1.10/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Citibank

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Citibank Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I have been banking at Citibank for over 20 years. They changed names a few times but I always stay with them. Their customer service is also good. They always help me if I have a problem, most times they can handle it through the phone. I have been very happy with Citibank.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My husband and I wanted to buy a house and take out a loan along with it. Now usually that takes a long time however Doreen sped the whole process up. She walked us through every step, was patient with all of our questions, and got everything done in a timely manner. When she found out we were having some problems on other ends of this whole process, she helped with the other departments to get everything done on time. Thanks to her and her dedication, we are now moved into the new house with everything in place on the financial side.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Alameda branch is the closest, so I solve all my banking needs there. Every time the service is impeccable. On Apr. 27 it was again time for banking and had to talk to the manager, Mr. Ryan **. He was fast, courteous, efficient, nice. I was truly impressed. Good job!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I selected Citibank for my mortgage as I have a long standing relationship, several open accounts and the Services and Customer Service was always outstanding. The Mortgage Loan Officer was outstanding and very helpful from the beginning of the process even while I was looking for the right home. She was very patient and responded quickly to my question whether by phone or text and explained the different options so that I could make the right decision. Though I was disappointed in the timeframe between the documentation submissions, pre-approval and final approval which was very lengthy. Applying for a mortgage during the major holidays season further delayed the approval. They also do not provide home renovation loans which would have been useful as I now have to find another way to get this done. Overall I was satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Every time I contact this financial institution I always feel confident and all my issues are handled by people who are there to assist and accommodate their customers. Never was I left unsatisfied with their professional personnel! Keep up the good work Citibank???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

If there is a zero star to rate this experience I had with CITI I would .On 8 October 2019 while I was at M1 Paragon waiting to be served, I was approached by Derrick ** the Sales Officer who was promoting the Citi credit card for airmiles. I am all along keen on airmiles and he sounded convincing so I decided to go for it since it only takes 5 working days to process and hassle free. What I least expected was till today 22/10 I have not receive my card and everyday he will tell the card is in process.

While I was sharing with my colleague the airmiles promotion, he also contacted Derrick and he briefed him the same promotion as I do until 2 days ago he then informed my colleague that the promotion has expired and started to sell him another package which is less attractive. What I do not understand is if the promotion ends on 30 September, why did he still sell to me on 8 October? I decided to speak with Derrick today when I knew about his experience and to my surprise to realise even my card has problem. He said I have chosen cashback as other option instead of airmiles which I am very sure I did not cause cashback was never my interest and the 30K airmiles with minimum spending of 7500 within 3 months was what i wanted. Faint!

Derrick ** started to dissuade me on the airmiles and promoting the $120 cashback which i am really not interested. I seek help from her Manager - Ms Brenda ** and I did not manage to convince her what Derrick sold to me was a misrepresentation. She continue to brief me on the promotion and do nothing to assist me with the miles I wanted nor to offer any alternatives. I have decided not to proceed with the application though he said was approved and just sharing with the public to be more wary of roadshows and remember to request for copies of signed document even though he said it is not necessary. Citibank has failed me once again.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I was called repeatedly from a number that said Home Depot - finally picked up. Was met with a rep named Ranita who yelled at me for 5 minutes. I told her I did not have an account with Home Depot. She said there were late charges. I said I would take that up with my credit card company. She said, "WHAT CREDIT CARD COMPANY, I'M WITH CITIBANK." I said I was not a member with Citi Bank, but rather Chase and what was her name. She said RANITA. I SAID THAT THREE TIMES. So I hung up. Needless to say, won't be switching over to Citi Bank if she is considered a Manager.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I have been a Citibank customer for 25 years. I took a large sum of money from a different bank and brought it to Citibank in May to avoid monthly checking account fees. It took until June to open the account. Ever since then, I have received calls and threatening letters FedEx'd to me that they will block my account if I did not provide information as to where I got my "wealth". I have been on the phone several times and felt suspicious of their questions and that I needed to identify myself (name, birthdate, social security number). Shouldn't they already know this? I then requested help from my local branch manager (nice, helpful people at the branch). He and I completed the "required" form, he scanned it and sent it in. They wanted to know my monthly income, source of my accumulated savings. "Working my butt off" was not an acceptable answer.

Supposedly they never received that form. I have ignored at least 3 phone messages and today sent another FedEx letter threatening to block all of my accounts as of Nov 12 until I answer all of their questions. I WAS ANGRY. They tried to patch me through to my local branch for a conference call, but the manager was not available. After 36 minutes on this call, they will follow up with the branch manager. I am still angry. I should be THANKED for moving money to Citibank, not harassed, I have already moved some money OUT and more may follow. If I did not like my branch people I would be GONE as a customer.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I had applied for a global currency account in June 2019 which still has not processed. Received no update or communication from Citibank. I had to personally contact them to follow up on the application status. Firstly, application did not go through because it was lost in the mail then I submitted again via email and was informed address was written differently to my profile... It is ridiculous that Citibank do not identify "Avenue" as "Ave". I am sure if you type it onto google maps it will come up.

Secondly, application missing a the state? Well, let me tell you this - their form to begin with was not clear "Town/City/Province/County/State" this to anyone looks like you need to choose one of the listed. Thirdly, I have just been notified that going back and forth via phone and email for 5+ times that the application is no longer valid.... Why was I not told in my previous conversations? I do not understand why the process is so difficult. I am not applying for a credit card or anything. It is just simply a debit like card? Extremely frustrating situation. To everyone out there, please do your research before you waste your time.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I opened my account with them, then I added money to the account from my debit card. Then, I called to have the funds transferred back, due to that I was canceling the account with Citibank. The agent informed me that the funds would be back to my debit card within 2-5 days. Then, 2 days later I call to find out what's happening and the other agent informed me that they had cut a check for the amount to send to my house within 3-5 days.

3 days later, I call and I speak with the supervisor and he seemed as though because I did not have an active account that he did not want to help me. He informed me that there were no funds that were going to be added back to my card or even that there was a check coming. So, why did those agents say those things to me? Where did they get that information? Where did my $60 go? The supervisor did not have any answers. What an inconvenience! I can not believe that these bankers were treating me this way. I was appalled. I will never open another account the CitiBank, EVER!

Citibank expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

• Best for: U.S. citizens, global citizens and travelers looking for banking services for any situation.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg