Ditech Financial
1.13/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Ditech Financial

We are in the business of helping Americans realize the dream of home ownership. The irony is that while buying a home can be a joyful and uplifting experience, getting a mortgage can be anything but. We aim to change that.

Our purpose: securing the American Dream

Our approach: helpful, responsive, efficient and fair

Our values: honesty, responsibility, transparency and creativity

Our promise: to put your needs first!

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

3130 Ditech Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Sept., 2018 I called to make the payment on the 1st. They took the payment out twice! I discover this in a bank overdraft. (Another lie). Ditech said my husband set up auto-withdrawal as well. That was a lie to cover they had withdrawn both payments within 1 min per the bank. They said Supervisors do not take calls, but I could have my bank take a payment back if I didn't want to wait 15 business days. So I did. Then Ditech refunded me in about a week and called to say my Sept payment was late, charged me a late fee. I already had an overdraft fee thanks to them. So I tried to pay again via phone, but they said I'd written bad checks, so can't take a debit payment! With help from my bank, I got it paid.

Oct payment paid ok. Nov payment, again, they said their system refused the info because I had written bad checks (only due to Sept ordeal) so refused that payment. Gave me a sure-fire address to mail my check to, which I did. In the meantime, I get a call from Corp. asking me what's going on, as they see all the phone calls made! Sounded like this would all be fixed. Wrong! Corp tells me it never arrived in Nov. So now I have to go to bank for them to write a letter my account is in good standing, and I pay to stop payment on my lost check., (which they did not refund as they promised) and I must call 2 days before end of Nov to make Nov payment, and yes, a late fee I was promised they would not charge.

Then, the 1st day of Dec., I call to make my Dec payment. In Dec., I get a letter that I wrote them a bad check (oops, they DID get it) and now I have a fee for that, plus a late fee! For what? I'm all current! This company puts the D in DYSFUNCTIONAL. In process of filing a complaint to the Walter Company which owns them. Imagine they are D as well, and Attorney General's Office for all the money they owe. Then Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I suggest you do the same about this Company.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

We were affected by Florence as well. Still no money for repairs. Looking for anyone else in same situation and has anyone talked to a attorney to get a class action lawsuit against them. I've spent my own money to get a new roof on. They won't even reimburse me for that. I live in eastern North Carolina.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My loan originated from Green Tree Servicing which I was paying monthly $86 for almost 10 years and my principal never went down. Now that Ditech assumes the loan my payment went over $50 dollars and continues to go up monthly and they tell me I have a simple interest loan with variable interest. Now I have been with them three years my principal still continues to remain the same. I have asked for my original documents in 4 occasions and still this date they haven’t provided them to me. I have had several loans in my life but nothing like this. I am going to take legal action as I believe in getting scammed. There is no way on this earth I can be paying in a loan for 13 years to have the principal go down less the $3000.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My husband and I paid off our home over 6 months ago and after countless calls, have still been unable to get a release of lien!!! If you are looking to finance a new home with these incompetent people, think twice!!! I have asked everyone I speak with at the customer service number, "If you had paid your home off and could not get a release of lien, would you be upset and/or concerned?" This company needs to be investigated ASAP, something is NOT right over there.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Their customer service people need to get their act together. I called one day about sending over documentation and was told that it had to be faxed. I called three days later to confirm it was received. I was told it was not and that I could email it instead. Time and money wasted on going to FedEx to fax it. I also asked one rep. about credit report information and how it would impact my credit report if there was a late payment. She informed me that all I had to do was write a letter to them stating my situation to avoid any dings on the credit report. I called a few days later and asked someone the same question and she said that information was wrong. I could go on about their incompetence on other occasions but it that would just infuriate me more. Get it together, Ditech!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ditech Financial, LLC?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We have a mortgage with Ditech which started out as Green Tree. Our interest rate is 8 3/4 percent. I have tried for over 4 years to get the interest rate lowered. Ditech said I could apply for a loan modification. I did. They kept changing requests for more information after I had already sent them what they asked for. Eventually after almost 5 months they denied the modification. The denial came immediately, like the day after I sent their request for further documents. It was dated before I had sent the final documents. They didn't take anything I wrote about the "hardship" letter into consideration.

