3.55/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Merrick Bank Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Following my divorce in 2012 my credit got shot through no real fault of my own. I decided to get the Merrick secured visa to start rebuilding my credit. I've now had the card for about 5-6 years and have always found customer service to be super friendly and helpful. The only real downside to this card was the limited line increases which only happened after about 2-3 years and were initially quite small. However, as my score has increased over time, these have become a bit larger and more frequent. If you're trying to rebuild your credit, and are willing to make payments on time in the future, and have the patience to do so, then I would definitely recommend this card.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

In May of 2019, I was alerted by Merrick Bank that my credit card had been used in a fraudulent transaction. When I received the call, I was actually traveling to Lowe's in Delaware to use my card for purchases I needed. The representative informed me that an immediate cancel and re-issue was needed for my card; but she allowed me to use my card for the immediate purchases I needed, as long as I agreed to call in after I made my purchases and then Merrick would cancel and re-issue. Three months later I lost the re-issued card and had to call back in to perform another cancel and re-issue. In both of those situations, I was treated courteously and respectfully, and the new cards arrived in less than a week.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I'd never heard of Merrick Bank before I received a pre-approval offer in the mail. The promotional offer was too good to pass up, so I applied. I could not be more pleased with this card. Started out as a reasonable and generous credit limit and have been given several increases automatically with no hit to my hard inquiries. Has served to increase my credit score. Monthly FICO scores are ACTUAL FICO scores and not just bureau scores. It took me a little while to adjust to the new website design, but it is straightforward and tells you EXACTLY how much interest will be charged and how long it will take to pay off your balance if you make only the minimum payments. The minimum payment amounts are manageable if you need to use your card for emergencies.

OUTSTANDING customer service. I've never had a problem, so I've never needed to call anyone, but I receive friendly emails and letters when they need to communicate information regarding my account. Merrick Bank provides you with the resources to build a solid credit foundation and they reward responsible credit use!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Highly recommend this credit card for someone who is starting to build credit or trying to repair a bad situation. I’ve never had any issues, unlike other cards out there (credit one I’m looking at you). They are good about increasing your credit automatically for consist on time payments. And I know having a Merrick account helped me get 2 other cards later one. There are no rewards and the annual fee sucks, but so did my credit so it’s worth it in the long run. They do free FICO score check, online/app friendly, and have great customer service reps if you ever have to give them a buzz. Overall, I’m very happy with Merrick Bank and I look forward to being a happy customer for many years.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I would gladly recommend Merrick Bank. I have never had any issue's using my card both domestically and internationally. Customer service is Friendly and helpful. They give periodic credit line increases (wish you could request) however they do offer them frequently. They offered me credit when I was rebuilding my score and helped me towards achieving the credit score I have today. The credit lines they offer are decent to start. Having a account with Merrick Bank get's you access to your fico score monthly and as I stated friendly customer service. I am happy I accepted the invitation to apply and have not one negative thing to say towards Merrick Bank. If you are looking for a credit card either secured or unsecured I recommend Merrick bank. I've been a happy customer for several years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

My experience with Merrick Bank has been exceptional. Online access to my account is easy and quick. Communication from the bank is regular and good. I do not receive a bunch of junk mail or offers which do not interest me. I have received increases to my credit limit as my account history has changed. Nothing to complain about here! Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

We'd actually never heard of this bank until we received an offer in the mail for their card. So glad we did it! It's been a real benefit to our finances AND to our credit score. Of course, we are careful to make our payments on time, and usually pay more than the minimum due. So far, they have increased our credit limit 3 times in the 2 or 3 years we've had the account. Great choice for rebuilding your credit. I would recommend this bank to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I received a letter that had detected that possible fraudulent activity had happened with my card. I spoke w/ a rep who informed me that someone had attempted to use my card for $800 in New York and that they had used my card 2 other times for pizzas for over $100. He asked a few questions and then informed me that my old card would be cancelled and replaced and all the charges would be removed. For me it was a major thing made simple and handled quite well.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Being a loyal customer with Merick Bank all these years, you have never given me a break with my interest rate at all. I believe I should get my interest rate lowered. There has never been any other problems. That's why I only rate you with one star. Why are my interest rates still high?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

So far, has been rather amicable and satisfying! Would like to know why my card credit amount keeps fluctuating at times, but other than that, it’s been a good relationship with Merrick! I would do it again!

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information