2. Finance
  3. Personal Loans

formerly Springleaf Financial

3.9/5 (3397 ratings)
Compare Offers on Personal Loan Pro

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

About OneMain Financial

OneMain Financial offers personal loans online and at 1,500 physical locations in 44 states. Customers can choose between unsecured personal loans, secured personal loans and auto loans. You can secure your personal loan with an automobile, RV or boat. In many cases, loans are available the same day you’re approved. OneMain Financial offers loans from $1,500 to $20,000.

Pros

• Flexible term lengths
  • Secured and unsecured loans
  • Loans from $1,500 to $20,000

Cons

• Charges an origination fee

Bottom Line

OneMain Financial offers secured and unsecured loans with APRs up to 35.99% and terms up to 60 months. OneMain loans have fixed rates and payments and no prepayment penalties.

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

OneMain Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: March 21, 2008

I have been making monthly payments toward my loan, when I asked for a statement of my account. This is so I can see how much interest I have paid and what amount went to the principal. They said that they do not send out statements. I asked for something telling me what I have paid, etc. All I was told is that they do not do this. Is this not against the law?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2008

The amount of charges are greater than the amount to be paid. When we initially made the loan I made an early payment, every payment was always before the due date and I always paid more than the amount of the required payment.

Two times they took every penny for interest. I would have thought that at least the amount made over the payment would have gone to the balance, if only $4! So they tried to explain that because my early payment was so early that the even though the next payment was still early the interest charged all meant that everything I paid them went to interest. OK, I let that slide--Now here it is several years later and AGAIN I paid $500 instead of the $416.68 that my payment should be and they took out $425.42 in interest!

The thing that gets me upset is that how can they take out in interest an amount greater than the payment I was supposed to pay. Especially when I have always paid more than the required amount!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2007

American General Finance has continuously harassed, tried to intimidate me, and has disclosed loan information to anyone who answers my home phone. On Thursday November 1, 2007 one of their representatives, Ismael Arreola, left a message on my voice mail stating my payment had not been made; I had to call back the next day before 5:00 PM, otherwise my car would be repossessed. I know that creditors are not allowed to disclose any loan information nor make threats on any type of voice mails or disclose information to an unauthorized party.

My home life has been affected as information that should not have been disclosed has been causing family disputes, almost got me kicked out of my home. I am stressed, can't sleep worrying about losing my car, and from family problems caused by disclosing information.

Original review: June 28, 2007

A contractor was hired to build an addition onto our home. The contractor led us to his "finance" guy, who would refinance our home with enough to build the addition.

I went to American General to sign papers with my husband, and was told by more than one person at American General that there were no pre-payment penalties after one year.

I now work for Fifth Third Bank, in Tennessee, and it has been two years since we signed said contract with American General. I asked the mortgage department at Fifth Third to do a re-fi on us, and we would be able to escape Amercian General and their ever-increasing rate on the loan.

It has been a couple of days since the refinancing with Fifth Third has been enacted, and I received a call today from Beth, at American General. She stated that there would be an $8000.00 pre-payment penalty, and the contract they have in house states that there would be a penalty. My husband and I had no idea, and felt as if we had been "baited and switched", so to speak.

I want to report this company as a fraudulent one.

Since all of this has transpired, we were told that "Robert", said loan officer, was fired due to unethical practices.

How in the world is a consumer supposed to know the terms of the loan, if they were told one thing, yet signed another?

Please get this message out to all consumers. Alert them as to the fishy practices at American General Finance.

Original review: June 16, 2006

On June 15, 2006 I went into an American General Finance office in Altamonte Springs, Florida to discuss what I believed to be false information on my account. The Branch Manager, Eric Assenheimer was totally disrespectful. He constantly interrupted and spoke over me. Eric then lied about several previous incidents that I brought to his attention to prove the errors in my account. He also continually evaded my request for a supervisor. As a result of my persistence, he eventually, gave me a contact number for the Casselberry branch and told me to

"Get out of his office!"

The following day I spoke with the Area Manager, Carole Jameson and tried to explain what happened. I made sure she understood that after rethinking the chain of events that lead up to this disagreement, I was confused with Erics reactions. I also told her that the only explanation I could think of for Eric's negative behavior towards me was perhaps an incident that occurred during the month of April. I am not certain, but I do believe that Eric may have been angry at me for refusing to redo a loan with him back in April of 2006. Please note that redoing the loan would have put me further in debt with the company. Additionally it should be stated that I have also rejected offers from Eric and other members of the staff on numerous occasions to accept additional loans with the company. American General attaches extremely high interest rates on their loans that make it difficult to repay within a reasonable time. I made the mistake of taking out a loan with them once, but vowed to never do it again.

