Guaranty Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After eleven years of Banking with Guaranty I have had it. Today, July 28 2016 I was attempting to open another checking account with Educators Credit Union. When they reviewed my paperwork a delinquency on a closed account I had with Guaranty Bank showed up. The fee was listed as a -50.00 1.) Account Abuse 2.) NSF. I've had my main account all eleven years since I've opened it. The secondary account I had for at least 3 or more years. Between January of 2015 and January of 2016 the account only saw minimal activity. I stopped using the account.

I was told after noticing the account had been closed on my online banking that the account had indeed been closed for non-activity. There was no abuse of the account. At the time I was informed of this I was in person at my local branch in Burlington, WI. At this time I had all my pertinent information on file as up to date as possible. I was never told anything other than the account had been closed and would be eliminated from my online account overview. That's it, nothing else.

After finding out from Educators that Guaranty tacked on a $50.00 fee for what they called monthly inactivity I went to the Burlington Branch. They had to contact customer service. They could not go back and confirm that there was indeed a five dollar a month fee on the secondary checking. (This was all just a guess by the assistant manager.) They couldn't view anything. She took down my phone number and name and said she would have to get back on the phone with customer service and would phone me back that same day July 28th 2016. I never received a phone call. She also informed me while I was still there after doing some fact finding that Guaranty had mailed me some paperwork pertaining to the account closure. The mail had been returned even though the address they had on file was the current address I reside at now.

I read back through my agreement paperwork for that account and found not a single paragraph about a monthly fee on a FREE checking account. The account had no overdrafts or NSF during the day they closed the account. On December 23 2015 they tacked the charge off fee of $50.00 and left it as a NSF so they could accumulate interest on a closed account. Then tonight around 9 pm July 28th 2016 I went to check my main account and there was my closed account now re-opened with the statement showing a balance of -$50.00. They did not get my consent to re-open the account. They did not inform me in writing or verbally that they would or could re-open the closed account. I'm currently researching banking laws in Wisconsin because I'm pretty sure I have a right to file a lawsuit. I am taking all my money from this bank and spreading the word to as many family and friends I can of their business practices.

I have been an insurance agent for 24 years, and deal with banks 5-6 hours every day. Guaranty Bank is by far the very worst bank without a doubt when it comes to customer service. Every year they mail a threatening letter out to my clients saying there is no proof of insurance on file. Everything we have on file is correct, and has been correct for years. After receiving the threatening letter my clients call me. I cannot call the bank on behalf of my clients like I do with all of the other banks as they refuse to speak with anyone but the client. Every year my clients have to call the bank's customer service center, wait 15-20 minutes to speak with a customer service rep, then they call my agency and we verify everything on file is correct.

I have never missed a payment and usually pay months ahead or make extra payments toward principal. My escrow was recalculated a few months ago, but I had already paid up a few months. So I had an escrow shortage on my account. I called on 4/21 requesting the full shortage amount so I could pay a lump sum. The rep gave me the wrong amount because I made the payment she stated and there is still a shortage balance. During this call, I also requested that pending payments dated 5/4 and 5/6 be canceled. I was told it would take about 4 days for this change.

Around the 28th I called because the payments still showed as pending on my online login. I was told not to worry, the payments were cancelled. I called again on May 3rd with the same concerns and the same answer was given. 5/5 I called and asked why the 5/4 payment never canceled and I needed to ensure the 5/6 payment gets canceled. I was told that a supervisor would call me back. I also said since the 5/4 payment has already come out for an escrow payment (which was already paid on 4/21), can it just be applied to my principal? The rep said that was feasible.

Over 6 hours later and no call from a supervisor, I called to get the status. I was told by Chaz that I had to fill out a form to get a payment canceled. I informed him that I've canceled payments before over the phone and he is referring to automatic payments which this is not. I was placed on a long hold. When he came back I was told that his notes show that the payments dated 5/5 and 5/6 are canceled. I asked him how does it show a canceled payment for 5/5 when there was never a payment for that date. Again I am placed on a longer hold. He comes back and says his supervisor Myesha is not available at this time and will contact me some time tomorrow.

