Ditech Financial
3.45/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Ditech Financial

We are in the business of helping Americans realize the dream of home ownership. The irony is that while buying a home can be a joyful and uplifting experience, getting a mortgage can be anything but. We aim to change that.

Our purpose: securing the American Dream

Our approach: helpful, responsive, efficient and fair

Our values: honesty, responsibility, transparency and creativity

Our promise: to put your needs first!

3221 Ditech Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I stumbled across this searching for the Ditech website. I was surprised by all the negative reviews. I need to call them to discuss my escrow account. Other than long wait times on hold they have been fine. I even did a refi a year or so ago to lower my rate and it went smoothly.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I was surprised how helpful Ditech was after reading these horrible reviews. My loan was sold to Ditech and there was confusion. They cashed my check but did not apply it to loan, I guess my old mortgage sent them old letter from June saying my escrow was short. So Ditech thought my loan needed to go up $38. I paid my loan amount which was short. I had paid the lump sum to keep mortgage same. So for now I will pay the extra $38 till it is cleared up. Rita spent like 20 minutes clearing this up for me, looking up the check, where it went, why not applied, she took my shortage of $38 to clear it up within 24-24 hours. I was very relieved since I have perfect credit and do not want to ruin it. She also e-mailed me everything we talked about.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

They make you work for the commitment, lots of record producing etc. But once you get it it becomes easy. They are decent people and will not leave you hanging. Friendly and professional.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Ever since they filed for Chpt 11 back in Feb, for the second time in as many years, their service has dropped worse than a lead balloon. I had damage to my home from a storm and had to send in the repair check from the insurance company for endorsement. First they say that $20K or higher and they hold the money and they pay the contractors. They got real ** about it so I tell the rep to kiss my back side and get me an supervisor. Then the threats start about, "This is a recorded call and you cannot be talking to us rudely..." blah blah blah. Well I record my calls too so as this is MY insurance company, my check, I will deal with paying the contractors. Had to fight about this for about 4 days. Then I finally get sent to claims and they say it is $30 or higher so they will just endorse it and return it. 7 - 10 days.

So per their instructions, I sent the check overnight, with a pre-paid label and envelope for overnight return. The check gets to them the following day on April 30th. Yesterday, May 16th it is finally on its way back. 2 WEEKS!!! To rubber stamp the check and stick it back in an envelope! In the meantime, we have had rain storms and now there is more damage! I have had the contractors on hold ready to work for 4 weeks! Repairs would only take a day, maybe two! So now I need to file another claim and pay another $1000 deductible because of Ditech's lack of any customer service.

Seriously thinking of getting an attorney and at the very least raking them across the coals publicly. And the check won't be here until Monday. 3 DAYS. Why did I pay for quick return label if they aren't going to use it? Ditech doesn't care what they do to their customers. Only if they are trying to open a new account. Then they treat them like garbage. Time for a refi to get away from them.

Original review: May 14, 2019

My mortgage payments has never been late in 22 years. Under Ditech my statements stopped or come late. Payment due on the 10 of the month - no statement so I mailed my payment off without a statement. Need some help letters and their representative or no help. Last payment for May was sent certified mail. 7 day later no payment posted.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ditech Financial, LLC?

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have been sending extra money to Ditech for some time now. A few months ago, they started taking my extra payments and placing them in interest only? Even though I have never been late on any payments. I decided to pay the loan off, but now they won't give me a payoff quote. I don't understand what's going on. I email them weekly with no response. I call, I'm told they're reviewing my request, but yet no answers? They seem to dodge you at every corner. This has been a horrible experience for sure. I would not use this bank for any reason.

Original review: May 12, 2019

This company should not be allowed to be in business, they apply funds at the incorrect date, do not read notes and do not apply funds correctly. The longer mistakes are made the more corrections, affecting 1098s, etc. Companies should not be allowed to sell these businesses on, time and time again. Countrywide to Bank of America, BOA to GreenTree, GreenTree to Ditech, now who knows. Disgraceful practices.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Ditech went Ch. 11 in February. I blame Fannie Mae, the holder of the mortgage, for being uncaring to us, the borrower, for allowing such horrible care by a servicer they chose. We had no choice. Now must take whoever they give us once again.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I'm really disappointed with this company, they're corrupt, they're stealing money from us with any excuse. I called several times because I put extra money on the principal and they applied like a regular payment. I have no response still on fixing my payment. My payments increased too. This company needs to be shut down. They have a lot of bad reviews.

