formerly Springleaf Financial

4.1/5 (490 ratings)

About OneMain Financial

OneMain Financial offers personal loans online and at about 1,400 physical locations in 44 states. Customers can choose between unsecured personal loans, secured personal loans and auto loans. You can secure your personal loan with an automobile, RV or boat. In many cases, loans are available the same day you’re approved. OneMain Financial offers loans from $1,500 to $20,000.

Pros

• Flexible term lengths
  • Secured and unsecured loans
  • Loans from $1,500 to $20,000

Cons

• Charges an origination fee

Bottom Line

OneMain Financial offers secured and unsecured loans with APRs up to 35.99% and terms up to 60 months. OneMain loans have fixed rates and payments and no prepayment penalties.

OneMain Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2010

I borrowed $2000 from American General Finance. I had a two-year note on a personal loan. The following week that I borrowed the loan, I gave back $1000. I was told by the loan officer, if you give back $1000 the following week, I would only owe $1000. So, why on a $2000 loan, two-year note and giving back $1000 a week later, why do I still owe $2000?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2010

This is definitely an irrefutable company! First of all, they approved me for a $5000 loan because my credit is very good and my income checked out. When they found out that I was married, they said that they cannot give me now the $5000 because my husband has to apply, which he did; he has great credit, too. But when they saw our taxes, they took away the approval stating that they cannot tell who makes what because it is joint and my husband owns a business. This is far from beyond unfair. I also just found out that they ran my credit on Experian four times which of course lowers the credit score I was so proud of.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2010

Never fall behind on payments, or its constant harassment. I have 2 rental property mortgages with them. The tenants fell months behind, after losing their jobs. My household income has dramatically been decreased, so I was unable to maintain these accounts. I explained this several times a week to Jason, the manager, and Ryan. They constantly call my home and job, many times a day, even after I have explained the situations. I have made payments from my own home mortgage account. I tell them on Monday, I will be in on Friday, and they will call everyday that week. Since then they have threatened, not only foreclosure, but wage garnishment as well.

They have come to my home questioning my wife, they also stake out my house, to see when I get home. It has been a constant nightmare dealing with this company that our tax dollars, has bailed out of their financial issues. They suggested a short sale, which I agreed to, then they changed their offer and once again threatened foreclosure, which at this point, go ahead. In this economy, think before using American General for any financial needs. This started out as an investment to help pay for my children's college.

A continuation to juggle payments to maintain my household, without falling further behind in my personal home obligations, with 2 children attending college, and having many other needs is stressful enough. My home mortgage is behind trying to pay American General. I lost money every month for 1 and 1/2 to 2 years on these house mortgages, with no relief in sight. They have been up for sale for 1 year now, with no offers, after complete rehabilitation.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2010

I got behind on my mortgage payments due to renal failure and forced to retire. The first six months, I was paid by my company, then long term started, but far less than I was getting, so I fell behind. American General said, I had to catch up or face foreclosure. I was less than a payment behind, when they said no more partial payments. They claimed I owed them 4,992.92. I offered them 3,700 they would not accept it. I have now moved to another home that I now rent.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2010

I took out a loan with American General for $5000. Since the economy is so bad, I took a cut in pay and that is where my problems been with this loan shark of a company. I called them and told them I had to set up some sort of lower payment. They made me answer and submit all kinds of information to "prove" that I was making less money. I did all of that for nothing! They didn’t adjust my payments, and to make matters worse, I fell behind for almost 3 months and they turned around and served me with legal paperwork to sue me! My intention was never to run away and not pay, I simply needed some help with lower payments. All of the staff at the Glendora, CA branch are scam! Jennifer, America, Crystal and Josh are unprofessional and do not know or care how to treat their "customers" They are rude, argumentative and down right scam!

I ended up getting caught up with my payments, which all had to be made in cash! I tried going online to make a payment but due to the "status" of my account I was not "allowed" to make online or phone payments! How pathetic! In this day and age what bank doesn’t allow you to make phone or online payments even if you’re behind a few months! So, I made my 3 cash payments and mysteriously the legal action against me was removed! I will never go back and give them any business. Take away message: Never ever go to American General Finance for any type of loan unless you want a lot of heartache and problems! They are loan sharks and scam!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2010

I have an account at American General, in which was not past due. Ben ** had his wife to contact my wife on Facebook and tell her that I needed to contact him about my loan, my wife is not even on the account. He was upset because he did not process the paper work correctly and wanted to try and make me come up there to correct his mistake. He had not done the title work and had posted a $4,000.00 payment to the account the day that I took out the loan. VHe also called my mother Sandra ** and told her every detail about my account and told her that if she did not have me to call him he would start repossession procedures on my account and the account that she has with them. I know all of this because she told me about the conversation.

Mr ** again on September 2, 2010 and September 4, 2010 had his wife to contact my wife on Facebook about my account.

I was not behind and do not want my business all over Facebook for the world to read. He upset my mother by threatening her her, she thought he could repossess her motor cycle and her car! Your assistance is greatly needed as all of my privacy rights have been violated.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2010

On Monday August 30,2010, the manager Ben ** called me about my son's, (Dusty **) account. He proceed to tell me how much he borrowed, why he was trying to contact him and then proceeded to threaten me that if I did have my son to contact him he would start repossession on both his account and my account that I also have there.

Neither account was even past due. I know mine wasn't and was told by him that my son's wasn't. He was upset about some paper work that he had not processed properly and wanted to threaten my son back into the office. I do not handle my son's affairs nor do I need to know his personal business. I suffer from depression and anxiety, after this conversation. I was upset for 2 days until I found out legally Mr. ** could not carry out his treats if our accounts were not past due. Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2010

I bought furniture with a company that used American General Finance. I called them to payoff my balance and I paid it. Apparently, the person I got the quote from didn't count the amount of interest that was going to asses on my statement cycle so I got like $10 charged in interest. They didn't send me a letter explaining that I was late instead they hit my credit showing that I was late when I asked for a payoff.

I got a hold of Randy, some manager at customer service hell - it is impossible to get anyone to believe you over the phone, they say there are no notes and you call back then someone else says the notes say exactly what I told them. Randy at first seemed nice and said he totally believed my story and was going to send a "correction" to the credit bureaus that would take 2 months.

Working in the financial industry myself I believed his time frame and called it a day. 2 months later, I check my credit report, nothing has changed. Call back and now they will only let me talk to Randy, no one else will help me. I finally get a hold of him and he goes, "Oops", I put in the request but it doesn't look like anyone has processed it."

He said he will process it himself this time and mail me proof that I should have never been late. Oh and I did pay the late fee in full for my $10 in interest, no one told me about because I wanted to be nice and just get it over with. Well, it's 2 months later again and jack has happened again. Now its impossible to get a hold of him. And of course, can anyone guess whether or not I have received a copy of this so called "proof"?!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2010

I am apparently yet another victim of the unscrupulous predator sub-prime lender, American General Financial Services (which is a wholly owned subsidiary of AIG). In the year 2000, we took out an $80K 2nd mortgage loan with AGFS. We have faithfully made payments and have never been late, despite the deceptive practices of AGFS to manipulate predated checks or other tactics to increase interest payments to them. We have begged AGFS for a loan modification due to my job changes and loss of income, specifically requesting that our APR be lowered from the outrageous amount of 12.82%. We went through the Making Home Affordable program to do so.

What AGFS ultimately did was not modify our loan's APR but instead changed our regular monthly payment of $897.35 per month to only $400 per month. But since they did not make any other changes to the APR/etc., this is now only considered a "partial" payment (they consider the $897.35 to still be the actual minimum payment), and thus AGFS is taking our entire payment amount and using toward interest and not principal payments which is our request, except for five cents ($0.05 cents!) for principal payments out of the $400.

We believe that this is an illegal tactic and we want to know who can help us. No other loan company will help with refinancing. We believe AGFS is trying to keep us from ever paying this loan off completely using these deceptive practices and refusing to modify our loan. We are still pleading with them to lower our 12.82% APR; everytime we call, they now say the their "district manager is on disability" and nothing can be done about the APR change until the DM returns. (no specific date on the DM's return, so we could be waiting forever due to this).

We have been dealing with Virginia from AGFS regarding our rejected loan modification request; she was originally the one who came out to look at our home and worked with the Making Home Affordable request. Conversations over the last 2 months with Virginia included her stating that "12.82% was what we agreed to originally in the 2000" despite our current economic situation. After explaining that five cents used toward the principal was unacceptable and a possible crime, Virginia then said she would need their District Manager's approval to consider an APR modification (the same district manager who is unfortunately on disability. No one else is available?) This is the same response from Virginia every time I've called.

Also our account has been switched from AGFS office to office as they apparently are closing offices (our account started in Capitola, then was moved to Los Angeles, then finally switched to the current Fremont CA office). We are being financially raped by AGFS due to their anti-consumer business practices. Our payments to them each month are being used illegally (we suspect) toward interest payments instead of the principle, so its as if we are not paying them at all or will ever get ahead to pay off the balance. Our most realistic expectation is to find out if our payments are being used illegally to pay toward interest VS. principal, to have this nightmarish loan's APR lowered from 12.82% to a more reasonable APR by current standards like around 3 or 4% and to not have AGFS pull some kind of sneaky tactics afterward to have our entire payments again going toward their interest, instead of principal as it should.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2010

Last year 2009, I fell on some hard times. I feel behind on a personal loan with American General Finance. I tried to make payments but I couldn't. In January 2010, a person showed up at my parent's house and served them with subpoena for me. They were rude and imitating to my 73 yr old father. They disclosed that I was behind in payments and needed to show up to court. When my father informed me of this, he further informed me they have been calling him to make sure I go to court. I called Jayne H., and told her how I did not appreciate this, she told me "pay your bills and it won't happen."

I was not in a position to not argue, however, two days prior to the court date, which was 02/10/10, I was called by Jayne where she tells me not to go to court because the case was already heard in their favor. I asked for proof of this court hearing, and have not received anything. Since that time, approximately the $1,400.00 I owed has gone up to $2,655.00.

In an effort to make amends on this loan, today 08/31/2010, I called Jayne and informed her I could start being placed on payments on 09/15/2010. She said, "No, you need to give me some money today!" I told her that I will give her my account number today and start pulling payments out of my account on the 15th, she said, "No, why would I do that when you can't even give me a payment today." I asked her not to be sarcastic, and refrain from belittling my inability to pay, I further told her I did not appreciate there practices and I will file a complaint with someone. She stated, "I'm not worried, You can't even afford an attorney so go right ahead! (laughing)"

I'm tired of this disrespect from a company that is part of AIG that was bailed out by me and every taxpayer. They disclosed to my parents my financial situation, and have threatened to take me to court again. They continue to call me at work where I have asked them not and they use harassing tactics to get their way. I had to write this complaint, while at work. They are affecting my ability function throughout the day without me wondering what they will do next.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2010

After two bouts with cancer, going on disability as a state employee, I waited six years for my Federal disability to finally be approved. Twenty years ago, the state of NC was having a bad financial year and passed a law that if you had not gotten your Federal disability within 3 years that could cut your income per month by the "hypothetical amount they should pay you".

