H&R Block

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After several unsuccessful attempts to log in to my account for free filing (which I have done for many years) I took up the suggestion that H&R Block would file the 1040EZ for free. I have only filed the same tax return for the last several years (1040EZ). I made an appointment to the local office here in Kissimmee. The tax preparer compiled my return and for some unknown reason put a $20 earned income credit on the return. Once the return was completed she informed me that I owed H&R Block $50 for the filing. She told me that the $20 credit took me out of the free return. I asked her to remove the tax credit and she told me that her computer would not do it, so I owed the $50. I have NEVER filed for a EITC. She also informed me that I could not get my paperwork back until I paid the $50.

Free is apparently not free at H&R Block and I feel cheated by the preparer and deceived by the TV commercials. I have not after much searching found a way to lodge this complaint with H&R Block directly. I am at a loss as to what I can do to: get all of my personal tax documents back and be relieved of the $50 charge. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Me & my husband filed our taxes at H&R Block in Summersville WV on Jan 20, 2017. They said the state hadn't started taking returns yet & when they did they would file them. After waiting about 4 weeks I check the site to check the status. It says no records at this time so I waited 2 more weeks. Same thing so I called H&R Block to see what was going on. I was told they would call me back but they didn't so I called again. Same thing call me back. Finally 3 days later they tell I have to wait the full 8 weeks before they can tell me anything. Well needless to say we are going on 9 weeks & all they can say is there's a glitch in the e-file system & there's 5 or 6 others this is happening to & they keep saying they are working on it & the site to check. The status still says no record!

I feel like I'm not getting the exact reasoning for this & when I ask when I would get my fees back since they messed something up they say they are working on it! I MEAN REALLY HOW LONG IS IT GONNA TAKE? THEY BEEN WORKING ON IT FOR LIKE 3 WEEKS NOW. Hello I think they need to give me some answers & get my fees $ back to me like yesterday! I have been a customer there for 16 years & this will definitely be my last! H&R Block you need to get your crap together & get me my money!!!

I've had my taxes prepared and filed by H&R Block for many years. I am elderly, and physically disabled. On March 13, 2017, the tax preparer at the 567 Golden Gate Avenue office in San Francisco suggested I use my debit card to pay for my taxes, even though I had pulled out a check from my wallet, and placed it on his desk. I informed the preparer that I wanted to pay the entire amount that same day, and had more than enough funds in my account. I told him H&R Block normally processes an electronic payment via my check; either that, or, they give me pre-addressed envelopes for the State Franchise Tax Board and the IRS for me to mail with my check later. Taxes are not due until April 18.

He acted confused by this information, and suggested I use a debit card. He did not disclose to me that my debit card could be run either as a debit or a credit card (he only mentioned debit), or, that my card would go through a third party payment processing company (payUSA tax), or, that the third party company levies fees on the card. It turned out these fees are $2.68 for a debit card, or 1.9 percent of the total amount owed the IRS for a credit card. He never discussed with me running my card as a credit card, and I never gave any permission for this whatsoever. Nor did I even realize that this was a possibility. He never discussed or showed me any paperwork about any fees associated with allowing H&R Block to use my debit card to submit my payment to the IRS. When he submitted my debit card, he submitted it as a credit card, not a debit card. This tacked a whopping $343.04 "convenience charge" onto my tax bill.

Without my authorization, the bill went from $17,325 to $17,668.04 in a matter of a few seconds. I was shocked and upset, and immediately demanded that this unauthorized "convenience fee" be blocked. He said it was too late. The IRS already had my $17,668.04. I then asked H&R Block to refund it. The area manager would not allow this. What followed was an exhausting, futile 5 and a half hours which I was forced to spend in the H&R Block offices attempting to get my bank to remove the charge by phone, attempting to get through to the IRS to block the charge, and attempting to get H&R Block to honor their infamous "Peace of Mind" agreement, and refund my money which was lost as a result of their error.

I even went to the bank in person with the H&R office manager late in the day to plead my case. At that point, feeling so confused, fatigued, and weak that I could not think straight, and the office manager had to do most of the talking for me. The tax preparer who submitted my debit card first acted shocked when he saw the huge surcharge. Minutes later, he admitted that he had heard that this same thing happened to a customer in the branch a year earlier. He said that person lost $500 plus, spent many weeks haggling to try to get the money refunded, but he didn't know if it ever was refunded?

