3.54/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1510 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

These idiots don’t even know who they are loaning money to. Everyone should borrow money from them and not pay it back because they will bill somebody else. I know, they have turned me over to a collection agency and I never heard of them before.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My experience with Merrick has been extremely positive. Their online payment system makes it super easy to pay my credit card and most important they are not intrusive like many other card services can be. Their customer service is helpful and they don’t outsource their care.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Not a bad card at all. Just make sure you make your payments on time and everything is ok. They always give you a credit increase after few months long as payments are on time... Definitely helped me raise my credit and gave me a chance at a credit card when no other card would approve me.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have had a Merrick Bank credit card for over two years now. It started with a $700 credit limit when I first got it and I have had regular increases in my limits to now be up to $1900. The card is great. I can check my balances and make payments online and set up regular recurring payments so that I never get charged a late fee. I originally got the card when I had not so great credit. Since then not only have I had the regular credit increases, I’ve qualified to buy a house, and continued to use my card wisely.

My only complaint is the annual fee on the card. I paid the fee and fall as part of my balance when I first got the card in my first year. Now I get charged a fee every month as a partial payments towards my annual fee. In some ways it’s nice to spread out the annual fee, but I have also found out about people who have the same card and don’t pay any fee at all. I understand that my credit was not great when I first got the card but with all of the increases in my credit limit that I’ve gotten you would think that there would have been an offer to waive my annual fee by now.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I think it's a good card so far except for the activation fees are ridiculous but I think it would be hopefully a good card. It's been good to me so far and I think giving people 500 credit men taking part of that but these you should give him a little more credit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I love my Merrick credit card. I have no complaints. I pay everything on time. And I have had zero issues with my card. Merrick raises my credit every few months because I always pay on time and I Love that! Thank you Merrick.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been a satisfied Merrick card holder since 2014. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the service I have received. Whenever I have a problem Customer service is always very courteous and helpful. They listen to my issue and are very helpful and committed to getting it resolved. I get fraud alerts whenever they suspect suspicious activity which gives me peace of mind. They also give periodic credit line increases which is also great. I would definitely recommend Merrick to anyone looking to open a credit card account.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

For years I used cash only and had no credit. I was fortunate to find Merrick Bank almost a decade ago. They have consistently served my needs while building my credit. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Merrick Bank extended credit to me during a time of need, I have been faithful in making payments toward my account, as a result I have been extended credit beyond the original allowance two additional times, this showed me that they have confidence in helping me to receive earned benefits. I am thankful for the way in which they are doing business.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Merrick Bank was extremely instrumental in helping me to rebuild my credit following a divorce. With timely payments, often in excess of the minimum due, my credit line was consistently increased. They did NOT charge outrageous annual fees which I found was a condition of many other credit cards I received. I have always found their representatives to be friendly and helpful. My credit score steadily increased and I found it very convenient to be able to monitor my Transunion score right on the website. Overall my experience has been very positive. Rebuilding credit is a process that requires responsible account management and patience.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

So I had this card, got divorced and couldn't pay my credit card bills. Instead of filing bankruptcy I did credit counseling and paid them off thru them. Well that was over 8 years ago and recently I applied for a loan and got turned down because one of my accounts (Merrick is only 1 left on there) reported my account in debt consolidation. I have asked Experian to remove this account for the second time now and if it doesn't get removed next step will be Better Business Bureau. This is ridiculous. I paid my debt to them and they're going to flag my credit forever. Don't trust them. They charge to much interest anyway. I have excellent credit now however this is not the end until this gets resolved.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I've had a Merrick credit card for only 1 year. I had only used it in the beginning and paid it off right away. They did double my credit line in 5 months. So that was great. I have several other credit and try to keep my balances low. I use them only when I need them. I just received a very short letter stating that they are closing my card due to inactivity. I thought I was only able to close the account unless it was in default, which is not the case. I am very confused.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I refinanced my home to pay off my credit cards, which Merrick was one. All the other cards posted within 7 days. When I called Merrick I was told it takes 7 to 10 days to post. On day 10 I was told it takes 10 to 14 days. They charge interest daily and really milk you out for every penny they can.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

This is not a good company. I received a application in the mail from Merrick Bank saying I was pre-approved for a credit card. They had already seen my credit and made decision to send me an application. I was not approved online. I thought this was STUPID because who sends a pre-approved application and not approve the person with the certificate pre-approved information. Does not make any sense to me. I called customer service and she didn't know anything. She gave me the address Merrick bank credit card or call back on Monday. She sounded like she was a new customer service rep.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I was a Merrick Bank customer for several years. NEVER late on a payment, NEVER missed a payment, NEVER failed to pay at least the minimum amount due, and 99% of the time paid more than the minimum, usually rounding it up to the next hundred. Never had any issues. I paid my account off in full last September 2017, and due to having received a Discover IT card, hadn't been using the Merrick Card.