Because of their assurance that the mortgage would be modified I missed a payment or two over the five months. I'm still behind. They are always changing my person to contact and everything starts all over again. I had written a formal complaint to the State of New York but never heard anything about it. I'm glad to see that something is being done about these practices. How can I get information on what to do about filing a claim? Or do the courts have the names of the people who are involved? I was told that Green Tree and Ditech are one and the same. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Worst mortgage servicing company ever. If you have the option do not choose them. I had no choice because my servicing was assigned over to them. We own four other houses with all with different mortgages companies. This is by far the worst I’ve had to deal with. It has taken almost a year just to try and get an appraisal scheduled to drop the mortgage insurance. They are dragging their feet just so they can extend the amount of money they make each month.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been paying on my mortgage for 19 years. Ditech is applying all of my payment to interest. They take the extra money I send for the principal and put it toward the interest. They are so dishonest. I would not want anyone else to be treated like this.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I live in Kentucky and received wind damage to my roof. The insurance adjuster came and did his inspection and a few days later I received a check made out to me and Ditech, I called Ditech and they told me to send the endorse check and send it to them. With the insurance report and contractor estimate, which I did. That was back in early November. Still received nothing. Whenever I called them all I get is it will be 10 to 14 days. So I called my insurance company and they said Ditech had already cashed the check. I think that they are drawing interest off our money and that is why they hold it so long. So my roof is leaking destroying my house and the insurance company informed me that any future damage done will be my problem even though I'm waiting for Ditech so I can repair my roof. I said, "No one told me that," and he said he was sorry for that.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

3 months and still don't have my insurance money. I'm looking for anyone else, in NC, who still hasn't received their insurance money. Please email me at ** if you're willing to have your name and phone number added to a list to be presented to attorneys in NC. They have no legal right to keep our insurance money from us.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Site has took over servicing of my mortgage effective October 1. As I didn’t receive notification and I pay everything early I had already made November’s payment. December’s statement was received by us on November 25 with a due date of 12/1. Kind of hard to make a timely payment when the statement is so delayed. Then over the weekend I receive a notice that my homeowner's insurance has lapsed due to nonpayment. I have had no insurance on my home since November 25 and had no idea until I received notice of the lapse. It was due November 25. On NOVEMBER 30 they reach out to my insurance company. Ditech claims payment was made DECEMBER 1. NEARLY ONE WEEK AFTER CANCELLATION.

As I had no insurance I had no options but to make payment directly to the insurance company. It’s rather obvious to me that Ditech doesn’t care about their customers or the properties they have mortgages on. Nobody should have their insurance canceled during hurricane season because of their lender's failure to make payment. It doesn’t matter if a storm was threatening or the area is calm. You don’t allow coverage on your customer’s homes to lapse when you are escrowing the insurance. UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I had damage from hurricane Florence, the insurance company sent me the check promptly but it also had Ditechs name on it. I called them and was told do not endorse it. Send it in and they would endorse it and send it back within 10 to 14 business days. I did exactly as told. About 3 weeks later I got check back along with a letter saying I needed to endorse it and send it back to them so I did exactly as they asked and sent it back. It is now the 2nd of December and still no money to repair our home.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Like my fellow NC neighbors I too suffered hurricane damage from Florence and Ditech told me I didn’t endorse the check so they sent it back to me and I overnighted it again (twice) because I’m wanting to get my house fixed and I too was told 10-14 business days. This has caused so much headache with me and my contractor working on my house because he can’t pay his workers because Ditech has yet to send me the check back!!! I just want my house fixed. I don’t know why they act like it’s their money and don’t want to send my money!!! This company is messing with people’s lives out here!!! Don’t do business with them. I’m currently seeking legal action!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

