3.55/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1478 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I'm very happy in my dealings with Merrick Bank. I am in the process of rebuilding my credit & they took a chance on me. What they said they would do, they have & I've had no problems with them at all! Was scared to deal with any credit card people but am glad I decided on Merrick!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

You are the greatest I've heard of in many years. Two hours after midnight at 2:00 AM the day after my seven monthly payments, the balance increased just as you said it would. Thanks to all of your staff. God bless all of you!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My Merrick Experience, as I call it, has be awing. When learning of a credit card that can help rebuild credit and increase the credit limit with on-time payments. It's like being rewarded for being responsible. It has been great having this card. I have recommended to several in similar situations. Thanks Merrick Bank.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I am satisfied, with Merrick Bank. They keep their promise. And that is what I was looking for. Good, very good and I keep looking for people like that. I will give a 10. to Merrick Bank. If someone ask for recomendation I will stand.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I am very happy with my Merrick Bank credit card account. No complaints. I had to contact customer service once because for some reason I couldn't get my password to work and they helped right away. I would recommend this card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

When I received the pre-qualification offer, what stuck out to me was line of credit $900. But after building a 7 month I believe relationship in good standing the line of credit would double! This card works for me as a revolving credit card, meaning monthly bills, cell phones, credit sesame, Microsoft Office subscription etc. Every month auto pays! And as promised line of credit just doubled! I highly recommend Merrick Bank, and they report to all 3 credit agencies! Thank you Merrick for finding me, and look forward to many years as a customer!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I have found Merrick Bank to be a blessing in helping me to rebuild my credit. They have been more than generous with their credit limit. And then the increase seven months later. I love them. Thank you Merrick Bank.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

It is a privilege and an honor to have a Merrick Bank credit card. The monthly payments are very reasonable and easy. It is accepted anywhere. I got an unexpected credit increase which was a very wonderful and useful surprise. THANK YOU Merrick Bank for the outstanding service!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

What attractive me about this particular bank was the fact that they were willing to give me a second try although my credit wasn't the best. They took a chance and because of that their chance on me, I was able to provide for my family in the time of crisis and emergency.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I am happy to have this card as it is pulling my credit score up a little every month. Interest is higher than I like, but it will get better. Would like to see a credit increase also, as a reward for on-time payments.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Merrick Bank credit card is one of the best cards I have ever had. They started me out with a good credit limit and in 6 months if I paid on time they would double the limit which they did. So I cut up a few of my other cards and have this one now. Great job Merrick. Keep up the good work and your word.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I only use credit cards for emergency such as a auto breakdown or travel. I mailed my bill on the 9th of last month. The bill was due on the 14th. I was charged a late fee. The woman on the phone was very pleasant and waived the fee. I am grateful for that. But it concerns me about your processing of mailed paid bills and your eagerness to charge late fees in a inappropriate manner. I will be hesitant to use your card before others in my possession.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Just want to say that Merrick's bank card gave me a chance and I will not let them down. I use that card and they doubled my amount and I really appreciate that. So to all the people that work there thank you and you are the best.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

It's a credit card... I mean the rates arent the best, but they are pretty good with credit line increases. My issue with them is the late charge... If you forget (we are all human) and rush around to do a bank transfer and the bank transfer comes in the day after the due date even though you initiated it on the due date I dont think they should charge you the 35.00 late fee.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have been a cardholder for eight months now and I have had a very good experience with the card and the customer associates who have helped me when I needed a clarification. They are quick and knowledgeable too.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