Well, yesterday I received a letter from them stating they had closed my account because I hadn't used it in a year. That wouldn't really matter to me other than, credit scores are based on a credit ratio. The amount of credit you're using out of your overall available credit. That's fine and dandy until one of your cards just up and closes down, leaving you several thousand dollars short in the "available credit" column. That plays hell with a credit score. It happened to me with another card, too. Barclay's. Same thing. I never missed a payment, never late, and never failed to pay minimum amount due, usually rounding it off to the next hundred. It's as though these credit card companies and banks are punishing you for being a really good, responsible customer.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Merrick Bank was one of my first cards I applied for after my divorce. At the time, I had little to no credit. I was approved and worked diligently towards building my credit. They were the first creditor to increase my limits. They are easy to work with and have friendly and helpful staff. I look forward to remaining a loyal customer for years to come.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

What I like about this company was the representative that answered the call. Very polite and helpful. I don’t wait for long to get someone to talk to me. Few questions from the computer and I am talking to real person. We don’t have Merrick Bank in my area. I wish we do.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have many credit cards and honestly think this one is my favorite. The interest rate is a little higher, but the way they have it set up makes paying and viewing your bill simple. I can pay my bill the day after a charge and do not have to wait for 30 days or until processing. I prefer to keep my card low, but show activity so paying it within a few days of use is what I like. Many other cards do not allow you to pay days after a charge or you are unable to make multiple payments per month. Merrick Bank is easy to work with and fair. I’ve received multiple credit line increases and am notified by a simple email and have electronic bills. Perfect card for beginners, too.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have had a Merrick Credit card for about 2 years and there's no way to request a credit line increase. No late payments and have always paid hundreds more than minimum due. I have $90,000 in a line of credit account and can only spend it with checks or my credit cards. I love my Merrick card but they are missing out on large profits as I am forced to use my other cards. I will provide a copy of my bank statement if it will get me a credit line increase. I am forced to apply for other cards to meet my credit needs as I am remodeling my home.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We needed a card to re-establish credit with, and Merrick was perfect. They provided credit score info, were easy to work with in terms of online payments, and increased our credit over time. Have recommended to others.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I would recommend Merrick Bank. I love that you are able to make payments online in many different ways, not just with a checking account. Your limits will increase when you pay on time with no charge.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

After our bankruptcy, we were so concerned about obtaining credit again. Merrick took a chance on us and we have been perfect with our payment history. They even increased our limit three times! Thank you Merrick for giving us the chance to prove ourselves worthy.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

So far I am extremely pleased with all dealings with Merrick Bank! While I do have cards with other banks, this has become my favorite to use, as customer service is excellent, and they have been appreciative of my business!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have had only good results with you. Only one problem, I have recently had changes in my insurance... now $650 a month deductible. I had surgery in May with follow up visits. Prior to this, ALL medical was covered. Because I receive $20 more a month on SSDI, I now have $650 mo deductible. This has caused many problems... Aug 14th I lost sight in my left eye... and have now gone to 4 eye doctors in an attempt to find the problem. Now I understand that is not your problem. But just wanted to explain, I am short on cash. I had set up auto payment, but had to cancel because I didnt have the funds. I called to see if I could set up auto pmt for 10-4-18 for $100 to avoid a late payment penalty, but was told they dont do that. So... my payment is late and I HATE that. I have not missed a payment so that might be something to consider...

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

While the interest rates can be cringe-worthy after the 1st year, Merrick is not a bad way to rebuild from a devastating financial disaster. I would recommend once you have rebuilt yourself to find better and cheaper alternatives.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have had my problems with paying the bill online at times because I've had trouble getting in the bank site, so I can pay my bill. Since I'm pretty bad on a computer anyway, I get really disgusted with myself for not knowing how or what to do. I give up and that cost me money cause it makes me late on my payment. I think the bank thinks I don't pay my bill on time because I don't want to. 99.9% is what I wrote above that. 1% happens but it isn't normal, but anyway lately I seem to be getting in a little easier. Now that I said next time I go to pay it, it will probably be a pain in the neck again.

I know if all else fails call the helpline. I have a hard time figuring out what or how to explain what my problem is. I have called twice. The first time was a young woman, she helped me right through it, but the second time was some guy which, took a long time back and forth with him 'til we figured it out, and then ended up costing me money which wouldn't have happened if I could have got in to pay my bill. Now that I got that off of my chest, either wise I like the way everything works that I have seen.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I made a payment twice on my account. The payment shows in your record as pending from the same account I have used in the past. Yes was I able to charge on my card. I asked that the hold be removed, but your rep refused. I was unable to use my card for a transaction of $20 even though I had a balance of over $500 on my account. I asked for a supervisor but the rep told me none was available.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I was offered a Merrick Bank Visa shortly after we had completed a chapter 13 bankruptcy. A relatively small credit line with promise to double it in 7 months if I was responsible. It had been 4+ years since we had credit, and they offered a card with no annual fee and a grace period. That made me feel like I was worthy again for credit! I accepted, and in the 3 yrs we have had the card, our credit rating has increased as has our credit limit. I have only paid interest twice, as I pay the balance off each month. Always early or on time. Thanks Merrick Bank for the "2nd chance". We have learned from our financial struggles from 2007 to 2014 how to use credit responsibly!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Satisfied, except for monthly fees. I have been a customer for years and I think Merrick bank should consider removing these charges based on experience with customers. I always pay on time and never go over the limit.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I had two fraud charges post to my account. When I noticed the charges on my August 2018 statement, I called to report the fraud. I was told the charges would be investigated, no payment would be required on the disputed charges, the charges would "suspended" pending the investigation, and a new card would be issued. Several weeks later I received my new card. My September 2018 statement cycled and the charges were still showing in the balance with a minimum payments requirement. I called back to Merrick Bank today to inquire why. The rep told me I was still responsible for the charges until such time as the investigation was completed. What a joke. The "rude service reps" are an even further stain on this company.

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information