Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

Citibank Reviews

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I’m in a financial struggle at the moment and my spouse is not currently working so I called to make arrangements to keep my account open. The person I spoke to first was not very helpful and I'm sure the company has the conversation recorded. She proceeded to tell me that my account will be closed if I wanted to make arrangements which I did not understand due to a letter that I received today stating that they can help make payment arrangements. I told her never mind. I will wait till my next payment is due. Make the minimum. I just want to keep my account open. I’m in a dilemma.

It so happens that I received a phone call 5-10 min later regarding an attempt to collect a debt from the Same company that I just got off the phone with and I explained to the gentleman name Justin that was very helpful and understanding to the situation and is willing to work with me and he also did not understand why he called after I just spoke to someone about 5-10 min again but I am thankful that he did call. Justin I couldn’t get your last name but I do hope you are recognized for the great work that you do. You truly made my day much better knowing that I still have a chance. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

About 2 weeks ago I was at the Westwood branch and during my visit I have met one of the bankers by name Pavel ** - Nmls id#**, branch #624, Market Place CA13. He offer me his help and spent with me time helping to resolve some issues. He demonstrate high level of professionalism parallel with excellent customer service. I came to branches very rarely and I was very impressed by his work; nobody before was trying to help me as this person. At the end I can tell that I will try to bring at this branch in close future not less than $30000, just because of this person.

I did spoke to branch manager about his work and I asked him how can I leave feedback to their superior. He gave me advice and I left a feedback verbally to Citibank rep over the phone, the same time to make sure I do this review now through email. To get a customer sometimes take years, to lose customer you do not need even to say something, a look that you give can break relations. I really want this worker to be rewarded or promoted, people like him make a difference in our business life. Alex **. Ps. I am not perfect in English, since I never attended school in USA, but I hope you will understand my feelings.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

If you want a excellent way to contact CitiBank Support; with a real person, fast response and a excellent support agent, (forget using their mobile app). Text Citibank through Messenger. You'll be surprised by their effort to help you resolve your issue!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I have been banking at Citibank for over 20 years. They changed names a few times but I always stay with them. Their customer service is also good. They always help me if I have a problem, most times they can handle it through the phone. I have been very happy with Citibank.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My husband and I wanted to buy a house and take out a loan along with it. Now usually that takes a long time however Doreen sped the whole process up. She walked us through every step, was patient with all of our questions, and got everything done in a timely manner. When she found out we were having some problems on other ends of this whole process, she helped with the other departments to get everything done on time. Thanks to her and her dedication, we are now moved into the new house with everything in place on the financial side.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: May 27, 2020

I've had a Citi double cash for a few years, never late and always paid balance off in full. Also have sears with them. My credit is good! I just applied for a balance transfer card, but recently moved but updated my address before I applied. They told me they needed more info, then I received a letter stating they wanted me to send a light bill for proof of address. I live in an RV Park fulltime so I dont get a light bill, so I sent in a copy of my rent receipt. A lady called me and said that wasn't proof of my address, well why would I get a rent receipt from the RV park if I didn't live there!!! I told her my insurance and other creditors have this address, but nothing was good enough.

When I mailed the rent receipt I told her she could call and verify if she needed to. She could call me but couldn't call the RV park. I haven't changed over my driver license so I couldn't send that, so I told her I couldn't anything as she wouldn't accept any simple process and she quickly asked if I wanted to cancel my application, as if she couldn't wait! She didn't want to do any work I guess! So I told her I would have to, since she wouldn't accept anything I could give her and may cancel my other cards later! Her response to that was, "Have a nice day." Well I have other cards, I don't need citi!!!

Original review: May 26, 2020

The worst credit card company ever!. Please do not ever ever ever ever get a credit card with them. I gave them a deposit of $1,000 and then waited for my card to come in mail for 4 month??!! The clowns they have working for them could not get my address right. They kept wasting my time and then said I had to wait another 3 weeks for a letter to be sent so I can cancel my account. I waited for that too. I have been waiting for about 4 months to get my money back that I paid. I still don't have my correct address.

Original review: May 26, 2020

I am a frontline healthcare worker and I have been working the COVID19 pandemic since day 1. Last week I found out Citi lowered my credit limit by $1000, after I finally made a large payment to the card. I called to appeal it, was told there was nothing that could be done. It is unconscionable to me that this is how they treat the essential workers they claim to be there for, and I am ashamed to be their customer.

Original review: May 14, 2020

In mid April, 2020, my Facebook account was hacked into and disabled. Soon after, I noticed three unauthorized charges to my checking account, each for $250. The charges were made through Facebook, and came from Menlo Park, CA. When I noticed these charges, I immediately contacted Citibank to cancel my debit card and order a new one. I disputed the charges, asked for an investigation, and in the meantime, Citibank put the $750 back in my account.

I've been sending messages to Facebook about these charges, as well as in regards to the disabling of my account, and the hijacking of my fan page (which is now being controlled by someone else without my permission.) I have received no answer from Facebook. About a week ago, I received a letter telling me the dispute had been settled. Yesterday, however, I received three letters, each concerning one of the three unauthorized charges. The letters told me it had been determined that I was responsible for the charges, and that the money would again be withdrawn from my account.

Now, my account is overdrawn, and I still have no idea what those charges are for, who they were made by, or why I am still being penalized when I've taken all the correct actions one should take after being targeted by scammers or hackers. I've been in contact with Citibank from the very beginning of this ordeal. Today, I was on the phone from 9:30am to 1:30pm, trying to get answers from the bank. The phone calls kept dropping, and I had to call back six times. While I was initially told that my case was being reopened and transferred to someone in the fraud department, I was then told by another representative that they had no record of the case being passed on. I was told that the only way to make an appeal is through mail or fax, and that I will also have to ask for provisional credit in the meantime, which could take up to ten days.

Right now, my account is overdrawn, and I don't feel Citibank is doing enough to investigate the fraudulent charges and return the money to my account. Looking at consumer reviews online, I've noticed other complaints made against Citibank in regards to their handling of fraudulent charges during the pandemic. I notice there seems to be a pattern.

Original review: May 13, 2020

This company not only is rude to their customers but is also zero help. On the phone with four different people, including a supervisor, and all incredibly rude and don’t care. Supervisor even hung up.

Citibank author review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor