Ditech Financial
1.13/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Ditech Financial

We are in the business of helping Americans realize the dream of home ownership. The irony is that while buying a home can be a joyful and uplifting experience, getting a mortgage can be anything but. We aim to change that.

Our purpose: securing the American Dream

Our approach: helpful, responsive, efficient and fair

Our values: honesty, responsibility, transparency and creativity

Our promise: to put your needs first!

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

3143 Ditech Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Paid off home in October. They said part of pay off is much higher because of insurance. Payment been paid upfront for about a year to insurance company but said they would pay back the extra cost when they got money refunded back from insurance company. So months goes by and then finally I received check for two dollars and some change. Are you kidding me? Where is all the extra funds I paid? Called and no answers. Then to make matters worse they reported to credit bureau account closed instead of paid off and tried to ruin my credit. Why is this company still in operation? We need to form a alliance and stop this company. In the meantime let's use our phones and call our state houses and anyone in Washington DC who will listen.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Sold a property - all went well. Had an escrow amount remaining. They sent a letter saying escrow would be paid within 20 days after payoff processed. Well 30 days went by did not receive payment. I called they told me they would check into it and that they could see in the records that they owed it me. I was told they would send out a check within a few days. Days go by still did not receive a check. I emailed them explaining situation and also called them. Was told they would check on it and for me to call back on Monday and they should have a check number for me.

Called Monday and was told they have 30 days to send the check, but it has already been 48 days. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Supervisor got smart with me and was very rude. So I told her I was going to contact an attorney instead of dealing with them myself. She told me to do what I had to do. I have hired an attorney and will see what happens from here. It is really terrible that you have to go through this when they know they owe you the money, I just don't see the purpose at all. How does a company like this be allowed to do business? Just awful.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Amongst ALL the other illegal activities Ditech has performed against us and our account, now, even though my account is current, they have a whole new scheme. Ditech specifically has blocked my phone number to give me the "sorry we're closed" recording when they are actually open. I have substantiated proof and recordings. I have to block my phone number and not enter any information in their automated system to getting through to a representative. So far, I have proof of over 20 accounts of this happening, AFTER I told Ditech about it. It is still like this.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

If you ever have a problem with any mortgage related issue and call Ditech's Customer Service Number, you are forced to listen to a 5 minute diatribe telling you to do everything in your power to not call their customer service line to speak with a real person. They tell you to go on-line, call their automated line, or go jump off a bridge. If you persist and don't hang up, you are placed on forget for the next 15 to 30 minutes (at a minimum) before a nice person (who really needs the job) answers and asks how can she help you. In my case, I was seeking a $40,000 property insurance refund from Ditech since the check the insurance company sent the mortgage holder exceeded the balance by that much.

Ditech received the insurance check, in the amount of $75,667 on December 3rd 2018. On December 10th, I was forced to submit to Ditech's customer service phone call experience (which compares to a root canal) and again was placed on semi-permanent hold for over 30 minutes while the perplexed customer service woman sought assistance from a supervisor that didn't appear to exist. After a while, a supervisor impostor came on the line and stated that it would take 14 to 16 business days for them to process the $75,667 check. I was told that I would just have to wait my turn while they cashed the check and used to the money in the meantime.

On the 16th business day, I again called Ditech and again had to be submitted to their customer service trauma line and after aging several days, I again spoke with another "supervisor" who stated that "now that the funds were used to pay off the loan, I would now have to wait another 14 to 16 business days so that the payoff department can process my payoff!!!" NASA has sent spacecraft to the moon, where the spacecraft circled for three days, and came back to earth quicker than Ditech can process anything. On January 7th, 2019, I again called the infamous and mis-named Ditech Customer Service Number and was told that the balance of the funds ($39,610) would be sent out on January 8th, 2019.

Today, after not received the check 4 days after I was told it was sent, I again had to lose hours of my life that I will never get back and had to call the customer service number yet again. After being lied to and told false information, I was then told one of the world's three oldest lies "the check was mailed yesterday." Tuesday, the expected date I should receive the check, will make the 43rd calendar day since Ditech has been sitting on my $39,667 insurance reimbursement check. It has literally cost me hundreds of dollars in interest charges that I have incurred due to having to use funds from my home equity line of credit in lieu of the insurance money to make repairs to my property. If you are mentally incapacitated enough to ever obtain a mortgage loan from Ditech after reading about my Ditech experience, then you probably can walk over barefoot over a bed of hot coals and never blink an eye.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Refinance. Terrible communication with loan officer. Was told it would process in 14 days and did not. Had to follow up with the loan officer every week. Never answered his phone and would take several days to reply to emails. After all our paperwork was in our social security numbers were stolen and used to open several charge cards. They never followed up on the theft of our personal information. Do not use them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ditech Financial, LLC?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We were affected by Hurricane Harvey and have been out of our home for 1.5 years. Ditech LOST THREE INSURANCE checks - 1 being SHREDDED by Ditech! Ditech is treating OUR insurance money as a reimbursement account! We have received 1 check to get started and have received nothing else. We were asked for a lien waiver three different times for three different amounts! We were told "It is in processing which will take up to 7-10 days" repeatedly. In order to get any additional funds we were told we have to get an inspection when the house is 90%, well how do we get it to 90% if Ditech will not release the funds in order to do so. We are now hiring an attorney.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Storm damage in March of 2018. Insurance checks had to be in my name, as well as in Ditech's name. They have told us different information each time we call, ever since March of 2018. They will not release the money as they say. My contractor has witnessed all but the first 2 calls, as they began giving me different info each time I called. At this point contractor cannot front any more money and I am not going to live in the home without kitchen sink or stove any longer. Needed pump installed under house to prevent flooding now, but I am done. Just beat down and no longer care. Am leaving house, pulling power to it, allowing it to flood, and that's the end. Guess they prefer losing something to having to do the right thing in any way, shape or form. Good luck selling this house that is submerged in swampland, and good luck in court.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

We suffered 9000 in damage in 2017 from the storms. Ditech told us, "Don't make your payments and they would be put on the back of the loan after 6 months." We received letters stating the total would be due but when we called they told us not to worry and use the money to repair our home since our deductible was 10k. After the 6 month forbearance was done they tried to put us in larger interest rate mortgage modification and ruined our credit. Now they are talking foreclosure. I reported it to Department of Banking and Ditech lied to them, showing letters but hid the verbal recordings where they told us not to make our payments. We need help. Anyone know of a lawyer fighting Ditech please contact me.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

As I write this, I have been on hold with Ditech for 43 minutes. In July 2018 we were so excited to pay a substantial amount towards our principal. It has been a nightmare ever since. Although we wrote on the check in bold "FOR PRINCIPAL ONLY" and also contacted them to let them know, they still put $5,000 of that money towards interest and some towards escrow. When I called it took forever for the lady to get it and do it properly. Every month after that the mortgage payments (always made way earlier than the due date) have been allocated incorrectly and with a late charge attached to it. Today is my 7th month of having to call them to fix the allocation.

Today I had to make two calls, one for mortgage distribution and the other about homeowners insurance. A few months ago they requested proof of homeowners insurance which AAA (our insurance company) send to them. The other day they sent another letter "2nd Request" for proof of insurance. This time I faxed it to them along with their letter and used the fax number they had on the letter. Yesterday, I received another letter from them stating they bought home insurance for us because we didn't show them proof of insurance. So I had to get that taken care off!! It took one hour! ! What's mind-blowing is they always sound so nice and wonderful. They always act so shocked such a mistake was made and assure me this will never happen again. Sometimes I even feel bad for being so harsh on the phone. And, sure enough... The next statement is all messed up AGAIN!! I'm at my wit's end.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I can honestly say this company is garbage. 30-45 holds every time. At the beginning of the call the automated representative asks for information to speed the process yet when the actual representative gets on the line they have no clue who you are and you have to repeat the information. It takes over 10 business days for them to respond to an email or a letter. Representatives somehow know nothing and always transfer you to someone else. I am working on dropping this useless window licking poor excuse of a company. I see why you only get one star. Wish they gave the option of no stars.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Did not pay homeowner’s insurance until I called after it had been canceled. They paid it then my escrow was short... They paid me the HO insurance as an “overage” in escrow. They determined the “overage” before they even bothered to see that they hadn’t paid the HO insurance. Next they didn’t pay the home protection insurance that is included in what I pay monthly. I get a notice from the company after 8 months of being on the plan and paying the additional amount in my mortgage!

