FAQ

What bank is Chime?

Chime’s banking services are provided by The Bancorp Bank and Stride Bank. Both are FDIC-insured; accounts are insured up to $250,000 per depositor.

How does Chime Credit Builder work?

Chime Credit Builder is a secured Visa credit card that is designed to help members build credit. Chime reports to all three major credit bureaus. To apply, you need a Chime checking account and qualifying direct deposits of at least $200; no credit check is necessary.

Once you have the Credit Builder card, you can use it anywhere Visa is accepted and start building credit. Your credit limit is based on the amount of money you move from your checking account to the secured account. There are multiple ways to pay off your card each month, including Safer Credit Building, which automatically pays your balance.

What time does Chime direct deposit hit?

Direct deposit funds are available as soon as Chime receives the payment file from the payer. This can be up to two days earlier than the scheduled payment date. Chime recommends contacting the payer if you have questions about the timing of direct deposit.

How do I add money to Chime?

Members can transfer money electronically from other banks. They can also add money via direct deposit and mobile check deposit and by depositing cash at thousands of retail locations (free at Walgreens).

Is Chime a prepaid card?

No, neither the Chime Visa debit card nor the Credit Builder secured credit card is a prepaid card. The Credit Builder card is secured by the money you move into the secured account.

What are the cons of Chime?

Some of Chime’s services have eligibility requirements. SpotMe, the fee-free overdraft program, requires a qualifying direct deposit of at least $200 over the previous 34 days. Credit Builder, the secured credit card, also requires a $200 qualifying direct deposit.

Other cons of Chime are it doesn’t allow joint accounts or secondary cards, and it doesn’t have a rewards program.

Is Chime legit?

Chime is a legitimate financial technology company working with The Bancorp Bank and Stride Bank, which are both FDIC-insured. Members in all 50 states use its mobile banking services, including Chime’s checking account, savings account and secured credit card, and benefit from overdraft protection, early access to direct deposit funds and easy sending and receiving of money — all with no fees. There are many fintech companies in the mobile banking space; consider comparing Chime with several others before deciding on the right one for you.

Stars Rating

• 6%
  • 3%
  • 1%
  • 4%
  • 84%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?
    Customer ServicePriceOnline & App

Reviewed April 21, 2024

I would have to say I'm a bit confused on the lower reviews. Ever since I got Chime a few years ago it has been absolutely lovely. I greatly appreciate the SpotMe and not having to worry about fees if something goes a little haywire that pay period. There's nothing worse than being charged a $30+ fee for a $5 buck overage. I also have the savings account AND the credit builder card has been a great addition to use for both budgeting and for reporting "on time payments" to provide little bits of credit boosting. I've even had to report a false charge and it was handled with care and took about as long as any other bank's process, and they gave me a temporary credit for the charge while they were researching/processing.

I love that you can turn your cards off individually within the app without having to call, and at your whim; transferring between accounts is SO easy; sending money to friends with Chime especially is also super easy; the friend boosts are so fun, and so many more things have been great with Chime. The only beef I have with it is the inability to search for specific transactions. I hope they'll add that soon, it's grown so much since I first got it.

Get buying tips about Online Banks delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed April 2, 2024

I've had Chime now for over 4 years. I have no complaints, they even alerted me about fraud activity before and prevented any further fraudulent action from taking place. Thanks for being an reliable online banking option Chime.

Marney

So far every bit of information I've received sounds great, but Chime first caught my attention by an ad or a bit of information that told me that Chime would give me aan amount of $200 on my debit card and it would be on there when I received it. Is this a true statement from chime? If it is true, is this a loan? Please, I would like more information about this as or info I saw.

Profile pic of the author.
      StaffProcess

Reviewed Feb. 17, 2024

They paid what I owed, now I owe them. What a great bank that has been for me and my family is very good and you have been very helpful in helping me out with this process and the opportunity for me and my family says thanks.

Reviewed Dec. 4, 2023

If Actions speak Louder than Words; then Chime and its Credit Builder is Top Notch!! Having Direct Deposit with Chime and implementing all the products and services are great. Other banking institutions charge to have a secured Credit Card with excessive fees that nickel and dime the consumer. Chime has no fees plus the CC is an actual CC that is reported to the Credit Bureaus (in the cardholder's favor). This is an FDIC Bank with more perks than others. A Caring Bank for the Consumer!!

Reviewed July 23, 2023

Honestly, as long as you have access to a smartphone this banking app is fabulous! I get paid 2 days earlier than my coworkers, I can deposit checks from my phone, and I can send checks through the mail for my rent. There's no fees for overdraft, which is amazing living in the economy we do now. There's tons of options for ATM with no fees. The only negative is there's no physical branches. But I haven't had any problems with that either. I totally recommend this as an option for banking.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed June 22, 2024

My card was used for $49.90. I contacted Chime. They said they did a query and refused to refund me twice. I called the 800 number for the customer service, spoke to 5 different agents who told me that they didn't know why I was charged and that the bank should refund the money taken. I told Chime, gave them the number to call and they did nothing and refused to pay back the money. I took out the rest and closed my account. Even the name of the vendor sounds fake, "firstpetebooksolutions" and another about serum deals. I think it was their staff that's they didn't investigate it. Even 1 star is too much.

Customer ServiceProcess

Reviewed June 19, 2024

My son sent me $50.00 via Chime. I had to open a Chime account to get it. That process was easy enough. However, I have not been able to access the $50.00. I have to wait for the Chime cash card (which I do not want) to arrive. It has been nearly a month, and still no card. The option to have a check sent to me is only available after I activate their cash card. I tried to call Chime Customer Service, and was on hold for over 30 min when I gave up. The Chime bot is as useless as the worst bots out there. If I ever can get my money from Chime, I will close the account immediately. My experience says to STAY AWAY FROM CHIME.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed June 17, 2024

Terrible customer service! There has been multiple times their representatives have either hung up abruptly or became frustrated and put me on a long hold. Money has come out of my account with no explanation or help.

CoverageStaff

Reviewed June 17, 2024

I have a dispute for $44.92 that was denied because the dispute department there filed it wrong. Then the 2nd and 3rd agent said they corrected it which they didn't. I was also told months ago that the credit builder card had buyer protection so going forward for risker transactions I specifically used the credit builder card. Well I had an issue then disputed it and was told the complete opposite and then the claim got denied meanwhile my electric bill is due and at least with the credit I would have been able to cover it but nope not now. Just liars at Chime and mislead and file improperly. I'm contacting the consumer protections agencies BBB and whatever else I possibly can for both Chime and Strike Bank FDIC until this is resolved.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed June 16, 2024

Chime does not protect their customers. I've had Chime for 4 years, didn't have an issue until recently. Their credit builder did increase my credit and things were looking great. I recently bought a laptop from a third party seller on Amazon not too long ago. When I received it, the screen was cracked. I reached out to the seller, returned it and never got a refund or my item back.

I contacted Amazon, the seller said that the serial number didn't match (which was a lie) they were too concerned with protecting their seller although I asked them to provide proof they returned my item to me. I then contacted Chime to dispute this charge, they refused to protect me in this situation. There was no record of them providing a refund or returning the sent in item, I provided screenshot of the conversation on Amazon as well as the UPS tracking providing proof the item was returned to them and they still refuse to protect their customers. Chime is a scam. DO NOT TRUST THEM TO PROTECT YOU AND YOUR MONEY.

Chime Company Information