GE Capital (formerly GE Money Bank)
1.28/5
  • 1 star
Based on 369 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Looking for a loan company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

GE Capital (formerly GE Money Bank)

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 25, 2017

1393 GE Capital (formerly GE Money Bank) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Have card thru Amazon with Synchrony and isn't it coincidental that EVERY TIME when a due date to pay my bill is coming near, their system blocks me from signing on. I get the SAME ERROR message from them that says nothing but 'we are having difficulties try back later'... Well I have been trying to pay my bill now for 2 days, and I've only got 2 days left before it becomes late... SCAM set up by Synchrony to BLOCK customers from paying their bill ONLY as it's due, so that they can collect late fees and interest!? What else can one think, if these ERROR blocks ONLY HAPPEN when one's due date is coming up!... and of course NO ONE EVER addresses the issue, when you report it. It just KEEPS HAPPENING whenever one's due date approaches. WHAT A SCAM OF A CO! AVOID THEM AT ALL COST!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I would like to have this emails from foreign countries caught so they stop making people happy when they promise a long term loan and also they demand your login and password internet logging with the promise that they need it to get paid once a month.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I was contacted via voicemail explaining that I was eligible for a loan, I called (**) back and was speaking with a gentleman named Malcolm. He was starting up the process and then I was handed now to his loan processing manager by the name of Sean **. Malcolm was great, Sean on the other hand, not so much. He would rush me off the phone, over talk me which entailed me not being able to get what I needed answered before rushing me off of the phone. He hounded my phone, meaning I would get call after call and text after text **. There was a deposit of 940$ into my account processed and done by Sean. He asked me what time would I be able to get to a Walmart to be able to transfer back the money to him. Why? I have not the slightest clue, due to him talking way too fast and again rushing me off of the phone.

I told him I can get there as early as 615/630 am (central time). Sean decided to call me at 5 am, waking me up. That is unprofessional and not ok. I received call after call. I bought 850$ (because 940 was deposited into my account 8/2) worth of iTunes cards and scratched the back and sent the codes requested per Sean. After doing so he said that my loan would then be deposited into my account. Well it wasn't. He contacted me later that same day after getting those iTunes cards to say that I had to do it again the next morning because of an insurance in case I happen to not make a payment due to whatever reason: losing a job. I explained my frustration due to me asking him earlier in the morning if the first time was it and did not have to do anything else.

Clearly he does not know or it was a scam. Despite my frustration with having to do this again - which is such a hassle and too much of an inconvenience at the cost of the the consumer - I did it again. He then deposited 1953$ into my account and texted and called again the next morning around 5 am central time - I go to get the cards yet again because HE requested it. I was only able to get 1500 worth of cards due to a spending limit with my bank. My account became frozen, I explained to Sean what was going on, he said I did not have to worry about getting the 400, 10/15 minutes later no I need to get the 400. I was able to get my account unfrozen so I can do what he requested. After doing so I go and get the last 4 cards and email pictures of the codes on the back so he can verify them.

He tells me that the loan would be deposited into my account by 11 am. At the point when he mentioned that, it was roughly 8 am, so 3 hours was not a big deal. I didn't check around 11, I checked around 230 pm and nothing. I got ahold of him, said he would call me back, never did. I texted that same number and no responses, I called and was quickly rushed off the phone, he texted saying I have nothing to worry about and that he would call me soon. It is currently 940 pm and I have not heard a single word. He was hounding me to get things done when he needed/wanted so that I was able to get my loan - which obviously if I'm applying for a loan it means I desperately need it - he went from hounding my phone calling and texting at inappropriate times to ghost.

I feel this is a scam and I (excuse my language) am beyond pissed, that was too much of a hassle for it to be this way. I sincerely hope this is not a scam and that he is just horrible at his job, I spend too much time doing what he demanded. I have two numbers which I already listed above- ** and **, emails used: **. I have receipts along with the iTunes gift cards I've bought, I have emails and texts as well. I again, am highly upset, I counted on that loan, I started making plans to get what I needed done and now I have to undo the plans because of this unnecessary and horrible experience.

This may have been a scam, the more I play it in my head the more it sounds like one, but I'm hoping he's just absolutely horrible at his job and should be dealt with accordingly and this be handled appropriately. Loan application number (GE Money Inc): **. If pictures or screenshots are needed I am MORE than happy to do so. This has been the absolute worst experience and my friends and family will not be lending through them - if this is not a scam. This is the worst customer experience I have ever had and I deal with customers on a daily basis myself and would get fired if I treated customers the way he has done.

Original review: May 29, 2017

I have several accounts with this company and have an overall good experience with them. I see people complaining about accounts being closed for non-use. Well all credit card companies do the same and about the payment due date. If it is not on the day that is good for you can call them and they will change it for you. And I use paperless statements and get every month and the same day. Well before the due date.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I have had several (5) that are carried by Synchrony Bank. I was NEVER late on any of them. I am on Social Security & pay bills when I get those funds, usually by 3rd of the month. Prob here is with a WalMart Card. I paid on the 3rd., it was due on the 25th. I soon find out that payment due is $59, not the regular minimum $25. I was told it was a late charge. One word led to the other & they told me I could not pay before the bill dropped for that month. WHAT??? I'd always paid the same each month. Never late! They would NOT take the fee off or change the prob. to reflect my payment for Feb. '17. They said it would be applied back to the Jan. '17 amount. Well, they took the $$$ from my bank & I've NOT seen it show up anywhere. So, what did they do with the $25 they took & would not apply it like I intended? I paid in good faith for Feb. '17.

Heated phone conversation & heated letters. I could get into my WalMart account page, but it would not let me into the part to make a payment. So, in my comments via mail, I have told them I would NEVER pay that $59 payment they falsely say I owe. And furthermore, I will NEVER pay another payment on the account. It's less than $300. They have damaged my credit already badly & I just no longer care. I am 76 yrs. old & I just cannot let these people do me in like this. I have other things to worry about than this sorry bunch at Synchrony. If you have cards handled by them, get away while you can! Read all the other complaints!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

Terrible company -- They closed my account and didn't even know it. We spent a lot of money with GE, paid off the note, and didn't use it for a while. Called and said account was closed. Hurt our credit rating. Not a good way to do business.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

I opened a JCPenney credit card in May of 2015. I used it as I needed and paid it off immediately! I was inactive for 3 month, practicing good credit common sense, hoping for rewards, instead Synchrony Bank closed my account because I let it go dormant. I tried to get them to explain and the manager [Danniele] told me because I let my account go dormant. The result of them closing my account dropped my credit score by 32 point. This bank should be reviewed for their practice.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

Do yourselves a big favor. Stay as far away from Synchrony Bank as you possibly can. They are thieves. They are rotten thieves, with little to no customer service contact when you want to call them and tell them that you already made your monthly payment, and to stop calling you every other day, with a recording that says, "You did not make your payment," when you have your confirmation number issued by this company every month that you made your payment on time.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

My problem with Care Credit Synchrony Bank is their ridiculous online website. One would think with as many companies they represent for credit that they could have a decent site. I think they intentionally make it difficult to so that the accrued interest has to be paid. I do not use paperless billing as I do not trust this bank to provide. They are so incompetent. And if one does not accept paperless billing, one cannot view statements online. I like to pay online but going forward will have to pay by check. The statements always arrive very late after the closing date with a very small window to get the check written and mailed in a timely fashion, like 3 days.

I always tried to pay the statement right after the time I knew to be the closing date. I started keeping extensive notes as to closing dates, charges and balances as Synchrony could not be relied upon to provide correct information. Every single time I log on I have to change my password as they say my password does not match. Believe me when I say I keep accurate records of my passwords. I have had this account for years and now they are saying my SSN and DOB do not match my account number. I only use this card for medical emergencies. I doubt will use again. I truly believe they make it difficult on the cardholders intentionally.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016
Same thing. This garbage company closed my account after only being inactive for 3 months; stuff like this defeats the purpose of building a credit history. I was never late. I actually paid my balance off early and I was rewarded with a closed account for inactivity of 3 months. I called mysynchrony whoever these broken English speaking people were. I asked "how long would it take before an account is closed for no activity?" The customer service stated "two years of inactivity." Then I asked "why was my account closed for after 3 months of full account payment? I was never late and paid off my complete balance early." She replied she don't know but a letter was sent out. Now I can't even pull up my past purchase history. I only had this card for less than a year thru sweetwaters.

This is totally a waste of trying to build credit when the only thing they did was hurt it. This is the opposite of helping. It's more deliberating destroying credit.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2016

Synchrony Bank charges accounts for fees that hurt consumers, are predatory credit practices, and cause much damage to credit records undeservedly. I would not do business with this bank for any reason or with any retailer who uses their services. If you accidentally miss a payment they will add a large late fee, even if you immediately correct the situation. They continue to add fees while it is in dispute. This is what happened to me and it hurt my credit which cost me a job opportunity and hiring premiums on insurance and other payments. They truly need to be reigned in, but nobody seems willing to do it.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

They sent me an email for my first statement saying it is online. I can't log in because they say my information is not available online. I call customer service and after fighting through the long automated system, I finally get a representative. He is not helpful at all, and in all fairness, me being rude to him probably didn't help. He never helped us, he gave me his scripted answer which didn't apply, and refused to do anything else. I still can't access my statement or my account. I am not sure how I am supposed to pay my bill. I asked for paper statements, but he gave me a vague answer that didn't mean I was going to get a paper statement. What now??? I did what he said, and just as I expected, it didn't work and I am back at square one.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

I'm completely upset with Toys R Us. Not sure why TOYS R US are spoiling their reputation by providing credit cards operated by Synchrony Bank. This bank is useless.. Very very poor customer service. When I talk to customer service, I feel helpless. They don't understand anything. I made a purchase worth 46$ using the Toys R Us card, later I made the payment to Toys R Us via my BofA account but after 3 months I got message from BofA that my transaction got failed.

I have hard time telling Sychrony Bank that I made genuine attempt to repay the amount. I even got the BofA letter issued stating that i made an attempt to repay the amount but the Synchrony bank is not accepting. I don't know how to deal with them. My entire credit history which was well maintained for years got severely impacted because of this incident. I suggest everyone to avoid credit cards issued by Synchrony Bank to avoid nightmare.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

I opened a Belk card with these losers and closed my account a month later. Since then I have been hit with late fees when I still see online payments pending. The funds were deducted from my bank and yet they charge me twice in one month. DO NO BUSINESS WITH THESE CROOKS.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

I had the misfortune of applying for credit with, walmart, amazon, and qvc. It started out, purchases were made and I started paying back immediately. I was hospitalized for 3 weeks and when I started back paying on my accounts, my bill has increased almost $200.00 and when you called or go online you dont see none of your payments and where they get you if dont pay it off in 6 months, they hit you with outrageous penalties. They can never explain what happened to your payments you've made. I tried to send my items back and wipe my account clean. They wont accept anything after 30 days, so you're stuck with them. I'm also thinking about filing bankruptcy on them as well.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

I have never seen a more pathetic excuse for a financial entity. I have at one time held 7 accounts with GE but since Synchrony took over, I have closed all but 3. Closed one tonight. I will stay with reputable, consistent and "human-ran" companies such at Cap One. Synchrony I hope to see your company fall from the skies in a ball of flames. To hell with you!

Original review: July 18, 2016

I have tried to reason with Synchrony Bank. I have asked for payment arrangements. They just will NOT accept any options. When I call, it's like speaking to a robot. I had a very unexpected, very costly car repair and they act like they can't understand. Aren't these people humans? I was given a Toys R Us account, which is weird, because less than 5 yrs ago, I declared bankruptcy.

I charged $26.00 in December of 2015. It was my first and only and last purchase. Now because of late fees, my account is up to $158.00 and if I don't pay that in full by a certain date, they will give me another late fee ($37.00). Isn't there laws about this? I told them, that if they would freeze the account and let me make payments, I can have this bill paid off in 2-3 months. If they won't allow this I will have to declare bankruptcy on this account. Don't these people want their money?? I was given a Care Credit card and just recently, I found out that Synchrony bank is financing this. I closed the account immediately.

Original review: July 7, 2016

I purchased furniture in May 2014 from American Signature Furniture in the amount of $2,166. My monthly payments were to be $61 per month for three years with no interest. At the time I financed through GE Capital Retail Bank. I made my first payment around 06/16/2014 when due. My intention was to pay this purchase off within 2 years. I was making monthly payments in advance for at least a year and never received a late notice.

Once Synchrony Bank took over and I received my first bill from them they stated I was considered late and charged me a late fee. I proceeded to call Synchrony Bank and stated to them I should not be late as I have paid my monthly payment in advance. I called customer service to complain and they agreed to remove late payment from my bill. Unfortunately I continued to get late payments.

I asked how do I avoid these late payments and it was explained to me I had to pay within the 30 billing cycle, they told me when It was okay to make payments. I proceeded to make payments within I thought the 30 day billing cycle and I was still charged late payments. At that time I became frustrated and started to make payments as close to 16th of the month as possible and did not make any additional payments. I paid $61 per month by the 16th of the month. By this time I had a considerate amount of late payments and my monthly payments were increased approximately double to what I agreed to pay each month of $61 per month. I am currently being charged $37 per month in late charges and approximately $10 per month in interest charges.

According to my recent bill my promotional balance is $347.68. If I continue to make $61 a month payment my furniture would be paid off approximately 6 months in advance of the original promotional Expiration Date (06/23/2017). The bill also states my new balance is $772/minimum. Payment is $112/amount past due, $226/total minimum. Payment due is $338. $323.70 in late fees and interest has been added to my balance and this is outrageous.

Original review: July 5, 2016

So, GE Capital Retail Bank - more so Synchrony Bank closed my Amazon account two months ago WITHOUT NOTICE. No letter. No email. No nothing. An account I've had since college, dated 2010. I got cancer in 2014 and kinda lost my mind and body when I went through chemo. So, naturally, I fell behind until I regained my mind. PAID EVERYONE OF MY CARDS owed. NOT ONE CANCELLED ME except Synchrony Bank, my oldest standing card. And I have cards from all kinds of banks American Express, Discover, and Chase. NEVER AGAIN will I bank with Synchrony. Once everything is paid off, I will close every single one of these suckers and eat the credit score hit. I'm only banking with major NON-RETAIL banks now. SCREW YOU Synchrony.

Original review: June 26, 2016

I opened a Synchrony Bank credit card last week with Ashley Furniture, and the process has been a complete nightmare. I went online to see if I had a payment due and noticed that my account was overdrawn. After 4 phone calls I finally learned that Ashley Furniture had charged my card twice, but that is not what I am complaining about.

One of the reps that I spoke with said she was unable to verify my phone number (the same phone number I used to open the account and the same phone number their automated system recognized me as calling from when I called in). The rep then asked me to send her a copy of my ID, my phone bill, a utility bill, and my bank statement to a P.O. Box in Ohio. Basically she asked me to send her every piece of information a person would need to commit a fraud against me. I felt really uncomfortable with this so I asked if it would be possible for me to send the information certified (so someone would have to sign for it), and she declined saying that she was unable to accept the information that way.

I then proceeded to ask if I could fax the information or scan it in and email it directly to the rep, and I was told that I could not. It seems really strange that Synchrony isn't very interested in protecting consumers information, because who would be liable if my information did become compromised? And even stranger that a large company doesn't have access to a fax or computer to receive an email? As a last ditch effort I asked the rep if it would be possible for me to go to my local police department with identification so they could authenticate that I was the account holder, and of course I got another no.

I ended up going to Ashley Furniture and they even attempted to authenticate me which was a no go. So needless to say I cancelled my order and Ashley credited the amount back to my account. As soon as the funds are credited back to my Synchrony I plan to close it. I would not recommend Synchrony to anyone as this has been more hassle than it is worth. The most bothersome issue is why would I care if the account was overdrawn unless it was my account? Seriously? The reps are unable to use any kind of discretion that requires common sense, and it's just plain sad. I hope that this review prevents someone else from falling victim to this type of dealing.

Original review: June 24, 2016

After being a loyal credit card customer with Synchrony Bank for over 5 years, they refuse to remove a negative report from the credit reporting agencies. I was delinquent with ONE payment which was simply an oversight on my end. I accepted responsibility and did NOT LIE about why the payment was late. Once I was notified, the payment was made immediately. I have made my payments on time, always pay more than the minimum, and when I'm able will actually make two payments in the same month.

When I respectfully asked to have their negative report removed in order to improve my credit score, they refused to help and told me the only process at my disposal is to file a dispute with each credit agency. The bank will then respond to each agency. She was clear that the chances of the negative report being removed are slim to none - even all of the red tape "process" is followed. Seems like a massive waste of everyone's time considering my loyalty & positive payment history which includes their ridiculous interest rate.

Original review: June 20, 2016

Synchrony Bank itself takes no accountability for lower my account limits and denying a minor limit increase, although my account has been in a perfect outstanding status for almost 7 years... Since 2010!!! Agent and supervisor (Laura) unable to address and answer questions thoroughly re: account issues. But was extremely good in the "sarcasm" dept. Terrible customer relations... Will soon be a happy, loyal customer elsewhere!

Original review: June 1, 2016

My husband and I purchased furniture from Rooms To Go on 3 different occasions and they stated to us each time that it was zero interest for one year since we were going through Synchrony Bank. Our bill is $153 and we owe $1,116.00. We have paid our bill on time and it didn't seem like our bill was changing so we called Synchrony Bank to find out what was going on with our bill. We should have our things paid off in less than 7 months. When we talked with a representative from Synchrony Bank he didn't want to listen to mathematics. He told us it should be paid off in 20 months. So, you tell me if that's how much we are paying each month why would it take 20 months? Where is ALL of our money going? Bottom line is don't trust them! They lied to us not once but several times.

Original review: May 28, 2016

In 20+ years of having credit cards, I have never seen a bank that is so screwed up, with worse reviews and with such terrible third world country outsourced non-existent customer service. I have never had a credit card report my credit card balance until the monthly statement date has passed. That's credit card 101. Synchrony Bank in the last 60 days on multiple credit cards (Lowe's and Walmart MasterCard) is reporting BALANCES wrongly to all three CB, but my credit card monthly statements that just cut are all at ZERO balance and my next statements aren't for 2 1/2-3 weeks. They already cost me a hard inquiry with a refi because of this major screw up. It's happening to others now as well all over the country.

Your credit scores can and will be negatively affected by this. Say you're like me and run $3,000 a month on a credit card for business and it's no big deal because before the statement date every month you pay off the entire balance so when a credit card company report to the CB's each month it's shows a $0 balance on your credit card. We all know that's how it's suppose to work. But what Synchrony Bank is doing to some credit card holders (not all since it's a glitch in their five cent system) is reporting the $3,000 charged on that credit card BEFORE the due date or statement date each month to all three credit bureaus and even within a couple days of me using their cards is showing up as a balance on all three credit bureaus.

Original review: May 18, 2016

I have submitted various letters and emails of complaint to GE in relation to the sale of PPI linked to a loan provided by them. They have continued to be evasive and blame the matter on a 3rd party, when to all intents and purposes I was under the belief that the people I dealt with were representatives of their company and indeed the literature/form I signed would also suggest this. Has anyone else had similar problems? I now intend to raise my grievance to the highest level of the company and to pursue my grievance on whatever sites may help me obtain what I believe is my rightful compensation. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Original review: April 24, 2016

Walmart had raised my credit limit, then sent a new MasterCard issued by Synchrony Bank under Walmart's banner without my requesting it, then, as I tried to make hefty sums of payments on time, Synchrony rejected my banking information online, refused to accept my payments online several times, payments of $500.00, then $100.00, probably due to some computer glitch on their end though my bank says everything is fine and even went to Walmart to physically make a payment before the due date. And then afterward, without warning or correction on their part, closed my account without notice whatsoever. I don't need Synchrony, nor their rude foul treatment and lack of human contact to speak with.

I cannot solve this issue so far for over a month because they fail to route my payments due to some system error, not mine! I have high limits on 6 other high-end cards and don't need their headaches! I choose to settle this issue by paying in full, then never using their services ever again, however, they won't allow me to speak with a human without ungodly waiting times on hold! I have good credit, worked hard to get it too, and Synchrony Bank's ridiculous computerized customer service is quite off-putting, rude, and almost impossible without spending my entire day waiting for a human being! I've never had such an issue with any other creditor! Will never allow them to have any say in my life or financial affairs again! Beware!

Original review: March 29, 2016

You know its bad when these slimy POS credit bank companies prey on the people who need dental work or your pets need vet service and they charge outrageous rates and if you don't get the account paid off in a year they latterly double charge you. I had like $300 left to pay on my bill and next thing you know boom I am looking at over 1000 dollars when I only borrowed $800. WTH, don't get a card or loan or bank with these blood suck jackwipes. I have tried to contact them online and tried to make a payment but I can no longer log into their system so I am sure they gave me a huge ding on my credit.

Original review: March 28, 2016

I had an Amazon credit account. I closed my account 2 years ago in order to pay it off and have no further purchases made via credit card. My balance was around $2,500. Despite on time payments and paying more than the minimum my balance is currently 2,373.72. Bank records indicate I have paid them over $2,500. In fact my balance has gone up the past couple months. I have filed with the BBB and am not done filing complaints. CSR said I was paying a security fee... Um no, never authorized that, and my account has been closed to purchases for 25 months.

Original review: March 26, 2016

This bank, which is infamous for high interest rates and constantly changing terms, took over CareCredit about 18 months ago. Beware, they are less than a stellar bank. They do not offer insurance on their cards, charge high interest rates and if you fall on hard times as I have, will harass you to death, and play every game in the book to get money out of you. A little hard when you are unemployed and receive no benefits. First they will call all hours of day and night every few days, then send threatening letters, and then the newest game is sending you a phony civil suit in order to get you to call. When you do, it is a collection agency.

A lawsuit would have a docket number which theirs doesn't. I am checking as to the legality of this, as I feel what they are doing is not legal, and if so, will file a complaint with the state attorney general's office. Avoid this bank and CareCredit at all costs. They are not worth your time of day. What they fail to want to understand, is you can't print money when you are unemployed. Do the right thing and offer your customers insurance. But that would cut into this bank's bottom line, since they thrive on fees, aprs and other nonsense. More of a second chance Bank like First Premier.

Original review: March 18, 2016

Was approved for a 4,000.00 loan with a 4.6 rate and to be honest the guy I talk to I could not understand a word he was saying and he was rude. And what I'm reading is that I'm glad I didn't... This company must be really bad. Glad I didn't get a loan. Playing it safe!!!

GE Capital (formerly GE Money Bank) Company Information