Charter One Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On January 11, my Dad passed away unexpectedly. On January 16th, I went to the local office in Onalaska, Wisconsin and turned in his cable and phone equipment, paid his final bill and closed his account. This was handled very efficiently. The rep at that location was helpful. However, on February 4th, I received a letter from Charter stating that since his final payment was returned from the bank, they were turning his account over to collections. My Dad was set up on auto-draw for his payment, but I cancelled that at the office on January 16th when we paid the final bill and I also had closed his bank account.

I called the 1-800 number on the letter and after a ton of options and just stating "representative", I got a real person. It took awhile, but she got the billing issue fixed. The service rep took care of it, I hope. I did everything "by the book", returned equipment, paid his final bill immediately and then get this awful letter. They just made a bad day worse!! He was with Charter for many, many years (no other options in his area) and never had a late bill or a returned payment. How about a little research on an account before sending a nasty letter?

Consumer Increased Rating!

Received a response from the office of the Chairman who stated s/he wanted to learn more and resolve the issue. That was a nice start. They never connected with me but, in continuing to check on my credit card account and payment debits from checking the bill was finally paid five days late - as a paper check. The late fee was magically reversed and therefore no accrued interest occurred as best I can tell.

This is my conclusion from continuing to check on my account status. They never communicated a resolution. It also is interesting that I worked for days to get my local level to handle this and couldn't get a call or a communication, but the corporate office got involved due to the nature and origin of this complaint on Consumer Affairs. In my opinion it seems there is a lack of integration of two firms where policy and procedure are changing without effective roll out (i.e. acquisition integration chaos)

In the interest of full disclosure, one of Citizens Bank's Consumer Affairs notes asked for my phone number for contact, which I provided but unfortunately had a typographical error in it - one number was incorrect. Since the websie does not allow me to make edits to past notes - and I could not add a new message to correct the error, I made two requests of the Consumer Affairs Webmaster to make the correction for me. Did not get a response. I also will point out the Citizens Banks records will show I have been a customer with their acquired bank for decades - so they easily could have found me if they wanted - especially since they knew the credit card account to apply the reversal of the late fee.

I still maintain their electronic bill pay is NOT electronic bill pay if they continue to arbitrarily choose the method of bill payment without notifying the customer at the time of the transaction. That they got involved at all will gain them an additional star. That I never received an explanation of what happened or ANY follow-up contact at any level of Citizen's Bank is unacceptable.

James of North Canton, OH on

Original Review

Have used Citizens Bank online bill pay for years (prior they were CharterOne) with never a problem until two months in a row, I tried to pay two large credit card payments to cover a kitchen remodel ($15,000 and $13,000). Always checking my accounts and making sure bills are paid, I noticed the first month's payment of $15k was not debited from my account on the day it was due. Since I stay debt free and never pay interest, I panicked since the amount was so high. I tried many times to talk to a human being - but their horrible automated phone menu just kept taking me in circles.

But, I finally got an agent to talk to me who also talked in circles. She stated the check was sent via standard mail (i.e. a paper check that I could have written and mailed) since the amount was so high. I asked what the limit was and why this isn't communicated at the time of programming the payment on their system. She didn't know. I asked why I was not given a pop-up message about writing a paper check and the bank using standard mail service. She didn't know. Then she tried to tell me I did not give them enough lead-time in days to make the electronic payment. I explained they had 5 days to prepare for the electronic payment and stated that excuse was not even rational - to which she reverted to saying it was the amount of the check. Which is it?? She didn't know.

Adverse effect on me: I needed the credit card payment to be credited on the day I programmed the electronic payment so I could continue buying up to my credit limit for the kitchen project. I couldn't so it because it was handled with normal human posting of the paper check that was mailed, so I missed making a needed purchase since the clearing of the account took a few days.

Exactly one month later - on the same electronic payment (this time for $13,000) - after programming this THREE WEEKS before payment was programmed, and with no alerts or messages or warnings about anything, the bill did not get paid. I tried to call and could not get through to anyone so I called the branch manager (a new one this time), very upset and told him he was going to call his processing center and fix this problem because I was tired of using electronic bill pay only to have paper checks mailed by USPS. He told me I was being negative and unless I was willing to come to the branch and sit down so he could pull up the account and look at it, he could do nothing to help me, and suggested I get out of my rabbit hole of negativity. It has been two days after the due date and nothing has been done, nobody has called, and the bill has not been paid.

Adverse Impact to me: A $27.00 late fee on the credit card and accruing interest on a balance of $19,000. I am so angry at their fraudulent "electronic" bill pay service, and total lack of responsibility and accountability toward my credit record, and reputation with my credit card company that I am closing all of my accounts (about 8) totaling over $60,000. I do not know if there is another bank that is any better but I am going out to look next week with some of the checks in hand from the closed accounts with Citizens Bank. FRAUDULENT SERVICES, IRRESPONSIBLE PEOPLE, UNETHICAL BUSINESS PRACTICES.

They are very misleading and tell you whatever to sign up and never come through with the promotion. I have spoke to 5 different people and no one can help. The girl Kaley that works at the branch is very rude! I will close my account and not refer anyone to such a miserable branch of people. They cheat and lie to get you to sign up.

They stopped sending me threatening letters after I visited the local office. I am still angry about their indecency.

arun of Sylvania, OH on

Original Review

I closed my account. This bank is still sending me harassing note that I owe them $9.92. If I do not pay they will report it to consumer reporting agency. Why the consumer agency do not take action against such unscrupulous companies? I AM 80 YEARS OLD. So they think that they can threaten me to pay them. I despise this kind of business. Do you?

I have two complaints. The first one was two yeas ago. I deposited two checks from someone which were not good. I got charged two separate fees for those deposits even though nothing bounced. They told me that I should have checked the checks to make sure they were good before depositing them even though they could have been good the day I deposit them, and the person that made the checks to me could have withdrawn the money between the time I called and between the time it took the bank to transfer the money from their account to mine but yet I get fined for bad deposits as well as the check writer.

Second complaint. I thought a check was the same as cash so when you deposit a check you are able to use the funds. I deposited a check for $5500.00 one day and wrote a check that was cashed the same day and got charged an overdraft fee because they needed a day to process that check before the funds where available. So technically, a check is just a note for the bank to transfer funds from one account to another and they need a day to do this. The deposit was even a bank issued check from another bank but still isn't considered a cash voucher anymore. They charged me almost $40 for having the funds in the account but not available till the next day to use.

If you ask me, there is something wrong with the way banks do things now. They couldn't even hold the check I wrote to make sure my deposit I made earlier was good enough but charged me anyhow. Why do they even use checks anymore if they don't mean anything anymore but a piece of paper to act on it when they have time to do so. At least they could have called the bank right then when you deposit it to transfer the funds so you can have the money you worked hard for instead of taking every opportunity to hurt the people that put the money that they build interest being in their bank in the first place. Isn't fair and I'm sure that everyone else would agree. Someone help me get my money back please so I can go to a bank that appreciates my money in their hands. Thanks, **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter One Bank?

I hate Charter One from the beginning - they were terrible I should've never gone there. They canceled one of my cards without warning or notice. They locked me out of my account for absolutely NO reason. Eventually they said it was because of an update they did but I didn't even find that out until my 5th time calling. Last but definitely not least they put false money in my account so that I would think I had money I didn't have and I overdraft 54 dollars. I don't have overdraft protection but they still charged me an overdraft protection Fee and my accrued fee until I had a positive balance. By the time my direct deposit came almost HALF my check was gone. They said sorry but there's nothing they can do. Every time I call one of the locations in Euclid, Ohio they put me on hold forever until I eventually have to hang up - 3 times I've been on hold for 15 minutes until I hung up!!!