Two weeks before my three years were up, they notified me that my income was being almost cut in half. I was dealing with huge medical bills, new medical problems the cancer kicked off and $ 250 in prescriptions per month. Things kept going from bad to worse and I decided to take out a home equity loan to consolidate some bills. "Sandi kept telling me that this was going to be so great for me because it would lower the amount I was paying out every month." She kept building it up, promising the world. Everyone in the office was so nice and friendly. The day I went in to sign the paperwork, I was blown away by how much my payment would be per month. It was much higher than I had been paying. She said it was because it was only for 20 years (not the 30 I had before) and higher interest than I had been paying.

I made a huge mistake by going ahead and signing for a loan I was probably not even qualified for, but my boyfriend was about to truly have heart attack over the stress of our bills. So I signed. Three months later, he did have a heart attack and was out of work for two months. Then the recession hit and his income was cut by 3/4. He couldn't pay his part on several bills we had together and I started to get further and further behind. In 2009, I applied for a modification to reduce the payments, was denied and later discovered that Sandi had left off many of my monthly bills that would have proved how badly I needed help and should have helped me get approved. I applied again, added in what had been left not submitted before. Suddenly, each time when I went in the office, I would hear the manager Ken yelling and talking nasty to his employees. Sometimes, I would hear him talking on the phone to customers who evidently were behind and he would talk so nasty and aggressively to them. I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

Again Sandi would report to me that the office had called to ask questions which was a good sign that I would get approved this time. That happened about three times and then the word came that I was not approved again. I was paying payments a little late once in awhile but all my other bills were not being paid because I was trying to keep from loosing my house. In February 2010, I had heard about a new Federal program so I went in and asked about that. Sandi acted like she was really ** that I wanted to apply for it. I wondered if my payments went down, did she get paid less?

I was finally approved around the end of April. They took it down around $300 when they brought the interest rate down to 6.5. I was hoping for better and the 4/4.5 that was being done by other lenders. Then they sent me a letter that they were adding $75 per month for life insurance. We were to far down so this didn't help much with the other bills that got behind while we were trying to keep the house out of foreclosure. I started to deal with Shane when he first came to work there the end of 2008 or first of 2009 because I was so upset about all the lies Sandi had told me. He was a great guy, talked nice and was respectful.

Over the past 1/1.5 years, I had more and more problems making payment, and being late. The same things everyone else has been complaining about started happening with me. Calling constantly, stopping by my house, threatening to reposes my car, and telling me I had to make three payments and would not accept a one month payment if a certain date had passed, I would have to bring 2 payments. The week before Memorial Day 2010, I was in bed for 4 days. Ever since the last cancer in 2002, I have good days/weeks and bad days/weeks. My boyfriend came by on Friday around 4:00 pm to take me to get something to eat and hoping just getting me out of the house would make me feel better. When I went in to pay my past due bill the following Tuesday, June 2, when the office opened again, they told me they had called me all week before the holiday and had not gotten an answer then stopped by Friday 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm and no one was home.

I had passed that mystery date and they refused to take my money. I would have to bring back 2 payments before the 16th. Shane said or "They would have to...well you know...." He talked like a very smart Alec. I said "No, I didn't know." What?" He said, "Reposes the car." Then he asked, "Why didn't you pay on the due date?" Then he gives me this smirk little grin, winks and says, "Memorial Day Weekend?" He was accusing me of taking my payment money and going to the beach for the weekend! I was speechless. I told him no, turned around and left. I was so upset, I went to bed and cried for two days. I wrote a letter to him about how much he had changed since he had gotten there and become so much like the manager Ken. I told him how disrespectful his comment about "using my money to go to the beach" was and how I expected an apology. I am 58 years old, he is in his twenties.

Fast forward to July 19. I go in to pay again. He yells hello from his desk in the back and I wouldn't look at him or speak to him! As I got ready to leave I said, " I haven't got your apology as I requested" He said "No and you never will. I don't owe you one." I told him he that did after the way he had accused me of using my payment as beach money. I turned and walked out.

Today I went in to pay again. There was one guy, Dan, I have never worked with but he had called about a payment before; Shane and the manager Ken. The three women who work there were not present. When I entered, Ken and Dan yelled hello. Shane was on the phone and hung up soon after. He never spoke. Dan came up front to ask if I was making a payment and he took the money and walked back toward his desk to print me out a receipt. He showed the money to Shane, who is now Assistant Manager. Shane took the money from him. Then Shane must have punched in the info for a receipt because soon he walked towards the front and pulled the receipt off the printer and walked up to the front desk and handed me the receipt saying in a very sickly sweet tone, "Thank you Ms. ** and you have a nice day." Extremely sarcastic. He turned and began walking toward the back looking at Ken and gave a little cocky smile and shook his head side ways, strutting a little.

I turned and began to walk towards the door when I heard a little smirky laugh from him. There were no other customers in the office. As I reached out to push the door open, I said "**" and walked out. He yelled, "What did you say?" I kept walking to my car. He came flying out of the door out on to the sidewalk in front of the office and yelled "Ms **." I kept walking and tried to ignore him for a second time. Then he yells, " You don't come into my place of business and call me an **. The next time, I'll call the police." We were a feet apart across the drive that goes between the office and the parking lot. I turned and we started arguing. I asked him about the apology he owed me and got the same response I had gotten the previous visit. I told him about how much he had become a ** like Ken when he used to be a good guy.

