1.14/5
Based on 253 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

HSBC

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 30, 2018

718 HSBC Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

They have this really policy that to use the APP you need to have a PIN number that they give you and that is fine. Now the problem is they send the PIN number through mail a couple weeks after you have your card. I called customer service to ask for it, they can't help... And all they can do is to give you a temporary Login ID and password until the PIN number arrived in the mail. The customer service... I would guess they are from outside the States so a bit hard to understand and the quality of the call is terrible. They also transfer you 2 or 3 times to the wrong department. Then after you wasted 20 minutes talking to the wrong people they still unable to help you. I'm just gonna to get the sign up bonus offered then will never use this card again.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

HSBC Jersey have managed to "lose" a large sum of money they were transferring from our account in Jersey to another UK account. Simple huh? Well not for this bank... They do not call back, they offer platitudes like "I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations" (well I certainly did not expect my money to go missing) and they take no responsibility for their ineptitude. The relationship managers are forbidden to give out their manager's email or the email of the CEO, which clearly suggests that they do not want their lofty CEO and managers to be bothered by a pesky customer complaint. Disgraceful HSBC JERSEY.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

After having to call in and being told something completely different every single time I called, mind you I also sat on hold for a minimum of 25 minutes each time I had to call, my issue still was not resolved and I was told that the only way to resolve it was to go to an actual branch. Well... the closest branch is over 4 hours away! I emailed in EVERYTHING that they asked for, even had them hold on the line while I emailed it to verify I had sent it. Poor, poor, customer service. Closed my account and lesson learned, I will take other people's reviews much more seriously when purchasing anything.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Has anyone else received a letter in the mail stating that their minimum payment would triple? Going from $230 per month to $700 per month without benefit of income verification, full disclosure of terms in accordance with the Truth in Lending Act (RegZ), not received a modification agreement, or missing large sums of payments? I paid 39 payments of $700 per month for a total of $27,000. My Home Equity Line balance Jan 2010 was $98,000. Now another forced modification 7 years later and my balance is $96,000 after having paid $27,000.

I am banker by profession. In 2010 I had an 800 beacon score. I did not earn enough to pay the illegally inflated payment amount so I exhausted my savings and retirement in the hope of protecting my credit history and my career. The derogatory reporting on my credit has destroyed my credit and my earning capability, the stress has affected my health and ruined my professional reputation.

I filed 2 complaints with the Florida State Department of Finance and 3 complaints with the Consumer Protection regarding the illegal modification, failure to verify income, failure to provide terms disclosure under Reg Z, and failure to provide a modification agreement in accordance with their Home Equity Line Agreement. The response from HSBC was a modification application each time. Both government agencies closed the complaints even though the complaints were addressed.

I applied for 3 modifications with HSBC who now used PHH Mortgage to administer the Home Equity Lines. I was denied for Too much income (according to the modification representative, my first mortgage was not legitimate debt). I have also been denied for Too little income although Wells Fargo had no issue with an agreeable modification with full disclosure. They also declined me for having no income following a stroke from overexposure to anesthesia. The program was designed for individuals who would receive Social Security Disability within the year. I received it a few months after denial.

There was recent pre-foreclosure that HSBC neglected to legally and serve me with. I found from a sketchy foreclosure service. My impression is after nearly for year in arrears, the season HSBC filed now was that they could potentially lose their Consumer Protection Bureau if you keep up the news regarding the potential dismantling of the CFPB. I contacted Congressman Alcee Hastings office who advised me to bring my documentation as they would help me as my rights had been violated. A few weeks later they told me to find an attorney. They could not help me.

A friend who was an investigator for the state of California where HSBC is licensed had an in process investigation of HSBC and were well aware that HSBC had illegally modified Home Equity Lines to force defaults packaging them together as Securities and were writing off the losses to offset the federal fines they had received for their lending practices in 2007 or 2008.

The Consumer Protection was not designed to protect consumers. It was designed to create an impasse/a wall between consumers and the banks to protect the banks from being held accountable for their illegal activities and prevent the degradation of the US financial system. A recent conversation with a supervisor at the CFPB lead to the disclosure that led to the disclosure that the CFPB does not become involved in arbitration of disputes unless they have multiple complaints about the same lender. I find it hard to believe that I am the sole complainant since the entire product line was modified in the same manner. Our right to class action suits was almost taken away under the current administration. Reality check: An individual has no power no matter what the constitution states. Only multiple combined voices can bring justice to those whose lives have been destroyed. Make noise!

At 56 years old, I have little hope of recovery from the damage to my credit history, loss of my retirement, a reduction in my annual earnings by half due the damage to my credit history preventing me from obtaining a position in my field at the level I had attained through 50 + hour work weeks, not to mention the destruction of my professional and personal reputation. In addition to the effect of the emotional duress affecting my health. Alone we are just white noise like on a television. Together we have hope of vindication, restitution, restoration of our names, credit, and earnings capability and so much more. TMI for some but truth is empowering the powerless!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I would give 0 star if I could. I wish I had believed all those 1 star reviews I read and didn't open an account with HSBC. If you value your precious time, please do not bank with HSBC in the US! Opening a checking online is not a good idea! You will not be serviced at the branch. Every banking activity will happen online or via the phone if you open the account online.

I opened an advanced account (which has higher balance and direct deposit requirements) and placed 3 orders for checking books. I still do not have my checkbook. I cannot pay rent or car loan. Yes there are still landlords and credit unions are difficult to set up electronic bill pay. It is always a pain in the ass to call them. I called 4 times to order checkbook and each call takes at least 30-60 min.

They claimed the online banking is more convenient or efficient but it is not! There is no confirmation for the conversation you had with the call center agent. I had to ask 4 times for a Manager till a manager finally took my call. In the first 3 times, the agent said "I will get you the manager", put me on hold, then came back and kept talking to me. And the agent repeat what she said till I got really annoyed and asked for a manager 4th time. I will withdraw my deposit and leave HSBC ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

If you want to pay to feel like garbage, feel free to join the banking of HSBC. My parents always used them growing up but I hated them. They were well off maybe that is why their review will be different than mine. I co-own a company in Canada and we have an account with HSBC Canada. It is the end of the year a customer in China needs to refund us our money since deal did not go through. We gave them to wiring information, (provided by HSBC) which only included corresponding bank swift code, it is Citibank citius33. They told me, “We don't need Canadian swift code or the address at all.” And that swift code can solve it. Of course, IT didn't it got refunded. Then I called in, the first person was decent, the second guy was the absolutely the most horrendous customer service call I received.

My husband heard me on the phone and asked who was trolling me. I called nicely and explained the situation, all I need to know was: 1) If the beneficiary bank is Citi like as they claimed it to be because it got refunded or does it go through Canadian HSBC, something didn't add up. 2) The client's accountant claimed she can't put Canadian zip code if zip code was absolutely needed. If so, who do I direct to.

I just needed to confirm beneficiary address, swift code, corresponding swift code and address instead I got 15 minutes of condescending tone. This guy not only did not answer yes or no to the question but rather challenged my ability to read instruction that they gave me. I gave that same instruction to the other company and it was rejected. But instead of helping me solve the issue, I had to listen to Regina George dissing my intelligence. Then I asked the second question about zip code, he did not believe it was not possible. So instead of finding a solution, this individual decided to question me why it is not possible. Am I the programmer who worked on wiring system for Bank of China? Or do am I the accountant? Instead of finding a way to help me like his supervisor did later, he decided to question problems on our end with very condescending tone.

We have put millions into this HSBC account and no one pay to be put up with this. I will be moving my account to another bank directly as a result of this incident. When I ask to report the supervisor was not helpful and told me I could only email generic repose. Also on personal account you will be lucky if a live person talk to you and not some call center in India, which I have trouble understanding some of them. Their accents are sometimes worst than the IRS phone call scammers in India. My dead mother's account was treated properly by them too except I never got to talk to a person in Canada.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I opened a savings account with HSBC over three weeks ago and requested to have my husband's name added to the account. As of today, his name has not been added despite repeated requests and follow-ups. I have never dealt with such incompetence; every time I used live chat, I got a different answered. When I calls them, I was promised repeatedly that his name will be added in 2-3 business days. HSBC is the worst experience I have ever had with any banks. Absolutely the WORST!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I opened a credit card account with HSBC last October which was surprising because I was never notified about the status of my application or when I was approved (first red flag with this bank) back then. When I read the terms and conditions, it said that the cash advance pin would be delivered 5-10 business days after the credit card has been received.

