1.10/5

136 Citibank Student Loans Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 6, 2019

I got my student loan through Discover and had no problem for the first year or so. I refinanced my loan and had my co-signer removed so everything was in my name. I had everything set up and had auto pay. Discover would debit my checking account each month and the money was applied toward my student loan account. I came to find out later on that even though the money was taken from my account each month, Discover did not credit it toward my student loan payment. They took my money each month and I have no idea what they did with it but I do know that it didn’t go toward paying down my loan. This went on for about 8 months, if I hadn’t checked my Discover account I wouldn’t have known there was a problem.

According to Discover my student loan hadn’t been paid in 8 months. I called to question this and at first got a run around for a weeks. I provided statements from my bank proving that Discover took my money but didn’t apply it toward my loan. Finally after calling every day, they corrected the problem and my loan is now up to date as it should have been all along. Now my problem is the due to Discover’s screw ups my credit has taken a big hit. Discover refuses to write a letter explaining to the credit agencies that this was entirely their mistake. Customer service is horrible, they simply don't care about their customers. They won’t apologize or admit to their mistake. I’m in the process to refinancing with another company now. Worst student loans ever....stay far away.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

The interest rate on my student loan went up without a warning. I need it to go back to 3.5% or even lower.

Get expert buying tips about Student Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

Long story short, there are records of me having delinquent payments in 2014 that should be lifted from my account. I recently called the company to have it removed as I am trying to release my cosigner. They acknowledged that by THEIR records my account should not have delinquencies. I ALSO have my bank statements to prove it. I spoke with the manager and he assured me that this will be resolved. 2 weeks later, after repeated attempts to get an update on my status, no change, AND NOW they are trying to collect $880 from me, saying that I had not paid for the past 2 months. Note that the manager just a couple weeks ago told me my account was up to date and had no issues. Looked into two years' worth of statements and again my bank statements prove that I've paid them without interruption. I have had it with this bank. I have filed complaints with their AG and the Office of the State Bank Commissioner.

Original review: June 9, 2016

This is regarding 'Jessica' ** who would not allow me to pay my bill over the phone using my desired method of payment. The gentleman who is the account holder for the desired payment account stepped out of the room while she was on the phone with me. She informed me that because she could not speak with him she would not process my payment over the phone. That's understandable, what followed was not.

Jessica proceeded then to wait on the phone for my PAYMENT confirmation number knowing very well that I was using the form of payment she had just told me could not be applied. Does that process make any sense? Additionally, when I requested that I be re-enrolled in the auto-pay and thus get the 0.25% benefit she informed me that she would MAIL me the forms, in the physical mail and there was no way to enroll in auto-pay online or over the phone. This seems like a problem EVERY other company has already solved... this is the 21st Century - get with it Citibank.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

I called in to make a payment and the call was dropped so I called again and explained to the other rep what had happened. He re-did the payment and assured me it would not come out twice. I asked about 4 times to confirm this. Of course it did come out twice and now I'm all screwed up with other payments that are going to clear my bank account. I called and another rep said they can't reverse the charges for 20 days because within 20 days my bank has the authority to dispute the charge. That costs me $30. No.

I have cancelled automatic payments with them, requested a new checking account number and now their payments will be mailed via Money Order through the USPS. I guess to protect myself I have to take care of this the longer way. Don't call me when it's late cause nobody on my end cares. You had your chance and you're dealing with an ** that doesn't care about credit. Threaten me all you want. Have a nice day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2016

I am a cosigner for two loans for my daughter. First of, the loans originally totaled $25,000. After paying more than $12,000 back, she still over $25,000 due to unfair interest calculations and having to recently defer payments. When I signed these loans, I did so thinking I'd be able to be removed after 24 months of on-time payments as stated in the loan terms that I signed. After making such payments, we attempted to get my removed as a co-signer. Only the main borrower can request this action. The form can only be "mailed". It took over three weeks to receive the form. The form has to be completed by the main borrower and "mailed" back. The process of getting a response took nearly two months!!

The response received was that my daughter did not have sufficient credit to release me as a creditor. Guess what is hurting her credit...the outstanding student loans!!! She is employed, but struggling and has experienced a couple of times of unemployment. During that time, I continued to make her payments for her to keep her current and help my case to get released as a co-signer. We have tried four different times to get this release action done, each time taking at least four months for the process because they make it so cumbersome apparently on purpose because today's technology gives them no excuse. Each time it is denied due to their opinion of her not being creditworthy.

I'm pretty sure I'll never get released which in turn has ruined my credit and keeps this debt hanging over my head for many many years to come. DON'T GET A LOAN WITH CITIBANK. THEY SCAM, RIP-OFF AND RUIN EVERYONE'S LIFE WHO IS CONNECTED TO THE LOAN! I encourage everyone to start writing your congressmen and women and state representatives to get this student loan nightmare the attention and reform it needs before it ruins so many more young lives.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

Stay away from Citibank. They honestly have the worst practice in terms of debt collecting. They call very early in the morning and very late at night. They call multiple times a week and it is endless. It's awful. Thank God I am about $5K from paying them off completely and I will NEVER deal with them again. I have multiple student loans with several lenders and when I was behind in my payments Citibank by far was the most harassing. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I was more willing to pay off my other lenders on time than Citibank. And yes, I know that hurt me but Citibank really overdoes it with the harassing calls.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2015

I have been trying to repay my student loans since my grace period has ended after graduating. I had called many times to try and separate my payments to make them more bearable with my salary and instead they gave me a ton of grief and called every month four to five times a day when I could not make the full payment even when I scheduled a payment for the next week I got paid. Now I just found out I am going out on workers comp and I will be making even less money and they will do absolutely nothing to help me out. They will not lower the payments and they will not let me go on a forbearance because I already did one before returning to school when my last company closed. I am already struggling to make the payments while working and I have no idea what I am going to do now that I will be out of work. They are rude and do not care about their customers at all.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2015

I took out federal and non-federal student loans during 2000-2004 while attending the University of Notre Dame. The loan was through Citibank Student Loans with a total of approximately $40,000. I have made all payments on time and typically paid more than the minimum payment because I was trying to repay back my loans faster. I was able to pay off all my loans by 2011.

It is now Sept. 2015 and I'm trying to get a mortgage. My mortgage lender informs me that Citibank had filed a dispute on my student loan. I had never heard of this before and it was shocking since it's been a couple of years since I had paid off my loans. I called Citibank and they said that the dispute was filed with the credit agencies because of how my last payment was redistributed. This didn't make any sense. You would think that paying off a student loan would have been a good thing; not something to file a dispute over. They will be sending me a letter via snail mail which will take 5-7 days for me to receive stating that the dispute is closed and that my loans are all paid off. They cannot send me an e-mail or fax to confirm this. They cannot overnight me this letter. I'm most likely not going to be able to meet my mortgage commitment due date because of this, since it is holding up my mortgage application process.

I'm filing a complaint because I was treated unfairly by Citibank and they are not willing to do all they can to help me address the repercussions of their mistake. I would like this to be published so that other consumers are warned and if they did have a student loan with Citibank, it doesn't hurt to check if there is an open dispute against them. Especially for those who paid off their loans early and are asking Citibank to redistribute the additional payment towards principal instead of interest, since that is apparently why the dispute was opened in the first place.

Be warned that Citibank could be filing a dispute against you without your knowledge even if you are paying off your loans on time or earlier. I would like Citibank to inform their borrowers if they are going to file a dispute with any credit bureaus. Citibank should also take advantage of today's current technology (like fax or e-mail) and allow their customer support specialists to send a fax/e-mail when their customers request it. In my case, I need a fax or e-mail or overnight mail (something fast) from Citibank stating I had paid off all my loans and that the dispute was a mistake. They would not do this and insisted I would have to wait for the snail mail to come in, which would take 5-7 days.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2015

My son has a number of student loans, many of which I am co-signed. When he started repayment he was late on a payment and the calls started instantly. Unfortunately the calls were coming to me, four and five times a day even though he was trying to get set up on automatic payment. Three times he set up the payment program but they were just taking the single payments instead of a monthly deduction. Meanwhile these truly unpleasant people were harassing my wife and I constantly even though I told them what was going on and to contact my son. They finally managed to set up the payment program but not before these people and I am being kind here, reported all the late payments to my credit report. I went from an 830 score to 678 just because of these vindictive unprofessional collectors. I don't know if I have any recourse but would like to learn if possible.

Citibank Student Loans Company Information