Original review: May 8, 2019

My husband and I have been reading these reviews and need help with this bankruptcy letter and getting a lawyer. Please email me at **. We have had bad experiences with payments not being applied and escrow letters. Please help.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I cannot understand why so many people depend on Ditech to properly credit payments when they send them by mail. I cannot understand why anyone would trust this company with their bank information, to have them "autopay" the mortgage. I cannot understand why anyone would choose NOT to use billpay with this company. They have shown they will delay crediting payments, credit them inappropriately, and still people use the U.S. mail or autopay.

USE YOUR BANK's billpay service. Just enter their address and name like you would anyone's in your bank's billpay service. YES, DITECH accepts payments electronically! I've been paying Ditech/Green Tree this way ever since my mortgage was transferred to Green Tree, years ago. That has worked out. Now for the bad. My last payment was paid electronically on May 1st, and that is when Ditech received it. Today is Monday, May 6th. Ditech still does not show my payment on the website.

I do not know of ANY other company that takes over 5 days to show credit of a payment! Last month Ditech took only 2 business days to credit my payment, so this inconsistency is strange, but in line with what I know about Ditech. With all these inconsistencies and ineptitudes, I plan to pay off my mortgage balance via billpay until it's about $5 or less, then use their payoff process, since at that point the per diem interest won't change much from day to day and they won't be able to screw me, as I know they would if I sent it on day 1 of the 10 day payoff period.

So my advice to people with a Ditech mortgage is to give the company no chance to screw them by using billpay. Then they have a record of the payment, the amount, and the time Ditech received their payment. All of these complaints about sending Ditech this or that by mail are just sad. Never send anything to Ditech by mail except an official complaint or your final (very small) payoff. Always use billpay! They accept payment electronically, they just do not have this information on their website.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Extra fund you send in get put wherever they decide to put them. They forced me into escrow for property taxes and paid my city taxes without any conversation with myself. I had sent in my check and had it returned to me with letter telling me the taxes had already been paid by mortgage company.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I was the only one on the discharge since my wife wanted to keep the house the loan went to her. We left it when she went into a nursing home. It went into foreclosure. She died before the actual foreclosure paperwork was started according the records I have. These idiots still send her mail for home insurance and even though the foreclosure is final. I keep sending it back. They have no idea what they are doing including the lawyers who represented them in the foreclosure. They tried sending me stuff and I told them where to go and if they contact me again they will be sued for harassment. They don't seem to know what a bankruptcy discharge means.

Plus the judge and Ditech's lawyers got a copy of my late wife's death certificate. They don't have a clue as to what they are doing. The house was supposed to be auctioned off April 17, 2019. I assume it has been done. Just got a notice today to her from Ditech about insurance on the house, I didn't open it. I just sent it back. I can keep returning anything from them in "Please return to sender. Person does not live here. She is dead." I can see why Ditech is filing bankruptcy. They don't have a clue on how to run a business plus their employees must not have an education higher than preschool.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I received a mortgage statement showing I was past due when I sent 2 payments in at one time due to the fact we are going out of town for a funeral. I sent 2 separate checks. They applied them both (they have been cashed) and applied 1 check all to principal. When I called to get this corrected they were rude and treated me like I made the mistake. 1st call to them was April 23rd 2019, then their collector called me on April 25th, I explained to him what was going on and he didn't even look at the customer servicing notes on the account.

I called back on the April 27rh and talked to the original girl I talked to on the 23rd to see if it was corrected and she was rude. She said that was not her department. When asked for a supervisor she hung up on me. I called back after going through 2 more customer service reps and got a supervisor, who said she would handle. In mean time I have to make another payment because they're showing me late. This is very upsetting, this is my home and credit! I have never been late on a payment in my life. I take pride in keeping my mortgage current. I pay extra every month to principal. I feel like the supervisor said she would handle just to get me off the phone. She suppose to call me back on April 29th, but the first girl was also suppose to call me back and she never did. I have no trust in this company.

