Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.76/5

Citibank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citibank?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Citibank is a long-standing bank. It has always been trustworthy for me. The only downside is their fees, don't like being nickel and dimed just because I don't hold a lot of money in accounts; but then again, other banks are no better when it comes to this. Give to the rich - take from the poor. Bad practice.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I have been a Citi customer for over 20 years. The only real problem I have is logging into their website most of the time. For some reason it usually takes 2 to 3 attempts. I have spoken to customer service and they can't see the problem. Just annoying at times.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I have my accounts with Citibank for over 18 years and was pleased until moving out of the city years ago. It is a secure and reliable bank but lacks local branches. From an experience point of view, if you don't live in New York city you will be frustrated in trying to find one.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I like that Citibank has 24/7 customer service and has ATMs all over. The fees are pretty average. I remember comparing them with Chase and found their services similar. Santander once had a $20/month for a year incentive for new customers but I didn't switch because it's not as big of a bank. One of the last times I went to Citibank, I saw an account, possibly a CD for 2.5% interest but the minimum was $25,000, so that didn't tempt me. I heard were very helpful to a relative when he was traveling abroad and his card was stolen but I was not told the details. I just started using the app a few months ago and it's very helpful to see my transactions lined up. I was unclear if a pending debit was taken into account with my current balance. The phone system tells me that important information. I also have two custodial accounts for my kids and it would be helpful to see their names on them so I don't have to look up their account numbers.

Original review: July 27, 2020

I have been with both B of A and Chase. I am no longer with either of those financial institutions, that should make a statement in and of itself. Citi may have its own not so good points I am not aware of, but for my purposes they have served my wife and I well.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I’m with Citibank since 2013 and On Jan 11th 2021 My Citibank priority checking account was blocked suddenly without notification, and the remaining funds in the amount of $126000 were frozen without any explanation. Few days later I was told my accounts would be closed and the funds would not be released. Since I have no wrong doing or suspicious activities on my account (like bounce checks, Bitcoin or foreign wire) I immediately contact them and see if there’s any misunderstandings. After several calls to different departments I’m getting bounce back and forth with their phone supports and they claims they have no real authority on the subject matters. That’s fine. I went ahead and filed complaints with CFPB, BBB, FDIC and initiate an arbitration with AAA. If they refuse to return my funds then we will end up in courts. I seriously hope my lesson will serve as a warning for everyone whom is reading this.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Every single one of my other banks helped my family by waiving late fees in order to help me catch up in a difficult time during a pandemic. Citibank was the only one who wouldn't. Even when I talked about being scared about not being able to feed my children if they demanded I catch up in full before considering additional help. They quibble over a measly $250 past due even when I was willing to chop it by $150 today if they would help. Sorry but my children's bellies come first. True colors shown, Citibank.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Contacted Citi on 1/13/21 after becoming aware that my deceased mother had a Citi card. Although there was a zero balance on the account I felt it was important to notify them. The only information I have on the account was from a statement I received on 12/14/20. I called to let Citi know that both the primary on the card, my father who died in 1999, and the secondary, my mother were deceased and that any additional activity on the card would be unauthorized. The first individual I talked with was able to help me locate the account using the name of the primary and the mailing address. I was transferred to another individual with the ID beginning with 1487 was unable to locate the account because I do not have the Social Security number for the primary.

I suggested that the person who transferred the call had been able to locate the account with the information I could provide. I was told the account could not be accessed and I could not be helped. I told this individual that I was putting Citi on notice that both cardholders are deceased and that no one would be responsible for and future charges on the card. The reply was that I could not do that and she was terminating the call because it was no longer productive.

I had a Citi card in the 1980s and it ended with a terrible mess because they were unable to process a $25 credit. Every time they agreed I was due the credit and processed the credit they immediately charged my account again for the same amount. I attempted to resolve the problem on multiple occasions. This resulted in over $400 in late fees and interest on an amount I did not owe. The company that the original charge was for sent the credit for $25 to Citi and Citi agreed they had received the credit. They began calling and harassing me and threatening to take action to collect money I never owed them. I had to finally tell them if they contacted me again I would consider it harassment. The collection calls ended at that point. It is sad to see in the 30 years since my first experience the Citi nothing has changed. I urge everyone to avoid doing business with Citi.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Getting in touch with a call center based in India is brutal, wasted time on hold and reps that can't understand what you are saying. Your recent lies about Trump was the final straw. There was way more destruction, death and riots from the left this year, than from some instigators at the Capitol which he did NOT have control of. You should keep your political bias to yourself. I will make my payment and close the card I've had for the better part of 20 yrs.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

I started a Citibank checking and savings account because I thought that a company as large as Citibank would be professional, knowledgeable, and qualified to handle my little account - WRONG - They are the exact opposite! I opened the account online and the next day I had an "ATM" card FedEx to my doorstep. I thought this was quick. Well it turns out it was the wrong card for my account. So, after 45 minutes on hold and countless security questions that were absurd I finally got my info straight and I had another card FedEx delivered the next day.

Eventually I ended up with 4 cards to one account and not a single one worked. Next thing I know the fraud department has placed a hold on my account without prior notice and froze my funds. I just mobile deposited 3 checks totaling 250$. Well so much for getting those funds back. I can't get anyone to help unfreeze my account and I've been hung up on 3 times out of the 8 phone calls I've had to make in order to try to get this squared away.

I have no access to my money; no access to my on-line account; no access to my debit card and I'm continuing to get emails and automated messages daily on what I don't know. These folks barely speak English and have no banking experience whatsoever! I have to warn anyone who is or who are thinking about starting an account with these half-wits to GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY FOR YOUR FINANCIAL SERVICES!

Citibank author review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1812, Citi is a leading global bank with approximately 20 million customer accounts in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citibank works to provide consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial services and products.

• Services and products: Citi has a vast array of services for individuals, businesses and governmental institutions. Their products include banking, credit cards, lending and investing offerings. The Citi services include online banking, account alerts, bill pay, eBills, money transfer, Popmoney® and more.

• Locations: Citi is organized around four geographic regions; Asia, Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and North America. The company has offices in most every major city in the world.

• Credit cards: The Citi credit cards include Visa and MasterCards across most segments including low interest, balance transfer, rewards, no annual fee, cash back, business, student, travel, secure and more.

• Mobile banking: The Citi mobile app allows consumers to keep track of their banking transactions, move money, pay bills, email funds and more. The interactive, graphic displays help customers manage their spending and saving.

• Security: Citi offers online and mobile fraud protection, identity theft solutions, overdraft protection and the highest level of asset defense.

• Special offers: Citibank offers customers an array of lending, banking and credit offers that are regularly updated.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor