2. Finance
  3. Debt Settlement

4.3/5 (110 ratings)

About JG Wentworth Debt Relief

JG Wentworth has been helping individuals overcome financial hardships for more than 30 years with a variety of financial solutions. JG Wentworth Debt Relief’s services can help reduce or eliminate your unsecured debt in as little as 24 to 48 months. The company negotiates with creditors on your behalf and may be able to settle your debt for significantly less than what you owe.

Pros

• One monthly payment
  • Good credit not required
  • No upfront fees

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

JG Wentworth Debt Relief can be helpful to those with $10,000 or more in debt. Although there are fees associated with their services, these fees are only charged as your debt is settled.

Top JG Wentworth Debt Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Customer service was very prompt. Within a couple of months, I saw my debts getting settled. I get a text and I can accept the offer right there so it makes the process easier. .....

Verified

It was a great opportunity for JG to handle my situation. They kept me informed of all business. And was concerned about my well being. They kept me financially stable being to ca...

What does JG Wentworth Debt Relief do?

The JG Wentworth Debt Relief's program assists individuals with unsecured debts, primarily credit card debt, medical debt, personal loan debt and private student loan debt. To qualify for the company's program, you must:

• Reside in a eligible state
  • Have more than $10,000 in unsecured debt
  • Be able to afford the monthly program payment

A certified debt specialist will review your debt to determine if you qualify for the JG Wentworth debt relief program. If you choose to enroll in the program, JG Wentworth Debt Relief will begin working with creditors on your behalf to lower your debt.

How much does JG Wentworth Debt Relief cost?

JG Wentworth Debt Relief does not have any upfront fees. Fee percentages, typically between 18% to 25% of your enrolled debt amount, are only paid once the company settles each debt. The actual percentage depends on your specific situation and state regulations.

Fees are calculated into your monthly program payment and will never increase. You are free to cancel the program with no penalty at any time during the debt settlement process.

How long does JG Wentworth Debt Relief's program take?

Although the program length varies, JG Wentworth Debt Relief states that the average individual can pay off their debt within 24 to 48 months of starting the debt relief program.

We recommend asking a certified debt specialist how long the program took for people in similar situations to yours.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief FAQ

Where is JG Wentworth Debt Relief available?
JG Wentworth Debt Relief services are currently available in more than 25 states. Contact the company to see if your state is eligible for their services.
Will JG Wentworth Debt Relief affect my credit rating?
Enrolling in any debt settlement program will likely have a negative impact on your credit rating because you choose to stop paying your creditors. As your debts start to settle and you maintain good credit behavior, your credit rating will likely begin to improve.
What types of debt are eligible for JG Wentworth Debt Relief’s program?
JG Wentworth helps individuals with more than $10,000 in unsecured debt, which includes credit card debt, medical debt, personal loan debt and private student loan debt.

Is JG Wentworth Debt Relief really worth it?

JG Wentworth Debt Relief’s program is completely online, so the service might be ideal if you have at least $10,000 in high interest unsecured debt, are unable to get approved for a debt consolidation loan or are looking for an alternative to bankruptcy.

JG Wentworth is a member of the American Fair Credit Council and has been helping individuals overcome financial hardships for more than 30 years. The company provides a free savings estimate that can help you decide if its program is a good fit for you.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JG Wentworth Debt Relief?

Original review: May 1, 2021

I looked at a couple of debt consolidation programs and a lot of them require money upfront. Wentworth's fees are a little high but they don't collect the fee until there's actually a settlement offer. Every settlement offer that I get shows me exactly what their fee is gonna be and it's 25% of the actual debt and not the settlement. That gave me a little concern but because of the amount of debt I had and the plan that Wentworth outlined, all of my debt would be paid off by August of 2022 which was something that I could do.

If I decide tomorrow that I wanted to terminate, I'd still have to pay Wentworth. But when you're in debt, you already feel like you're in a position where you don't have a lot of choices because you're struggling to pay the bills. The other thing was realizing that at that point, I was in no position to make more than the minimum payments. Some of my debts would take me 15 years to pay off if I'm just making the minimum and the interest would be accumulating. Wentworth's two-and-a-half-year timeline in comparison to 15 or 20 years was really not a bad thing and the timeline was reasonable.

