2. Mortgages

5.0/5 (36 ratings)

About First Internet Bank

First Internet Bank offers a variety of loan programs to fit borrower needs, including fixed, ARM, jumbo, FHA, VA and home equity products. All its services are online, so its loan applications are available 24/7. Most First Internet Bank accounts come with a free ATM card.

Pros

• Free debit cards
  • All services available online
  • High-yield interest on some accounts

Cons

• No physical locations
  • Maintenance fees for most accounts

Bottom Line

First Internet Bank is a full-service online bank. It offers personal and business banking services and mortgages including fixed, ARM, jumbo, FHA, VA and home equity loans. It’s available in all U.S. states and territories.

Top First Internet Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

FIB provides very competitive rates. I have worked with Chris ** three times now. Once for my original home mortgage… Again early in 2020 to explore interest rates for refinancing...

Verified

Quickest and easiest refinance I have ever done. Derek ** was always available, always patient, and kept me informed throughout the process. I would not hesitate to use them again...

What is First Internet Bank?

First Internet Bank is a full-service bank that operates entirely online. It has no physical branch locations, though its personal banking customers get access to fee-free ATM transactions across the country. The company offers an array of personal banking services, business services and mortgage loans to help customers with just about any banking need. Its mortgage options include fixed, ARM, jumbo, FHA, VA and home equity loans.

First Internet Bank mortgages

First Internet Bank offers a wide variety of services for both personal and business customers. It has mortgage options for homebuying, building and refinancing. Its home loans include:

• Conventional fixed-rate loans
  • Adjustable-rate loans
  • FHA loans
  • VA loans
  • Jumbo loans
  • Home equity loans
  • Home equity line of credit (HELOC)

Its loan officers can help find the right borrowing option for you. First Internet’s website also offers mortgage preapprovals and a loan portal for managing your home loans.

First Internet Bank mortgage rates

Mortgage rates fluctuate daily, so it’s difficult to say what rates to expect with First Internet Bank. Inflation, economic growth, market conditions and other factors all determine mortgage rates at any given time. You can find mortgage rate calculators online to help you get an idea of what to expect. First Internet does offer free rate quotes, making it easier to compare rates from several companies before committing to a mortgage lender.

First Internet Bank FAQ

Where is First Internet Bank available?
First Internet Bank is licensed to do business in all 50 states and the U.S. territories. The company’s Indiana state charter lets it operate much like a national bank charter.
Does First Internet Bank offer traditional banking services?
Yes, First Internet Bank offers many traditional banking services, including checking and saving accounts, mortgages, credit cards and more.
What types of mortgages does First Internet Bank offer?
First Internet Bank offers several types of mortgages: conventional fixed-rate loans, adjustable-rate loans, FHA loans, VA loans, jumbo loans, home equity loans, and home equity line of credit (HELOC).
Does First Internet Bank have refinancing services?
Yes. First Internet Bank lets you apply for refinancing online to potentially lower your rates or shorten your loan term.

Is First Internet Bank legit?

First Internet is a legit online full-service bank. It lets you manage checking, savings, credit cards and more from its mobile app or website. Because it has no physical branches, be prepared to deal with any issues online or over the phone. It’s important to shop around to ensure you find the right benefits and services for you — that said, if a fully online borrowing experience appeals to you, First Internet Bank is a good choice overall.

First Internet Bank Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Internet Bank?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

First Internet Bank provided a very good rate and a smooth experience for our first mortgage. After seeing the rate on their website, I called and spoke with loan officer Grant **, who confirmed the rate and was quick in providing us a full loan estimate. Throughout our communication he was professional, courteous, and extremely prompt, usually replying within five minutes. As soon as we had decided on the loan, he ordered the appraisal, making sure we got it on time even in a busy market. He kept us informed about the progress of the loan, and we got the approval with time to spare and worry-free. We closed on time and the costs matched the estimate. I recommend First Internet Bank and Grant's team with full confidence.

First Internet Bank response

We’re glad our team was able to make your experience a 5-star one. Thanks for the review, Marius!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Closed on Mortgage Refinance with money back. Recommended by a family member with FIB for promptness, competitive rate and closing cost. Mr. J. ** was excellent to do business with. His instructions and communications were clear to the point. Corresponded in a timely fashion. I did encountered issues causing delays in closing due to communication issues with the closing department, but Mr. ** facilitated dialogues among the team and myself to move forward more fluidly. I would highly recommend doing mortgage related business with Mr. ** and FIB. Thank you.

First Internet Bank response

Hi MiMi! We know refinancing your home online can be a little intimidating, but like you now know, our team makes sure you’re comfortable by providing great support and an easy, clear process. We’re glad to have been able to make your experience a 5-star one and look forward to working with you again soon!

Original review: July 8, 2021

We recently refinanced our mortgage and after calling 4 places, called Kathy ** at First Internet Bank and received the most competitive rate. Working through the process took a lot of time (as it would with any firm) but the computer system was helpful to take me through every step and highlighting any outstanding tasks. Any questions that I had were answered with a quick response to my inquiry by Kathy ** who is professional while being very friendly. The process from start to finish was great and I am saving almost $400 per month on my mortgage.

First Internet Bank response

Hi Diane! We’re glad our team was able to provide a 5-star experience for you, and we hope to be able to give you that same top-notch service in the future!

Original review: July 8, 2021

My Realtor was hesitant when I wanted to use First Internet Bank, since he never heard of it, but they were easier to work with than the local bank and mortgage broker, and beat the closing estimate date by 2 weeks. Plus they saved us thousands in closing costs and had the best interest rate by far. Our Senior Loan Officer, Max **, is very friendly and easy to work with. He is a great communicator, was always accessible and quick to respond, and was on top of everything. He made the process very simple, and worry free.

First Internet Bank response

A quick, easy loan process AND great customer service? Sounds like you had a great experience, Jason. Thanks for sharing!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

The refinancing process was easy and efficient. This is the third time I have used First Internet Bank. I have used Rick ** as my agent all three times and have always received great service. Everyone who supported the process were very efficient as well. The appraiser and the notary which were sent to my home were very professional and worked around my schedule. All around received great service.

First Internet Bank response

A quick and easy refinance process, along with excellent customer service? You just can’t beat it! Thanks for choosing First Internet Bank a third time, Larry!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Thomas and the entire team did a great job! Great response speed to questions, very clear communication. I saved literally tens of thousands in interest and cut my rate almost in half. Great work by FIB, highly recommend!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

This process was so easy, they work with you every step of the way. You don't feel like working with a big bank but instead they make you feel like you have one or two people working just for you. Great Experience!!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

From the mortgage loan application process to closing, and every step along the way, Ryan went above and beyond to help with our mortgage loan. He answered every question immediately and kept us posted throughout the process, continually checking in. The quick turnaround from Ryan and First Internet Bank for our pre-approval and offer made it possible for us to purchase a home in an extremely competitive seller's market where timing was critical. We are so appreciative - thank you!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I have known Mark ** for several years and we recently closed on a purchase transaction with him. He is easy to work with and we got the best rate from First Internet Bank. Thank you Mark for your assistance.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

My only criticism of First Internet is that their internal people aren't as quick to respond or as patient as Ray. Even though my refinancing has been completed, I am still getting notifications from their internal people asking me for additional information or to do additional tasks.

First Internet Bank response

Bill, your input helps a lot! We always strive to improve. Thank you for taking the time to share and are sorry for any inconvenience caused by the notifications.

First Internet Bank Company Information