3.37/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1543 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

What stand out about my experience with Merrick Bank is that recently your online webpage changed and I had a hard time adjusting to it. Also, the balance of my credit card account is not current. I never know what the actual balance is.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Tried to fill out a secured application online for both myself and SO. Mine failed and I got a thing on their web page that said APPLICATION ERROR that said DO IT AGAIN, so I did and it was rejected-though I did get an email that said they would ignore my attempt?!?! Did the one for the SO and Got the APPLICATION ERROR DO IT AGAIN on their site for his (this time using a different browser) and by that point knew NOT to do it again. I PRAY this doesn't hurt our credit scores, will be calling them tomorrow (it's Sunday eve) but I am UPSET. You put in all that sensitive info, and take a knock on your credit to get hit with THIS? Not a good start. Oh and as of this moment, I have 4 different Ph numbers for them. 800 429 2322, 800 429 5094, 800 660 8953, 855 962 3066. This is just getting scary creepy! Not very professional.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Merrick Bank makes it easy to check balances and their mobile app is the best for making payments, have nothing but pleasant experience with this company. The option of credit line increases every six months is really appreciated. Rather you accept the increase or not it a nice option to have.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I have had Merrick Bank for 2 years. I always paid on time. I sometimes paid my balance off. They gave me a small credit increase. I feel that was a slap in the face. I feel I should have gotten at least 1,000 increase. Dissatisfied Customer.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I would most definitely recommend Merrick Bank credit card. This credit card company gives people a chance to not only have a credit card with a decent amount to start off with but if your payment is on time. You have a good chance of getting raise in your credit limit. If it had 6 stars, I would. Thanks. Satisfied customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Overall the experience is alright, the new updates have made the bank more easy to use. However I don't like the practice of having to wait an entire week after payment has left my bank account for the available credit to be applied to my account for use. The payment system is still very dinosaur compared to Capital One that allows debit card payments that charge instantly and fully process within 2 days. This is the biggest reason why in the future Merrick will be paid off and left in the shoe box. It just takes too much time and hassle to try to pay you guys, as money does not just sit in my account for days on end.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I like that they gave me a chance with their credit card as I was trying to rebuild my credit. I have had increases in spending and have never missed a payment in three years. The downside is that even though I feel that I have somewhat gained trustworthiness that they will not lower my apr which is quite high.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Merrick bank offers an excellent way to take an active part in improving your credit scores. Their terms are fair and they are not one of these promo acct. rip-offs that are set up to fail. Merrick Bank really has individuals in mind and work hard to help their customers become better prepared to meet today's obligations.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have been with Merrick bank a little while now. They actually have a real person that is available to talk to if you feel the need when you call for anything. Sure it's nice to have automated system but it's better they have people available to assist. Also never had an issue with use of card or any other issue. I like it here and will be here for a while.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I opened an account with this bank. I had the account for about three months. I would send my payment in at least 1 week prior to the due date. Each month they tried to charge me late fees saying that my payments were late. When I asked them what the postage date stamp said they told me they don't keep that. I closed my account.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

My experience with Merrick Bank has been a blessing. It's given me a chance to uphold/reestablish my credit status at the same time and to prove that l can pay my bill on time every time, and with a increase off and on.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have never had an a bad experience within Merrick. Never. As a matter of fact every time they see me hitting my limit they have always been kind enough to raise it. Thank you very much Merrick, I don’t think we have ever been late with a payment. Love them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

There were unauthorized charges on my account last spring. The incident was reported to the fraud department and requested that authorized user be removed just in case there was a compromise. Charges still went thru after I changed passwords and cancelled card. Merrick held me responsible for some of the charges after proving it was fraud. Very disappointed and will pay off balance and not use the card.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Never had a problem with Merrick Bank. In fact of all the credit cards I have I would rate Merrick bank as the best. The Merrick bank app is very easy to use for scheduling payments and has useful features such as due date reminders and high balance notifications. For anyone looking to rebuild or establish credit I strongly recommend Merrick Bank.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Made my first payment and upon making the payment was told funds would be available the next business day. Funds processed through my bank and cleared on Monday the 17th. Decided to use this card to go on vacation and it declined on my first attempt to buy gas on Saturday the 22nd around noon. I called customer service and asked what was going on and he said he would ask his supervisor but would not let me speak to the supervisor about the issue and that I needed to call back in 2 hours.

I waited 5 hours and called back to be told that the last representative I spoke to said I was told that I needed a bank statement showing it cleared my bank account. This never happened. The case is I paid the bill with my business account and they need to verify ownership of the account before they post the payment to the account by calling the bank and asking the bank to verify my ownership and that the correct amount of the payment had processed like with every other of my 4 credit card I have had to do this with. Instead the second representative decided to argue and tell me no he needed a bank statement copy front and back showing the payment cleared before they would release my payment as processed. Then refused to cancel the account or let me speak to a supervisor.