He lifted his right leg, grabbed his butt and said, "**." He repeated the gesture and words 2-3 times and told me he was still a good guy! He was on the sidewalk that ran in front off all the businesses up and down the outdoor mall and in front of the two lane drive that ran the length of the mall. I can not believe how unprofessional, how the manager condones this behavior and how none of them are concerned about the public witnessing this behavior?

Something is truly wrong with this company, their philosophy of business and the way they teach their employees to conduct themselves. They do act like loan sharks. They are great while signing with them and as long as you have no problems. When you do have problems, they switch to the nasty, bully and threatening mode.

Why isn't someone doing something about these people? I know a lot of us who go to them don't have the best credit and are in a bad situation at the time, and probably couldn't get a loan anywhere else. We are not all the low life ** they treat us like though.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2010

I am a former employee of American General Finance in Seattle and all of the complaints about this company are correct. Some of my coworkers made up information on the applications, added life insurance without asking, and harassed customers into paying. This company is a predatory lender and needs to be dealt with accordingly.

Giving someone an auto loan at 25 percent interest when they have excellent credit is bordering on criminal. Management is only out to make money, they care nothing about their customers. I attended court proceedings numerous times, and this job made me sick to my stomach. Lying, deceit, cheating, and illegal actions are the norm for American General.I am so glad that I do not work there anymore.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2010

I received some paperwork in the mail stating I had purchased Life Insurance, but that it wasn't required. When I investigated and called, I told Merit Life I had no desire and do not recall purchasing this. They told me it was sold to me when I got my daughter's car loan from American General Insurance. I told her I had Real life insurance with Afl, and State Farm and didn't need any of their cheap life insurance!

I investigated even further and found out they make you sign pwk that you get life insurance ( they don't explain you pay for it and do not have to get it) with their car loans through AGI. I told them I was reporting them both to the BBB, and Merit Life told me that was between myself and AGI.

Now had I been a little 18 year old kid like my daughter, I wouldn't have noticed the fine print. I threatened cxld it and poof like magic was told a check was sent to me for the full refund! Funny how they like to take advantage of the needy or young and naive.Disgusting, absolutely disgusting!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2010

I applied for a loan 1 month ago, I was denied and was told to return in one month and they would be very happy to accommodate me with a loan. I returned on Aug. 13th as they asked me to. I went through the loan process. Now, a credit check was ran one month ago the first time I applied for the loan. This time, another credit check was ran. Again, I was told they would contact me in about an hour with what they could do. An hour and half later, they contacted me and told me that I have been approved for an auto loan in the range of 3000 to 4000 dollars. Find a car that I like to have the dealer fax them the purchase order and they would cut him a check. So the dealer contacted them by phone to verify all the information they advised him. The loan was, in fact, approved and they were finalizing it. This was at 11:00AM Friday morning.

The dealer pulled the vehicle off the line and marked sold on it at 5:30PM Friday. The loan had still not been finalized, they stated that it was in the final approval stages. As soon as it is emailed back to them, they would cut the check. So they closed on Monday morning at 9:30AM, they contacted me and advised me that the loan had been changed from $3100.00, which was what they told the dealer they would approve, to $2000.00. I would have to pay a 4% loan fee and 29.99% interest. That was when I stopped the loan process.

Why was I not told all this information before going through the dealer because had I been told this information, I would have stopped the process right there. These people should not be allowed to do business in any state with what they pulled here. People should contact their state department of finance and complain about their immoral and unethical business tactics.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2010

I paid off the balance on my loan two weeks in advance of the next direct withdrawal from my bank. The balance due was $210.12. The normal withdrawal is $107. After paying the balance, I was contacted for another $2.87 and was told it was for accrued interest. Although my last bill clearly stated balance due of $210.12. If that were not enough, on August 10, 2010, American General withdrew an additional payment of $107 from my account when I had already paid the account off.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2010

I borrowed $3000 from American General Finance in August 2008 to pay for my wedding in October 2008. I had no problems making the $145 monthly payment until November 2008 when my wife lost her job. I missed two payments in March /April 2009, but sent them a payment in May 2009. I didn't hear from AGF until July 2009 when I found out they had turned my account over to a law firm who sued me in small claims court. The law firm refused to talk to me, and I was sued in September 2009.

My wife was still unemployed so I was paying all the bills and was barely making it. The law firm would send me payment to avoid garnishment notices each 2 weeks requesting minimum of $400 every two weeks, which I could not afford. They refused any payment less than the $400, and garnished my disability/ retirement earnings of $2383 on 3 August 2010, and garnished $446 out of my wages on 6 August. I am a retired Sergeant Major with 32 years of honorable service, and a contractor with the National Guard. I have no money to buy insulin I need as I contracted Agent Orange and have Type 2 diabetes from serving in Vietnam. They took $2829 out of my earnings so I had to borrow money from relatives until my hearing in 2 weeks.

When I called the manager, Phil, he said that he didn't know why the law firm filed a bank and a wage garnishment against me.AGF was to give me 5 business days to exempt funds from garnishment, but took the money out in 3 days. The judge signed the order on 15 July; I received the notice on 31 July. The funds were taken on 3 August. This experience has a tremendous negative mental and emotional affect on me as I have no money to pay my bills, including my mortgage, or to buy food. In addition, several checks I wrote received NSF notices totaling over $600. My electric bill was $345, which I could not pay because my money was frozen by the court. The fact that I owed AGF only $2200 and was willing to negotiate, and they would receive $4921 if I didn't appeal is insane. This is my worst nightmare.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2010

I fail behind payments like a lot of other Americans and now they are garnishing my wages. It was $107 per week. Now it's $187 per week because some [talk] about them having to refile papers with the courts for some reason. So now they think they have the right to charge me $80 more a week, somehow thinking I can really afford that especially when I am trying to keep my house from being foreclosed and have a daughter to be born in December, causing over $720 per month to be taken straight out of my check.

Original review: July 8, 2010

I can state time after time after time where American General reps have lied and deceived me and my family. They are incompetent idiots and have the largest turnover of employees of any company that I have ever seen. According to the District Manager in our area, "We terminated the incompetent and scammers at that office." My mother (now deceased) took out several loans with American General in the past. She always got term life or credit life with the loan in the event of her death.

One particular loan she took out was a small loan for a business that she and two of my siblings operate. It was a 10-year loan with term life attached to the loan. She became ill after she took out the loan. She was terminal. In going through all of her paperwork, bills, insurance, etc. before her death, she informed us that she had a loan left at American General but it was secured by life insurance. It would pay it off and to make sure that they didn't try to rip us off. She gave me the folder from American General since I had power of attorney. I didn't look in the folder until after her death because I was not ready to face the reality that she was going to leave us.

A week or so after her passing, I opened the folder only to find the loan paperwork but no insurance forms with it. I went into the local office where this smart ** know-it-all, who had never met my mother nor I had ever met--again complete office employee turnover--informed me that mom never had an insurance with them on any of her loans because she always turned it down. I told him that he was dead wrong because number one, he had never met my mother and number two, I had proof that she had insurance on previous loans and Merit insurance also had proof.

Then, his story changed. She might have had insurance on a couple of loans but not on this one. Then, I demanded to get a copy of her loan agreement. He was an absolute smart aleck about having to make copies and interfere with his busy workday--probably playing a game on the computer. Actually, they never look busy any time I have been in there. I got the paperwork home only to discover that there was life insurance on the loan. He said that there wasn't, but the original loan officer only did a 5-year term instead of a 10-year term on a 10-year loan.

Now, the idiot at American General said yes, she took out the insurance for the loan but only took out 5 years because she didn't want a 10-year term loan. Funny thing was, he wasn't there, and had never met my mother. However, my brother was with my mother when she took out this loan because it was for the business that he shared with her. They were told that the life insurance would cover the debt in the event of my mom's death. My brother asked, "So, if mom dies during the term of this loan, it will be paid in full." "Absolutely," was the scam artist's response.

He convinced her to use her home as collateral on this loan. Her home was completely paid for and appraised for around $150,000. Even Connie at Merit Insurance said that house collateral should never have been used on a loan of this amount. Now, her home is threatened for foreclosure for this minimal loan. I have a 75-year old stepfather living in the home who has serious health issues. They will not hesitate to throw him to the curb. American General says that my brother is incorrect in saying that the loan would be covered in the event of my mom's death. They say that they were told it would be covered during the first 5 years.

What idiot would place a 5-year term insurance loan on a 10-year debt with house collateral attached to the loan. My mother would have never done that. She was adamant about the fact that the loan was secured with insurance. Now, we are faced with foreclosure, a scam artist loan officer at American General that is no longer with the company, an idiot manager that did not know my mother, an idiot District Manager who can't get her facts straight, my deceased mother who cannot stand up for her rights and my brother who was a witness. But American General states that he misunderstood.

American General is full of incompetent scam artists that prey on people that believe at first that they are an honest company. My husband and I have been scammed by them. We have been lied to just as all the other people filing complaints have been lied too. Why is this company still in the practice of ripping off innocent people when we, honest people, are out here trying to make a living in a down trodden economy? They need to be out of business due to illegal business transactions. How many complaints have to be filed against the same company before any action is taken? My family will voice our opinion about American General and let our friends and community know that they will rip you off if you go there. We have hired an attorney.

Original review: July 1, 2010

My contract states I will be charged 33.65% interest, however they are charging about 50% interest. I called to inquire after checking my bill and they said they compute the interest on a daily basis which is why I was billed $66.51 in interest on a payment of $133.43. However, the contract does not state anything about daily charges. The regional manager insists that the $66.51 charge is only 33.65%. Any calculator will dispute that claim. They owe me principal dating back to the beginning of the loan. I have a copy of the contract and invoices and I am willing to present a copy to you upon request. Since they are charging more interest than the contract allows, the loan will cost me significantly more than I agreed to.

Original review: June 25, 2010

I took out a loan from American General Finance. When I took out the loan, I took out the insurance because I was due to have surgery on my knee and wasn't sure of how long I'd be out of work. When I was told about the insurance, I was told all I had to do was send them a copy of a doctor's note advising of my surgery and how long I was going to be out of work. I was told that I would be able to cancel the insurance at anytime and my payment amount would change and be less. I had paid into the loan for about 6 months before I had surgery.

I called them and advised that I was setup for surgery and I had a doctor's note that I needed to either mail or send to them. I was told then that I had to send them all of my medical records and have my doctor fill out these forms. I was told that I had to be out of work for 30 days and on the 31 day they would pay on my loan. So basically, I had to be out of work pay the first month that I was out of work then they'd pick up any payments after that. I've asked them to send me copies of what I've paid year to date and so far I've not gotten it. I wanted to compare what I show as being paid with what they say I've paid. When I asked them about why my loan payment wasn't changing because I had cancelled the insurance, they told me why it would.

I explained I was paying the extra because I had taken out the coverage and now that I don't have the coverage I shouldn't still be paying the same. I was told by many reps there that it wasn't there problem as to what the Orange office had set up, they were to kind and why that office closed down. I was told that they do things different in New Jersey and I would pay what they tell me to pay. This company is like a loan shark and they aren't nice at all. I would never recommend them to anyone that needed a loan. I told them I don't think I owe them as much money as they claim I do. Madeline advised me several times that I'm wrong for thinking. She then sent me a very small refund of about $90.00 stating that was for the payments I paid insurance but I'm still paying the same exact dollar amount. So why send me a refund if my payments are correct?

Original review: June 9, 2010

What happened? Lots! I like my loan officer initially but then Bridgette began handling my account. I had disability insurance on my loan. I had health problems that prevented me from working beginning in February 2009. They harassed me during the time I submitted the claim until the insurance paid. Bridgette called my sister (listed as a close relative) and told her she was an old friend of mine and wanted to get in contact with me. My sister took her information and passed in on to me. Why Bridgette contacted my sister when the insurance was paying my account is a mystery. Then Bridgette mailed the claim form to my doctors office. I picked this form up in an office on White ST prior to my doctors appointments. The form mailed to my doctors office had Bridgette's handwriting on it. My doctor's office mailed that back to Bridgette's office.

That happened in the beginning of November 2009. In December 2009, I got a letter from a lawyer saying I was behind on the loan. A mystery to me since I knew the insurance claim form was recently submitted. I was told in the letter to pay up or they were going to repossess my motorcycle. Ha! What motorcycle? I have no motorcycle! Now in May 2010, I find out that Bridgette did not accept the doctor's claim form for insurance. have contacted my state Attorney General's office and they are helping me. But Bridgette needs to go.

Bridgette has harassed me unnecessarily. Her inaccuracies and harassment have increased my anxiety. I refuse to talk to her and will only talk to her supervisor Jonathan ** in the Wilmington DE office but he is fond of Bridgette and does not. The harm she has done to my health with her pathetic handling of my loan. I say she is a disgrace to American General and professional loan officers. I have had to take anti-anxiety pills because of her needless harassment inappropriate handling of my loan.

Original review: June 3, 2010

My husband got a loan before our marriage to consolidate our debts and get them paid off. We put my car on the lien. They valued my car below blue book for its condition and when we got more money for an emergency. They again decreased the value on my car and we had to offer more collateral, again, well undervalued. They couldn't even give us a value for my husband's show-quality truck as collateral because their system did not go past the 80's, so they only offered a couple thousand for that as collateral.

We paid off the loan as soon as we could with that and ever since then, we have been getting calls and letters offering us loans. We have told them every time that we don't need a loan and to take us off the list. This has been happening throughout the time we had our loan and constantly since October. Unfortunately, my husband has not tracked all of the calls but it happens at least once a month.

Original review: June 1, 2010

I took a personal loan out with American General when work got really slow due to the economy. That was the worst thing I ever did! I should have known something was not right when they told me over the phone to think up of some appliances in my home or that I might buy in the future that was equal to $2500 for collateral. Since then, I feel as if I am dealing with loan sharks or better word would be a financial Mafia.

I fell down a flight of stairs on the job but I am self employed so worker's comp was out of the question. Well, I called and told them what was going on and why I would be late making payments. They understood, sent me paperwork for my doctor to fill out and, etc. Well, I am not on time paying and things happened. Well, I got caught up only to fall behind again several months later. I had the flu, which put me out of work yet again. I regained enough energy to go back to work and told them I am working again. I will pay what I can until I get current. Well, that was not good enough. They showed up at my residence on a Friday evening at 6 pm to get the payment that I did not have. Angie told me if I could not pay them by the following Monday, they were taking me to court. It scared me to pieces so I called family members and got a payment to them on Monday.

Like I have stated my work is not steady. I was out of work in the winter due to no reservations for beach houses. I have searched but there are no jobs out that pay as well as mine when the work is good. I contacted an attorney which in fact told me that they did have a right to come to my house but if I told them not to come back, they would be prosecuted for trespassing. So I got current once again only to endure swelling on my spine and was out of work for about a month. So needless to say I paid what I could. And the only time I would dodge them is when they steadily harassed me daily about my payments. If I told Angie on Monday the payment would be in by Friday, they would call on Tuesday!

So Stephanie which is totally the only one in that office that does not act like I stole her money when she calls helped me to refinance. It only helped me with one payment. Okay, well I got fed up with the way Angie and Theresa would talk to me on the phone when I would call them and let them know the status of my next payment. So I told Angie not to come back to my residence or anyone from that office was not allowed on my property no more! Only to have Angie argue that if I make my payments on time, she won't be back. So I told her regardless if I am late, stay away from my property and she continued to tell me to make my payments and I will not be back.

This went on several times until I finally told her if you or anyone from this office shows back up to my home there will be legal consequences made and I hung the phone up. Well, this is recent. I was two months behind. I spoke to Angie once again and I told her I would make a payment on 5/28/2010 so by the time I got off work their office was closed and she insisted that I go to the drop box and make the payment that way. I told her I would try but if not, I would make the two payments I was behind on 6/01/2010. She called on 5/29/2010 to let me know that they had to come in the office and work that Saturday for past due accounts and I was one of them and that I failed to do what I said and that the only alternative was taking me to court.

So I asked how long are you going to be there and she said they was leaving at 10:00 am which was only one hour away. There was no possible way that I could have left work in order to get them the payment. So I asked her what could I do to prevent them from taking me to court? She stated that I had to make April, May and June payments. Well, I said June is not even here yet. Why? Her answer to me was, "Because we have had just about enough of you." So I told her that it would not be a problem. So today I called the New Jersey office just to see what protocol I could take and Juan insisted that as long as I made the two back payments, there was no repercussions and they could not sue me. Okay, finally some truth.

So I proceeded to a near by AG office to make the past due payments only for the Leland office to call Whiteville office which then asked to speak to me and Theresa told me that I was not doing as I stated and they were not trying to be ugly about it but they have tolerated me and my situation. I stated to her that I contacted the New Jersey office only to have her argue that they do not have an office in that state. "Look on the back of your billing statement that you send out, you will see." She told me I was wrong and continued to be a little hostile on the phone. Bullies is what they are in that office.

So anyways, I asked her several times if she is refusing payment at this time which they have did before. She told me I need to follow through with what I say on the phone and told me that June payment better be paid before Monday 6/07/2010 or they will have no choice but to take me to court on this matter! I borrowed $2500 two years ago and still owe $2000. The harassment that I have endured with this has literally made me sick to my stomach. When did it become okay for lender reps to treat you with disregard and threaten to come to your home if payment is not made? When did it become professional to raise their voice at the borrower and their family members? When has it become legal for the lender to tell your personal references that your late and that they need their money?

I feel I have not run from my obligations and pay what I can when I am behind to get current. I am making an effort to resolve this issue only to be treated like a common criminal every time I speak to them on the phone. Even the ladies in the Leland office where I made the payment this morning could not believe what was being said on the phone to me. I am at a point that if I could pay the total amount I would do it in a wheel barrel full of pennies! I had to seek professional help in dealing with depression over this situation. When I do receive phone calls from them, I am afraid to answer the phone but I know if I don't, they will show up at my home for payment. The threats that they will take me to court keeps me on edge. I am afraid they will send the local sheriff dept. to my house. I don't know what else to do. I can barely make my payments so I can not afford counsel if they do take me to court.

Original review: May 25, 2010

I asked this company to lower the payments on my second mortgage. This was months ago. I brought in the paperwork I was asked for. They never submitted the paperwork. Now my income has gone down more than $650 a month. I have asked about the Affordable Home Program recently. I am being told answers like "It takes forever, etc." What can I do to get this company to work with me? I might not be able to make my payment next month.

Original review: May 25, 2010

I have a mortgage with this company and I have paid more than my payment every month at least $60.00 more. I was contacted by a male from American General Finance on Wednesday, 5/19/10, about a payment. He told me that I did not pay during April 2010; however, because I was ahead that all I needed to pay was $152.86 to be caught up. Today, 5/25/10, I drop payment off at this same location around 11:15 AM and left my check on the ledge of the reception area. I was asked if I wanted to wait for a receipt and my answer was no because I had to get back to work. I walked out, down the sidewalk to my car and a heavy white guy with blond hair comes out pointing at me. I pointed at myself to make sure he was referring to me and he shook his head. Yes, he comes to my car and says that I told him would pay a fill amount. I told him I was told I could pay $152.86 and would be caught up and I said that I might pay a payment anyway.

I chose to pay something else instead and paid $150.00 because I couldn’t remember the exact amount. He told me, “No, you changing things.” I blew up because I have had numerous harassing calls coming by my home. I told him I was going to report him. Why would I have to be run down to my car and told I was a lite? I would not have come up with this amount without being told this. And now he is saying he didn’t say it. He called me, told me this and now I am the liar. I am now trying to find an attorney in Nash, TN to help me with a legal action. I am fed up with their treatment of people. They are loan sharks plain and simple and should be put out of business. There is no recourse because if you don’t do they want they threaten to foreclose or whatever tactic they decide to use as a threat. I can only assume that their next step is threatening to foreclose. I need legal help and I will not allow them to take home.

Original review: May 22, 2010

Got a personal loan of 3000 to fix my car in March of 2008. Lost my full-time job in June of 2008 but continued to make full payments on unemployment until June of 2009, where I paid interest only for 3 months until I couldn't afford it anymore. Domenica the receptionist and Robert the manager were great, telling me they would work with me and I could start paying in January 2010 when I was supposed to start a new job.

Well, my father passed away in December 09 and we lost his income forcing us to move out of state. Robert the manager agreed in early January to give me more time and allow me to start paying in May when I got setup with a place and a job. Then Mid February, Domenica called asking for a payment. I explained the agreement I had with Robert and she said that was fine but they needed a $20 "good faith" payment. I paid the $20 thinking I would be fine til May like agreed.

I checked my credit report in mid-March and saw they charged off and wrote off my account immediately after I gave that "good faith" payment. So I called and talked to Robert who tried to tell me that charge off\write off means nothing and they still were expecting payment. When I told him I knew what a charge off means, he got an attitude and started yelling at me "it's not my fault you're in this mess, if you just paid your bills there wouldn't be a problem" then he made a comment that insinuated I was lying about the death in my family.

Ok now, I'm in Pennsylvania with no job because I can't get a car due to the charge off/write off. The American General Headquarters contacted me mid-April and offered me a $60 a month "hardship" payment plan then threatened me with litigation when I told them I couldn't start paying immediately. I told them I would try to make a payment by the end of May.

Now I received a call yesterday saying the agreement has to be taken care of by May 28th and I have to come into the branch to sign it. Problem with that is I don't have a car (which they know) and the closest branch is 10 miles away.

