1.10/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Looking for a mortgage provider?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Ditech Financial

We are in the business of helping Americans realize the dream of home ownership. The irony is that while buying a home can be a joyful and uplifting experience, getting a mortgage can be anything but. We aim to change that.

Our purpose: securing the American Dream

Our approach: helpful, responsive, efficient and fair

Our values: honesty, responsibility, transparency and creativity

Our promise: to put your needs first!

Find out more Find out more
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 7, 2017

645 Ditech Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

This company does not stand by their motto, they do not give a damn about their customers, they are all about the money. They will mess up your credit report to the point no one will refinance or have anything to do with you, you’re stuck! I sent extra monies for an alleged missed payment and asked for it to be applied to the UAF acct, they applied it to so called late fees. I read on this site, a lady sent extra money and wanted it applied to the principal, they applied it to UAF, so go figure, they decide, that is not right. You have to get an attorney involved in order to get "anything corrected"! They play psychological warfare and are rude and crude, I don't know how they stay in business, the state needs to lock their doors and see how they like it!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

They have the worst customer service. Trying to get my insurance claim from them. Showing receipts and pictures, but they act like its their money. They talk down to you and they will never come out and tell you what you need to do. My lawyers have to contact them for me and they cant even deal with them. The worst customer service company I have ever seen.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I've never had an issue with Ditech at all. My payment is always made on time. Therefore there is no reason to deal with them very often. I had an issue with my insurance company and ditech jumped in and helped me get it resolved.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

We did a refinance back in 2010 with Quicken Loans. We did not pick our lender, the company we had. I don't even remember had us for like 3 months, then switched us to Countrywide because we had a previous mortgage with them. Everything was fine, then we all know what happened to the housing market and Fannie Mae, so our loan went to Bank of America, no problem, then to GreenTree, no problems, then to Ditech... And this is trouble. In the past year we have been struggling and have a Chap. 13 filed to try to help us. If I make a 1/2 payment, it's late and a $62.00 service fee applies and the rest of the money goes to "unapplied". When I questioned this they told me this is standard practice, but then it came to them harassing us and they took us to court to "lift a stay" to foreclose and it was granted, but we had already caught up so they could do nothing...

Now we are in bind again and they are back to the old tricks and I spoke to our lawyer, he told me to ask them for the documents of our loan where we signed agreeing to "holding" money and not applying to principal. Ditech has an excuse, because they are servicing company, the documents have to be retrieved and from 2010, they are not sure where to locate them. As I write this today I got another letter, I owed $715.00 past due and they have already started proceedings to secure the collateral. Are you kidding me!!! These people need to be stopped...I want in a class action lawsuit. I am tired of the bullying.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

They did not include my insurance in my escrow. They were supposed to fix this two months ago. I went to make my monthly payment last week and it overdrafted my checking account. They said they would stop the payment. They didn't. I called Monday and was told they were running an escrow analysis and they would send me a check that day or the following day. I called today (Thursday), and they said it hadn't been started because there was an error but if I wanted they would run an analysis which would be 7 to 10 days. In the meantime, I have no money in my account. This is just an example of problems over the years. Who knows if they'll ever fix this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ditech Financial, LLC?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

This company is a big joke and is not in the least bit interested in customer service. I "inherited" them as my servicer when they purchased the company that held my loan. When I sold my property they sat on returning my escrow funds to me, it took me two months and repeated phone calls to get my money. When I thought we were done, they discovered they owed me another $200, of MY money, and guess what? They are playing the same games they played the first go around, I am now a month and one complaint filed with the Attorney General of Pennsylvania, into getting my funds. They are big-time liars, and will point fingers at everybody but themselves. And when you ask them, repeatedly, and nicely as a customer for them to fix their errors they continue to gameplay. Don't use them as a servicer if you can help it. There are many reputable, customer-focused loan servicers out there who will treat you much better then Ditech will.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

