Ditech Financial
3.50/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Ditech Financial

We are in the business of helping Americans realize the dream of home ownership. The irony is that while buying a home can be a joyful and uplifting experience, getting a mortgage can be anything but. We aim to change that.

Our purpose: securing the American Dream

Our approach: helpful, responsive, efficient and fair

Our values: honesty, responsibility, transparency and creativity

Our promise: to put your needs first!

Looking for a mortgage lender?

3233 Ditech Financial Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 18, 2019

During March Ditech sent us a letter, representing themselves as a bill collector no less, saying they filed for bankruptcy. They informed us our mortgage account will be now handled by a company named Loancare. The transition has not gone smoothly. Most importantly, if you have a now defunct Ditech mortgage account, any money that was being withdrawn and paid to “Optional Insurance/Other Products is NOT being picked up by Loancare. You won’t find this out until Loancare takes its first mortgage payment from your checking or savings account and you hopefully notice the shortfall.

In my case the additional $$ were going to Ace/Chubb Insurance for Disaster Mortgage Protection. Ditech, nor Loancare never informed me, and Ace/Chubb also had their head in the sand and never noticed they had not received my premium payment. Put simply, my additional insurance could have lapsed and no one would have known, including me! If you have Ditech and they are dumping you into Loancare be vigilant. Also, Ace/Chubb acts like this is not their problem. Their customer service is dismal at best. Good luck.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have never been late with a payment. After making a payment online in April 2019 I noticed the payment was not processed after a few days. I logged into to confirm and noticed the payment was not scheduled to be applied until almost 28 days AFTER I made the payment. For many years I paid online and it was applied the next day or shortly after. Not sure if this is their new way to collect extra late payments but it's not right. SO to all of you people reading - next time you make an online payment LOOK CAREFULLY at the created date and the scheduled date. They may adjust the scheduled date automatically and then blame you for not changing it yourself. Read the other reviews below. I know for many of us we had no choice on Ditech after banks sold the mortgage to them but they absolutely suck.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Looking to lock down a fixed interest rate and a shorter term to eventually own the house outright, we reached out to our home loan serving company, Ditech. The loan process was lengthy but we closed on the loan. Fast forward, we have received the payoff paperwork and a notice that Ditech has sold our loan off to another company. We have contacted what is stated to be the new loan serving company and they have no record of our loan belonging to them. We have reached out to Ditech for direction and who to pay for our upcoming due date. No luck. No one has any idea on who owns our mortgage now.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Tried to cancel my escrow on my home and they denied doing it for me. Poor company to deal with. They want you to lose your home. Use to be Green Tree servicing years ago. Been under chapter 11 2 times in 14 months.

Original review: April 14, 2019

First of all, I've never had a late payment. All of my credit is paid on-time. I have ZERO derogatory credit, no lates payments, etc. I always pay my mortgage payment "serviced" by Ditech through their online system. I've never had an issue, until March of 2019. I made the first payment attempt and there wasn't any "pending payment" on our online account. I didn't know about Ditech filing for bankruptcy, until yesterday. I waited a few days and called Ditech, after waiting on hold for over an hour, the "customer service" agent was very evasive and it wasn't clear if my payment had been received online there. I asked him if Ditech was having computer issues because this hasn't happened before. He told me he wasn't sure. I started to feel very concerned. I couldn't get any answers from the "customer service agent."

I waited a few more days and it seemed as though the payment wasn't recorded, so I tried to make another payment and the system auto-populated this message, "You already have a payment pending, are you sure you want to make another one?" I waited a few more days and the payment wasn't showing up on my account online. I tried to make another payment and the same message appeared, "You already have a payment pending."

I made my April payment and the March payment showed as not paid! Their system had NO PAYMENT for March. I paid both right away! However, now I can't sleep and am frantic because my credit will undoubtedly be DESTROYED because of this!! And I'm never late, with any payments for any account. I've very worried and upset about this. I phone Ditech yesterday, after holding for over an hour, I spoke with a "customer service" agent that wasn't able to help me at all. He put me on hold, and after waiting another 58 minutes, the call was dropped! I am so worried about my credit now. :'( :'( Can anyone help me?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ditech Financial, LLC?

Original review: April 14, 2019

I was reading recent reviews on Ditech and multiple reviews match my situation, I received my May 2019 Statement on April 12, 2019, and of course they overpaid my Hazard Insurance then what was due and now my escrow account reflects a negative balance. I also called them right away (April 12) and after 40 minutes on hold I hang up and called again but after waiting 20 minutes on hold I gave up. I decided to call Saturday morning (April 13) and got lucky someone answered the phone but very familiar they could not answer me as to why they overpaid my Hazard Insurance by $926, they asked me to call back on Monday. It scares me to know how many complaints there is regarding their shady accounting practices and our Government allows them to still be in business and scam us consumers.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have been fighting with Ditech for many years. For about 2 complete years, they charged my account $30 monthly, because they said they had to send someone to my home to prove I still lived there! They sent me a notice of an escrow shortage, which I paid, only to find out my escrow was now overpaid. I asked to have it applied to the principal and they never could figure out how to do that. I was on a bi-weekly payment schedule, but that rarely worked, since they held the payment until the monthly due date and did not apply it correctly. I will never do business with them again, if I can help it! They don't even deserve 1 star.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I have been paying my mortgage 1st of the month on automatic payment. Just recently I paid 1st of the month and the payment got returned on April 5th. Re-sent the payment again for April 10th, I tried getting support through phone and could NOT get anyone! I was on hold for 2 hours at time without getting any support representative. I keep track of mortgage payments and the payments haven't been processed yet! My concern is that Ditech filed for bankruptcy. Checked on Ditech reviews and it appears Ditech is has a history of fraudulent behavior, it is now a concern for me. I sent messages through the site and no one still got back to me to confirm that my payments was processed. I have recorded the transactions and payments I sent if in case this company acts fraudulently as shown on numerous reviews in ConsumerAffairs.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Owned our home 14 months. Mortgage was sold to Ditech. To date have received no paperwork. Emails or phone calls. Not even that they raised our fixed mortgage payment. Literally waited 47 minutes to get thru. Finally get answered by argumentative operator who not only wouldn't listen to issues, but overtalked us. Ask for supervisor, she did some checking and came up with different information and answers. Said we needed tax department. 3rd person. Got tax guy, said taxes were fine. No worries. Please hold. Hung up on us. Call back. We are now into phone call for almost 90 minutes. Call back. Get a different person, gave us totally different information and completely not listening. Clearing not listening!

We ask for supervisor, get a different one now. Just a note, their customer service is terrible. Try to rush you off phone and hear what they want. She says we need accounting now. So. We get accounting person with no patience. This one tells us that Ditech withdrew monies to pay taxes etc in an amount totally over and above what we owed and we now have to pay them back for their mistake. Ridiculous. Their mistake!! From beginning to end, this was a nightmare situation. Do not use Ditech. I work in customer service on recorded lines as well. I was shocked at their customer service and how completely unwilling to resolve an issue their agents come across. There is a huge trust issue.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My mortgage was sold to Ditech a few years ago and I have had multiple issues with them. First and foremost, it is nearly impossible to get someone to talk to you. My agent and myself have spent several days of being on hold from 20 minutes - over an HOUR! When I finally am able to get through, the customer service rep cannot answer questions or confirm receipt of new changes of insurance. In my most recent experience, I called weeks in advance to inform them I was changing my flood insurance. I stated very clearly to make a note in my account to NOT pay the upcoming renewal insurance. The rep put me on hold, told me exactly how to proceed and said he'd take care of it.

We've tried to confirm they received cancellation and proof of new insurance. Roughly hours of holding and talking to 4 different people and they aren't able to tell me anything. In fact, it looks as though they have not only paid the old flood insurance, but have also paid out the new insurance too. This equates to THOUSANDS of dollars. I don't know how this can even be legal. I am so frustrated I have considered refinancing just to get a different mortgage company. RUN from Ditech. You will never get a hold of anyone who knows anything about your account.

Original review: April 10, 2019

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. They took my mortgage payment in March and applied 0 to interest, 0 to principal, and 0 to escrow. Then in April, they sent me a statement showing me as owing both March and April's payments (even though their payment history showed the March payment). When I called to ask what was up, they said they were having some system problems but that they would be fixed by April 4th. Then today, I get a call from a debt collector trying to get me to pay both payments! I explain everything and when they review my account, they say "Okay, you're current."

So then I ask for something in writing that says I'm current and they say they cannot give me anything in writing. I then asked for a supervisor who basically refused to come to the phone. I asked them what they've reported to the credit agencies and they say, "Oh it's okay. We didn't report anything" even though their crap system shows me as 37 days past the March payment due date. What's next - a sheriff's notice of foreclosure? These guys suck.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I received a notice of Bankruptcy from Ditech. After reviewing the Notice online and reading these reviews, the financials are starting to come full circle. I received a Escrow Shortage from Ditech dated September 20, 2018. I can understand taxes go up and homeowners due to the claim I filed for roof damage during one of the storms in Texas. The shortage amount was for $4,787.70. Wow, I thought a bit extreme but I gathered the money and paid with cashier's check on 11-15-2018 and mailed it off. DONE! Paid! WRONG! I received another notice for Escrow Shortage on 3-12-2019 for $4,842.64. I called very angry as to why am I getting another notice when I paid in November, 2018. My call took forever - at least a 30 minute - but I was going to HOLD because this is my money and my house. All the representative would say was that it must have been overlooked and will have someone get back to me.

To this day, no letter and no call from Ditech. Not only that but when I began searching to refinance my loan, I was told I had two mortgages with DITECH. So I had to call again and apparently since more than one bankruptcy had been filed the name was changed from Ditech Financial to Ditech. In the meantime, I am still trying to contact someone regarding this 2nd Shortage payments. I do not believe my taxes and homeowners insurance exceed to almost $9,500.00! This company really needs to get their finances in order!

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have been fighting Ditech for over 2 months now because they are saying I am late on my mortgage. I am not late and they now claim I'm actually overpaid. My credit has dropped significantly and they are posting late payments to the credit bureau still. I have spoken to several representatives over the course and no one calls me back when they say they will. I have to juggle working long hours and having to try and sort all this out. I would not recommend them at all. The credit I worked so hard on is now trashed due to their false late payment credit reports. HELP.

Original review: April 8, 2019

They don't deserve even one star, more like negative stars! Since my mortgage was "sold" to Ditech, it has been an incredibly frustrating situation. Recently, I received my annual escrow analysis and there were several incorrect "future" charges that was dramatically going to change my monthly mortgage. I understand an increase in annual property tax but to continue to charge me for insurance that I canceled, was just downright ridiculous! I made formal submissions and spoke with representatives regarding this correction, but I kept getting the run-around. I was told that because of the escrow analysis, my new monthly payment cannot be adjusted, instead I will just have to wait for a refund check. So absurd! This company is terrible. Takes 20 minutes to even speak to a representative and even then, you're passed around from one rep to another. TERRIBLE!!!

Original review: April 7, 2019

Ditech cancelled our insurance without notification. The notification we got was the insurance company stating that Ditech CANCELLED THE INSURANCE. I called Ditech and was offered no explanation. I complained till I was blue in the face, but they did not relent nor were they willing to assume any responsibility for this. We had been without insurance for about 2 weeks without any knowledge of the cancelled insurance. I was finally told if we were unable to find insurance they would get it for us. What the HELL!

Original review: April 6, 2019

It gives me some comfort knowing that we are not alone in our struggles with Ditech, but what can we do to rectify the situation? Our mortgage was bought by Ditech and it has been struggles ever since... In June 2018, out of the blue, we noticed that our online account showed we owed more than our usual payment, and Ditech had reported a late payment to the credit bureau. After MULTIPLE phone calls with extremely long wait times, we were told the late payment was from 2014!!! What?!?! But they had never communicated this with us in any way! Then we come home one day to find a stranger walking around our property taking photos of our home and property!!! He was in plain clothes with no identification on himself or his vehicle, but stated he was in contract with Ditech and was sent to take pictures due to a past due account. We told him he should leave before he was shot for trespassing.

We then called Ditech again and told them of the situation, but customer service rep could not explain why the man had been sent here or why ALL OF A SUDDEN they were trying to collect for one “late payment” from fours years previous and had never communicated this with us prior. We gave in a paid the balance due to get our account back “current” with the promise that we would receive a full payment history and that our account and the credit bureau would be corrected. This never happened. Since that time we have worked diligently to improve our credit due to their mistake, only to have it happen again this month! As of April 4, we are “30 days late” and our credit has suffered again.

I contacted Ditech today to try to rectify this situation and this is how it went: First phone call on hold for one hour, finally got a live person, told her the situation, she put me on hold then hung up and I was connected to the survey asking me to rate the call. Second call on hold for an hour, finally got a representative and she “looks at the account” but has to ask me to tell her when I made payments and for how much. Basically she tells me that since the payments I’ve made were not always for the exact amount owed (because I typically try to pay extra to put towards principal), that those funds were reallocated causing my account to be past due! What?!

She says she can “put in a request” for the funds to be reallocated properly to correct our account and “put in another request” to correct things with the credit bureau, but it will take 5-7 business days. Then she comes back and says “Oh, the credit reporting department is only here Monday through Friday, so you’ll have to call back Monday and I’ll put in a note why you’ll be calling.” So 2.5 hours later and nothing is fixed and I’ll have to call back on Monday to wait another hour or longer to go through it all again. I expect more excuses and more of not getting the problems fixed because that is just what Ditech does.

Also, we purchased our house in 1999 and paid about $35,000. As of right now (almost 20 years later), we still owe $30,000!! And we’ve already paid approx $85,000!! And Ditech recently did something that changed our account number—just prior to us being “late” on our payment. Imagine that! Something needs to be done with this horrible company with incompetent customer service reps. We are currently looking for a way out of this house and away from this company, but every time we get our credit up after their mistake, they do something to knock it back down again. They make it nearly impossible to get away from them and make it a nightmare to deal with them.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I sold my home and purchased a small condo in 2016. My loan was sold to Ditech. Before I made my first payment I received a notice from Ditech that they were increasing my payment by $40.00 a month for earthquake insurance. The insurance that was set up with the loan was $120.00 per month on the home loan, $100 for insurance in my condo fee, covering the outside of the building, and a separate payment of $70.00 for the contents of my home for a total of $340.00. The additional fee of 40.00 brings it up to $380.00. My homeowners for a house twice the size was $180.00 per month total. I called Ditech and they told me to keep my loan I needed the additional insurance. After reading these reviews and now that they are filing bankruptcy I am questioning if this was a legitimate charge or a method of making themselves extra cash.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I have my mortgage with Ditech. Last year they send me a letter asking for a check in the amount of $215 to avoid my monthly mortgage payment to go up. I send the check but it still did. This year I received the same letter asking for a check in the amount of $112 for the same reason, I send the check but as the same as last year my payment went up. I call the mortgage company. They put me on hold. After an hour they hanged up (of course I had them on speaker). I tried a second time. They put me on hold. After 30 minutes they hanged up, I never got to talk to a representative.