10 business days has passed and the said pin was nowhere to be found on my doorstep. I called customer service and was advised that they'll request another pin and I specifically asked to have it delivered to their main branch in BGC so I could just pick it up (since it would be much faster when you pick it up) to get it over with. So, 5 business days has passed and I went to the bank but the rep. told me that option is not available since I do not have a savings account (What?). I called customer service again and was advised that they'll have it delivered again. I waited and even sent an email and called after another 10 business days has passed but my cash advance pin was (which I just need to create an online account) still not delivered. What a load of lazy, untrained customer representatives!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I signed up for a account for HSBC bank for a basic checking account for my payroll. First off it took a entire three weeks to open the account because every time I submitted my info one of the workers would misplace it or my application was handed off to someone who wasn't the original person assisting with opening my account. Finally the account was opened and my payroll posted to the account. The first issue was I reached out to the bank to see how withdraws would work since I have no ATMs in my area. I was told how to go about using a different ATM and also that I had no max I could withdraw in a day. I went to the ATM to withdraw funds to pay my rent and received a response that I had a daily limit of $500. I contacted the bank and was told the previous rep was incorrect and to try to withdraw $500 instead, I questioned if it would matter withdrawing $500 and it being atm fees that would bring me over $500 and was told it was no issue.

I went back to the ATM and lo and behold rejected because of the max I could withdraw. The rep then told me find another way to pay my rent. So I went into a PLS to just use my debit card and get a money order that way but was told my card rejected. I called back to the bank, for the third time, and was told my debit card had a block on it but the department that handles it was closed on a Friday. I was told it would be fine to just do a electronic check from my account to my apartments in order to pay rent, which I did. I was then told Monday morning someone would give me a call in regards to the issue. Monday no call was received so Tuesday I contacted the bank to find out that my account was going through a closure process so my entire account was blocked.

No one would tell me why my account was going through a closure and on top of that was rent was returned to the account and I was told I couldn't access the funds and they would send a check on 7-10 bd from the date that my account was fully closed which could be at the latest Friday. I hadn't even had this account two weeks nor had I had any activity in the account except my payroll so I was puzzled as to why it was being closed. I was told over and over that they could not tell me why they were closing my account and was refused any contact info to file a formal complaint because I now have several past due bills and I can not pay them due to being refused access to my funds.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

My debit card was retained by a HSBC ATM when I tried to withdraw cash. I more than 20 minutes to see if it would return my card but it did not. This happened on a Saturday and as I was traveling I was only able to report the matter on the Monday. By that time 6 charges appeared on my card which did not belong to me that amounted to more than 13,000 pesos. The bank later only settled me with 5,000 pesos saying such was their policies for cases like mine. This seems very unfair to me since it was their machine that retained my card. I have tried on many occasions to present my case but they are indifferent to my complaints. Very poor customer service.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I was told I needed to keep my HSBC Advance account in order to maintain my RRSP's at this bank. I just never bothered to question this and so left $100 in this account. When I received notice that I would get charged a $25 fee/month, I decided to call up HSBC to close the account. I said, "Do I really need to keep this account open in order to maintain my RRSP's?" He did not know but said, "I don't think so..."

The fellow who answers the phone line (604)683-9611 mainly... told me I needed to go into the bank to close the account. I went into the account and one of the tellers (Monday Oct. 23rd, 3:30pm) was chatting with a customer for quite some time even though there was a line-up building. When she saw the line-up, she just looked at me, the first person in line and scowled! Ooohh my bad for bothering her conversation!

