4.0/5 (983 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Jennifer Schurman
Edited by Sally Jones

About Carrington Mortgage Services

Carrington Mortgage Services (NMLS #2600) is a full-service mortgage lender that provides various loan options to a wide range of borrowers. The company was founded in 2007 and has since served over 1.4 million customers. It offers a digital loan servicing experience through its online loan portal and mobile app.

Pros

• Check rates online
  • Flexible loan qualifications
  • Personalized online dashboard for account management

Cons

• No in-person branches
  • No phone support on weekends

Bottom Line

Carrington Mortgage Services offers a broad selection of home loans, including conventional, FHA, VA and USDA loans. Nearly all of its loan types allow flexible qualifications, with some permitting credit scores as low as 500. CMS is available to borrowers in 48 states.

Top Carrington Mortgage Services Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

John was assigned as my loan officer after a difficult and challenging three months trying to refinance my loan. John was familiar with the unconventional loan/deed issues that we...

Verified

Carrington helped me to purchase my current home. Being a widow with a young child made homebuying a hard process. Carrington helped walk me through the process and directed me to...

Rates

You can check rates for purchase loans on Carrington Mortgage Services’ website. From the home page, click “Purchase” and select that you’re not an existing customer. Once you answer questions about the home's purchase price, the property's ZIP code, your down payment amount, your income and your credit score, Carrington shows you loans you may qualify for along with interest rates and annual percentage rates (APRs).

CMS offers both fixed- and adjustable-rate loans. Adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs) have an introductory fixed-rate period that typically lasts five, seven or 10 years before the rate changes on a regular basis. An ARM could be a good choice if you want a lower rate to start or plan to either refinance or sell your home before the rate adjusts.

According to data provided under the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act, Carrington’s average home purchase rate from 2019 to 2021 was slightly higher than the national average. In 2021, its average home purchase rate was 0.75% higher than the national average.

Carrington Mortgage Services average home purchase rate vs. national average

YearDifference from national average
2021+0.75%
2020+0.68%
2019+0.74%
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data. Rates reflect noncommercial home purchase loans only.

Application process

You can start the application process with Carrington Mortgage Services online by calling to speak with a loan officer. Be ready to answer questions about your income, assets and debts; the company uses this information to pre-qualify you for a loan.

During the application process, you’ll need to submit specific financial documents, such as W-2s, pay stubs, bank statements and previous years’ tax returns, to your loan officer.

Rosanne, a ConsumerAffairs reviewer from Hazlet, New Jersey, said of working with Carrington Mortgage Services:

"I can't say enough about my dealings with Ben, my loan specialist at Carrington Mortgage. … Ben is pleasant, knowledgeable, caring, and excellent with communication. He is easy to speak with and takes the time to explain every detail of the process and answer any questions you may have. My loan processor, Tiffany, was also excellent at keeping me informed as it came time to close. She responded to my emails immediately, which is not something you often find."

Carrington Mortgage Services application features

FeaturesAvailability
Online application
Mobile document upload
Physical branchesSix states
Publishes minimum rate on website
Rate lock15 to 60 days
Pre-qualification (no hard credit pull)
Certified approval letter

Loan types

Carrington Mortgage Services offers a variety of loan products, including:

The company also offers a loan option called Carrington Flexible Advantage, which it says is ideal for those with low credit scores or high debt-to-income ratios, those who are self-employed or don’t track income traditionally, or those with a recent credit event, like a foreclosure or bankruptcy.

Carrington also has a Flexible Advantage Plus loan for those who have lower credit scores but are current on their debts, and a Prime Advantage loan for those with a credit score of at least 660 who don’t qualify for a conventional or government-backed mortgage.

Fixed-rate loans come in 15-year or 30-year terms. ARMs are available as 5/1, 7/1 or 10/1 loans. (A 5/1 ARM means the borrower will have a fixed interest rate for five years, then the interest rate will adjust every year after.)

In 2021, CMS reported 11,272 home purchase applications; it closed on 6,243 home purchase loans (55%). About 12% of these home purchase applications were denied.

