Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.20/5

32 Direct Student Loans Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 15, 2019

Received a message asking to contact Linda ** regarding "Federal student Loan Repayment options due to recent changes". She included a reference number to make it sound legitimate. (Since I currently have a loan placed, I called.) When I called and asked what company they were, they stated "Direct Student Loans". He continued to rudely ask if I had any student loans, when I answered my daughter does, they HUNG UP on me. Obviously a SCAM company, since they did not want to talk to a parent.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I contacted Direct Student Loans because I had a recent wage garnishment and federal tax refund taken. I spoke to Andrew ** who told me he could get my garnishments stopped within 60 days and then he would try to get my refund back. He told me he was cutting me a deal and was charging me three payments of $75. I became suspicious when another loan consolidation company told me they are a scam. They are not accredited by the BBB. I asked Andrew why they aren’t and he told me, “I don’t want to waste $100/month to pay the BBB to give me a good review." He became very defensive and rude when I told him I wanted a refund and I was not interested in the program.

He then told me he never said he would get my refund back, which he did. His exact words were, "Let’s get the garnishments stopped first then we will work on getting your refund back." When I told him I did not feel comfortable giving him all my personal information such as my kids' ss numbers, my tax information, etc he said, “How about I just do this for you for free. You can pay me after." No company is going to work for free and the fact that he mentioned that when I spoke of not giving ss numbers raised a huge red flag for me. I cancelled and I’m awaiting my refund. This is not a reputable company. Beware!!!

Get expert buying tips about Student Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I went to a tech school in 06. It was a 4 month course, unless you wanted more certificates. I started Jan 2, 2016-April 28, 2016. I graduated. My father co-signed for me. I went to school and... I started getting phone calls about a year after I graduated about a loan I hadn't paid on, I thought it was a scam so I just hung up on them. I had Sallie Mae and it is current. I finally quit hanging up on them and talked to them. WHAT LOAN?!? They told me the loan I signed 5/01/2016. HUH?!? I wasn't even there. I was literally working offshore and there were no faxes or internet without paying $20 a minute on a sat phone.

Today is 5/19/2018 and they have taken my tax money since 07 and FINALLY after 6 yrs and I am not exaggerating... I finally got a copy of the supposed contact that I signed. It is my signature, but the date was changed. You can plainly see this is a forged document. I called them, they can absolutely see the change in the date. They confirm it was a forged document, but now I have get my graduation date and paper to send to them to show that I was no longer in the country (international waters) that I was unable to sign this. WTH!!! They agreed it was forged, but I have friggin keep doing this **. I better get all my money back that was stolen from me.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

These people are only polite and helpful on your first call. Once they get you in their system they are absolutely awful! If you need to reschedule your payments they treat you very poorly. A manager called me when I switched to a different collection agency and I explained that Adam was very, very rude to me when I would call. He became very rude and said that it was my fault that he was so rude. I told him that I wanted my payment information removed from their records and he hung up on me and wouldn't speak with me again after that.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

With a note from my doctor which stated my numerous disabilities and my inability to work any longer I was granted a discharge by Direct Loans. Later they had switched from Direct Loans to Sallie Mae, then I received almost daily aggressive collection calls. It didn't matter that I was now receiving the bare minimum of money from Social Security ($745.00 per month). The calls continued and continued, regardless of the load abuse that I gave to these **. Now, as I am trying to get approved for a apartment, these loans are still on my credit report, to think that because of all this I may become homeless. Makes me VERY angry. I could not survive living on the street nor in a homeless shelter. Luckily I saved this discharge letter and will use it so that I may be accepted for my new apartment.

To think that student loans cannot be discharged by a bankruptcy or other means proves what a pathetic country we live in. And furthermore, the college education I received was ridiculous with either lies or lies of exclusion... My advice would be get into a nursing school or related medical fields where there is a tremendous need for such workers, or any other trade where there are opportunities for a well-paid career. There are few if any opportunities for college graduates now. Look into European colleges which teach their courses in English and are rated as being excellent schools, plus being able to learn other languages and see the wondrous sights of Europe...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Student Loans?

Original review: July 27, 2016

I was told that my payments would be reduced to only $20 per month and then after three years my loan would be forgiven. After paying the $500 fee that they duped me out of, I got a call indicating that I would have to pay $100 per month. However, I received a $300 bill! I never received any confirmation in the mail and now, every time I call to speak to someone, no matter what time I call, I can never get through! I leave messages and no one ever returns my calls!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2013

I called Direct Student Loans and they said that they could help me with my student loans. It was going to cost me $800. Well, I checked into a different way that was going to be free and decided to go that way. When I called to cancel, the rep that I was dealing with was very mean which in turn made me mean. They sent me over 14 emails within a two-day period saying that the paperwork had been created for my account, and they have tried to contact me as well by phone which I do not answer. They do not listen to you and they will overcharge and when you cancel, they get mad because they don't get the sale...

Original review: July 22, 2013

I received a call from Direct Loans stating that a payment of $1500 monthly will begin July 2013. I immediately filled out an IBR application and mailed it to the address on the application. I waited a week and asked if they received my application and processed it yet. Well, they said they never received the application and they have no control over the mail. To my dismay, I requested them to mail me another application. To make a long story short, I faxed my application to 1-800-848-0984 and they have not confirmed receipt of my application. So, they transferred all my account information to Sallie Mae who told me they should have transferred my IBR application information as well but there is no record of this information.

The representative was very very helpful and explained to me that many other students are complaining about Direct Loans and their IBR application. Additionally, the Sallie Mae representative promises that once I mail a Lower-Monthly Income payment application it will be processed immediately upon receipt and notification will be sent via personal email. Shame on Direct Loans for not doing their jobs correctly and professionally.

Original review: June 5, 2013

I called in 2011; I believe it was to put my student loan in deferment (I had already paid it out of collections once due to this same crap). I spoke with a girl named Brittney. She asked me all kinds of information about my expenses, my income, etc. She then told me that I am qualified to have my student loan put into deferment. I thanked her and she told me no problem, that she would take care of it.

Next thing I know, I went to apply with a school to start online classes at the beginning of April to better my life and to better help provide for my son, as I am a single mom, and I am told that I have a student loan that is in default and that I needed to contact the company my loan has been sent to. I contacted them, only to be told that my student loan has been sitting in collections for some time and that I am now going to have to make consecutive payments for six months to "prove" that I am reliable and that I deserve to have my loan taken out of collections since I wasn't "responsible" enough to pay on them or put them in deferment in the first place. So thanks to Direct Loans, I am now having to make payments and can't go back to school for at least another six months due to their negligence!!

Original review: March 29, 2013

I spoke with a Zi and then her supervisor, Ronda. Both had big time attitude problems. I was just calling to find out info and the first chick said my name and SS# were not coming up and she was all adamant about it. Then when I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was put on hold and all of a sudden the chick came back and told me that by some miracle, my info had just popped up. By this time, I was annoyed and asked to speak with a supervisor. Boy, was I shocked at what Direct Loan calls a supervisor. She was all persnickety as if I were disturbing her. Look, children, you chose to work at DL so either find another job that doesn't deal with people (like dog-walking although I'm sure both would get attacked with such nasty and ghetto attitudes) or take some acting lessons! I had to make a few phone calls, but I got my complaint in and that's all that matters!

Direct Student Loans Company Information