Call toll free
4.57/5
Based on 116 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With roots dating back to 1938, Jersey Mortgage Company has worked with thousands of families to help them achieve their refinancing, second home, and first time homebuyer dreams. We proudly offer competitive and flexible home loan options and provide each individual with personalized service.

Because Jersey Mortgage is a direct lender, we are able to offer programs such as direct in-house underwriting, FHA, USDA, VA, First Time Home Buyers, and other home loan programs that other companies aren’t able to provide. With a majority of our staff having worked with our company for ten or more years we are able to ensure that we will provide you with the best service possible.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

373 Jersey Mortgage Co. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I was referred by a friend to Jersey Mortgage, and I had a great experience. The loan officer I worked with was very helpful and informative. Being that this is my first home, there was a lot I didn't know, and he really explained everything. I would love to have gotten a lower interest rate, but eventually, I'll probably try to refinance.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

It was our first time purchase and our realtor referred Jersey Mortgage. We had to go through some of the questions and get the pre-approval, then course through email and the online system to get the rest of the documentation in order. They had a lot of different documents and we had to reach out a couple of times to explain different things but everyone was very responsive to make it as easy as possible. Once they reached out, it was very easy to get the information. The information beforehand would’ve been something to improve but my experience in dealing with their loan officer was very positive. We were able to be open and ask questions and it was a good experience overall.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My loan officer was good but the application process with Jersey Mortgage was a lot longer than it was back when I last refinanced 15 years ago. I had a little bit of a problem with the title company that they used and that held up mortgage, but I have straightened that out. But unfortunately, because of a mistake that the title company went through, I got penalized and had to pay a higher rate than I expected which I wasn't too happy about.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I wanted to get a house and Jersey Mortgage was recommended to me by someone who had used them before. After I dealt with the agent, I didn’t want to shop around and I just stuck with her because she walked me through the process and assisted me at every point. Plus, the rates were all right. The interaction with the loan officer was great, but at one point, the person that was dealing with the loan left so we had to submit the paperwork again, which was frustrating. I feel that there should be a way to assign a new person and they would be able to see where the first person left off. I recommend Jersey Mortgage to other people.

Original review: July 24, 2018

My friend had a really good experience with Jersey Mortgage, and not having any experience, I decided to go with them too. I applied for the FHA loan and I got good rates from them. It was a lengthy process but it went fine and easy. Everything was well explained to me. Denise, my mortgage rep, was very helpful and she walked me through the whole process. She was very involved in making sure that I was making all the right decisions as far as finances go. She was looking out for me and that was comforting, considering I was a first-time home-buyer. I would definitely recommend Jersey Mortgage to others.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jersey Mortgage Company?

Original review: July 18, 2018

We did a new home purchase, so we looked into getting a mortgage and Jersey Mortgage was recommended by the sales agent. The application process took a bit longer than I thought it would, about one to two months. I had gotten a pre-approval from Wells Fargo which didn’t take as long as the Jersey Mortgage process. The loan officer that helped was fine, although not as knowledgeable as I thought they would be in regards to certain financial records that I have, like my Roth IRA and things like that. With Wells Fargo, they had given me a few more credits than Jersey Mortgage provided and it was definitely more financial credit to get Jersey Mortgage's business. Also, in regards to a lot of the financial records that they needed, it was an overkill.

Original review: July 10, 2018

It’s my first time doing a mortgage for a new home purchase. The communication with Jersey Mortgage was really tight and they made the application process really easy. I got lucky working with my loan officer, Chris. He’s amazing. He really took the time to answer the questions I had and we were able to understand everything that was going on.

Original review: July 9, 2018

My loan officer, Marcus was the best. I got my first house from him eight years ago so, he helped me sell and buy a new home. The process with Jersey Mortgage went smooth but their communication could be improved as I wasn’t only dealing with Marcus, but I was also dealing with an agent and a lawyer. That aside, they did a good job and they got the job done. And the mortgage rate I got was marketable although I would love to have it cheaper.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I got a VA loan from Jersey Mortgage. My loan officer Scott was communicative and he did a fine job. But the process could have gone a little quicker. Other companies were able to lock in quicker than they did, and I ended up paying the points just to get that rate. But overall, the process went smoothly.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Jersey Mortgage was a direct lender and had good reviews. I did a 3,000 type of loan with them. I submitted an application then all the paperwork and bank statements. Their loan officer was definitely responsive. He picked up his phone, text message and all ways of communication and helped us out a lot. The rates could have been better though. I assumed we locked up the rate when we submitted in the application but we didn't lock the rate until the week before we closed when right at that point, the rate had gone up. I didn't like that but other than that, it was fine. I had a pretty good experience with Jersey Mortgage. They helped us out to get this thing closed in time. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: July 4, 2018

