1.05/5
Based on 19 reviews that contain star ratings

25 Free1040TaxReturn.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

I used this company to file what should have been an easy return. The return indicated that I was due a refund of %100 of what I had deducted. This didn't seem right to me, but, regrettably, I hit "send". My income is Social Security and withdrawals from an IRA. I started having doubts the next day and had many e-mail exchanges with their so-called "customer service", who repeated over and over again that they are always right. Today I went to a tax preparer I have used before - and should have used this year.

He INSTANTLY saw their error: Their return did not move my Social Security and IRA income into the "taxable" column, even though they had the figures I gave them and listed them as income. Now I have to file an amended return, for which I have paid $165, and wait to see if the bogus refund comes through. If it does, I have to send in a sizable check because my legitimate refund is much lower than the bogus one. I would not use this company if they paid me to, and I cannot believe the IRS sends people to them. STAY AWAY.

Original review: March 13, 2019

My husband and I spent a lot of time answering questions, hoping to see our forms generated for filing our federal return at the end of it all. A screen advised us to review our entries, but we could not see the actual forms generated by the software until AFTER it was submitted to the IRS!! At that point, we discovered a gross error in the software wrongfully generating schedule 5, putting the amount for general sales tax as amount prepaid from last year's return!!

I wrote a message to customer service about this issue, clicked "Submit Question", and was told I'd been logged out. The back arrow would not go back to my message, so I had to log in and type it up all over again. They responded the same day, saying it is impossible to submit a return without being taken to the screen that allows you to view your forms. My husband and I were both looking at the screen, and I am good at catching details. We were LOOKING for the forms, but they were not there, so we clicked "Next" thinking they must be on the next screen. Customer service did not work to resolve our issue at all.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: March 11, 2019

I filed my federal through them a month ago, but there is no movement at all on my refund. To at least check on the possibility of any potential transmission or technical problems on the part of this filing site, I contacted them. I told them I had been waiting a really long time for my refund, and I asked them one simple question: "is there any chance at all that there could be some kind of technical error with your site that could have prevented the IRS from receiving a proper filing?" Their response was "contact the IRS." That's all - there was no more in their response. Clearly, their answer had absolutely nothing at all to do with my question and there was no attempt at all to address that question.

I wrote them back and explained that they didn't address my question and asked it again. Their response was "We are not the IRS and do not have access to those systems. All we do is efile your return. You need to contact the IRS." Yet again, they did not answer my question. I wrote them once again and, this time, their answer was "If there was an issue the IRS would not have accepted the return. Again YOU need to contact the IRS." AGAIN, they did not answer my question! In my response, I said that addressing the specific technical question I was asking ABOUT THEIR SITE to the IRS was not going to give me an answer about THEIR site, so could they please answer my question.

This time, they got VERY SNARKY and mean and wrote "We HAVE answered your question. What you do not seem to want to understand is that we have no control over the IRS and once a return has been accepted by the IRS they give us no further information. We have told you repeatedly exactly what you need to do yet for some reason you do not want to do it, that is not on us that is on you." Honestly, this is THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER RECEIVED IN MY LIFE (and I'm in my 50s, and I've been on the receiving end of some really bad customer service)! If you read these reviews (which I didn't - I wish I had!), do yourself a great big favor and go somewhere else to do your filing. This site is garbage and the people it employs are angry idiots who treat you like garbage.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