Problem 1: a bank statement will not be issued until the end of the month and most likely will be delayed because of it being December 31st. Problem 2: this will still not prove ownership of the account from a copy of the business bank statement and the bank will still have to be called. Advice: Deal with a different company that understands that the customer may have some insight about situations that they do not have experience dealing with and to respect their customers because without customers they do not have jobs. Very unprofessional and would not cancel the card either when I asked them to but instead continued feeding me a line about a bank statement. I do not feel comfortable with them viewing my business banking statement transaction left either to be quite frank. I eventually hung up because we were not getting anywhere.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I paid off the statement balance and the day after the check cleared the account showed a 0 balance. They then tried to debit my savings account for 50.00 which was returned. Now they show a 20.00 balance on the card.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have had a Visa credit card with Merrick Bank for several years. I would use it occasionally as a backup. I always paid on time and never had a problem until now. I went to their website online and found that my account had been closed. I called to ask why and was told it was because of no activity in 6 months and it could not be reversed. I am very unhappy about this because they never notified me of what they did. I'm glad I wasn't depending on this card. I will not do business with Merrick Bank again.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I called them to see about waiving the $4 a month annual fee and that I wasn't interest in paying them to use their card. They told me that there wasn't anything they could do. They are liars because every other card company can do something about except them. It was easy for them to lose my business over $4 a month, they didn't care. I would not get this care. Find someone else like Capital One or something.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I got a pre-approval today. Applied, got denied. Seems ridiculous I am pre-approved to just get denied. This is the 2nd time in two months they sent me a pre-approval. My credit hasn't changed for them to deny me. They need to stop sending me these stupid pre-approvals. All other cards I have gotten pre-approvals for have accepted and sent me cards, but this one is a joke!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Merrick Bank loves to send pre-approved credit card applications, then reject the applicant. Merrick Bank needs to get itself together. This bank is one of the worst in the USA for many reasons because it DOES NOT care about the consumer.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I just received in today's mail an offer for a "doubling of a limit" if I paid my account on time. It was an offer based on a pre-screen. I have had a wonderful experience with Capital One so I thought I would expand my options and apply for an additional card. I read many of the one-star ratings in addition to the 5-star ratings. I reviewed the company's website and bank ratings and determined that I should apply. Well, you guessed it. An immediate decline. I will get the information as to why in the mail next week. The pre-screen seems like a sham. So, beware.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Thought I was good using this bank to help build up my credit. Well, found I was dead wrong!! I used my available credit. I mean most of it. Like a responsible person was never late. Yes, I spent too much. Thinking it was a good thing. I paid it off. Stuck the card in a drawer so I wouldn't be tempted to go crazy again. Because I knew I had paid it off even left an average on the account. I hadn't checked on it. Well in the months I hadn't used it apparently I was incurring fees. Not a lot. Just $4 a month. As I said never late. Paid off. Didn't know there were still fees. Well now 90 days in Seriously Delinquent hits my credit report. I'm at a loss. I've been on top of my bills, most are paid off, not sure where this is coming from. Pull my report. Sure enough it's Merrick. They reported it seriously delinquent for $23, not only that they closed the account.

So not only did they hit my credit rating. What if I had decided to use the account. You know how embarrassing it is to have your card declined! I understand that's practice but what about notice. I was never informed. They took all this negative action against me and yet not a notice. They talk about helping to helping your credit rating, being a better consumer. Maybe they should actually practice this. Sorry went on a rant. So I contacted Merrick to clear this up because really $23 compared to the $1000s I've had on credit. What happens. There is nothing they can do. Really?!! I can't pay the $23. Not even an option. How about clearing the report. You know the one that says Never Late balance paid but seriously delinquent. It's like I got penalized for paying off the card. Thanks for the experience. I will make sure to always avoid services like yours in the future.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My experience with Merrick has been, unequivocally, outstanding in every regard. They are generous with clients who have, in their own words, maintained their account in an excellent manner! I appreciate their candor and the manner in which they treat their clients.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

No complaints. My experience with Merrick has been positive. I make payments by due date, usually more than minimum and have been rewarded with 2 increases in credit line. Merrick has been a good vehicle for repairing my damaged credit. I will continue to use their card.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I responded to their mailer, and found that there was no annual fee, and they would reward my on time payments with a credit increase. Yes, the interest rate is higher than most, but at a time when I needed to start rebuilding my credit, they sent me a card.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

High interest rate rip off. Merrick doesn't look at timely payments for an interest reduction. Pretty sad since some people only have to choose a high int card as a temporary means because of fraud that turned into bankruptcy.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I really enjoy the new look of Merrick Bank online. It’s easy to use and shows all of my relevant information upfront. The payments are quick and easy to make as well. Overall, a great card and a great user experience.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Having the Merrick card has been excellent for us. As promised after 7 months they doubled our credit line. Since then in a total of 14 months we have had 2 more credit line increases, almost tripling our original credit line. Payments are posted same day as long as the payment is made before the close of business. Our statements are available online within a day or 2 of the close of month. The app is very easy to maneuver through.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

After 5 years of being an EXCELLENT CUSTOMER, NEVER a late fee, usually paid entire monthly balance and bringing my FICO from 500 to 707, Merrick Bank will NOT are negotiate the TERMS. I called today, 11/26/18, to ask to remove the monthly $4 fee and was told “NO, we NEVER are negotiate our terms”. So basically Merrick Bank has ZERO appreciation for GREAT CUSTOMERS! Don’t be sucked in by this bank. They’ll do NOTHING to help you once you’ve re-established your credit. Try something, ANYTHING else. An UnAppreciated LOYAL Merrick Customer.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I received a pre approve letter in the mail. Thought about it for a while, did some research. Since I had just purchased a car, I figured I could use another line of credit to try and boost my credit score. Applied and was decline. Question: Why send a preapproved letter and then declined it? SMDH!!!

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information