Paid off equity line of credit in 2014. I then received a bill for $100 fee for having loan under the minimum amount (LESS than 20% of maximum allowed). I went to local branch and was informed I could not cancel because it was a 10-year equity loan. I was at the end of my 9th year. In 2015 received lien notice with a $200 total fee for having the equity loan under the minimum for two years. I called the Charter One with little help except to fax a request or go to a local branch. Went to a local branch only to be told I signed the contract 10 years ago and agreed to pay fees.

She said I could have cancelled equity loan just had to pay $100 the year before. I told her that was the issue when I came in the year before. I told them when I paid off the loan I did not need the line of credit. Now I have this lien hanging over my head for paying off my mortgage and equity loan early. This is how they treat good customers who pay off early and on-time. No wonder they are changing their name to Citizen Bank.

In October 2014 I received an advertisement Postcard from Charter One Bank Promising $200 to me if I open a new checking account! I took the ad-card to the branch in Warren Michigan (very near my home)! I sat with an associate "Jessica" and handed her the $200 New-account incentive card saying I would like to redeem it with a new checking. She took the card from me and with a single motion she hurriedly dropped into her desk drawer and after opening my account (with an additional $40 cash deposit), I inquired about the $200 and when I would see this in my account and she assured me that it would be available in "90 DAYS". I took her at her word (my first mistake) and went home without the $200 incentive Card (my second mistake)!

I got home and immediately called Social Security to direct deposit my monthly check to the new account. And for the following three months I made many cash and direct deposits as well as many, many normal transactions. Now; the 90 days have more than past and my $200 incentive never materialized so I went to the branch to inquire and the manager (whose name I don't recall) he spent time looking at his computer then told me "the person that opened your account misquoted and your money will be deposited in 120 days and to return in mid February and I will personally see to the deposit." So I agreed that mistakes happen and went on my merry way with The Branch Managers "word" (my 3rd mistake)...

NOW Comes TODAY! I returned and again sat with the same manager. He again peered into his computer and they told me some NEW BS about "your account was opened in the FOURTH QUARTER, and the $200 NEW ACCOUNT INCENTIVE would not be available until "THE END OF MARCH". I complained that I was just getting a run-around, and his reply was; "You can wait or if you wish you can close your account and go to another bank".

I have just now read other complaints on this site today about Carter One (Citizens) Bank and over and over, account holders have complained about seeming misappropriation of their money either by POLICY or doubtful happen stance it is evident; This Bank Is Running A Corrupt Institution! I JUST WANT WHAT’S MINE...

My husband deposited his check as he has done for the last 10+ years. On Jan 26th he went to the local branch to deposit his employment check. The check always clears by the following day which is always on Friday. We schedule bill payments as always based on pay day. Well, Charter One's equipment was not working properly the day the check was deposited and it was not processed. So, I called on Friday and find out that they do not see where a check was deposited. Finally, they credit the account with the amount that should of processed back on 1/26/15.

On Monday I check my account and realize they charged us $105 of overdraft fees. I am sick to my stomach when I realized that they just took our money and they were the one with the faulty equipment and software. Long story short... I finally get them to agree that they took the money without justification. I was told our money will be returned within 24 hours. So now I am really upset that I have to wait another 24 hours to retrieve my money that they took unjustifiably.

Then today I check my account and realized that they sneaked in another $35 late fee from 2/2/15. When I call today the lady tells me, "you didn't have sufficient funds and that is where the charges stem." I go check our transaction and realize the reason we didn't have sufficient funds was because Charter One stole $105 that day from my account. I had to call back and explain myself again for the 8th time since 1/26/15.

This BANK is definitely a FRAUD and should be put out of BUSINESS! I have 3 savings & 2 checking accounts with Charter One for the last 10+ years. I am taking my Business elsewhere and plan to spread the WORD!!! I am going to be reimbursed the money they took from me, but I feel I must warn other hard-working people of how this bank handles their customer and their customer's money.

I have had trouble with the bank ever since I took this line of credit. They always say they don't have proof of flood insurance, I always have to have it sent to them twice. They keep requiring me to carry more flood insurance than I owe on my loan. There was a lawsuit of which I took part. I received a letter that said that as a result of the lawsuit I had the option to carry either Replacement cost, maximum flood insurance or the unpaid balance of my loan. I chose the unpaid balance, they have charged me for additional flood insurance anyway. When I call they read a script and tell me I have to carry the higher amount. The info they requested was faxed to riverside. However I can't call there as they give you no phone number. I need help.

On Dec 1st I was robbed of my checking account and debit card. I cancelled the account and opened a new acct. The original account stayed active so any remaining checks would clear. This bank still allowed funds to be taken, even as far as taking money out of the original account to put in my savings and charge me an NSF fee. I have been with this bank 25 years and never bounced a check! I incurred $300 worth of charges. Instead of waiving the fees they lost a great customer! Also I spent a day off work to handle this with a branch associate and was never informed that I had to change by bill pay to the new account as that was still going to divert to the old account. WOW, I am planning on filing a small claims lawsuit so no one else goes through this ordeal!

Charter One bank made a $56,000 deposit in my account that wasn't mine, they withdrew it. I asked them to erase it from my statement, they refused. I got in heated arguments with them, they closed down my account. I got a hold of attorney general and other place. They still didn't budge.

On November 3rd two online bill pays were supposedly sent to AT&T as well as Aaron's. November 6th is when the companies were supposed to receive them. The companies called my spouse and I on the 7th of November telling us they never received the payments. I called the bank and spoke with an associate named Sandra. She said that the checks were probably lost in the mail. She advised us to cancel the checks. Sandra said we would incur 35 dollar stop payment fees for each check, but that she personally would go into the account the following day and reimburse those fees.

Well the next day came around and the fees were still not reimbursed. I called and spoke with a manager named Melissa on Sunday. Melissa stated that she would look into it and give me a call the very next day. That brings us to today Monday the 10th of November. After I had been told that we would get a call back we never received one so I called. I spoke with Melissa and she advised that it was being investigated because Sandra never notated the account. They had people listening to all the calls to verify what Sandra said. My spouse got angry and called them back. She spoke with a manager named Nitinin. My wife let him know that it does not take almost a week to listen to three ten minute phone calls.

After the manager argued with my wife, my wife asked if this is how they treat all customers and veterans. The manager said nothing. My wife continued and stated that she will be calling the Attorney General because this bank is robbing their customers and not only customers but disabled veterans. At that point she hung up on the manager. We will be with drawing all of our monies and changing our direct deposit from the VA and SSDI to a different bank. I would like to warn all to stay far far away from this bank! They are thieves!!!!!

Customer stole check, forged it. Charter One stated signature matches signature card. Forger did not even spell last name correct. Charter One refuses to pay.

Charter One Bank allowed someone who did not have ownership of my account create an online profile in my name and gave them access to all my personal account information. I have been trying to resolve this with the bank for over 15 months now. I have filed a police report and have asked the bank for all information on this online profile and they refuse to give me the information without a lawyer requesting this information. The bank has been no help whatsoever and I feel violated again. It was my employer's wife who opened up the profile and I have lost my job and medical benefits over this situation. The name of the medical practice is South Valley Internal Medicine in Trenton Michigan. Dr. Jonathan Lovy is the owner.

I had a home equity loan with Charter One and it came due. They wanted me to sign up for 7.5% interest to continue the loan. I am not a banker and I don't understand everything. All I know is that I paid faithfully for years and this came up. I was trying to figure out what to do in the meantime. They ruined my credit. I paid them $28000 cash and now my car and homeowners is going up (8000.000 for auto and $1000 for home because my credit rating.). What can I do. I am 56 years old and they are extorting huge amounts from me. Please help!

I am so disgusted with this bank and their employees that I will close my account once all transactions clear. I find it stressful and unnerving to be with this bank and have been a loyal customer since 2006. I will also see if I can start an investigation into their banking practices and would strongly urge others to go elsewhere for their banking needs. I transferred money into my checking account from savings on 6/9/14. My account was positive at the time but I knew I needed to add money into the account to cover checks that would clear. My account immediately reflected the correct amount and I went to bed feeling confident that had enough in the account.

Lo and behold, I was hit with fees the next day and immediately called the branch where I opened my account in Plymouth, Michigan. The clerk told me that "no", I would not be assessed fees as I had transferred money into the account. I let it go until today but I was clearly assessed two fees. I was told that I was not credited the transfer "right away" and no one is able to tell me what time the checks cleared or when they decided to "credit" my transfer. I have asked repeatedly why my online statement then did not reflect a shortage on the evening of 6/9, if there was one, and was told, "I don't have an answer for that". They don't have an answer because they took fees even though I had enough money in the account to cover the transactions.

I have found that if Charter One can hit you with fees, they will. They manipulate debits and credits so that they can take all of the fees they can. I have a request to see if I can get to the bottom of this but I don't expect much help. Their staff and management told me to take my business elsewhere if I was unhappy. Their mission statement is a joke and I will be happy to move my banking elsewhere. I do not normally complain but I just want to get the word out that others need to be careful,. This institution is run in a questionable manner. They were recently involved in a class action lawsuit for this issue and had to award customers fee rebates. They obviously have not learned their lesson.

Charter one bank is the worst bank around. Customer service is not a part of their vocabulary. As for hidden checking account fees they are, no doubt, the best. So if you like being treated like crap, enjoy being charged fees without your knowledge, called a liar, then this is the bank for you.

This bank must have some agenda that I am not aware of today. I have had the same checking account with them since 1996. Today, I received a letter that they are closing my accounts in the next 10 days. All of my accounts have more than sufficient funds. I called, can't get a straight answer. I went into the branch, can't get a straight answer. The branch manager said that the higher powers and the company responsible for closing accounts will not even tell him the reason why. I said hey wait a minute that's not right. I should have the right to know what the issue is. What if this problem is due to identity theft or other fraudulent activity? STAY AWAY FROM A BANK THAT DOES THINGS LIKE THIS.

Three years ago, my ex-wife stole thousands of dollars from one of my Charter One Bank Accounts by writing fraudulent checks and buying things online. She wiped out my account and wiped out my overdraft protection entirely and took the overdraft deep into negative territory. Obviously, I was hit with enormous fees and penalties that I couldn't begin to keep up with. When I attempted to explain the situation to Charter One, their response was "too bad". They claimed there was nothing they could do. I sucked it up and worked out a payment plan with incredibly high interest that I've been paying since. In July of this year, I got a call from Charter One saying that if I paid a certain amount of money then they would close the account and it would finally all be over. So I paid it. Now it's a couple of months later and they have started calling me.

Apparently, my account was never closed and they claim that I still owe them money. They call me while at work, do not leave a voice message, and when I call the number back, the number leads to nothing more than an answering machine asking me if I would like to make a payment. I am not able to talk to an actual human. The only time I was able to talk to an actual person was when they actually called me while I was on break so I was able to answer. They simply read from a script, told me I still owed them the money, and had no idea as to what I was talking about when I told them about the supposed and final payment I made back in the summer. They were completely perplexed as to why I suddenly paid them so much more money one month as opposed to the normal monthly payments I was making. The call ended with them saying that a supervisor would call me back. Instead, they continue to call me from the same number while I'm at work with no way for me to get back to them. I loathe this bank. I am paying for my ex's criminal activities and my bank's negligence. This is fun.