I did the program in 2020. We're already in the fifth month of 2021 and I have about a year and three months left. I'm having to squeeze a little bit now. Even though I didn't lose my job with the COVID situation, things are much more expensive. I already live in a community that's very expensive. Right now, Wentworth is taking out over $800 which is a lot of money. But that has an end. I realized that if I could just save half of that every month, I would be in much better shape moving forward.

Wentworth's customer service is very good. In the beginning, they really worked with me to get everything set up. After we got everything in place, I had a review with somebody. I had a problem with the portal and their response time was excellent. They send me notifications through email. They text it to me too, which is helpful. They would send me the contract through email which I can download.

Recently, they sent me an offer. Settlement amounts are usually reduced amounts because you're already in collections and you're making an offer. The offer I got was not a reduced amount and I called Wentworth right away. When I pointed this out to them, right away they said that was not right and they got me the correct offer.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Eva, we're glad our program is going to get you out of debt so quickly! If you ever have any questions or concerns about your program, please don't hesitate to reach out - we're always here to help!

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2021

I was initially going through a different company for a couple months and JG Wentworth's selling point was they offered a lot more benefits. They're straightforward with you and if you show them that you're responsible, you're eligible to have the remainder of the debt resolved with something like a personal loan. After six months into the program, I could qualify for them to go ahead and settle the rest of the debt. They pay it off, and then I just continue to pay them off. That's a huge benefit and and something I could take advantage of. It takes a load of stress off my shoulders and gives that peace of mind too.

I'm satisfied with where I'm at in the program so far. I get plenty of emails, and the website is user-friendly, straightforward, transparent. They're good at answering my questions or returning my calls. They've already settled two accounts. Things are going well and it's a good possibility I'd be completely settled by the end of this year with things changing for the better. My wife is working now and I plan on doubling or tripling down on payments soon. I feel confident about the program and my situation. My only regret is that I didn't go to JG Wentworth initially. I wish I knew about them a lot sooner. If I ran across a friend or if my son was in similar situation, that would definitely be my number one choice and recommendation.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Deshaun, congratulations on reaching your first two settlements! We're thrilled you're so pleased with our service and that our program is helping you so much. Thank you for your feedback - we look forward to continuing to help you on your journey to a more financially stable future!

Original review: March 12, 2021

I received a sort of a generic offer for a loan from JG Wentworth. I replied and they said it wouldn't be a personal loan, it would be a debt consolidation. They were going to take all my credit card debts. It wasn't originally what I thought but they said, "We can help reduce the amount of debt that you have if you're interested in hearing about that." We went over that and it sounded like I could assign any of my debts to them and they would get in touch with those companies and try to negotiate some sort of a low payoff. An outstanding loan with one company for about $10,000 was reduced to $1,600. It was kind of calculated on how much I owed ultimately and I'm paying for that with each paycheck I get. They take out a couple hundred dollars that goes into some sort of an escrow account. As that builds up, they can call and offer to another credit card. It's going to take some time for these others to get paid off but early on, I enjoyed some success.

I talked to one person on that initial call and they had a second guy follow up the next day. He went through a very lengthy phone call which was a lot more than I was prepared but he was very thorough. They've also got a little website that I can log into and see all the different accounts that they're handling for me and the status of those things. I had called and talked to two or three different people, and they all seem nice enough. One thing they did say they could do was they could get some of these harassing phone calls turned off. I probably get 15 calls every day from one particular account that I have. Their advice to me was don't engage in them because they'll indicate that that account is still active, and we want to pursue it and work it down through their means. They did say that they could get calls like that blocked but I don't think I've had any success with that.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Steven! We're glad to hear how our program is helping you - thanks for sharing! We're always here for you if you ever have any questions or concerns regarding your program. Please feel free to contact us at 800-715-9501.