When I got help from my teller, he told me he could not close my account because a line of credit was still open that needed to be closed. I had to go home, call up HSBC and close that part. I went home, called the bank again and they were confused but did their part. They said I needed to go back to the bank yet again and close the account. I went back a 2nd time and spoke to the same teller. He was having trouble closing my account so called up his supervisor who helped him close my account. The supervisor certainly treated me as someone who only had $100 in their account. (Even if that were true, that was really not necessary to be judgmental like that.) Then I thought it was finally all good... and that my account was finally closed. But then I received a phone call from HSBC saying I needed to sign some forms right away and fax them back the documents or all agreements were cancelled and I was back to the same drawing board! Wowee!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

HSBC were my startup bank, 4 years ago, as business grew, HSBC worked well. Then a line was crossed. HSBC informed me that our accounts would be limited in weeks time: no money in (get paid) no money out (pay bills), ie, business-ending stuff. Some weakly worded questions were asked by email, responses were given, but not acknowledged. Chasing for status was crazy hard, phone the bank would could 'leave a message' for the Safeguard team. Utter joke. At this point, I was thinking it would all just go away, but as the time to lockdown approached, I had a stark realization: My business bank, HSBC, was the biggest threat to my company.

Mitigation was required, opening new business accounts in other banks (multi-banking), and finally, at the 30 day boundary, a final bank switch to a competitor bank with similar processes but 'people' I would be able to interact with. If you are business with international customers with growing sales, you should be very afraid of HSBC. they are not behind you, you are just a number with a "Risk" attached. Oh, their complaints process? Ha, every which way I complained (phone/email/web), for that, the only thing I got was a nice letter telling me how important the Safeguard process was for *me*. Oh, how I laughed.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I made a wire transfer on Aug 29, 2017 to my personal account in Malaysia with amount 31,252.83 USD, still the amount has not been wired into my personal account as of now Sep. 29, 2017, even I made several complaints against this case. I have conversation with more than 10 HSBC customer officers and all of them promised someone from higher management will give me a call, unfortunately, none of them have been committed their promises. I'm totally dissatisfaction with HSBC, of course, I will terminate my account upon recover my amount from HSBC.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

HSBC Canada internal staff in India illegally completed a transaction in my account, during the period of June 30 to July 18, 2017. I have gotten several different stories, as I have been stressed by the lack of customer service and correcting their own error, HSBC has been waiting for a reply from their department, why they hold my money hostage. I started to inquire about anyone else who may be experiencing the same and found a group of Canadians who are taking action against HSBC. My money and I want it all back!!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I banked with HSBC for many years, with a current account and previously a mortgage. In recent years their service became just terrible and with no response whatsoever to complaints. I had various problems: most notably they kept bouncing back inward TT's I made to my account from overseas, from various sources. With no explanation and no follow up. My account went to almost zero as I could not pay money in from overseas! Previously when I had tried to T.T, an amount from my Singapore account to an overseas account, the money was never received by my bank in England.

However my Singapore account remained debited for the T.T, amount in Singapore, and no-one from the bank informed me. It took a lot of effort just to get the debit amount credited again, and to cancel the bank charges they had levied on a non-existent transaction. Going to my branch to try to sort out these problems was a waste of time. You could never see the same person more than once, probably as a matter of policy. Trying to phone them left one in a confusion of extensions from which one just gives up in the end and puts the phone down.

Writing letters was no use, there was no reply to five different letters I wrote. Changing bank accounts after many years was a rather daunting process: so many direct debits to cancel and new ones to make etc. However I finally did it, opened up a current account with a local Singapore bank (UOB) and now life is a breeze. No banking problems, no arrogance from people who refuse to listen to your complaints.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I did the transaction on July 20, 2017 to Webjet for $3466.68, I cancelled on the same day and the amount was on my balance. I reported to the bank about the cancellation on 07/20/2017. Few days later I reported to the bank about the new charge on my credit card for $1155.56 at the same time the bank charge $3166.68, that moment I contacted on 07/ 28/2017 and HSBC they block my card not I was outside of the US and Webjet, they answered that both transaction will cancelled in 3 business days. The cancellation for $3,466.68 was disappeared from my account I was not able to use as evidence.

HSBC said that transaction never exist and Webjet said have to show documentations and HSBC instead to protected me asking me to provide the information to Webjet. I decide to make a complaint to consumer Agency and public on the social media on 08/17/2017 after frustrated conversation with both companies. That I feel the connection between both company. Jennet ** contacted me and sended the copy of the fixed the problem. But today still the same I can’t provide all documentation.