My bank (Chase) is investigating whether or not to take this charge off my account. It has not yet agreed to permanently remove this overcharge. The state owes me a $700 plus refund on my state tax return this year. Unbelievably, after subjecting me to a day of hell in their office, with more hassles yet to come as I continue to deal with my bank over this, the H&R Block area manager demanded that I pay my tax preparation fee upfront, or they would not submit my completed state tax return, even though I had just been robbed of $343 due to H&R Block's action. They have still not submitted my state return. More frustrating talks with rude, unbelievably arrogant and condescending male H&R Block employees followed during the week, each one of these calls leaving me even more upset and shaken up.

I have asked the district manager of H&R Block to refund the undisclosed $343.04 surcharge which they owe me, and to do my taxes for free this year, given the torment I've been subjected to. He refuses to take responsibility, is trying to say H&R Block did not put me under stress that day, and is even trying to partly blame me for the bogus use of my debit card as a credit card which incurred these huge "convenience" fees. At one point, he told me he was from the "corporate" level of the company which is not true. I will now have to file a customer complaint with the real corporate H&R Block office in Kansas City to get this matter bumped up to the corporate level due to the lack of cooperation locally and regionally.

I have already spent precious hours of my personal time filing a Yelp review, Better Business Bureau complaint, and Federal Trade Commission complaint to try to get this resolved, and to hopefully help prevent other customers from unknowingly being hit with hidden, unauthorized charges which H&R Block won't refund. I have written proof of this interaction (receipt) which I am happy to show any investigatory agency. But, for obvious security reasons, I will not include it online since it involves my personal tax return.

I think this matter needs to be investigated as it was deceptive, and H&R Block has not acted with integrity to honor their highly publicized commitments to the public. It may be part of a wider problem, or even some type of sham or kickback scheme, or it may have been a simple mistake? I don't know. But, given H&R Block's inappropriate handling of my complaint thus far, and their history, I am highly suspicious. In 2009, the Ca. State Attorney General resolved a multimillion dollar lawsuit against H&R Block for unsavory business practices.

HR Block: "If you have a 1040EZ, 1040A or 1040 with Schedule A – you'll pay nothing when you file online." Lies. Big fat lies. For example, try to claim energy credit, form 1040 - just one credit, for supposedly "free" form - and you must become a paying customer right away in order to be able to make that one click! How come?? I didn't need/asked for "guidance," or "deluxe" service - I knew what and how to file, I was just misled that it was "free"! Disgusting.

H&R Block screwed up our taxes so bad we now owe the IRS $1700, They admittedly filed the taxes wrong. When the IRS got them they sent a letter that they were wrong and a tax bill for roughly $1700. The people at the H&R Block store thought it was a big joke and talked and gossiped about incompetent the girl that did the taxes was. If the Taxes had been filed correctly nothing would be owed. I consulted an attorney and he said that there is nothing that we can do that even though they were wrong the IRS looks at it as it is our responsibility to know. On top of doing them wrong they charged $609. Even the lawyer I talked to said "WHAT!!! That outrageous". They offered to refund $100 since they were wrong. Do not go to them. They are immoral unethical and don't care.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

I had some questions on a tax preparation done there. I called and ask to speak with Anna. When I spoke with her wow this woman was very rude and arrogant. Her business card labels her as a master tax adviser. I think her title went to her head too much. I had referred my son there and I was thinking of referring some other people there, but with this experience I changed my mind and Anna can stay with all her 15 years rude and arrogant experience.

I thought H&R Block would be a good change, but instead I received terrible customer service. i.e told to wait twenty minutes turns into a hour. Tax guy then asks Google and other employees how to input the rent. In the end they charged $146 for work that originally costs only $50 at other tax locations. In the end I only got $160 back.

The Tax specialists that we have dealt with this year were the most clueless rude and unprofessional we have ever had to deal with in our five years using this company. We had to amend our taxes due to the incompetence of the Tax specialist we had. She then tried to say it was our fault that she filed the wrong paperwork, that is our daughter's college deductions. We complained to the manager who was rude unresponsive to phone calls and just evil. H&R claims was worse! They run you around for weeks and then tell you that they can do nothing to rectify their mistake and do not give refunds for their specialist's mistakes!!! We will never use them again. Do yourself a favor and use anyone else but H&R they are one of the most expensive and least professional companies out there!

If I could give less than one star I would! I went to H&R because it was closer than my last tax preparer. Before making my appointment I checked online to see what it would cost and at the high range it said $125. I went in with all my papers... including my deductions. She never even went through my paperwork to make sure my addition was correct; just took my number at face value. I was there for an hour longer than I was supposed to be because she kept getting interrupted by a co-worker as well as getting confused in what she was doing with my taxes. At the end of the service she saw the price and kept saying "Wow, that's high. Why is it so high? " They charged me $520 AFTER TAKING OFF $100!

I called to complain the next day... was sent into an investigation. I called back the next day after receiving an email saying it was settled; they apparently told the headquarters that they called and had me come in... LIE! So he sent me to the regional manager. He called me and told me that it was the correct amount and that it's competitively priced!!! What a joke! I have never NEVER paid more than $120!!! I'm absolutely disgusted!!! NEVER GO TO H&R Block!!! What a rip-off!!!

I have done my taxes here for the last two years in which both times Gail ** screw up. Last year was too late to have her fix her mistake (tax season was over). I was stupid enough to go back this year, she give me attitude saying she wasn't going to argue. I was like "Who's arguing? Just fix the problem." She has to do an amendment (I lost over 1,000 because of her) and I guess she wanted more money on top of the 622.95 I already paid. Gosh she is so stupid and incompetent!

Hello. I just wanted to follow up on my status. I'm not asking for $10,000 or taking H&R Block to small claim court. What I want is the $5,000 from your Peace of Mind program. I don't feel I have been treated fairly by the H&R Block office. They did my taxes is 2014 and told me all was well. About a year later I decided that I would have them checked at a cost of $3000.00. The result was the taxes were not done correctly and instead of me owing money, the IRS owed me a considerable refund.

Once I had my new CPA team resubmit the taxes I received a refund from the state and now must pay for an audit from the IRS. H&R block returned the amount to do my refund, but did not give me the $5000 from the Peace of Mind that I paid for. I'm a disabled unemployed veteran and want to be treated fairly. My only recourse is to make sure anyone that uses this office knows what happened to me. I plan passing out a note to at least 20 cars a day until the tax season is over. I also plan on created a blog about my experience with H&R Block.

My grandson used your services this year for his tax refund. He first got your card and then he tried to use. The 5 businesses would not take your card so he called to have him sent a check. Guess what! We tried 10 different banks cash and go and no would take your check. So we cannot get our money. We went to an H&R Block office and they would not help. They almost said to us that we printed the check and refused to help in any way. H&R Block they were not helpful in any way. Almost rude. They told us that they do not give checks out. WELL WE HAVE ONE AND NO ONE WILL CASH IT! WHAT CAN WE DO???

Do not use H&R Block! They charged me over $500 to do my taxes and said I would get their $1250 refund advance, which is the only reason we went with them. We did not get the advance and they won't say why. The IRS and state have sent the funds to H&R Block to be loaded on their emerald card. An H&R Block customer service representative just told me that they are going to release the funds on March 20th. I asked why they are holding the funds and I got hung up on. I read that they do this to gain interest of people's refunds. The whole thing is a joke and will never use them again!

Have went there 4 years in a row. So far all advertising has been false, they always have an excuse. And even with a simple form it has cost over 250 bucks. Went to CPA yesterday 35 bucks. And we got a whole lot more money than H&R Block. I will NEVER go back.

I got a letter from the IRS stating I owed them $3,000. Needless to say I was shocked. I have been going to H&R Block since 2001. I went to the office and showed them the letter, the one lady sat me down and showed me where THEY made the mistake. I felt they should pay because they were at fault. And if only would have bought their $40 peace of mind product, they would have taken care of it. A total ripoff. I got absolutely no help except they are insisting I have to pay the $3000. The manager was rude and basically told me there was nothing I could do about it. They said they are going to get a person from their office to call the IRS to set me up on a payment plan!!! They did refund the outrageous amount of $302 they charged me to do my taxes. I am at my wit's end. I don't know how a big corporation like this can make such a big mistake and not be liable.

I went to H&R Block to have my taxes done. Everything was fine but the following day I got a call from the young lady that had done my taxes. She informed me that someone had used my SS number and the IRS rejected my taxes. I had to make a copy of my driver's license and SS card. Had to fill out some more papers and mail them off to the right people. Also I had to file a police report. I also had to change the money to go to my bank account to a Green Dot card.

The next day I was looking over my tax papers and discovered my SS number was put in wrong. Went back to H&R Block to let them know what I had found. She went back in to my file and changed the SS number to the right number. My first Green Dot card was linked to the wrong SS number. So I suggested I would need a different Green Dot card for my right SS number. So they canceled my first card and my second card was activated. My taxes came in but to the first card.

