3.59/5
Based on 261 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

1367 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I have been a customer of Merrick Bank since 2012 . Never late with payments. In November, 2017 one of my other credit cards was hack into First Saving. The hackers got into my checking accounts and changed my address to Miami, FLA. Our money was not available. This was a mess. My husband and I live on his social security. For December payment I stop recurring payments because of this. I made my payment 5 days after due date. The csr waived late fee and said, "Don't worry. It all good." The next month MB proceeded to take 92.00 out of my account instead of the 39.00 which was never mentioned to me when I called the bank to let them know what was going on. I did not plan for this amount and I keep exact amount in my checking account because of being hack into. That checking account is now closed because of the hackers.

Merrick reported to the agency that I was 30 days late which I was not. They got the payment of 39.00 on December 18th and waived fees. January they tried to take out of my account 92.00 for non payment in December which was paid along with January's payment of 39.00 plus another late fee. I called them to again let them know what happened and that I have letters from the bank explaining what happened. The csr said that Merrick NEVER changes credit reports and that they could not connect me with the credit department or a supervisor but they will waive the late fee for January. They did not care if I was hack into or not I was late which I was not. I have called Merrick Bank everyday and the story is different when asking for an address of the president of the bank of name I was told they did not know it. When ask to be transferred to a supervisor I was told there were not available every time I called which was 2-15, 16, 17, 18, 19 & 20.

If American Express, Citibank, Capital One could help when I called them why can't this bank. I would not do business with this bank again. They have no customer service skills. They don't care about the consumer. My total amount that I owe is 530.00 which I paid off already the past due which was not past due was 39.00. As I mentioned this account is 6 years old and I never was a day late. Now that I had this problem this is how they treat their customers. This is disgraceful that they would do this to anyone especially senior citizens. I am sorry I even got involved with this bank; Please anyone who is reading this close your account. This bank is a disgrace. They do not deserve to be in business.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I'm in the middle to repairing my credit and was only getting offers for secured cards, or $300 limit cards. Merrick just offered $750 which I consider pretty good for my credit score. It comes with an offer to double that limit to $1,500 after 7 months. I don't carry any balances on my cards - pay off the entire balance when the bill comes due, so this will be a very welcomed $1,500 credit card in 7 months. Not bad. The goal obviously is to get my score up farther where I can cancel cards like this that have annual fees, but I'm not there quite yet.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I mailed a check to them and my other creditors 18 days ago. All other creditors have received their check, posted the payment and my check has cleared. Merrick is the only bank who hasn't. Mind you, I'm paying the entire balance. My payment is due today. I'm not certain what their problem might be but clearly there is one. They have doubled my credit limit twice so I do pay on time.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I just spoke with one of their representatives and inquired about the free FICO score check they offer. Do not do it as it is considered a Hard Hit on your credit reporting. This is NOT disclosed and I would consider it a breach of some sort as the consumer is not aware of this hit before it is done. There is no clear literature offered before the consumer hits enter.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Pissed off Customer who was literally lied to about a pre-approved letter after log in to site to apply for the Pre-approved Visa Card that Merrick Bank Sent Me. I was Denied, Totally ** Because I’m Driven a Brand New Car that I Bought a Year ago & I've made every payment on time, I've got 5 Credit Cards that are all Platinum Cards, I've got a Visa Gold Card with a Unlimited Limit, My Credit Score is 650+, Just Purchased & Built a Brand New $300,000 Dollar Home & You Guys Still Denied me one of Your ** Credit Cards. I will Take my Business elsewhere & I hope you lose Customers over this Review Because you guys have one Highly Pissed Customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

