1.22/5

62 Guaranty Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

November 21st my debit card number was compromised on two gaming websites. Thief made a total of 12 charges that were stopped by both websites before they even made it to my account know this because I talked to both website. Of course if websites did not receive the cash I wouldn't expect them to refund the cash. Guaranty Bank told me automated system automatically sensed that I did not have the money for those charges even though it hasn't came out of my account yet and the automated system started slapping overdraft charges on my checking account. I was told by guaranty bank they could not help me because the money is stuck between the bank in the website, pretty much the same thing the websites told me and yes I agree that is understandable.

I waited a week and the overdraft charges were still on my account. Guaranty Bank gave me back one as a courtesy deal but I was told I had to have proof from these websites in order to remove the other overdraft fee. I canceled my debit card right away like I was supposed to and I went to the bank directly to clear this up. I have emailed guaranty bank’s customer service with my issue but they couldn't help me. I called customer service and when I asked to speak to a supervisor I was put on hold several times by the same lady almost as if she was trying to get me to eat the overdraft. Finally the lady told me they could do nothing because money didn't actually come out of my account from the website but I am still responsible for the overdraft. The two websites sent me apology letters by email apologizing for my debit card being compromised through their website. I emailed those apology letters pretty much clearly stating my debit was compromised. These apology letters were not good enough for Guaranty Bank, they needed exact charges which I told them over the phone, they needed signatures blah blah blah they had a list of things. They can clearly see there was a theft but refused to removed my overdraft. They guarantee to bend you over is what it is.

Of course I ordered a new debit card nobody said anything about charging me anything. Today I find a $5 suspicious charge, it didn't have a check number and I can't use my debit because it’s gone, it was cancelled and I don't have the new one yet. I'm interested to see what this $5 charge is because I don't have any other fancy overdraft protection or theft protection, those are just all more fees that I have to remember coming out of my account. The $5 charge is not something that came from the website because each one listed every charge that was made on my debit and none of them were $5.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2014

I trusted this bank, and they betrayed me! They charge me a late fee twice when they knew a deposit was going into my account. After they took the fee out of my account, I was immediately locked out. Customer service had to reset everything. They wouldn't let me use my original password. Also, I couldn't use my alerts, nor see it. What a dishonest and fraudulent bank! I will cancel my account immediately!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2014

I was sending checks to them for payment only for them to delay processing it so they could try and charge a late fee. Tried to do it electronically and still got late fees. I called my bank that handles my checking account to complain. They said Guaranty was paid on time. My bank called Guaranty to straighten it out and were amazed at the response they received. Guaranty was very hostile to them and couldn't give them a straight answer about anything. My bank apologized to me for it and said they never have had that kind of response ever. Guaranty is a horrible bank to deal with. We got rid of them. If you ever have to do business with them..... turn and run! They will do anything and everything to suck you dry of money. Very shady!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2014

I believe in accuracy and truth in writing reviews...Accuracy and truth do not matter to Guaranty Bank. I went to this bank to open a checking account so that my employer could directly deposit funds to me rather than bring me a check every couple weeks. I opened my account with $265 cash. I believed everything would be fine, my account opened with no obstacles or hoops to jump through. This occurred on Saturday October 4th, 2014. On Tuesday October 7th I casually walked to the counter to withdraw $40. The transaction was almost complete. As the teller went to print my receipt and close the transaction is where the trouble began. My account was apparently locked! Why? Because my address was flagged as non-residential (Wells Fargo never had a problem with our address). They apparently couldn't send documents or debit cards to my address. So out of the honesty of my character, I handed MY $40 back to the teller.

I was later told on the phone by one of their customer service voices that I could close my account and get all my funds due to me and never have to worry about this again. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. On Wednesday October 5th, I went to the bank to close my account. Again, the transaction was about to end without a hitch, until the $50 early closing fee. At this point I just told the teller, just give me what you can so I can get the hell out of here. So I walked out with $215. Throughout a month's worth of e-mailing about getting my $50 back with customer service, I had received the following from this bank: my debit card, my bank statement/closing statement, as well as a letter telling me that these items could not be sent to this address. Their last e-mail stated that my money was going to be on its way. (It gets worse...)

After waiting and checking the mail, I sent a message back to the customer service asking where my money is and when it will be sent to me. The next day I get an e-mail back telling me they need verification of my address in order to send a check. Needless to say, another call was put in to Guaranty Bank... a month later. I will say that most of their tellers are kind and understanding.. I'm sure they hear this stuff all day long. But the company needs a drastic overhaul of procedures. 1. If your address is invalid it should be flagged at the time the account is being opened.. not after they get your money and won't let you have it back. 2. If an account is closed within one week of being opened, ANY early closing fee should not apply considering point #1.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2014

This is the absolute worst bank to do any kind of business with. My experience with this rotten bank has been to completely ignore any type of cooperation and even acknowledge they did anything wrong. In the deposit and disclosure notice that are given to any person having a personal checking account, it states that if you are away for an extended period of time and notify us, we WILL extend the time of 60 days to more, to file a claim. That proved to be a bald faced lie. They did not honor it, and further they went to say "you never reached us in time." When every phone call made, and even letters were rebuffed. Then after a whole year elapses, they send my bank statements!! This is when after all these UNAUTHORIZED transactions that I had already disputed caused the account to be overdrawn! They report it to CHEX systems, and yet when I pull the report it is mysteriously paid!!! Yet the amount of loss I suffered was more than that overdraft.

I continued to write, and then presto!! They send me a letter requesting ARBITRATION. Why on earth would I consider arbitration when they are completely at fault. Spoke to an attorney and he said they are limit the amount they have to pay when the court decides. My advice to anyone wanting to do business with a bank....RUN as fast as you can away from this bank!!! The branch that cased this is in Dacula, GA. My feeling is I hope they go our of business or the banking commission after they complete their investigation shutters the doors of this mickey mouse institution, and tosses these rotten second rate creeps on the street. No one deserves this type of treatment and to be ignored, and not even have the courtesy of a reply until over a year later is intolerable, and unacceptable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guaranty Bank?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2014

The bank screwed me with overdraft charges when my account wasn't negative, my payroll check was on hold and they stacked my account - charged me $80 in overdrafts because they chose clear two payments before my payroll check (on hold for 2 days, "new policy" even though I've never had a payroll check bounce) and charge me $37 each then clear my check even though they all cleared at the same time and my account was NOT negative. I had almost $900 clear at the same time!!!

Customer service can't do anything and bank employees are threatened their jobs if they authorize more than a certain amount of fee reversals regardless of the situation and several employees are gone from where my branch is now. I even opted out of overdraft a YEAR ago and still get charged - excuse this time is that Paypal debits don't count. Terrible predatory bank - I've filed against them to BBB and once this is resolved I'm getting out as quickly as possible. They don't give a crap if you complain - they bribe you to join by telling you that they will give you a sign on bonus then turn around and do all they can to charge you. "Free checking" doesn't really exist with them, you will get a charge for something then you have to fight to get it fixed. I would recommend them to NOBODY.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2014

Just opened an account in June, and only made 2 deposits, and the second one they said was returned for ns funds. So I checked with the bank that it came from and they said Guaranty had cashed it. So I told them that, and they still argued with me. So I got a copy of the check that is stamped that they cashed it, and now I can't access my account over the phone. They say my account and pin number are wrong wtf! DON'T TRUST THIS BANK!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2014

In 2010, me and my fiancee opened accounts with Guaranty bank, as it was the closest, and was also inside the grocery store we used most often. In 2011, we decided to close out our accounts and go with another bank. There was a zero balance when our accounts were closed.

FLASH forward to 2014. Both my sister and my father informed me that they had gotten calls from some shady collector saying I owed the bank money. (For what?) My dad informed me that he had gotten a voice mail from them saying that I owed a balance of 100 dollars, and if I did not pay, law enforcement would be dispatched to my door. After making multiple phone calls and finding out who actually made the call... I threatened reporting them to the state atty general's office, where they hung up on me... and haven't heard back in over a month.

Only thing I can figure is they are trying to stick me with monthly charges because they never properly closed the account, and then had the gall to report me to some Guido tactics using collection agency. I will see them in hell before they ever see a dime from me... legit or not.

Original review: May 28, 2014

I opened an account in 2010 because my friend worked there and she needed people to open accounts. You got a free $10 to spend at the grocery store. I then gave them all my old checks from another bank account I had but didn't use very much and they paid me for them. Then I recruited my brother to open an account and got some money for that. When I finished spending all that money, maybe 6-7 months later (It has been so long I can't remember) I went in and told my friend I wanted to close my account because I didn't use it. She said no worries and that was what I believed to be my break-up with Guaranty Bank. Since then I have moved close to 10 times (student). I get a call in APRIL OF 2014 saying that they were putting a judgement against me for over $300 and that the account was closed by the bank in 2011 with a negative balance.

I never used this account for anything but using the money that had to be spent at the grocery store the bank was in. Apparently my friend never closed the account and I don't know anything about this overdrafting. The lawyer who called me doesn't have detailed account info and the bank that was here closed down a couple of years ago. He said they were sending statements, etc., but I have moved and have had 2 new phone numbers since I thought I was done with this bank. Who do I need to contact about this? Does Guaranty Bank have a legal department? Obviously they sent this to collection and I was told once the lawyer fees are added on, it will be over $600!

I am no longer in contact with the friend that worked there and am not sure how to go about fighting these malicious charges. I don't have any of my account information because it has been years since I thought I had any kind of relationship with this bank. I even remember I had a dollar or two left in it when I asked to close it, but I wasn't worried about it. I don't know if they ever did send me a check for that, but it is clear now that they screwed something up.

Original review: March 20, 2014

I use bill pay a lot. Lately there have been numerous errors on Best Banks ... Guaranty Bank's part. I always set up bills to come out the next day. This instance I did the same as I always do but the amount was withdrawn the same day I set it up...never ever happened. This cause my account to go into the negative. I set up numerous bills on the same date to come out on the same date. I noticed the largest amount came out the same day... first. I had one large bill and a couple of small... the small ones came out the next day. Basically they took the large amount out too soon causing an overdraft fee.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2014

Lots of people here are complaining about fees. Rightfully, a text message or phone call giving a "current balance" instead of "available balance" is confusing, but this bank recently switched providers and their new system is way better than the last. If you prepay for gas, they hold a dollar against your account. "They" isn't the bank, it is the gas station you bought your gas at. There is nothing the bank can do if they don't receive the info from the merchant for 2-3 days. Also, the people here who can't even describe the fees assessed against them is ridiculous. $37 per item paid that exceeds available balance is not excessive in perspective. A single overdraft costs $37 and if you can't bring the balance to $0 within 7 calendar days, a one time $36 fee is assessed. That isn't drastic whatsoever, and anyone who is complaining didn't listen to their banker when they opened the account.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2014

I started banking with these guys about a year and a half ago, largely out of necessity/convenience; they were the only bank within a reasonable distance, I lacked a car at the time, and they were in the grocery store I went to. I didn't have too many problems with them at first, but their debit/credit-card system is completely screwed up. Make a purchase, it can be "in process" for up to three days. During this time, it will be part of your actual balance still, but not your "available balance."

The thing is, they apparently do not go by available balance, that or they selectively choose when to finish a processing order, because more than just a few times, I've been slapped with an overdraft when my bank account balance still had enough money even if the available balance was less, or negative. I don't normally overdraft unless I am depositing a paycheck either that day, the next, or it's Sunday (most debit processing systems will not take out the money until the next business day if you charge it on Sunday, usually 6am on Monday). The reasons for this ought to be obvious. I am kind of living hand-to-mouth, paycheck to paycheck right now, have been practically since I got this bank account.

Let me tell you, they sure haven't helped. I'm used to credit transactions going through at midnight and debit transactions going through immediately. Why? Oh, I dunno, maybe the fact a debit transaction is the bank immediately saying the amount they owe me (the money I have with them) is lessened by that amount immediately; the liability is my own to pay it at that moment, which is why gas stations oftentimes will not allow credit and will only allow debit. The credit is what the bank has to undertake, and they typically take it out at midnight. But here?

Debit and credit do the same thing, they both take the money out at midnight. Not even same day. I've had some orders processing for up to five days. I've had some not process UNTIL the day I deposited my check. THEN it went through... Against my account. As an overdraft. Despite them having the check in their system at the same time. And them telling me it'll be available the next day. And despite it showing up ON THE RECEIPTS THEY GIVE ME SHOWING MY ** BALANCE HAVING THE AMOUNT OF THE CHECK ON IT. I told them to opt me out of their overdraft thing. And oh, it opts you out of it...it opts you out of their overdraft "protection" plan.

So in other words, you pay them $10 a month, and in exchange, every overdraft to $50 is $7 for the overdraft fee. Thing is that overdraft fee is applied next day, and doesn't process until the NEXT day. In other words? Good ** luck ever trying to figure out what in the Flying Spaghetti Monster's name your account's status is. Unless you're religiously looking at your balance online after practically every damn transaction, you're going to lose track of where you are in a hurry, and this becomes an even greater problem when you're like me and basically having to grind your paycheck against the millstone.

When you're needing to squeeze every penny, and your bank seems to be gaming it so that you are getting slapped with overdraft fees no matter how much you try to predict their transaction processing, it makes your financial situation even worse. They seem to have noticed I make much more money than I used to, and accordingly, the processing for my card transactions is even more wildly unpredictable than ever. I can hear it now; "Why don't you just pay for every large transaction with checks?" I DO. And I hate doing that because checks take 3-5 days to process out. Best part is? It won't tell you that it's been deposited by the payee. It will not show up until it's entered processing on the payee's end. So it takes like 3 days to process out, another 3-5 for the payee to process it in. This is terrible both for me and for anyone I am buying from, for obvious reasons.

I shouldn't need to watch my finances this much. I already watch them like a hawk. I don't have enough wiggle room to be dealing with this ** where the bank either is incompetent for processing electronic transactions, or is outright trying to ** me over. I suspect, given everything here, that it is the latter. So, ** them. I just bought $1000 worth of stuff that I've been in dire and not so dire need of... Well, more like $800 or so. The point is my account is overdrafted a thousand bucks. Do I intend to pay it back? Ever? No.

Why not? Well, call it unethical if you want, but the practices of this "bank" (I prefer the term 'cash incinerator') are far more unethical than this. They can say something to Chex all they'd like; I already have a bank account with Associated (who are awesome and have their crap together and aren't trying to bilk me everywhere I turn), and AB doesn't care because I had an account with them before Guaranty and in like three years of having an account, I overdrafted ONCE. Why? I dunno, maybe it's because Associated isn't a bunch of thieves?

What else are they going to do? Report me to the credit bureaus? Oh no not that anything but that oh god help me - Your credit score isn't the end of your life. I'm 26, make a lower-end of middle-class income, have a 2005 Cobalt (all parts recently repaired and replaced, it's practically like new), and while I am currently scraping by, by next month I won't be because I'll be in a more secure situation...which I would have been in much sooner if Guaranty hadn't kept screwing me over. And yet, I have NO credit score. I have some unpaid medical bills, so I actually have nothing but a bad one. How much does this affect my life? None at all.

So, I overdrafted my account to a grand and so long, Guaranty; this is my way of taking back all the money you ** stole from me with your terrible business practices. Good luck sending debt collectors after me; it's not that hard to block phone numbers, and it's not hard to throw away junk mail, either. They already called me about it being a "felony" to not pay it off. Idiots. A federal offense to overdraft an account? Not in the last 200 years, you liars. Whatever notions I had about setting up a payment plan with them? Gone. Intimidation and bullying to try to get their money back from someone who still has an open account? Up yours, Guaranty. And good riddance.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2014

Best Bank (Guaranty Bank) is ripping off consumers. I had an experience with them. Persons should not bank with this bank because after the royal running around when someone hacked their system, and ridiculous charges occurring on my bank statements. Besides, they held my direct deposit for days when it was sent to my Checking Account. Then when you deposit money at the ATM, it isn't available to you right away until another 3 working days. If you asked someone (a relative) to deposit some money in your account, the teller issued to the person your overall balance and not a receipt of what the person put into your account. As a result, that person then becomes aware of how much money you have in your checking.

Further, I used my debit card at Kroger and was in an overdraft of $2.00, so by the time I get home and check the online statement Best Bank put on a $37.00 overdraft fee. Then when I checked two days later, another $37.00 fee. So I called the bank, and after trying for a long time to get a customer representative, I told her that it was only $2.00 and that I cannot pay those ridiculous fees that the bank put ($37.00) on that $2.00 immediately. She said okay we will take it off. I said to her, I will be there in 5 days to put the account back into positive because I was ill at the time and was caring for a sick child. She said that was okay.

I finally visited the ATM before those days. I then deposited $3.00 when I looked at the slip Best Bank (Guaranty Bank) put back on the $37.00 overdraft fees. Since then the bank refused to listen, placing you on hold, and redirecting calls for hours. Then send letters demanding a balance of $34.00, along with informing me that they reported me to ChexSystems, Inc (of which they are not a member), and then get a woman calling, harassing me from Professional Placement Service (tel # 1-414-224-3580). When I Google their number the review said they are scammers, but these scammers have your social security number and they are not even in the same state as I am with my research. That is what Best Bank (Guaranty Bank) did.

Finally, if you value your privacy, does not want to be hacked by the Best Bank System, some ridiculous overdraft fees, and your money not available to you right away via ATM along with your direct deposits, please do not bank with Best Bank (Guaranty Bank). Luckily, for me, I still had a checking account open with another bank, for they are trying to screw you up.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2014

Several calls made with no resolution on errors in billing. Cannot remit payments utilizing their online system out of the country, cannot remit correct amount due when in the U.S. due to incompetent customer service representatives. This company needs to be reprimanded. They do not care about customer relations or care about creating a user friendly environment for their customers. What a waste of time trying to get to talk to anyone that has any sense and authority. Yes, I am angry, frustrated, trying to be a responsible person they do not even have the courtesy to assist, but rather hang up the phone, or leave you hanging for as long as you care to wait..... That's customer service for you.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2013

When I first started accounts with Guaranty they offered incredible face to face, Corporate, AND automated services. Now they offer no almost no Corporate service and ONLY automated. If you have an issue that doesn't fit automated, then you have to go to the bank to resolve... IF they can. They do not offer the branch phone numbers any more so you MUST go in person. If you CAN get someone on the phone, they either transfer you to someone else (which ends up being the automated line) OR they give you a different phone number to call (which ends up being the automated line). This is the worst of it.

Too many incorrect solutions from possibly poorly trained or bad attitude employees that have frozen my assets a number of times (NOT GOOD when Christmas Shopping - this was the most recent fail on their part) to walking into a branch and advising IN ADVANCE (which is what the bank SAID would eliminate that from happening) that I would be travelling to a certain area so do not freeze my account ONLY to have it frozen any way. Just a complete loss of respect for the Customer ... Most recently, my sister couldn't access her account online and while the teller (in person) was trying to resolve on the phone she told the guy that she would pass him to her and we HEARD him say that he didn't WANT to talk to the Customer. REALLY???? And she still can't access her account online. I could go on and on with all the fails this bank now has to offer. Time to move on if you value good service and access to your money.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2013

I have been with Guaranty Bank for a couple of years now. I have their overdraft protection. Which is worthless. I am still being charged the $37 fee per time. I have used their loan service. I have paid their fees. I recently moved. I have been trying to balance a checkbook and a move. The bank has charged me $444 in overdraft or 12 overdrafts since Nov 27. I have pleaded to please reverse at least some charges and they refuse. I am leaving the bank.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2013

I wanted to close my acct. I lost my deposit receipt and was concerned that someone can withdraw money and use my acct. At that time they told me that I can't close the acct. because they were fixing or doing their computer and data systems. Came back after a week, it took them over an hour to do the process and issue me a check. The staff was waiting for the authorization from their main bank in Milwaukee to release the check. Just after I close the acct. I received a $10.00 charge for the check. After that I received a $36.00 overdraft fee, after that I received another continuous overdraft charge of $37.00. I went back to the bank and the Manager said maybe the acct. was never closed? She wanted me to sign a withdrawal slip showing that the acct. was closed and it has a zero balance. Why would I want to do that when I already closed the acct. before? Then she said that their data and computer system screwed up and more Bs. If this is the kind of screws up they do, then why would I even trust to do banking and recommend your bank to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2013