Went back up to the H&R Block and let them know what was going on. I finally had to call the number on back of the card and explain again to the guy what was going on. Finally I got the money to go to the second card after taking time out of work to get it right. Now I have to wait 1 to 5 extra days to get my money. I will never go to H&R Block again. It has been a headache. Always check your SS number and make sure it is typed in right.

I had my 2015 & 2016 Taxes prepaid at the H&R Block Metro Center in Fullerton California. My Tax preparers name was Patricia ** (86 years old). They said my state return was going to be free for 2016. They didn't tell me there is a 34.95 charge for this. THAT IS NOT FREE!!! Very Misleading. My 2015 return had to be mailed in, Pat said she would prepare everything, she even put it in the envelope sealed it and told me all I need to do is put a stamp on it and take it to the post office. That's exactly what I did. Two weeks later the letter came back to me. She put my copies (Clients Copies) in the envelope and did not have me sign the return. I had to sign it and send it back. I filed January 19th. I still have not received my 2015 state return, due to the incompetence of H&R Block's Tax Preparer.

I called H&R Block to see if I could get a refund and explained what happened. The receptionist didn't know anything, so I spoke with the manager. She was very sorry... until I asked for some compensation due to their mistake. Patricia ** (incompetent tax preparer) called me back, her exact words were "you didn't know you were supposed to sign your tax return". I told her, I paid her to make sure everything was done right, plus she sealed the envelope, LOL!!! She became annoyed and was not going to make it right or admit that she made a mistake. All my friends & family told me not to go there... but it was convenient for me at the time. I have learned my lesson!!! The funny part is had they made it right... I probably would have gone back.

They charged us almost $450 on a $32,000 income for 2016 income tax. It was so high my bank flagged it and shut off our card for fear of fraud. They charged us for each individual category for child credit, house, student loan, federal, and state box.

IRS issued my refund on March 7. I filed H&R Block online for direct deposit to my bank account. However, H&R Block sent me an email saying it will take 3-5 days even more before I get my refund from them. They also told me not to spend my own money yet. I called them to get my refund now. The representatives hung up on me twice. Third time around, the rep told me H&R sent check by mail instead of direct deposit. I asked when did they send and when is anticipated delivery date. When I asked why can't H&R direct deposit my money, the rep said she did not know. When I asked did H&R mailed my check via express or regular mail, the rep said she did not know either. She told me to talk to postman, because my postman will know how long it takes to deliver mail. What??? I have been H&R Block consumer for many years, but will definitely not use them anymore next year!!!

I have been using H&R for years with my military background and was a very easy to use site most of the time. This year H&R decided to start charging for the same taxes I was doing for free, but they tell you about these options is at the end of you inputting all your data. This is terrible, tell me all the costs up front. Now that they have all of my tax returns they hold that over your head.

I viewed the commercial H&R Block has for "free" tax prep via their website. Once you are in there completing your taxes they want to charge you for forms. I didn't mind upgrading to a tax professional as it was my first time but little did I know that their 24-48 hr window is way off. A week and a half goes by and I still didn't hear from anybody regarding my return! They reassigned me to 2 different, so-called professionals who ignore your calls and emails. Reputable company just went down the drain. I will not be going back there.

For the love of God avoid this place! It's the second time I run into incompetent people who don't have the knowledge on how to and serve the people, asking Google when you're supposed to be "trained," seriously?! Apart from asking personal questions that have nothing to do with taxes, avoid the branch on Fuqua Houston TX unless you want to be judged, made fun and pay 250, no people should feel as embarrassed and irritated as I was. I just wanted to get out and cry, just because I'm Hispanic doesn't mean I speak Spanish or that I want for a "tax representative" to ask me personal questions about my life. I went there because I needed help, not to be bashed.

I had an appointment setup for 2 weeks. I get to the appointment. But, a couple of days prior the rep's husband gets sick, but H&R Block on 31st in Prospect KCMO did not call to inform me. So, I get a new lady who does the taxes. I get a very low figure of return back. I thought it was odd. But I am like this is H&R Block, the best, no mistakes could be made. She didn't even tell me that I needed to mail forms back. It's been close to 1 month and have not gotten taxes back. Why? Because this incompetent lady did not include my ObamaCare? Now I got to wait for a letter from the IRS and redo taxes that will delay things even more. After this I will not be going back to them.