Chaz talked over me multiple times including when I asked him was there anything in his notes about the 5/4 payment being transferred to pay the principal. He continued to cut me off saying Myesha will call me back and give me an answer and he could only tell me that. He could not give me a time frame of when this call would be. I have never felt so unimportant and disrespected by a company that I have complied with in every way. It felt like as if I was talking to a bill collector and had been delinquent. I deserved more respect than this. End of day 5/6 I still haven't received a call from supervisor. I'm sure this payment will come out today. I sent an email to their customer service email mirroring this post yesterday and no response there either.

I had an account with the bank for a short time after my father had passed to handle the Trust. And I could not believe that a bank does not carry money on hand without a two day lead time. And it was any amount over five hundred - that's not a lot. Then make you sign a waiver to leave the bank with the money. But when you call to make the appointment to pick up your money they are rude and can't even reach your local branch. I could go on and on about the terrible service, but I think if you do any business with Guaranty Bank you should get what you have coming.

Reading the reviews of Guaranty Bank and Trust (not any trust) I see just how horrible they treat their customers. It's a wonder they are in business at all. I know why not many people are in their banks and have are closing almost all on Saturdays. As consumers when we are treated so horribly the only power we have is to not do business with them and let others know in reviews. The staff are extremely condescending to the point where it seems like children are running this bank. I'm a business owner of 20 years. I have a business account with another bank for 20 years. Upon an offer of free checks and thinking this bank may be a local bank I decided to try them out. THANK GOD I did not close my other bank.

Upon making a deposit a Guaranty teller kept looking at the checks and my bank account repeatedly & holding me up. I finally inquired as to the problem in which she stated she was looking at my account for her "personal reference". I asked what her personal reference had to do with my business account. She kept repeating herself and would not give me a straight answer. When I left she sarcastically yelled out "have a nice day". So apparently you are not allowed to ask. Upon e-mailing a complaint multiple times I finally got a response from the manager in which she offered no apology and talked over me on the phone. Going into another branch a week later I had mentioned to the teller (as they were closing on Sat) that the other branch was horrible. At this point, she told me I was a rude customer and she was going to close my account.

I then got a letter stating they were closing my account and literally gave me two days and all checks previously written would be returned unpaid. All this for personal reasons! There was NOTHING wrong with my account as far as unpaid or bounced checks. This solely because I dare ask a question and voice my opinion. Childish! The letter was threatening in nature and left me and those I had written checks to vulnerable. So instead of looking at their poor customer service they get rid of their customers. They leave you in a bad spot and do not care. Do not USE THEM!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guaranty Bank?

I have been with this bank since I got my first savings account nearly 10 years ago. I have never had problems until the last year and a half. I opened the credit builder accounts and was told at the time of the account opening that I could close the account at any time and receive back what I paid in. I went in to close the account and was told I needed to pay off the loan otherwise all I would receive was the $.16 of interest I earned. I told them it was fine as long as I would have the money back in my account THAT DAY. They said, "absolutely", it would go out of my checking, into the loan, back into my checking. Great. Started the process and all of a sudden it was 24-48 hours. Cool. Fine. Finish the process and I'm told it will be seven to THIRTY days before I would receive my money.

Left the bank because after being there for an hour, my kids were already really crabby and ready to leave. Check my account the next day and they hadn't even paid off the loan yet. Called my branch and explained the situation. They called the back office and the loan was paid off and I was told it would be taken care of today (3 days after the initial visit to the branch). Checked my account no less than 7 times today, including moments before calling the branch. Once again I was told they would call the back office.

They called me back moments later and I was told that the money had been in my account since open this morning. So not only were they playing with my money, they were calling me a liar on top of it. I love my branch, I love the people that work at my branch and I love them for putting up with me but my goodness the back office for this company is absolute trash. Cannot wait for my tax returns to clear so I can take my business elsewhere.