I've had a couple "single" overdraft fees within the past year and actually had them reversed. I was very happy that the bank helped me out with one of them which was from a purchase that I made directly after "texting" BAL to their text number and finding out my current balance was positive. Apparently, that text service shows you a balance that is not your available balance. They have "pending transactions" that are not calculated at the point where you get that text info. They helped me but, if they have their system set up to provide false information to their customers, should I really be thankful? In the age of digital banking, do I have to go back to the old checkbook and start balancing every penny just so a bank can't take advantage of me? Anyway, that's not my story. Just a little info in case anyone else is checking their balance via Guaranty's text service.

My story is simply this. I get gas with my bank card and apparently they do not take/hold the whole purchase amount. They authorize the card for like $1 and then the gas purchase hits my account a couple of days later. Maybe 3 days? WOW! really? So I go to Pick N Save and use my card for some groceries and incur an overdraft fee because my gas purchase was "pending" and that balance I thought I had was actually an imaginary balance. It went on as a few other transactions came in (being that I thought my gas purchase was accounted for). I got charged a fee for $1.27 Redbox movie. I got charged a fee for lunch at one of my favorite fast food establishments. I got charged a fee when I brought my Redbox movie back a couple of days late. 4 fees @ $37 each = $148 for maybe $14 in overdrafts plus the Pick N Save groceries that were all caused by charging me $1 at the point of sale for my gas. Plus the BS fact is that they offer a text program to their customers that is useless and causes nothing but confusion and overdraft fees. Of course they can only reverse so many (1 or 2) in a year and there is nothing they will do for me.

That's what happened and my consequences are $148 in overdraft fees of money that I do not have. If I had it, I sure as heck wouldn't be overdrawn and I feel a bit misled by this text service that they offer. Thanks for the reverse Robin Hood, Guaranty Bank!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2013

Truly it seems that you don't fully understand why you were charged a returned mail fee. First of all, let me state that I happen to be a satisfied customer of Guaranty Bank. Secondly, the consumer who stated that "Guaranty Bank charged an overdraft fee on top of the returned mail fee" is mistaken. I know for the fact that the bank does not charge an itemized overdraft fee for a fee that the bank charges. Thirdly, wouldn't it make sense to notify the bank of your new address maybe before your move or at least right away? If a service charge overdrafts your account, Guaranty will not charge an overdraft fee. Now if any other type of debit occurred while overdrawn, then yes their overdraft fees would apply.

Original review: June 19, 2013

I have been with this bank for over 15 years. I have 6 accounts, 3 business accounts. As of the last 2 years, they have been manipulating deposits and check/withdrawal orders in order to maximize their overdraft fees. The tellers/branch managers, etc. are not allowed to reverse more than 2 overdraft fees a year.

For anyone that has a business or anyone - period - get away from this bank. They only cash checks if it’s in their best interest, otherwise they say the signatures don’t match. I have deposited certified funds and they placed a hold on them. I have also made deposits, and it’s like magic. They don’t appear in the account until midnight, so that overdraft fees can occur. Just Google “banks manipulating deposits” and you will see how many law firms out there would love you to contact them regarding Guaranty bank! Please contact them ASAP, so we can stop this fraudulent practice by them and start getting some of our money back.

Original review: June 14, 2013

Be very careful if you make payments using your Guaranty Bank account or debit card information. Even if you opt out of their overdraft coverage, they WILL NOT decline payments, sending you into an over-daft situation, where they charge you $37 each, and then send your account into a spiral for even more bounce fees. They are shysters just waiting to trap you by their terms. STAY FAR AWAY of Guaranty Bank, no matter how convenient or luring their promotions may seem to be.

Original review: June 4, 2013

I recently had my purse stolen. They refused to let me withdraw money with three forms of ID and my Social Security card because it wasn't my State ID. And of course, I didn't have it since my purse was stolen. I then had to call customer service and complain to be allowed to withdraw money for a new ID. I'm closing my account as soon as my direct deposits transfer. They are totally rude and full of **!!! And the managers were the rudest!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2013

I changed my address 2 years ago and when I called to request new "free" checks for life that I got when I opened the account, they told me I had to order from a branch. So I did. The teller wrote my account number down and told me he got it covered. I called one week later to verify he placed the order. He did not. Now, they say they can order them for me over the phone. Again, the order was never placed. Then I called and they said they never updated my address from 2 years ago when I changed it and the checks went there and were printed with my old address. Needless to say, I am without checks for 2 months. I had to call and threaten to withdraw my money and close my account in order to get my checks.

They have stranded me by putting a hold on my debit card on vacations to Mexico and Miami, saying I used it too many times in a 24 hour period. What? It's my money. I even called them before I left to authorize international transactions. Customer service is awful. Rude employees don't know their own policies which change every week. They are now selling my information to other companies. You have to call and wait 20 minutes to opt out of this program with a rude customer service who tells me I should have entered my account number in before prompting for an agent. I followed the directions on the mail you sent me informing me of this invasion of private information! I hate this bank. Don't ever trust them with your money.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2012

My girlfriend had just opened up a new checking account one year ago at a Guaranty Bank here in Kenosha, WI. I myself have neither a checking nor saving account at this branch nor do I wish to have one. I recently had trouble cashing personal check of mine because I didn't have to forms of ID. So my girlfriend told me one of the tellers at Guaranty Bank would have no trouble cashing it for me in a pinch. So the two of us went over to see if they would cash my checks. They said no. They couldn't do it and asked if I had a checking or saving with them. I said no. They said why not? I said I didn't want to.

So that day, I walked away and went to Wal-Mart where I had no problems cashing the same two checks. My girlfriend had told me that she had been getting harassed about me not wanting to open up a checking or savings there. I went to the bank with her today. She had to cash a check and again they started in on me and my girlfriend again. I finally had to tell her off. I told the assistant branch manager at this bank to stop harassing us about me opening up a checking or savings there. I'll never open one now, never. My girlfriend has now had enough. She is now closing her account and going elsewhere, and I'm filing a complaint.

Original review: July 6, 2012

As you can read in all the posts here, we all had, or are having, a terrible experience with Guaranty Bank practices. At this point, I am not going to take it anymore. I already lost several hundreds of dollars by accepting their inexcusable explanations of why my transaction dates are messed up, giving them the opportunity of charging me overdraft fees and now lately to the point of being charged $28 daily for my overdraft of $3.80. At this point, I owe $203.77 and tomorrow will be $28 more and every consecutive day up to 13 days per item.

I get an unemployment check every two weeks, so that gives them exactly 13 days to charge up to $364 (per item) plus $28 one-time charge per overdraft. It's very hard for me to see this as something legal. How can they do that? No matter what you say or ask, they think they can justify what they do and we have to accept it or cancel the account; however, you can't since you are negative so you have to wait 15 days until they can get (apparently by law) all the money they can. Then, they will close it for you with an extra charge of $50.

I invite everyone that visits this site to sign a petition to stop this bank from fraudulent charges. We need to do something about it. I also filed a complaint with BBB Wisconsin and FDIC and I recommend you to do that too.

Original review: April 20, 2012

I recently made a math mistake and my account was overdrawn by $8. A week later, I received a letter showing I owe $168 in overdraft charges. The bank claims they sent me a letter informing me that effective Feb. 23, they will charge $28 a day in overdraft fees. I never received such letter and they neither emailed me nor sent a message to my account screen. I do online banking and receive e-Statements. The bank could have alerted by email that there was a problem. Instead, they sent me a letter a week later, telling I owe a large amount in overdraft fees. I was unable to close the account to stop the fees because of the negative balance and was told that after the 15th day, the bank will force close the account and charge me an additional $50.