We received a promo rate last year as new customers. It was $100. When our taxes were done this year basically the same info we were charged $285. While I thought it could be $200 I was very unhappy when I learned it was $285. That is far more than a 100% increase. Needless to say I will not be using H&R Block ever again and I will tell anyone that asks not to use them. They have most definitely lost my business.

I have been using this service for years now and always wondered why the fees were so ridiculously high. I filed this year with another service online and paid a little over $120 for the service. H&R Block charged me $458.45 last year and my income was low due to losing work. I'm satisfied with my preparer but not satisfied with almost $500 taken from my children's mouth when I could have done them myself because my situation is not complicated and didn't require much extra work.

For being in and out of the office seems that you guys should be charging WAY less to single mothers who lost income, only 1 W-2G to process and a few dependents. How does this equal almost $500 in fees? I checked my other returns and they were WAY more outrageous. I would like some of my hard-earned money back and wish someone would have told me to do them myself instead. I had mine done on my mobile in less than an hr, paid hardly anything and it was less of a headache. I am very disappointed, oh and I had to amend my return because my ex claimed my kids which cost me another couple hundred!

I recently went there to get a second look on my Taxes. As soon as I arrived the front desk lady was polite but this lady Anita ** interrupted me and said "we can't help you if your Taxes haven't been filed". I said "yes they have I just want a second look and the receptionist said it's Free correct." She said "yes come with me." Once we get there she starts monn and grown in and says "go back to the Tax lady that you did them with. We can't help you. It's not my job to explain anything to you." I said "I thought you did a Free service and review them." She then said "No it's not Free, my time is not Free." I said "wow well don't lie to people telling them is Free if you're too lazy to look over my taxes!" I was then irritated by her rudeness I only took 5 min or less before I left. Avoid going to El Cajon Blvd H&R Block and avoid the Ugly Fossil lady by the last name **!!! Rude will never return!!!

Very unprofessional, do not know their job, just making money. They take money on time but filing the tax Very late. They don't care what you suffer from them. I will never go to them again. Charging huge money for regular tax and not processing it on time. Even charging more for the so-called peace of mind and eventually you are losing your peace of mind doing business with them. Even manager has several lame excuses for not being professional.

I had my taxes done and was told I would get $1,020 refund Less than two weeks. I did receive it. Then I find out they entered my work retirement amount instead of the amount I paid into health insurance and I was only due $377.00. Unfortunately I had used the money to pay bills. So they do an amended tax and I now owe IRS $643. I only make minimum wage and barely make ends meet as it is. I think they should have to pay for their mistake. I caught a second error on the amended form being sent to the IRS. I'm still waiting on the preparer free to be returned since they had a free EZ service this year and could have been done on that form. Bet I have to fight to get that $200 back.

I am a UK citizen on a two-year work permit in Canada. I have been in Canada for one year approximately and went to H&R block to file my taxes and am still seething from the experience! It was in no way simple, but was made into an overly complicated experience delivered by an employee who seemed unsure of what she was doing.

I work in the Downtown core and went to the H&R on university and Wellington. I explained numerous times that I only had one hour as I had to get back to work and was told that it would not take longer. I was in there for 1.5 hours only after I decided to leave! The whole process should have been simple. I have only T4's as am still setting up home in Toronto so my financial history is pretty simple. Yet nothing was explained clearly and I was informed that even though I am not a resident of Canada I was being filed under 'resident status' why I am still not sure, as the woman who filed my return could not even properly explain it to me herself! She dragged everything out in the longest way possible and could not answer any of my questions clearly OR explain anything properly!

She left out details, kept having to check with her colleague that what she was doing was correct and seemed annoyed that I was not engaging in conversation with her! (I was working from my phone). Overall my experience was extremely dissatisfying and hugely unprofessional and I would highly recommend anyone who is considering using H&R Block to file your return to look elsewhere. I am not confident that they even filed my accurately which makes my first Canadian tax filing experience an absolute nightmare! Thank You H&R block for absolutely nothing!!!

I had to use H&R block last year after my usual guy wasn't available, whom faithfully charged $80. H&R charged me $275.00!!! After sitting in this lady's office for 4hrs, her having to call her help hotline several times due to computer issues. Then constantly asking other staff how to use computer. Then tells me the reason for the high price is because I have a complicated return. REALLY! I'm a single person, 2 dependents. With 4 pieces of paper. Which consisted of 1 T4, 2 receipts for kids' activities, and one copy of nursing license. That's it, no expenses, no rent, no mutual funds, no write offs. I will never use them again.

Compare Tax Software and Services