Unfortunately Carole Jameson, the Area Manager, not unlike Eric was also rude and tried to talk over me. She told me that she had already heard his side of the story. That's when it became apparent that she had no intentions of being objective. She was unwilling to acknowledge any wrong doing or ill treatment by Eric. Apparently his behavior was not only acceptable, but common practice. Of coarse, this only led me to feel attacked a second time by her.

Ms. Jamesons solution to the problem was to simply transfer my account to another office. While I did agree that it would be best, I am not pleased with her condoning improper behavior of employees. As I stated to Ms. Jameson, I was not looking for any monetary compensation or credits to be added to my account for Eric's lack of professionalism. I simply wanted her to understand why I accused him of being deceptive and unprofessional. I also informed her that I was not pleased with the way she handled the matter and would probably pursue my complaint further.

I'm now turning to you to hear and advise me on this matter. I don't know what else I should do. I will be in the position to pay off this loan in a couple of months. However, this is a matter of principal for me. I don't think that it is fair or even ethical to mistreat customers after they are locked into a contract. I refuse to comply with unprofessional conduct or incompetence. Neither will I ever acquiesce to audacious, insolent, nor cynical remarks from anyone to whom I bring my business!

Thank you for taking the time to hear this matter.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2005

Hello,

American General Finance Company
has been a complete nightmare for

my whole family!

My husband and I are victims of predatory lending. American General Finance

Company encouraged us to refinance our home through them. They assured us

that this was the right thing for us to do, and the best thing that we could do.

They promised us that our interest rate would remain about the same, about 9-10% at the most, and the payments would stay around the same, around $450-500 at the most.

They did not tell us that the loan was a revolving credit loan, like a credit card, so that wed never pay the house off. Everything happened so fast, at the closing. After signing the papers, we found out that we had singed to a 14.50% interest rate and almost $750 monthly payment. They also did not inform us that we had three days to look at the contract.

This loan has caused us to almost lose our home of 25 years. They foreclosed on us and I immediately filed for bankruptcy. The original loan amount was $56,000. With all the interests, fines, fees, and costs for their lawyer fees and whatever else they charged us for, we now owe them $72,000 for our home! So even though we have filed for bankruptcy, we are still threatened by the possibility of being foreclosed on again. From month to month, its almost impossible for us to make our house payment, now being $750 and if were late almost $800. I know for a fact that they are just waiting on us to default so that they could take our home away from us! In the last three years we have paid them over $35,000, and we now owe them $72,000, theres a serious problem with this! This is robbery!!! I personally know someone else who has experienced a similar problem with them, and they too were forced to file for bankruptcy. On the day my house went up for sale at the courthouse, there were two other families that AG foreclosed on. One day, while I was making a payment at the office, another customer was there making a mortgage payment too. They were there to make a payment so that they could get ahead on a payment. They told him that was impossible for him to do, because the computer would not allow them to do that. Well, I had the same experience with them. I made two payments in one month, thinking that I was going to be a payment ahead. The next month it was as though I had never made an extra payment, it went towards the interests.

You can imagine how I felt, furious!!! Several times they tried to get me to redo the loan with them so that they could catch me up, but I refused. Instead I tried to redo the loan with other finance companies, and when I did, they made it hard for me to accomplish that. I then found out that there was a prepayment fine or penalty fee of $4,000, along with other fines and fees they were charging me, making it impossible for me to get out from underneath them.

Original review: May 11, 2005

nothing has happened, I complained about discrepancies I found in the final bill after my re-finance (American General was paid off) they have yet to contact me in any way.

the numbers don't add up, it is as if they are deliberately trying to confuse the numbers, kind of like shuffling the figures so they don't make sense.

this was a mortgage that was set up like a line of credit ($90,950), my statement from December indicates that I have $1774 available for cash, but the payoff amount only indicates I have only $727.

the payoff statement also indicates that they owe me money which I have not received. this was in February.

Original review: May 12, 2004

American General Finance was included in my bankrupcy (File date September 22, 1999 Chapter 7 Bankruptcy No. RS 99-20098-MJ). American General Finance then placed a judgment and/or lein against us Reuben H. Acosta Sr. and Mary Ann Acosta.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2003

my father got loan from them and so ddid I my dad's acct is delinquent and when i come in person to pay mine. theyre threatening to put a lien on the property. Thats my fathers personal business. why are they telling me his personal credit problems. they shouldn't tell me anything about my dads account. i would sure be angry if they go around telling everyone's business to everyone.

Original review: March 15, 2003

Approximately October 1997, We secured a loan from American General to pay off our house, that we purchased thru FHA. We also received other funds to pay off bills. At the time of signing we told the American General employee that we would like our payments to fall on the 3rd of each month, and asked if we could have it taken directly out of my Social Security Disability Check deposit. He told us we could set that up later.

