H.Kent Hollins Attorney

Topeka, KS

Compare Legal Services

Research top Legal Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

To be honest I find this process very distasteful. We know scanners are in every field including legal but the fact that the court system is allowing this to continue. I got notice of a debt almost 10 years old. Never heard of, not even sure is mine - actually highly doubt it. But seeing from all this talk we need to do something. I suggest we make legal noise: ** They seemingly don't much but make contact but they do create a database that can be helpful. Being how locally it is getting a blind eye nationally we can draw attention to it. Also ** - Contacting the governor's office and social media sites - Can bring attention to this crazy practice Hollins is getting away with.

I had received numerous court fines due to a typographical error. I didn't get them paid fast enough so they were sent to Hollins for collection. I have been making payments every month of 20.00 for almost two years now and every month my balance goes up after the payment is made. I live on disability and help take care of my mother and sister as well as my children and grandchildren. I don't understand how he can get away with charging Loan Shark interest rates. There's a law that a person must perform a service for you to charge you interest on money owed. He has never done any type of service for me - he is doing it for the court.

So how can he charge these ridiculous rates and how is the questionable bill ever going to get paid off the practices of this and most other collection companies are no less than mafia hit man type practices on bills that are questionable to begin with. What's a person to do? How do we fight these injustices can we ever win? What happened to our civil/constitutional rights? I was never served any papers about court hearings or a bill owing as he sent the summons to my old address where my ex's new girlfriend signed my name to the certified letter then must have thrown it away. Since I did not appear in court judgement was found against me For a ridiculous amount and am being drug 50 miles one way to go to court and make a payment every month I pay in person and get a printed receipt with a balance owing since they tend to lose payments frequently.

I had a gym membership. They said I could cancel with military orders. When I PCSed I gave them my orders. They hired this guy. I lived at the same address in El Paso for seven years. They served me at an address I didn't live at, sued me while I was deployed to Iraq. 10 years later they garnish my bank account. The messed up thing is the 7 years in El Paso. I never heard from them except once, back in 2006 before they served me at an address I didn't live at. Dirty. They called a year ago and when I talked to them they said send them a copy of my gym contract.

As far as I'm concerned, the court they filed the lawsuit against me needs it not them. So I sent it to my sister in law. She took it to the court house and they had no record of the court case. I am active duty and have moved twice since El Paso. So now I guess I have to find a lawyer dig up deployment orders, the contract from the gym, and waste time I don't have.

He garnishes every check I get and come to find out the creditor receives only 5 percent of what takes and the rest he pockets. As of now, I am receiving notices from his office of unpaid judgments. After all the large amounts he takes out of my checks, and his office is still having fits that they are not getting more, is harassment. Since they are doing this, and it has become very stressful, all of this should be excused. I am fed up with how he does to people.

Everything H. Kent Hollins does it legal - NOT! I too have had my dealings with this scum of an attorney, starting back in 1997 on an alleged $17.83 check that ended up getting paid by credit union at the time. Hollins filed the first action in Johnson County District Court February 1998 and then dismissed it due to a bankruptcy I had pending. Hollins then filed again alleging the same facts in October 1998, this time around I knew nothing of the filing until after a judgment was entered and filed a motion to set aside the judgment for lack of service of the summons. The Court granted the dismissal.

I went on with my life and moved out of the KC Metro to El Paso, Texas via Clovis, New Mexico. Hollins then filed a third action alleging the same facts June 2000. Hollins mailed numerous certified mailings of the summons to addresses I either previously live or have never lived at in an attempt to get a signature to prove service of the summons. This was the case in Clovis. Hollins mailed the summons to a friend's home of which they signed for the letter thinking it was for them. After opening the letter they realized it was a summons for me.

I immediately filed a motion to dismiss for lack of service. The Court denied my motion. I then filed a motion to dismiss stating lack of jurisdiction and Hollins being a frivolous filer. The Court failed to consider my motion and issued a default judgment. I heard nothing from Hollins since 2001. On September 13, 2014 I received an account statement from Hollins alleging I owed $856.31 on the judgment. I quickly began investigating this and found that Hollins had been reviving the judgment every 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 years to keep the interest racking up.

In researching the KSA I found that Hollins is required by law to serve notice on the revivor affidavit of which never was done and further investigation reveals that once granted a revivor one must request immediate execution on the judgment, again something Hollins failed to do. Since Hollins last revived the judgment on March 2014, that leave it open to defend. I filed a motion to quash the latest revivor and strike to two previous revivor affidavits due to lack of service, and request for removal of the judgment from record on October 22, 2014. We go to Court on October 2, 2014 at 11:00 am for a hearing.

If I am successful in quashing the revivor and get the judgment removed from record, Hollins' troubles will be far from over. I'll be filing a lawsuit against Hollins for Fair Debt Collection Practice Act (FDCPA) violations along with turning his account statement claiming $856.31 over to the US Postal Inspector for mail fraud. I am also currently speaking with the attorneys handling the District Court case pending against Hollins for Telecommunications Act violations and seeking class certification so a class action can be filed against Hollins. So it appears everything H. Kent Hollins does ISN'T so legal after all......

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H.Kent Hollins Attorney?

