3.44/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1683 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 30, 2019

I'd never heard of Merrick Bank before I received a pre-approval offer in the mail. The promotional offer was too good to pass up, so I applied. I could not be more pleased with this card. Started out as a reasonable and generous credit limit and have been given several increases automatically with no hit to my hard inquiries. Has served to increase my credit score. Monthly FICO scores are ACTUAL FICO scores and not just bureau scores. It took me a little while to adjust to the new website design, but it is straightforward and tells you EXACTLY how much interest will be charged and how long it will take to pay off your balance if you make only the minimum payments. The minimum payment amounts are manageable if you need to use your card for emergencies.

OUTSTANDING customer service. I've never had a problem, so I've never needed to call anyone, but I receive friendly emails and letters when they need to communicate information regarding my account. Merrick Bank provides you with the resources to build a solid credit foundation and they reward responsible credit use!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I would gladly recommend Merrick Bank. I have never had any issue's using my card both domestically and internationally. Customer service is Friendly and helpful. They give periodic credit line increases (wish you could request) however they do offer them frequently. They offered me credit when I was rebuilding my score and helped me towards achieving the credit score I have today. The credit lines they offer are decent to start. Having a account with Merrick Bank get's you access to your fico score monthly and as I stated friendly customer service. I am happy I accepted the invitation to apply and have not one negative thing to say towards Merrick Bank. If you are looking for a credit card either secured or unsecured I recommend Merrick bank. I've been a happy customer for several years.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have had a Merrick Bank credit card for over two years now. It started with a $700 credit limit when I first got it and I have had regular increases in my limits to now be up to $1900. The card is great. I can check my balances and make payments online and set up regular recurring payments so that I never get charged a late fee. I originally got the card when I had not so great credit. Since then not only have I had the regular credit increases, I’ve qualified to buy a house, and continued to use my card wisely.

My only complaint is the annual fee on the card. I paid the fee and fall as part of my balance when I first got the card in my first year. Now I get charged a fee every month as a partial payments towards my annual fee. In some ways it’s nice to spread out the annual fee, but I have also found out about people who have the same card and don’t pay any fee at all. I understand that my credit was not great when I first got the card but with all of the increases in my credit limit that I’ve gotten you would think that there would have been an offer to waive my annual fee by now.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I was a Merrick Bank customer for several years. NEVER late on a payment, NEVER missed a payment, NEVER failed to pay at least the minimum amount due, and 99% of the time paid more than the minimum, usually rounding it up to the next hundred. Never had any issues. I paid my account off in full last September 2017, and due to having received a Discover IT card, hadn't been using the Merrick Card.

Well, yesterday I received a letter from them stating they had closed my account because I hadn't used it in a year. That wouldn't really matter to me other than, credit scores are based on a credit ratio. The amount of credit you're using out of your overall available credit. That's fine and dandy until one of your cards just up and closes down, leaving you several thousand dollars short in the "available credit" column. That plays hell with a credit score. It happened to me with another card, too. Barclay's. Same thing. I never missed a payment, never late, and never failed to pay minimum amount due, usually rounding it off to the next hundred. It's as though these credit card companies and banks are punishing you for being a really good, responsible customer.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have many credit cards and honestly think this one is my favorite. The interest rate is a little higher, but the way they have it set up makes paying and viewing your bill simple. I can pay my bill the day after a charge and do not have to wait for 30 days or until processing. I prefer to keep my card low, but show activity so paying it within a few days of use is what I like. Many other cards do not allow you to pay days after a charge or you are unable to make multiple payments per month. Merrick Bank is easy to work with and fair. I’ve received multiple credit line increases and am notified by a simple email and have electronic bills. Perfect card for beginners, too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have no complaints about my Merrick Bank Card, or any experience with the company. It has been carefree since the day I received my card. The website is easy to maneuver when making payments. Thanks for great service, keep it up.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Merrick gave me a credit card when nobody else would. They promised to double my credit limit after five months. Merrick originally issued me a credit limit of $500, five months later I received my increase as promised making my new credit limit $1000. A few months later another $200...Well a few months later another. I called Merrick to see if they give more then $200 of credit increase. The gentleman said no. $200 is the norm. Regardless, thank you Merrick for giving me a chance to build my credit back, from when I was young and stupid.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Pre-approved came in mail. Low amount of credit to begin, then goes up after you make your payments on time. Their online service is excellent and easy to use. I can see my charges the next day and can pay them then, too! Have had absolutely no problems with them! Love Merrick!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I have had my card for years and I am very happy. I would like to see the monthly fee go away, but otherwise a good card. And one thing that I am very impressed with is they judge me on my reputation with their bank and have gotten frequent credit increases. I appreciate that.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I could see if I was late then I would not mind paying for past due or late payment but that probably hurt my credit scores just because I made an early payment. I got upset and hung up and I didn’t know you couldn’t make an Early Payment.

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information