Being that it was about the 20th of October, I figured that our first payment would be December 3rd 1997. On approximately the 10th of December I called American General in Kankakee and ask them when I would be billed. American General told me they would mail me a bill befor it was due. Approximately the 10th of January 1998 I called American General and ask about my bill, and I was told the same thing. However, approximately a week later I received a bill stateing that I was would be three months behind on the 21st of January. I also discovered that my home was on a more card, with a finance charge of .015

Original review: March 4, 2003

My mother in law, Mary Whitehead bought something for myself and my husband which he and I found ourselves paying for. A little over a year ago, my mother in law fell close to death with health problems and was in the hospital for several months in a coma. I called American General to ask them to start sending the monthly bills for this account to me at my address so that I could try to keep the payments up on the account since my mother in law was not able to. It took several phone calls but they finally agreed and I started receiving the monthly bills not only to my address but in my name (her name was no where on the bills).

Next thing I know, my husband and I hit a rough patch and some of the payments got behind. Now my husband and I are being harassed by American General and threatened with legal action an repossession of our gift from my mother in law. I decided to go ahead and pay the account off when I was given some money owed to me by a family member and called American General to get a payoff on the account. I was told that I could not obtain that information as the account did not belong to me. Therefore, I sent the balance due on the last statement I had with the memo, paid in full on my check. Several months later I received a letter from American Generals legal department stating I still owed them $73.96. When I called to question this I was told that they could give me no information on the account as it was not in my name. Next thing I know, the account is showing as a very bad mark on my credit report.

I then called American General pretty much raising heck and demanding a copy of a contract with my signature that gave them the right to report this debt on my credit report. After a couple of weeks, I was finally able to obtain from Otie that mine nor my husbands name or signatures were anywhere on the contract. When I told them I wanted this taken off of my credit report I was told that they could not do that. When I told them to send me a copy of the contract so I could show proof to the credit bureau that this was not my debt and therefore was a false reporting on my credit, I was again told that they could not provide me with that information. They claim my mother in law will have to request that info. but she cannot half hear and her mind is not all there anymore. They would have her so confused she would not know what to do.

My thing is, I have been threatened with legal action by them, harassed by them and reported as a bad debt by them but they refuse to give me any information on the account. When ever I call to speak to someone in authority there I am put on hold and left hanging with no one ever picking up the phone and these calls are all long distance. I have given up trying to deal with them because they are now refusing to deal with me and provide me what I have requested.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2003

I was harrassed on my job and at home even though I was not behind-- new management had come into the company-- I had already told him when I was going to pay but he kept calling me at my office and home. I told him it was harrassment and that he shouldn't call again so then he, threaten to write off my account like I wasn't paying but what accually should of happened was that his company should of paid off my bill which was about $600 and sent me the rest of the $2000 dollars as that was and still is the law--but I never saw the $1400 dollars.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2003

I borrowed 5,000 from American General Finance on 10/25/2002. I which everything went find. I contacted the office again and spoke with Eric Washington about adding 800.00 more on my orginal loan. She stated no problem we can add 800.00 on the loan. She stated she would have the people work ready when Mr. Sutton get there. Mr. Sutton stated when he got there all he did was sign the paper work got the check and left.

With the understanding that Eric and I had already discussed the details. When I viewed the contract three days later I coul not beleived what I was reading. She canceled the orginal loan. Wrote up another loan including the interest of the 5,000 and open another loan which left us with a balance of 10,625. She didnot explain this to me nor Mr. Sutton as to how she would handle this. Her honesty is in question and the way they practice.

She didnot explain this to Mr. Sutton. Had she taken the time to explain and not acted as a loan shark he would have declined this offer. On a 5,800 dallar loan we will be paying back 10,625 dallars. No one in there right mind would have did such a thing. I have more concerns and would like very much for someone to contact us as soon as you can. Thank You.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2002

On March 20, 2001 my husband and I went to American General Finance. Adam had called us several times trying to convince us that if we refianced our home with AMG. We were told that we would have an Open End Mortgage and the amount available to us every month would be ($616) for up to 10 years and that each year we would have around $6-7,000 to do with what we wanted and the payment would never change unless we didn't use the money and then the payment would drop accordingly. When we went to AMG to sign the papers Adam took us into an office and explained that our payment would never go beyond $616 and if we would sign that day he would throw in credit life at no additional charge. Disability insurance was never discussed.