After having been a customer of Merrick Bank with platinum Visa card, I was just informed that my account was closed due to inactivity and would not be reopened. No communication was received warning of my imminent account closure, just a letter stating that it was closed! This is what almost 7 years of good standing and on time payments (NOT a single late payment) will get you. A call to customer service gave me the same information. All they could do for me is file a complaint, but the account could not be reopened. I was not even offered an opportunity to open a new account. Great customer retention! I am truly disappointed in Merrick Bank.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Merrick Bank is incredible. Their customer service is always helpful. When I was in need of help because of Hurricane Irma, Merrick Bank was the only credit card company who immediately and without question helped me out on deferring my payments with no penalties. THANK YOU MERRICK BANK!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I am really happy and excited about the app. I have all of my information available as soon as I need it without having to get to a computer. Being able to pay through the app is also helpful. I appreciate Merrick Bank allowing me to establish and build my credit profile and I look forward to continuing to be a satisfied customer.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

First customer service representative I spoke with never processed the request to mail me a new card. She did process the name change, but I never received a new card. Second customer service representative I spoke with apologized and sent me a new card with expedited shipping. Interest rates too high, no cashback or other rewards offered. I've already applied for and received a Capital One Quicksilver card offering 1.5% cashback. If Merrick Bank doesn't keep up with other major banks offering rewards, by the end of 2018 I'll be canceling my card in favor of the Capital One Quicksilver card.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Merrick Bank is great! I am really glad to have this credit card as it helps out a lot and is easy use the features. The limit of the card is sufficient now that I have had it for sometime paying my dues. Customer service is excellent as I can pay my balance/minimum by phone or online!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I've been with Merrick Bank for a little under a year now, I've never had any problems with them. The app runs smoothly, the site is easy to navigate, and any questions I have are answered in a timely manner.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I have been with Wells Fargo for 26 years. I branched out to Merrick Bank for an extra credit card when fraud charges began appearing on my credit cards at WF. I have had three occasions to speak to Merrick reps and all I can say is that the company hires "Wonderful human beings!" As far as the website... Amazingly simple to use! As far as the service from Merrick... It is tops! If there was a Merrick Bank near my home, I'd transfer my money and open accounts at it, because I've only had absolutely positive experiences.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Only complaint is that my billing due comes out before my actual statement is available. Very happy with line being doubling for on-time payments! Payments are easy to do as well. I like having to confirm my ID everytime as well.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

They told me "make your payments on time for 6 months and we will double your limit". It happened without me making a call. A couple days after my 6th payment the increase was there. They would get 7 stars if possible. If you do what they ask they will do what they say.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I received a preapproved statement in the mail today. My credit isn't perfect but i have nothing negative new in several years. I just paid off a 5 year car loan and I have 5 other major credit cards. I decided to go ahead with this preapproval just to open up my debt to credit ratio. I was denied credit with this company. What exactly does preapproval mean if you're not actually preapproved? It's just a scam to get you to apply for their card with no preapproval criteria met on their end. Just took a hit on a credit inquiry for nothing. You would think with charging the high interest rate and yearly fee, they would accept someone with 97% credit pay rate that I have on my report.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

They offered me a credit card when I was in the rebuilding process. I have not had any bad experiences. They have been good to me. As long as I pay on time and keep my card in good standing they increase my credit limit. Thanks!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Merrick Bank gave me a card when the other banks wouldn't. For that I'm grateful. It really helped my credit score. They doubled my limit just like they promised and even bumped it up a couple more times. But now I have cards without annual fees and way cheaper interest. They don't offer cards without the annual fees and they never lower the interest. This is a rebuilder card and it is what it will always be. So, I just make a small purchase occasionally, pay it off, and put it back up. To help with the credit utilization.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Merrick Bank provides a safe way to extend credit services to me as a customer. They are fair and watchful of usage in unfamiliar locations by verification process which I respect, and a reminder to me to pre-inform of travel use to avoid decline.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

The online app is poorly designed at best. I check the remember me box, and it usually does not remember my userid so I have to enter it again. It would be nice if you could see statements or at least a summary through the app. Sometimes I need to login online (I.e., through my computer because I cannot see what I need to see through the app on my phone and iPad). I would like to see the balance as of my last statement, not just the current balance and minimum payment. I want to see what I need to pay without incurring finance charges. I cannot see this in the app.

Also, some of the features in the app are not user friendly. For example, when looking at Recent Transactions, there is a bar that is labeled 'Pending Transactions'. You have to click on the down arrow to get it to actually show you the pending transaction. You should be able to click anywhere on the blue bar to get it to work. Also, there should be a way to go back further to see transactions further back - say about 3 months worth. The Search transactions function should allow you to search for an amount in addition to or instead of (option) Merchant Name. Also, when you enter the search criteria, you should be able to just hit enter to get it to search.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

My experiences have been fine. Only reason for contacting the bank was to get my due date changed. Whereas they were very compliant their process was different and a bit confusing compared to some of the other banks. And on a personal note, their CSRs could loosen up a bit and be a bit more friendly! Joking ??? Was not their top note??? Otherwise I would recommend them!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I had a question about my credit card balance and was helped by one of the best customer service reps I have ever had in my life. She was very friendly and helpful. Hope you are able to look her name up and give her a raise and keep her. BTW she spoke perfect English which is important to me, especially these days, plus I was a customer rep myself once. Great doing business with you.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I found Merrick to be a great bank to have a credit card through. They are prompt with adverse issues, and doubled my credit line after showing good faith without my asking. I have a card with another bank, and do not get this same courtesy. Thank you for your service.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I have been recovering from my wife's death and a foreclosure; Merrick Bank has given me the extra financial flexibility that I've needed raising 2 kids. I was expecting my credit line to increase when they said it would... and it did. Things are getting better for us... in part thanks to Merrick Bank.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I would recommend Merrick Bank, My experience has been positive. Opened account in May of this year with a client of $550. Within 6 month limit went to $1100 which was great. It help boost my credit score, so I look forward to sticking around, and I encourage my friends to apply as well.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Merrick's outstanding means to be accurate & fair means the most to me. Also the fact that they're trustworthy and dependable. If they say that you're due for a credit line increase they honor that date. Impressive!!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have decided to write a Review on Behalf of my Credit Card with Merrick Bank. I apply for a credit card with Merrick Bank last year on August 2016. I thought I will be denied due to my credit score. I was very surprise that this Bank gave me a credit card with $500.00 and I had an increase in 6 month of $500. I pay my card before my due date which is the 21st of each month. I have never had any problems with accessing their website. They have everything up to date on my account. Their fees are reasonable and my credit score has been going up.

I am truly Thankful To Merrick Bank for giving me an opportunity to built my credit in a responsible way and for trusting me with their credit amount. I will keep Merrick Bank card as my favorite use and I will permanently keep them as my creditor. Thank You Merrick for choosing me as one of your customer. I will continue to tell my friends and family members that when other Banks with high interest and offered only a 300.00 dollar card Merrick Bank offer me a 500.00 dollar credit card. To those who want to built your credit with this bank my advice is to PAY way ahead and use your card wisely.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have been very impressed with the Merrick Bank credit card. Their customer service is always stellar and the way that they calculate fees, etc is fair and keeps their customers in mind. I would highly recommend this company to my friends.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have been with Merrick for about 8 months and one of the reasons I signed up is because of the double your credit line. Well after 7 statements and on time payments as promise. My credit line was double. In addition they process payments fast.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

The first time I used this card to make a purchase and the credit card company fails to notify me of my payment date or send a bill. However, the company was very good about sending me a late payment reminder. Very poor performance! I will be paying off my balance and closing this account.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I’ve had my account for about 8 months. I have no complaints!! Merrick said, "Pay on time, establish a reliable, consistent payment record, and we’ll reward you." I did, and they did. Be an adult, be responsible, and you’ll be treated accordingly. I have no problems with how Merrick has dealt with me, and you shouldn’t either.

Merrick Bank Company Information

onlineoffer.merrickbank.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use