3.30/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1644 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: March 30, 2019

I'd never heard of Merrick Bank before I received a pre-approval offer in the mail. The promotional offer was too good to pass up, so I applied. I could not be more pleased with this card. Started out as a reasonable and generous credit limit and have been given several increases automatically with no hit to my hard inquiries. Has served to increase my credit score. Monthly FICO scores are ACTUAL FICO scores and not just bureau scores. It took me a little while to adjust to the new website design, but it is straightforward and tells you EXACTLY how much interest will be charged and how long it will take to pay off your balance if you make only the minimum payments. The minimum payment amounts are manageable if you need to use your card for emergencies.

OUTSTANDING customer service. I've never had a problem, so I've never needed to call anyone, but I receive friendly emails and letters when they need to communicate information regarding my account. Merrick Bank provides you with the resources to build a solid credit foundation and they reward responsible credit use!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I would gladly recommend Merrick Bank. I have never had any issue's using my card both domestically and internationally. Customer service is Friendly and helpful. They give periodic credit line increases (wish you could request) however they do offer them frequently. They offered me credit when I was rebuilding my score and helped me towards achieving the credit score I have today. The credit lines they offer are decent to start. Having a account with Merrick Bank get's you access to your fico score monthly and as I stated friendly customer service. I am happy I accepted the invitation to apply and have not one negative thing to say towards Merrick Bank. If you are looking for a credit card either secured or unsecured I recommend Merrick bank. I've been a happy customer for several years.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have had a Merrick Bank credit card for over two years now. It started with a $700 credit limit when I first got it and I have had regular increases in my limits to now be up to $1900. The card is great. I can check my balances and make payments online and set up regular recurring payments so that I never get charged a late fee. I originally got the card when I had not so great credit. Since then not only have I had the regular credit increases, I’ve qualified to buy a house, and continued to use my card wisely.

My only complaint is the annual fee on the card. I paid the fee and fall as part of my balance when I first got the card in my first year. Now I get charged a fee every month as a partial payments towards my annual fee. In some ways it’s nice to spread out the annual fee, but I have also found out about people who have the same card and don’t pay any fee at all. I understand that my credit was not great when I first got the card but with all of the increases in my credit limit that I’ve gotten you would think that there would have been an offer to waive my annual fee by now.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I was a Merrick Bank customer for several years. NEVER late on a payment, NEVER missed a payment, NEVER failed to pay at least the minimum amount due, and 99% of the time paid more than the minimum, usually rounding it up to the next hundred. Never had any issues. I paid my account off in full last September 2017, and due to having received a Discover IT card, hadn't been using the Merrick Card.

Well, yesterday I received a letter from them stating they had closed my account because I hadn't used it in a year. That wouldn't really matter to me other than, credit scores are based on a credit ratio. The amount of credit you're using out of your overall available credit. That's fine and dandy until one of your cards just up and closes down, leaving you several thousand dollars short in the "available credit" column. That plays hell with a credit score. It happened to me with another card, too. Barclay's. Same thing. I never missed a payment, never late, and never failed to pay minimum amount due, usually rounding it off to the next hundred. It's as though these credit card companies and banks are punishing you for being a really good, responsible customer.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have many credit cards and honestly think this one is my favorite. The interest rate is a little higher, but the way they have it set up makes paying and viewing your bill simple. I can pay my bill the day after a charge and do not have to wait for 30 days or until processing. I prefer to keep my card low, but show activity so paying it within a few days of use is what I like. Many other cards do not allow you to pay days after a charge or you are unable to make multiple payments per month. Merrick Bank is easy to work with and fair. I’ve received multiple credit line increases and am notified by a simple email and have electronic bills. Perfect card for beginners, too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: July 19, 2019

By no means is it a bad card or top tier card. If you someone like me who had Bank of America cripple them. These guys open a decent credit limit card sure fees are dumb but thinking again we use out card and pay random fees all the time. Card doesn't allow requested limit upgrades but they do check and annual. But they been with me for 5 plus years without hidden fee.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I have always been happy with Merrick Credit Cards. Also, consistent Credit line increases are nice. My only wish is they would have a cash rewards card. This is one of the single Cards I have that does not give me rewards. So I must say more often I will reach for any of my reward cards to pay. However, it is still a great card to have in your wallet.

Original review: July 19, 2019

If you want a card that has great or even decent customer service, this is not the company!!!! Each time I had to call customer service, I was phone passed being told I needed to be switched to another department where I was hung up on. I called back, same thing, then I asked for a call back number before being switched again. They gave me one, that when I was hung up on again, I called and was hung up on. I also had 2 disputes. One was successful after several months of back and forth phone and mailing detailed information. Only to have several phone calls about the detailed information I sent and they didn't read. Failed second dispute after same runaround for months. The business was closed and they kept wanting me to contact the closed business. Even after I sent reviews showing when and why the business closed. I would not recommend Merrick!!!!

Original review: July 18, 2019

This is a card for people that don't have a choice due to bad credit. I may have even started out having to put a deposit down to rebuild. The customer service is terrible and the website looks like it is held together by band aids. People who get this credit card don't have a choice. Unfortunately, even though I have rebuilt my credit and have a couple good cards (Citi, AAdvantage and Discover), I can't close this account and still have to pay $6/month fee just because I need the history on my credit report and to show the account as open still.

