3.48/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1523 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I just received in today's mail an offer for a "doubling of a limit" if I paid my account on time. It was an offer based on a pre-screen. I have had a wonderful experience with Capital One so I thought I would expand my options and apply for an additional card. I read many of the one-star ratings in addition to the 5-star ratings. I reviewed the company's website and bank ratings and determined that I should apply. Well, you guessed it. An immediate decline. I will get the information as to why in the mail next week. The pre-screen seems like a sham. So, beware.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Thought I was good using this bank to help build up my credit. Well, found I was dead wrong!! I used my available credit. I mean most of it. Like a responsible person was never late. Yes, I spent too much. Thinking it was a good thing. I paid it off. Stuck the card in a drawer so I wouldn't be tempted to go crazy again. Because I knew I had paid it off even left an average on the account. I hadn't checked on it. Well in the months I hadn't used it apparently I was incurring fees. Not a lot. Just $4 a month. As I said never late. Paid off. Didn't know there were still fees. Well now 90 days in Seriously Delinquent hits my credit report. I'm at a loss. I've been on top of my bills, most are paid off, not sure where this is coming from. Pull my report. Sure enough it's Merrick. They reported it seriously delinquent for $23, not only that they closed the account.

So not only did they hit my credit rating. What if I had decided to use the account. You know how embarrassing it is to have your card declined! I understand that's practice but what about notice. I was never informed. They took all this negative action against me and yet not a notice. They talk about helping to helping your credit rating, being a better consumer. Maybe they should actually practice this. Sorry went on a rant. So I contacted Merrick to clear this up because really $23 compared to the $1000s I've had on credit. What happens. There is nothing they can do. Really?!! I can't pay the $23. Not even an option. How about clearing the report. You know the one that says Never Late balance paid but seriously delinquent. It's like I got penalized for paying off the card. Thanks for the experience. I will make sure to always avoid services like yours in the future.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My experience with Merrick has been, unequivocally, outstanding in every regard. They are generous with clients who have, in their own words, maintained their account in an excellent manner! I appreciate their candor and the manner in which they treat their clients.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

No complaints. My experience with Merrick has been positive. I make payments by due date, usually more than minimum and have been rewarded with 2 increases in credit line. Merrick has been a good vehicle for repairing my damaged credit. I will continue to use their card.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I responded to their mailer, and found that there was no annual fee, and they would reward my on time payments with a credit increase. Yes, the interest rate is higher than most, but at a time when I needed to start rebuilding my credit, they sent me a card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

High interest rate rip off. Merrick doesn't look at timely payments for an interest reduction. Pretty sad since some people only have to choose a high int card as a temporary means because of fraud that turned into bankruptcy.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I really enjoy the new look of Merrick Bank online. It’s easy to use and shows all of my relevant information upfront. The payments are quick and easy to make as well. Overall, a great card and a great user experience.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Having the Merrick card has been excellent for us. As promised after 7 months they doubled our credit line. Since then in a total of 14 months we have had 2 more credit line increases, almost tripling our original credit line. Payments are posted same day as long as the payment is made before the close of business. Our statements are available online within a day or 2 of the close of month. The app is very easy to maneuver through.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

After 5 years of being an EXCELLENT CUSTOMER, NEVER a late fee, usually paid entire monthly balance and bringing my FICO from 500 to 707, Merrick Bank will NOT are negotiate the TERMS. I called today, 11/26/18, to ask to remove the monthly $4 fee and was told “NO, we NEVER are negotiate our terms”. So basically Merrick Bank has ZERO appreciation for GREAT CUSTOMERS! Don’t be sucked in by this bank. They’ll do NOTHING to help you once you’ve re-established your credit. Try something, ANYTHING else. An UnAppreciated LOYAL Merrick Customer.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I received a pre approve letter in the mail. Thought about it for a while, did some research. Since I had just purchased a car, I figured I could use another line of credit to try and boost my credit score. Applied and was decline. Question: Why send a preapproved letter and then declined it? SMDH!!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I was sent a piece of mail saying I could rebuild my credit with their credit card and was pre-approved. I went online and filled out their application with the approval number and was then denied. Don't send me mail stating one thing for people trying to rebuild credit to just ding their credit and deny them. I feel the mail they send out is simply a scam. I mean why else would someone agree to their extremely high rates other than to rebuild credit. I will be letting everyone know about their shenanigans before applying.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I contacted Customer Service to tell them the webpage is not working, neither in Internet Explorer nor in Google Chrome Explorer. I contacted them 3 weeks ago with no results. The error I get is: A communication error occurred: "". The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time. Tech support information: tcp_error more. For assistance, contact your network support team." Until today November the 15th, 2018 no response has or solution has been given.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I am not a fan, Merrick. You got my information because my student loan was handed over to you and you have the audacity to mail me a terrible, scammy credit card with all sorts of self important wording on the envelope. I am already tens of thousands of dollars in debt to you, and you still want to extract more money from me. And on top of that, you don't even have the decency to set up a customer service email address. I do not have a phone because I am tens of thousands of dollars in debt to you, so instead I need to post on this website to complain. Not a fan Merrick, not a fan.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

These idiots don’t even know who they are loaning money to. Everyone should borrow money from them and not pay it back because they will bill somebody else. I know, they have turned me over to a collection agency and I never heard of them before.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My experience with Merrick has been extremely positive. Their online payment system makes it super easy to pay my credit card and most important they are not intrusive like many other card services can be. Their customer service is helpful and they don’t outsource their care.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Not a bad card at all. Just make sure you make your payments on time and everything is ok. They always give you a credit increase after few months long as payments are on time... Definitely helped me raise my credit and gave me a chance at a credit card when no other card would approve me.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have had a Merrick Bank credit card for over two years now. It started with a $700 credit limit when I first got it and I have had regular increases in my limits to now be up to $1900. The card is great. I can check my balances and make payments online and set up regular recurring payments so that I never get charged a late fee. I originally got the card when I had not so great credit. Since then not only have I had the regular credit increases, I’ve qualified to buy a house, and continued to use my card wisely.