You have all the pertinent info on file. I got no help from you or anyone. For 2 months, Ditech jerked us around. Price went from $24000 to $35000 two days before closing. Pull up Ditech reviews. You will see the problem. This company should have been closed down years ago. Anyone in management is a liar, mean-spirited and ruthless.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

After several bank consolidations my mortgage was sold to Green Tree. After Green Tree was fined $67 million for unfair and deceptive practices, its assets were assumed by the parent company, Ditech. Since I had an excellent credit history, I was not concerned that the Green Tree graduates at Ditech would impact my mortgage. Instead, they established an unauthorized "escrow account" without notice and applied my payments to "unapplied funds", attached late fees and increased the monthly payments to fund this fraudulent escrow account. I have and will continue to pay the original amount and have filed complaints with the Attorney General, The State Banking Department and the Federal Consumer Protection Bureau. We now have pending litigation to seek corrective action and punitive damages.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I normally don’t write reviews, but this time I am going to. Ditech is the worst company I have ever dealt with. They took over my mortgage last month and they screwed everything up. They didn’t pay my taxes. They didn’t pay my mortgage. In one month I’ve experienced so much headache that I’m ready to sell my house. They have the worst customer service. They don’t give a ** about their customers and they can care less. I can not wait for my mortgage to be transferred to another bank. If you are looking to get a mortgage, save your self a headache and go somewhere else. Even if it means pay a little more.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I received damages from Hurricane Florence and my insurance company sent adjuster and they did their review and sent me check within 10 days. This was in September. I called Ditech 3 times because check had both our names on it, representative told me to send check to them with 15.00 money order and prepaid envelope and they would endorse check and send it back to me. They sent the check back to me saying I must sign it and send it back to them, I did that and it has been 2 wéeks and they still have not sent me the money to make the repairs to my home. The representative said calls are recorded and you can do survey but that's not true because I want to leave my experience because they will not return your calls. This is ridiculous. You never get the same answer from the representatives. We have survived the storm only to be put through undue stress to get our home life back to normal.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Ditech is a company that DO Not care about their customers. I am a customer like many others that has suffered a devastating home disaster in Sept from hurricane Florence!! My insurance did their part and paid the claim for damages to my home in October. I have sent everything the representatives have asked, but they still won't release any funds so I can fix my house! Every time I speak to someone I get a different excuse about the insurance money. I am so exhausted trying to get my money from Ditech!!! I am to the point that the only thing I can do now is seek legal advice, so I can get my insurance money to repair my house!!! If anyone have any information on how to get justice on this matter, please post a comment!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I was surprised how helpful Ditech was after reading these horrible reviews. My loan was sold to Ditech and there was confusion. They cashed my check but did not apply it to loan, I guess my old mortgage sent them old letter from June saying my escrow was short. So Ditech thought my loan needed to go up $38. I paid my loan amount which was short. I had paid the lump sum to keep mortgage same. So for now I will pay the extra $38 till it is cleared up. Rita spent like 20 minutes clearing this up for me, looking up the check, where it went, why not applied, she took my shortage of $38 to clear it up within 24-24 hours. I was very relieved since I have perfect credit and do not want to ruin it. She also e-mailed me everything we talked about.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Ditech is the rudest company I ever dealt with. The record keeping is so unorganized. Please run fast from this if you can. Trouble live here. Always threaten to take your home. If you are a penny short they hold your money in a suspense account until a letter comes to say your payment in a Suspense account. Now you late and accrued late fees. Horrible. Run from this company if you can.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I closed on my home in Sept 2015 and shortly after Ditech purchased my mortgage. I have paid in excess of the amount due, every month since closing. At the beginning of October 2018, I got a suspicious letter saying I am missing insurance documents, however they did not request the information to go to Ditech, but another company (worth noting my insurance has been active with no gaps since the closing - i.e. nothing had changed in 3 years). I immediately reached out Ditech to determine what, if anything I needed to do, and ensure the letter wasn't fraudulent. Without contacting me, or helping me in any way whatsoever, Ditech added a remark to my account that I was disputing the account, which lowered my credit score in the process. I reach out to Ditech to speak with a representative, who said that my account is in perfect standing and nothing needs to be done. About a month later, I get a threatening letter from a collections agency.

