Ditech Financial
1.11/5
  • 1 star
Based on 182 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a mortgage lender?

Ditech Financial

We are in the business of helping Americans realize the dream of home ownership. The irony is that while buying a home can be a joyful and uplifting experience, getting a mortgage can be anything but. We aim to change that.

Our purpose: securing the American Dream

Our approach: helpful, responsive, efficient and fair

Our values: honesty, responsibility, transparency and creativity

Our promise: to put your needs first!

FIND OUT MORE FIND OUT MORE
    Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 18, 2018

3007 Ditech Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I have been with Ditech for a couple of years. Mortgage and escrow are paid by my banking mail service because Ditech does not have interaction through other bank ACH’s. If you log on to their Ditech website, the ACH is acceptable. For the several months I have set up 10 days mailing delivery cushion before the due date through my bank system.

This has been effective but for the last 3 months the check has not been received on time resulting in late fees. I have called Ditech customer services explaining my frustration and presented proof that my bank has mailed (USPS) with exception cushion of deliver days. Ditech refused to dismiss the late fees. My opinion and only my opinion that they are holding clearing checks through the account system because today I notified them I was placing a stop payment on the check, but all of a sudden they received the check. There should be an internal control audit on their accounts receivable process by reviewing their PO Box 94710 receipts and posting dates.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

When I tried to make the payment online it will not let me make the payment because we were behind one month so I called in to pay half the payment and Jasmine the person that was helping me was very rude. She asked to speak to my husband. I got him on the phone. He gave his permission for me to pay the bill and she refused to take that and he was at work. I just think Jasmine just was very rude. The first time I ever had this hard to make a payment for him. I wasn't asking for any information. I was just making a payment for him and Jasmine made it very hard.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have had a similar experience to all other reviews on here. I have had payments made bimonthly suddenly applied incorrectly and hurting my credit as well as being overcharged on my escrow. It is sad to see they are treating all of their customers like this. Customer service will only hang up or pass you around if you even get them on the phone. They have no desire to correct financial errors and will overcharge you and then ignore you forever. I don't know what to do at this point and it is disheartening to know Ditech own my home loan and can incorrectly damage my credit and leave me powerless to defend myself. I hope they are dealt with harshly for treating customers this way. I read up on all employee reviews and they are just as dismal. Scary to know people like this can be in business and deal with the majority of people's biggest investments, their homes. I hope they change their act or pay a heavy price for how they operate.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

In August 2017 we changed homeowner's insurance. Ultimately, we received a pro-rated refund from the paid insurance premium and because Ditech paid the new insurance premium out of escrow, I sent the $550 refund to Ditech marked ESCROW DEPOSIT. Ditech applied it to principal. That has taken months to straighten out. Then in December 2017, I was sent an escrow statement showing an escrow shortage of $154.17. I paid it using the ESCROW DEPOSIT coupon and Ditech envelope. I just found out Ditech applied it to principal AGAIN. Ditech has to be doing this to enlarge escrow accounts where they are making interest on escrow deposits. I see a class action lawsuit in Ditech's future.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Like the previous review, we have always paid our mortgage through online auto bill pay with our bank, so we've never had a late payment in 2 years. Ditech changed our escrow amount and didn't notify us, so we received a late fee of $99. We begrudgingly paid the late fee but Ditech keeps putting it into our principal so that they can continue charging us our late fee of $99 over and over again. No matter how many calls we've had with them they continue to do this which prompted us to refinance with another bank, and guess what - the late fee is still in our closing document from Ditech. I didn't choose to use Ditech (our loan was sold) and I would NEVER recommend them to anyone ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ditech Financial, LLC?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I am unfortunately stuck having Ditech as my servicing company for my home loan. If you are behind in your mortgage, they forward all your calls to one number where you are forced to leave a message. The voicemail tells you it will return your call within 24 hours, but they never do. In addition, if you are on time or ahead of your payments, the only payments they will accept online is the full amount for the current one due. So if you are a family that it is easier for you to make weekly or bi-weekly payments, Ditech will not accept this if you pay online. You can however make payments weekly or bi weekly through the mail, but they are extremely slow to post payments.

If you do send in a partial payment, Ditech will post that money in a suspense account. If they so choose, they can do whatever they want with that money, even though it's intended for your payment. Most of the people who answer the phone do not have experience servicing loans. It is not uncommon to call multiple times, get multiple people and multiple answers for the same question. I do not recommend that anyone choose to do business with Ditech. There are several other companies out there that are much better.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Wished I had read reviews before working on re-fi a home loan. Every time they asked for something, including an appraisal we complied. Then another request. Then another. At the end of the day just tired to doing several hours a day working on what they needed. Finally told them we would find another lender.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I have never missed a payment on my Mortgage. I'm enrolled in automatic payments with the reasonable expectation they are will actually pay my mortgage with the money I give them on time regularly. On various occasions I have received threatening letters accusing me of being behind on my payments. When I log on to check my balance it will say something like 10,000 dollars in unapplied funds and interest piling onto my balance.

Each time they say it will need to go to a research department and after the issue is resolved I end up with a principal balance much higher than it was before. This is either intentional or they are so clueless they don't even know what is happening. It seems I am not alone in this issue. Life is too short to be stressed out and put through this from an entity that you never even chose to manage your mortgage. Seems we all inherited them. They used to be Green Tree which people were not very satisfied with either. If I could rate them zero stars I would. They don't even deserve 1.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

We have always paid our mortgage through online auto bill pay with our bank, so we've never had a late payment in 3 years. Our escrow adjustment increased our payment by $29, and a late fee of $58 was added to the bill. I called to ask if the late charge could be removed as a first-time courtesy, and the customer service representative said that it was their policy to not ever remove late fees. I escalated the call to a supervisor who said the same thing, and I let them know that it's unfortunate that they are not empowered as supervisors to use their discretion and have the flexibility to remove a fee, based on reviewing an account's history. Our home is currently listed for sale, and we most certainly will not purchase our next home through Ditech.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Totally dissatisfied with Ditech customer service. I have had problems with my escrow account and every time I call them I get a different person with a different answer. One person tells me to do one thing and then when I do that another says I was not supposed to do that. I submitted everything in writing, in detail of the issue with my escrow account. I was told I would have an answer by December 18th on a letter dated December 6th. Now they tell me they need until January 18th. It really is a very simple problem but they just don't understand. I would NOT recommend Ditech to anyone nor would I ever use them for another mortgage.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Our mortgage company was bankrupt and overtaken by four companies, we have credit life and disability on our home, but they can't find our paperwork so they are saying they are gonna repossess our home. We paid for it for 20 years and my husband just had major back surgery. He is on social security disability. He is not recovered yet and I help him. We have 2 girls still at home and they need to find my contract so they know, If they come on my In laws private property it will be a very bad deal. If I have to I will hire a great attorney.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Ditech paid $1,288 out of our escrow account to an insurance company we have never heard of. They did not call or email to verify before they gave away our money. We have coverage of $212,000 and our mortgage balance is under $173,000. There have been no lapses or changes in companies or policies, and we have had Ditech listed on the policy as the mortgagee/lienholder since they acquired the loan. When my husband called to ask what we needed to do, they said it was up to us to get the money back even though it was Ditech's mistake. Completely unacceptable that they not only give away our money, but then won't fix the problem.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I bought my home a year ago and a separate adjoining vacant lot was included with the deal. At the closing for the original mortgage (not Ditech), they had me prepay the taxes on both parcels for 2017 so I know it was a part of the transactional record. Ditech did an Escrow analysis a few months later and refunded me a bunch of money saying my escrow estimate was overpaid. In fact, they only counted the vacant parcel in my escrow and so there wasn't enough money in escrow to cover the taxes now that they are due within the next few weeks. So now I have a humongous unanticipated property tax bill that Ditech has no responsibility for. My only options are to pay in full or let the county charge me interest on the remaining balance. Way to go Ditech!!! Incompetent idiots...

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I am going to refinance with a credit union just to move my loan servicing away from Ditech. My property taxes were lowered to $2,282 based on a homestead exemption. I called Ditech and advised them of this in October. I called again in November. They said no worries, my file is noted. Then in December I received a notice that the old property tax amount of $6,800 was actually sent to the county and I actually had to pay $1,100 to Ditech by Christmas or my payments would go up $200 per month. I immediately called (December 8) and was told that I had to speak with someone in taxes. The person in taxes said they made a note in the file that they needed to request a refund from the county and that I needed to call customer service to ask for a new escrow analysis, which should only take 2 days.

I called 4 days later and nothing had been done. I was told my payment is still $200 higher plus I still had to pay $1,100 by Christmas. Then they put me through to taxes again. The person said she made the change to the file and that I needed to call back in a week. I called back and customer service put me through to CoreLogic. CoreLogic advised there was nothing they could do and my payment would still be the same. They said I needed to speak with customer service. This is now December 20th. So I got on the phone with customer service and was told it takes 8 days for an escrow analysis and it didn't matter anyway because my January payment would still be much higher since the bill already went out.

She also advised that an escrow analysis was never requested, even though I had called and requested one multiple times. I asked if the bill could be corrected if a new escrow analysis was done by January 15th and she said no because a bill already went out. I'm sorry, aren't we in a technological age where it would take the click of a button to update the bill? I am so fed up with the lack of communication, the incompetency, and sheer irrationality that defines Ditech's employees. Worst. Company. Ever.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I'm 78 years old and never had a 30 late notice in my life until I got hooked up with Ditech. They create ways to collect late fees and no matter what the reason, their policy is to never refund a late fee regardless of the reason. They have destroyed my credit rating by changing the amount of escrow payments a few dollars without proper notification and then when you send a payment in a few dollars short they put the money in a holding account and do not apply it to your mortgage. They send out a notice that the payment was not received, but not that it was a few dollars short. I now have three thirty day late notices on my credit report for payments that were made on time but a few dollars short due to the escrow amount change. Also, if you mail a payment near the end of a grace period, it's late, it seems to take them a long time to open their mail and you get a 5% late fee.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Ditech personnel instructed me incorrectly to do not pay my monthly payment for 3 month due the hurricane Harvey (they did told me that more than 5 times), my house got flooded. They told me that they will send a letter about my payments will resume in January 1st 2018. Today 12/20/2017 I called them 1 more time because I never got the letter, and a very rude supervisor told me that they never promised that. As right now my account is past due for 3 months and is very hard for me to pay 3 months at once, I also called Ditech to ask how to make the adjustments or a payment plan and they said that I have to pay the amount in full. Try to find a way to move to another financial institution. This people will screw you up.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

My husband and I were quit claimed a property in Georgia in 2010 and we took over payments for my father after my mother died. My father signed a paper that allowed them to give my husband and I information about the property. We consistently paid on the property until August when we moved to Tennessee. We contacted Ditech and faxed them the death certificate and the quit claim deed as instructed and never heard another word as well as we never received any written or email correspondence. Finally 5 months later we have an offer on the property and they will not release the payoff, so that we can sell the home. Today I was informed that the property is in foreclosure. So they would rather take the property than to receive their money. Thieves all of them!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Ditech personnel instructed me incorrectly about when payments will be drafted from my account. My account is paid ahead one month and on November 6th, I called into Ditech to ask how to make the adjustments on my payment plan so that my December payment would not draft. I was instructed to change the next due date by YOUR REPRESENTATIVE. At no time did she inform me that I must CANCEL the auto payment plan to stop the drafts on the first. She told me the next one WOULD NOT COME OUT until January 1.

That payment WAS drawn on December 1, without my knowledge. Because of this action on YOUR EMPLOYEES' PART, my account is now overdrawn by $1000. When I called in to the customer service line on December 2 to ask for my money back, I was given the story that it wasn’t their fault. That I had to do legwork by going to my bank to obtain documentation that the draft went through and would not be returned. I did go to my bank on December 2 and obtained the exact documentation that “Leah” told me was required. I heard NOTHING back from you. I called in today and was informed you never received the fax from my bank, of which I have proof of the fax. I was told, "No you would not be paying for the overdraft fees", that it WAS MY ERROR TO NOT KNOW IT HAD TO BE CANCELLED AND NOT JUST ADJUSTED. I find this an appalling way to treat customers.

I was told TWO DIFFERENT STORIES JUST TODAY! Britney from Customer Service said that they would send the payment back on Wednesday. After our conversation, I asked to speak to a supervisor. Jessie came on the line and told me I would have to wait another 7-10 days for my money, since they didn’t get the fax that I SENT ON SATURDAY!!! I have proof of the fax and offered to send it. At that point, Jessie says “why don’t we call your bank and ask them now, so you don’t have to wait 10 more days”? WHY DIDN’T LEAH KNOW THAT LAST SATURDAY???

My checking account has continued to accumulate overdraft fees and Jessie refused to pay them. Even though 9 days passed with NO COMMUNICATION FROM DITECH. We called my bank and within 3 minutes, Chase had the info to Jessie. Now she says 24-48 hours and I will have my payment back BUT NOT THE FEES. If LEAH HAD KNOWN THIS, I WOULD NOT HAVE INCURRED ANOTHER $300 IN FEES. I will be filing a complaint with the California Department of Business Oversight against Ditech for deceptive practices of not informing their customers when making online payment plans especially senior citizens.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

They are better than mainstream banks, but not much better. 1. One year later they still never answered my application to renegotiate my mortgage after turning in papers repeatedly; 2. They do not answer emails; 3. They pretend to have a chat help program and don't really; 4. Long hold times; 5. Fewer service options now; 6. No accountability for continuity of customer service. They are nice. But: I am not impressed.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

They put too many obstacles in place to pay down your mortgage. If you pay bi-weekly on your own they do not post payment until the whole payment is in. I was just informed they will no longer be accepting bi-weekly payment, after I set up automatic withdraws that they control. I had not wanted them to have access to my account but it was the only way they would accept bi week payment and post them in a timely manner. (Not sure how true it is because I have not received anything in writing). I feel that they want the consumer to spend 30 years paying the mortgage. I have work with other mortgage companies and never had so many problems.

As this person mentioned the bi weekly payments are being cancelled at their discretion… I got my letter yesterday. Now I’m getting ready to turn them into as many agencies as I can including but limited to the VA. As I have a VA loan. This company really need to be taken down, they are the worse company I have ever dealt with. If you can avoid them do so now while you’re in a good mood. As of now there are other ways around this and not sure if it’s even legal if someone wants to chime in feel free.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017
    When your mortgage comes to an end, Ditech will not tell you that they are not auto withdrawing your last payment. This will incur a late fee. Ditech will send you a letter that month on the 15th stating that your mortgage will mature on the first day of the next month and that you need to call them to get the payoff quote.

There will be no notification on any of your past statements about your mortgage paying off date or this pending deadline that your last payment has to be made via one of three completely different inconvenient methods and within the 15 or so days you have left until the end of the month.

Also they will report this to the credit bureaus as a late payment. Customer service completely plays dumb to this issue, though I did get my representative to admit that there are complaints. To add insult to the whole customer service experience, their end of call survey asks one question: "Would personally hire the customer service representative you just talked with? Press 1 for yes or 2 for no." I said yes because they were at least honest about complaints, but we would have a serious talk about integrity and customer treatment.