Everyone else I have talked to that bank somewhere other than Guaranty, get overdraft fees per day NOT per Transactions!!! I put money in my account 3 times to cover my own transactions but, I couldn't keep caught up when my bank kept pulling money out for overdraft fees! This is ridiculous!!! I had over $200 taken out of my account in one day for Overdraft fees. The worst part was none of my own transactions were even close to that much.

On 11/06/15 I went to Guaranty Bank and arranged for 2 CDs as well as for a checking account and a debit card. This was done with the assistance of Ms. Tatiana **, Guaranty Relationship Banker and a few months later branch manager, and L. **. I explained to Ms. ** the nature of my stay in Europe and that I would be depending heavily on this card and my checking account for everyday expenses while in Europe. She assured me that there would be no problem and gave me my debit card and her Guaranty business card with telephone number and e-mail address and told me to call or e-mail her whenever I needed help or encountered problems. She assured me that the card would be good for the two years that I was in Europe. I also received a copy of the CD contracts and checking account documentation, where it clearly stated my address in Sweden and the duration term of two years for my CD arrangement with Guaranty.

After arriving in Sweden later on in November, the use of the card, etc. in Sweden went smoothly with no problems other than the occasional very late bank statement, which Ms. ** took care of when I e-mailed her about it. In late April and early 05/15 I made a short visit to Spain and discovered that the Guaranty card was blocked. I contacted Ms. **, and she unblocked it immediately. It was then for the first time that I was told that I must notify her in advance of the country to be visited and the inclusive dates of the visit, but that the card was always open for Sweden and the U.S.A. Thereafter I financed my expenses in Spain with the card. Upon returning to Sweden in early November I continued to use the card as needed without any problems until August 2015, when I was planning a trip mainly to Germany.

On August 26, 2015 Ms. ** e-mailed me that the card was set to open for the period of my planned stay (09/2-09/23/2015) in Germany. Later the same day I received an e-mail from a Wade **, vice-president at Guaranty, that due to information that he had read stating that Sweden and Germany were at the top of the list of 15 countries suffering from debit card fraud and that due to the risk for Guaranty my card would be blocked in the near future but I would be given a period of grace to take my assets out of their bank and arrange for investing them elsewhere. In connection with earlier trips to Sweden and other parts of Europe, I had already done some research concerning this problem and found that Germany and Sweden were at the bottom of lists globally when it concerned debit and credit card fraud.

I e-mailed Mr. ** an article with statistics on Global card fraud indicating that Sweden was at the bottom of a list of 20 countries and Germany was third from the bottom. He sent me a seething e-mail claiming I was accusing him of being a liar and that if I was displeased with Guaranty's blocking my account I should get out of their bank as soon as possible. He also stated that the information he had was correct and that my information was out of date as it was compiled in 2013 for the year 2012. Sometime later I sent him an article from CardHub's showing the most recent statistics from ACI Payments Systems compiled in 2015 for the year 2014 indicating the same information as the previous statistics

Apparently R. Hamilton, president of Guaranty Bank and Trust, intercepted my e-mail to Mr. ** and had seen that Sweden was not a risk to Guaranty, and this was not a valid motive for blocking my card. There were several e-mails back and forth between us. Hamilton stated that his position was in total agreement with Mr. **'s inasmuch as my card should be blocked, albeit the motive was no longer the extreme dangers of card fraud in Sweden. In fact, he stated that Mr. **'s concerns in this way were irrelevant. Now he introduced the fabrication that it had always been the policy of Guaranty to limit cards used abroad to short periods.

He also claimed that Ms. ** was well aware of this policy and could not have agreed to let me use the card abroad for such a long period, and it must have been someone else who no longer worked there that had given me this incorrect information he had no idea who and could not provide names. Furthermore, he stated that even if the assurances were erroneously made by Ms. ** or someone else, I had nothing in writing and therefore no proof. This, of course, is not quite correct. I have e-mails from Ms. ** and many bank statements indicating purchases made with the Guaranty card in Sweden, Spain, and Germany dating from 11/14 to 10/15. Mr. Hamilton further stated that as of 10/16/15, my card would be blocked for Europe, which has left me financially cut off at the knees to finance my stay in Europe.