This service seems a bit sketchy - not user friendly & customer support is worse than god-awful. The Fed 1040 was not impossible to complete since my return was not very complicated. Got my Fed refund within 10 days. I have been waiting for the State of MI return to become available. After contacting support trying to get a date when the state return would be available. No date after submitting the question WHEN 3 times. Now I am aware that I CANNOT efile my state return because it needs to link to the Fed return. My only recourse is to pay to use an electronic form, save as a PDF and mail to my State. I will not use this service in 2019 and actually worry about the integrity of this company. Hope my Fed data is safe.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I used this site last year and it seemed good. Towards the end of 2018 I received a letter from the state revenue service stating that there was an error and I was given a check for a small amount of money. I just figured it was me. Well, this year I was filing with them again and had major things missing. It didn't seem right after the federal taxes were done so I went to another site and lo and behold, it was off by $1,079. I tripled checked with 3 different sites, 2 being major companies, and all 3 had the same total. My taxes aren't major so I am scared to imagine what they have done to other people. I will be spending some time later looking at last year's return as well and hopefully, I am not too screwed because of them.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not trust this site. This is your livelihood they are messing with. TurboTax seemed to work well but they kept hiking the price up as I went through it and did not lower it back down when I removed something they were charging more for. H&R Block did the same with the continuous price hikes but was cheaper than TurboTax but they were $80 shorter than the other two sites I used. I ended up going through Credit Karma. The site is a bit confusing at first but it was free and did just as good as the other 2.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Free1040TaxReturn.com?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I used this program for my 2018 tax return which could have been easily filed as a short form. The Federal section is easy to use (as it should be for short returns) and computed correctly. I asked that my refund be applied to next year's taxes and herein lies a software glitch. The State section (AZ) automatically applied my state refund to next year's taxes rather than giving me the option of receiving a refund - SERIOUS FLAW that the company will not acknowledge. USE THIS PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I used this site a few years ago with no problems that I can recall. This year I can't even begin the process of filing the 1040. The first page is just blank! When I try to use some of the buttons like "NEXT" it just kicks me back to the home page to log back in again. I tried to use the HELP option to no avail.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

When using this site, you must answer a series of questionnaires so that the site can then query you for the relevant information to fill out the tax forms. As I filled out the forms, I realized there was no place in the questions that the website provided for me to add my SEP contribution (should go online 28 on Form 1040). I messaged them at least 4 times, spelling out my problem and all I ever got was that the forms were correct for the information I had supplied. I made it clear that I must have made a mistake in filling out the initial questionnaires and asked them to show me what I should change to get their site to ask me for my SEP contribution. Their answer was still the same, that the forms were correct for the information I had supplied. An incredibly frustrating experience. I had to fill out forms by hand.

Original review: April 18, 2018

This online free service is the worst is not even free. It is a scam. I am still waiting to see if my return was accepted or rejected. I feel hopeless. You cannot get any answers with them. DO NOT FILE TAXES WITH FREE1040TAXRETURN.COM.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Bad experience waiting for refund, no email notifications of receiving income tax filed. Very dissatisfied w/ the whole experience, should of paper filed. H&R Block was much easier last year but did not use this year because fee w/ extra paperwork. Next year I am H&R Block. I have received no info from these people.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I was able to do my 2015 return with no issues (at least it appeared okay). However, when I did my 2016 return, I did not receive the Michigan Property Tax Credit ($1200 refund), which is from MI Form MI-1040-CR. I ended up going through the process six (6) times (without making any changes) and then finally, the Property Tax Credit appeared as did the Schedule (MI Form MI-1040-CR) that needs to go with my taxes. My return also needed to include Schedule MI Form MI-1040-CR7. It got produced, but when I would click on it, I would get "Server Error - 404 - File or directory not found. The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable." There is no phone number to call, just a really stupid way to send a message. It says all questions will be answered within 24 hours. But it has been 72 hours and still no response. I have contacted them now 3 times. I want my money back.

Original review: April 21, 2017

This is the first time I've used this company. My return was rejected by the IRS due to inaccurate prior year AGI. However, I have the copy of last year's return (filed on fillable forms with e-file) and the AGI I reported was correct. I have written this company several times and gotten generic non-answers. I tried resubmitting to no avail. There is no phone number to call, no person to actually speak to. I cannot find out what happens if I just send in paper forms at this point. Not a good experience, to say the least.

Original review: March 23, 2017

I had my return almost complete, saved it and closed the page. I went back a week later, and again the next day and again another week later, and each time that I login, it pulls up a blank page. There's no phone number to contact anyone, and their free customer representative must not exist. I tried the Help tab and it led me through a form that only allowed me to set up a new password in order to get in. Finally found a form to complete and got an email back that said my "response" was on the website in a message. Went to the website, and guess what? Another blank page! No customer service or way to communicate with company.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I wish I had read the reviews before starting my return with Free1040TaxReturn. Beware! There is nothing free from this company. AFTER you've entered all your info, they ask for money to complete the return. Also received a rejection due to a JavaScript (!) error. My computer settings were correct. They will also charge you to re-submit.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

We received back a notice that the tax return was rejected due to wrong gross adjusted income. Went back on to this website and verified the amount was correct so then chose the PIN# (that we printed from this site last year). I then received a notice that it was still rejected. There wasn't any explanation that we would be recharged if it was rejected. Tried to verify what the information was but all it wanted to do was to charge me! I tried to get back to see what the problem was but it wouldn't allow you to go back. I then figured see if it would print then it did. Now I have no option to file online and customer service wouldn't help. I received short, snotty answers from whatever rep answered. I would recommend using a better service than this!

Original review: April 18, 2016

I was dissatisfied with the tax prep website "Free1040TaxReturn.com". I found the data entry and navigating inflexible and clumsy. Getting locked at the end... I ended up re-entering all the data on another site recommended by a family member. Don't waste your time with "Free1040TaxReturn.com".

Original review: April 18, 2015

I filed my taxes on the 15th of April. I did not print my taxes just in case the return was rejected, didn't want to have to print twice. I paid for the services 39.99 as I did not qualify for the free e-file. My son also filed his taxes through them. Came home on the 16th to check if they had been accepted and come to find out the website is under construction and can't access anything. There is no phone number, no email to contact them either. So now is the 17th and I'm panicking! Called the IRS and I can't get through. The recorder says they have a high volume of calls and to try another time. I don't know what to do.... File again, wait... I don't know and it's both of our returns, my son's and mine. The worst part is they were under the IRS website as one of the referred to prepare your return with. Out of ideas, I'm just worried because I don't know if they just wanted my payment and personal information. Is it identity theft?

Original review: April 11, 2013

It may be one of the worst on-line tax return sites I have ever used. After I filed, it was rejected. I had a difficult time finding out why it was rejected, and then was charged an additional $11.00. I will not use this site again.

Original review: April 16, 2012

Filing a return - I tried to e-file my daughter's tax return. Before I could review and submit, I asked a question and logged out. Now the site won't let me get access and I don't know if the returns were filed or not.

Original review: March 8, 2011

I filed my Illinois state tax return on the free 1040 tax return inc website and had an error on the signing page. The website informed me of the error, but will not make my return available for me to correct it. I have paid them for the service by debit payment.

There is no phone contact for assistance and the company will not email me back. I filed 02/27/11, so my papers should be available. They should have a browser next to the message for access the information that needs to be corrected. I'm concern that my information is in the right hands.

I have paid for an incomplete service and I will have to file my state tax again. I would like for someone from the company- a person to let me know where my information is.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2011

I completed my Federal and California State Tax Returns with this Business on Line. I have tried to get a copy of my Tax Returns from the site but it does not allow access. They state that the password and name do not match (of course, they do). I feel so helpless trying to get copies of my returns! I also received nothing stating that they had filed my state return! I do know they did get the money! Why is the IRS allowing them to do business under the IRS Name! Please let the public know about them!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2011

I filed with this company for electronic return with direct deposit. I could not get a copy of return for four days. When I was finally able to print my return, I saw that they did not do my direct deposit and it was to be mailed in three weeks. I was not expecting 8 to10 days as with direct deposit. I have not gotten an answer from them explaining why. I needed the money to pay rent and bills as I am laid off from work.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2010

I e-filed 2009 taxes through Free1040TaxReturn.com. They made an error on one of the schedules and IRS rejected the return. I contacted their customer service four different times and have never received a reply. Of course they have charged me for this incompetent work and I must refile. This company should not be allowed to offer services.

Original review: April 10, 2010

This tax service was listed on the IRS site as well as on Yahoo. The description said, people with less than $28,000 income can use the site to file for free. I spent an hour and a half on my brother's return, then they charged $40. If I had filed earlier this year, I wouldn't have paid, but I have two more returns to do, so I felt I had no choice. $40 for a service that was supposed to be free.

Original review: March 20, 2010

I used Free 1040 Tax Return.com, Inc. online to file my federal and CA state taxes. I requested customer service to assist me in printing out a copy of my federal return over 10 times with no answer to correct the problem. I have already paid $39.95 for this service. There is a problem with the login process that does not allow me access to print a copy of my federal return. I needed a copy for a court appearance and was fined $100.00 in fees because I was unable to present a copy of my federal return. I used the website on Wednesday, March 17, and still have not had a solution to my problem. I recommend Free 1040 Tax Return.com, Inc. to pay me for my $100.00 fee, and be removed from the official IRS referred list.

Free1040TaxReturn.com Company Information