Ditech has abysmal customer service, and makes it frustratingly hard to simply pay your mortgage on time, in excess of the amount due. As a company, they seem unable to perform the most basic functions related to account management, or even communication; I have never dealt with a company more inept. I very much look forward to the day I never have to deal with Ditech. If you are searching for a mortgage, do yourself a massive favor and stay away from Ditech.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

In May, my mother passed away leaving behind a mobile home that was financed through Ditech. The land that the home sits on belongs to me and not tied into the mobile home mortgage. Since I do not want the mobile home, a voluntary surrender was sent to Ditech in August and they were supposed to remove the mobile home from my land. It is now the middle of November and the mobile home has not been moved. When I call, they refuse to talk to me because I was not the purchaser. They have been given the death certificate, they have the voluntary surrender. There is no reason I should still be dealing with this. I am supposed to be building a home on the land but cannot proceed because there is a mobile home that does not belong to me, on MY property. I guess my next step is to get my attorney's assistance. I really was hoping to get this done in a civil manner but they have left me no choice.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Original loan was with Suntrust, who sold it to a bunch of shysters; Greentree. I'm not sure why. I was a fairly good risk. I later learned that they finance a lot of mobile homes, but mine is not. Shortly after the transfer, I began receiving late notices about two weeks before my payment was ever due and at least two harassing phone calls every day. I had NEVER paid late. Roughly two years after they had been servicing my mortgage, I phoned to speak with a representative to determine why I was receiving late notices (with two months payment due for $3200) although they had never been reported to the credit agencies. The rep had no excuse, but told me that I needed to pay it or they would take my home.

I laughed, suggested that she learn her job. Then she told me that she was going to begin foreclosure proceedings. I said, "Sure... go ahead. Shoot your best shot." Then she cursed me out and hung up. I complained to the state's attorney general, loud and often (I'm in Atlanta, GA), and after a short period of time (fortunately I had the rep's name at Greentree), I phoned back and politely asked to speak with her. When she answered, I recanted the story, recalling her behavior and reminding her that she "had started foreclosure proceedings" on my home. HA... pissed her off. Then I told her that her company was going under soon and she would probably want to look for other employment. I also added that they wouldn't be receiving any payment from me until the very last minute on the 15th of each month (which I have religiously followed since then) and told her that there was nothing she could do about it. She hung up.

About 6 months later, they were absorbed by DiTech (a sister company). Since then, they've actually been nothing but nice. I've read all the other reviews (mostly negative), but my experience has been positive. Even though DiTech took over my loan servicing for the last two years, I continued to pay on the 15th each month, NEVER the first. I suppose my account was "flagged," because I have yet to receive a phone call or a late notice from anyone.

Now, I've got one payment left and I'm done. I just wanted to tell everyone to keep your head high, beat them at their own game. Do your best to keep your payments up to date and most of all, remember, they can't do a single thing if you pay on the very last day. They can't even report it to the credit reporting agencies. Best to you.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have been waiting for Ditech to turn-around a $23K check from my insurance company that is needed to pay my contractor for fixing my house after a broken pipe caused mold damage. For 2 weeks, they said "you HAVE to wait 7-10 days for processing." Processing what? They have my contractor's information and they've had the check for 3 weeks, making interest on the money. Today, they tell me "we are behind and really busy, so it will be 14 days, and with Thanksgiving... Blah, blah, blah." I'm going to have to spend another $2500 for an apartment b/c they won't give me the money that belongs to me. I have more invested in my house than they do. Their customer service team is horrible. I can't wait to re-finance and get away from them!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I called in October to get a payoff for my mortgage because I had a very small amount of money left to pay on principal. I was given a payoff amount through Nov. 10th. I requested that they send wiring instructions because that is the way she recommended I pay it off. On the 8th of Nov. I still had not received them and I called the company and was told I would receive them "shortly". I waited at the bank for a couple hours waiting for the instructions. I finally called them again and was told that ALL THE INFORMATION I WAS GIVEN IS WRONG!!! No apologies. Just that I can't pay the loan off now because it "matured" on Nov. 1. They clearly have no idea what they are doing, OR this is a corporate scam to collect more interest from me. Rest assured I will be contacting my state Attorney General for resolution.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

My home recently sustained substantial damage from Hurricane Florence. I have a Fabulous insurance company that came out and allotted all the funds needed to repair my home. My checks were mailed to Ditech to be endorsed. This also included a check for personal property, my fence, pool and shed. My funds have been deposited into Ditech's accounts and are sitting there collecting interest, while my home remains destroyed! I've called Numerous times, sent all information they required and I keep getting the runaround and the usual response that they'll need another 10-14 days to process my funds again. I've come to the conclusion that this is their SCAM! They deposit insurance claim checks and draw interest as long as they can. My Check for 35,398.37 has already made them 780 dollars, multiply that by another 600 and they've made themselves 486,000!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Ditech is trying to take my home. Even after I filed a loss of mitigation due to unforeseen circumstances, I was late on my mortgage. Ditech has done nothing to try to assist, but instead they've recommended that I consider a short sale or a foreclosure. This company is horrible! They don't care about you or your family and surely don't care if you are left homeless. If your loan is transferred to Ditech, do not accept.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Ditech says there is an escrow shortage, my payment goes up $389.68. I call to try to get an understanding and to try and cancel my escrow account, they tell me that I must send a letter with my signature requesting cancellation. I received a letter dated October 23, 2018 denying my formal request stating that they were in receipt of my letter and were denying my request.

The odd thing about this denial is that my letter did not get mailed until November 3rd. My escrow account at present has $ 2,000.00 in it, my future insurance payments (projected) are way out of line (double what has been the norm- who makes these projections? I wonder). Now I am supposed to overpay Ditech while they use my escrow account as another source of income. My escrow account payment has doubled and it appears the only way I can get out of this is to sell the bldg. or refinance. By the reviews this type of thing happens too often for it to be anything other than the culture at Ditech.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Escrow shortage - Our home loan was sold to Ditech. Right from the start there were problems. They insisted that when they bought the loan they owed us money back. We told them, "No. We have Insurance and taxes included in our loan." They said, "Yes. We accounted for that." Then months later they said, "Oh we were wrong. You owe us now." So they made an agreement to change our payment for 4 years to a higher amount to make up the difference. Then a few months later one hand doesn’t know what the other hand is doing and they start saying we owe even more money. We have been dealing with this for a year now. They now say for the next 3 months they are raising our payment by about 200.00 dollars and in January it will go down to another amount. We already paying 200.00 over the original loan now another 200.00 over that a total of a 400.00 increase. This is a VA loan. WE NEED HELP!!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I had a fire at my home. The insurance writes the payments to me and the mortgage company. Ditech had the check and all required documentation about 30 days ago including w-9s and lien releases from the contractors. Have spoken to their customer service and claims department over 25 times only to get the runaround every time. Constant promises of check being in the mail and still not one dime from the funds. They made me pay them for the overnight fees 2 weeks ago. I am being forced to take legal action against them in order to receive the monies that belong to the people who completed the work.

I originally had my mortgage with Country Wide and it has been sold off to Ditech without my permission or any documentation of policies. After requesting a copy of their policy it turns out that they are not even following their own policy in releasing funds immediately. Now they are telling me that an inspector has to come which was scheduled for Nov 7. Apparently, they want the job done before they release my monies. They say 7-10 days after the inspection.

How are you supposed to get the property fixed with not one penny of the money to do the job? This has gone on for months now. I have had to use personal monies to get to this point but cannot make the final payments to these people knocking on my door daily threatening to put liens on my house due to nonpayment. Every person I have spoken to has given me a different story even if I spoke to different people on the same day. This company is a scam. At this point, it appears that they are making money off of my money all of this time, while I am here panicking with no money and upset contractors. BE AWARE!

Ditech Financial Company Information