Original review: April 3, 2019

My mortgage was paid off to them on 3/13/19. I had a second mortgage with them so I did not have an escrow account. They withdrew a payment for my March payment which ended up being an overpayment since my mortgage was being paid off. After the mortgage was paid in full they now owe me $1,285.00 for overpayment of the loan. I have tried to get this money sent to me but they claim they have 20 days to refund escrow. I never had an escrow account yet this overpayment was applied to escrow for some reason. This place is nothing shy of a con company and needs to be shut down. They are on their 2nd chapter 11 bankruptcy and I sure hope they are out of business soon. I will not stop until I get my refund from this company, even it means hiring an attorney and paying all that money in attorney fees.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Ditech Financial LLC is stealing and doing illegal business in the USA. In February 2019 when I tried to make my mortgage payment online as my normal practice, the website did not allow me to make payment for February and when I called the Ditech representative picked my call after 40 minutes and after holding for over 35 minutes she came back and told me that my January payment is not made and that is the reason that the website is not allowing you to make February payment. It was surprising and shocking for me because we were never late even a single day to make our payment on time.

After faxes and phone calls spending a valuable time of my life I was found out that my payment of April 2017 is missing, what a horrible situation I got into. This issue was settled because I had made 2 payments instead of one when I had received a letter that my payment of April 2017 is missing. To avoid any problem a second payment was made and all the bank proofs were submitted.

After more than 2 months hectic problem, stress and spending amount in faxing documents to them finally this Ditech 'evil financial company' on earth transferred my mortgage service to another company recently in March 2019. Still this Ditech Financial owes me 1800 dollars which was paid double to avoid any issue with them. I will not recommend anyone to do business with Ditech or any affiliated company. Stay away from this Ditech Financial LLC. The corrupt company, management and staff. This Ditech Financial LLC should shut down.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I lost my home because Ditech gave a falsified mortgage note that contained a forgery and a phony endorsement to people who call themselves substitute trustees for Fannie Mae, along with invalid assignments and I was denied all rights to due process and all my evidence proving their crimes was ignored by men in black robes pretending to be something they most certainly are not because the courts are supposed to be fair, neutral, and just...hahahahahahaha. They are anything but and they have caused me an enormous amount of emotional distress and physical injury from the stress of dealing with corrupt organizations who will lie and steal and fabricate evidence all out of greed.

Thank you Bank of America, Ditech, aka Greentree, Fannie Mae and their rotten sub trustees who are anything but trustworthy...may you one day realize the pain and loss that you have put so many families through because of your fraudulent practices all for your bottom line. And thank you to the corrupt courts who are in your back pockets.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I hope they get what they deserve... I had fallen on hard times and had to declare bankruptcy. I had to do this to save my home. I made and showed proof that all payments were made to the trustee. At the end of the Bankruptcy, after the final discharge, Ditech started to claim that I was 5 payments behind. I showed proof that all payments were made. Also, if it was during the time of the bankruptcy, they had a chance to claim that payments were missing, which were not.

3 years later and they are still reporting that payments are missing.

Ditech's method of doing business is crooked. Ditech's mishandling of information and losing payments is their fault. Not mine. With the constant threat of foreclosure and seizure, I couldn't take the stress of my ex wife stressing me out to give them money I don't have for something that was their fault. My divorce had a lot to do with Ditech and their threats and lies. I couldn't take it anymore. So, I spoke with my Bankruptcy attorney and I was going to file a claim and sue Ditech. What does Ditech do? They filed Bankruptcy!!! Now I cannot have justice for what was done to me, my family and my life. All I can say is Ditech IS A CROOKED COMPANY!!!!

Original review: March 28, 2019

Following Hurricane Maria my quarter million insurance check went to Ditech Claims in Rapid City, S.D. In the year that I have been rebuilding, in spite of meticulously documented invoices they have never been able to send me money in time to pay contractors. This delay has become worse over time. In February 2019 I had a December 30, 2018 invoice outstanding and when I was finally able to reach them (45 minute holds the norm) they told me that part of my document package, "was cut off". I told them my document package was perfect and they said, "well the scan is cut off". "What scan?" I asked. "Oh, we scan your documents and discard the originals." Re-sent originals and it still took another 30 days to pay.

Now apparently Ditech has been fired by the owner of my mortgage and I now have NewRez as a servicer and Shell Point handling the claim portion as Ditech is still holding $50,000 or so. I spoke with Shell Point to confirm I would be escaping Ditech and they said, yes. I called Ditech and they said, no they would not release my funds to Shell Point.

In the meantime I discovered Ditech has filed for bankruptcy (the second time) in February. I still have February invoices unpaid and a large March invoice ready to send, "somewhere". I am shocked and concerned at Ditech's apparent financial instability, absolutely horrible customer service and now have doubts that I will ever see my settlement money.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I got a payoff on my home and paid it. Now they say I owe more money. They took the money out of my checking account two weeks ago and still will not post the money to my loan account or release my title to my home. This company need to be shut down. They just keep trying to take people money. I will never do business with them ever again.

Original review: March 25, 2019

This company should not be allowed to handle people's assets. I literally waited to be connected for 40 MINUTES. 40 MINUTES!! Only to find out that the previous rep did not enter in the noted correctly. Oh by the way which I also waited 30 MINUTES. The inexperience spills thru the phone lines. I have read 25 reviews before I made this and all of them were bad with 1 star. Not sure who audits this company but, it should be SHUT DOWN.

Original review: March 24, 2019

We received an unexpected notice from Ditech two weeks ago about danger of foreclosure. We were shocked and tried to call them during the hours they said they were open eight different times. The one time we got a live person on the phone she hung up on us when she looked up our account. The reality was, our house had been overpaid. They said we owed them $3100 and we had $3700 in cashier check receipts. They told us they had never received these payments, but our bank had the dates they were cashed.

We now have an attorney. It was recommended that we check our credit record to see what they said we owed them. On March 21, 2019, all of the major credit record companies said, “Ditech paid off on 9/29/2018.” We are now fighting them. This illegal company that lies frequently and freely is dishonest and dishonorable. We gave them one star because zero wasn’t a choice. DO NOT do business with them or their family companies like Greentree Financial.

Original review: March 22, 2019

The hold times, overmodulated hold music, lack of a clue for common tasks that need to be done, are frustrating to say the least. I cannot express what a hassle it is to deal with this company, losing time in my life, and still not getting what needs to be done accomplished. They are the absolute worst!

Original review: March 21, 2019

I called to get the payoff amount for my loan and I paid the amount given to me. The amount was incorrect and caused me to be 30 days late (I was $164 short). All this caused me to be 30 days late on the first payment and then 30 days late on the $164 balance. They had authorization to debit my bank account but said they didn't do it because the amount was less than what was owed. They will not change the credit report. My score dropped 100 points. 10 years perfect. Horrible, horrible service.

Original review: March 20, 2019

They took possession of a home through a Foreclosure Auction Sale. They trying to re-auction it. Meanwhile, the previous tenant is living with their water turned off and created a lien. They do nothing to evict. Their auction properties must be terrible when they allow destructive people to stay there after they win title. Be very wary of bidding high on their properties, some may live up to the AS IS, WHERE IS listings. It is bringing down the neighborhood. I've tried to contact them and can reach no one, especially someone who cares. Be careful when becoming involved with them.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Be advised that Ditech may not automatically send you any positive escrow balance after you pay off your loan. Their letter says "it will be mailed within 20 days". I waited 3 months and then called them. They put in a request for my $1400 positive escrow balance to be mailed to me. I have waited another 2 weeks and still have not received my check. I am calling them now (been on hold for over 45 minutes). I wonder if I will ever receive MY MONEY. Don't wait for them to send you anything. Call them after 30 days and demand your money. When you don't get it, call them again after 2 weeks, and again 2 weeks after that. I guess they try to keep your money, although highly illegal.

Ditech Financial Company Information