The Jersey Mortgage application process took about 45 minutes and it was uncomfortable. It was a Fannie Mae property and that made the rules and regulations a bit more stringent than a regular house purchase. That made it a lot more difficult and nerve-wracking. But Cathy the loan officer facilitated a lot of information to help the process along and I was satisfied with her performance in the process. There was another person involved in the process that wasn’t quite as helpful, but Cathy helped me overcome a lot of obstacles.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I needed the money and went with Jersey Mortgage since I've known a loan officer there for a long time. She made sure that the loan went through and I got what I needed, though sometimes her hands were tied. I was a first-time buyer and the program I got was on a new construction loan converted into a regular loan. The application process went well and it took two weeks. However, the rate of the mortgage was a bit higher than the market and they charge a lot of fees, one of which was not supposed to be charged. It has been more than a month and I still haven’t received the refund check.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I wanted to buy a house and I was looking into a big bank, but because I worked for a bank, I knew they have higher interest rates. I went into a small brokerage firm and came across Jersey Mortgage. I applied for the FHA program and the process was simple and streamlined. I got all the documents online, so it wasn’t difficult at all. My loan officer was also available at all times. He was very professional and anything I needed or any questions I had, he got that to me right away. If he didn’t answer the phone, I would text him. If he didn’t get back to me within 10 minutes, he’d get back to me when he could, let me know, apologize for the inconvenience and he'd have my answer. Also, if he needed to get more information, he followed up with me. I would have liked a lower rate, but based on the market, their rate was competitive. Jersey Mortgage is a great company.

Jersey Mortgage Co. response

Thank you, Jennifer for taking the time to write such a nice review - we will be sure to share it with Marcus French and his team at JMC .

We wish you the best in your new home!

Pete Kenny

Jersey Mortgage Company

Original review: July 1, 2018

I went with the first-time home buyers program of Jersey Mortgage and the process went so fast. I worked with the French team and they were all good. I got all the information that I needed and they responded quickly to questions about the interest rate, called me back and gave information electronically to review. They communicated very well and I discovered that everything they told me was right. They were very thorough in terms of making sure that I reviewed the documents before I signed them. They were very efficient, very competent and everything was done right. Their customer service was excellent and I was very comfortable working with Jersey Mortgage. I referred them to a cousin of mine in the process of buying a home.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I got a mortgage from Jersey Mortgage for my new house after they got recommended to me. I dealt with Steve and it was pretty comfortable working with him. The process of getting the mortgage was straightforward and it took 30 days.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I looked into getting a conventional mortgage so I could get money to cash out because I had debt with my credit cards and I also had to leave some equity in the home at the same time. The program of Jersey Mortgage was convenient for me. Ryan, a rep of Jersey, called and convinced me to go with them, but he was a new employee and didn't know that much yet, and he needed more experience. So, everything went very slowly and many mistakes were made, and I had to call Brian, another rep of Jersey, to fix the mistakes. Then I met with Ryan and Brian and after that, they called the appraiser to come and put the value for the house. They started to process all my papers. When they sent these for the underwriting, it took too long and there were many mistakes, but Ryan helped me out.

On the last day, they told me that we were gonna do the closing. I got surprised because they said that they had to take money from one of the credit cards and pay for something. I was about to cancel with Jersey because I kept asking them if I had to pay the money, but they told me not to worry as the bill was for Jersey and they’d pay it. Then, in the end, I found the mistake. They sent me to the title company, but it took too long for the title company to issue the tracking that I could send to the credit card companies. So, the credit card companies charged me late fees and I had to make several phone calls to Ryan, Brian, the title company, and the credit card companies. Some of the credit card companies waived the late fee for me, but some of them said that it was too much to waive. The process wasn't organized at all and the whole application and underwriting process took from January till April 19.

On the other hand, the lending process was more organized in my first experience with Jersey when I bought a house with a mortgage from them. Everything was perfect, on time, and went very smoothly. At that time, I worked with the rep, John, and he was perfect. But this time, I dealt with Ryan who had to check with Brian, and Brian was busy. Nevertheless, I've recommended Jersey Mortgage to many of my friends, but they told me that they were not going to Jersey after what happened to me. The lending process was too much during that time, especially with the underwriter.