Original review: March 8, 2021

My ex-husband was trying to take from me some property that I had (some gold jewelry that I acquired when I was married to him). Not only did I have lawyer fees to pay, but I had a surgery that had come up and I had to pay that off too. My credit card bill kept getting worse and worse. I realized I was making payments on my credit card, but my interest was 29%. It was so high that every month that I was trying to pay off wasn’t doing anything. We had also recently moved to another house, so I had a credit card open for furniture. I was getting behind on all my payments and I was looking for a personal loan to pay that off.

Initially, I was contacted by somebody from JG Wentworth and they were super helpful and explained everything to me. It wasn’t the best option for me, but at that time, it was the only option that I was being given. This was after I contacted a few other loan companies. I went ahead and the person on the other line was very knowledgeable. We were talking about it for an hour and a half and all he did was answer all my questions and concerns. I'm normally the type of person that if I don’t have all the answers, I won’t go for it and he helped me out, talked to me, and made sure that I knew what was going on. I trusted him.

I'm not disappointed, but I don’t like the fact that my credit score went so low. Also, when I call and I get the recording. I can’t speak to anybody and then, I have to wait for their callback. There was a moment where I played phone tag for two days before I finally got a chance to speak with a representative. Other than that, it was fine. Even the representatives reached out to me on my cell phone and they texted me, which was great. That works easier for me, sometimes. All in all, everybody at JG Wentworth has been cooperative. I've never had a problem talking to any of the associates. If I wanted to add more money to my account, they were more than helpful. We’ve already paid off two major credit cards quickly and and I have one more left. They’ve been very helpful throughout the whole process.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

If you're already in absolute disaster and nobody's doing anything for you, maybe J.G. Wentworth Debt Relief could help. I had done debt consolidation with another company but they tried to give me a 30% interest rate and it was ridiculous because it was higher than my credit card was. The average now for credit cards is 18 to 26 but still, I never had a 26%. J.G. Wentworth gave me a better deal, so I went with them and transferred my account over. I initially wanted to deal with them for debt consolidation but they said no. So, I had to go with a different company, but then all of a sudden, it was okay. It's only been a few months and so far, things are doing fine. I knew that my credit report was going to take a major hit, so it's in the crapper. But hopefully, it will repair itself. From what they told me, it should have started making some ticks upward by now, and it hasn't.

But overall, my experience with them has been good. I haven't heard from anybody in the last two or three months and I don't know if I was supposed to. But the money’s being withdrawn from my account and it looks like it's paying off the other account. The other account’s not happy, but tough luck. Other than that, it looks like the program is working. I was disappointed that we couldn't roll over some of the other debts that I was hoping to consolidate, but it is what it is. As far as anyone is legally allowed to, their service has met my needs. I went from an 800-point credit score, down to a 500. And it has been some tough times. All in all, if you have good credit, they're there for you. But if you have bad credit, they don't care. It's not JG Wentworth though, it's the entire system. It's rigged so that people who are in hard times fall into harder times. So then, they have to do a debt relief program and they're screwed with 30% interest rates.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Anna, thank you for sharing! We’re happy to hear you’re pleased with our service. Credit impact can be difficult to predict and is different for everyone. Our program is designed to get your debt under control, so once your other debts start to settle you will see your financial life improve. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your account, please feel free to reach out so we can discuss in more detail. Remember, we are here for you every step of this journey.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

One of the reasons, I chose JG Wentworth was the option provide for a loan through partner New Credit America. I applied for the loan when the email notification was received and was subsequently denied. I was dishearten by the process, I did not speak to anyone with New Credit America regarding the qualifications, loan amount or even the process. A representation called to inquire on my residence and I was told someone would contact me. The next communication was a denial email. If I am going through the program with JG Wentworth, it is a given that my credit score is less than desirable. Now I have an inquiry on my report that could have been avoided.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I wish I would have never signed up with JG Wentworth. I could have settled these accounts by myself for a lot less $ than paying JGW to basically do nothing. The only thing JG Wentworth does is to pay themselves as quickly as they can. Should have paid JGW a % of settled amount not as a % of total debt. I cannot recommend their services to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

