Ditech Financial
1.09/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Ditech Financial

We are in the business of helping Americans realize the dream of home ownership. The irony is that while buying a home can be a joyful and uplifting experience, getting a mortgage can be anything but. We aim to change that.

Our purpose: securing the American Dream

Our approach: helpful, responsive, efficient and fair

Our values: honesty, responsibility, transparency and creativity

Our promise: to put your needs first!

View More View More

3208 Ditech Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

They took possession of a home through a Foreclosure Auction Sale. They trying to re-auction it. Meanwhile, the previous tenant is living with their water turned off and created a lien. They do nothing to evict. Their auction properties must be terrible when they allow destructive people to stay there after they win title. Be very wary of bidding high on their properties, some may live up to the AS IS, WHERE IS listings. It is bringing down the neighborhood. I've tried to contact them and can reach no one, especially someone who cares. Be careful when becoming involved with them.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Be advised that Ditech may not automatically send you any positive escrow balance after you pay off your loan. Their letter says "it will be mailed within 20 days". I waited 3 months and then called them. They put in a request for my $1400 positive escrow balance to be mailed to me. I have waited another 2 weeks and still have not received my check. I am calling them now (been on hold for over 45 minutes). I wonder if I will ever receive MY MONEY. Don't wait for them to send you anything. Call them after 30 days and demand your money. When you don't get it, call them again after 2 weeks, and again 2 weeks after that. I guess they try to keep your money, although highly illegal.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Ditech bought my loan a few years ago. I have an escrow account as well. I got a letter from my insurance company saying that they had canceled my homeowner’s insurance for to lack of payment. After 2 days I got that straight. Then I started getting past due property tax notices. I will make a long story that has happened over the last 4 years short. After numerous phone calls, faxes, and documentation plus paying the property taxes out of my pocket to keep my property from being sold to tax default once, they finally seemed to have the right parcel ID number. They lied. My property was sold for taxes. When I called for the hundredth time they told me they were going to redeem it. However they never could scribe the correct parcel ID number and never redeemed it. They didn't even bother to call me back.

When I called a few weeks ago they informed me that they would no longer assist in redeeming my property and that I need to pay my taxes on my own and I had to get in touch with the person that bought it for taxes and redeem it from my pocket. They were paying taxes to another person's parcel ID and say they were never reimbursed from the other person's escrow. Now I will be evicted from a home I've lived in for more than 20 years. They also told me I was still responsible for paying the mortgage until it was paid in full. So I have to move from my home that they lost, pay another mortgage or rent and still pay for a home I can't live in due to their incompetence. I don't get it. They also never filed a deed of trust so according to my Courthouse there is no money owed on the house. I have tried unsuccessfully to get in touch with the person that bought it for taxes. A lawyer wants 3500 to take my case. I'm poor so what do I do?

Original review: March 18, 2019

Greentree originally had my mobile home loan (they are a joke as well - had a rep one time tell me she was going to bring her truck from Louisville, KY to my home and drag my home away - stemmed from my payments not being recorded correctly so it looked like I was only making 3/4 of my payments). Loan purchased by Ditech. I have had auto withdraw and so far so good (knock on wood). Had to call today 3/18/19 because I locked myself out of my account online. I received a letter in the mail saying I changed my bank information, which is false, however, the letter had all my information correct, so I wanted to check online. Wouldn't accept my passwords, so I was forced to make the dreaded call to Ditech.

Their customer service is something very much to be desired. I told the lady I locked myself out online, she asked what could she do for me. Huh? Um, what? She asked me why I was getting on my account. Huh? Um, what? After about 30 minutes of bantering back and forth, she says they are having internet problems and to try back tomorrow. Again she asked why I was wanting to get online in my account. I wanted to check my payoff balance. She said she will have to fill out a form and submit it. I said "to check a payoff balance?" I told her I don't fill out a form to check in online. I told her never mind, that I will call back tomorrow if I can't get online.

I've not had any issues so far (knock on wood) with Ditech, only their customer service people need training. I had to pretty much tell her how to do her job. The English was very poor as well. I could tell she was getting upset because I couldn't understand her very well. She kept saying "my card" on my account. I told her I don't pay with a card, that I pay with a checking account. I finally got a "oh miss, it's my bad" out of her. I need to look for a loan from a reputable company and pay these people off, immediately.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I pay my mortgage through automatic debit so almost never have to talk to anyone. Had to call them regarding a recent account issue. Was on hold for 30 minutes with loud static music being played along with a recording that would cut in every minute telling sorry for the wait & a representative will be with me shortly...yeah right. When a live person actually picked up, I explained the issue and what a surprise! Was put on hold again. When she came back she did apologize and then proceeded to disconnect me. A recorded survey came on asking if I was satisfied with today's call... Unreal!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ditech Financial, LLC?

Original review: March 15, 2019

This place is an absolute joke. I send in extra money for principal and they apply it to a "late fee" instead of principal. That is straight theft. I have NEVER been late. Been on hold trying to speak with someone for 45 minutes, what a joke. Interest rate is supposed to be a fixed 8.25%, now they decided to change it to 8.30. No explanation.

Original review: March 14, 2019

We closed on our mobile home in November of 2017 with a different company that sold our mortgage to Ditech Financial. I would not recommend Ditech to anyone looking for a mortgage servicer. At first, we mailed checks to Ditech. One for the specified loan amount and another for additional principal with it clearly noted in the subject line. After one check would clear and the other one would "get lost" - we started making our payments online. Ditech has one box with your monthly scheduled payment (that you cannot change) and another box for additional principal on their website when making a payment. Every month we have made additional principal payments and sometimes they are applied as instructed and sometimes they are not.

The first three months everything went fine and we were able to schedule payments early and each was applied to the correct billing statement. On our fourth month of payments Ditech decided a payment was made too early and applied all of those funds to additional principal. If we had not been paying attention that would have put us behind because we thought we paid a statement and by their actions we did not. We went ahead and made another payment as scheduled but the additional principal we stipulated was not applied correctly.

They decided to split the payment and pay two billing statements (the current one and the next month with interest and escrow applied a month out instead of applying it to additional principal). In May, we noticed that interest was being calculated and/or applied differently from payment to payment and sent a QWR (certified mail) requesting their method of calculating interest and an itemization of interest calculations for this loan.

We live in Louisiana which has parishes instead of counties. On our escrow activity page we noticed that a property tax payment had been made in Dec of 2017 (keep in mind our first payment was not due until Jan 1st of 2018) on property in a different parish than the one we live in and under the wrong parcel number. Future escrow activity also showed that Ditech intended to make another property tax payment on the wrong property in Dec of 2018. We had to send another QWR letter via certified mail and contact the CPFB before Ditech corrected this issue and it took them over four months to do so.

Once they removed the incorrect property parcel number off of our escrow account they then failed to use the money set aside in escrow to pay our actual property taxes for 2018. Of course we made that payment to keep from generating late fees and so forth; but it is now March 14th and Ditech has yet to refund us the payment out of our escrow account. Ditech will not return our phone calls, they have never replied to us directly after either of the QWR letters we sent, and they will not reply to messages left in the secure message center. We do NOT recommend Ditech Financial!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I attempted to pay down my loan and encountered Ditech loan servicing creative accounting. The check was clearly written which included statement coupon filled in properly. One month payment to be paid on time with and additional amount for $25,000 to be applied directly to principal. Ditech took the $25,000 principal reduction payment and failed to apply the full amount to the principal. Instead they paid themselves and additional month of interest reducing the effective principal applied to almost $23,000. I called and corrected the allocation after some difficulty.

I looked up complaints and saw this as a pattern of abuse by loan servicing department. In order to get away from being entangled in legal issues with Ditech, I elected to pay off the loan and get as far away from these people as I can. I did not ask or contact Ditech for a loan application. They bought the loan away from the company I had used to finance my home. I do not recommend them and caution anyone who has their loan taken over by Ditech to be warned to watch your statements carefully. The accounting is questionable and needs to be reviewed by the banking commission as to why over 3,000 recent reviews online rate this company so low. Green Tree all over again was my experience. Questionable practices and strange accounting methods. Please be warned and beware of this company.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Ditech overcharged my for one payment of my loan after it was paid. Been waiting to get reimbursed for about 3 months to get the money back from them. Every time you call them you have to be on hold for about 1 hr to even talk to someone.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Joining an apparently growing online list of Ditech customers who are experiencing escrow problems. Our account is supposed to be reviewed and adjusted every February. Well, we received an adjustment in November 2018, and another one in February 2019. All this to the tune of $750. We were told things would stay fairly stable when we refinanced with them in 2016. Apparently not true. Where can we file for assistance?