Someone made a duplicate card and took the money out of my account. I called the bank and manager said I can help if you see me in person. I went there but in the end they called the security to kick me out of the bank. Their system can easily hacked. I have one debit card only. Just not a good bank to put your money in. This bank run on over drafting fees. Paid almost 800 in overdrafting fee since I open the account. This bank needs to close down at at cost. We will Haas for our money which they can take it away any time that want too. Please take all your money out of this bank and close the account. I just don't want this to happen to anyone what they did with me. New kind of scammers can make duplicate cards and take your money out without getting any confirmation call from the bank like other banks do. Please save your money cuz they will not dispute it for you. I will sue them and I'm in it. I work hard for my money..

I feel like it is unfair how they think they can charge you with authorizing a transaction when you really did not. And on top of that I am being charged a fee for closing an account. I asked them to close my account because I don't want to be continuously charge. I have tried to resolve it with them, but nothing is being done.

So I have banked with Guaranty for 3 almost 4 years now and have never had a problem with overdrafts. In fact I have never over drafted my account. However July 2nd an automatic payment went through which was not suppose to go through till the 3rd. They charged me a 37$ fee for overdraft which was not my fault at all. I had to speak with customer service, then their manager and it had to be escalated from there to the corporate managers just to have a fee reversed.

Next I put a stop payment on a check because I had an emergency take place and I live paycheck to paycheck. It cost me 37$ to place this and then they never stopped the payment anyways. When I called the so called corporate office they said that it will take the next business day for it to be waived... okay never had to wait for that before but alright I'll bite. Waited till the next day but when I checked my account it was negative and had an overdraft charge (which would not have been there if they would have reversed the check).

When I called the corporate office they stated that there is nothing they will do to help me. They will not reverse either charge that I have to go into the office and speak with the branch manager. Now I wouldn't have a problem with this except they do not have a branch manager that I am able to speak to because they are never there... yes I will be finding a new bank. What good is a corporate office if they can't do anything. They stole from me and that is bad business all around.

Internet banking is unfavorable. Account continually locks out. Can't reset password without calling customers service or going in a branch and can require talking to multiple people. Can't reuse passwords. Debit cards are frequently compromised for no reason and replaced. Have been with other banks for over 20 years and not have this much difficulty with Internet banking. Also, credit cards, internet shopping, etc., none have a program that you get locked out and have to travel or sit on hold to get a password reset. With today's technology, this should be a simple correctable feature or at least some place online at least to make a suggestion that would help them retain their loyal customers. Banking needs should not be an inconvenience to the people that work.

Visited a Guaranty Bank location in Milwaukee. Place was covered in trash with paper and receipts scattered all over the place. Rude customer service, and they hit my account with a $4 surcharge when I used their filthy ATM.

This Bank has the most horrible customer service!!! DO NOT BANK WITH GUARANTY BANK!!! If you ever decide to bank with this for-profit company, NEVER leave the Midwest because they WILL keep your money hostage. I banked with them for 10 years and didn't have an issue until I left the state. I moved to the west coast and notified the bank in person, TWICE, that I was traveling through certain states. They both penciled it down but I doubt they did anything about it. I broke down in South Dakota, no vehicle, and stranded in a small town. I needed most of MY money out MY account to leave and they refused to allow me to withdraw my money from out-of-state.

I was forced to use my credit card and had to pay a hefty fee. It was biting nails trying to have the very empathetic "Guaranty" bank to give me my money over the phone. They were also very rude and overall mean to me for even wanting my money... This bank really cares for one thing, to cover their ass with fraud and keep your money as tight as they can. Even cancelling my account with them was a painstaking process... PLEASE BANK WITH A CREDIT UNION... they are more helpful, community based, and not-for-profit.

2 weeks ago I went to a branch near my job to make a deposit. The teller distinctly asked me if I would like to close the account or keep it open. She took my deposit and then I went on with my day. The next week, I called my car loan company to make a payment and was told the card used was showing as invalid. I contacted Best Bank and was told that my account closed the day before. They told me to go into the Branch where I made a deposit and speak with the rep I gave my deposit to because she obviously made a mistake and closed my account.

When I went to the bank, while on my lunch break at work; the Branch manager told me that their system showed my account as being open and active when I made my deposit a few days prior. She said she didn't close my account. After calling to the "back office" she learned that my account was showing in the system as open when I opened my account but it was in the process of closing. That made no sense to me. An account is either open or closed. In addition, it to me seems deceptive to show in the system that it is open when it isn't open. At first they tried to make we wait until the next Tuesday to see if I could open another account and then they could release my direct deposit that I had been sent to the account by my employer.

After asking to speak to a Regional Manager at their Corporate office, and receiving help from the Branch manager they opened up another account and rerouted the direct deposit to my account. This was after I was in the Branch for 2 hours trying to get this straight. A few days later, I received a call from the Branch manager stating that because my address was not allowed my account would be closing in 8 days. I tried speaking to a regional manager because I feel that they have been discriminatory against me because I live in an extended stay motel due to relocating to this state recently.

I haven't found housing yet. When my direct deposit hit again they first said that they were processing it. Then, they told me they sent it back to my employer because I had an address that was not allowed. It is the same address I had prior to them closing my other account. I receive all the mail they send me and any notices at the same address and have been for several months. I threatened to contact an attorney and all of a sudden they sent me an arbitration amendment that states I have to go through arbitration if I have a dispute with them.

In addition, I looked online at my account after my job didn't receive the direct deposit as Best Bank stated they would once it was rejected, and they have now put the direct deposit back into my account, sent me debit card and checks. They charged me a $10.00 fee for having the account, and took that out of the balance that is in my account. I just went to the grocery store and the debit card shows that I have a zero balance. But online my correct amount is displayed. Tomorrow, I am going to go in the bank to see if they will give me my money. This bank operates in total confusion! In addition to their unprofessional and discriminatory business practices, they have the nerve to charge and exorbitant amount in fees for using the ATM.

I called the local Guaranty Bank branch to initiate a stop payment on a misplaced check. I knew there would be a fee but didn't realize it would be substantially more than any other bank in the area - I was charged $37!!! This has forced me to re-evaluate why I use Guaranty Bank. After considering the extremely poor service I've encountered over the past 20+ years, access to the lowest interest rates on savings and 0 on checking, NO follow up ever on account activity or account options, limited locations and high ATM charges, I'm excited to say that I'm dumping this loser bank once and for all and moving to a bank that at least offers me a cup of coffee when I come into the branch! Guaranty Bank can stick it!!!!!

Well let me start be saying this bank is awful! Someone went in my account and took 600.00 out! I didn't authorize it, so I called the BestBank and filed a claim. They supposed to call the the people that took my money, when they called them they told them a whole bunch of lies and therefore they didn't return my money! Rent check bounce and my car payment check bounce! I'm so upset about this issue! So I'm closing account out and get a real bank. A bank that cares about their clients and not taking sides with thieves! So don't go setup an account with BestBank. You will be disappointed. And the customer service is awful there! I'm so angry with this bank! They are very stupid and don't know what they are doing. They need to close all of them down immediately!!!

I was a Guaranty Bank customer for about 8 years. Problems started small but continued to grow. At first it was the little things like being unable to talk to a real person on the customer service line. No big deal. But when I got married my wife and I received checks with both of our names on them. Not only would they not allow her to sign her married name absent the marriage certificate (which I can understand), we were told the checks could only be deposited in a joint account (which also needed to be in my wife's married name--as proved by her new social security card that we would not have for 4-6 weeks!!).

Another time, I went to get a cashier's check at 6:00pm from a branch that closed at 6:30. I was informed that the accounts had been closed for the night and I would have to return the next day. Finally, they added a $2.50 surcharge on ATM withdrawals and I had simply had enough. But, Guaranty had one last surprise for me. When I attempted to close my account I was told every person that was named on the account (which included my father because I had been deployed overseas) had to be physically present to close the account. Now, I can't say if this was Guaranty Bank as a whole or just a lousy branch (which was recently closed down) but my entire experience was one headache after another.

I set up an account and used it for a few months. I live check to check so I used the online banking a lot to check balance. Some charges show up, some charges say pending, MOST charges do not show up for days. I had a huge problem with the ones that didn't show up for days, causing overdraft fees. Tried talking to customer service asking why they don't show up at all and they said they could do nothing for me to keep a written ledger. Basically set people up for overdraft fees.

In my few months with this bank I had four overdraft fees. Since switching to US Bank over a year ago. I have never had an overdraft or had a charge not show up for days. It's instant. Do not bank with this horrible bank. The online banking is set up to take money from the people who need it most. Crooks...

I don't even know where to begin. Guaranty Bank is the most incompetent, poorly administered, and customer hostile bank I have ever had the displeasure to do business with. After closing my original branch (Aurora, IL) and then my next assigned branch (Bolingbrook, IL), and then my next assigned branch (Crest Hill), the only reason that I have continued is that the personal bankers have been very helpful and, get this, NICE! And now I am on my way to a branch to get this totally cluster-F of a mobile deposit settled. They close branches and point to their supposed fantastic mobile app as the best way to do business with this POS bank- my check deposit was denied because of "A duplicate check was detected." This is absolute non-sense. I have reviewed the deposit on the mobile app and there is absolutely no way that this could ever be misconstrued as a duplicate check! And there is never any customer service followup to complaints - I HATE THIS BANK!

I was locked out of my online account - my fault because I didn't use the correct password. When I called customer service to reset it for me I was able to provide them with everything but my DNA that was asked for, social, last deposit, last withdrawal. I however did not remember my telephone number from 5 years ago when I opened the account. Give me a break, that's just crazy - they told me that I need to go in the branch and file a new phone number in writing. Customer service has not been one of their priorities since 2005....

November 21st my debit card number was compromised on two gaming websites. Thief made a total of 12 charges that were stopped by both websites before they even made it to my account know this because I talked to both website. Of course if websites did not receive the cash I wouldn't expect them to refund the cash. Guaranty Bank told me automated system automatically sensed that I did not have the money for those charges even though it hasn't came out of my account yet and the automated system started slapping overdraft charges on my checking account. I was told by guaranty bank they could not help me because the money is stuck between the bank in the website, pretty much the same thing the websites told me and yes I agree that is understandable.

I waited a week and the overdraft charges were still on my account. Guaranty Bank gave me back one as a courtesy deal but I was told I had to have proof from these websites in order to remove the other overdraft fee. I canceled my debit card right away like I was supposed to and I went to the bank directly to clear this up. I have emailed guaranty bank’s customer service with my issue but they couldn't help me. I called customer service and when I asked to speak to a supervisor I was put on hold several times by the same lady almost as if she was trying to get me to eat the overdraft. Finally the lady told me they could do nothing because money didn't actually come out of my account from the website but I am still responsible for the overdraft. The two websites sent me apology letters by email apologizing for my debit card being compromised through their website. I emailed those apology letters pretty much clearly stating my debit was compromised. These apology letters were not good enough for Guaranty Bank, they needed exact charges which I told them over the phone, they needed signatures blah blah blah they had a list of things. They can clearly see there was a theft but refused to removed my overdraft. They guarantee to bend you over is what it is.

Of course I ordered a new debit card nobody said anything about charging me anything. Today I find a $5 suspicious charge, it didn't have a check number and I can't use my debit because it’s gone, it was cancelled and I don't have the new one yet. I'm interested to see what this $5 charge is because I don't have any other fancy overdraft protection or theft protection, those are just all more fees that I have to remember coming out of my account. The $5 charge is not something that came from the website because each one listed every charge that was made on my debit and none of them were $5.