Original review: July 7, 2019

Merrick deals with people that have credit issues. I got a card after a BK and didn’t spend anything on it except for 1 month (2 months ago). Paid $100 on the $250 balance. Tried the online APP--could not figure it out. Owed them $150 and never heard from them again - except offers for new credit cards. Today I got notice that I was reported to the bureau for a 30 day. I obviously called them - apparently they don’t do email, phone calls, texts, or app notifications- only snail mail that they sent out over a month ago to let me know that I owe them my balance plus $100 for fees. No calls to let me know I owed them anything, what? Good thing for their model is to keep you a ** credit customer so they can keep you at 29.99 or whatever. This company is a POS vampire. Closed my account - paid the balance. Losers.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I have been with the card company for over five years. I use it as a backup to my normal cards. I charge on it a few dollars every month to keep it live. I have never been late, but each time I use the account the purchase is called into question. I was at the store charging $12 and they denied as fraud. A few days later, after calling them, I tried again and they approved then turned off card for potential fraud. This month I was leaving the country and they had my account locked down, so I called my payment in, now they can't find it even though I have an approval number. I paid in full but I am done with this bank. They are the worse. I called in and all the Tatyana could say was they have no record.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I had this credit card for two years. My credit is in good standing. I was employed for many years and for the past year I made every payment on time. I often paid more than the minimum and yet I never received a single increase offer. I then called the card and complained about never receiving an increase so I discussed closing the account. I was told that the yearly fees would be taken away if I closed the account. I made certain that this was correct and the customer service person was certain, so I closed the account. Today July 4 I was told that the first customer service person lied to me and that the yearly fees never go away until the balance is zero, I knew that I would not have closed the account. Be careful. Merrick Bank does not lie to you.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Got a letter in the mail saying I was pre-approved. Nice offer; but when I applied I was declined. I have never missed a CC payment nor a car payment. Why send me the offer? To get my info?? Dont assume these people will treat you right... They won't.

Original review: July 2, 2019

This credit card service really do put customer's help and assistance as product one. Even though most services are computerized the access is very easy and seem to be very accurate. Phone payments are promptly posted. I would recommend this company card to all of my friends and family. Thank You.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I just want to take a few minutes to express my overall satisfaction regarding being a Merrick Credit Card holder. I needed to rebuild my credit and establish a positive payment history in order to buy a new home. Having this card has given me the ability to do just that. The interest rate is a little high but the trade off was getting a second chance which is what Merrick provided me with.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Merrick Bank Visa is a typical Visa card. Nothing special about this card. No cash back bonuses and the interest rate is a typical high rate credit card. The card also charges an annual fee rather than being free.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I've enjoyed being a Merrick Bank customer until I paid the full balance off and took the card out of my wallet with the intentions of using it for gas or emergency purposes. Now, I get interest charges for $0.00 balances. I'm not happy with that at all. How can there be an interest charge for a balance of $0.00?! I may just cut up the card and close the account if I have to pay for just having an open account...

Original review: June 26, 2019

By using the app to make online payments, I am able to avoid the unpleasant and unhelpful customer service reps. I have never had a good experience with Merrick Bank reps. Of the 3 credit cards I use, Merrick is by far the lowest credit limit, offers no rewards that I am aware of, and offers the lowest cash advance.

Original review: June 26, 2019

Merrick has always treated me fair and with respect. Also they have helped me with my credit. Thank you for your service and time in regards to my account. I would highly recommend Merrick Bank to anyone who is looking to get ahead financially.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I am thrilled with the Bank, the Credit Card and the service from the representative I spoke to in early May. I like the look of the credit card. I recommend the Bank to my friends. Keep up the good work.

Original review: June 16, 2019

Of all the many credit card companies I have worked with over the years, Merrick Bank is definitely the best. They have been fair and accurate from the start in the presentation of their offerings. Their phone system is superb for those of us who still prefer this to online tracking. I give them an A+ in all their communications with customers. Thank you, Merrick Bank!!

Original review: June 15, 2019

Bunch of PIMPS! Watch because they will not give you payment alerts. Had some info compromised, called to check. Payment 1 day late, 35$ and "WE CAN TAKE PAYMENT FOR 10 EXTRA DOLLARS." NEVER missed 1 payment. My fault, my responsibility. Just like getting this card paying off, cutting up.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Application was easy. Received the card in a timely manner. Credit line doubled after 6 payments as advertised!! Received another CLI a few months after that. I love the card because of the higher limits! Website is easy to navigate. Payments always post on time.

Original review: June 5, 2019

They have always been fair, friendly, professional and honest, I use my card often, pay my bill on time or mostly early and would recommend Merrick Bank to everyone needing a great credit building card.

Original review: June 5, 2019

When I had fraud on my account (across all of my bank accounts from a case of identity theft), the account rep and security department all but point-blank accused me of lying and neglected to take my account seriously, causing a severe delay of rectifying my situation. Given this mistrust, I will be closing my account as soon as my card is paid off.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Merrick Bank has been good so far! This is my first credit card, and the experience is going well. The app is really helpful for keeping track of everything and making payments. My only complaint is how long it takes to process everything, but I can't really fault the bank for me being impatient.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I have been a good customer, and I never received my double my credit limit. I called to speak to a representative, and she said that there is nothing she could do about that. She never offered any solution.

Original review: May 25, 2019

OMG. I keep a ZERO balance on this card. Decided to use it to purchase a plane ticket. Card was declined!! Went online and saw a past due payment of $4.00!!! WTH! Allen and they said "That's correct ". Asked why don't they take the annual fee out yearly. Response: "We can't do that". Once again. Wth!!!

Original review: May 25, 2019

Bad Customer Service for RV Loan Department. I called Merrick Bank to let them know that I sent a check out for payment. The guy on the phone was rude and not very cooperative. I asked him to notate my account and told him how much I sent. He got mad that I sent total payment to the payment address and pretty much was a jerk about me sending it. I would not recommend this company. This was the only company that the dealership used in which I did not know who it was.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I have had nothing but good experiences with Merrick Bank. They helped me re-establish my credit after a divorce. Their website is easy to use. The phone payment service is very up to date and convenient. I would recommend them to anyone.

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information