3.27/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1558 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I tell everyone Merrick is great of all the credit cards. I always will stay with Merrick credit card as soon as I am praying to pay off my other credit cards and then am closing them sticking with only my Merrick credit card. Thank You.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Call center employee MOSES solicited family member SS number. Was told to call back with number. Subsequent Call center contacts refuse to explain the request. Account closed immediately at my request. I wonder what they do with all those Social Security numbers.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I needed to change my payment date on this closed account. I have paid faithfully for over 3 years. The customer service person said they would not do this and that I would be charged a late fee even though the account is closed. They will not cut you any slack even for a couple of days.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

This company, though the rates are high, has always treated me respect. They've monitored my credit at no additional cost, increased by credit limits periodically, and provide awesome customer service when there are fraudulent transactions. I have no complaints. Couldn't give 5 stars because of the high interest rate and annual fee.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I would gladly recommend Merrick Bank. I have never had any issue's using my card both domestically and internationally. Customer service is Friendly and helpful. They give periodic credit line increases (wish you could request) however they do offer them frequently. They offered me credit when I was rebuilding my score and helped me towards achieving the credit score I have today. The credit lines they offer are decent to start. Having a account with Merrick Bank get's you access to your fico score monthly and as I stated friendly customer service. I am happy I accepted the invitation to apply and have not one negative thing to say towards Merrick Bank. If you are looking for a credit card either secured or unsecured I recommend Merrick bank. I've been a happy customer for several years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I called about the possibility of lowering my interest rate several months ago and the female I spoke with was so cold and uncaring. I understand that it’s policy not to lower interest rates but the information could of been delivered with much more compassion.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I enjoy my Merrick Bank card. The website is easy to use and I feel very safe. I am rewarded for making my payments on time and kept informed of any changes. I would recommend Merrick Bank to anyone interested in a credit card.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I was not so pleased when I received a statement for $135 for “account set up” and an annual fee and a extra card for my wife. I feel as though that information should be written in bold print for new customers to see. I feel what they did was sneaky and not customer friendly. Not very please with this.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have been a member of Merrick Bank for over a year. I started out with a low account balance and within 6 months My account was increased to a larger balance. I always pay my bill on time and is in good standing with my account. I have nothing bad to say about Merrick Bank. I would easily recommend this Bank to a friend.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I like Merrick Bank - the only thing I'm not happy with is the $5.00 they charge me monthly as an "Annual Fee". That means even with a zero balance I will always have a monthly payment to them. Not happy with that.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I had a Merrick Bank card a few years ago. They raised my Credit limit & all was fine until there were some charges that were not mine & when I disputed them they wouldn't remove them. Long story short I stopped paying. It got so bad. Last year I got a letter from a collections company that offered a settlement for a much lesser amount. I paid it & received a letter from an attorney stating the account was 'paid in full.' That was last April. Today I got a 1099-C from Merrick Bank for the amount of $1423.00 charge off! I assume they are sending this for me to file on my 2018 taxes as income. This said 'charge off' but my paid off letter from an attorney said 'paid in full' even though it was a lesser amount. It was a 'settlement'. I am perplexed & rather upset. Calling the attorney tomorrow. Just thought this information might be helpful for other consumers who have been burnt by Merrick Bank.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

DO NOT open an account with Merrick Bank. I was in collections and had payment arrangements set up with TRUE ACCORD (creditor) to pay off my balance. They deducted one payment and set up the next two to be automatically deducted from my checking account. Now I have a second creditor calling me (CARSON SMITHFIELD LLC) stating that my account is now with them and I owe the ORIGINAL BALANCE (my payment to TRUE ACCORD was not deducted from the amount).

I called Merrick Bank and was told by their lovely customer service agent that they are allowed to sell their accounts to any collector they want, regardless of any pending payment arrangements already made. This is not RIGHT and sounds highly illegal to me. I now have to prove my payment plan existed with the original collector and that money was deducted from my account, all while my credit score is being negatively affected by this. I refuse to pay the entire balance and am very strongly considering hiring an attorney. STAY AWAY FROM MERRICK BANK!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

My wife and myself are frequent users of numerous credit cards. We pay all of them via Bank of America Billpayer program. All of the card companies receive and process our payments THE SAME DAY. Your bank is the only one that receives the payment, then waits several days to post it to our account. This results in late charges which are not legitimate and unscrupulous. Why can't your bank post the payment the same day it is received? This is a major problem. And it prevents us from utilizing Merrick Bank services on a greater scale. If you could properly handle payments, we could use your credit lines more often, expand our credit limits, and be a more profitable customer. What do you say?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I was fortunate enough to pay this card balance to $0 in January 2018. I have always heard that you should keep your cards open even if the balance is $0. My son has had personal problems and has lost his financial aid at college. I intentionally didn't use this card so that I could help him get back in school. With no notice, Merrick closed my account WITH NO NOTICE OR WARNING.

My son's tuition of $3800 is due tomorrow. So, I guess he can't go to school yet (which I fear will cause a relapse) but on the bright side Merrick cost themselves what would probably have wound up being thousands in finance charges before he graduates. This will also hurt my score by raising usage percentage on existing accounts. I don't think this was handled appropriately but big banks do what they want to. This is the thanks you get for being a loyal customer when their rate is higher and the customer service is horrible. This is what they do to good customers.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

What stand out about my experience with Merrick Bank is that recently your online webpage changed and I had a hard time adjusting to it. Also, the balance of my credit card account is not current. I never know what the actual balance is.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Tried to fill out a secured application online for both myself and SO. Mine failed and I got a thing on their web page that said APPLICATION ERROR that said DO IT AGAIN, so I did and it was rejected-though I did get an email that said they would ignore my attempt?!?! Did the one for the SO and Got the APPLICATION ERROR DO IT AGAIN on their site for his (this time using a different browser) and by that point knew NOT to do it again. I PRAY this doesn't hurt our credit scores, will be calling them tomorrow (it's Sunday eve) but I am UPSET. You put in all that sensitive info, and take a knock on your credit to get hit with THIS? Not a good start. Oh and as of this moment, I have 4 different Ph numbers for them. 800 429 2322, 800 429 5094, 800 660 8953, 855 962 3066. This is just getting scary creepy! Not very professional.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Merrick Bank makes it easy to check balances and their mobile app is the best for making payments, have nothing but pleasant experience with this company. The option of credit line increases every six months is really appreciated. Rather you accept the increase or not it a nice option to have.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I have had Merrick Bank for 2 years. I always paid on time. I sometimes paid my balance off. They gave me a small credit increase. I feel that was a slap in the face. I feel I should have gotten at least 1,000 increase. Dissatisfied Customer.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I would most definitely recommend Merrick Bank credit card. This credit card company gives people a chance to not only have a credit card with a decent amount to start off with but if your payment is on time. You have a good chance of getting raise in your credit limit. If it had 6 stars, I would. Thanks. Satisfied customer.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Overall the experience is alright, the new updates have made the bank more easy to use. However I don't like the practice of having to wait an entire week after payment has left my bank account for the available credit to be applied to my account for use. The payment system is still very dinosaur compared to Capital One that allows debit card payments that charge instantly and fully process within 2 days. This is the biggest reason why in the future Merrick will be paid off and left in the shoe box. It just takes too much time and hassle to try to pay you guys, as money does not just sit in my account for days on end.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I like that they gave me a chance with their credit card as I was trying to rebuild my credit. I have had increases in spending and have never missed a payment in three years. The downside is that even though I feel that I have somewhat gained trustworthiness that they will not lower my apr which is quite high.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Merrick bank offers an excellent way to take an active part in improving your credit scores. Their terms are fair and they are not one of these promo acct. rip-offs that are set up to fail. Merrick Bank really has individuals in mind and work hard to help their customers become better prepared to meet today's obligations.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have been with Merrick bank a little while now. They actually have a real person that is available to talk to if you feel the need when you call for anything. Sure it's nice to have automated system but it's better they have people available to assist. Also never had an issue with use of card or any other issue. I like it here and will be here for a while.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I opened an account with this bank. I had the account for about three months. I would send my payment in at least 1 week prior to the due date. Each month they tried to charge me late fees saying that my payments were late. When I asked them what the postage date stamp said they told me they don't keep that. I closed my account.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

My experience with Merrick Bank has been a blessing. It's given me a chance to uphold/reestablish my credit status at the same time and to prove that l can pay my bill on time every time, and with a increase off and on.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have never had an a bad experience within Merrick. Never. As a matter of fact every time they see me hitting my limit they have always been kind enough to raise it. Thank you very much Merrick, I don’t think we have ever been late with a payment. Love them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

There were unauthorized charges on my account last spring. The incident was reported to the fraud department and requested that authorized user be removed just in case there was a compromise. Charges still went thru after I changed passwords and cancelled card. Merrick held me responsible for some of the charges after proving it was fraud. Very disappointed and will pay off balance and not use the card.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Never had a problem with Merrick Bank. In fact of all the credit cards I have I would rate Merrick bank as the best. The Merrick bank app is very easy to use for scheduling payments and has useful features such as due date reminders and high balance notifications. For anyone looking to rebuild or establish credit I strongly recommend Merrick Bank.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Made my first payment and upon making the payment was told funds would be available the next business day. Funds processed through my bank and cleared on Monday the 17th. Decided to use this card to go on vacation and it declined on my first attempt to buy gas on Saturday the 22nd around noon. I called customer service and asked what was going on and he said he would ask his supervisor but would not let me speak to the supervisor about the issue and that I needed to call back in 2 hours.

I waited 5 hours and called back to be told that the last representative I spoke to said I was told that I needed a bank statement showing it cleared my bank account. This never happened. The case is I paid the bill with my business account and they need to verify ownership of the account before they post the payment to the account by calling the bank and asking the bank to verify my ownership and that the correct amount of the payment had processed like with every other of my 4 credit card I have had to do this with. Instead the second representative decided to argue and tell me no he needed a bank statement copy front and back showing the payment cleared before they would release my payment as processed. Then refused to cancel the account or let me speak to a supervisor.

Problem 1: a bank statement will not be issued until the end of the month and most likely will be delayed because of it being December 31st. Problem 2: this will still not prove ownership of the account from a copy of the business bank statement and the bank will still have to be called. Advice: Deal with a different company that understands that the customer may have some insight about situations that they do not have experience dealing with and to respect their customers because without customers they do not have jobs. Very unprofessional and would not cancel the card either when I asked them to but instead continued feeding me a line about a bank statement. I do not feel comfortable with them viewing my business banking statement transaction left either to be quite frank. I eventually hung up because we were not getting anywhere.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Updated on 01/16/2019: I closed the credit card account with a 0 balance. On 1/16/2019 there was a 20.00 balance because of a "returned check". There should not have been activity. Complaint has been filed with the Better Business Bureau. This is the second occurrence of this issue.

Original Review: I paid off the statement balance and the day after the check cleared the account showed a 0 balance. They then tried to debit my savings account for 50.00 which was returned. Now they show a 20.00 balance on the card.

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information

1997
Draper
UT
800-253-2322
onlineoffer.merrickbank.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.