I trusted this bank, and they betrayed me! They charge me a late fee twice when they knew a deposit was going into my account. After they took the fee out of my account, I was immediately locked out. Customer service had to reset everything. They wouldn't let me use my original password. Also, I couldn't use my alerts, nor see it. What a dishonest and fraudulent bank! I will cancel my account immediately!

I was sending checks to them for payment only for them to delay processing it so they could try and charge a late fee. Tried to do it electronically and still got late fees. I called my bank that handles my checking account to complain. They said Guaranty was paid on time. My bank called Guaranty to straighten it out and were amazed at the response they received. Guaranty was very hostile to them and couldn't give them a straight answer about anything. My bank apologized to me for it and said they never have had that kind of response ever. Guaranty is a horrible bank to deal with. We got rid of them. If you ever have to do business with them..... turn and run! They will do anything and everything to suck you dry of money. Very shady!!!

I believe in accuracy and truth in writing reviews...Accuracy and truth do not matter to Guaranty Bank. I went to this bank to open a checking account so that my employer could directly deposit funds to me rather than bring me a check every couple weeks. I opened my account with $265 cash. I believed everything would be fine, my account opened with no obstacles or hoops to jump through. This occurred on Saturday October 4th, 2014. On Tuesday October 7th I casually walked to the counter to withdraw $40. The transaction was almost complete. As the teller went to print my receipt and close the transaction is where the trouble began. My account was apparently locked! Why? Because my address was flagged as non-residential (Wells Fargo never had a problem with our address). They apparently couldn't send documents or debit cards to my address. So out of the honesty of my character, I handed MY $40 back to the teller.

I was later told on the phone by one of their customer service voices that I could close my account and get all my funds due to me and never have to worry about this again. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. On Wednesday October 5th, I went to the bank to close my account. Again, the transaction was about to end without a hitch, until the $50 early closing fee. At this point I just told the teller, just give me what you can so I can get the hell out of here. So I walked out with $215. Throughout a month's worth of e-mailing about getting my $50 back with customer service, I had received the following from this bank: my debit card, my bank statement/closing statement, as well as a letter telling me that these items could not be sent to this address. Their last e-mail stated that my money was going to be on its way. (It gets worse...)

After waiting and checking the mail, I sent a message back to the customer service asking where my money is and when it will be sent to me. The next day I get an e-mail back telling me they need verification of my address in order to send a check. Needless to say, another call was put in to Guaranty Bank... a month later. I will say that most of their tellers are kind and understanding.. I'm sure they hear this stuff all day long. But the company needs a drastic overhaul of procedures. 1. If your address is invalid it should be flagged at the time the account is being opened.. not after they get your money and won't let you have it back. 2. If an account is closed within one week of being opened, ANY early closing fee should not apply considering point #1.

This is the absolute worst bank to do any kind of business with. My experience with this rotten bank has been to completely ignore any type of cooperation and even acknowledge they did anything wrong. In the deposit and disclosure notice that are given to any person having a personal checking account, it states that if you are away for an extended period of time and notify us, we WILL extend the time of 60 days to more, to file a claim. That proved to be a bald faced lie. They did not honor it, and further they went to say "you never reached us in time." When every phone call made, and even letters were rebuffed. Then after a whole year elapses, they send my bank statements!! This is when after all these UNAUTHORIZED transactions that I had already disputed caused the account to be overdrawn! They report it to CHEX systems, and yet when I pull the report it is mysteriously paid!!! Yet the amount of loss I suffered was more than that overdraft.

I continued to write, and then presto!! They send me a letter requesting ARBITRATION. Why on earth would I consider arbitration when they are completely at fault. Spoke to an attorney and he said they are limit the amount they have to pay when the court decides. My advice to anyone wanting to do business with a bank....RUN as fast as you can away from this bank!!! The branch that cased this is in Dacula, GA. My feeling is I hope they go our of business or the banking commission after they complete their investigation shutters the doors of this mickey mouse institution, and tosses these rotten second rate creeps on the street. No one deserves this type of treatment and to be ignored, and not even have the courtesy of a reply until over a year later is intolerable, and unacceptable.

