3.25/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1583 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: March 16, 2019

For 6 days I have tried to log on to the site. I have a payment due soon and am concerned reading other bad reviews of this card. Up to this point I have been satisfied with the card and now am suspect. I imagine that there will be repercussions if I have a late payment at their fault. Perhaps the narcissistic streak runs deep in this company with them claiming no fault and blaming the customers. I will be paying the balance and closing the card after balance is paid. Yuck, I hate fraudsters! Also, contacting the company is difficult. No e-mail contact, no chat. Very unsatisfied with the lack of communication.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Merrick Bank purposely deceived that I was in good hands about a transaction to allow the date to pass. Then promise me corporate would call me and never happens. Then turn from victim to villain when they worked hand and foot with the merchant to steal from me because I would have went to the reservation if I was not assured that I was safe. Plus John at disputes told me that a recording I got was worthless of me being promised a refund. That sounds like two thieves working together to steal. In fact 230pm 3-11-19 Woodbury New York fire him and gimme my money. Also I keep getting promised calls from corporate that they refuse to give me.

Original review: March 9, 2019

The day I activated the card I kept getting denied purchases. Frustrated, I called customer service to find out $130 in charges had already been applied before the card was even activated by me. I thought my information was stolen! Come to find it was a "set up fee" and an "annual fee" charged literally before I even received the card. SCAM ARTISTS!

Original review: March 7, 2019

I enrolled into their DEBT MANAGEMENT PROGRAM upon being laid off along with other companies I have credit cards with. I merely called with a simple request to CHANGE due date. I first got a rep named HILTON and he IMMEDIATELY insisted I should be speaking with Debt Management Dept and BLIND TRANSFERRED the call. After being on hold for 10 mins, a female answered but never identified herself. When asked, she gave the name Gina. I had to submit all my info again, card #, etc.

I requested to change due date allowing time for Consumer Credit Counseling to process payments for sending. Gina immediately said: "I can't," insisted I should be talking to customer services and wanted to transfer me back?! I refused. Hence, this REVIEW! Most of my credit card companies advised me, due date doesn't matter, once ACCOUNT CLOSED. Twenty mins online with so-called CUSTOMER SERVICES REPS WHO "DON'T" SERVICE CUSTOMER? Now, I'm extremely relieved that this account IS CLOSED!!!

Original review: March 4, 2019

Last year, in 2018, I received an e-mail notification and a telephone call from the fraud department at Merrick Bank. There were three unauthorized credit card purchases made to my credit card account. The fraud department immediately shut down my account to prevent additional damage. I was fully protected from any liability and my account was fully restored within a short period. Thank you Merrick Bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: March 3, 2019

This company will not lower your interest rate, even after a year of on time payments. I have been charged nine dollars a month for having the card. I pay a little over my monthly payment of forty-eight dollars and the balance is still the same. I got the card to build credit. This is the worse card/company to ever deal with. I beg everyone to stay away from this company, or you will be trapped. Fyi, I have never been late with a payment, nor have I missed a payment.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Highly recommend this credit card for someone who is starting to build credit or trying to repair a bad situation. I’ve never had any issues, unlike other cards out there (credit one I’m looking at you). They are good about increasing your credit automatically for consist on time payments. And I know having a Merrick account helped me get 2 other cards later one. There are no rewards and the annual fee sucks, but so did my credit so it’s worth it in the long run. They do free FICO score check, online/app friendly, and have great customer service reps if you ever have to give them a buzz. Overall, I’m very happy with Merrick Bank and I look forward to being a happy customer for many years.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Credit card customer with Merrick for a few years now. Everything with company has been great! -Just wish they didn't charge annual fees (paid monthly) and high rates. Especially when the Fed charges them under .05-2%!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Merrick Bank gave me a legitimate credit card when I was rebuilding my credit and as I proved myself and increased my credit score they increased my credit limit on a regular basis. Their app made tracking my account and making payments easy. Now I qualify for top tier CC's!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I would recommend the periodic credit line increases to be more like my other credit cards accounts in good standing and payment history should be considered for 1,000 increases to build a stronger portfolio.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have not had any really bad experiences with Merrick Bank. They have been good & unlike some others when they see that you do pay your bills they raise your limit. I was very happy to see that! I have not had to contact them for any reason so am not sure how the customer service department is.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

To the glory of God in my Lord and SAVIOUR CHRIST Jesus Merrick Bank has been truly a Godsend. It is all around a game changer for anyone who is committed to rebuilding their credit. God bless in Jesus glorious and wonderful name. Amen.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have had no problems with Merrick since opening a credit account with them. Customer Service very polite and helpful. I got my card because my parents have had a card with them for years and have been happy with their service.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I think Merrick Bank is a great company in which to do business with. My husband and I both have accounts with their credit cards, and are very pleased with their service. I would certainly recommend anyone wanting to get a credit card to give them a try first before other places. We are very pleased with their service!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I am happy to be a Merrick Bank customer and have been for over a year. When I was in college I had more than one credit card and didn't use them wisely. Now in my 30s I wanted to start rebuilding my credit. Merrick Bank constantly reviews my account, and has increased my credit limit on multiple occasions. This means that a card that started out as a small builder card is now a card I could use in nearly any emergency and know that I'm covered! It's amazing to have a company willing to build on the customer/bank relationship in such a way! Customer service is also generally polite and incredibly helpful. I would recommend Merrick Bank to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I was at first skeptical about joining Merrick Bank because of the reviews, but I went for it and I love this card. So far, it’s been great and it does what it says, brings up my credit score. I would recommend this card to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I enjoy using my card, but get tired of paying the 3.00 fee per month when I don't have a balance. Have even considered closing my account because of this. Too many good cards out there to put up with this fee.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

It started out ok. Had no issues for a while. Then one day, I booked a reservation for a hotel with their card on my cell phone. Then there were three fraudulent charges made for $1100. I disputed them. Within 2 weeks, after investigating, they ruled in my favor. The money was credited back to my account. About two months later, they took back their clearance, and charged me the $1100. When I called, they said the other party challenged, and Merrick Bank sided with them. Their reason was, it wasn't fraud since the perpetrator had my address. Of course the perpetrator would have my address along with my credit card number. I disclosed it when I made the reservation, since it was my billing address.

Merrick bank said in order to reopen the fraud claim, I would have to write them a letter. I wrote them a letter, about six weeks went by and nothing happened. When I questioned them, they just said, "We have no letter." I have had many credit cards, and never an issue. Do not do business with them, sooner or later, you will be sorry.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Bad enough getting charged an annual service fee BUT these guys charge you a single payment for the first year. BUT after that they charge you $4.00 monthly. No option to pay the whole year in advance... just plain irritating getting a bill for $4.00 every month. They won't take an advance payment either. If you try to pay the whole year in advance they will send the balance back to you after 90 days and start billing you again. And the obvious... if you were ever late on that $ 4.00 payment... BAM goes on your credit. BIG COMPANY DUMB COMPUTER NONSENSE. FIND A BETTER BANK AND CARD.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I applied for this card and received an approval status and was asked to send my deposit. I sent it and called to verify if they received. The lady in customer service stated, "You will receive a letter." 1st off if you say approved that mean approved. Why would you ask for a deposit and I’m not approved. Then it’s taking 21 days for me to get my money back but took you 5 seconds to snatch it out my account. Furthermore this is a secured card which I’m using my own money so why would I be denied. I do not recommend this card at all. It’s false advertisement.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I was over the limit this month by 18.00. What did these scumbags do?? Reported me to the credit bureaus. No call, email or letter. Absolutely disgusting. Closing card soon. This is beyond unethical!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

There was a block put on my card due to potential fraudulent charges. I needed to use my card and when I called in to address the issue I was put on hold for over an hour before I finally had to give up. I have a screenshot of the call to prove it. There is no doubt the lady on the other end of the phone did not want to help me, put me on hold and left me there.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have over 2500 available credit, but card was decline, I was connected to security department and person by name Carlos, was very rude and because probably he don't like my accent he just give me runaround and hung up on me. I think you shouldn't keep people like this working with the customers. My card is block. You losing money, and this to the longtime loyal customer. Most likely I will never use this card again.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Customer service dept is great as is the credit card in general, never have a problem with these people. The couple times I had to call customer service, they were super friendly and helpful. Didn't charge me anything to replace my cards when I broke them. And when I was off work and missed a payment they didn't call my phone excessively like the others. Thank you Merrick for taking care of your customers!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I tell everyone Merrick is great of all the credit cards. I always will stay with Merrick credit card as soon as I am praying to pay off my other credit cards and then am closing them sticking with only my Merrick credit card. Thank You.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Call center employee MOSES solicited family member SS number. Was told to call back with number. Subsequent Call center contacts refuse to explain the request. Account closed immediately at my request. I wonder what they do with all those Social Security numbers.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I needed to change my payment date on this closed account. I have paid faithfully for over 3 years. The customer service person said they would not do this and that I would be charged a late fee even though the account is closed. They will not cut you any slack even for a couple of days.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have had a Merrick CREDIT CARD account for nearly 18 months. I have found using it as well as making online payments at the web site, reconciling the account, etc., to be a seamless process. I am thankful that Merrick has periodically increased my credit line as I demonstrate responsibility.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

This company, though the rates are high, has always treated me respect. They've monitored my credit at no additional cost, increased by credit limits periodically, and provide awesome customer service when there are fraudulent transactions. I have no complaints. Couldn't give 5 stars because of the high interest rate and annual fee.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I would gladly recommend Merrick Bank. I have never had any issue's using my card both domestically and internationally. Customer service is Friendly and helpful. They give periodic credit line increases (wish you could request) however they do offer them frequently. They offered me credit when I was rebuilding my score and helped me towards achieving the credit score I have today. The credit lines they offer are decent to start. Having a account with Merrick Bank get's you access to your fico score monthly and as I stated friendly customer service. I am happy I accepted the invitation to apply and have not one negative thing to say towards Merrick Bank. If you are looking for a credit card either secured or unsecured I recommend Merrick bank. I've been a happy customer for several years.

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information