2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.23/5

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

Merrick Bank Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 3, 2020

I love Merrick but I am billed monthly for the yearly fee. I was paying off all my cards and paid off both merrick accounts I have and put the cards away in my drawer. I have had 0 late payments in 3 years but missed the monthly annual fee of 3$ over the course of 69 or 90 days which was somewhere around 9$ and it was reported to the credit bureau. I am livid about that. I know it was my oversight but I wish merrick would pull that report back. Charge yearly so people like me that have a 0 balance but have a slip up of a 3$ charge don’t have this issue.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I got the Merrick Bank credit card offer about 4 years ago. I had never heard of them before and did some researching. It seems that offer 2 different cards, one secured and one that is not. I was going to give 5 stars but took one away after reading some other reviews. I took one star away based on they are closing accounts of long time customers based on no activity without warning them. Lowering their credit tremendously and then finally cut off. Why cut off customers that should be considered as being loyal and has been a great benefit for both the business and the customer.

My experience with Merrick bank has been a good one for the most part. I was approved for the unsecured card to help establishing credit and assist with my financial situation. I have to agree with some reviews from others that suggest problems with customer service over the phone. I try my best not to have the need to call too often. When needing to call, the experience is not all that great. However, this is a Great card for people who need to establish credit, build up their credit score and also help making purchase with monthly payments. I also like the name Merrick. It is a cool name for a credit card.

I went through this site and almost read every review from this site and some on other sites. MANY customers have problems with mailing in their payments. Something Definitely needs to be done about that!! I pay online through the Merrick Bank website. I make sure I pay by or before the due date and always check to make sure the payment went through. So far I never have been late in the 4 years and have received at least 2 credit line increases. If you are going to use this card, I would suggest also adding some other cards from Capital One, Bank of America, or any type of Secured card in addition.

In my case, I used Capital One and even use a program with Finger-hunt to get my credit going. Working at the call center for this card would be very challenging. So many people calling in claiming to have sent their payment when some of them did and some of them probably did not. When other people lie it makes it hard for everyone involved. Then you got legitimate fraud cases and some that they just made up so they don't have to pay for it. With that in mind, I can look past the customer service over the phone sometimes. So far I never had a problem with fraud on this credit card. I do not let anyone else use it and careful who I do business with also. Also wanted to note that fraud is Not when you use the card and you are not happy with the Merchant. You should contact the merchant and work out the problems.

The Interest rates are high. Very Thankful I did not get a card with annual fees! I avoid any card with annual fees! If you use the credit responsibly and make payments on time then it will pay off. Based on the reviews and my personal experience, I would avoid mailing payments!! If you do not have a checking account, then that should be a number one goal to have.

Lastly, I just hate how Merrick bank is just cutting off long time customers. These long time customers may look up to Merrick bank as someone that helped them build credit and now time to throw them away! The same could also be said the other way around. The customer is no longer using the card, especially over a year. Looks like they could come up with some way to Reward the customers who have been with them for many years by keeping their account open with some kind of warning before closing. They could still make some money. Makes no sense. Or maybe a a card that is competitive to some of the other ones available.

But Merrick should give their best customers who have made years of payments with them some notice "Hey use your card or lose it!" But no, they just send out a letter saying you have been cut off not even saying thank you for being a VALUED customer. Instead words of no matter what we will not open your account again. This is VERY WRONG!!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I was anxious to rebuild my credit after going through Bankruptcy 6 years ago. I was warned about bogus credit offers and sure enough I received several offers in the mail that looked pretty questionable. Merrick was the first credit card company that seemed to look fairly legitimate so I applied and was accepted for a modest credit line. I put the card to use right away with small purchases which I paid off each month and after a year or so they increased my credit line automatically. Later I had some emergency expenses that came up so I carried a balance for awhile but paid it off after about six months. The interest rate I paid was fairly high, but I figured that's what you expect from a starter credit card. I like the online account and payment system which seems to work well. I've never had to call customer service so I can't say anything about that part of it, but overall I've been very happy with Merrick.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Following my divorce in 2012 my credit got shot through no real fault of my own. I decided to get the Merrick secured visa to start rebuilding my credit. I've now had the card for about 5-6 years and have always found customer service to be super friendly and helpful. The only real downside to this card was the limited line increases which only happened after about 2-3 years and were initially quite small. However, as my score has increased over time, these have become a bit larger and more frequent. If you're trying to rebuild your credit, and are willing to make payments on time in the future, and have the patience to do so, then I would definitely recommend this card.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

In May of 2019, I was alerted by Merrick Bank that my credit card had been used in a fraudulent transaction. When I received the call, I was actually traveling to Lowe's in Delaware to use my card for purchases I needed. The representative informed me that an immediate cancel and re-issue was needed for my card; but she allowed me to use my card for the immediate purchases I needed, as long as I agreed to call in after I made my purchases and then Merrick would cancel and re-issue. Three months later I lost the re-issued card and had to call back in to perform another cancel and re-issue. In both of those situations, I was treated courteously and respectfully, and the new cards arrived in less than a week.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: May 3, 2020

I have several creditors and during this pandemic, all but Merrick have offered deferrals. I called their number to see if I could get a deferral or at least get a late fee removed. After several years of on time payments, I was late by a few days on a single payment. I explained that I’d been out of work for six weeks and would be able to catch up within a few weeks. The operator was short, unhelpful, and distracted by kids and a tv in the background. I paid the bill including the late charge. A few days later I got a letter reminding me how important it was to pay my bills on time and, did I know that late payments would cause me to be reported to the credit bureau. Their empathy was nonexistent.

Original review: April 15, 2020

Updated on 05/05/2020: So, as I stated below, 12 days ago I believe, Merrick Bank did reopen my account after they did review the tape to hear that their associate 4 times on the recorded line gave misleading info.. But, they told the BBB that I received misguided info.. So, I've tried for 4,22 hours today after speaking with 4 different depts., and hung up on 3 times, I have decided to pursue other legal actions against Merrick Bank, as they simply refused to do the right thing. As now my credit report has a massive negative mark on it too.

Original review: So, Merrick Bank said I need to make a $315 payment to keep the account open, I BORROWED and I paid $350 the following day, as I called to confirm they received the pay I was told the account was closed last month and was lied to. I asked a supervisor to listen to the call. She did and confirmed the rep not only lied but also violated FDCPA codes on tape, I asked what they are willing to do? The supervisor said nothing.. So I'm giving no choice to hire a law firm to file a civil suit to have them stop this type of practice... SHAME ON YOU MERRICK BANK.

Original review: April 13, 2020

I have a perfect payment record and a zero balance. I had not used the card in a while and I got an alert from my credit monitoring service saying my account had been closed. I called them. They said they had sent me an email. They had not. I have every email they have ever sent me. I logged into the website and I had been sent no alerts. They also said they had sent me a letter via mail and then acknowledged it went to my physical address where I don’t receive mail and that they did have my PO Box number. End result is the account remains closed. I expect better from them and I would not recommend them unless you are planning to charge away for life.

Original review: April 9, 2020

I have had a Merrick credit card for over a year but did not use it until March 2020 while traveling. In April, the height of the Covid-18 pandemic, Merrick notified me I had exceeded my limit by $51 and DEMANDED AN ADDITIONAL PAYMENT above and beyond the monthly payment. No big deal, I made the payment. However, it demonstrates what an incredibly out of touch and uncaring organization Merrick is. At a time when most institutions are trying to help their customers, Merrick is demanding additional payments in an effort to boost their revenues. I will not use their card again.

Original review: April 7, 2020

Have had this card since 2013. Have never made a late payment. Not once. Have never gone over limit or had any issues. Ever. Paid off the card last February. I check it often to make sure there are no fees etc. I have paperless billing. Never a message that Merrick was about to close my account. Got a letter in the mail that my account was closed due to inactivity, but has nothing to do with my credit. Impossible to get a hold of someone. They have the worst customer service ever. Finally get someone on the phone. No help. All they could tell me is that my account could not be reinstated. No further explanation or assistance.

Merrick Bank author review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information