My only complaint is the annual fee on the card. I paid the fee and fall as part of my balance when I first got the card in my first year. Now I get charged a fee every month as a partial payments towards my annual fee. In some ways it’s nice to spread out the annual fee, but I have also found out about people who have the same card and don’t pay any fee at all. I understand that my credit was not great when I first got the card but with all of the increases in my credit limit that I’ve gotten you would think that there would have been an offer to waive my annual fee by now.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I think it's a good card so far except for the activation fees are ridiculous but I think it would be hopefully a good card. It's been good to me so far and I think giving people 500 credit men taking part of that but these you should give him a little more credit.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I love my Merrick credit card. I have no complaints. I pay everything on time. And I have had zero issues with my card. Merrick raises my credit every few months because I always pay on time and I Love that! Thank you Merrick.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been a satisfied Merrick card holder since 2014. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the service I have received. Whenever I have a problem Customer service is always very courteous and helpful. They listen to my issue and are very helpful and committed to getting it resolved. I get fraud alerts whenever they suspect suspicious activity which gives me peace of mind. They also give periodic credit line increases which is also great. I would definitely recommend Merrick to anyone looking to open a credit card account.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

For years I used cash only and had no credit. I was fortunate to find Merrick Bank almost a decade ago. They have consistently served my needs while building my credit. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Merrick Bank extended credit to me during a time of need, I have been faithful in making payments toward my account, as a result I have been extended credit beyond the original allowance two additional times, this showed me that they have confidence in helping me to receive earned benefits. I am thankful for the way in which they are doing business.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Merrick Bank was extremely instrumental in helping me to rebuild my credit following a divorce. With timely payments, often in excess of the minimum due, my credit line was consistently increased. They did NOT charge outrageous annual fees which I found was a condition of many other credit cards I received. I have always found their representatives to be friendly and helpful. My credit score steadily increased and I found it very convenient to be able to monitor my Transunion score right on the website. Overall my experience has been very positive. Rebuilding credit is a process that requires responsible account management and patience.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

So I had this card, got divorced and couldn't pay my credit card bills. Instead of filing bankruptcy I did credit counseling and paid them off thru them. Well that was over 8 years ago and recently I applied for a loan and got turned down because one of my accounts (Merrick is only 1 left on there) reported my account in debt consolidation. I have asked Experian to remove this account for the second time now and if it doesn't get removed next step will be Better Business Bureau. This is ridiculous. I paid my debt to them and they're going to flag my credit forever. Don't trust them. They charge to much interest anyway. I have excellent credit now however this is not the end until this gets resolved.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I've had a Merrick credit card for only 1 year. I had only used it in the beginning and paid it off right away. They did double my credit line in 5 months. So that was great. I have several other credit and try to keep my balances low. I use them only when I need them. I just received a very short letter stating that they are closing my card due to inactivity. I thought I was only able to close the account unless it was in default, which is not the case. I am very confused.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I refinanced my home to pay off my credit cards, which Merrick was one. All the other cards posted within 7 days. When I called Merrick I was told it takes 7 to 10 days to post. On day 10 I was told it takes 10 to 14 days. They charge interest daily and really milk you out for every penny they can.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

This is not a good company. I received a application in the mail from Merrick Bank saying I was pre-approved for a credit card. They had already seen my credit and made decision to send me an application. I was not approved online. I thought this was STUPID because who sends a pre-approved application and not approve the person with the certificate pre-approved information. Does not make any sense to me. I called customer service and she didn't know anything. She gave me the address Merrick bank credit card or call back on Monday. She sounded like she was a new customer service rep.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I was a Merrick Bank customer for several years. NEVER late on a payment, NEVER missed a payment, NEVER failed to pay at least the minimum amount due, and 99% of the time paid more than the minimum, usually rounding it up to the next hundred. Never had any issues. I paid my account off in full last September 2017, and due to having received a Discover IT card, hadn't been using the Merrick Card.

Well, yesterday I received a letter from them stating they had closed my account because I hadn't used it in a year. That wouldn't really matter to me other than, credit scores are based on a credit ratio. The amount of credit you're using out of your overall available credit. That's fine and dandy until one of your cards just up and closes down, leaving you several thousand dollars short in the "available credit" column. That plays hell with a credit score. It happened to me with another card, too. Barclay's. Same thing. I never missed a payment, never late, and never failed to pay minimum amount due, usually rounding it off to the next hundred. It's as though these credit card companies and banks are punishing you for being a really good, responsible customer.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Merrick Bank was one of my first cards I applied for after my divorce. At the time, I had little to no credit. I was approved and worked diligently towards building my credit. They were the first creditor to increase my limits. They are easy to work with and have friendly and helpful staff. I look forward to remaining a loyal customer for years to come.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

What I like about this company was the representative that answered the call. Very polite and helpful. I don’t wait for long to get someone to talk to me. Few questions from the computer and I am talking to real person. We don’t have Merrick Bank in my area. I wish we do.

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information