3.40/5
Based on 250 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 21, 2018

1401 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 21, 2018

I pay my bills by mailing checks 9 to 10 days before they're due, and 99% of them arrive and clear my Bank within 5 to 6 days. These crooks at Merrick Bank seem to sit on their incoming mail for a few days before they even post your payment, and how convenient for them that in more than one occasion they have posted my payment the day after the due date, after which they hit me with a $27.00 late fee. And when you call them, they refuse to refund the late and tell you to next time mail your payment 12 days before the due date. Gee I'm sorry but it doesn't take 10 days for a letter to travel from SC to wherever the hell they are, and since I have zero tolerance when it comes to dealing with thieves, scammers, and crooks, this is one account that I will soon be closing. This is the one and only credit card company that I have this problem with.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I have held a Merrick credit card for over 15 years. Always in good standing. However, I seldom use the card. The reason being is a simple issue I once addressed with their customer service department turned into a nightmare and went unresolved. I login to the account monthly to ensure no fraud on the account. Today I found it was not able to be accessed and it advised to immediately call their CSD. I spoke with several different ladies (I was hung up on multiple times. I suppose the issue was too complicated for these reps), and finally spoke with Shamira (SIC?), what a joy, as she sang da-da-da-, placed me on hold, then fiddled about and finally said she couldn't help (though this was the number I was advised to immediately call, and that a department that could help refused to take the call but I could try back in 48 hours and they might take the call then.)

I am assuming the account was closed due to not being used often... though Shamira believes it was being charged off (with no balance I explained that would not be applicable). All said Merrick Bank's service is extremely poor. I wish that as consumers we had a way to criminally charge a company's CEO when their employees waste and abuse their customer's time. I bet a miraculous improvement in service would occur!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I received a mail offer from Merrick Bank for a credit card. Said that I was pre-approved!! I got it in the mail yesterday!! There is NO way that my credit rating changed from the time that they sent it to me. Seemed like a good offer and would give me a chance to replace a card that I wanted to pay off and get rid of. So I got online and applied. Now I know that it says that I could be denied BUT here is my problem with that. There is now a hard credit inquiry on my credit report!!! They should not send out these offers if they are not going to honor them!!! It's not fair to the consumer!! If I made a mistake and entered something incorrectly or didn't check all the boxes then I should be able to go back and fix those mistakes. So they don't need to send me any more offers!! Don't waste my time!!! Just remember when you accept one of these offers it affects your credit score!! Thanks Merrick for nothing!!!

Original review: April 12, 2018

After many years of a good experience with Merrick Bank I paid off my card. Never late, good customer and without warning sends me a letter that my account closed for non usage in a year with no balance. In the past year I had an accident and did not work and helped a family member in hospice. I cannot believe this bank's attitude that they will not reopen it. After all the bank made from me from being a good customer without any issues ever. I contacted customer service and spoke with a supervisor Tom. He told me they do not reopen nor advise in advance that there would be action for non usage. I have other bank's cards and if you forget for whatever reason they will advise their customer rather than dump them. This will no doubt affect my credit score and I will say to you to stay away from this bank. Seek other options. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU OR THE BUSINESS YOU GIVEN THEM!!!

Original review: April 11, 2018

Got a letter in the mail, "Please apply. We will help fix your credit" which really isn’t that bad. Denied in one second. Thanks so much for lowering my credit by applying for your card. Stop sending me things in the mail. You really don’t help people. It will take me months to fix the damage done to my credit score by trusting your false advertising.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have had this credit card for a few years, and I reserve it for emergency use. I haven't needed to use it in a while. I received notification from Credit Karma that my account was closed, so I called customer service to ask why I didn't receive notice that this action would be taken. I was told that notice was sent and returned as undeliverable. I have lived at the same address the entire time I had this card. They will not reopen my account because "we don't do that." Even when I told them that I needed to use the card for a medical procedure, they wouldn't do anything, and told me I should have updated my address if I wanted to receive notifications from them. I want to know what address they had (the customer service rep wouldn't tell me).

