3.31/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1606 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 24, 2019

Merrick Bank issued me a credit card with a $2000 credit line, no other banking coops would extend me a credit line of $500, very grateful. I believe Merrick uses their own judgement on credit issue not third parties info. Thanks.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I got a credit card with Merrick Bank to help improve my credit rating. They started me at a low credit limit and as they seen I was on time they increased the limit. This has helped me increase my credit score. For any one truly needed to start over and pay on time this is the bank. Merrick Bank credit card has changed my life and giving me a second chance... because in life we all need it. Thank you Merrick Bank.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I froze my account since January 2019. It’s on automatic payment but unfortunately their apps was not reliable and can not be trusted. Since then I received notice that I was not able to pay on due date so I have to call, and arrange for automatic payment so I will be worry free,, they sound nice but can not be trusted 'cause I have to call every month and paid interest 'cause my automatic is not “on” as they said. It was awful and frustrating! So I don't recommend this company even they give a big line of credit.

Original review: April 18, 2019

APR% is a little on the high side. Would like it to be lower. No rewards with card like points for spending. Such as airfare, restaurants, or hotels. Customer service is helpful due to slow snail mail.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have been a member and card holder for more than 2 years now. Merrick has always been fair with my account, and has given me annual credit increases even without me inquiring about them. Thank you Merrick Bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: April 17, 2019

I don't have any problem with the bank service. Rates and fees are too high. Would really like a break on those two issues. The annual fee is outrageous. Combine that with the interest rate they're just a shade off of loan-sharking.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have been totally satisfied with the online service that I have received since becoming a customer. The monthly account layout and spending breakdown are made so simplified that a baby could understand!

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have been a customer for quite sometime. I've always been a good customer as far as following the rules. They never send out credit card offers for my husband David ** whose score is very high. And they never offer me a lower apr card!

Original review: April 14, 2019

I don't contact the bank that often, but anytime that I have they have been very courteous and professional. I lost my wallet a few months ago and they blocked my account before I realized that my wallet was missing.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Merrick bank has always been very professional and personable with me. They were willing to work with me to keep my account open during a difficult time, and also willing to reward me for fiscal responsibility. I’ve been happy so far!

Original review: April 12, 2019

I've never had an issue with Merrick Bank. I've had their credit card for 2 yes now started with a 700.00 line and increased 6 months later to 1500.00. recently up to 1900.00 line! I do not have the greatest credit history but I make all my payments on time!.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I haven’t ordered anything, but I do use the bank's credit card, I have had no problems so far. The interest rate is fair, and I am constantly informed if there are any changes to my card or the bank. I am very satisfied with Merrick Bank. I would recommend this bank to anyone...

Original review: March 30, 2019

I am very displeased with Merrick Bank. I am currently in the middle of closing on a house. I receive the email from my credit report stating that one of my credit cards was decreased and limits. I checked it out and saw it was in Merrick bank. I called and the representative did not know what she was talking about told me that they do not send out any Paperwork regarding my account being decreased or closed I explained to her very politely that I work for a financial institution and anytime that we make a change to someone’s account. We always send out written disclosures to them. She got off the phone put me on hold to talk to her supervisor came back stated that she stands corrected and yes they did send me out correspondence regarding this account at that moment I was displeased and wanted to speak to a supervisor.

I spoke to the supervisor who was no help and spoke to the manager of the department. Again he was no help. I explain to them that if my house closing gets pushed back or I lose the sale of my home due to I can I close on time I will pursue legal litigation against them.Tthis is all because I haven’t use the card in a year due to me trying to keep my debt to income ratio down.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I've had them for 3 years, a perfect paying customer. I went 1 day late. My BillPay sends a check. It came 1 day late. They don't go by the postmark, they charge you 39.00 if you late regardless when you sent it. They go up with the interest rate. And if you dispute an item it takes 3 months to get resolved, unlike other banks that get it done right away. Be careful with them. Would not recommend!!!

Original review: March 30, 2019

I'd never heard of Merrick Bank before I received a pre-approval offer in the mail. The promotional offer was too good to pass up, so I applied. I could not be more pleased with this card. Started out as a reasonable and generous credit limit and have been given several increases automatically with no hit to my hard inquiries. Has served to increase my credit score. Monthly FICO scores are ACTUAL FICO scores and not just bureau scores. It took me a little while to adjust to the new website design, but it is straightforward and tells you EXACTLY how much interest will be charged and how long it will take to pay off your balance if you make only the minimum payments. The minimum payment amounts are manageable if you need to use your card for emergencies.