Long story short, it took us 4 branch visits to get my husband set up on my existing account. We had to make three debit card requests and each one had some form of user error making it not work. With the last one, the address for the pin and card to be mailed to was missing the state and zip code. The bank's phone operator said the card and pin were likely floating around at a post office somewhere - undeliverable. We still do not have a debit card for him after 6 weeks, several branch visits and phone calls. What is worse is that the branch failed to enter his immigration information correctly and subsequently lost the copies of these important visa documents that contained a good detail of private information. We were just told that we have to bring them into the branch for a 5th time to make another card request. The issue that does not make sense is that his name is officially on the account, and the immigration papers were required to make that happen. Yet no one knows where they went. I just tried to write a complaint to Charter One, and the place to make a complaint was very difficult to find. After finally locating it, the form errored out 3 times and I was not able to write a formal complaint. We will be switching banks immediately.

This bank intentionally confuses customers by giving them inaccurate balance information regarding pending debit transactions, making it very easy to overdraw. Then, once you overdraw, they change the order in which transactions clear - they don't clear in the order that you made them or even in the order that you might have seen them presented in on your online banking (in fact, if you are banking with this bank and you check your online banking, my biggest advice is to take screenshots of what you see in your online banking - you'll notice that the order that things clear, etc. will often change).

They clear the most expensive debit transactions first (they say the rationale is that they assume those transactions are the most important to you, so they want to be sure they go through - which makes no sense because all your pending debit transactions will go through if they were approved at the point of sale). This strategy makes it easy to prey on those who are close to overdrawing. For instance, if you might have lost track of your account balance (likely because Charter One was reporting it to you inaccurately to start with) and overspent with a larger transaction that overdrew your checking account, instead of just paying the overdraft fee for this transaction, the bank switches around the fees so this last, most expensive transaction clears first - making all of the other smaller transactions you made prior overdraw your account one right after the other. That means instead of just one overdraft fee, you often end up with several piled on top of each other all at once.

To make matters worse, their overdraft fees are very expensive - they average at around $33 and can get into the $40 range. And once your account is negative, they continue to charge you an additional fee every few days or so for it being negative. A friend of mine purchased a $5 hamburger that he did not realize he did not have the money to cover (due to inaccurate balance reporting). The hamburger overdrew his account, but by the time the transactions had been switched around and all of the fees had been piled on, within a week or so he owed about $300 in fees for what should have been a $5 overdraw that at a normal bank would just have incurred one $25 fee. They also often hold payroll checks that should instantly be made available or money will appear to be available in your online banking but will still have a hold on it (and you will get charged overdraft fees for trying to use it). I could go on and on but I (and my friend) ended up leaving after spending thousands in ridiculous fees and haven't looked back or had any issues at any banks since.

On December 6, we applied for a mortgage. We wanted to refinance; they were offering a lower rate. After submitting the proper documents, we were told by Jon ** that everything "looks great and that we will not have an issue with refinancing." Every week we got emails and calls saying they needed documents (documents that were already submitted). We resubmitted the paper work and chalked it off to disorganization on their part.

Soon, weeks turned into months. In January 2013, we were told that the underwriters had the application, but that he (Jon **) would talk to them and speed up the process. Throughout the months of January, February, March, April and May, we heard nothing, but we were reassured that we would get the loan. Did they stop calling? No, they needed more of the same, more pay stubs, tax info, and our social security number. What happened to the information we already submitted?

As advised by my lawyer, we withdrew the application and asked for our application fee back. Jon is deliberately ignoring me. Even the branch in which we applied said they would look into the matter. We never heard back. I think their practices are very deceitful and warrant a class action suit.

Nothing, she would not help me. You are fast to take me money but give back to me when asked about a mistake.

My mother called me at work to inform me the bank teller refused to give her requested funds from her account on November 16, 2012. She said the teller told her your driver’s license is expired and I can't give you the money. My mother didn't realize the Secretary of State did not send out her new driver’s license to her so she has been using the one she had. This same license was good enough for her to deposit a large check of over $7,000 a few weeks back, but she could not touch her funds on a Friday?