I have been getting repeated phone calls from the law office for over 6 years now. I have no collection accounts but they continue to call daily. When I return the calls there is never anyone there.

If you are getting the same treatment here's what I suggest. Call them back from a lay phone and call their toll-free number. 1-800-219-0102. Each time you call they get charged .50 cents. If enough of us do this we could get their phone bill up at astronomical levels. 50 cents each time. You will never have to talk to anyone because no one ever answers. Let's all call them 10 times a day from pay phones. That 5 dollars a day from each one of us. Fight fire with fire!!

I had a $10 issue that I paid 14 years ago. H. Kent Hollins had been charging me to date lawyer fees. I've had 2 strokes, heart surgery and multiple traumas since then and this man has still come after me for court fees for a $10 issue. He is healed and will never talk to you. His people do his grunt work... I send him what I can and shake my head as to why a lawyer needs money that bad he would take it from a single Mom trying to raise her kids? He's cold inside is all I can say. You're in my prayers H. K. Hollins because only God can fix a messy man like you.

Kent Hollins is a low-down snake when it comes to practicing what he calls "law". I had the same experience as one of the other commenters had in as far as I was making payments twice a month for over a YEAR and then he goes to garnish me. And, oh, yes, you can forget about ever getting to speak with him directly--his guard dog staff sees to that. He is a poor excuse for an attorney and an even poorer one for a human being. I'm suing him, and hope to get his attorney license taken away, because as soon as my case is done in the limited actions division, I am filing a grievance with the attorney disciplinary board. I encourage everyone who has had anything to do with this "man" to do the same thing, file a complaint.

In having an $8.00 parking ticket which was paid, then mistakenly sent to Kent Hollins' Collection for $67.00, I attempted to speak with this company, Collection Bureau of Kansas. I tried to explain to them that it was taken care of through the city parking dept. They were rude, unprofessional and refused to let me speak with him. They stated he does not talk to people. They leave one no way to resolve the problem other than going to court which then costs another 150 dollars. I was finally able to speak with the head of the city parking and have her call Mr, Hollins' office to remove it.

The problem is Kent Hollins' office. They allow for no one to speak to his majesty thus, leaving no way to address the issue. They only insist you pay or they will file court proceedings. This is a guy who has a law degree yet isn't apparently capable of practicing real law so he goes after people who have overdue parking tickets and unpaid medical bills. What I found in going through this ordeal was that there are many people out there who have lost their jobs, been laid off, had serious medical issues with subsequent bills that are enormous, and in general, disabled people who have very little monthly income subjected to the harassment of his office and his multiplying the fines with interest and court costs for bills they can't pay.

This guy makes a living off the backs of indigent and seriously ill elderly and people with terminal illnesses. What a way to use your law degree! And then, to make matters even more degrading to the folks he harasses, he refuses to have an audience with them or speak to them by phone. One must only speak to him in court, leaving no option to resolve with him out of court. Then, if the person is fortunate enough to find a job, they must appear at 8:00 am in the morning every month to report to him - thereby creating a problem with the new employer - so they lose their job to appear in court. If you don't appear, you have a warrant served. I find this a despicable way to make a living and only hope he is on the other end some day.

A medical bill from St. Francis Medical Center, which resulted from a mold invested rental (in which ** also represented the owner of this property) was turned to collections with **. I agreed to make monthly payments on this medical bill. My bank contacted me yesterday to advise that they had received a garnishment from Hollins for the entirety of this bill. As I discussed with the bank representative and as she could clearly see from review of my account, monthly checks had been written to ** and had cleared my account. She agreed. After multiple attempts to contact Hollins, I finally reached something other than voice mail. I quickly realized this office had no idea what they were doing or why. In short, I advised, yes, I had made the agreed payments.

I was advised that my last check was not cashed; instead, they prepared a garnishment to my bank. The focus of their office was they could not cash the check and send a garnishment to my bank. The fact that their office responded in such an unethical manner seemed to escape comprehension. I then contacted the Clerk of the District Court to inquire how such a garnishment could occur as payments had been made. The person at the Shawnee County Courthouse could provide no answer. In fact, she suggested I contact ** office and "work out" the issue. Why would anyone contact his office to "work out" an issue that he obviously knowingly created?

** is completely unethical as the only means they had of sending a garnishment to my bank was the fact that I had written checks in which my banking information was imprinted. Hollins evidently retained my banking account information; however, his records reflected an old address of almost 2 years ago---even though my current address was imprinted on the checks--clearly indicates *** priorities, huh? Aside from the unethical collection practice of bank garnishment, my bank notified me that Hollins garnishment order placed a hold on my fund of $1,339.00. Of note, is the date I agreed to payment arrangements the attorney indicated an amount due of $983.54. A review of my bank statements this evening indicates $50 checks to Hollins have cleared my bank each month beginning 10/2010. In addition, it appears that *** did indeed process a recent payment as the check cleared my bank on 2/8/2011. When I spoke with ** office, they indicated that they did not process the February payment as instead they processed a bank garnishment on 2/7/2011. This bank garnishment will result in returned checks that I have written but, to date, have not been presented to my bank.

I am seeking a release of this bank garnishment as well as all damages incurred as a result of this action which include any reasonable attorney fees in which I incur and damages up to $1,000.

H.Kent Hollins Attorney Company Profile