This was my second, very bad experience with them. The first involved a dispute with a hotel that I never stayed at. They asked me to prove to them that I didn't stay there in order to successfully dispute the charge. The only thing they would accept was a bill from the hotel. I didn't have a bill from the hotel because I didn't stay there. These morons couldn't understand that, and I ended up having to pay nearly $600 in fraudulent charges. I do not recommend this card to anyone. If you have poor credit, go with another company that specializes in that. Merrick Bank's "customer service" is terrible, and in my opinion, they are a shady company.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Got credit card things worked fine. Limit was doubled as promised in amount of time promised. All payments made on time, no over limit. Then after a year by December 2017 credit card account not reported to credit bureaus. Called and got no help at all. This affected my very good credit score. When I do have to do and dispute about charges to credit card. They are ignored 100%. Told not responsible for charges but I pay them off because Merrick Bank does one things only cancel my credit card and send a new one. It takes time and during that time I can’t use my credit card. Useless to call and try to fix any issues with Merrick Bank. Charged annual fee that is way too much and can’t stand. They wait until last day of statement to charge it. Never shows up as charge to pay off.

Plus charges too much monthly annual fee and even their mistake after many calls hasn’t been fixed. My credit score is very good to excellent and don’t use this credit card anymore. Have credit cards with 7x the $1000 limit on this card. No annual fee and better rewards and customer service. This card helped me after not using any credit for 10 years and having zero debt. Good income for 33 years as USPS employee after divorce and Great Recession. I didn’t use credit or borrow any money after Great Recession and way banks messed up economy. I can still pay for everything without borrowing money or using credit and only have credit cards and borrow to increase credit score. Credit cards with $0 balance and always in good standing canceled during Great Recession for no valid reason.

Paid off all my houses and autos and bills having zero debt and steady good income. I didn’t use credit or borrow money for 10 years. After 10 years good credit falls off credit report and credit score goes way down from not using credit or borrowing money. Only reason I got this credit card. Honestly feel I am very responsible paying for everything always have been. No bankruptcy or charge offs or other problems not even late payments in my entire credit history. I feel Merrick Bank could do a much better job and that I pay monthly annual fee that’s too high, customer service is poor and no benefits in using card to charge anything.

Basically I use card monthly maybe $5 a month pay it off and just have constant small usage reported to credit bureaus to help my credit score go to excellent and stay there. Closing card would lower credit score. Merrick Bank paying attention to my excellent credit score offering me better benefits would make me use Merrick Bank credit card more. They could do better if they catered to people who excellent and very good credit scores. Not just a poor credit scope people to help them rebuild credit. Merrick Bank Too Difficult To Deal With & No Benefits.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Merrick Bank received a Power of Attorney from National Debt Relief. As a result they blocked my card use. I have paid the card down considerably and did not authorize NDR to contact Merrick Bank. I have placed seven phone calls trying to resolve this issue. The Card Services Department that handles this type of issue is only open for 2 hours, between 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. (ET). I have called this department three times and have been on hold for the duration of 2 hours, only to hear an automated message stating, "We are closed. Please call back during normal business hours between 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Monday - Friday." Here is the direct number, 877-487-5598. I also sent a letter asking to reinstate my charging privileges.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I did electronic bill pay to add more money to my account because I was renting a car and I didn't want any problems getting the rental. I currently have a credit on my account for $78 that I was told couldn't be credited to my card until the $200 hold that Hertz placed on my card was released... The supervisor told me to call back once the hold was released. One day after the hold was released I call back to Merrick Bank and speak with a supervisor to get MY $78 placed on MY account so I wouldn't have to mail a payment out. The supervisor tells me they would have to mail me a check that I SHOULD receive in 7-10 business days. I explained to her that, "The check you're mailing me will only be sent back to you as payment, why can't you just keep it and deposit it into my account..." She said they can't. :-( What an unbelievable experience. DON'T WASTE CUSTOMER'S TIME... JUST STOP IT!!!