Original review: March 5, 2019

I purchased my mobile home in 1998 and it was only 47k, why is it 2019 and they still have me owing 40k?? I am so fed up with this company. It is ridiculous!! They cancelled the insurance without letting me know what to do. After reading some reviews I'm seriously going to try and pay this crap off and never deal with this company again.

Original review: March 5, 2019

The worst customer service I have ever experienced. I normally don't call Ditech because I pay online but because I am a 100% disabled veteran and my real estate taxes are cancelled I tried calling to make sure that Ditech received my fax from my town's tax office. I waited 49 & 35 minutes. I was put on hold and then hung up on? How do these companies stay in business? Does know how I can through on another phone number besides the 800 number?

Original review: March 1, 2019

We switched insurance companies. I got the escrow refund from one and sent it to Ditech to apply to my escrow. I sent it with the coupon, filled in the escrow amount and a line through the others. I even wrote a note stating to apply entire check to escrow only. Ditech broke the payment to Principal and Interest, leaving me short on my escrow. Three months later, 2 messages, 4 phone calls, 2 managers and they still haven't corrected the payment. And... every payment I've sent in since, has been applied to my principal only. They can't reallocate the funds because "I mailed the original escrow payment to the wrong address". REALLY??! BYE... CHANGING COMPANIES!

Original review: March 1, 2019

Today (2/28/2019) I rec'd a notice in the mail dated 2/22/2019. It states that my force placed home ins was cancelled as of 2/18/2019 at the request of Ditech. I have rec'd no other notice concerning this. I have not missed any payments. In fact I pay extra every month. Has anyone else had this happen and have you been able to get any explanations? I've been unsuccessful reaching Ditech or the ins company Assurant. However as of now I'm UNINSURED!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Purchased a mobile home in SC in 1996 for 43K thru Greentree. About 3 years ago it was transferred to Ditech. In the early years busy working and raising children there wasn't much time to do more than just send in payments. I was not paying attention to statements or balances. All these years later with the children grown and I'm semi retired I am taking the time to try to get to the bottom of this. How can we have paid for 23 years and still owe nearly 19K. I've been making extra payments for years. Today I applied for a personal loan with a better rate and a more reputable company. My reason, to pay off Ditech.

I began reading reviews about Ditech and now I'm not sure I should send them a lump sum of money. Many people have said Ditech makes it almost impossible to pay the loan off early. Currently Ditech is in Chapter 11 restructure. Does anyone have information they know of as to if there is a class action suit against this company and if so, how to become a part of it. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet but I am certain this company has misappropriated at least a portion of my payments.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Due to a hail storm, we had to file an insurance claim for a new roof in Aug. 2018. Insurance worked in a timely manner and sent us 2 checks made out to us and DITECH, our mortgage company. We endorsed and sent checks to DITECH. They immediately lost one of the checks for 2 weeks. Then stated they didnt have necessary papers from our contractor. I sent them twice, our contractor sent 3 times. Then I was told they had everything and funds would be coming. This took us up to the end of November! All the while, our half million dollar home was acquiring more and more interior damage from rain and snow. We are now in March 2019 and still have not received our insurance money for a roof. They continue to say 17 to 20 more days!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We got a letter saying my escrow is short 4000. Now they want us to pay almost 400 more a month and which includes a charge of 1000 for them carrying insurance on the loan. I can undo the escrow and save around 250 a month.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Never work with a bankrupt company. Ditech is a defunct company who got in the business after HARP loans became popular. They are in the red so any insurance money you receive will keep them afloat. Disastrous company. Have held my money for one year.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Updated on 03/21/2019: I posted a review several weeks ago, but as there was an update, figured I'd come back with how it's shaking out: After six months of waiting to hear back on the Loan Modification Application (with an inconsistent story throughout), we finally got rejected. Here's the timeline of events: We initially applied in 2017, and heard nothing back. Eventually we contacted them and were told we used the wrong form. We re-applied in Sept 2018. We're told they never got the fax, around Dec 2018. We complain to the CFPB in Jan 2019, Ditech responds saying they needed more info for the application. No response again. We complain to this and other review sites. Their Escalations Team contacts us, and finally gets a response in Feb 2019. House scheduled for Auction in April 2019.

My understanding is that they're supposed to respond to all applications within 45 days. It took them six months (or around 18 months if you include the radio silence on the "wrong" application). Their grounds for denying us was also a reason that had never been communicated previously. One that we could have corrected back when this started, or that we could have started looking for an alternative much sooner. So, if I could leave a zero-star review, I would.

Original Review: We got a mortgage with Ditech, and then encountered some difficulties. They told us that they would not accept partial payments--balance must be paid in full. They also told us about applying for a loan modification, and that there was a form on their website. So, we downloaded the form, gathered the tax, pay, and banking information that they requested and submitted it. Several weeks pass. We eventually follow up. They tell us we had filled in the wrong form. So, we gather the right form, another round of personal financial information and submit again. They only take faxes, so we saved the fax confirmation and waited again.

No reply for several more weeks. We reach out again, and they claim they did not receive the paperwork. They also warn us that foreclosure is imminent--as we had not paid the balance (at their instruction). So, I reached out to the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau and the local Attorney General. Ditech responds to the CFPB complaint that we submitted, saying that they were missing some details in our paperwork (that they claimed they had not received, and that they would put the process on hold while they reach out to get that information.

Several more weeks pass. They are still foreclosing, and we never heard from them about the "missing" loan modification details. I could be generous, and assume that it is a series of incompetent people dropping the ball and no one taking responsibility. However, as we are the ones at risk of losing our house, and their story has been inconsistent throughout, I can't help but suspect that it was deliberate.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Ditech charges EXTRA late fees without itemizing what they are for. Ditech is operating its business under Chapter 11 bankruptcy as of February 11, 2019. Suggest checking your past mortgage statements. While their statements clearly state no late charges until after a certain date, they have charged much more than what is allowed per their fee schedule. They are less than forthcoming with their answer when questioned about this and refer you to their "fee schedule".

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Updated on 02/21/2019: After calling Ditech again on 02-19-2019, I finally spoke to a supervisor (Angelica **). She said she would personally handle my case, she asked that I called back on 02-20-2019 for an update, which I did and now she's telling me the same ** the other 7 customer service representatives told me. They are waiting to hear back from their complaints office about reimbursing me my $61.84 that they took out extra from my checking with the mortgage payment. This is really unbelievable, it's 14 days later and they still haven't resolved this. Once again I was told to check back next Wednesday on 02-27-2019 for update... Ditech you ** crooked, scamming, dishonest, disloyal, horrible mortgage company...!!! Hope and pray this company goes out of business real soon for all the low down dirty scamming they have done to loyal customers. (Remember do not refer any family or friends to them)...

Original Review: Ditech is the WORST MORTGAGE COMPANY IN THE WORLD. CONTINUE TO HAVE PROBLEM AFTER PROBLEM WITH THEM AND IT TAKES THEM 200 years to fix the problem. They recently took extra money out my mortgage which they was not suppose to do, on top of that they caused my account to have an overdraft fee. I called and spoke to 3 different representatives about the correct amount that they was suppose to take monthly for the mortgage and they admitted it was a mistake on their behalf but I've been trying to get them to reimburse me for the extra money they took out of my checking.

Unfortunately they said that it would take up to 30 days due to they have to file a complaint and wait for an answer from the complaint office before they can reimburse me... (Do you think that's fair)? Cause I don't think it is... Ditech is the world's worst mortgage company, please do not refer any family or friends to them...

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Ditech suddenly increased my monthly payment by over $500 calling a shortage in my escrow account by $4484.40 when I called they told me my property insurance went up by $2100!! Really. I called the treasury department and they told me my insurance went up by $122. Ditech has never communicated this to me, the customer rep (spoke to 3 of them) keep referring me to the escrow analysis but can't explain how the shortage happened nor why. I wrote a letter to Ditech requesting signature so they are forced to respond and I submitted a complaint to the federal reserve. Waiting for a response. This financial institution is a scam.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have never in my life written a review but this company is that bad. I have called customer service 5 times in the past month and talked to 5 different people. All given me 5 different answers. I spoke to a supervisor who was nothing but rude and told me that even though customer service said I would receive MY money out of escrow after closing the account 2 months ago that they were wrong.

The customer service told me that I was on a recorded line that if any one gives issues about my escrow closing to have them pull the tapes. When I told the supervisor that she said she didn't need to that the customer service was wrong and nothing she could do. Every time I call they put me through to different people and they just tell me lies every time. Ditech bought my mortgage out from someone and I paid more to refinance to get out of Ditech because of their service. If I could give 0 stars I would. DO NOT CHOOSE THEM IF YOU HAVE AN OPTION!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I stumbled across this searching for the Ditech website. I was surprised by all the negative reviews. I need to call them to discuss my escrow account. Other than long wait times on hold they have been fine. I even did a refi a year or so ago to lower my rate and it went smoothly.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I have an escrow issue with Ditech. We had been overpaying in taxes, so our county tax office issued us a refund to Ditech on December 3, 2018. Our mortgage was transferred to another company as of July 2017. The refund was for the year of 2016. Every time I call I get a different story. It is like the blind is leading the blind. They just tell you anything to get you off of the phone. This has been very frustrating. Their customer service is terrible. I am still awaiting a resolution.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Something wrong with this company... Really, they give the runaround at every angle to not send me MY insurance check back. You would think they would treat their customers as partners. I own 90% of my home and they are holding my money ransom.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Ditech "bought" our loan. Their bookkeeping and customer service is horrible. They said we bounced a payment and gave us a date. I faxed and sent (snail mail) proof that the bank had honored and paid it. The next month they said we were late. I told them we were not and they gave me a different date. I again sent them proof of payment by two different means. This happened twice more with different dates. When you give them proof, they change the dates. All while promising that if we send proof this will all be resolved. In the meantime they're reporting us to the credit bureaus, ruining our credit to where we can't even refinance with a different company.

Every time we call, it's a different person (even though the previous rep gave us an extension # to reach them back at.) You can never talk to a supervisor. They are, devious liars. Their way of doing business borders on the criminal, if not just outright illegal. We have been arguing with them for 4 years, with no resolution in sight. We cannot afford a lawyer, but we can't continue with this frustration that is affecting our health and peace of mind. It's exhausting! How are they still in business and the "ghostly" supervisors not in jail? How do we rectify this? Where do we start to get this scam company shut down?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I received our monthly statement for Feb 2019. Included in this was our year end information as expected but along with that information was a bankruptcy letter stating informational purpose only, it had our names, address and account number and was basically stating we were in bankruptcy which couldn't be further from the truth! All our payments have been made on time and we have never filed bankruptcy, dont plan on filing bankruptcy, so why this letter.

After spending 1 hr and 29 min on hold for a representative I was told that this letter was sent out to everyone, informational purpose only, she also said, "I dont know why they (Ditech) did this, unsure if they will do it again, but not to worry it was sent to everyone who has an account with Ditech in case they are in bankruptcy. It will give them the information they need." WHAT??? I have never heard of this, I now have to wait up to 72 hrs for a manager to call me back. Very disappointed in this company, and will be looking to refinance asap.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

My 84 yr old father has home damage due to hurricane Michael. After 4 miscommunication tries they finally sent a payoff check. However it had my deceased mother's name on it so once again we have to send the check back and wait another 15 business days. Keep in mind my mother has been dead for 3 years. Her name was not on the insurance check that was sent to them and was not on the bills they sent to my father. I believe they did this on purpose and should be ashamed of the way they treat and talk to their customers. I am recommending that no one I know ever uses them.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My home loan was sold to Ditech and I have never had such a terrible experience with any loan I have ever had. Every month when I made a payment the company would send me a confirmation email but would then reject the payment made for "invalid account." I would get no notice whatsoever when this happens. I only knew about it when I would log into my account to check the balance (which thankfully I did before the end of each month). I had my bank verify the account information with their payments online payment system and after that Ditech started accepting payments from my account for 3 months.

After that the system once again started rejecting my payments for invalid account and still did not notify me. The Customer Service representatives were terrible and refused to refund any of my fees and stated that I would have to "take it up with Paymentus." They are making it nearly impossible to take a payment and charging me late fees even though I made a proper payment on time with a valid account. I am interested in seeking legal action for deceptive practices but I don't know where to start.

Ditech Financial Company Information