Edward Jones

Edward Jones Reviews

About Edward Jones

Edward Jones is a wealth management and advisory company that offers a variety of investment accounts and services. With Edward Jones, you have access to in-person financial planning with a professional advisor and some basic online account management tools. Just compare its fees and commissions to the competition to be sure you’re not overpaying.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Access to banking features
    • Investment services
    • Personalized, in-person advice
    Cons
    • No brokerage account monitoring
    • Commission and trading fees

Featured Reviews

Verified
    Plano, TX

My financial advisor is very detailed and keeps an eye out for my portfolio. He has annual meeting with me, and keeps me abreast of the market tribulations. … He is approachable …...

Verified
    Hastings, Minnesota

We love our financial advisor through Edward Jones. He has been so awesome through everything. My husband retired in November 2019, and our financial advisor has been so helpful. ...

What is Edward Jones?

Edward Jones is a traditional wealth management company with financial advisors across the country. The company provides comprehensive investment services, including:

• Retirement accounts, such as traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, Roth conversions and 401(k) rollovers
    • Education savings, such as 529 plans, custodial accounts, Coverdell education savings accounts and zero-coupon bonds
    • Investments, such as stocks, bonds, mutual funds investments, ETFs, CDs and unit investment trusts
    • Insurance products and annuities, such as life insurance, long-term disability insurance and long-term care insurance
    • Cash and credit accounts and services, such as money market funds, credit cards, loans, savings accounts, bill pay services and check writing

Edward Jones also offers financial planning for business owners and self-employed individuals who want to save for retirement or need assistance with cash management.

What does Edward Jones do?

Edward Jones partners clients with financial advisors who guide investment decisions and assist with formulating wealth management plans. Edward Jones works with you to develop an investment portfolio based on your individual needs, financial goals, time horizon and risk tolerance. The company selects and recommends investments based on its analysis of publicly traded stocks, bonds and mutual funds by track record, debts, cash flow, credit risk, people, process and geography.

With a traditional brokerage account, you take on the role of building and managing your portfolio with expert advice from a personal financial advisor. You pay a commission fee for buying and selling certain investments.

You can also choose an advisory solutions account to allow Edward Jones to take care of day-to-day portfolio management. The program fee for the advisory solutions account includes financial advisor services; trading costs; performance reporting; the evaluation and selection of investments; and other personalized services. Edward Jones also offers a comprehensive client consultation group that works with your CPA and attorney to address your situation and align strategies.

Edward Jones fees

Edward Jones charges differently depending on what services you use:

• It charges a commission on trades up to 2.5% of the principal amount or a minimum of $50 per trade. Most trades also incur a $4.95 transaction fee.
    • Sales charges ranging from 2.25% to 5.75% apply to mutual funds, 529 plans, variable annuities and fixed-income mutual funds.
    • Its advisory solutions program fee begins at 1.35% of your total investment, but the portfolio strategy fee is 0.09%.

Edward Jones FAQ

Where is Edward Jones available?

Edward Jones is available throughout the U.S. Not all services are available in all areas, though. Visit its website to find an office location near you.

Does Edward Jones have in-person services?

Edward Jones specializes in in-person financial advising and wealth management services. Visit a local branch to meet with an Edward Jones financial advisor.

Can I sign up for Edward Jones online?

Yes, you can meet with a financial advisor via web conference or in person to sign up. Online account management tools are available too.

What kinds of investments does Edward Jones deal with?

Edward Jones deals with stocks, bonds, mutual funds, annuities, college savings, retirement accounts, ETFs, CDs, unit investment trusts and fixed-income investments. The company also handles trusts and estate planning.

Is Edward Jones good?

While Edward Jones fees are higher than those from many robo-advisors, clients enjoy the benefits of having a dedicated financial advisor working with them on the details of their investments and managing their finances with the bigger picture in mind. Banking features such as online bill pay, check writing and personal lines of credit allow you to manage finances conveniently. For customers who want a personalized, in-person approach to wealth management, Edward Jones offers one-on-one financial advising at its local branches.

Edward Jones Reviews

Stars Rating

• 6%
    • 0%
    • 0%
    • 9%
    • 84%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Edward Jones?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Edward Jones?

Reviewed May 9, 2024

You do not want to use Edward Jones for anything, whether for your own account for retirement or one you plan on leaving behind they will not turn the account over at the time of death even with proper documents

Customer Service

Reviewed May 9, 2024

Would never recommend. A check was to be mailed to me in Arizona last week from Fairmont, MN. I called them after the check wasn't here in a week. I got a response from Amy in the office that the check was never mailed. I'm glad sending people their money is no issue for them but it is for me as I'm waiting for a large check. Worst service ever. And I love not getting a phone call but a text at 545am. What kind of service is that? Never go here unless you don't want to receive your money. The WYMAN ** office is a joke.

Get buying tips about Financial Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed May 8, 2024

Financial Advisor has little to no knowledge of the financial world. Requested my money to be moved from his bad investments & ignored my repeated request. In the end, I lost money by trusting the advisor!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed May 6, 2024

I inherited my EJ account from a family member. I liked the first advisor I was assigned and had no issues. All of a sudden a letter comes in the mail that I've been assigned to another office. No courtesy phone call to advise me. I would appreciate having a choice about what advisor/office I wanted. Wasn't happy with the next advisor. Not a good match personality-wise. He assigned me to someone else who was a better fit and I had no issues with her. I'm recently retired and decided to close my EJ account and do a Direct Rollover to the bank. Let me tell you when you want to close your account they will delay as long as possible. Started the process on 3/25 with forms being given to my advisor that same day.

After a couple weeks, nothing had happened. Tried calling the corporate customer service number. They were no help. All they do is transfer you back to your advisor. Was told it will be another 10 - 15 days. Finally on 4/25 everything was sold off and check arrived at credit union on 4/30. During all this delay, my account lost $3700 in value. Earlier this year, my husband closed his 401K account at Fidelity and did a Direct Rollover. That was accomplished by a simple phone call and we had the rollover check in our hands in 2 days. If you haven't invested yet and have a choice, I would think long and hard before using EJ.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed May 3, 2024

Edward Jones encourages its customer service reps to lie to the company's customers...These folks are always ready to charge huge fees, but when it comes to getting your money, every single member of this company only offers lies, excuses and words like soon...I reported the lies I was told to the company, but sadly, I was never contacted by a supervisor...So, a lack of integrity and lies are a part of Edward Jones...Don't even think about investing with these thieves...If you do, you will certainly regret it

Reviewed April 16, 2024

My wife died March 21 and Edward Jones will not give me the money from her account. I said right away I wanted to close the accounts. They keep delaying the transfer. I was told they will get to it. I was told I had to make a new account to transfer the money. More details.

Reviewed April 2, 2024

This review is for Christine ** Edward Jones advisor in Palatine Il. My Edward Jones advisor retired recently and Christine was assigned my account. Now I don't have a lot of money, but when I met with Christine it not only was a smooth transition but she also made me feel like I had a lot more money than I do. I was very pleased and feel I'm in good hands for the future. I would strongly recommend Christine to my family, friends, neighbors and anyone who might read this. Great job Christine!

Reviewed March 28, 2024

I reside in Canada and had/have been a client of Edward Jones for 15 years. My original advisor just left in the dark of night so to speak. He had made some bad decisions and lost a lot of money - so he left the firm. The next advisor stayed for a couple years then moved on. My current advisor has been more stable, and mostly helpful.

My issue with EJ has always been the fees that are charged. Here in Canada the commission can be as high as 2.5%. Beyond that there are additional fees - like yearly account management fees, transaction fees, and 3rd party fees. By the time all these fees are included the rate of return on investments is very poor. My average 10 year return is under 5% while the EJ average is 20%. My wife just transferred her Savings account out of EJ and was charged $185 in fees. She made around 1.6% on her one year investment after fees.

Price

Reviewed March 27, 2024

Save your time and frustration, use another broker firm. They will not completely fill out your tax forms. How much you invested and when will be blank, even if you only purchased once and let it ride for a year or so. It will cost you your money of your taxes. Oh and the offices are not connected so don't move. If you do you cannot get any help from another office. No issues with our Fidelity tax form.

Profile pic of the author.
        Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed March 14, 2024

My experience with EJ has been nothing but the worst and I would never recommend such a cookie cutter organization to anyone that would like to have a Financial advisor manage their funds. After (3) plus years I'm barely breaking even, you only hear from them if things are positive. Do not buy their guidance as to expected returns if they manage your account, they lied and never came close, not even remotely close to what their experts say you should expect. They collect their fees no matter what, while you lose. Fact, my wife's account made less money than the advisor managing her portfolio.

We decided to change brokerages and they have absolutely slow walked our funds, waiting two plus weeks for them to make the transfer, and no a word from my local branch other than "These things can take some time". When I inquired I was informed they had not received the documents for the transfer, a day later when I provided confirmations, she then said, oh, I see it now, it can take our corporate awhile to process but it's now in motion, but corporate holds the funds and it's out of our control.

Today, a week later I contact EJ corporate and they say they will need to contact my local office. Total run around. I then professionally advised the corporate individual that my experience with EJ has been nothing positive, she told me that she doesn't listen to complaints and I would need to send to the complaint department. I would Stay Away because I honestly do not feel they care about you and your financial situation, my opinion is that they are more about what's in it for themselves and the next trip they are planning to take.

Take a Financial Advisor Quiz.

Edward Jones Company Information