3.67/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 29, 2017

1319 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I responded to their offer. I was informed that any 7 months of payments, my line of credit would increase. I've never been late, always paid extra every month. It's been about 10 months now. When I inquired about this, I had to fill out another credit card app, and was denied the increase. Don't waste your time with this deceptive practice.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I love this company. They have excellent customer service. I had questions on a weekend about possible fraud on my card and customer service was right there to give me peace of mind and protect my account.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

My husband and I each have a credit card account with Merrick. Every time my husband tries to log in he is told that either his password or his username is incorrect. He is forced to change his password to log in. The next time he tries to log on, it's the same story. His password has to be changed each time he logs on. Today the same thing happened to me. I changed my password, and later tried to log on and was locked out. I have never had this experience with any other credit account. I called the company and the agent said all he could do is have me change my password.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I am very thankful for Merrick Bank. After filing bankruptcy I didn't know how to work on my credit score. Merrick Bank offered me a card and it has been great! I truly appreciate them. After making my payments on time Merrick even raised my credit limit. For this I am very appreciative. I would definitely recommend a friend for their card.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I put in my payment and you are holding on to it till 10/30 and I paid it on 10/23. What's up with that? Man you just make me want to cancel my card. I just cannot believe how you treat your customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have been treated fairly and cannot find a single complaint with the credit service Merrick Bank has provided. My only suggestion would be that when they are determining if a person is more creditworthy after a certain time period, instead of constantly raising the credit line they may perhaps lower the interest rate in the same fashion.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Merrick Bank promised to double my credit line after one year of consecutive on-time payments. They followed through without having to request an increase. They report to the credit bureaus regularly and helped my credit score go up, dramatically. In addition, their Fraud Prevention department is on top of irregular and out of state transactions. I'm a flight attendant and frequently receive phone calls from a fraud agent to verify my out of area purchases. The only negative feedback is sometimes I'm stuck on hold for an extended period of time to talk to an agent, but it's not too often. Overall, I'm happy with the professionalism and integrity of Merrick Bank.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Because of your giving me the opportunity to use your service I was able to get my credit straightened out and put it in very good standing, not a lot of credit card companies had given me a chance and Merrick did. I always carry your card in my wallet.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Your business trusted me enough to give me a credit card. I really appreciate that. By using it and paying it off each month I am building my credit up. So I give you a 5 star rating. Thank you so much by believing in me.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I would like to appreciate the services of credit card score, alert service and keeping the promise of bumping up credit limit once a customer pays on time his/her balance for a number of months. On the other hand I don't like the user friendliness of the site, the summary of transactions list and navigation aspect. Redesigning the front-end with a more modern template/bootstrap and improving the navigation easiness would result in higher customer attraction and satisfaction. Let me know if you need my expertise on that.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I have had a Merrick Bank visa credit card for about 3 years. I have always paid on time and they always raise my credit limit. I am at 2700.00 now and owe nothing. HOWEVER, for no apparent reason they keep jacking up my APR. I started at 19% and now I am at 29%!!!! I leave this credit card open for the credit score rating and extreme emergencies!!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I see I'm not the only one they are ripping off with late fees even though I send my payments in 2 weeks before they're supposed to be there. This company is terrible. I suggest you run if you see anything from their company. Do not open a credit card with this company. Go with a reputable company like Capital One. I was going to put my review here with 0 stars but they made me put one so that's the Consumer Affairs. It should be negative five stars for me.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Overall my experience has been pretty good. They seem to be honest and fair with helping people get their credit back on track again. I have been with them for over a couple of years and have only been bumped up once for a credit increase that I did not ask for which was a surprise. I would like to see them offer to not collect an annual fee like some of the other CC companies do. I have referred them to some other people I know. My reason for a 4 star is because of the lack of credit increases even though I now have a much better credit score and charging an annual fee.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have really enjoyed my experience with Merrick Bank so far. I have had no issues being able to use my credit and my promotional offer was applied according to the terms, without me having to do anything. I enjoy the convenience of being able to check my account quickly using the app and I find it simple to navigate through both the app and the website. It is easy to set up auto payments and even easier to change/add/delete payments both on the website and in the app. I would definitely recommend Merrick Bank to friends and family.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

What I love about this card I have I don't get junk e-mails and it's easy to maneuver online. Great bank. Thank you. The one change I would make is automatically lower the consumer's interest rate on their credit card when proven they handle their account well after so many years.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have had a positive experience with Merrick Bank. I responded to an offer for a credit card, and it was very easy to set up a new account. Making payments is also easy. I would recommend Merrick to someone in need of a credit card.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I was going to give 4 stars, but the app update earlier this year really boosted my ratings about this bank. I've had a Credit card for many years with Merrick and they have consistently met my expectations for a card. I would like the yearly fee to disappear since I've been a Customer for so long and pay my bill on time every month. That would be my only suggestion for improvement.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I was excited to receive my credit card, I am very responsible when it comes to rebuild my credit after recovering from a trained. Everything was going great. I mail the payments for all my bills at the same time. The 3rd of each month, my due date for Merrick is the 17th. Somehow all my bills are credited no later than the 7th. Merrick claims to receive my payment on the 18th but does not post it until the 22nd of each month. Therefore I get a late fee every month. I was credited back 35 once but they have not given me a response on my request. I also sent in a 65 payment they claim was never received. I am now dealing with the money order company to find out if they were cashed. I am cutting this card up and sending it back to them.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I got my monthly statement and found a 38.00 late. My bill is due by the 27th and I paid that bill at 5:53 Eastern Standard Time. Technically it should have been credited on time. My bank shows paid, but they are claiming it wasn't credited until the 28th. My bank statement also shows it actually wasn't received until the 29th. Spoke with customer service and they say, it wasn't paid until the 28th, so you know. You gotta pay us. I've caught them in a lie, T-Mobile shows phone contact with them on the 27th at 5:53 pm. Go figure, Federal Trade Commission complaint time!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I've been a member since May 2008 - nine years. I've never been over 60 days late on payment yet Merrick has been reporting negatively on my credit report. I requested that my credit limit be increased and the rep read off some nonsense that customers cannot request a credit increase; that Merrick periodically reviews accounts for increases. Well... it's been 9 years... No increase. My guess? They've been erroneously reporting my account as negative so they automatically passed me over for an increase without confirming whether the account is really a negative one. I hate them. I am closing my account as soon as they fix the drama on my credit report. BTW I've already contacted all three bureaus and launched an investigation. Merrick is a waste of my time and money. I want a credit card that actually has perks and doesn't make 9 years of mistakes in reporting customers' accounts. They have been doing me dirty for years and I'm sick of them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have had a Merrick credit card for over 4 years. I used it for exactly what their purpose was. Rebuild/establish my credit. All was fine. I charged it up paid it off. Established a good history with them. I have had it completely paid off for almost 2 years. I only used my credit card when needed and not by living above my means. Today I received the ONLY form of communication from them through the mail stating they had closed my account due to INACTIVITY.

Now I check my online account monthly to make sure I don’t owe any yearly fees and to make sure there has been no fraudulent activity. No communication from that mode either. So since this was one of my oldest accounts it has now affected my credit in a detrimental way. When I called customer service they told me some states don’t require any notice. She said I should of read that in my cardholder agreement. Yeah I’m sure we all do that. So BEWARE! I feel scammed and will advise anyone I know to not go with this company. Oh by the way I can reapply for a fee of course and another hit on my credit. SHADY!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I set up recurring payments and they submitted 3 times, I called them about this as they reversed the payment and came to say my payment was delinquent and reported it to the credit bureau.They Ignored the issue. For anyone having issues with the bank report them to the "CFPB", apparently this is common and they continue to get away with along with charging late fees.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Merrick bank payment due on the 17th which I been paying on for the last three years. I got my mail on the 19 that month. Call the bank, talk to Mary **. She said, "Make the payment on the phone with us now and you won't get charge late fees." Well just got my bill on 9/30/2017 with the late fees!!! See you later Merrick Bank.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have never experienced such friendly service when it comes to credit cards. I use this card the most, after 7 months just like the offer said "after 7 consecutive on time payments, we will double your limit" and they did. Just amazing.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I'm on SS and get paid on 3rd of each month. I send out check on 1st or 2nd with all my other bills. Other creditors post payments no later than 8th. Why you don't post till 20 something is just a way to charge more interest. I know I'm only 1 little account but if you do this to all your customers 1 or 2 cent times the millions of customers is a LOT OF FREE MONEY. I'm not late on my payments. Last month I made elec. payment so not to give you more than was due by your representatives dragging their feet posting payments. I know that I'm not the only one you’re doing this to so clean up your act.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I will never use my Merrick Bank credit card again. I've never disputed a charge before and the one time that I did Merrick Bank made me jump through so many hoops to dispute the transaction and never refunded the money after telling me they were going to. Instead they mailed me a letter asking for the same information I had already given them twice already and they said that if I did not respond by a certain date that they will assume the merchant has taken care of the issue. The problem is by then the time frame had already gone and passed by the time I received their letter in the mail. This is a very low-end credit card and only good for beginners trying to build credit. Definitely not a credit card to be using once you are established.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

So far, so good. Merrick Bank has held up their end of the contract and has done what they said they will do. The offer was to make on-time payments, of course, and they will double the credit limit. This was done with no issue or even before I knew it was time. The interest rate is a little higher but that's to be expected. This is a rebuilder credit card. I have not had any problems with the use or in payments posting so far. Their website could be simplified as it's not as user-friendly as it could be. Overall, I am still happy with Merrick Bank and its product.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Start at 700 credit available, nearly max but I keep paying on time got raise. This is Good credit bank no complaints, felt this Merrick Bank is far better than a well known Captial One. Glad they approve me. If anyone asked me which branch they should apply for credit card, I would recommend them Merrick Bank, thanks.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I have had a card with Merrick for about 9 months now. Everything has always went smooth and there have never been any problems. They told me to pay on time for 6 months and they would raise my limit. As soon as that had happened they raised my limit, I didn't have to even remind them. I would definitely recommend Merrick Bank.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Since opening my account with Merrick Bank, I have had nothing but positive experience with them. I find their pages easy to use, questions are answered easily. It is not difficult to find out my balances, my payment, dates due, my limits. Everything I need to know about my account is right there.

Merrick Bank Company Information