We all know that when your homeowners insurance gets cancelled, the mortgage company always places forced insurance on your property, usually at double the going rate. Well Ditech has found a way to make that happen, so they can get the insurance business... We have an escrow with them, and our property insurance is with Citizens (which in this day and age is nearly impossible to secure in Florida, especially during hurricane season)... So what does Ditech do? They bounced our escrow check to Citizens for the premium. YES, we got a letter from Citizens telling us the DITECH check was NSF. The letter was dated 9/6/17; 2 days before Irma hit Florida. Supposedly they are replacing the check, but it will take 6 days to get there, we only have 8 days until Citizens cancels our policy. What if it bounces again???!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

My mortgage originated in 1998 with Greentree Financial, low payments and an Apr. Over the years, my mortgage has been sold and bought, finally (unfortunately for me) ending up with Ditech. What a nightmare! THIS COMPANY IS A JOKE!!! My account representative has changed several times, the most recent is Daris... who keeps calling me while I'm at work even though I've asked him not to... and when I do call him back I never get to speak with him. The latest fiasco began July 25th when I emailed them asking for detailed information about my account... Their response was not what I had requested so I've sent yet another written request. REALLY??? How hard can it be to send the information I requested...

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

We have been paying a locked-in amount ever since we came out of a traumatic bankruptcy nearly two years ago. All of our debts were satisfied, including paying a monthly mortgage payment. Out of the blue, at the end of July, we began getting harassing and threatening phone calls and letters. Our contact has been some person by the name of Amber **. They're not following proper procedure; that was clearly our tip off, but it doesn't seem relevant to their plan, which is out and out thievery.

We've been in this house over 22 years and these clowns are not going to get away with this if I have any say in this. It's an out-and-out SCAM. I have notified donotcall.gov of this scam and I can only hope and pray that the FTC stops these jokers in their tracks before they claim any more innocent victims. Another tip off was the area code from which they're calling from. 904 is FL. What on earth are they calling from FL for? Someone STOP them now. One final issue. Where or who do we send our mortgage payments to??!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Ditech located at PO box 6127 Rapid City, SD 57709-6127/ Catherine credit union ** confirm. Has submitted my checks 3 times in July 2017 and 2 times before that costing me 120.00 total on purpose. This last time in June 2017 I went on vacation, wrote them a letter that my return date was July 11, 2017 and the payment would be there on the 5th of July 2017. They cash the July check first and it went through. I turned around and tried to cash the June check 3 times and it bounced each time.

I called them and they said that it was only submitted 2 times. That was not true. They told me they don't hold checks. I stated "if you don't you should have called me or return the check back. We are supposed to be doing business together." Return the check back and I will send another one, "we don't have it was shredded." That was because you cashed the July check first and tried to do June. Ask for a letter that the check was shredded received it but it did not state which check it was and kept calling me using different people to send the new check using unknown numbers. Now I can't buy much food/had to get my meds, I am retired at 69. I don't need the stress of unfair practices. On stress meds, pressure and type 2. I need my money or sue. Thanks for your help.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

We sold our house and requested the payoff. We were sending Ditech money. Took two weeks to obtain it and we received the information on the morning of the closing. We had to hire an attorney to obtain the information. The people there do not communicate and when they do they don't have an answer for you. It seems like they would want the money. When you get to talk to a human being, they don't have the answers and say they will get back to you... Hog wash. Terrible company. I can see them going out of business soon... Hopefully.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

One star rating is too high. My mortgage was sold to Ditech and I wish it hadn't because I would never choose Ditech to service my loan. I closed escrow on June 8th 2017 and I have a surplus in my escrow account of 728.00. It has been over 2 months since the close and I still have not received the surplus leftover from my account. Every time I call I am told the check is in the mail and I need to wait another week. I have been told that for the last 4 weeks. I spoke with a Stacey and Carmen and both told me there was nothing else that can be done. They refuse to send an electronic payment to my checking account. For little guys like us there really is no way to fight a large corporation like Ditech. Ditech is corrupt.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

Eagle Bank sold my mortgage without notifications for Ditech Financial. The interest I pay every month is twice than my principal for the last 2 years. The whole process was not clear for me. They are robbing my money. I will never recommend this company for everyone. They have ethical responsibility when they do business... please don't get service from them. Eagle Bank and Ditech Financial.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

In February 2016 I received a supplemental tax bill from the LA County. I contacted Ditech and asked if this would be escrowed. They advised that I could personally cut a check or send to Ditech to be escrowed. I completed the forms and faxed to Ditech as instructed to be escrowed, receiving a "transmission sent" response via fax. This year I received an escrow shortage of over $13k (a whole other issue) for 2016. Upon reviewing the escrow shortage statement there is a $550 delinquency charge for the supplemental tax bill, which Ditech paid in August 2016, six months after I requested it be escrowed.