Original review: March 25, 2018

Merrick Bank has been very fair to me and has helped me to rebuild my credit. Of all the Credit Cards for those of us with less-than-perfect credit, Merrick by far has the best rates and fairest fees. Also, no hidden fees and a very user-friendly app. I would definitely recommend Merrick Bank.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Merrick was a great starter 1st credit card. I now have 5 cards all of whom promised to increase credit lines after 6 months of on time payments, to date Merrick is the only one who kept to that promise.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I got a Merrick card and all was going well. I had a bunch of returned payments based on some timing and helping a relative in need. Please note these returned payments were re-deposited and paid. That is the critical point. Any fees associated I paid and they were not returned unpaid. My account was never late and I was not over my limit. I went online to make a payment and saw the account had been closed. When I called, I was told that I was sent to Collections because of the returned payments. I reiterated the re-deposited paid payments and that the account was not late ever. I requested an investigation. I did not receive any reply and called back and was told that the status remained the same. This was reported to the Credit Bureaus as Written Off - Bad Debt. That is completely not true. I called back and asked for an escalation and filed disputes with the credit agencies.

I have spoken to credit, customer service, fraud protection and each states they will escalate and that the account should have been closed with me paying it off but not written off and sent to Collection. Then, I received a letter over a week after the close notifying me and also accusing me of fraud. The letter states that based on the returns, it appeared to be an intent to defraud. Again, the payments were paid. I am also reaching out for legal advise. I am fine with this being closed but they have accused me of something completely untrue and reported my status in an inaccurate manner. I am still waiting on the final call back and have yet to receive it. I cannot make an online payment.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Merrick Bank had been a great credit card company for me and my husband to help us rebuild our credit. I would recommend them to anyone who needs a starter credit card. We currently have been using ours for 2 years now.

Original review: March 21, 2018

The experience with Merrick Bank has been a pleasant one. Online service is excellent. They kept their promise on my credit balance increase. The statement is easy to read and understand. I will recommend Merrick to my friends and family.

Original review: March 21, 2018

On more than one occasion, it has taken too long to process my payments (made by telephone) after I have a received a confirmation number verifying that the payment was made. The last time it happened I paid the statement invoice amount due about 10 days EARLY(before the due date) and the payment still was not processed by the time my due date came around. I had to physically go to the bank, put the money in a different checking account at a different bank and make the payment again.

This is the second time that this has happened and it has been very inconvenient. I am strongly considering transferring the balance and closing the account at this time, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Each time this occurs my credit history/report could potentially be affected and I shouldn't have to check to make sure that Merrick processed the payment on time, especially if it was paid early. Customer Service Reps that I have spoken to were not at all sympathetic or courteous when addressing the issue. The way that my payments have been processed with such irregularity is why I would NEVER consider auto pay as a solution. I don't trust your systems to handle my checking information with care.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Merrick Bank has to be the most wonderful credit experience I think I've ever had! They have been very good to me better than the people I've had accts w/ for yrs! I intend to be just as good a customer to them! I consider myself lucky to have a card through Merrick Bank. I know I can always count on them! Thank you for taking a chance on me Merrick Bank!!!

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have enjoyed the Merrick Bank credit card. The bank added the credit increase when they said they would and their Rep is always nice and courteous. I would highly recommend this credit card to my family and friends.

Original review: March 21, 2018

My experience with the credit card services of Merrick Bank have been great. Having never missed a payment I have been able to get generous limit increase with no difficulty. The app is easy to use to pay my bill. No complaints.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I’ve had a good experience with Merrick thus far. The Android app works well, and I can check my account from anywhere. The notifications are helpful, and I would recommend Merrick to anyone looking for a convenient, hassle-free experience.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Nothing bad to report. I'm able to access my account online with no problem, never had a problem using my card, and after paying on time for several months they increased the credit limit automatically just as they had said they would. Very fair and I would recommend them to others.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Becoming disabled without warning my income temporarily dropped and medical bills rose. Merrick offered me the help I needed to hold on until my income returned. I was able to keep my house and not have to sell anything. Other banks even local turned me away. Merrick Bank trusted in me and gave me the line of credit I needed to hold on. Not out of the woods yet but the end is in sight and by this summer my wife and I will be back on our feet. Thank you.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have never had any issues. I have never had to call and talk to anyone. I have always paid on time and try not to go over my limit. I enjoy having this card and am very happy. I would be more than happy to post that anywhere.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My experience with Merrick Bank has been wonderful. I have never been a customer where the employee really give it all he/she has to make sure that you are satisfied with their services. Love Merrick Bank.