It sounded too good to be true but we trusted him and went ahead and signed. We received our first statement which said we had $3288.00 available to draw out anytime we wanted. On April 24, 2001 we withdrew $1,500 for vacation. Adam assured us that we could take the entire $3288.00 and our payment would remain the same. Our first payment was $738.27, when we questioned Adam he said that the payment was so high because there were fees that had to be paid and the fees would be paid in 2-3 months. The first of June the payment was $756.63. We again called Adam and he said that there might be one more month of a higher payment and also on the statement it said we were also being charged for disability & credit life insurance. Our July payment was $781.44.

We again went to AMG and confronted Adam, he said their was obviously a mistake and that he didn't know why the statements were showing a charge for credit life & disability insurance.So he deducted those amounts and said the correct payment for Aug would be $616. He brought us a piece of paper to sign & remove the overcharges and then came in with a piece of paper for us to sign to remove the overcharges and then he brought us a piece of paper that was suppose to be a record of our payment amount that had another couple's name on it. He scratched it out and wrote in our name and then he also gave us the same sheet without the name marked out.

We asked why we were having so many problems with this and he said it was only the 2nd open end mortgage he had done and he would straighten it out. The Sept. payment came due and the amount was $664.69 and we called Adam again and he said he was still working on it and to just pay $616 like he had told us to do the previous month. The Oct statement came due and it was $665.40 plus $48.69 in unpaid charges for Sept. By then we were so disgusted that we asked a friend to go with us that understood financial things better than we did and asked Adam to explain it all to her, which he could not do. So he cancelled the original loan and wrote a new one. He guaranteed that this time it would be right. By then we were so gisgusted that we began looking for another place to refiance our home.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2001

I applied for a Retail Credit Application from Fiber City Sewing to purchase a Bernina Atristic Sewing Machine on 12/23/01. On 12/26/01 I was asked to arrive at the 200 w. Adams office to reapply for my Retail Credit Application. The reason given was American General Financer had lost all records for certification for Fiber City Sewing, and I had to reapply for my perviously accepted loan.

Upon arrival their intake person asked attempted to offer me a personal loan instead of a retail credit loan. I asked him why the change, what are the major differences between a retail credit loan vs a personal loan. He would not give me a definate answer. I asked him again- still no definate answer.

I told him he had better find another customer, and departed his store, and reported his actions to Fiber City Sewing (312)-648-0024. I have over 35 years experience with consumer retail credit loans. Never have I been asked to accept a personal loan,when I have been accepted for a consumer retail loan. This is bait and switch, consumer fraud, and racial discrimination.

Original review: March 6, 2000

I have been making payments on a loan that I borrowed from this company. I make my payments on time every month and I make payments over the amount reuired. I have seen not how my paymnts are applied and have called for a printout of my payments and how the are applied and was told that they do not have the ability to do that. I have asked for a payoff on this loan on more than once and have gotten a different payoff in a matter of days a big difference. I feel I am intitled to a printout of how my payments are applied. I had insurance on this loan which as first was told that I had to have.

I late found out I did not have to have and cancelled insurance. I was to be refunded for that by either doing my loan over because insuruance was added in to the loan amount but did not get anything done until I compained about the payoff amount, than they cut check to refund for the insurance, but than my payoff amount went up. I want a printout to see how payments are applied so I can see where my extra payments are going. I don't think they are applying payments correctly.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2000

THere were several incidences. This is my wifes loan. We got behind and recieved a call from their office telling us they were going to report our car as stolen. (it was the main collatoral on the loan). The police would impound the car and the driver wouldbe arrested if we didn't catch our loan up. A person with the same voice called several times using different names, repeating this threat over the next few days.

I was away working and my wife was traumatized. She was afraid to take her payment in because she might be arrested. She was even afraid to leave the car parked at our home. Next incident. We were a half a payment behind. American Finance in granite city called and said "we can do you a favor and refinance this loan". It'll get you back on track and you should be able to get about 500 dollars cash. I'm a trusting person and said sure. When my wife went in to sign the loan papers, it was only 300 dollars, and by the time they added points, insurances, etc. The payoff on the loan was going t be more than doubled, the payment was going to be higher.

The pay off was going from approximately 2900 dollars to approximately 6400 dollars. It was going to cost over 3000 dollars to get 300 dollars.My wife said no way. then they wanted a post dated check for the loan payment. They didn't get it. THe final incident was today, two weeks after we decided not to do the loan. American general called wanting their payment. I told them I'd be in with in a couple of hours. Justin threatened me saying if we weren't, he'd have my wifes check attached. I snapped at him. Then he said "The attachment would go in this morning". I consider the way they attempted to "help" us with the loan borderline fraud, and the methods theyve used in attempting to collect payments, and I mean payments that are less than 60 days behind, harassing and harmful.

OneMain Financial Company Information

Public
Ticker Symbol:
OMF
1912
Formerly Named:
Springleaf
NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
Irving