OUTSTANDING customer service. I've never had a problem, so I've never needed to call anyone, but I receive friendly emails and letters when they need to communicate information regarding my account. Merrick Bank provides you with the resources to build a solid credit foundation and they reward responsible credit use!

Original review: March 28, 2019

Merrick Bank gave us a chance to get our credit back in order after having some problems with our finances. We appreciate that they were willing to take that chance on us and it provided exactly what we needed to get our credit scores back up and rebuild our credit. The statements, payments, etc. are always easy to read and use and I especially like the GoScore aspect. I check it regularly. Thanks!

Original review: March 28, 2019

First of all, it’s a nice card to have. I really like the pay by phone feature. Merrick has all the information and a few buttons and what feels like seconds later, you're done. Merrick Bank credits cards are the best!!

Original review: March 28, 2019

Have used a Merrick Bank card for a few years now with never a bad experience and frequent credit increases. This card compares to my Capital One card. I tell all my friends this is the one to apply for, when they ask about credit cards.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I've had a CC account with Merrick Bank for around 8 years. I had a lower credit score when it was opened. I've been satisfied with the service but now that my credit is a lot better they dont offer lower rates, nor a way to request a credit increase. I didnt close the account but dont use it anymore, too high APR and limit is too low.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I canceled my credit card. I thought that I read the small print when I applied for the credit card that they were going to charge me $125 right off the bat to have their credit card. Unfortunately I did not see that and when I receive the card I called to activate it and it said that I had a balance so I canceled the card. Why would I pay for stuff when I’ve never even use the card. Way too many fees.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I've been with Merrick for I think a little under a year and I love them. The app is very easy to use my payments go through no problem. My family members also have Merrick credit and they love them as well. Great experience overall!

Original review: March 24, 2019

I have been with Merrick since 2015. Never missed a payment etc. Recently I mistakenly took advantage of a free trial offer. The offer never said anything, anywhere about auto billing or subscribing. I paid a 9.95 shipping for the free 30 day trial. Less than 2 weeks after having received the free 30 day trial, the company charged my account 150.00. I noticed this when I went online to pay my Merrick bill. I immediately called Merrick and explained. They made me call to cancel the subscription I never knew I had! I continuously kept being dragged through the mud by Merrick, had to send in E-mail correspondence from the Company etc. None of the correspondence showed anything about a subscription, EVER! I never received or was mailed the Product I was charged the $150.00 for!

Merrick after over 2 months of follow up on my part, made the decision the charges were legitimate because I didn't cancel the subscription before I was charged. I didn't know I had subscribed to anything until I saw the charges! Additionally, I never was shipped the product they charged me for! So they allowed a scam company to just charge my account for NOTHING, not even any product for it!

I transferred most of my Merrick balance to another credit card. The balance transfer took place on 3-15. On 3-22 Merrick charged me a month interest and still has not credited my account for the large payment made to them from the other credit card company. Of course by not reporting the large payment and a balance change, it hurts my credit. I will be pursuing this further. Merrick treated me like a criminal and still continues to become a part of the scam. Allowing a charge like that and not even receiving the product they charged for! Walk away from this card! Far Away! User Beware.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Merrick Bank was a good credit card for me over the years...how WRONG I was! In October I decided to close my account because of the my monthly budget. I am on permanent disability and have to be careful because I don't have a lot coming in. I closed it on October 21st, 2018 and tried to set up a monthly payment of $60 a month which is all that I can afford. The lowest that they would offer me was $88 a month. I clearly stated to them that I can't afford it. I do not own a home, my car is a 2006 with high mileage (almost paid off) and the only thing I own besides my personal possessions are two places at the local cemetery.

I then wrote to Merrick Bank and received a letter that they were "investigating my case". I called customer service again and was told the same thing $88 a month for 2 years...nothing else. I wrote again but wrote to five of the top people listed with the company: Ms. Lisa Kenney - Senior VP & Chief Operating Officer, Mr. David ** - Managing Director of Lending Age: 61, Mr. David Herzfeld - Chief Operations Officer of Merrick Merchant Services and Senior VP of Merrick Merchant Services, Mr. Steve Scullion - Senior VP & Chief Credit Officer, Ms. Cami Mitchell - Senior Vice President.

