2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.49/5

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Merrick Bank Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Following my divorce in 2012 my credit got shot through no real fault of my own. I decided to get the Merrick secured visa to start rebuilding my credit. I've now had the card for about 5-6 years and have always found customer service to be super friendly and helpful. The only real downside to this card was the limited line increases which only happened after about 2-3 years and were initially quite small. However, as my score has increased over time, these have become a bit larger and more frequent. If you're trying to rebuild your credit, and are willing to make payments on time in the future, and have the patience to do so, then I would definitely recommend this card.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

In May of 2019, I was alerted by Merrick Bank that my credit card had been used in a fraudulent transaction. When I received the call, I was actually traveling to Lowe's in Delaware to use my card for purchases I needed. The representative informed me that an immediate cancel and re-issue was needed for my card; but she allowed me to use my card for the immediate purchases I needed, as long as I agreed to call in after I made my purchases and then Merrick would cancel and re-issue. Three months later I lost the re-issued card and had to call back in to perform another cancel and re-issue. In both of those situations, I was treated courteously and respectfully, and the new cards arrived in less than a week.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I'd never heard of Merrick Bank before I received a pre-approval offer in the mail. The promotional offer was too good to pass up, so I applied. I could not be more pleased with this card. Started out as a reasonable and generous credit limit and have been given several increases automatically with no hit to my hard inquiries. Has served to increase my credit score. Monthly FICO scores are ACTUAL FICO scores and not just bureau scores. It took me a little while to adjust to the new website design, but it is straightforward and tells you EXACTLY how much interest will be charged and how long it will take to pay off your balance if you make only the minimum payments. The minimum payment amounts are manageable if you need to use your card for emergencies.

OUTSTANDING customer service. I've never had a problem, so I've never needed to call anyone, but I receive friendly emails and letters when they need to communicate information regarding my account. Merrick Bank provides you with the resources to build a solid credit foundation and they reward responsible credit use!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Highly recommend this credit card for someone who is starting to build credit or trying to repair a bad situation. I’ve never had any issues, unlike other cards out there (credit one I’m looking at you). They are good about increasing your credit automatically for consist on time payments. And I know having a Merrick account helped me get 2 other cards later one. There are no rewards and the annual fee sucks, but so did my credit so it’s worth it in the long run. They do free FICO score check, online/app friendly, and have great customer service reps if you ever have to give them a buzz. Overall, I’m very happy with Merrick Bank and I look forward to being a happy customer for many years.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I would gladly recommend Merrick Bank. I have never had any issue's using my card both domestically and internationally. Customer service is Friendly and helpful. They give periodic credit line increases (wish you could request) however they do offer them frequently. They offered me credit when I was rebuilding my score and helped me towards achieving the credit score I have today. The credit lines they offer are decent to start. Having a account with Merrick Bank get's you access to your fico score monthly and as I stated friendly customer service. I am happy I accepted the invitation to apply and have not one negative thing to say towards Merrick Bank. If you are looking for a credit card either secured or unsecured I recommend Merrick bank. I've been a happy customer for several years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Merrick has treated me as a human being and has had faith in me when others have not. I have kept my end up by making timely payments, and when Merrick reviews my account I can typically expect a credit line increase.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I been so frustrated and aggravated with Merrick credit card company, I been losing thousands of dollars because a flight purchase over internet, I used Merrick credit card to purchase the flight, after the purchase, it was no response from travel agency, about flight information, got nervous and file dispute with the merrick credit card, them a day later. I had some response and some exchange information with the travel agency I drop the dispute. On return flight wife and daughter had to stay extra days in Europe due to the dead of a family member, missing the day of departure, the travel agency recommended to purchase a new flight, and get credit for a lost flight, but in order to get the proper credit, they need an simple letter, from merrick credit card, with an merrick bank stamp and proof that the dispute is closed. But the merrick bank refuses to send the letter, cost me thousands of dollars, I got so frustrated I close the account with this credit card bank.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Merrick bank had the worst institutional banking policies I've ever encountered. When I would send a payment on my credit card they would purposely withhold the payment until after the due date so that they could add a late fee. It didn't matter if it was a check or money order. They would wait to post it. I sent in payments up to 2 weeks early (before due date), and they would not post it until it was a late date. Their practices are legally questionable. I paid off my debt through a collection agency and they have refused to post it to my credit history. Do not use this banking institution.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

This company promises to double your credit line after 6 months. I made my payments early and paid the card off early at one point. I called 2 weeks before the credit line increase date and asked for it early since I paid all of payments early. They declined, so my advice is to go with another bank, they don't care about their customers. Credit One is really good, and Capital 1 if you qualify. Avant and Indigo are also good with their customers.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I am extremely happy with Merrill and believe that I have been treated fairly and would willing and gladly recommend thorough others. They were kind and took a chance on me when I really need it. I am forever grateful and feel blessed to have found them.

Merrick Bank expert review by Beverly Harzog

Merrick Bank was founded in 1977 and is a top-20 U.S. issuer of Visa cards. Merrick Bank serves over 1,500,000 cardholders and specializes in credit programs that help consumers establish or rebuild their credit histories.

• Financial education: Merrick Bank offers some excellent advice in “The Money Smart Financial Education Center” on its website. The bank also gives cardholders a look at their monthly FICO score, which is a valuable benefit.

• Unsecured credit card: Merrick Bank offers Classic Visa and MasterCard credit cards. To apply, you need to have received an offer that has an “Acceptance Certificate Number.” This number is used to apply for the card online.

• Secured card: For those who can’t qualify for an unsecured card, this bank offers Merrick Bank’s Secured Visa Card. This card helps consumers who are building or rebuilding their credit. A deposit between $200 and $3,000 is required. The credit limit equals the amount of the deposit. There’s a $36 annual fee.

• Easy application: The company lets consumers apply for credit cards over the Internet and get an immediate acceptance or denial online.

• Low rate: The APR for purchases is 17.70 percent. This is a good rate for a secured credit card.

• Pay your bill online: It’s easy and free to pay your bill online. The bank also offers free tools to help manage your account online.

• Best for: Merrick Bank focuses on consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Merrick Bank Company Information