I contacted Ditech who transferred me from department to department, no one explaining anything to the next representative, so I had to repeat myself again and again. The tax department advised that the customer service rep that I spoke to should never have given me the option to escrow. The customer service department advised that the tax department should have paid the tax bill when I faxed it. Either issue is NOT my problem, but neither department would correct the error and remove the charge. I was literally on the phone while the two departments had it out with each other, coming to no resolution.

I have exhausted all options in speaking to supervisors and no one will take responsibility for this error and the $550 delinquency charge is still on my account. Meanwhile I have been trying to get an answer for another issue and each time I call no one has kept notes from my previous call. It is beyond unprofessional and really needs to be resolved.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Worst company, ever. My loan was sold to them. :( Wish there was a minus-star rating. Spoken to many people there about an issue of them only applying payments to interest. NOTHING to principal. No one helps. I am at my wits end with them. Filed a complaint with my state banking department. Ditech just wants to wear me down. They could care less about their customers.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

This company has lost 5 months of my mortgage payments, I have spoken with the supervisor who mentioned to me they reversed my payments and don't know why nor do they know where the money is. I have never missed a payment. Not only have they done that they have reported it on my credit!!! Consumer service is awful. Something needs to be done with this company. Now they are threatening foreclosure for their mistake which is still in dispute.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I am on Social Security Disability. When my son turned 18, I lost my Social Security for him. This was a net loss income of over $12,000. Fell behind on my mortgage. Asked for a hardship modification as my household income had dropped dramatically. Big mistake. Sent in all registered, return receipt mail. The first time, Ditech said, (after 3 months) that some forms were missing. I was sure I sent the forms in, but I sent them in again. The adjustment offered was less than $100 on a $2002 mortgage payment. They also wanted to increase my interest rate from 1% to 4%. Now I realize when your credit is affected, so can the interest rate.

I called Ditech and asked if they could reconsider their amount. I was told that to send in a letter asking that they review the application. I got the mans name and date of the call. This gentleman said that the account was on hold until another review can be done by the underwriters. I then got a letter that I did not accept the modification fast enough, so it was voided. They were quite rude on the phone and condescending. A supervisor said that he would review the recorded call. I got a call stating that the man promised no such thing. But they would allow me to apply again as my son had gotten a job to assist with the mortgage.

Gathered all the forms again and there were many, this time including tax returns and pay stubs from my son. I had everyone in the home witness what was going into the envelope and again sent it registered mail, return receipt. About 3 months later, I received a call from Ditech that I was missing forms. The forms they said were missing all agreed in my home had been sent. This had been the third time I had sent in these papers and I made an itemized list. Ditech had either lost the forms or is trying anyway they can to fail me. An attorney served us with notice of going into foreclosure. I have been in this home since 1993. My 19 year old son live with me along with my wife and 86 year old infirm mother. I may have no choice, but bankruptcy.

I do not blame anyone for my disability or the large loss of income as that is life. All I wanted to do was to pay by bills. Ditech said that they were trying to help me. I can send in the papers return receipt, but they can claim, I left papers out. This company may be and I say maybe alright if you have no problems, if you stumble, they will misrepresent facts and drag their feet for months so that you default. I would avoid them at all cost.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Trying to refi with Ditech has been absolutely horrible.!!! The one helpful person we talked to gave us a phone # and it did not connect to him!!! I waited on "hold" for various reasons for well over 2 hours!!! Their Chat process did not connect to a person. Absolutely horrible!!! I could not actually put a real review on their site. So it is obvious the positive reviews are fake!!!