And HSBC AND WEBJET WORKING AS A PARTNER ORGANIZATION AND DON’T FOLLOW THE CUSTOMER SERVICES SUPPORT AS HAPPEN IN United States. From the first day I feel frustrated how the HSBC handle the situation. I feel that they want to makes financial profits, not only with my money with other customer. As economists I know they will fix, but they doing money and I have the charges, losses times and getting sick of this situation. I have all documents by email.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

In June my life insurance policy matured after 10 years. I decided to surrender my policy to get the cash value. I sent off my form early, expecting to get my money in 2 to 3 weeks. Nine weeks later I still have not received anything. In late July the bank after long delays claimed to have sent my money. A week later HSBC USA, the bank through which my money was passing, contacted me through HSBC saying they had not received my wife's details (it was being sent to a joint account) even though I had provided this earlier.

Finally HSBC USA sent it my NZ bank's correspondent bank, BNY Mellon. I contacted BNY Mellon and they told me the funds were being held for review by the OF AS AS. HSBC HK had not provided them with all the necessary details. BNY told me that HSBC HK needed to query them about the payment. I contacted HSBC HK and they told me that they had been trying to do so, but with no luck. I do not believe HSBC HK. I have complained to HKMA. Every time I call HSBC HK I never get an answer. It is a month tomorrow since my money left Hong Kong. I have tried everything.

Original review: June 23, 2017

@HSBC_US worst service ever. I applied through HSBC for Mortgage and it took them over two months to provide me a rejection letter. I had to call them several times to get an update on my account. They kept spamming my email and asking me every two weeks that If I'm still interested in working with them. I emailed my representative Maria ** two times and she did not reply back to my email. I have applied for the mortgage through RBC and I got the pre-approval letter for a mortgage of $650,000 within a week with a rate of 3.87. I will never do any business with HSBC and also please check the reviews of HSBC on another website which shows how bad they treat customers.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I called and got payoff amount for example to make this easy to understand - it was $2000.00. I paid online the amount, yet a month later they auto debited my bank account for some invisible $19.00, only it took what was the original full amount of our payment of $150.00 and we now have to wait up to two weeks for our refund of the $150.00 MINUS the $19.00 fee that by the way cannot be found ANYWHERE online and I have screenshots to prove a ZERO balance as of 5 days ago still which is 17 days AFTER the payoff, yet they took the money last night. This caused us to overdraw our account and now we have negative money for 2 weeks until payday again and all they can do is tell us it takes 14 business days to process our return of a PARTIAL credit. This has got to be illegal! Regardless, bad reviews are coming on every site I can find, email every city and state official and via word of mouth to shut down these loan offices in Virginia.

Original review: May 17, 2017

On dated 15 May 2017, I wrote an email to HSBC and sadly till now no one responding it. Maybe the officer are look down on us as customer. Here are the email I wrote and address the email to Ms Salmah **: Dear Ms Salmah **, During last conversation with you, you did informed me that my card cannot be used and also had been cancelled although I had paid all the outstanding bills. She strongly says that if I wanted to use again I need to re-apply and application may not be approved by the committee. Though I did mentioned to her that I need to use the card badly as I stationed in oversea and she still say NO.

From that onwards - I feel bad and inform my working colleagues and friends what had happened and 2 of friends says to me not to take any service from HSBC as they had faced similiar problem. Recently to my shock, my wife called me and informed me that the HSBC bank are penalty me for not paying outstanding amount (admin fees) SGD $2,75 and now I also need to pay penalty fees. It really ridiculous. HSBC had cancel my card and I not cancel my card. During my last payment I also ask and inform the counter that I need to pay ALL the outstanding debt and now the HSBC bank say I got outstanding bill??? I confused. I demand an explanation. Thank you.

Original review: May 5, 2017

HSBC has the worst customer service of all bank out there. I am a premier customer yet the type of service I am getting is horrible even for a regular customer, let alone premier. I have sent message online to customer service to complain & asked that my premier relationship manager to contact me - no feedback nor response whatsoever. If I have option to give 1/2 a star for this review I would. I am going to transfer my $ out of HSBC & do not wish to do business with HSBC anymore. Stay away from this bank.