So to close, I'm paying $33 for the late fee, $32 for a release fee, and $35 to wire of funds from my bank to Bank of America. The experience has me totally distrusting of mortgage companies. Do they not realize that this experience happens, for most people, not more than even once in their lifetime? To end on this note is not good. Hopefully others will benefit from this review of Ditech Financial LLC mortgage closeout policies and save at least $65 and not have their credit damaged.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Worst customer care imaginable. Told me to go to the website to complete autopay. Did that, but they had wrong address. Next payment is late, because I was relying on autopay. Get a phone call, and am told can't waive late fees, despite wrong address and the fact that I attempted to complete autopay application. Was a customer, always paid on time for almost 10 years, yet one hiccup, and they try to get as much from you as possible.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Ditech's loan servicing department is by far the worst I have ever seen. I have worked with many over the years on the many loans I've had on multiple properties. I was so happy to finally pay off my loan when I recently sold a property and no longer have to work with them anymore, but to my surprise, they found ways to be just as bad after my loan was completely paid off as well. Despite having my full address, which had not changed and at which they had sent me mail at countless times before, they managed to mail the check with my funds that were remaining in the escrow account at the time the loan was paid off to the wrong address... and this is where a never-ending loop of waiting and incompetence began again.

When you call, they will never let you talk to anyone who can actually help you. This is a very simple mistake to correct, they sent the check the wrong address, simply place a stop on the original check and issue a new one. But for Ditech, it is seemly impossible. They put the request through a never ended loop of waiting, "processing time", and delays that have left me still without my funds. The customer service rep that answers the phone won't let you speak with the escrow department, instead they place a "request" for you, processing time of a request is 7-10 business days. They won't even look at your request for basically 2 weeks? I requested a manager who I hoped could request a rush on this to expedite processing and fix their error, "all managers are unavailable, I can have one call you in 3 business days". So we wait the 3 days and more and more, and a call never comes.

They refuse to call you back to update you on the status of your request because customer service is not allowed to make outbound calls. You must call back on your own and speak to a different person every time, each equally as clueless as the last about when your request will be reviewed or the status. As is sits, I still don't have the money they owe me, my request has still not been processed and I am left to wait with no updates and no one over there who has any clue what they are doing. I am convinced at this point there actually are no managers or supervisor structure of any kind within the company as I've never been allowed to speak to one. If you are considering a loan with Ditech, run the other direction as fast as you can. If you do a loan and they transfer your loan to Ditech for servicing, I'm sorry, just know I feel your pain.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have bank statements to show every transaction, I have online billing, I have text stating they received payments then I get a letter that I am behind in my payments and I need to move out or sell my home if I cannot afford to live in it. I have proof I have never missed a payment and they cashed every one.They stated they reversed my payment which they did not, without reason why that was posted it. They repeatedly state they are looking into the matter and continue to take out the payment and thank me for the payment and then send me a another letter.

Now they state I owe 2,100.77. I receive a text 11/14/17 stating they resolved the issue. I called to make sure and they did not. Tired of trying to get this straighten out. They can't even tell me why they think I owe the money. They receive the first payment April the 29th 2016 on the 29th and my last payment to them was on the 1 of Nov. Before that I had City Bank and wished I still had them.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

They put too many obstacles in place to pay down your mortgage. If you pay bi-weekly on your own they do not post payment until the whole payment is in. I was just informed they will no longer be accepting bi-weekly payment, after I set up automatic withdraws that they control. I had not wanted them to have access to my account but it was the only way they would accept biweek payment and post them in a timely manner. (Not sure how true it is because I have not received anything in writing). I feel that they want the consumer to spend 30 years paying the mortgage. I have work with other mortgage companies and never had so many problems.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

This is the second modification for my home I have had a nightmare with this company. My payments are thru my bank and Ditech has been receiving them before the 15th of every month. I called not once but 4 times and left messages that I still did not receive the modification contract. Last time they canceled my modification saying that they sent it and it did not go back so they assume I just didn't bother. What nerve. I have given permission to leave a contact on my phone I work day and night to support this house even in a not to healthy condition.

It is my life. These people do not bother to call or leave a message. I received one from Erica a month ago and called her back explaining I cannot use my phone at work but will call back. The recordings I get are from Texas, California, all over never one place. I finally wrote to them voicing my concern and not heard yet. Meanwhile they just keep sending bad reports on my credit saying I am behind. When I'm not. I pay the modification amount and I am now going to send a registered letter and try to find a lawyer that may be able to help me. Any help is appreciated.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Made a payment through my Bank of America Bill Pay and scheduled it within the required time frame. Have been making payments like this the whole time and they always post during the time frame which BofA states it will post or within one day of it. For some reason they did not post the payment one month until 5 day later than was stated on the BofA site. Called them and customer service was horrible. Claimed for sure that they didn't receive the payment until it was 5 days late and that there was no way this was a mistake on their part because they always process the payments right away. Blamed the postal service instead (when this is an online payment through BofA Bill Pay) but claimed that I still had to pay the late fee.

I offered to send to them what was showing on my bank portal and they said it didn't matter because the payment was late. The whole time being rude and sure there was no way this could have been a mistake on their part. Don't know where they are taught customer service but it is no way to treat a customer in my opinion. The rep would not transfer me to a supervisor claiming that none was available and she would not give me her full name. I never chose this company as they bought out my loan but if you have options stay away. I would never chose to do business with them. Thanks for nothing Jessica (Employee ID **) who apparently has no supervisor so I am just supposed to trust that she noted the issue and passed it on.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I've been corresponding with Ditech for a month trying to get an insurance claim resolved. When I call I'm told everything looks correct that I've mailed in. This last phone call involved a woman named Desiree in insurance claims dept. She was extremely disrespectful. Treated me as if I had, had the intellect to do as I was told there wouldn't have been a problem. This is the second time this type of repairs have been filed with my insurance company due to the poor quality of how the home was made. I've heard this from other homeowners of this mobile home. I've always paid on time, never missed a payment, but obviously this doesn't matter. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I, like many homeowners in Texas, have had catastrophe losses, through no fault of our own. My insurance company, State Farm, has been prompt, equitable and great. Ditech's claims division has been an utter nightmare. They have had $26,000+ of MY INSURANCE Claims money since September and have REQUIRED certain documents before they will release ANY funds. I have submitted these documents 3 times now. Still NO FUNDS RELEASED. I am no dummy. Was a property adjuster for 30 years so I know what I am doing and what the law is. Ditech is in breach of contract, unfair dealings with their customers under FTC Fair Practices Act, bullying their customers and other acts I won't go into any further.

If there is an attorney out there that wants to help some folks, please consider taking these cases and having this certified as a class action suit. People like Ditech need to be exposed. Taking advantage of people when they need help the most. Despicable behavior. There are THOUSANDS of complaints here, so it's not just me. Signed - Sad & Pissed in Texas! PS: As far as documentation - I was an adjuster for 30 years. I document everything! Have pictures, letters to and from Ditech, phone calls, all the documents sent via Next Day Air, etc. names of parties talked to, etc.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I just got off the phone with Ditech Customer Service. All I was trying to do is get a late charge reversed on my account. Well, I forgot what I was calling about by the time I reached a representative. The automated system asks for your last 4 to verify your account. Done! Then you get transferred to someone that does not know your name, and asks for all the same info all over again. By this time, you are either wore out or pissed off. Anyway, I was told that Ditech does not issue reversals on late fees (even after all those years of not being late). So, I swallowed that terrible policy. But, I just cannot swallow the impersonal service and computer systems they have set up. I get security, but at this point I would rather someone hack my account. I spoke to 3 reps, and each one talked over me very rude like. Get out of that Ditech loan ASAP!

Ditech Financial Company Information

Ditech Financial, LLC
    800-643-0202
    www.ditech.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use