The bank refused to cooperate and I began to prepare a federal lawsuit. In the meanwhile, I complained to the BBB and the FDIC. After these complaints, the bank contacted me and reversed all the overdraft fees. Still, I protested and requested that all customers receive the credit and that they properly notify consumers of the new overdraft policy. A week later, the bank sent me certified letter and attached a check for the balance and closed my account. I was pleased because by then, I opened an account with another bank. My advise to you is this: Do not accept the charge and complain. In the Message/Alert section (after a consumer logs on to their account) there is a clear message that says "Make sure we have your correct email address so you receive alerts and messages." Clearly, the bank didn't utilize my email address or account to notify me of the policy change. Avoid Guaranty Bank and all their affiliates (usually banks in retail and grocery stores). You have choice.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2012

Since opening checking account last fall, this bank has changed their overdraft policy three times. They've gone to an overdraft policy that demands $28 daily for overdraft fees. This bank has gone from being a friendly bank, to a two-bit banker. As soon as I can, I will close this account.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2012

Over the past few months, I believe as well as many other customers of Guaranty Bank, that they have been desperately trying to stay afloat by making extreme unnecessary fraudulent charges from it's customers.

They change banking policies every six months. In fact they are changing again this February 23 to what they call "easy to understand overdraft fees." This is how it works instead of their $37 dollar fee per date, with $10 a day after the 3rd day, they now just charge $28 per day. They call it "sensible banking."

Here are two examples in which I have been raked through the coals with Guaranty Bank. In June 2011, they again changed their policies, or should I say enforced their policies as a tool to entice customers into their Clear Advantage program, a program which charges a monthly fee for overdrawn checks. They began to put a two day hold on payroll checks to about I was told 30 percent of it's clientele. I apparently was in that 30 percent. I was told it was random but later found out it was based on a percentage of cash transactions. My balance told me I had more then enough money after depositing my payroll check. What I did not know is that the two day hold effect had just begun to be enforced and any transactions that were to go through before the two day hold was lifted clear with a $35 dollar charge. I ended up with around $165 in fines.

I immediately called the customer service line and was told there was nothing they could do. When I asked to speak to a manager, I was told no manager was on duty. I could here this unequipped employee being coached by another employee in the background, so I asked to speak to the one that knows what he is talking about. The next employee did now agree with me that the fees seemed unfair. I told her I would have never expect my bank of the last seven years to be running a scheme.

I could not let it rest, I went down to my branch, told the story again, the manager, yes they have them, told me about the policy and how they were told to enforce it to about 30% of the clientele and again told me it was unfair and did not think the two day hold on payroll checks would last that long. In fairness to Guaranty Bank, they did credit all my charges back to my account but after a three hour run around.

So comes January 2012, still a two day hold on payroll checks, and now I happened to come across some serious shadiness on the part of Guaranty Bank. I deposited my payroll check with a existing balance in the account. They gave me receipt it says my available balance and my balance. Walking away from the bank with the correct information. I went online the next day and it said I am overdrawn with no transactions made between deposit and checking. I am furious. I called up the customer service line again after being put on hold for thirty minutes. They told me they put a hold on funds against the payroll check until it clears. So now I have to wait two days to get my payroll check and my current available funds! Need I remind you this is my hard earned money. Again he told me this seems unfair but it is the policy. He then said if I don't purchase anything until Monday when the payroll check clears, it should be fine. It is the weekend with a family in need of groceries, so thanks for the advice.

I am closing my account in Spring and am truly disappointed that Guaranty Bank has had to cheapen themselves to bully tactics on it's customers. Your employees say it is unfair, in fact one teller that I have always enjoyed said in confidence that if she did not work here, she would not bank here. Employee Loyalty... hmmm. And all under the banner... Free and easy checking.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2012

They charged me a returned mail fee from when I moved. Then we tried to change the address and customer service, a bunch of fools, said they could not change it. Tried to change it online but it would not go. I called the branch to speak to our personal banker and she was late for work and not in. So they send more mail to the same address they know is outdated and charge me another fee, and an overdraft charge for charging me the fee and then a daily fee for the overdraft.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2011

I have been so disappointed with Guaranty's customer service over the last year. Our local branch has consistently been understaffed. It seems like there’s a different manager every other week. The night deposits don't get posted till middle of next day. On top of it, Guaranty no longer allows one to contact branch via phone and requires an 800 number with a minimum 10 plus minute wait where they will "relay message". Expect to be moving within the next year; otherwise, I'd be withdrawing funds ASAP!

Guaranty Bank Company Information