Original review: July 26, 2017

My husband and I were in the process of refinancing our mortgage with Ditech all set to close in 2 days. Everything completed, they came to us today, and said they couldn't do it. WTF? Seriously??? We have everything scheduled. Now we are scrambling. They have strung us along for 60 days! They need this, they need that, they have everything of ours!!! 2 days before we close!! DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE PEOPLE THEY ARE CROOKS.

Original review: July 26, 2017

The people here are very rude and obnoxious. They call and harass you everyday about even $5 dollars if you're short. And I think is just plain pathetic!!! The workers there are rude and so are the supervisors. Today 7/25/17 I spoke with a representative about a payment issue that I spoke to someone in the office three days ago about the same issue. I was told everything would be taken care of and my account would be notated. But instead I received this call today from a very rude representative who had no manners and was very unprofessional. So I asked to speak to a supervisor and his name was Cody. He acted worse than she did.

I asked him for his last name so I could report him and he said he was not going to give me anything. The whole time I was explaining my family and financial situation this rude man told me that was irrelevant to what he wants to hear. Then just kept bugging me over $96 dollars that I already arranged to be paid earlier three or four days ago. But the big dagger was when this man told me in a very rude and derogatory manner to "Go Get On Welfare Or United Way"!!! I want a lawsuit for the way I was treated today and every other time they call. They harass everyone. Please do not do business here!!! Ever!!!!

Original review: July 21, 2017

I just got off the phone with the customer service rep. She was not able to help me to my satisfaction so I requested to speak with a supervisor. She told me that the supervisor would not call me back. I will be refinancing and getting as far away from them as possible.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Never missed a payment in 10 years. The second mortgage was due on 5/7. Sold my house 5/10. It was a 3 week escrow. Spoke to Ditech x3 times that house was sold and customer service said it would not be a problem or affect credit rating. These are discoverable recorded conversations that will affirm this including "You are covered till 6/12 ". I even reiterated, "This won't affect my credit because I will pay it right now over the phone." They did not credit the payment in FULL the mortgage balance with a late fee until 6/9. House was closed. DONE.

Ditech sent the late alert to first credit agency on 6/1 (only 23 days late) again to another agency on 7/19! Customer service said it was my fault because I missed May payment and the 30 days past due starts on the first of every month not the date the mortgage was due. Customer service refused to help me or amend. This company is Fraudulent. If there was a rating less than 1 star they would get it. I feel sorry for customers that have due dates on the 27th of the month. By their explanation to me they will be sent to credit companies on the 1st of that next month. FLAWED. I have requested the dates and content of the 3 conversations.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Ditech is a servicing center not a mortgage company. They are servicing company utilized by mortgage companies to screw up your loan and do illegal practices and misappropriation of funds and the mortgage company is not technically involved. Ditech has screwed up my payments to them for over a year. Every month I called and told them how to apply my payment. I like a dummy was sending extra money per month in an attempt to pay off the loan and instead of them applying my funds to the principal they funneled my payments in a dummy account and allowed it to sit there and just accumulate for months even allowed payments intended for my monthly payments to sit there also.

I started to record Ditech every time I call to show them how inconsistent my interaction varied with each party I spoke to and what I was told. Due to their incompetence they have attempted to assess late fees. They have attempted to place me in default. They have sent me collection letters. They have come to my home all the while my account was not only current but paid ahead by one month. They have attempted to get money out of me any way they can. I pay my own mortgage insurance and stormwater bill and each time they create a lie (such as an increase in taxes or stormwater bill received) to justify my payment increasing.

They are busted in a lie dismantling their claim. They are corrupt and adhere to illegal fair collection practices. CFPB is useless and doesn't help with anything but get a response from them regarding their practice and then closes the case. This government is useless because no enforcement of corrupt companies.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I found out that since I actually pay my bill on time and actually pay attention to what is sent to me I have no issues with Ditech. I am yet to have any issues as I do things as I am supposed to. If people just did the right thing they would have no issues. Also people should know you can't change credit reporting so deal with it.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Avoid doing business with this mortgage company at all costs. I always make my payments on time. However, whenever I call for whatever the need is, the tonality of the customer service associates is short and cold - as if I am the enemy and "why are you bothering us?" Also, I find it interesting that they often call me to inquire on the status of my payment when it has already cleared my bank ON TIME. Businesses such as this should NOT exist.