What truly bothers me as I pointed out to a manager when I had to leave work to bring her to the bank is this teller did not even have compassion to ask the elderly woman to go to the manager and maybe as a human being, try to work something out for her. What bothers me to no end is how many other elderly folk does this happen to? My mother is lucky she has family looking out for her - what if someone else doesn't? And they do not know what to do or who to talk to? We are going to change banks this week because of this very bad experience.

In August of 2011, Charter One suspended our Home Equity Line of Credit ("HELOC") along with thousands of other customers. Charter One and their parent company, RBS, sought to escape the risk they perceived these equity lines represented, even though the majority were not delinquent. When the letters of suspension were sent out, they had no date on them, a strange thing for business correspondence to not have. RBS/Charter One cancelled most lines based on an "AVM Appraisal" or Automated Valuation Model, the so-called "Drive-by" Appraisal. Ours put our home at $9,000.00 below what we needed to keep the line of credit. And if we paid a $285.00 fee to the bank, they would have their own appraiser investigate, and then make a determination. Their appraiser came in $39,000.00 less than the AVM, and used comps that were 75 years old for an eight year old house.

When we complained, we were told that "60 Days had passed, and no appeals were permitted" anymore. What a different tune when they were hit with a class action suit challenging the "60 Day Rule". RBS/Charter One was, and is deceptive in their practices .They now face fines in the hundreds of millions in another scandal, where they attempted to manipulate the LIBOR rate. So much for the friendly local banker.

The IRS deposited my refund check in a charge off account. I spoke to the bank and the people from the IRS myself. I gave them my new address and they said they would mail my balance to my home and to call my bank. They said they mailed it to Norman ** at **. I don't live there. I told Charter Bank, "Why would you put my check in Norman **'s name?" I then called my attorney. I told them, "I want you guys to give me my check back to me." Charter Bank told me I would have to go after Norman. I told Charter Bank I don't know where he is at this time nor do I know where he lives. Now I'm going to file a case against Charter Bank if they don't mail me my check. Now Charter Bank can go after Norman but I won't do such thing. I asked them to put a stop on the check. As of 8-3-2012, the check has not been cashed. Will someone please contact me about this matter?

Poor customer service, no help at the tell desk. A black female employee basically ignored me while on the phone and her associate was handling drive-thru and teller responsibilities. I am appalled and ended up just walking out of the bank and going to another Charter One in town. Thank God I don't bank with them; I was just depositing a check for a family member.

We've been customers for the past 30 years, my husband and I, and they are great! We frequent the Route 303 Streetsboro, Howe Ave., Cuyahoga Falls and Route 303 Hudson locations. They are so pleasant, friendly, accommodating, and just plain personable. They treat you like friends. They have big smiles on their faces when you approach the tellers or when they greet you going through the drive-thru.

Every one of your Charter One drive-thru and teller stations should have the hello block letters like the one on Howe Avenue in Cuyahoga Falls. What a great way to greet your customers right off the bat! I bought a set of those blocks for my window sill at work. I love them! I am a very friendly person, so they fit my office perfectly. They should be in all your locations as your personal bank trademark!

I have had and still have several accounts with Charter One Bank. Recently, I was shocked to find out that Charter One Bank had charged my business checking account a total of $273 claiming insufficient funds in that account. I knew that I had all the funds available before the purchases I made. When I made a phone call to the bank to sort out the problem, I was informed that some of my deposits I made a couple of days earlier had not cleared. I now strongly feel that the bank intentionally confuse or trick the customers to spend and charge fees to make money. Before I made any transaction, I checked my balance (online and on the phone) and was sure that the funds were available, both in my overdraft account and the current/checking account. This is not the first time I have been charged. I would like an investigation done of the bank in this issue. The branch officers have no powers to do anything since they were taken over by Citizen; therefore, complaining at the branch is of no use.

Charter One Bank Company Profile