Original review: April 26, 2019

We made a payoff offer which Ditech accepted so we paid. However we are still getting billing statements and can't reach anyone by phone. Now we worry someone will try to take our home and don't know who to contact or what to do.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Ditech a/k/a Reverse Mortgage/Urban Financial has made our lives miserable. We took out a reverse mortgage in 2011. We were unable to pay our property taxes, so they (Reverse Mortgage Solutions (RMS)) paid them, agreeing to add them into the principal of our loan...which we never got in writing. They decided to foreclose in 2016, so we hired an attorney to represent us. The attorney took it to court, judge vacated the foreclosure. We had to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. A year and a half later bankruptcy was discharged.

Again RMS decides to take us to court, so we filed a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, which was discharged successfully. After said discharge RMS decides to come after us again, foreclosure! We are now in our second Chapter 13 bankruptcy, all because of RMS/Urban Financial/Ditech scumbags. They would foreclose on their mothers. The whole point of this review is to add that Urban Financial is now in Chapter 11 foreclosure! So who is suing us to foreclose? Is it Ditech? Is it Urban Financial?...or is it Reverse Mortgage Solutions? They are all one and the same!

Original review: April 22, 2019

My home burned to the ground on 7/8/18 and because I have a mortgage I was told by my insurance company I had to send the insurance funds to DiTech to manage the money because they have a vested interest in my property. We have started our rebuild and I can't get Ditech to release my insurance funds so we can rebuild. I've called numerous times only to get a different story each time. Once even being told that because of a bankruptcy the investors will not be issuing payments..... OMG WHAT bankruptcy and why in the hell are these investors making a decision with my insurance funds....

This has been the most stressful time of my life next to losing my home and every piece of personal possession I owned, I can't sleep my anxiety is through the roof. This has to be the worst mortgage company ever. Their customer service is horrible and they obviously don't give a rats ** about me the consumer. I truly believe they've all been handed a script to read to the consumer which never means anything. They leave you on hold for hrs at a time and then the next person that decides to answer the phone is laughing at my expense.

Original review: April 20, 2019

A couple of weeks ago Ditech sent mail let me know that my account # will be change to a new account # do to the new internal system they are updating. WE call them right away and did get through and talk to 2 different department. The last department was the legal department. the gave us the run a round speech also. We let them know that they do not have our permission to change our account # and to stop and to cease. I sent a letter to the department as well saying the same thing I say over the phone. 1 week later I get 2 letters back, one for customer service department let us know that our account is under investigation and the account is frozen until further notice. 2nd letter came from there legal department letting us know that Ditech has filed for bankruptcy. When writing a review and needing help to fight these illegal action please leave your email address so someone can get back to you and try to help out.

Original review: April 18, 2019

During March Ditech sent us a letter, representing themselves as a bill collector no less, saying they filed for bankruptcy. They informed us our mortgage account will be now handled by a company named Loancare. The transition has not gone smoothly. Most importantly, if you have a now defunct Ditech mortgage account, any money that was being withdrawn and paid to “Optional Insurance/Other Products is NOT being picked up by Loancare. You won’t find this out until Loancare takes its first mortgage payment from your checking or savings account and you hopefully notice the shortfall.