Loan applications for home purchases only by year

202120202019
Home purchase applications11,27217,22713,445
Home purchase loans closed6,2439,0786,904
Home purchase applications denied1,3882,1721,941
Home purchase preapprovals denied036125
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act data. Includes conventional, USDA, VA and FHA mortgages.

Refinancing

You can refinance with Carrington to pull cash out of your home's equity or change your rate or term. The company offers both conventional and government-backed refinance loans.

The majority of the mortgages Carrington Mortgage Services originated from 2019 to 2021 were for refinancing. In 2021, about 83% were for rate-and-term refinances and cash-out refinances combined. Only about 17% of its loans in 2021 were for home purchases.

Home purchase vs. refinance loans by year

202120202019
Home purchase loans16.78%24.35%20.05%
Refinance loans44.04%48.50%45.66%
Cash-out refinance39.19%27.15%34.29%
Information pulled from public Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Data. Includes conventional, USDA, VA and FHA mortgages.

Requirements

Carrington Mortgage Services provides general borrower requirements by loan type. For conventional loans, Carrington requires a credit score of at least 620 and a down payment of 20% or more. It does offer Home Possible loans that require as little as 3% down.

If you’re applying for an FHA or VA loan with Carrington, you need a credit score of at least 500. FHA loans require as little as 3.5% down, while the other government-backed loans don’t require money down.

Carrington’s Advantage loans permit credit scores down to 550 and allow you to qualify even with negative credit events.

National mortgage requirements by type

Min. credit scoreMin. down paymentCompare with other lenders
ConventionalTypically 620Typically 3%Mortgage lenders
FHA5003.5% with 580 credit scoreFHA lenders
VASet by lender (often 580)0%VA lenders
USDASet by lender (often 640)0%USDA lenders

Cost and fees

Carrington Mortgage Services discloses some, but not all, fees online. Many of the fees you pay for your loan depend on the loan type, the loan amount, your down payment amount, where the property is located and other factors.

You’ll receive an estimate of closing costs and other fees after you apply for a loan from Carrington, but you can also ask a loan officer at the time you apply. At least three days before the closing, CMS will give you a finalized list of closing costs in a document called a Closing Disclosure.

FAQ

How does Carrington Mortgage Services work?

Carrington Mortgage Services offers purchase and refinance loans to customers across the U.S. To apply for a mortgage, you can start online or call the company. A loan officer works with you to determine your needs and guide you through the process, from pre-qualification through closing. After your loan closes, you can use the online dashboard to verify loan details, see account activity and make payments.

Is Carrington Mortgage Services legit?

Carrington Mortgage Services is a legitimate mortgage lender that’s been in business since 2007. The company offers a number of home purchase and refinancing options for borrowers throughout most of the U.S.

Where is Carrington Mortgage Services available?

Carrington Mortgage Services is available in all states except Massachusetts and North Dakota. The company has branch locations in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Indiana and Maryland.

Carrington Mortgage Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrington Mortgage Services?

Original review: March 25, 2022

John was assigned as my loan officer after a difficult and challenging 3 months trying to refinance my loan. John was familiar with the unconventional loan/deed issues that were occurring. After reaching out to me initially to start a new loan application John provided a smooth path through my refinance process. He was always professional, knowledgeable, patient with my many questions and lack of understanding the refinance process. He was available and provided prompt responses to my calls and emails. I will definitely rate John as a 10 on your customer service survey and nominate him as a Best Catch! Thank you John!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I contacted Carrington Mortgage Services to refinance my existing loan, upon calling I was connected to a loan officer, Ben **. He made the process so easy and so smooth. I highly recommend Ben as your loan officer. Ben was very professional, knowledgeable, kind and responsive. It was an absolute pleasure to work with Ben and the loan processor Julie **, who finalized all the paperwork in a timely manner. I was very happy with her help as well. I would refer all my family and friends for any mortgage services they made need. Very satisfied client. To Ben and Julie, It was a pleasure doing business with you! I have been so impressed by your thoroughness, detail and consideration. I appreciate everything you’ve done for my family and I. Thank you again for such a great experience.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

