2. Mortgages

Jersey Mortgage Co.

Jersey Mortgage Co.
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.54/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

With roots dating back to 1938, Jersey Mortgage Company has worked with thousands of families to help them achieve their refinancing, second home, and first time homebuyer dreams. We proudly offer competitive and flexible home loan options and provide each individual with personalized service.

Because Jersey Mortgage is a direct lender, we are able to offer programs such as direct in-house underwriting, FHA, USDA, VA, First Time Home Buyers, and other home loan programs that other companies aren’t able to provide. With a majority of our staff having worked with our company for ten or more years we are able to ensure that we will provide you with the best service possible.

View More View More

Jersey Mortgage Co. Reviews

Original review: June 1, 2019

I was a first-time homeowner and I didn’t know anything prior to going into this so, it was a new experience. This would be the best way for me getting my first home. There’s a lot going into purchasing a house but with Jersey Mortgage, there was no major issues at all and everything worked out fine. Sharon and Chris, the people I worked with, were helpful. They did a great job and they were very professional the whole time in the process. Overall, it was pleasant although the application and underwriting process took three months. It’s not that the people in Jersey Mortgage didn’t do their job but as the buyer, you're like that middleman, and you're trying to relay certain messages from that person to that person to this person. There should be a better communication between the Realtor, lawyer and Jersey Mortgage.

Moving forward, if I were to buy a home again, I would like to be more fluent in terms of having chain emails and to make sure I have more direction as the Jersey Mortgage and their loan officer, the real estate and the lawyer. So that when I'm not there, it would be easier for them to get in touch with each other and vice versa. Even the lawyer from the selling point of view has to maintain constant communication with the seller. Everybody should have that constant communication across the board so that there's no confusion for certain things but overall, they were informative. They told me what I needed to know, so I was able to get documents, and they were timely. Also, my interest rate wasn't too bad, but I understand I got a 203k loan which incurred a slightly higher interest rate than normal.

Original review: April 22, 2019

For about a year or more, my daughter and I had been looking to move so we could live together. She knew one of the girls from Jersey Mortgage and we went with them. We got a VA loan and being at my age, everything was a little confusing to me. But it was okay and I was surprised how quick it was to go through with the lawyer at the closing. It was so professionally done. He had it laid out there and he explained it to me that I got a little education there. Being the signatory on the loan, I was there when a signature was needed but my daughter took care of all of other things.

Also, Jersey’s rep, Gina, was right on point and every time I had a question or I needed something answered, I called her and she called me right back. She was very helpful and I liked her style, her approach to the business, and the way she did it. I was so impressed with her. She even gave me a gift. She took the time to find out what I like and I was surprised when I opened the gift. She called my daughter to ask and I thought that was so caring and heartfelt.

Other than that, I was satisfied with Jersey Mortgage’s application process. It took a couple of days for the application and underwriting process to be finished but I got a pretty fair mortgage rate. I was comfortable working with Jersey all the way through and it was more of a pleasure than I thought it was gonna be. I thought it was gonna be a pain in the neck, but it was absolutely perfect. Jersey Mortgage has helped me and I’ve already told my neighbor about them. He was talking about moving and wanted to sell his house. I told him Jersey can also put him in touch with people who could sell the house.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2019

My daughter and I availed of Jersey's first-time homebuyer program. We are both co-owners on the mortgage. We picked John as our rep and we absolutely loved him. He was awesome. We liked his personality, customer service, and communication skills. The application process was complicated but John made it doable. The application and underwriting process took a month and a half.

Kim helped with the process as well. John and Kim both communicated very well either via email, telephone or texting. The response time was great. If I would call them, they would normally pick up the phone. And if I would leave a message, there was a callback very soon. There was no lag time. Everything was great. The mortgage rates and terms we received were what was expected.