In my case the additional $$ were going to Ace/Chubb Insurance for Disaster Mortgage Protection. Ditech, nor Loancare never informed me, and Ace/Chubb also had their head in the sand and never noticed they had not received my premium payment. Put simply, my additional insurance could have lapsed and no one would have known, including me! If you have Ditech and they are dumping you into Loancare be vigilant. Also, Ace/Chubb acts like this is not their problem. Their customer service is dismal at best. Good luck.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have never been late with a payment. After making a payment online in April 2019 I noticed the payment was not processed after a few days. I logged into to confirm and noticed the payment was not scheduled to be applied until almost 28 days AFTER I made the payment. For many years I paid online and it was applied the next day or shortly after. Not sure if this is their new way to collect extra late payments but it's not right. SO to all of you people reading - next time you make an online payment LOOK CAREFULLY at the created date and the scheduled date. They may adjust the scheduled date automatically and then blame you for not changing it yourself. Read the other reviews below. I know for many of us we had no choice on Ditech after banks sold the mortgage to them but they absolutely suck.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Looking to lock down a fixed interest rate and a shorter term to eventually own the house outright, we reached out to our home loan serving company, Ditech. The loan process was lengthy but we closed on the loan. Fast forward, we have received the payoff paperwork and a notice that Ditech has sold our loan off to another company. We have contacted what is stated to be the new loan serving company and they have no record of our loan belonging to them. We have reached out to Ditech for direction and who to pay for our upcoming due date. No luck. No one has any idea on who owns our mortgage now.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Tried to cancel my escrow on my home and they denied doing it for me. Poor company to deal with. They want you to lose your home. Use to be Green Tree servicing years ago. Been under chapter 11 2 times in 14 months.

Original review: April 14, 2019

First of all, I've never had a late payment. All of my credit is paid on-time. I have ZERO derogatory credit, no lates payments, etc. I always pay my mortgage payment "serviced" by Ditech through their online system. I've never had an issue, until March of 2019. I made the first payment attempt and there wasn't any "pending payment" on our online account. I didn't know about Ditech filing for bankruptcy, until yesterday. I waited a few days and called Ditech, after waiting on hold for over an hour, the "customer service" agent was very evasive and it wasn't clear if my payment had been received online there. I asked him if Ditech was having computer issues because this hasn't happened before. He told me he wasn't sure. I started to feel very concerned. I couldn't get any answers from the "customer service agent."

I waited a few more days and it seemed as though the payment wasn't recorded, so I tried to make another payment and the system auto-populated this message, "You already have a payment pending, are you sure you want to make another one?" I waited a few more days and the payment wasn't showing up on my account online. I tried to make another payment and the same message appeared, "You already have a payment pending."

I made my April payment and the March payment showed as not paid! Their system had NO PAYMENT for March. I paid both right away! However, now I can't sleep and am frantic because my credit will undoubtedly be DESTROYED because of this!! And I'm never late, with any payments for any account. I've very worried and upset about this. I phone Ditech yesterday, after holding for over an hour, I spoke with a "customer service" agent that wasn't able to help me at all. He put me on hold, and after waiting another 58 minutes, the call was dropped! I am so worried about my credit now. :'( :'( Can anyone help me?

Original review: April 14, 2019

I was reading recent reviews on Ditech and multiple reviews match my situation, I received my May 2019 Statement on April 12, 2019, and of course they overpaid my Hazard Insurance then what was due and now my escrow account reflects a negative balance. I also called them right away (April 12) and after 40 minutes on hold I hang up and called again but after waiting 20 minutes on hold I gave up. I decided to call Saturday morning (April 13) and got lucky someone answered the phone but very familiar they could not answer me as to why they overpaid my Hazard Insurance by $926, they asked me to call back on Monday. It scares me to know how many complaints there is regarding their shady accounting practices and our Government allows them to still be in business and scam us consumers.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have been fighting with Ditech for many years. For about 2 complete years, they charged my account $30 monthly, because they said they had to send someone to my home to prove I still lived there! They sent me a notice of an escrow shortage, which I paid, only to find out my escrow was now overpaid. I asked to have it applied to the principal and they never could figure out how to do that. I was on a bi-weekly payment schedule, but that rarely worked, since they held the payment until the monthly due date and did not apply it correctly. I will never do business with them again, if I can help it! They don't even deserve 1 star.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I have been paying my mortgage 1st of the month on automatic payment. Just recently I paid 1st of the month and the payment got returned on April 5th. Re-sent the payment again for April 10th, I tried getting support through phone and could NOT get anyone! I was on hold for 2 hours at time without getting any support representative. I keep track of mortgage payments and the payments haven't been processed yet! My concern is that Ditech filed for bankruptcy. Checked on Ditech reviews and it appears Ditech is has a history of fraudulent behavior, it is now a concern for me. I sent messages through the site and no one still got back to me to confirm that my payments was processed. I have recorded the transactions and payments I sent if in case this company acts fraudulently as shown on numerous reviews in ConsumerAffairs.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Owned our home 14 months. Mortgage was sold to Ditech. To date have received no paperwork. Emails or phone calls. Not even that they raised our fixed mortgage payment. Literally waited 47 minutes to get thru. Finally get answered by argumentative operator who not only wouldn't listen to issues, but overtalked us. Ask for supervisor, she did some checking and came up with different information and answers. Said we needed tax department. 3rd person. Got tax guy, said taxes were fine. No worries. Please hold. Hung up on us. Call back. We are now into phone call for almost 90 minutes. Call back. Get a different person, gave us totally different information and completely not listening. Clearing not listening!