This has been a life saver and has eased stress for me. Your program is designed in a way that I feel safe that there are checks and balances. I have shared my experience with friends. A couple have said they would use JGW if/when they decide they need to go this route with their finances.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Bonnie! Thank you for sharing how much you enjoy our program - we're thrilled we could help relieve some of your stress!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I am so relaxed knowing this company has done everything for me, with creditors they took on for me, they said they would do. I know each person on staff has worked very hard to get me debt free. It is a comforting feeling knowing JG WENTWORTH continues to work hard with my creditors. Thank you to the entire team!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Terrisue! We're thrilled the JG Wentworth team has been able to help relieve your stress so much - thank you for sharing!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I had been considering debt consolidation for a while when I first found out about JG Wentworth. I was skeptical at first, but I contacted them anyhow and I am glad I did. They were friendly and reassuring from the start. More importantly, they were able to negotiate settlements to help me get out of debt and back in control of my finances. Their services have been honest and reliable and I would recommend them to others considering this option.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Lori! We're thrilled to hear how comfortable you feel working with us on your journey to a debt free future - thank you for sharing!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

JGWentworth have been super amazing. After a messy divorce they have helped me get on financial track with affordable solutions. The advisors have empathy and a non-judgemental approach which I really appreciate. My credit score went up by 68 points last month which is amazing. Awesome! Highly recommend!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Debbie! It's wonderful to hear how much our program has helped you - we're thrilled to be working with you to achieve your financial goals!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Everything about the whole experience has been 5-plus stars. I like their prompt responses, communication and empathy. I've seen almost half my debt get settled. It's been pretty much seamless with the exception of one, but how that got handled with the difficult one has been great. It's kind of relieved a lot of stress off of me. I would have other people choose JG Wentworth because of the experience. They explain everything beforehand and they answer all your questions. So, you are not left in the dark.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Wendy! Thank you for sharing how much you enjoy working with the JG Wentworth team - we're happy to be helping you on your journey to a debt free future!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Excellent, Lucy is very informative, answers all questions and gives good advice. I am grateful that your firm has taken me in to help me revise my credit. I had gotten into trouble times and I would like to fix my credit and I am on my way. Everyone is pleasant and helpful. Thank you.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Debra! We're glad you enjoy working with Lucy and the rest of the JG Wentworth team so much - we're happy to be helping you on your journey to financial freedom!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

You have been very accurate in what you told me you would do, you inform me along the way what you are doing to keep my accounts on track. You answer any and all questions I have and my account is always up to date.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Cynthia! We're thrilled you're so pleased with our service - thank you for sharing!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I thought it would go faster. That's all I have to say. So, good morning, hope you have a nice weekend, and week after, and for the month of September, and October, and November, and December Then in 2022, I hope it starts out great, for each and every month, and my deal is completed as soon as possible. I need to get my credit back up.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Don, thank you for your feedback. Please be on the lookout for further communication from us on this matter.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I didn't think it would take this long to settle, I'm still getting call from the main creditor, I wish I would have done this on My own, my credit is crap, I was in a position, to look for somewhere to live and the credit looked so bad, please work on that. So my credit score can start getting better.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Debrah, thank you for your feedback. Please be on the lookout for further communication from us regarding this matter.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

You guys have always been there when I needed help and explained what is going on. When the credit cards threatened me with legal proceedings you called them right away. No matter how upset I was you were so kind and patient with me.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Sharon! We're glad you are enjoying our service so much - please don't hesitate to reach anytime you have questions or concerns regarding your program!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

If not for being in the J.G. Wentworth debt relief program, I'm not sure what my financial future would look like. Before coming to J.G. Wentworth I was drowning in credit card debt. Now I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train. Thank you J.G. Wentworth and the debt settlement team who have made my tomorrow truly a lovely day.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi John! Thank you for sharing how much our program is helping you - we look forward to continue working with you on your journey to financial freedom!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I am very happy about your process. You guys are doing a great job!!! You are helping me with my financial issue big time. I am very grateful. I will definitely recommend to all my friends. Thank you so much for your help!!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Keyeriya! It's wonderful to hear how much our program is helping you - thank you for sharing!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I am very happy with the debt settlement program at JG Wentworth. I only have two more accounts to be settled. The staff has always made themselves available to me throughout this process. I appreciate their customer service and support. Things have moved very quickly. Thank you!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Joseph! We're happy to hear our program has helped you so much - thank you for sharing!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

Courteous and Professional individuals who do everything to help you get out of debt. Patient with you and will negotiate with your creditors to get the best possible solution. They have helped me to save a little more each week and I'm able to take care of what I need.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Keeno! We're thrilled you are enjoying our service so much - thank you for sharing!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I got an email about JG via email and in the mail. I didn't open the envelope all of October and November 2020 and then December is when I opened it and I was so thankful for doing that. I guess God was managing and arranging things in my favor. I called in and it was a whirlwind of greatness that ensued. My first representative who started the process Christopher B. was truly an angel, he broke down everything step by step. Now, Lucy K. my current representative who is along with me in this journey is phenomenal! She has been through up and down with me and has been resilient, goes above and beyond and deserves several raises along with Chris B. JG, I pray you guys continue to do great work with everyone who comes to you all and please keep the team you have currently happy. They're so worth the recognition and the praise, please pour into them and provide them with nothing but raises! :)

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Tamika! Thank you for sharing how much our program has helped you - we are thrilled to be working with you on your journey to financial freedom!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

JG Wentworth was really good to answer questions, but I don't hear from them anymore. It was really good at first. They'd email, text or call me. I got a letter on one of my debts that said they were going to sue me for it. I texted JG and messaged them and tried to call them and ask them what was going on, but they never answered back. They were supposed to settle the two debts. And the third one, I haven't heard anything on it. But the first one they settled was whom I got the letter from that said it wasn't getting paid.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Myrtle, thank you for your feedback. A representative will be reaching out to discuss in more detail.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

The agents have been very professional in handling my settlements. I believe that through their negotiations, I have been able to comfortably pay off debtors and repair my credit. Although it will take a little time to achieve this goal, it will be well worth it. I highly recommend this group!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Greg! We're happy to hear how much our program is helping you - thank you for sharing!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Although promised that all my settlements would begin within 3 to 6 months of program start date, I am now 8 months in to making payments and I still have multiple outstanding accounts with no settlement negotiation at all. I have reached out, uploaded my own documents, made extra payments, voluntarily negotiated my term with JG Wentworth to make HIGHER payments to end the program sooner. Still no negotiations on JG Wentworth's part.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Barbara, thank you for your feedback. Please be on the lookout for further communication from us regarding this matter.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

Every item that was described in the original agreement, has been carried out to the letter. J.G. Wentworth has truly come to my financial rescue. I could have only dreamed of the day where I could actually see through my entanglement in a never ending financial debt. I know now that better debt-free days are just ahead.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Kamyar! We're thrilled to hear how much your program is helping you - we look forward to continue working with you on your journey to a debt free future!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I have had nothing but great help and customer service, with prompt replies, since signing up with JG Wentworth. The online portal is a great tool to use to watch debt being paid off, I would recommend them to anyone!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Elizabeth! We're thrilled you enjoy our service so much - thank you for sharing!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

The guy that explained the program to me was straight to the point and I figured I’d give JG Wentworth a try. Everything is going pretty much as planned. I’d told some friends that JG Wentworth is taking care of me and my debts are getting done a lot faster than I could on my own.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Alforeso! Thank you for sharing your experience working with JG Wentworth - we're happy to be helping you on your journey to financial freedom!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Called to check on the status of my account and how many of my loans. The representative explained the status of my account clearly and professionally. Also, the representative explained how to log on to my account and view my account status.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Robert! We're glad your representative helped you so much - thanks for sharing!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

We were swimming in debt, not only did we get our creditors settled, But we are able to consolidate everything saving thousands of dollars. We will soon be debt free! We have highly recommended this to our family and friends.

JG Wentworth Debt Relief response

Hi Brian! It's wonderful to hear how much your program is helping - we're happy to be working with you on your journey to a debt free future!

JG Wentworth Debt Relief Company Information