1.14/5
Based on 28 reviews that contain star ratings

Auto Warranty Expired?

Federal Credit Union

35 Coastal Credit Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 7, 2006

We opened an account with this company on a loan for a car, a 1998 Dodge. Not only did we find out that the company did not apply the $2,000.00 we gave as a deposit and deduct it from the total due, but actually is charging us interest on it along with the loan. In the 1 1/2 years we have had the car, it has had to have a rear end installed, as well as a motor, which blew on us and stranded us in Kentucky for 3 weeks, 14 hours after the rear was repaired. And, now the transmission is out. This company also has accepted consistently late payments from us. We contacted them May 4th, 2006 by phone and talked to Brian's manager, and explained to him that we were having trouble with the phone, and we would be in that Monday to discuss the account. He agreed, saying that perhaps we can negotiate something.

At 7 a.m., Saturday morning, a collection agency called USA Meridian International Corp. (ph. 330-538-8885) sneaked onto our property and in our yard, after being warned not to come on our property and asked not to take the car, and stole the vehicle. Ohio law constitutes this as breach of peace. Not only that, but his continuous acceptance of late payments & his arrangement to discuss our account the Friday morning before neutralized the former contract according to Ohio law, as well as his acceptance of a partial payment negotiated by him because of the transmission problem. When we contacted the creditor, he denied knowledge or involvement in this collection action.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2004

I am in the United States Navy and was deployed to the Gulf last year in Jan. While I was gone, I had two problems occur, one was a furniture store placed a stop on my checking acct and tried to hold all my pay until it reached a certain amount and then take that amount. I told the store (USA Discounters in Virginia) that my rent money was in there and that was leaving my wife who was 5 months pregnant without the money to pay the rent. I asked just for the rent money (I was way out near Iraq and couldn't do much else). The company told me no and that was something I would have to deal with. So they kept the lock on my acct.

I had to try to get a loan from somewhere to pay for the rent and keep food in the house for my wife and child. Finally, a month or so later, someone at my ship made a deal with them and they settled for less and took their money out of the acct and unlocked it. On this issue, my only problem was that they was bullying me around when I was in the water near Iraq, left my wife and kids with nothing and didn't even care. It took me to the following year to pay off the loan I had to get for food for my wife and kids.

And my second issue was with a finance company called Coastal Credit also in Norfolk/ Virginia Beach, Virginia. They took me to court while I was gone and placed a garnishment against me which is still going on till this day. I am wondering. Is there anything I could do about this? I tried and tried to make arrangements with these people while I was gone but I guess they figured since I was not there, it was their chance to get me. I am not forgetting my part in the whole mess (paying bills on time) but when you are gone and out there so far away from home and in a war at that, we, as servicemen and women, need to think about getting the job done and getting back safely, not spending hundreds of dollars on phone cards trying to get money to your wife and kids because others saw a chance to pounce. If you have any suggestions, please, please give them. Any help is good help. Thanks.

Original review: April 19, 2002

In March of 2001, I wanted some information on my son's account at the above referenced bank. At that time I was told that the account had been closed, I had no knowledge of this at all. Since that date, I have called several times and written two (2) letters to them, one through the U.S. Mail, and one hand delivered and signed for, still I have had no response from the bank, and still no idea where my son's monies are, they told the the account was closed in 1997, I never closed the account.

I am the guardian of the account and my son has no access to the account. They said it was closed because there hadn't been any activity on the account, but it is a savings account for my minor son. Please advise me on what I can do. Thank you in advance for you help. Consequence: Well my son has no monies that he can account for, and he is getting older and would like to use if for a car.

Original review: March 29, 2002

This happened in '98. I have an ex-husband and this has to do with him. He was in the Navy and you know how easy it is to get a car. I mean anyone would sell to him knowing he is in the navy no matter what. Well, we got a car in Norfolk, VA where he was stationed and it was a used car and was in okay shape, I guess. Anyways some guy hit us in the back and left the scene. His insurance company paid for the damages and the car ran for about two weeks and the transmission went out. My ex refused to pay for it and it was impounded. My ex left me in VA and did not pay for the car at all. How was I going to pay for it myself?

Well, now I am remarried and finally happy and it's three years later and I get garnished by Coastal Credit. They want the money for the car. So my wages are being garnished for over $4500.00. I co-signed for the vehicle which was a big mistake. I asked Coastal Credit if they would garnish his wages as well, and they will not because he has a kid and I guess they don't think he can afford it. He has a job just like me so I think it's very unfair. It is not my fault he has a kid so why should I just be punished and not him.

I feel like it would be fair if I paid half and he paid half but Coastal Credit will not go that route because I guess it does not work that way. Anyway let me get to the point. I would like to know if there is anyway possible I can do something about this. I have already paid almost half of the garnishment. It is killing my check. I have worked so hard to get where I am today and now I'm paying for this alone. He always got away with everything, he even went AWOL from the Navy and had to go to jail for a week. He got out of that too. Now I am paying for a car that I don't even own and did not get anything out of it.

Original review: April 3, 2001

I am paying on a repossession and they are wanting me to fill out this, that, and the other. Please Help Me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coastal Credit?

Coastal Credit Company Information