Original review: April 25, 2017

So I have been a customer of HSBC for approx. 1 year in Australia. I work overseas and get paid in US dollars, hence I have US dollar account with HSBC in Australia where my money is deposited. For 12 months my pay has gone into my account with no issues, on my last monthly deposit - disaster struck. For some reason using the same account details that have always been used, HSBC declined the pay - account number wrong/name wrong. As such they have charged US120 and returned the funds through Swift to my employer. Enquiries with HSBC after numerous phone calls finally ascertained that my employer had placed my BSB number after my account number which is why it was rejected. Considering this had been accepted for 12 times previously I was a bit bemused, however my employer accepted the fee and redirected my pay into my account with the BSB number now at the front.

Several days later I checked my account and the funds had been placed into it, but it was short approx. US700. Trying to get hold of HSBC was impossible, no response through emails, customer service on phone were no help at all, so I went through my employees route and of course it was all down to HSBC. Swift were fine. HSBC, for some reason they decided to convert my money from US back to AUS, then they have reconverted back to US and placed into my account with the fees removed. Obviously I have been charged for these conversions, which is totally unnecessary as I have a US account.

As I work overseas there is no branch to attend to, no one can respond to my emails sent to customer service (emailed 6 times - each response is I will contact in 48 hrs - nor response), no one can answer my questions over the telephone line which is expensive, and very difficult to understand operator. I ask for supervisor and they say they will call back - never get any call backs. Where do I go from here, this totally insane and frustrating. Any comments would be appreciated.

Original review: April 22, 2017

My partner and I decided to buy an apartment in HK and we made a deposit. A month ago he transferred 600000 HKD (around 50000 USD) from his OWN Swedish Bank account to his OWN HSBC account in Hong Kong. Whilst the Swedish Bank has informed that the money has successfully transferred out, for 4 weeks he did not receive anything in his HSBC account. No one has ever contacted him. He called the hotline in a daily basis, many staff promised to get back to him but there was no news.

He went to the branch today and only when he threatened to call the police, he was allowed to speak to the Assistant Branch Manager, which, he said he could not contact the transfer department. So there was nothing he can do. We filed a case in the police with the missing money, and informed HSBC by calling the hotline (again!) telling them that we do need someone senior to sort out as the case has been escalated. Once again, they said that they will call back.

We already filed a case to Hong Kong Monetary Authority as keeping customers' notably sum of money without a reason should fail the bank regulatory standard. It is our life saving and at most, we are only allowed to contact junior staff. The customer service is appalling and they really don't care. Not to mention our penalty fee for us not able to pay the final payment of the house. Being a Hong Kong citizen, I am ashamed of the bank (which called themselves a " HK local bank"). And to this date, we still don't know if anyone do care to help us trace the money. We are really sad.

Original review: April 21, 2017

I had a small business in Malta and had banked with HSBC for over 8 years... Suddenly they sent a letter that they were closing my account and refused to overturn their decision when I pointed out to them that this would have serious consequences for my business. They since declined transfers and receipts, However an old customer sent funds in error to that HSBC closed account rather than my alternative account.

They have not credited any account and also have not returned the funds to the originator of this transfer. I have emailed customer services but from past experience, they just bury their heads in the sand. No reply so far, the MFSA has set up an arbitrator. But in my view this is no more than an extension of the banks, thinking of going to the police to report HSBC as this is just no more than theft and fraud.

Original review: April 15, 2017

After 20 years, I have decided to leave HSBC. I have had nothing but grief for the last couple of years. Blocking my card continuously for no reason, not being able to get cash out of local ATMs, not being able to do online shopping with companies I have shopped with for 5+ years. Calling them to tell them I'm going abroad, only to find my card blocked, when trying to pay in said country/city.

And the never-ending calls, that have cost me a fortune (last call was over an hour, and nothing NOTHING was resolved. They offered me 33 GBP compensation for my 2 years of calling them and complaining about ** that should have never happened - I felt absolutely insulted). Only to have everything above mentioned happen over and over and over again, every couple of months. I am completely exhausted, disgusted and repulsed by their customer service, care and attitude. There are so many better option out there. Bye, bye HSBC. Go torture somebody else, I quit.

Original review: April 10, 2017

It was seriously worth it to take the time to write this review and I would particularly warn new customers intending to open an account with HSBC. I'm employed by an overseas oil company, so all I needed is a bank account in the UK. After three years, I say with a big disappointment that HSBC staff are poorly trained and cannot handle simple issues. If you call, you will need to spend over an hour on the phone before they tell you that they cannot help you and that you need to visit a branch. And, if you think the branch is going to be better, you are absolutely wrong!

