Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Citibank is a long-standing bank. It has always been trustworthy for me. The only downside is their fees, don't like being nickel and dimed just because I don't hold a lot of money in accounts; but then again, other banks are no better when it comes to this. Give to the rich - take from the poor. Bad practice.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I have my accounts with Citibank for over 18 years and was pleased until moving out of the city years ago. It is a secure and reliable bank but lacks local branches. From an experience point of view, if you don't live in New York city you will be frustrated in trying to find one.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I like that Citibank has 24/7 customer service and has ATMs all over. The fees are pretty average. I remember comparing them with Chase and found their services similar. Santander once had a $20/month for a year incentive for new customers but I didn't switch because it's not as big of a bank. One of the last times I went to Citibank, I saw an account, possibly a CD for 2.5% interest but the minimum was $25,000, so that didn't tempt me. I heard were very helpful to a relative when he was traveling abroad and his card was stolen but I was not told the details. I just started using the app a few months ago and it's very helpful to see my transactions lined up. I was unclear if a pending debit was taken into account with my current balance. The phone system tells me that important information. I also have two custodial accounts for my kids and it would be helpful to see their names on them so I don't have to look up their account numbers.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I’m in a financial struggle at the moment and my spouse is not currently working so I called to make arrangements to keep my account open. The person I spoke to first was not very helpful and I'm sure the company has the conversation recorded. She proceeded to tell me that my account will be closed if I wanted to make arrangements which I did not understand due to a letter that I received today stating that they can help make payment arrangements. I told her never mind. I will wait till my next payment is due. Make the minimum. I just want to keep my account open. I’m in a dilemma.

It so happens that I received a phone call 5-10 min later regarding an attempt to collect a debt from the Same company that I just got off the phone with and I explained to the gentleman name Justin that was very helpful and understanding to the situation and is willing to work with me and he also did not understand why he called after I just spoke to someone about 5-10 min again but I am thankful that he did call. Justin I couldn’t get your last name but I do hope you are recognized for the great work that you do. You truly made my day much better knowing that I still have a chance. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

About 2 weeks ago I was at the Westwood branch and during my visit I have met one of the bankers by name Pavel ** - Nmls id#**, branch #624, Market Place CA13. He offer me his help and spent with me time helping to resolve some issues. He demonstrate high level of professionalism parallel with excellent customer service. I came to branches very rarely and I was very impressed by his work; nobody before was trying to help me as this person. At the end I can tell that I will try to bring at this branch in close future not less than $30000, just because of this person.

I did spoke to branch manager about his work and I asked him how can I leave feedback to their superior. He gave me advice and I left a feedback verbally to Citibank rep over the phone, the same time to make sure I do this review now through email. To get a customer sometimes take years, to lose customer you do not need even to say something, a look that you give can break relations. I really want this worker to be rewarded or promoted, people like him make a difference in our business life. Alex **. Ps. I am not perfect in English, since I never attended school in USA, but I hope you will understand my feelings.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

One week ago they blocked my access to all funds pending internal review. They said they sent a letter which they did not. Like other people here they lied to me about their actions and hang up on me when I seek info. I live in NYC. Can someone recommend an attorney who can help me?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I opened a High Yield Savings Account with Citibank. I transferred $100,000 from my local bank to Citibank. Citibank took the money out of my local bank account, flagged it as "fraud" and now will not give me my money back. It is 10 days later, and I have been on the phone MANY times with supervisors. I keep being told that the money will be in my account within 3-4 business days. If I stole $100,000 from Citibank I would be in federal prison. Yet Citibank has no consequences for stealing $100,000 from me. This is absolutely ridiculous. In the US we are supposed to be able to trust the banking system -- Citibank is absolutely horrendous and as of now, are crooks.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I have been a long time patron of Citibank. Since I have been in Florida, I have seen the bank going steadily down hill. They have been reducing hours in branches (before COVID) and now have shut down branches in my area. No other banks have done this, I call my relationship manager and get no return calls. I tried to do a wire transfer, and had to go to Two branches before I found someone who could do it. They never asked for ID. I hate to have to change banks, but I don’t feel my money is safe.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I made an external transfer for $1500 that Citibank first rejected, then lost. It has been 3 weeks and they still cannot find it. Every supervisor I speak with gives me the runaround, lying to me. They blame the bank they pulled the money from but then say it will definitely be in my account on a certain date. The date comes and goes. I’ve spent hours on the phone for weeks trying to get answers while they make interest on my money they refuse to return. Always something else someone else is supposed to do that never does. Meanwhile I will be spending money on interest for my property taxes because I’ll be late waiting for them to return my money. It’s a disgrace. Then the supervisors complain that you’re calling every day. I’m sure if their money got lost they would do the same thing. You are in for a lot of heartache if you use this bank. Don’t be fooled by the .9% interest on savings. They can’t even handle a basic transfer.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

Citibank was offering promotional bonuses for opening checking and savings accounts. I tried to open the accounts online but the website would not allow me to do so, so I called customer service. The woman was very easy to talk, said I was still eligible for the promotional bonuses when opening by phone. The last step of that phone call was the funding of the Citibank accounts. She told me I could have Citibank withdraw the funds from my existing online savings account. I asked if she was sure this would work since all prior times I opened an online account I had to have my existing bank account send out the money to the new account. She swore it was done all the time without issue, but added that I "would be called, texted, or emailed if there was a failure" and again added that "there should NOT be."

Over a week later I checked, expecting to see the money deducted from my existing bank account. It was not! I had already set up my Citibank online banking, so I checked and found that I had a NEGATIVE balance; I had been charged a returned check fee. I had to wait until Monday to call yet again because the 24 hour customer support could not address the matter. Over and over the 24 hour customer service- I called either overnight or on weekends- either could not provide an answer or gave such unbelievable answers that I KNEW the information was wrong. If it was M-F on the One Step Sales Unit line at least I could ask to speak to someone like a supervisor. Further, there is NO WAY for a customer of Citibank to send an email or secure message to ask questions or receive help via the website.)

On Monday, I called Citibank One Stop Sales Unit and was told I was charged this fee because my other account had blocked the withdrawal. I needed a supervisor to really explain what went wrong; get the fee reversed, and to make a complaint that their own agent had told me that it could and would work the way she had set it up (and clearly what she told me was totally incorrect!). Despite all the promises in that first phone call with Citibank, Citi had made no attempt to notify me by phone, text, or email that the deposit had failed, or that I had been charged for a returned check.

That same day (14 days after opening by now) I went into my non-Citi account; arranged for the external link to the Citibank account; and I set up the transfer. Three days after I had seen the money was being sent to Citibank, the money was back in the original account. Again I had to wait until daytime hours to call to get a resolution. After speaking to 3 different people I got a real answer: the wrong routing number for Citibank was used (apparently there are many). That same hour, I set up a new transfer from my other bank account to the Citibank account using the correct routing number. That was 19 days after opening this account (the account must be funded within 30 days of opening to be eligible for the bonuses). The transfer was FINALLY successful 25 days after opening the accounts.

I then transferred the funds from the checking into the savings so I met all the requirements, and I had already set up the direct deposits weeks before to earn the extra $100. In every one of the at least 10 different conversations I had with Citibank customer service agents and supervisors up to this point, I made sure that I had clearly stated that I was opening these accounts with the goal of earning the promotional money. Each time I was told that it was documented in the records from the original phone call that I was eligible for the promotion (coupon code was applied)- every call until after meeting all the requirements and calling customer service to ask when I could expect the bonus deposited.

That call was on a weekend and that man tried to say there was NO record of any promotion being attached to the accounts that I had opened. I told him that made no sense because everyone else I had talked to said it was clearly there. He asked if I had a verification email. It had been so long since opening I had forgotten, but I DID have one and produced the code for him. He sounded so unprofessional, I asked to speak to a supervisor. He said he would transfer me. Instead for over 45 minutes before I hung up the landline, I listened to banging, distant music and occasional bursts of laughter. After 25 minutes of this, I called Citibank customer service line again from my cell phone and reported the whole thing to the female who answered.

This was all during COVID-19 in the summer so I had originally thought that was the cause for weird background noises (i.e. people working from home) but it was clear that man never made any attempt to transfer the call to anyone. As for the promotional bonuses, I made sure every requirement was met and waited an additional 10 days beyond that and still no bonus in my accounts. After those two fruitless calls on the weekend, I decided to just speak with a supervisor on Monday. She was great: she opened up a case, agreeing I had met all requirements on the date I had calculated. The case was answered within 3 business days via secure message.

They wrote that I had met every requirement but they did not have some tax document (W9) in my file. NO ONE had ever told me about needing to fill out some tax document. I downloaded the form and mailed TWO separate completed forms (with a note telling them in each envelope that I was sending two separate copies so they could not say they never received it) on two separate days from 2 different mailboxes. I heard nothing more, so about a week later I called again. After >20 minutes on hold, a customer service agent tried to tell me that I had to wait an additional 90 days now that they had the tax document in my file! I told her "No, not at all. The communication in my account says once the form is received, I will get my bonus."

She put me on hold again and again and FINALLY, another 15 minutes later, said she was gonna open another case- that the other was closed so she could not use that case number. The next day there was a notice in my account saying a new investigation had been opened and I should have an answer in several business days. Investigation results are always sent by secure message. Instead, 7 days after calling to open the 2nd investigation, I received an email in my home email account that stated:

"Dear ** Thank you for choosing Citi for your banking needs, and for your enrollment in the Citibank $400 Checking Offer. Unfortunately, we’ve determined you haven’t fulfilled the Offer’s eligibility requirements for the following reason: You did not provide your required tax documentation during the offer period." Again I would have to call the next day. The next day I called and asked for a supervisor at the One Stop Sales Unit number. I told her about the email I had received and that I reviewed every single document AGAIN and that nowhere did it ever state that I had to mail in a tax form as part of opening these accounts or, more importantly, as a requirement of earning the promotional bonuses.

She said would open YET ANOTHER investigation. I told her I hoped that she did (she was so apathetic I was not sure she really was going to) because whether she did so or not, I was going to file a complaint with the government agency for banking oversight because I had met every single requirement that they had in writing- and I even had a secure message from them stating I had met every single requirement and all that they were asking for was the W-9- and that they now have that for days, also.

FINALLY 5 days Later I received a secure message saying the $500 bonus would be deposited into my account and it was the same day. If only that was the end of it. After all these interactions, misinformation, lies, deceptions, poor customer service I, of course, have NO desire to maintain a relationship with Citibank. I called to see how I could close the account. She told me to move the money into one of the accounts and authorize her to close the account and they would send me a check. I repeatedly said I wanted to close both accounts. 3 days later the one account is closed. The other account is STILL OPEN with a $0 balance. So I had to call AGAIN. These people are ridiculously bad. There are not words for how bad they are. The ONLY thing they did WELL and as promised was send me the check within 10 business days. In fact I actually got it a full week before I expected to see it.

Citibank author review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor