Merrill Edge Mutual Funds
3.46/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Merrill Edge Mutual Funds

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Merrill Edge Mutual Funds Reviews

Original review: March 1, 2019

I opened a Merrill Edge account 05-FEB-2019. My account was locked on 08-FEB-2019. After calling customer service, I was asked to provide a copy of my drivers license, social security card and a utility bill on 14-FEB-19 the documents were emailed to Justin ** and Theresa ** (Jacksonville office) the same day. After hearing nothing and still being locked out of my account, I emailed Justin and Theresa again on 21-FEB-2019 to make sure that they received my sensitive documents. I heard nothing back.

I called customer service again on 23-FEB-19 and the agent told me that the email addresses that I had sent the documents to are incapable of receiving those documents as they would be blocked by a firewall. He suggested I fax them, which I did. I am still locked out of my account. I am told that the documents have been received, but they have not been linked to my account, but it should be finalized within 24 hours. This was on 27-FEB-2019.

I call customer service again and the documents have been linked to my account, but the restriction has not been removed. I am told that this will be pushed to upper management but will be resolved in 24 hours. This was on 28-FEB-2019. I am still locked out of my account. I call customer service again and am shuffled around to two different agents who have both reviewed my file and the notes that are on it. I am told that the associate that worked on my account yesterday, did not send an email to a supervisor for review so it was not processed, but she is going to do it. This is 01-MAR-2019.

The moral of this story is that ALL I AM DOING IS TRYING TO GIVE THEM MONEY and they cannot even open and verify an account within a reasonable time. They give instructions (which lead to nowhere blocked emails) and then have to push things up the chain to a supervisor at each step of the way. This isn't simple. I wanted a simple, stress-free way of investing. This has been an absolute pain in the **.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

If they see that you transferred more than 80% of your assets to another firm, they will harass you with their phone calls, and if you’re not convinced to stay, they will simply close your account. I pulled out $1.4M out of my account in 5 months. Chase preferred clients get unlimited free trades.

Get expert buying tips about Mutual Fund Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I opened a moderate/low risk account. Merrill Edge represented I would have a 40% exposure to the market. Instead, I had a 55% exposure and they purchased some high risk small cap stocks. When questioned why I lost 5.4% at closure (after losing 5% in 8 months), they said it was because the market went down 11%. When I told them the market actually went up .2% they said a good portion of my investment was in foreign stocks and low cap companies. They also said that a lot of the final losses occurred months earlier but were not realized until I closed the account. This means they were artificially inflating the prior statements to hide losses. They attempted to play games with the numbers not realizing I was an astro-physics minor and science major and mathematics comes naturally to me. They kept changing the story. Scam! Stay away from this company.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I currently have an account with them. My account has been hacked and they had no clue what happened. I called them because I saw suspicious activities on my account. I asked them to strengthen security questions. I asked for a certain security question to be added. 8 out of ten times I called and I was not verified using the security password. I called several times and they assured me they will have this security issue resolved. They never did! They have exposed my account to hacking because of their lax security questions that anyone can figure out. Today I called, I was never verified at all so I decided to leave this review. This a horrible untrusted bank that is not worthy of any client trust.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Merrill Edge is a company I admire and have a good reputation about. They have amazing and awesome customer service. They are very innovative and always deliver to your expectations, is very great and unique and always up to their tasks. I'm very satisfied.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrill Edge?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

We need to be constantly checking for any low performing funds or stocks and replace it with better one. I like that Merrill Edge has very useful tools that all customers can easily learn and use at all times. The service it provides are also top of the class. The company also let you customize and check all your account information to make sure everything is alright and up to date. Overall I am satisfied.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Merrill Edge is a nice company to work with... I had a great experience with the company. Easy to trade off, and helped me a lot to grow financially grow. I love the response got from the customer service, easy to call and very nice over the phone call. It was also an easy process have a website. Just go online and buy or trade your stock. Even the selling portion is very easy as well. I recommend to sign up with this company. I am very satisfied with the result which I got with the company.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Merrill Edge Mutual Funds offers me a great support client, this is what I really appreciate about their services, they have also excellent prices. They have very professional assessors, so I really trust their services. I followed their specific suggestions every time in order to save in the best way my resources. But they should offer more innovative promotions or new financial products. They could also increase their earning rates.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I spoke with an advisor by telephone who was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He was able to assist me in making the best choices while keeping my personal goals in mind. Easier online access would be helpful in managing my account. It is almost impossible to get through the online security checks to enter your account if you forget passwords in the different types of accounts that you hold. Other than that, I am very pleased with the level of customer service and communication. Being able to speak with a real live person as needed was incredibly helpful.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

It was very easy to purchase, I did most of it online and then walked into the office the next day to finalize everything. It was super customized and they made sure I was happy with everything I had done before finalizing it and taking my money. They are dedicated to providing quality service at a decent price. But I would love to have a dedicated adviser who I can contact and knows me and my personal finances and what I need help with.

Merrill Edge expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Bank of America bought Merrill Lynch in 2008, and Merrill Edge launched in 2010 to streamline services for existing Bank of America and Merrill Lynch brokerage customers. Merrill Edge offers a wide variety of financial services, including managing mutual funds. Both those with Merrill Edge accounts and those with accounts at other firms can purchase Merrill Edge mutual funds.

• Financial services: Merrill Edge offers many financial services, including professionally managed and self-managed brokerage accounts, retirement accounts, college savings, personal banking and more. In addition to mutual funds, those with brokerage accounts can purchase stocks, ETFs and options.

• Socially responsible funds: Merrill Edge has several funds the company classifies as socially responsible, meaning they do not include investments in companies whose practices are environmentally harmful or in conflict with any religious beliefs. The funds are also free of investments with alcohol, tobacco or firearms companies.

• Client education: The Merrill Edge site has several easy-to-understand resources for those who have never invested in mutual funds before. The articles How to Choose a Mutual Fund and How to Read a Mutual Fund Prospectus are useful for new investors and available for free.

• Financial advisors: Investors looking for extra guidance can get help from a Merrill Edge financial advisor. They can find an advisor in their area by visiting the company’s website.

• Live chat: Visitors to the Merrill Edge site can get instant answers to their questions with the site’s live chat feature, available 24/7.

• Best for: new investors, busy investors, conservative investors and retirees.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs