Call toll free
4.63/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With roots dating back to 1938, Jersey Mortgage Company has worked with thousands of families to help them achieve their refinancing, second home, and first time homebuyer dreams. We proudly offer competitive and flexible home loan options and provide each individual with personalized service.

Because Jersey Mortgage is a direct lender, we are able to offer programs such as direct in-house underwriting, FHA, USDA, VA, First Time Home Buyers, and other home loan programs that other companies aren’t able to provide. With a majority of our staff having worked with our company for ten or more years we are able to ensure that we will provide you with the best service possible.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

391 Jersey Mortgage Co. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I was looking for a mortgage company for my son’s first house. The whole thing took four weeks and he had a good experience with Jersey Mortgage. They explained everything including the information that we needed. Some things took time to get, like two days, but they worked with us. The process was good and the guy kept in contact morning and evening. If I had any questions, I could call him any time. When I talked to them, they would text or email. He always kept in communication. It was great. My son and I think he was concerned about us getting a mortgage. He was working with us. I also recommended my sister to go to Jersey Mortgage.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

We wanted a larger home and we were buying outright. For our mortgage, we went with Jersey Mortgage based on a referral. The application process was easy. We filled out the application, went over the numbers, received approval and signed. The hardest part was making the first payment. There was no option to pay online. It could only be mailed. I hope they give other options for payments and make it more accessible. That aside, it was one of the easier mortgaging processes I’ve been through. It was flawless and effortless. In total, from application to signing, the process took three months and the loan officer, Cathy, was available at any time that I needed her or I had a question or a concern. She went over, above and beyond, and I was completely comfortable working with her. She explained everything and basically hand-held us all the way through. The terms were a lot better than I expected too. I’ve also already recommended Jersey Mortgage.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

My first loan officer was horrible so I had to let him go a couple of weeks after I went in Jersey Mortgage's contract. It was my first time purchasing and Marcus and his wife, Kim, made everything so easy. I was totally impressed. They're extremely helpful and they made everything squeaky clear, squeaky clean. They were very patient and insightful. They didn't have to be on-call 24 hours the way that they were. Nothing was a dumb question. They had time for everything. And then when they didn't have time, they made time, even after closing. I spoke to Kim less than a couple of weeks ago because I had some questions my actual mortgage payment and she accommodated me then as well when she didn't have to. They are 100% appreciated for that.

However, I thought I would get a lower rate due to where my credit stands. I didn't understand that it goes by the market and all of those little different stuff that are hard to reach and determine. I thought it was determined on your credit, and that was one thing that I learned working with Marcus. I called and thanked them five times after I closed. I told them when I'm ready to purchase my next home, if I can't go through them, I wouldn't do it through anybody else.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I wanted to get out of renting and purchase my own home. My sister-in-law used Jersey Mortgage and she owned a couple of home sites, so she referred them to me. She said that they were really good and they are. They made my dream come true. But buying a house is always hard and my experience was not a walk in the park. The process was very tedious about things I needed to give them and I did all of that at the same time as I was working full time. But we got there and the application and underwriting was done in about five months. From what I hear, it is very dreadful with other lenders compared to what I went through with Jersey Mortgage. I was also working with them for years because my credit wasn’t up par and they told me what I needed to work on.

Everything was smooth sailing when it came to Jersey Mortgage and they told me exactly what I needed. I worked with Al and he was determined to help me. He always told me not to hesitate and even on his days off and he was home, he was attentive to me. Every time I called him and I had a question, he was there to answer them all day every day. If I called on weekends, it would usually take them a day and a half to get back to me but I didn’t expect them to answer me as quickly as possible because they weren’t working. Also, my rates are a little bit higher than what a lot of people tell me the way it should be but based on my credit and the fact that I am just starting, it is fair. And Al explained it in details as to why the rates were that way.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

John, from Jersey Mortgage and I, go way back. He did the initial financing for my house that we currently live in. His staff was amazing. I like that they pay attention to my needs and they always try to bend over backwards for me. It's a process that also entails on how much you put into it. As long as you pay for it, it's in order and as long as you're on point, the process is not long. But his patience and his expertise is amazing, and that's why I don't go anywhere else. The process took 3 weeks. This is the third time we did the refinancing. I was spoiled because of when I came into the market, I was locked in at 3.75 years so it took me a little while to get used to it to be at a 5% mark. But everything works out for the best.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jersey Mortgage Company?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Marcus, Jersey Mortgage's rep, was able to expedite or at least make the process efficient. He and his wife were also good to follow up. So, we decided to get a mortgage for a new home purchase with them. The application process was tedious but they were very persistent and helpful in making it as easy as possible. It took about six to eight weeks to complete. Before I did the application with Jersey, I was using another mortgage company for a purchase for my daughter’s home that I was helping out with and that process was horrific. The different departments didn’t speak to each other, the head of the mortgage company was condescending, and the process was duplicitous. So in comparison, Jersey Mortgage was leaps and bounds above that, though the communication among their different departments could be a little bit better. The rate of the mortgage was a little high as well.

Other than that, they don’t really make any trips or extend themselves to come and pick up anything, which was a little bit of a challenge. Some other places I have worked with would come and pick up or assist. But Jersey Mortgage's reps were amenable to using different forms of communication with us. For example, with me, it was much easier to fax than to go to my email, open up their email, print something out, go back, scan, and send. It was very time-intensive for me as a physician to be going through all of those steps, so they were trying to make that easier for me by being able to fax things directly to their phone or to their email.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We needed a house. We knew someone working at Jersey Mortgage, and so we went in there and filled out the paperwork. We got the 30-year program and the rate we got was fair. Our loan officer was Chris and he's one of our good friends. He was very personable and helpful. He was very on top of things and made sure that we had everything we needed.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I was recommended to Jersey Mortgage by a very fussy person. I knew if he picked Jersey Mortgage, they were a good mortgage company to go with, so I didn't go to anybody else. I refinanced with them and their lending process was relatively easy. I just had to get the paperwork and everything they needed. It took about six weeks to close and everything went smoothly. Their reps were also pleasant. Anything I needed, they helped me. Even when I called them, they called me back right away and all my questions were answered. So when I had to refinance again, I used them again. My second mortgage was a little higher than my first, but there was no controlling that and I had to take my PMI off. Overall, Jersey Mortgage was great to work with. Their reps, Hal and his wife, were wonderful, too.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Jersey Mortgage is definitely one that I would use to get a mortgage. I dealt with a couple of lenders where there was no personal touch and it was basically dealing with a script. The Jersey Mortgage guy I dealt with was really nice, polite and very helpful. He always called and still contacts us to see how everything's going. He has gone above and beyond, and I was very comfortable working with him.

I got an FHA loan and they required my W2's, past three years of taxes, city taxes, and mortgage insurance. About two months was spent for application and underwriting. My only problem was before I signed the loan for the construction, but the mortgage process after that was fine and easy as can be. There were a couple of times where we had to resend stuff but it was done. Then when it was time to close, there were a few phone calls and one visit with the closer. Also, the rates and terms of the mortgage were decent and comparable with the national.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I used to live in Florida and I thought about relocating back to New Jersey. I wanted to purchase a house coming back so I Googled mortgage companies. A lot of them that I called were kind of like, “You're not really in the market and you're not ready to buy. So, call me back when you're ready to buy” type of thing. Jersey Mortgage came up that got really good reviews and Brian, who was the sales manager there worked with me. He always answered all of my questions and took his time to explain things to me. He didn’t even know if he was gonna make a sale. He went over and beyond and was just really genuine on his behalf. During this whole process, I found a home and the loan was ready to close with Jersey Mortgage, but it turned out the seller couldn't sell the home so I went back to the drawing board again.

Three years later, here I am again. This time, I dealt with a loan officer who was very direct and not personal at all. When buying a home, there were a lot of mixed emotions, stress, and what-ifs, and when I spoke to her, I didn’t get any sort of peace of mind. I mentioned it to Brian and he ended up looking after our file after that. I went back and forth with him and ultimately, I was able to purchase a home. The turnaround time was very quick from the time I submitted the application to getting me preapproved. The only thing was that the mortgage was a little high, but I wanted to purchase a home anyhow to get it done, and that’s what mattered most. I was very happy with the service and it was a really good experience from Jersey Mortgage.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I was attempting to purchase a new home and Jersey Mortgage was recommended to me. I went with a Streamline 203K. However, it's very expensive. It also has a long process but they worked with me every step of the way. The application process was standard and the process took about a month and a half to finish. Also, Cathy, the officer that I worked with was good and very personable. She coached me through the whole experience. She was always reachable as well. I felt very comfortable speaking with the people from Jersey Mortgage and overall, my experience was good. They have educated me a lot on things I needed to do as far as my credit or things that are needed when applying for a home loan. I would go through them again if I needed a mortgage.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Jersey Mortgage's application process took about two months and it was awesome. The reps were the best. They were very professional, very thorough and everything was as expected. Bruce, the rep who worked with me was awesome. I was a first-time home buyer and he was very careful to always explain things to me in terms that I could understand. He never spoke above my head and he was always very accessible to me. And there was not any time that I felt like I was signing up for anything I didn’t understand. We had a lot of things crop up, not being his fault, but he was always very upfront with me and let me know immediately if there was a problem. Communication was never an issue and I was most impressed by that. His whole team was very good.

Jersey Mortgage made the process of purchasing a house very easy and made it feel like it was doable. I’ve worked with other companies before because I work in the industry, but with them and especially it being my own purchase, I never felt worried about anything. They were always very explanative of everything. It was a very good, positive experience. I would definitely use Jersey Mortgage should I buy a house again.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

We purchased a home and the realtor we were using recommended Jersey Mortgage. I looked at other places as well but I was in a time crunch and Jersey Mortgage told me they could get it done within a certain period of time and they were on time. I went with an FHA and the application process with Jersey Mortgage was fairly easy. The process took seven weeks and they did what they said they were gonna do. However, there was a lot of paperwork and documentation from the past two years I had to get for them. They wanted more information as to where the downpayment was coming from.

But the mortgage person, Cathy, was great and took care of everything for me. She was on top of everything. She didn’t let anything sit and followed up every day. If she needed something from me and I didn’t send it right away, she followed up. She was doing things that all the other banks told me they couldn’t do. They said I wasn't gonna get a loan because of this or that. They didn’t even really try. Cathy said they'd get it done. I just needed to do whatever she tells me to do. She said what she was gonna do and she did it.

Everything was email-driven and the only drawback was when I called, I didn’t always get Cathy on the phone. She should be more accessible via phone. A lot of times, I would call and I would have to speak to someone else who wasn’t always privy to what was going on in my mortgage. But then, I would email her and she would respond to me 15 minutes later so I knew she was getting my messages, but it was a little difficult to get a hold of her sometimes.

The rates were a little high, but they were somewhat comparable to the other banks and the fact that the other banks weren’t giving me the mortgage, I had no choice. But I was very happy. Jersey worked hard on my mortgage. Whenever there was a hurdle, they figured out a way around it. They are a great company and honest too. They never told me something just to make me think they could do it. They were truthful with me and that was all I wanted.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I was purchasing a house and a friend recommended Jersey Mortgage Co. Their rep was always available and she was willing to help. She called, sent a text and emailed me. The application and underwriting process took two weeks. I’m happy and I got a house. I will recommend Jersey Mortgage. It’s a good company. Use them to buy your first house or any house.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We had sold our home in Alabama and we were trying to purchase a home in New Jersey. I was referred to Bruce who is a loan officer over at Jersey Mortgage. After my first conversation with him, while I was still in Alabama, he made me feel comfortable about everything. He would basically hold our hand through the whole process, trying to get a mortgage for a home that we did not have yet in Jersey. Through the whole process of looking at homes and going through the whole procedure, he gave me the insight on pros and cons from a third party, not just as the mortgage guy. I could also call him at 4 o’clock in the morning and tell what I'm thinking. When he didn't know the answer, he would straight up tell me about it, and within an hour, he had the answer with different options. Bruce walked me through everything and I felt like he was in the living room every time we were on the phone. It wasn't generic, it was very personalized.

We went with an FHA, 30-year, fixed loan program. Bruce requested a bunch of paperwork and documents. I would forward them over and they would go through them. They would then tell me they needed more information, like updated pay stubs, and whatever it was, I just scanned it and send it over to them. The process was that easy. On the underwriting side though, they had a woman that was an underwriter and she left in the middle of our process. When the next woman took over, there was a bit of hiccup on what documentation she had and did not already have. But then, Bruce said he already has the documentation and so he sent it over to her. It was re-explaining what was going on to someone else ‘cause there was a change.

All in all, I had been working with Bruce for almost 10 months. We had gone through multiple processes with homes. We were under contract and we were almost about to close. And then the survey came back and we found out that the property we were buying with the house on it was protected wetlands. We only found that out from the survey. So, that process had to stop. But once we found the house that we purchased, the entire process from that house to the end was only 50 days. And a lot of that was due to the fact that we had had stuff previously on another home. Given my experience, if someone would ask about Jersey Mortgage, I’d tell them they're idiots if they go anywhere else. Their rates were fair and on point too.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

When I was needing a new home, Jersey Mortgage was referred to me by my sister. I got a conventional home loan, and the process was good and fairly simple. Also, the person I worked with, Kimberly, was very helpful and attentive. She guided me through the whole process, which was a lot. She was very responsive, too. All questions I had, even things like unrelated to the actual mortgage like insurance and such, she helped guide me in that process as well. Even after I was done with the whole process, I emailed Kimberly not that long ago with a question about a letter I got in the mail from the actual broker, which is now like PennyMac, and she even helped me with that. She guided me 'cause I was completely lost as to what they were even talking about, and she told me I didn't have to do that. She was awesome and I would definitely recommend her.

The application and underwriting process,on the other hand, took a month and a half. However, it was annoying. Because it was my first time I was just lost the whole time. Still, the rate I got was good and it was with the market at that time.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Brian ** and his team took away all our concerns with our first home buying experience. They were swift and quick with all emails, questions, and were very thorough throughout the whole process. Thank you so much for all the work you guys have done.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I was referred by a friend to Jersey Mortgage, and I had a great experience. The loan officer I worked with was very helpful and informative. Being that this is my first home, there was a lot I didn't know, and he really explained everything. I would love to have gotten a lower interest rate, but eventually, I'll probably try to refinance.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I looked into getting a mortgage when I was ready to purchase a home. I then got the FHA from Jersey Mortgage. They always followed up and followed through. They also made the entire experience a whole lot easier, even though it was frustrating at times just looking. The process was very simple, too. They were very helpful with regard to helping with things that I didn't understand because that was my first time. They basically walked me through.

With the home that I ended up getting, the application and underwriting process was a lot faster than I thought. It was about 30 days. The first time that we made an offer on something that we were going with, when it came time for the appraisal, the home appraised a lot lower than what we were paying. So, the owner of that home did not want to drop the price -- obviously it was a huge difference. We then had to not go through with that one, but then once we found this home, it went really quickly. I worked with Kim, the loan officer, and I like his attentiveness and patience. It was never too early or too late to call with a dumb question, and they always answered. Comparing to market prices, the rate I got was also good. I was happy that they made the process so seamless.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

It was our first time purchase and our realtor referred Jersey Mortgage. We had to go through some of the questions and get the pre-approval, then course through email and the online system to get the rest of the documentation in order. They had a lot of different documents and we had to reach out a couple of times to explain different things but everyone was very responsive to make it as easy as possible. Once they reached out, it was very easy to get the information. The information beforehand would’ve been something to improve but my experience in dealing with their loan officer was very positive. We were able to be open and ask questions and it was a good experience overall.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My loan officer was good but the application process with Jersey Mortgage was a lot longer than it was back when I last refinanced 15 years ago. I had a little bit of a problem with the title company that they used and that held up mortgage, but I have straightened that out. But unfortunately, because of a mistake that the title company went through, I got penalized and had to pay a higher rate than I expected which I wasn't too happy about.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I wanted to get a house and Jersey Mortgage was recommended to me by someone who had used them before. After I dealt with the agent, I didn’t want to shop around and I just stuck with her because she walked me through the process and assisted me at every point. Plus, the rates were all right. The interaction with the loan officer was great, but at one point, the person that was dealing with the loan left so we had to submit the paperwork again, which was frustrating. I feel that there should be a way to assign a new person and they would be able to see where the first person left off. I recommend Jersey Mortgage to other people.

Original review: July 24, 2018

My friend had a really good experience with Jersey Mortgage, and not having any experience, I decided to go with them too. I applied for the FHA loan and I got good rates from them. It was a lengthy process but it went fine and easy. Everything was well explained to me. Denise, my mortgage rep, was very helpful and she walked me through the whole process. She was very involved in making sure that I was making all the right decisions as far as finances go. She was looking out for me and that was comforting, considering I was a first-time home-buyer. I would definitely recommend Jersey Mortgage to others.

Original review: July 18, 2018

We did a new home purchase, so we looked into getting a mortgage and Jersey Mortgage was recommended by the sales agent. The application process took a bit longer than I thought it would, about one to two months. I had gotten a pre-approval from Wells Fargo which didn’t take as long as the Jersey Mortgage process. The loan officer that helped was fine, although not as knowledgeable as I thought they would be in regards to certain financial records that I have, like my Roth IRA and things like that. With Wells Fargo, they had given me a few more credits than Jersey Mortgage provided and it was definitely more financial credit to get Jersey Mortgage's business. Also, in regards to a lot of the financial records that they needed, it was an overkill.

Original review: July 10, 2018

It’s my first time doing a mortgage for a new home purchase. The communication with Jersey Mortgage was really tight and they made the application process really easy. I got lucky working with my loan officer, Chris. He’s amazing. He really took the time to answer the questions I had and we were able to understand everything that was going on.

Original review: July 9, 2018

My loan officer, Marcus was the best. I got my first house from him eight years ago so, he helped me sell and buy a new home. The process with Jersey Mortgage went smooth but their communication could be improved as I wasn’t only dealing with Marcus, but I was also dealing with an agent and a lawyer. That aside, they did a good job and they got the job done. And the mortgage rate I got was marketable although I would love to have it cheaper.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I got a VA loan from Jersey Mortgage. My loan officer Scott was communicative and he did a fine job. But the process could have gone a little quicker. Other companies were able to lock in quicker than they did, and I ended up paying the points just to get that rate. But overall, the process went smoothly.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Jersey Mortgage was a direct lender and had good reviews. I did a 3,000 type of loan with them. I submitted an application then all the paperwork and bank statements. Their loan officer was definitely responsive. He picked up his phone, text message and all ways of communication and helped us out a lot. The rates could have been better though. I assumed we locked up the rate when we submitted in the application but we didn't lock the rate until the week before we closed when right at that point, the rate had gone up. I didn't like that but other than that, it was fine. I had a pretty good experience with Jersey Mortgage. They helped us out to get this thing closed in time. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: July 4, 2018

The Jersey Mortgage application process took about 45 minutes and it was uncomfortable. It was a Fannie Mae property and that made the rules and regulations a bit more stringent than a regular house purchase. That made it a lot more difficult and nerve-wracking. But Cathy the loan officer facilitated a lot of information to help the process along and I was satisfied with her performance in the process. There was another person involved in the process that wasn’t quite as helpful, but Cathy helped me overcome a lot of obstacles.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I needed the money and went with Jersey Mortgage since I've known a loan officer there for a long time. She made sure that the loan went through and I got what I needed, though sometimes her hands were tied. I was a first-time buyer and the program I got was on a new construction loan converted into a regular loan. The application process went well and it took two weeks. However, the rate of the mortgage was a bit higher than the market and they charge a lot of fees, one of which was not supposed to be charged. It has been more than a month and I still haven’t received the refund check.

Jersey Mortgage Company expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage loan company services New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Florida and Connecticut. The company provides a variety of mortgage products, including VA and FHA loans as well as customized loans to meet most borrowers needs.

• In-house processing: This company processes its loans in one of its three New Jersey offices instead of outsourcing the work. This gives them greater control over their rates and fees charged than online brokers.

• Informational resources: The company's website features guides and calculators for homebuyers and people who are refinancing. These help consumers learn how much they can afford or find out how much they can save by buying instead of renting.

• Simple to start: Consumers fill out a short form online to have a loan officer contact them or set up a meeting at one of several branch locations.

• LendRIGHT Seal of Excellence: They have earned the LendRIGHT™ seal of excellence, a designation that shows they value relationships, information, guidance, honesty and trust. Only lenders who meet specific criteria can use the LendRIGHT seal.

• Assistance for first-time homebuyers: The company helps people get assistance from the state of New Jersey through the First Time Home Buyer Program.

• Best for: people who need loan customization, those who want in-person attention and first-time homebuyers.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Jersey Mortgage Co. Company Information