2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.7/5 (513 ratings)

About Voya Financial

Voya Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Voya Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Voya Financial?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

My husband died of a massive heart attack and had a retirement account through his job with Voya. My financial advisor helped me in submitting the paperwork to do a rollover to my 401. To suffice it to say Voya has lied and still have yet to give me my hardworking husband's money. First said needed a certain form which my financial advisor had sent numerous times. Then finally was told check was in mail. Guess what. It never showed. I called and was told they would send it UPS and guess what it still never showed and was told they had incorrect mailing address which when I asked what address they had for me it was the correct one!

Just got off the phone with them and received the usual comments that they must train their customer service. To say, it is shameful and so dishonest.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

After submitting all the necessary paperwork including the judgement that I would be evicted Voya still denied my withdrawal. I am now homeless because of them. Please believe they do not care about anyone least of all you.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

As a retired school teacher, I am shocked at the the stalling tactics that the financial corporation Voya Financial is using to avoid giving their retired clients their well-earned retirement proceeds. Voya states that their policy is to issue clients requested withdrawals within 7 days of the request. Yet, since October 19, it has been three weeks since my initial request for a partial withdrawal. And I've been given nothing but lame excuses. After researching Voya Consumer Reviews online, I'm finding that there are several other retirees with the same experience.

After my initial complaint On November 1, Voya Pension 2 manager Kaylee, stated that I would have my two withdrawals no later than Tuesday November 8. The excuse was that the third-party approving agency, Penserv, sent an incomplete application. I had to call Voya Pension 2 again to get this information. I set up a conference call with Voya and Penserv. Penserv stated they sent all 5 pages. But the agreed tone again fax Voya another copy of my withdrawal application.

Today, November 8th I called once again. I was shocked to now hear from manager Aurelio ** that now the excuse is that "the fax was BACKWARDS!" They claim they can't read the fax. These excuses are unbelievable. I made more phone calls including leaving a message to a Retirement Financial attorney to get information on a class-action lawsuit. After researching online, I found out that other retirees are having the same experience with Voya Pension 2. Can someone help us?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

It has been a month -so far- and so far I’ve submitted the same documents to Voya for my 2 accounts 4 times for each account! They would say they hadn’t received the documents from me or my new company or my 3rd party administrator, then, when pressed, they would miraculously find one or two of the three documents. When they finally completed one of the account rollovers, they said they still had received 0 of the three required documents for the other account, even though 3 separate entities had sent the documents for both accounts at the same time. Finally, after I’ve had to complete my application with my new company 3 times -so far- they send the check only for it to be returned by the bank! I’m at a loss!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

Voya's IT team decided that one hundred million Mac and iPhone users do not deserve full access to their platform via Safari. Want to see your contribution history? How about matching contributions? Nope. Is there even a warning on the site that Voya discriminates against Mac users? No, but there should be: "Here at Voya, it's 1990." Even Samantha, the aloof customer service agent who deigned to talk at and over me, needed 21 minutes to suggest "my" problem was my browser. I do not trust this company. Deposits take nearly ten days to show up. I was forced to open an account here. My financial advisor cringed when I spoke 'The V Word'. "Brace yourself" he warned me. "It's nearly impossible to ever get your money back from them." I'd have been better off stuffing my mattress with cash. At least I'd know where it is.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I was forced to make multiple calls to the customer service phone number regarding a withdrawal request from my retirement account due to erroneous information being shared with me multiple times and, ultimately, failure to execute the withdrawal request with me which cost me $ and significant follow up time on the phone yet again. In my final call, I demanded to speak to a manager and waited 15 minutes on hold until I was connected. The manager provided me with a completely different solution path to my issue and could not explain to me why multiple agents I spoke to prior to this over three weeks failed to provide this information. If I had the choice to move this $ to a competent company, I absolutely would (I'm a government retiree). If you have a choice with your retirement $, stay away from VOYA!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

This company not only waited until I had ten days left to rollover my money before mailing out that notice and the information on how to do so, but when I got it from them it was a day past the due date to roll over my money. Not only did I lose a huge chunk because they automatically made it into a check and sent it out before that day had passed, but I had to pay a fee for being under 65 to them for electing to have money withdrawn instead of rolled over, on top of that I had to pay a transaction fee so I ended up receiving less than a third of all my savings.

** this company, if they could have called me before the date and asked me if I had gotten the paperwork or if I wanted to roll it over or not I would still have the other 2/3 of my retirement money I had worked so hard to save. They literally commit fraud and have legal grounds to do so and it's **. I wanted to roll my money over but it was too late when I got the information how to and the statement telling me I had to or lose it.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Quick Call Outs:

- Outdated request processes: have to fax/mail in to set up auto pay
    - ACH/EFT Payments only, cannot use a debit card
    - Online site does not track check payments/previous payment history

- Unreliable bill mailers

This is the second month in 2021 that my mother-in-law's life insurance bill has not arrived in the mail. When I called in to try and pay, I was told they can't take one-time payments over the phone and that she would be late on her payment if she mailed out a check that day. I went through the lengthy process of creating an online account for her, only to realize how incredibly limited their system is. I was able to submit her payment (they accept checking ACH details only...) to keep her current, and learned that in order to set her up for auto pay, we have to submit a voided check and fill out lengthy forms to send via fax or mail. It's just frustrating and shocking that a financial institution has yet to invest in simple system and process improvements that will vastly improve their customer experience.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

In order to roll over funds they require you to FAX or mail in signed documentation (9 sheets total, only 1 requires any signatures). I have a feeling this is intended to slow down the process which is a very shady business practice. I've done about 2 transfers before and all were done entirely online via a form or email if a signature was required.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I will echo what others have stated in reviews of Voya... The company has deliberately made it agonizingly slow to retrieve your own money. Today I called my financial guy at Avantax for a 401K distribution to cover wife's catastrophic medical expenses. It took a 5 minute phone call and my funds will be in my bank in 4 days. Like an insurance company... Voya wants you to send them money... They do not want to send you money.

Voya Financial Company Information