I have always paid my mortgage twice a month in a plan to pay down the mortgage with interest savings however Ditech’s web payment system is set up to only allow the full payment. This doesn’t allow me to pay my mortgage and benefit from interest savings. It has taken me a full year of absolute headache to figure out how their system works. IT IS BY DESIGN. I now mail my payments twice a month making darn sure that my statement clearly indicates money to go to where I want it to go to. The ** here is that if Ditch receives a partial payment from my personal bill pay service, Ditech puts it into a “side” account until they’ve received the full payment. This has resulted in me looking late on payments.

I’ve figured out their system. They may operate above the law but barely. I will gladly sign and participate in a class action lawsuit! Any day. I’m looking for another mortgage company. Much luck if you read the many reviews on this company and select them. You may however be a victim as I was in a refinance that got sold to this bottom feeding run operation. My next step is a letter with a year of activity and documentation to prove their unethical practices that cause harm to the consumer.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I lost my home during Hurricane Florence 2018. My Insurance co was prompt in getting everything done. It's when we had to send the insurance check to Ditech that things went south. They are refusing to pay off my loan and are withholding our money. I have called and each time I get another answer and it keeps going on and on. I have been hung up on and everything. Went to Lawyers and she was hung up on 5 times and still resolution so I guess it's time to sue.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Ditech has put a modified loan in charge off illegally. Payments that I sent from my bank 10 straight months are now not being posted to my account although I see that they've been deposited into Greentree acct. which now is being ran by Ditech. No help locating payment from them. Credit reports states I missed payment now... Headaches please DON'T deal with Ditech. They could care less about our family's HOME.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Sept., 2018 I called to make the payment on the 1st. They took the payment out twice! I discover this in a bank overdraft. (Another lie). Ditech said my husband set up auto-withdrawal as well. That was a lie to cover they had withdrawn both payments within 1 min per the bank. They said Supervisors do not take calls, but I could have my bank take a payment back if I didn't want to wait 15 business days. So I did. Then Ditech refunded me in about a week and called to say my Sept payment was late, charged me a late fee. I already had an overdraft fee thanks to them. So I tried to pay again via phone, but they said I'd written bad checks, so can't take a debit payment! With help from my bank, I got it paid.

Oct payment paid ok. Nov payment, again, they said their system refused the info because I had written bad checks (only due to Sept ordeal) so refused that payment. Gave me a sure-fire address to mail my check to, which I did. In the meantime, I get a call from Corp. asking me what's going on, as they see all the phone calls made! Sounded like this would all be fixed. Wrong! Corp tells me it never arrived in Nov. So now I have to go to bank for them to write a letter my account is in good standing, and I pay to stop payment on my lost check., (which they did not refund as they promised) and I must call 2 days before end of Nov to make Nov payment, and yes, a late fee I was promised they would not charge.

Then, the 1st day of Dec., I call to make my Dec payment. In Dec., I get a letter that I wrote them a bad check (oops, they DID get it) and now I have a fee for that, plus a late fee! For what? I'm all current! This company puts the D in DYSFUNCTIONAL. In process of filing a complaint to the Walter Company which owns them. Imagine they are D as well, and Attorney General's Office for all the money they owe. Then Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I suggest you do the same about this Company.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

We were affected by Florence as well. Still no money for repairs. Looking for anyone else in same situation and has anyone talked to a attorney to get a class action lawsuit against them. I've spent my own money to get a new roof on. They won't even reimburse me for that. I live in eastern North Carolina.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My loan originated from Green Tree Servicing which I was paying monthly $86 for almost 10 years and my principal never went down. Now that Ditech assumes the loan my payment went over $50 dollars and continues to go up monthly and they tell me I have a simple interest loan with variable interest. Now I have been with them three years my principal still continues to remain the same. I have asked for my original documents in 4 occasions and still this date they haven’t provided them to me. I have had several loans in my life but nothing like this. I am going to take legal action as I believe in getting scammed. There is no way on this earth I can be paying in a loan for 13 years to have the principal go down less the $3000.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My husband and I paid off our home over 6 months ago and after countless calls, have still been unable to get a release of lien!!! If you are looking to finance a new home with these incompetent people, think twice!!! I have asked everyone I speak with at the customer service number, "If you had paid your home off and could not get a release of lien, would you be upset and/or concerned?" This company needs to be investigated ASAP, something is NOT right over there.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Their customer service people need to get their act together. I called one day about sending over documentation and was told that it had to be faxed. I called three days later to confirm it was received. I was told it was not and that I could email it instead. Time and money wasted on going to FedEx to fax it. I also asked one rep. about credit report information and how it would impact my credit report if there was a late payment. She informed me that all I had to do was write a letter to them stating my situation to avoid any dings on the credit report. I called a few days later and asked someone the same question and she said that information was wrong. I could go on about their incompetence on other occasions but it that would just infuriate me more. Get it together, Ditech!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We have a mortgage with Ditech which started out as Green Tree. Our interest rate is 8 3/4 percent. I have tried for over 4 years to get the interest rate lowered. Ditech said I could apply for a loan modification. I did. They kept changing requests for more information after I had already sent them what they asked for. Eventually after almost 5 months they denied the modification. The denial came immediately, like the day after I sent their request for further documents. It was dated before I had sent the final documents. They didn't take anything I wrote about the "hardship" letter into consideration.

Because of their assurance that the mortgage would be modified I missed a payment or two over the five months. I'm still behind. They are always changing my person to contact and everything starts all over again. I had written a formal complaint to the State of New York but never heard anything about it. I'm glad to see that something is being done about these practices. How can I get information on what to do about filing a claim? Or do the courts have the names of the people who are involved? I was told that Green Tree and Ditech are one and the same. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Worst mortgage servicing company ever. If you have the option do not choose them. I had no choice because my servicing was assigned over to them. We own four other houses with all with different mortgages companies. This is by far the worst I’ve had to deal with. It has taken almost a year just to try and get an appraisal scheduled to drop the mortgage insurance. They are dragging their feet just so they can extend the amount of money they make each month.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been paying on my mortgage for 19 years. Ditech is applying all of my payment to interest. They take the extra money I send for the principal and put it toward the interest. They are so dishonest. I would not want anyone else to be treated like this.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I live in Kentucky and received wind damage to my roof. The insurance adjuster came and did his inspection and a few days later I received a check made out to me and Ditech, I called Ditech and they told me to send the endorse check and send it to them. With the insurance report and contractor estimate, which I did. That was back in early November. Still received nothing. Whenever I called them all I get is it will be 10 to 14 days. So I called my insurance company and they said Ditech had already cashed the check. I think that they are drawing interest off our money and that is why they hold it so long. So my roof is leaking destroying my house and the insurance company informed me that any future damage done will be my problem even though I'm waiting for Ditech so I can repair my roof. I said, "No one told me that," and he said he was sorry for that.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

3 months and still don't have my insurance money. I'm looking for anyone else, in NC, who still hasn't received their insurance money. Please email me at ** if you're willing to have your name and phone number added to a list to be presented to attorneys in NC. They have no legal right to keep our insurance money from us.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Site has took over servicing of my mortgage effective October 1. As I didn’t receive notification and I pay everything early I had already made November’s payment. December’s statement was received by us on November 25 with a due date of 12/1. Kind of hard to make a timely payment when the statement is so delayed. Then over the weekend I receive a notice that my homeowner's insurance has lapsed due to nonpayment. I have had no insurance on my home since November 25 and had no idea until I received notice of the lapse. It was due November 25. On NOVEMBER 30 they reach out to my insurance company. Ditech claims payment was made DECEMBER 1. NEARLY ONE WEEK AFTER CANCELLATION.

As I had no insurance I had no options but to make payment directly to the insurance company. It’s rather obvious to me that Ditech doesn’t care about their customers or the properties they have mortgages on. Nobody should have their insurance canceled during hurricane season because of their lender's failure to make payment. It doesn’t matter if a storm was threatening or the area is calm. You don’t allow coverage on your customer’s homes to lapse when you are escrowing the insurance. UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I had damage from hurricane Florence, the insurance company sent me the check promptly but it also had Ditechs name on it. I called them and was told do not endorse it. Send it in and they would endorse it and send it back within 10 to 14 business days. I did exactly as told. About 3 weeks later I got check back along with a letter saying I needed to endorse it and send it back to them so I did exactly as they asked and sent it back. It is now the 2nd of December and still no money to repair our home.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Like my fellow NC neighbors I too suffered hurricane damage from Florence and Ditech told me I didn’t endorse the check so they sent it back to me and I overnighted it again (twice) because I’m wanting to get my house fixed and I too was told 10-14 business days. This has caused so much headache with me and my contractor working on my house because he can’t pay his workers because Ditech has yet to send me the check back!!! I just want my house fixed. I don’t know why they act like it’s their money and don’t want to send my money!!! This company is messing with people’s lives out here!!! Don’t do business with them. I’m currently seeking legal action!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

You have all the pertinent info on file. I got no help from you or anyone. For 2 months, Ditech jerked us around. Price went from $24000 to $35000 two days before closing. Pull up Ditech reviews. You will see the problem. This company should have been closed down years ago. Anyone in management is a liar, mean-spirited and ruthless.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

After several bank consolidations my mortgage was sold to Green Tree. After Green Tree was fined $67 million for unfair and deceptive practices, its assets were assumed by the parent company, Ditech. Since I had an excellent credit history, I was not concerned that the Green Tree graduates at Ditech would impact my mortgage. Instead, they established an unauthorized "escrow account" without notice and applied my payments to "unapplied funds", attached late fees and increased the monthly payments to fund this fraudulent escrow account. I have and will continue to pay the original amount and have filed complaints with the Attorney General, The State Banking Department and the Federal Consumer Protection Bureau. We now have pending litigation to seek corrective action and punitive damages.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I normally don’t write reviews, but this time I am going to. Ditech is the worst company I have ever dealt with. They took over my mortgage last month and they screwed everything up. They didn’t pay my taxes. They didn’t pay my mortgage. In one month I’ve experienced so much headache that I’m ready to sell my house. They have the worst customer service. They don’t give a ** about their customers and they can care less. I can not wait for my mortgage to be transferred to another bank. If you are looking to get a mortgage, save your self a headache and go somewhere else. Even if it means pay a little more.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I received damages from Hurricane Florence and my insurance company sent adjuster and they did their review and sent me check within 10 days. This was in September. I called Ditech 3 times because check had both our names on it, representative told me to send check to them with 15.00 money order and prepaid envelope and they would endorse check and send it back to me. They sent the check back to me saying I must sign it and send it back to them, I did that and it has been 2 wéeks and they still have not sent me the money to make the repairs to my home. The representative said calls are recorded and you can do survey but that's not true because I want to leave my experience because they will not return your calls. This is ridiculous. You never get the same answer from the representatives. We have survived the storm only to be put through undue stress to get our home life back to normal.

Ditech Financial Company Information