We love Jersey Mortgage. During the process, I had to give my daughter power of attorney because I was in a different state at the time. John flew out to California to present the papers to me. Also, my daughter and I felt that we became friends with the folks ay Jersey. My daughter is only 25 and this is her first homebuyer program. One of the biggest things she appreciated was how Jersey explained everything to her because she didn't really know much about it. They didn't treat her like a dumb kid so that was good.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I’ve done business before with Marcus of Jersey Mortgage. He helped me get my first property. This time, I got a VA loan, and the application process was a breeze. This whole process took four months, but there were other factors that had to do with that. Although overall, Jersey Mortgage did well, there were times where I felt like I would have to send the same document to various people that I had already sent to people working in the company.

My interaction with Marcus was good for the most part. He got the loan despite my unique situation. I already had a three-family investment, and he was able to help me get another three-family in the same town. According to Marcus, it wasn’t hard to obtain the second contract because of my good record. The rate of the mortgage could be a little lower though, but this is New Jersey.

The underwriter told me that I could call her and tell her about anything, but the one time that I called her about the paperwork that she asked for, she almost canceled my loan because I was being upfront with her about my situation. That was kinda like being two-faced. They wanted me to produce a lease for the apartment that I was living in then, and I expressed to them that it was unrealistic because, at that point, I didn’t know whether I was going to get a closing date or not. I told Denise, another rep, about my situation and she made it like she was understanding. She told me that she was gonna tell her underwriter, but I later found out that she was about to cancel my mortgage because of that.

Marcus told me what happened, that we almost lost the loan. He said I needed to find a tenant for my apartment, so we can keep the lease. I didn’t think that that was Marcus’ fault, but that situation was kinda messed up. The underwriter was telling me to confide in her, and then I confided in her. But then she did not even let me know that she was about to cancel my whole mortgage because of that. I didn’t like that.

Don’t tell somebody that, “You can call me anytime and let me know what’s going on,” when all the while you’re playing two sides of this. I would rather she told me, "This could potentially affect your mortgage. I would recommend XYZ.” Don’t tell me, “Okay, you’re good,” and then the next thing I know, my mortgage guy, Marcus, is telling me, “This is what happened because you had this phone call with her. And this is what almost happened, but we were able to talk them down.” I would rather she be honest with me and say, “If you are not able to do that, this might happen.” But she was telling me, “You’re okay, and we’re gonna work it out.” She could’ve told me that I just needed to find somebody and then I would have figured it out. I did figure it out and I did find somebody. Jersey Mortgage got me the loan, but everybody can learn from the little personal stuff, moving forward. Still, I would recommend Jersey Mortgage.

Original review: March 8, 2019

My wife and I were looking for a long time working with a new homeowner’s partnership program, and that was leading to nowhere. I ran into Jersey Mortgage and started working with them. The initial stuff was pre-mortgage application analysis -- giving them information about our income, where we work, length of time at that job, social security and whatnot. And then, they kind of basically told us our credit was good enough for our loan. They got us pre-qualified, which was very helpful. The entire loan application all the way to the end was all positive. The application process was a little bit different from what I remember my parents but that was more due to just the housing market and the process, and how it changed from 2008. A lot more documentation is needed to be provided and a lot more verification.

The closing got delayed as closings do all the time and our interest rate lock-in had expired, and we had to pay to have that extended. The closing date got pushed out so far in advance that the lock-in rate was only valid for about two weeks after the initial closing. But I liked that the loan officer was very on top of it. They wanted to get their items buttoned up so no one was waiting on them, which I appreciated because it’s one burden off of me to keep that four-way communication between the lender, the real estate and the lawyer going. Jersey was also very good about getting me a good interest rate. It did not come with 20%, so there was the PMI, which I hate having. But I know there’s a reason for that. Jersey Mortgage is a trusted company. They’ll work with you to get you the best possible mortgage, and you should work with them. I would recommend them.

Jersey Mortgage Co. response

Thanks so much for writing a nice review - We are happy you were pleased with our services and wish you the very best in your new home

Pete Kenny
          SVP

Jersey Mortgage Company

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jersey Mortgage Company?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Everything was explain to me in detail. I understand that I may or may not get the loan but I am willing to try hoping that I will get the loan and able to move in my dream home soon. Mr. ** was very helpful.

Original review: May 30, 2019

The process with Jersey Mortgage was very convoluted. Being a first-time homebuyer, I expected a little more hand-holding and to be walked through it. It was not that they didn’t walk us through it but I felt like I was constantly following up. It was nearly everyday. I was making sure things were getting done and that my questions were getting answered. I felt like I was facilitating it myself and it was a little irritating. They also asked me for documents that I provided more than once, which was a little annoying.

I didn’t even have to go with them. I didn’t need a mortgage broker. We got really good credit. I could’ve gone through my bank. But my realtor recommended them and I was trying to honor the referral. I chose to go with them so I expected a higher level of service. They could’ve been better with the way that they handled it and responded. For them, maybe it’s an everyday thing but it wasn’t for us. So I was a lot annoyed by the end. They weren’t bad people. It’s just that the process didn’t go the way that I would have preferred. It was a big headache and I wasn’t satisfied at all.

I also don’t think it was just the company. I don’t know if it was just the nature of things but the process felt very fractured. It didn’t feel very seamless. In terms of the whole signing of the documents, from end to end in getting the final approval, it was probably 45 days, maybe a little more. I also could’ve gotten a slightly lower rate with my bank but it was reasonable and I’m fine with it.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Everything was super smooth with Jersey Mortgage and we had a good experience. The lending agent, Gina, was fantastic. She communicated well. If we had an issue, we emailed her and she got right back to us. I thought getting any mortgage was a pain but everything was simple. We were able to do everything online and sign. There were a million things we had to fill out and every time we thought we were done, they had other stuff for us. But I think that’s any lender and I don’t think it was a horrible experience.

The rate was good but we could’ve done better. I had gone to my bank to get paperwork for the mortgage, and they had a much lower rate for us. But at the end of the day, we felt like we were already done, like we were at the end of the process, and we wouldn’t have wanted to start over for a cheaper rate. We could’ve gotten a better rate, but this was convenient. Gina worked well with our Realtor and made life easy. It was worth whatever we paid.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Jersey Mortgage's reps were upfront with all the costs. They were sincere in terms of what the process was and what they can do for me. I went with them and got a regular fixed rate, 30-year loan program. They had a list of all the paperwork that they needed upfront. Once those were provided, if any additional information was necessary, they came back to me with what additional information they might need. The whole process took two months and during that time, there some doubts in terms of the process and if the loan was gonna go through. My rep Garth communicated up front that everything was okay and told me to forward the additional paperwork I needed. I was really impressed with the communication. Jersey did the best they could for me given the circumstances.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I was purchasing a new home and Jersey Mortgage Co. was recommended to me. They were able to help somebody who was getting affordable housing, whereas other lenders don’t. I gave the initial numbers that they needed to know to see if I would qualify over the phone but a lot of the application was online. I've been down this road a whole bunch of times but this was my best experience. Randolph, the rep, was wonderful and great. I would give him a big thumbs-up.

Not sure about Jersey Mortgage Co.?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

Jersey Mortgage Company expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage loan company services New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Florida and Connecticut. The company provides a variety of mortgage products, including VA and FHA loans as well as customized loans to meet most borrowers needs.

• In-house processing: This company processes its loans in one of its three New Jersey offices instead of outsourcing the work. This gives them greater control over their rates and fees charged than online brokers.

• Informational resources: The company's website features guides and calculators for homebuyers and people who are refinancing. These help consumers learn how much they can afford or find out how much they can save by buying instead of renting.

• Simple to start: Consumers fill out a short form online to have a loan officer contact them or set up a meeting at one of several branch locations.

• LendRIGHT Seal of Excellence: They have earned the LendRIGHT™ seal of excellence, a designation that shows they value relationships, information, guidance, honesty and trust. Only lenders who meet specific criteria can use the LendRIGHT seal.

• Assistance for first-time homebuyers: The company helps people get assistance from the state of New Jersey through the First Time Home Buyer Program.

• Best for: people who need loan customization, those who want in-person attention and first-time homebuyers.

by Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Jersey Mortgage Co. Company Information