Original review: May 21, 2010

My husband and I took out a loan and used his motorcycle as collateral. It was for $6500.00. I should have known better than to go through with it as soon as we sat down to sign the paperwork. Amy, I believe her name was, gave us the loan docs and said that the payment would be almost $400. My husband did the math between the loan amount and percentage rate and it was almost $200 higher than what it should have been. Because of this we asked questions and found out that they automatically added on life insurance, which we already have, to the tune of an additional $200 a month. However, she acted as though she had no intention of ever telling us, and had we not questioned her we would be paying for the life insurance without knowing that we even had it.

I wonder who the beneficiary would have been had we not asked questions and were not made aware of the fact that we were covered. Having been in the insurance industry, it is possible to cover other people with whom you have a financial interest. How convenient for American General Finance. Over the next few months my husband became unemployed by his old company, and due to the economic downturn his company that we began with the funds has not taken off as hoped. We did get behind and they have called multiple times a day beginning on day 9 after the payment due date. This last month they sent a person to my door and left a card with my mother-in-law. Thank god the lady who took our app forgot our references so that they could not harass our family and friends.

There needs to be a class action law suit against this company. I take responsibility for becoming behind on my payments but the deceptive business practices that they use, i.e. $200 a month in life insurance without disclosing that, in addition to the harassment that I have endured and that they begin before it is even 30 days late, is unacceptable. We have some money coming to us and this will be the first thing I pay off. American General is a subsidiary of AIG. Did they not get bailed out by us as tax payers?! Talk about getting behind on bills. I hope the company--not employees--get a taste of their own medicine.

As a result of this I have been charged astronomical fees and have lost sleep as well as been humiliated by there calls at work. As I shared with the employee, Danning, they don't need to begin calling multiple times a day beginning 9 days after my payment date harassing me. I am the one who can't sleep at night worrying about the bills. They have also been extremely rude and will only allow you to contact the local office, so no checks and balances at all. There is no 1-800 number or way to file a complaint. I was told that the only way to remedy my fees were to come into the office. I work and it is inconvenient with my schedule to try to go to their office. Several times they have told me that I had not made a payment and I told them that I had record of it and then they backed down. Something needs to be done. What an unprofessional organization! My current life insurance happens to be with AGLA, another subsidiary of AGF. I will be changing that as well. Disgusting!

Original review: May 17, 2010

I submitted and completed loan modification documents to American General Finance in March 2010. Within 1 month, I was contacted by Allison ** advising me that my loan had been sent to her office for collection. I advised her that I had completed loan modification papers and was not certain as to why she was calling me. She advised me that they wanted the full $8000 that is owed on my second mortgage and that if I didn't pay it, she would recommend foreclosure on my home.

The confusing thing to me is that my first mortgage that I owe $156,000 has done a loan modification and reduced my mortgage by $600 to an affordable payment for me. Not only do I owe $156,000 on my first mortgage, the value of my home is probably $60,000 right now due to the economy. I am not trying to get out of paying American General. I just asked them to lower my payment to a lesser amount. The payment is about $169.74 per month, and I offer to pay them $75 per month. But Allison ** would not accept that amount.

By me working as a 100% commissioned Mortgage Loan Officer in the mortgage industry, I told her that my income has substantially reduced. She told me to go and get a job at McDonald's or Burger King so that American General would be paid. I told her whether I went to McDonalds or Burger King, I would still have an end result of $75 per month because I wouldn't make much from therm anyway. I need to know what my rights are, and how this could be handled. I think that American General are not treating their customers who are completing the Loan Modification paperwork, as it has been presented by the Making Home Affordable program that was to be offered by loan finance companies.

Original review: May 14, 2010

I always make sure to pay my insurance bill. This month, I tried to pay it on May 14th. They told me my insurance had cancelled on May 9th. I've never had any notice bills come in the mail. I didn't get a heads up before my insurance was going to get cancelled. They want me to go up there Monday and sign a form saying that I haven't got into any wreck. I don't understand why they don't let me know and just up and cancelled my insurance. I have work to go to and have a wedding this weekend to go to. How am I suppose to go with no insurance. I have all 3 cars in the same policy and now they're cancelled. I'm stuck and don't have no way back in forth.

Original review: May 4, 2010

I got a loan for $5000.00 through American General with my vehicle as collateral. I made payments to them every month for 2 years, but fell behind one month due to illness and missing work. I was only $300.00 (one month’s payment behind) and I had been making more than the minimum payment to try to catch up on the past due amount. I explained my situation to Nancy, who stated that they would work with me. I was in and out of the hospital for 2 weeks and unable to return the daily and harassing phone calls from Nancy and the manager Randy. They also came to my home on numerous occasions, banging on my door in an intimidating manner.

With only $300.00 behind and a payment of $350.00 already in the mail to them, they repossessed my vehicle. They took a $16,000.00 car because I was $300.00 past due on a loan that ended up being $8,000.00 with interest. I called American General to try to work something out. They were rude and nasty and basically told me that they repossessed my car because I didn’t return their phone calls. They refused to accept the past due amount plus next month’s payment to return my vehicle.

They told me I would have to pay off the entire balance of over $8,000.00 (due to the high interest rate) and that I only have 7 days to come up with the money before my car is sold. Their goal is to rip people off. If I can’t come up with the $8,000 in 7 days (which they know is practically impossible), they get to keep my vehicle and any profit made from the sale. This company is out to rip people off as much as they can. I encourage anyone considering a loan with this company to find another lender. In these hard times they are out to hurt people, not help them. I'm hoping I can come up with this money so they can’t profit any more off of my misfortune.

OneMain Financial Company Information

Public
Ticker Symbol:
OMF
1912
Formerly Named:
Springleaf
NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
Irving