The past 19 months have been very difficult for me (COVID/medical issues) and I got behind in my mortgage payments. I was recently granted a forbearance for my mortgage and I called to see if there was anything that I needed to do and to say "Thank You!" From the moment that Belinda answered the phone I felt like I was a person and not just a loan number. She was bright and cheerful and professional in everything that she did. Belinda explained everything regarding my situation and made certain that she answered any questions that I had. I was so relieved by the end of the conversation that I became tearful (but they were tears of relief and happiness). Belinda treated me with respect and dignity. She is a true credit to your company and I look forward to working with her.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

I wanted more information on refinancing my current mortgage. Had no idea where to begin or what questions I needed to ask let alone know what answers to look for. Bridgett was very helpful and patient. Her explanations were right on mark. By the time our conversation was complete I was very confident about understanding the plan. If you find yourself needing help understanding the process of refinancing a mortgage please call Carrington Mortgage and ask for Bridget **, She's an asset to Carrington Mortgage. Mortgage holder V.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

I called in today as a new customer to Carrington with some questions about my loan. Andrea addressed all of my concerns and provided me with additional insights that I didn't even know I needed. She was extremely helpful, understanding, patient and giving of her time: top-notch, professional service. As a new customer, this was really a great first impression of the company. If everyone else at Carrington is as helpful and pleasant as Andrea, then the company is certainly set up for great future success. Thank you Andrea! - Jason B.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

We submitted our application for assistance and were unsure if it had been received and if anything else was needed. I contacted Carrington Mortgage and spoke with Lynn. She was accommodating and informative. There were some additional documents required and she explained this request thoroughly. We resubmitted the application for assistance and Lynn responded with a follow-up. She has excellent customer service skills and is always professional in her communications with us.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

There was some confusion due to personnel changes. Once I began working with Stacey, everything ran very smoothly. It was easy to communicate with Stacey & receive prompt updates. Stacey was fantastic, don't lose her!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Jeff is the best of the best! He kept me updated on every step of my refinance and even when we hit a massive roadblock, he was there through it all. He's thorough, easy to speak to and understands the process and how stressful it is for the borrower. I can't sing his praises enough! Carrington has a great employee and he deserves all the recognition of being the best representative for your company!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

I can't say enough about the professionalism, knowledge and excellent customer service Tom gave me. I truly appreciate Tom listening to me and assisting me in my time of need and giving me a peace of mind and hope. Tom's customer service is excellent! I can't thank him enough. God bless you Tom in all you do.

Original review: July 13, 2022

My mortgage was transferred to Carrington March 2022 and I've had difficulties with this company ever since. Not only did I not receive any notification of the transfer, I didn't receive statements or other notices of my bill with them. My first notification from Carrington was after my prior lender stopped forwarding my payments that I had on auto pay through my bank and a notice to foreclose. I called to correct the issue and address the late fees assessed. I was told before the fees could be waived my account had to be brought current. I was also told Carrington's policy requires customers to submit a written request by fax or mail.

After escalating the matter, I was told once my account was current I could call back to have it waived. However, upon bringing it current 30 days later, I was told the fees couldn't be waived with a verbal request because I pay more than my required monthly payment and it didn't include instructions for how to apply the excess funds. As a result, the fees were paid and no longer available to be waived. After more escalations, I was given an "unapplied funds" solution, where I was told a request for the fee amount was submitted as unapplied funds and I could call back to request that amount be applied to my account however I wish.

I am still following up with the company to complete this request, if the unapplied funds is even accepted. The only reason I can come up with that Carrington would have such a late fee waiver policy is to filter out customers who are unwilling to put forth the effort to submit and follow-up on the request. This should be investigated as unfair, abusive tactics.

ConsumerAffairs writers primarily rely on government data, industry experts and original research from other reputable publications to inform their work. To learn more about the content on our site, visit our FAQ page. Specific sources for this article include:
    1. Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council, “HMDA Data Publication.” Accessed Sept. 12, 2022.

Carrington Mortgage Services Company Information