When I wanted to build credit I went to Merrick Bank and got their card. As long as I did payments on time within 5 or 6 payments they doubled my credit limit. And I continue to make payments on time with the highest credit limit that I have and the rates are reasonable.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Merrick Bank reported a $1 past due to the credit bureau. Had the credit card for 10 years. Never used the card. The $1 was charged on a late membership fee that was sent in 10 days late. I had never had a late charge on this account because I have never used it. I was not aware of the late charge until I went to buy a car and that $1 past due changed my score from 731 to a 629. I could not get anyone to resolve this issue, representative made sure I understood it was my fault and would not transfer me to a manager. Very poor service and poor representative. I would not recommend this card to anyone. In 10 years all I have paid is membership fees.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY. I HAVE ALREADY NOTIFIED THEM MANY TIMES OF A FRAUDULENT CARD IN MY NAME AND THEY are doing nothing about it. They will let people keep fraudulent cards open and Merrick Bank does not care about the person this is hurting. Their representatives are extremely rude!!!! It's time to start filing a lot of consumer complaints about this company and I am starting today!!! Don't trust Merrick Bank. It will be your worst mistake. Merrick Bank is the worst company ever! Anyone who wants to file a complaint against Merrick... Go to www.Consumerfinance.Gov/complaint. And make sure you report them to the BBB.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Is decent card that does what it says. As with everything make sure you read the small print. Credit increases are given for keeping your account current. They have an easy-to-navigate website and multiple options on there.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Merrick gave me a chance to be a credit holder which allowed for so many more opportunities for me! Also they said my line would increase after paying on time for 6 months and they weren’t lying. Not only did my line increase but it doubled at the 6 month mark exactly! Thanks merrick!!!

Original review: July 31, 2018

The new website sucks. What was wrong with the old one? It's spread out all over the screen - harder to read. Info spread from one page to another. What was wrong with nice compact, easy to read? Home Depot went to a format like this and I complained to them too. A lot of good THAT did! Wasted space and going "here and there" to get all info in one place. Your web producers are DEFINITELY NOT users.

Original review: July 31, 2018

This bank took a chance on me... Single mother recently divorced needing to build her own credit up. Easy application. Intuitive App for Phone. Came through on the double CLI after 6 mos good payment history. I have never had to call customer service. Completely happy.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Thanks Merrick for the fairness you have shown as I have managed my account responsibly you have increased my line of credit. I look forward to taking advantage of other services Merrick offers for years to come.

Original review: July 30, 2018

My experience with Merrick Bank is wonderful... With my credit history being in not so good standards due to me losing my job then becoming disable Merrick Bank gave me a chance of obtaining a credit card with a credit limit that is within my budget to help me rebuild my credit. Thank you.

Original review: July 30, 2018

They are the best bank I have felt with in a long time. They gave me a visa when others had turned me away. They took a chance on me so I am proud to say for my credit card needs Merrick is my choice of banks.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I really find the app useful and helpful. It’s easy to look at statements and to pay the bill. And the card works every time. I use it for online transactions most of the time. I find the card is a good card for me. I like that it saves me time and is always updated.

Original review: July 30, 2018

This was one of the first credit cards I applied to rebuild my credit and up to now it has been fantastic, it did help a lot to build my credit rating and they doubled the credit line after 6 months. Great card???

Original review: July 30, 2018

Merrick Bank helped me quickly regain some financial stability. Through on time payments I was also quickly able to raise my credit limit which boosted my credit score. Great online website. Easy to make online payments. Recommend them for anyone looking to open a new credit card account.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I've had this card for over a year now after receiving an offer in the mail for a $700 CL. Was approved immediately and have not once had a bad experience since having it. The CSR's are always so helpful and friendly. I use this card sparingly with keep my debt ratio 30% or less and have received two increases since then. I'm currently at $2100. I must say for those of you complaining and posting bad remarks on MB, I was at a 624 Credit Score and they offered me this card. Can't complain and have no regrets whatsoever. They gave me a chance to where your other top dog exclusive Credit Card Companies do not. I'm very pleased and Thank you Merrick Bank!!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have had the Merrick Visa card for over one and a half years now and never saw a credit line increase to $1400 like they promised because I was three days late on a payment and they have no grace period. There are many other companies out there that give much higher limits such as Capital One and Credit One that offer better terms. DON'T SETTLE FOR THESE LITTLE BANKS THAT MAKE BIG PROMISES!

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information