The bank screwed me with overdraft charges when my account wasn't negative, my payroll check was on hold and they stacked my account - charged me $80 in overdrafts because they chose clear two payments before my payroll check (on hold for 2 days, "new policy" even though I've never had a payroll check bounce) and charge me $37 each then clear my check even though they all cleared at the same time and my account was NOT negative. I had almost $900 clear at the same time!!!

Customer service can't do anything and bank employees are threatened their jobs if they authorize more than a certain amount of fee reversals regardless of the situation and several employees are gone from where my branch is now. I even opted out of overdraft a YEAR ago and still get charged - excuse this time is that Paypal debits don't count. Terrible predatory bank - I've filed against them to BBB and once this is resolved I'm getting out as quickly as possible. They don't give a crap if you complain - they bribe you to join by telling you that they will give you a sign on bonus then turn around and do all they can to charge you. "Free checking" doesn't really exist with them, you will get a charge for something then you have to fight to get it fixed. I would recommend them to NOBODY.

Just opened an account in June, and only made 2 deposits, and the second one they said was returned for ns funds. So I checked with the bank that it came from and they said Guaranty had cashed it. So I told them that, and they still argued with me. So I got a copy of the check that is stamped that they cashed it, and now I can't access my account over the phone. They say my account and pin number are wrong wtf! DON'T TRUST THIS BANK!

In 2010, me and my fiancee opened accounts with Guaranty bank, as it was the closest, and was also inside the grocery store we used most often. In 2011, we decided to close out our accounts and go with another bank. There was a zero balance when our accounts were closed.

FLASH forward to 2014. Both my sister and my father informed me that they had gotten calls from some shady collector saying I owed the bank money. (For what?) My dad informed me that he had gotten a voice mail from them saying that I owed a balance of 100 dollars, and if I did not pay, law enforcement would be dispatched to my door. After making multiple phone calls and finding out who actually made the call... I threatened reporting them to the state atty general's office, where they hung up on me... and haven't heard back in over a month.

Only thing I can figure is they are trying to stick me with monthly charges because they never properly closed the account, and then had the gall to report me to some Guido tactics using collection agency. I will see them in hell before they ever see a dime from me... legit or not.

I opened an account in 2010 because my friend worked there and she needed people to open accounts. You got a free $10 to spend at the grocery store. I then gave them all my old checks from another bank account I had but didn't use very much and they paid me for them. Then I recruited my brother to open an account and got some money for that. When I finished spending all that money, maybe 6-7 months later (It has been so long I can't remember) I went in and told my friend I wanted to close my account because I didn't use it. She said no worries and that was what I believed to be my break-up with Guaranty Bank. Since then I have moved close to 10 times (student). I get a call in APRIL OF 2014 saying that they were putting a judgement against me for over $300 and that the account was closed by the bank in 2011 with a negative balance.

I never used this account for anything but using the money that had to be spent at the grocery store the bank was in. Apparently my friend never closed the account and I don't know anything about this overdrafting. The lawyer who called me doesn't have detailed account info and the bank that was here closed down a couple of years ago. He said they were sending statements, etc., but I have moved and have had 2 new phone numbers since I thought I was done with this bank. Who do I need to contact about this? Does Guaranty Bank have a legal department? Obviously they sent this to collection and I was told once the lawyer fees are added on, it will be over $600!

I am no longer in contact with the friend that worked there and am not sure how to go about fighting these malicious charges. I don't have any of my account information because it has been years since I thought I had any kind of relationship with this bank. I even remember I had a dollar or two left in it when I asked to close it, but I wasn't worried about it. I don't know if they ever did send me a check for that, but it is clear now that they screwed something up.

Guaranty Bank Company Profile