Original review: June 26, 2018

The experience with Jersey Mortgage went well. The person that was helping us the whole time, Jewel, did an awesome job. My Realtor, Michael, has a good working relationship with her and he’s the one that recommended me to work with them. The whole process was very quick especially with everybody being on the go with everything. There were times where Jewel reached out to me even late at night just to make sure everything was going well to accelerate the process. If there were any questions, I could either email her, call or text her and she got back to me right away. I'm always hoping to get a better rate. But if I wasn’t happy with the rate, I would’ve gone with somebody else. I would recommend Jersey Mortgage to others.

Original review: June 24, 2018

The whole application process with Jersey Mortgage was easy and I had a great experience. The communication was very effective and everything was done in a timely manner before I even realized how long it took. I had access to my loan officer so it was really good. I felt very comfortable working with her. She extended her phone number so that she was always available. And if she wasn’t, she let me know because she knew that things were happening. She was reachable by email and I always got in contact with her when I really needed her. The rates and terms of the mortgage were good and she also explained everything to me. She made it clear that I could pay a little extra and get the rates down. And she figured out what was the best way to go about getting the mortgage, so we were thankful for that. It worked out for us. The people at Jersey Mortgage were excellent. I've heard horror stories and I didn’t experience them.

Original review: June 23, 2018

The company was one of the 10 top providers in New Jersey in the last two years. They have an office here in Jersey and I walked in. That was a good thing. I didn't wanna deal with phone and online. So I went to their building. I met Jerry and he was nice and helped me to go through everything together to get my loan, an FHA. The process took some long but that was because of the HUD and wasn’t on Jersey Mortgage. The house was on hold for couple of weeks because there was some stuff to be done on it. Also, we were waiting because of my taxes. But so far, for me as a first time, the rate and terms were good. My experience with them was perfect. Get yourself ready and go for them. You have to be able to do it.

Original review: June 22, 2018

My lending officer at Jersey Mortgage was excellent. He was on top of things and he handled things for me. When I spoke to him, he took his time and explained stuff in layman’s terms. He was upfront and told me quite frankly all of the changes in the escrows so I was ready for all that stuff. He got me through the process and he made all our deadlines that we worked on the beginning. And if I had any questions and concerns, he was instantaneous. He would text me that he’d call me back at x-time if he was on another line and then, he’d call me back at x-time which I was greatly appreciative of.

The whole process took about a month and a half to two months but that was no fault of his. I was changing and I went from an FHA 3% down to 5% down and then I ended up going 20% down, conventional. I actually made the job more difficult for him than he made it for me. Also, everything he told me was accurate. There were no surprises other than some stuff with my attorney but that was outside the mortgage lending responsibility. My experience with Jersey Mortgage was excellent. They were fabulous and I’d be more than happy to endorse them.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I looked into a mortgage for a refinance and went with Jersey Mortgage as I have already used them before and I liked the company. The process of obtaining the refinance was easy and it took less than a month. The loan officer, Bryan, was good and he answered all my questions. There was one time when I hesitated about doing the refinance but he was patient. He listened to me and told me to take my time. I've tried another company before, which was Quicken Loans Company and they told me that I wasn't qualified to refinance. But when I talked to Bryan, he said that everything was possible and then it went through. Everything was wonderful with Jersey Mortgage.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I want to wish Miracles and Blessings to Brian ** and the staff at Jersey Mortgage Company!!! Since the very first phone call Brian was honest, upfront, direct, and on point!!! They worked diligently till the very end on my loan!!! My husband and I are forever grateful to them for their hard work and dedication!!!

Original review: June 5, 2018

Everything is good. We bought our first home and our problem was where to pay the first payment. We went to a bank and we talked to the lady. We did one check for my mortgage and maybe today or tomorrow, we’ll go pay everything.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Everything about my experience with Jersey Mortgage has been good so far. We paid off the mortgage right away. Our loan officer was Scott and everything with him was great.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Jersey Mortgage was recommended to me by my cousin. Their application process was good and it took about a month. I felt comfortable working with the loan officer too. Our interactions were good and he did his job. Then when I had questions, he followed up. I went with the thirty-year fixed loan program, but the rates and terms could have been better.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My agent Sarah checked in with me and was always helpful. In the process, I was finding homes that wouldn’t work out, and I would decide I wasn’t gonna leave then I was gonna leave. But Sarah had a lot of patience with me. But there was somebody else that I was constantly sending paperwork to. She wanted the same information such that I would send something and then I’d have to resend it. Then they would tell me something wasn't signed but it felt like I had signed the same thing already and it annoyed me a little. Also, for every little detail that changed, I had to re-sign. Jersey Mortgage’s process was a bit of a pain in the butt. But outside of the whole paperwork issue, my experience with Jersey Mortgage was decent. It got done at the end of the day and I’m happy with my house. My mortgage rate is pretty good too.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I wanted to purchase a condo and I was referred to Jersey Mortgage by a family friend. I contacted the number on their website and I was contacted by one of their agents. The application and underwriting process was standard and took a few months but they walked me through it. Everything was handled professionally and in a timely manner. They were with me every step of the way and if I had any questions, they were very quick with their response in providing very clear answers. They were very nice, friendly and understanding.

