Find a Mortgages partner

San Diego, CA

3.8/5 (237 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About Guild Mortgage Company

Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage company offering services in 48 states. The company was founded in 1960 and offers every type of mortgage loan, including specialized services for first-time homebuyers and consumers with excellent credit.

Pros

• Programs for first-time buyers
  • Offers every type of mortgage loan

Cons

• Unavailable in NY and NJ

Bottom Line

Guild Mortgage is a mortgage company with more than 60 years of experience. Customers can sign up for a loan program online and work with one of Guild’s loan specialists to find the right mortgage.

Top Guild Mortgage Company Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Our loan process was quick and easy and we were taken great care of. ... We receive regular updates on any changes to our account and our bill is always reflected properly. The we...

Verified

I had to move myself, five large dogs, and five cats as quickly as possible. In less than 3 months I was a first time homeowner thanks to Beth ** and her team with Guild Mortgage ...

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is Guild Mortgage?

Guild Mortgage is a lender that has mortgages for consumers in every phase of life. The company’s loan specialists help homebuyers get the best possible loans by reviewing their personal finances and selecting programs that fit their needs. Some of the mortgage loan options that Guild Mortgage offers include:

• 3-2-1 Home loans
  • Fixed-rate loans
  • Adjustable-rate loans
  • MH Advantage program
  • Down payment assistance

Guild also offers loan programs for current homeowners, including renovation loans, refinance offers and reverse mortgages.

How does Guild Mortgage work?

To get started with Guild Mortgage, visit the company's website or one of its 250 local branches and fill out the loan interest application. You need to provide your name, phone number, email address and ZIP code. Once Guild receives your information, a loan officer contacts you to go over the details of your finances and determine which loan is right for you. Your loan officer guides you through the mortgage process from your application to closing.

Guild Mortgage rates and fees

Guild Mortgage's interest rates vary based on your creditworthiness and other personal factors. While Guild doesn’t publish any of its rates, the average 30-year rate on a fixed-rate mortgage in 2020 has been between 3.3% and 4%. For the lowest possible rate, make sure you apply to different lenders and compare their rates and fees before you commit to a loan.

Guild Mortgage lists common fee amounts on its website, which include the following potential charges:

• Late charge: Varies by amount past due
  • Insufficient funds: $15
  • Speedpay: Varies up to $7
  • Assumption: $300 to $1,800
  • Recording: Varies by county

Be sure to ask your loan representative about all possible fees you incur with your mortgage.

Guild Mortgage FAQ

Is Guild Mortgage a direct lender?
Yes, Guild Mortgage is a direct lender that offers many types of mortgage loans.
Is Guild Mortgage a bank?
No, Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage lender.
Does Guild Mortgage service its loans?
Yes, Guild Mortgage services all loans it originates.

Is Guild Mortgage a good company?

Guild Mortgage is a reputable company that has been serving customers since 1960. It offers comprehensive mortgage services to residents of every state except New York and New Jersey. The company also services its loans, so you don't have to worry about working with a different company for your loan payments. If you’re searching for a mortgage lender with online services and the convenience of a local branch, Guild Mortgage could be right for you.

Guild Mortgage Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guild Mortgage Company?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I've had my fixed-rate loan with this company for a couple of years. Recently, I was sent a statement demanding that I pay $410 more per month (for twelve months). My taxes and insurance did not go up. When I called to straighten out the matter I was pretty much told that they would not review the case. I had to make 12 phones calls and consult with an attorney in order to get the mistake straightened out. Even then, they (Guild) still wanted me to pay significantly more per month. This is what people refer to as an "escrow nightmare". Keep in mind that my insurance and taxes did not go up and I was never late with a payment. In the end the only solution was to drop escrow because Guild would not admit that their calculations were wrong...DON'T USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

We recently moved from NY to SC & were in the process of buying a new home. We were referred by our realtor to Brent ** at Guild Mortgage & it was a horrible experience. He loves to send video messages of himself talking but not addressing any questions we had. My husband was supposed to be on the mortgage & we were told we had stipulations to take care of prior to closing on the house. The stipulations changed but Brent never notified us & we took care of items that didn't need to be done, which was not only an inconvenience & a waste of our time, but also a waste of our financial resources. Then Brent removed my husband as a borrower from the mortgage but didn't communicate this with us. Then 3 days prior to closing, he strong-armed us into signing a closing document that was inaccurate. He gave us his "word" that the document would be revised the next day but 2 days later it wasn't rectified.