We ask for supervisor, get a different one now. Just a note, their customer service is terrible. Try to rush you off phone and hear what they want. She says we need accounting now. So. We get accounting person with no patience. This one tells us that Ditech withdrew monies to pay taxes etc in an amount totally over and above what we owed and we now have to pay them back for their mistake. Ridiculous. Their mistake!! From beginning to end, this was a nightmare situation. Do not use Ditech. I work in customer service on recorded lines as well. I was shocked at their customer service and how completely unwilling to resolve an issue their agents come across. There is a huge trust issue.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My mortgage was sold to Ditech a few years ago and I have had multiple issues with them. First and foremost, it is nearly impossible to get someone to talk to you. My agent and myself have spent several days of being on hold from 20 minutes - over an HOUR! When I finally am able to get through, the customer service rep cannot answer questions or confirm receipt of new changes of insurance. In my most recent experience, I called weeks in advance to inform them I was changing my flood insurance. I stated very clearly to make a note in my account to NOT pay the upcoming renewal insurance. The rep put me on hold, told me exactly how to proceed and said he'd take care of it.

We've tried to confirm they received cancellation and proof of new insurance. Roughly hours of holding and talking to 4 different people and they aren't able to tell me anything. In fact, it looks as though they have not only paid the old flood insurance, but have also paid out the new insurance too. This equates to THOUSANDS of dollars. I don't know how this can even be legal. I am so frustrated I have considered refinancing just to get a different mortgage company. RUN from Ditech. You will never get a hold of anyone who knows anything about your account.

Original review: April 10, 2019

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. They took my mortgage payment in March and applied 0 to interest, 0 to principal, and 0 to escrow. Then in April, they sent me a statement showing me as owing both March and April's payments (even though their payment history showed the March payment). When I called to ask what was up, they said they were having some system problems but that they would be fixed by April 4th. Then today, I get a call from a debt collector trying to get me to pay both payments! I explain everything and when they review my account, they say "Okay, you're current."

So then I ask for something in writing that says I'm current and they say they cannot give me anything in writing. I then asked for a supervisor who basically refused to come to the phone. I asked them what they've reported to the credit agencies and they say, "Oh it's okay. We didn't report anything" even though their crap system shows me as 37 days past the March payment due date. What's next - a sheriff's notice of foreclosure? These guys suck.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I received a notice of Bankruptcy from Ditech. After reviewing the Notice online and reading these reviews, the financials are starting to come full circle. I received a Escrow Shortage from Ditech dated September 20, 2018. I can understand taxes go up and homeowners due to the claim I filed for roof damage during one of the storms in Texas. The shortage amount was for $4,787.70. Wow, I thought a bit extreme but I gathered the money and paid with cashier's check on 11-15-2018 and mailed it off. DONE! Paid! WRONG! I received another notice for Escrow Shortage on 3-12-2019 for $4,842.64. I called very angry as to why am I getting another notice when I paid in November, 2018. My call took forever - at least a 30 minute - but I was going to HOLD because this is my money and my house. All the representative would say was that it must have been overlooked and will have someone get back to me.

To this day, no letter and no call from Ditech. Not only that but when I began searching to refinance my loan, I was told I had two mortgages with DITECH. So I had to call again and apparently since more than one bankruptcy had been filed the name was changed from Ditech Financial to Ditech. In the meantime, I am still trying to contact someone regarding this 2nd Shortage payments. I do not believe my taxes and homeowners insurance exceed to almost $9,500.00! This company really needs to get their finances in order!

Ditech Financial Company Information