I was very honest with them in the letter and sent the same to each detailing my situation, my desire to pay what I owed on October 21st, and that I could pay $60 a month. Did I hear back from any of the above? NO! I received another letter back from customer service that they were "investigating" it again. Every month they added interest and fees to my account but they did not write a return response. How rude and inconsiderate of them!

I called again this evening and guess what...SAME RESPONSE from them! They kept saying "WE UNDERSTAND". They continued to over and over again state the higher amount that I could not afford for 24 months. I for the 100th time told them that all I could afford is a $60 a month, could they take that for a longer number of months? Again they said they "understood" but I kept repeating that all I could afford is $60 and they kept offering me $88!!! The defintion of "UNDERSTAND" as a verb: to know or realize the meaning of words, a language, what someone says, etc. This is still not settled although I have tried for 6 mos. to do the right thing. I am very disappointed in Merrick Bank.

Original review: March 16, 2019

For 6 days I have tried to log on to the site. I have a payment due soon and am concerned reading other bad reviews of this card. Up to this point I have been satisfied with the card and now am suspect. I imagine that there will be repercussions if I have a late payment at their fault. Perhaps the narcissistic streak runs deep in this company with them claiming no fault and blaming the customers. I will be paying the balance and closing the card after balance is paid. Yuck, I hate fraudsters! Also, contacting the company is difficult. No e-mail contact, no chat. Very unsatisfied with the lack of communication.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Merrick Bank purposely deceived that I was in good hands about a transaction to allow the date to pass. Then promise me corporate would call me and never happens. Then turn from victim to villain when they worked hand and foot with the merchant to steal from me because I would have went to the reservation if I was not assured that I was safe. Plus John at disputes told me that a recording I got was worthless of me being promised a refund. That sounds like two thieves working together to steal. In fact 230pm 3-11-19 Woodbury New York fire him and gimme my money. Also I keep getting promised calls from corporate that they refuse to give me.

Original review: March 9, 2019

The day I activated the card I kept getting denied purchases. Frustrated, I called customer service to find out $130 in charges had already been applied before the card was even activated by me. I thought my information was stolen! Come to find it was a "set up fee" and an "annual fee" charged literally before I even received the card. SCAM ARTISTS!

Original review: March 7, 2019

I enrolled into their DEBT MANAGEMENT PROGRAM upon being laid off along with other companies I have credit cards with. I merely called with a simple request to CHANGE due date. I first got a rep named HILTON and he IMMEDIATELY insisted I should be speaking with Debt Management Dept and BLIND TRANSFERRED the call. After being on hold for 10 mins, a female answered but never identified herself. When asked, she gave the name Gina. I had to submit all my info again, card #, etc.

I requested to change due date allowing time for Consumer Credit Counseling to process payments for sending. Gina immediately said: "I can't," insisted I should be talking to customer services and wanted to transfer me back?! I refused. Hence, this REVIEW! Most of my credit card companies advised me, due date doesn't matter, once ACCOUNT CLOSED. Twenty mins online with so-called CUSTOMER SERVICES REPS WHO "DON'T" SERVICE CUSTOMER? Now, I'm extremely relieved that this account IS CLOSED!!!

Original review: March 4, 2019

Last year, in 2018, I received an e-mail notification and a telephone call from the fraud department at Merrick Bank. There were three unauthorized credit card purchases made to my credit card account. The fraud department immediately shut down my account to prevent additional damage. I was fully protected from any liability and my account was fully restored within a short period. Thank you Merrick Bank.

Original review: March 3, 2019

This company will not lower your interest rate, even after a year of on time payments. I have been charged nine dollars a month for having the card. I pay a little over my monthly payment of forty-eight dollars and the balance is still the same. I got the card to build credit. This is the worse card/company to ever deal with. I beg everyone to stay away from this company, or you will be trapped. Fyi, I have never been late with a payment, nor have I missed a payment.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Highly recommend this credit card for someone who is starting to build credit or trying to repair a bad situation. I’ve never had any issues, unlike other cards out there (credit one I’m looking at you). They are good about increasing your credit automatically for consist on time payments. And I know having a Merrick account helped me get 2 other cards later one. There are no rewards and the annual fee sucks, but so did my credit so it’s worth it in the long run. They do free FICO score check, online/app friendly, and have great customer service reps if you ever have to give them a buzz. Overall, I’m very happy with Merrick Bank and I look forward to being a happy customer for many years.

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information