I had text messages to him from months ago asking what the closing costs would be & when the costs were different from what he told me months ago, I naturally had questions. However, he didn't have clear or valid answers & is completely untrustworthy. Google dishonest car-salesman & Brent is your man. I would NEVER recommend Brent to anyone in the home-buying process. And since Brent is an employee of Guild Mortgage, I therefore have to steer you clear from Guild also. If this employee is the face of this company, it is an organization you should avoid. With the amount of money we were borrowing from Guild Mortgage, I would have expected better treatment. But clearly we are just another number.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I have been trying to contact this company to find out where do I make my second mortgage payment and no one has responded back. I did my closing June 29th 2021. They said at closing make 1st payment to Guild Mortgage but the 2nd payment wait to receive a letter with instructions. Never received it.. So unprofessional .. I've emailed Amy ** the underwriter and no response yet and that was 10 days ago... Run. They don't reach back to customers and this is all new to me..

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hello. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews. If you can please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net with your loan number and the underwriter's name (I'm unable to see it here), I'll try and help sort this out for you.

Original review: April 29, 2021

My husband passed away and I have been trying to work on getting the loan and house in my name. I can not get a phone call back from anyone at this company! I am his legal wife and beneficiary of his will yet they will not talk to me. I am so irritated. I have been dealing with this for 8 months now. I think they are horrible.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Elaine. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews for Guild. I'm sorry if you had a poor experience. If there's anything I can do to help, or if you'd like me to look into your situation further, please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: April 21, 2021

Let me start off by saying that I have had 2 home loans in the past with Guild Mortgage and never have I experienced any discomfort as now. My loan officers in the past were Eva ** and Claire. My past experience was pleasant and that is why I thought about my 3rd loan with Guild Mortgage. I had sent my information to Bonita ** and her assistant Fatima ** back in February. I was told my credit is great and the amount me and my partner would qualify for etc. I emailed Both of them several times for updates. I emailed Bonita on April 10 regarding the details of the different programs that they have available and No response back. My realtor has not been able to get in touch with Bonita. She has left her several messages and emails. Bonita has not responded to me in over a week. My boyfriend who also emailed her for an update after sending her all his personal documents and cannot get a response back from her.

Today I emailed her letting her know that I would be leaving a review and what a surprise she decided to reply. This is very inconsiderate on her behalf. Especially when trying to purchase a home. I'm very disappointed with the outcome and how we have been treated. This should be embarrassing for Guild Mortgage. It’s clear that customer service is not important. I highly believe in valuing your customers your returning customers. Reputation is so important!! I will open a loan somewhere else. Today I would not recommend Guild Mortgage.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Harissa. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews for Guild. I'm sorry if you had a poor experience. If there's anything I can do to help, or if you'd like me to look into your situation further, please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I need to close on my house and needed a signature to be able to fully close. They have made the whole process a living #3/\ for me. Finally, when I get ahold of someone to finally move the process faster they inform me that it will take 6 more days to complete the signing. Which everyday I am paying on my taxes for them. Completely ridiculous. Do not recommend if you are actually do something with your home.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Sara. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews for Guild. I'm sorry if you had a poor experience. If there's anything I can do to help, or if you'd like me to look into your situation further, please email me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Original review: March 12, 2021

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!! Tried three hundred times over a month to reach the loan servicing department during covid. AFTER 9 hours on hold I finally got through. I wanted to put my mortgage into forbearance and they REFUSED. THEY are literally breaking the law.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Margaret. Did this issue get resolved? If you reach out to me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net I'd like to try and help.

Original review: March 4, 2021

The communication between our lender and us was great. He kept us informed every step of the way. Previous companies I've worked with, it was a constant guessing game; no returned calls. Guild was great with us.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Thanks for the kind words, Sara!

Original review: March 4, 2021

Your Prescott Arizona office is broken. You'll want to investigate the "**" "Team" (joke), with Danielle, Larissa, and the others as they have together managed to create the most dysfunctional and specious mortgage experience we've ever experienced. My wife and I agree, (we're old and experienced) as we've, over a lifetime of real estate sales and purchases, done close to 50 mortgages for ourselves, and for my real estate and business clients in the Silicon Valley, California... I have never before witnessed such dysfunction in a mortgage transaction, and it's due to the people in charge of your Prescott, AZ offices. I can write in great detail about our many "OMG" moments, but if you really care about the bad experiences your customers endure because of the wrong people running your operations there, you will find ample support for my opinion.

Guild Mortgage Company response
    Hi Clay. We've connected via email and I passed this review along to our regional VP

-Ryan

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I started a refinance with Guild 10/22/20. They have yet to complete the refinance. They have consistently neglected to contact me when they need information from me; rather I find out by calling to see what is taking so much time. I am flabbergasted that a reputable company has such lax standards of service. They hold my current mortgage, which was processed in 30 days 5 years ago. I had no idea when I started this refinance that it would be so frustrating.

Guild Mortgage Company response

Hi Evelyn. My name is Ryan and I monitor these online reviews for Guild. I'm. sorry to hear about your negative refinance experience. If you send me your loan information I'll see if I can find out the status of your loan and escalate however I can. You can reach me at rwalsh@guildmortgage.net.

Guild Mortgage Company Company Information