There are many big problems, although I needed the bank on a few occasions, but every time it is dramatic and ridiculous. HSBC staff always lie to you or misinform you. And then if you move to talk to their supervisors, you just see how helpless they are, and about simple things like getting a contactless card, stamped statements, account upgrading, updating information, charges overseas... etc. HSBC customer service is pathetic.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I have been with HSBC for more than 25 year (living in Asia, the US and Australia). I have used all their facilities, FX accounts, home loans, etc. They are so disconnected from their customer, me. As an aside, they have blocked my debit card 5 times in the last 60 days as they were concerned about 'suspicious transactions'... all made to local stores who I have used my card for the past ten years. I have had to replace my debit card twice this year as I have been advised it had been compromised? I am also with Westpac, for 5 years, none of these dramas.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I decided to cancel 2 active credit cards with HSBC last September and told HSBC not to issue any new cards because I was done dealing with their poor customer service and didn't want any future service with them. The cards were canceled and I paid the balances in full for both cards and thought I was done with HSBC. Well, surprise, I'm not done, they issued 2 new credit card numbers for both of the canceled cards, without my knowledge or permission. They also allowed charges to be placed on those cards that I specifically told them not to reissue. They allowed merchants who were never given the new credit card number to charge against the card.

I have been calling and wasting time on the phone with them regularly since September to rectify this and have had no luck. Their customer service is so poor, there is usually a language barrier with the person trying to work with me. Hours on the phone have solved none of my problems. Canceling credit cards and stating no new cards are authorized by me, means no new credit cards, they do not understand this?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

As a business we work with 6 banks. HSBC has been the worst performer for years. We are today finally throwing the towel in at in the UK. We were asked to fill in a form we could not download from the internet. The inability to download the form, and the inability of the data system that records telephone calls to work, led to the closure of our Euro account for no apparent reason. Following a telephone interview of which HSBC have no trace, which I find quite incredible, which took place only a few weeks ago that they organised, despite apparently complying to all HSBC asked of us, and being told the account would stay open, it vanished along with the proceeds.

HSBC sold our Euros at an uncompetitive rate, and placed them in our Sterling account. Then told us they would be closing the other accounts in due course. Anyone's guess when as nobody has any trace of that either! Client communication is terrible at very best. We are not a small group. The holding company, a private PLC, has 11 companies. Group sales exceed 500M. Although we only confide one small business to HSBC UK, thank god for that I am thinking, because I could not imagine trusting them with any more. I have had a meeting with HSBC Paris at their very swanky Champs Elysee office at Corporate level with a view to a partnership only two weeks ago.

My point is here when you see what the top brass at HSBC get paid to run a show like this. I am an HSBC premier client by the way, not that that made any difference anyway. Improving customer service does not seem high on the agenda. Making money is the only thing that counts but when customer service is this poor you end up losing money also. Global Banking is there for the taking. In the coming years I just hope that some faces will appear and the return of personal account managers for smaller businesses who I am sure will pay a premium for real service. Stuart Gulliver the boss has a home near my home in France. I will stop by if I see him having a coffee in the Square in Aubeterre Charente and offer maybe to review the whole procedure. I wonder if he knows how bad HSBC service levels have become. I wonder if the people responsible would keep their jobs if he knew.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

I have had a small business acct with HSBC for almost 15 years. For the most part their customer service is horrendous, their online banking is a nightmare and the actual experience in the bank is one teller is working and 2-3 others are pretending to be doing other things. After all the years with HSBC their small business policy changed to a minimum of 5 million deposited per year. So this week they closed my account without my knowledge or approval. One day there was 20K in the account and the next day it was 5K overdrawn because they pulled all the money out and closed it. However even though they closed the account they still allowed checks to bounce and autopays to be denied and then charged me fees.

Now they are holding the money and will not return it to me until they are satisfied that the fees are paid for the bounced checks caused by their actions. My small business is in critical condition because they are holding the money and several online deposits that were accepted after they closed the account. I have had apologies from the desk officers at the bank but I am told that this is a new policy and the back office cannot help me at all. I really believe I have a possible lawsuit and would like to hear from other customers with similar experiences.

HSBC Company Information

www.us.hsbc.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use