Original review: July 15, 2017

Applied for what THEY said was HARP refinance in late August 2016, 2 months before I retired. Long story short: they yanked me around until January, 2017 with CRAP like needing income verification (even though THEY had told me verification is not needed for a HARP) and finally denied because EMPLOYMENT could not be verified (DUH! I was retired). SO, I decided to try and pay them off. They got $57,000 in May 2017 and have YET to get the payoff quote or the principal balance & interest for remaining payments correct (July 15, 2017). They are yanking me around again, increasing the payoff quote every time I question it. They need to be put out of business based on my experience and all these other heinous reviews. I am sure they will look for some way to mess with my credit as well because they are obviously morally corrupt. GreenTree became Ditech; CitiMortgage sold my loan to GreenTree.

Original review: July 10, 2017

The post office lost my mortgage payment for three weeks. I noticed the money not coming out of my bank 1 day after the due date and made the payment on-line. I spoke with customer service and they said their hands are tied on late fees and they do not override them unless it's their fault. At that time I told them I would put a stop payment on the check because I did not want my payment coming out of my bank twice after paying it online. They said they would note my account so if the check came in they would not cash it. They tried to cash it anyway and sent me a collection letter even though the account was up to date.

I called in again and asked now they had proof the check was mailed on time because they surely could see the post mark could they credit the late fee. Once again I got the "our hands are tied" comment. This is terrible customer relations, especially because I've never been late and I always pay additional principal on my mortgage. I also have a second mortgage with them with no issues. I would recommend not getting a mortgage from this business if you have other choices.

Original review: July 7, 2017

We started with Green Tree. But there were problems with roof & guarantee was in effect. But with pressure they half-ass fixed it. Then without our approval we were with Ditech mortgage. Been paying payments for 17 years & still owe 50k. Also insurance through escrow is total crap. We had huge oak tree hanging & they said, "Let it fall then call us." Well our entire screen porch was took out & back bdr had hole punched in roof as well. They made it 3 separate claims that didn't total to 5000 bucks. Our whole town had tornadoes but they stapled our shingles on the warranty company.

These finance rates & late charges remind me of organized crime or pawn shops. This injustice from our situation & also many others from seeing complaints. We plan on filing civil suit!! Someone has to do something. They are doing variable rate when we signed a fixed it interest contract. We should file a class action suit from what complaints I've read & what we have dealt with & fees. How could we pay almost 500 a month for 17 years & still owe 50 k when 55 k was purchase price.

Original review: July 2, 2017

I filled out an application for the HAMP program in September of 2016. I can't count how many times that I called for an update. 9 months later they came back with a denial. The gal on the phone when asked why said I could not afford the home. I make $22.00 an hour with a mortgage of 161.000. I hit hard times prior with a loss of a long term position. I sold my home and contacted them requesting a payoff. One month and many calls telling them that I am under contract, they hit me with a foreclosure. I cannot believe the amount of calls made only to have my point of contact have their voicemail full with no way to leave messages. I only hope this company has enough civil suits to put an end to Ditech a Walter Company.

Original review: July 1, 2017

Did not pay property taxes on time!!! Ditech sent the tax payment to the wrong county using the wrong parcel number. (No idea where they got that info). We advised Ditech on 6/2 of the error. Were advised that they would look into it and to call back on 6/22. Called back on 6/22, were advised that payment was sent on 6/15 and given a tracking number (payment not sent and tracking number was BOGUS!). Called on 6/28 to advise that payment had not been received by County Assessor's Office. Were advised that it had been approved to pay taxes plus late penalty and would be overnighted by the due date of 6/30. Payment not received by Assessor's Office on 6/30. Called again and were given same line of it had been sent on 6/15.

Was told to call back on 7/3 so our ordeal continues... We will be closing our Escrow account and paying our property taxes and homeowner's insurance directly from here on out. If you have a means to have your loan sold to another mortgage company/bank, I highly encourage you to do that. We are looking into this. ABSOLUTE INCOMPETENCE!!!

Ditech Financial Company Information