At first, I had a sense of distrust for mortgage companies because I have a finance degree so I know some of the underlying practices but they were very straightforward. I wasn't too thrilled about the interest rate but it was a great process. However, I received a notification in the mail that my mortgage was sold to another company and I reached out to Jersey Mortgage to confirm. I would rather for them to reach out to me to let me know before the other company did.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My realtor recommended two mortgage companies to me when I bought a new house. I spoke with both but I had good rapport with Cathy, the loan officer from Jersey Mortgage, so I decided to go with them. She was great and she did an excellent job. Each time I had an issue, I called her and she always responded and explained things to me the way I understood it. When I realized that the interest rate was going up, I called her to lock my rate in, which she did almost immediately. The whole process took about two months and I really enjoyed the way Cathy went through it with me.

Original review: May 11, 2018

It was easy to work with Jersey Mortgage. It was first around New Jersey and I like New Jersey that was why I went with them. They had a good price and I took a 30-year mortgage. They asked a lot of questions since I had to be qualified to get the mortgage. However, they should make the process easier and not more difficult. It took one month to finish the application and underwriting process. I’m just waiting to get the book and start to pay the mortgage, and I’m very excited. They were beautiful people especially Scott. He was very good. It will be two to four years when we’d be most comfortable then I could pay and I would get another mortgage from another real estate. I got a lot of investment and that was the reason I took the mortgage. If anyone asks me about Jersey Mortgage, I would tell them to apply with them and they are gonna be happy.

Jersey Mortgage Co. response

Thanks, Yehuda for the great review and best of luck in your new home!!

Pete

Jersey Mortgage Company

Original review: May 9, 2018

We bought a house and went with Jersey Mortgage's program for buying a home. I called them, they asked me for relevant documents and took care of everything. My interaction with Al, my loan officer, was a hundred percent positive. He was the VP and sort of my point person and he had a team of underwriters and loan processors that were three or four people. He was outstanding and I was most impressed by his personal attention. I couldn’t ask for a better loan officer.

Given what the market was and having done some research the mortgage rate was fair. The application process was reasonable and it took two weeks only because there was some snag from my old property that was out of their control and had nothing to do with Jersey Mortgage. But they helped me through fixing it up. The people at Jersey Mortgage were always available to answer my questions or concerns and they really went the extra mile. They were excellent and they deserve the positive press.

Jersey Mortgage Co. response

Thank you Sameer for the nice review of Al Perez and his team at Jersey Mortgage Company - We wish you the very best of luck in your new home

Pete

Jersey Mortgage Company expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage loan company services New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Florida and Connecticut. The company provides a variety of mortgage products, including VA and FHA loans as well as customized loans to meet most borrowers needs.

• In-house processing: This company processes its loans in one of its three New Jersey offices instead of outsourcing the work. This gives them greater control over their rates and fees charged than online brokers.

• Informational resources: The company's website features guides and calculators for homebuyers and people who are refinancing. These help consumers learn how much they can afford or find out how much they can save by buying instead of renting.

• Simple to start: Consumers fill out a short form online to have a loan officer contact them or set up a meeting at one of several branch locations.

• LendRIGHT Seal of Excellence: They have earned the LendRIGHT™ seal of excellence, a designation that shows they value relationships, information, guidance, honesty and trust. Only lenders who meet specific criteria can use the LendRIGHT seal.

• Assistance for first-time homebuyers: The company helps people get assistance from the state of New Jersey through the First Time Home Buyer Program.

• Best for: people who need loan customization, those who want in-person attention and first-time homebuyers.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Jersey Mortgage Co. Company Information

Public
1988
511 South Avenue East
Cranford
NJ
www.jerseymortgage.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business