Original review: March 20, 2018

They were there for me at a time when I needed them most. They gave me credit and as promised they doubled my limit when they said they would. Their website is easy to use and I've never had any issues making payments to them. I would recommend them to anyone who has gone thru a hardship and is trying to turn things back around again.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Merrick trusted me after I worked my way thru Lung Cancer and my Credit took a beating because of my huge Doctor Bills. I will always be Loyal to them for giving me a chance again. I've never been late on a payment and never will be!! Thanks to them my credit score is on the upswing!!

Original review: March 20, 2018

This creditor showed me compassion and consideration during a trying time. That touched my heart. None of my other creditors did what they did. I am forever grateful. I will be sure to always keep them at the top of my list. Thank you, Merrick Bank.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I love the fact that Merrick motivates you to keep your payment on time by offering a increase after the 7th month, great incentive. Although my husband didn't get his increase, due to a glitch Merrick Bank had. But We accepted it and are still loyal customers. When it comes to customer service it's lacking training of great customer service because you could have a lot more business if it went a little smoother. We talked to about 10 reps before we could get any answers. We don't even call anymore. We feel like it's just hopeless to get anything done on the phone. We just pay our bill so that we can maintain our credit.

Original review: March 19, 2018

My experience with Merrick Bank credit card has been outstanding. Having a card that can cover car rental expense or a simple three night hotel stay (average room rate about $175.00 per night) is so wonderful. I pay the bill on time and in a few months they will double my credit limit... I love this concept, it drives you to make that extra effort to get your payments in on time... WAY TO GO MERRICK BANK!!! Now teach the other credit card companies how to do it.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I have been a customer with Merrick Bank for one year now. I sent them 2 payments in February 2018 for a total of $255.00 dollars. (1 money order for $50.00) and (1 for $205.00). To date my account has only been credited for $50.00! This is insane! I believe they have someone on the inside stealing from customers. Or, they intentionally do not credit your account because of the high interest they charge! On March 10, 2018, l sent them another payment this time for $90.00 dollars. Today, it is March 17, 2018 and still no credit to my account. I am asking that ConsumerAffairs look into the financial dealings (audit) Merrick Bank for scrupulous financial and misleading accounting practices. There is something seriously wrong at Merrick Bank.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I've had a credit card with Merrick since 2012 with a credit limit of $1000. For the first two years, I always paid on time and over the amount of the payment due. I NEVER got a credit limit increase. Between the end of 2014 and 15, I was late a few times because of personal situations. Well I got back on track the end of 15 till now. I've never missed a payment nor been late in over 3 years, still have not received an increase!!!! I spoke with a rep today that looked in my file and said I qualified for an increase back in 2012 but not sure why it wasn't applied and she couldn't see why I haven't received any in the past couple years.

I just paid the card completely off and still nothing! I hear all these wonderful reviews on how they received increases in 1 yr or less and I'm like, what the heck!! I kept my card in excellent standing, paid way over monthly payment at least by $200 and NEVER received anything!! I've got Capital One Quick Silver now, that I've had a yr and they've increased my limit twice already!! I'm closing my Merrick card because in 6.5 yrs of only being late 7 times overall due to personal issues and all those late payments were over three yrs ago and none since then and I dont get any increase!!! They can have this high interest rate card! I've had it with this company!! It's literally a joke and very insulting to a customer that has worked really hard to rebuild their credit.

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information